GOP going after AARP?

posted at 11:58 am on April 10, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The era of transparency has been taking some tricky twists and turns lately, and not all of the focus has been on the federal government. Unions, public broadcasting and others have come under scrutiny. The next subject of investigation, if certain Republicans have their way at least, will be AARP.

House Republican tax-writers want the IRS to investigate whether AARP should lose its tax-exempt status.

In a letter sent to IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman Friday, Reps. Wally Herger (R-Calif.), Dave Reichert (R-Wash.) and Charles Boustany (R-La.) say a recent congressional probe “gave rise to a number of serious concerns regarding AARP’s organizational structure and activities, and it raised questions about whether AARP continues to qualify as a tax-exempt organization under Internal Revenue Service Code (IRC) 501(c)4.”

A 40-page report recently released by the trio of lawmakers accuses AARP of refusing to provide information about its practices.

We can either dance around what we’re supposed to say when politicians get up to activities such as this or we can refuse to pull any punches and just tell it like it is. On the surface, every organization in the nation has to follow the existing rules regarding taxation. If you find tax exempt groups skirting those regulations they need to be brought into line or have their status changed.

But that’s not what’s really going on here, is it?

AARP is huge, with nearly 36 million members, and they’ve been around for so long they’re practically an institution. (Full disclosure: Yes, I’m a member. Yes, I think they provide some terrific services and programs.) And they’re operating pretty much as they always have. But a number of prominent Republican leaders are still upset that AARP supported Obamacare. And it’s been made clear already that AARP isn’t going to sign on for any major cuts or restructuring in Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security if seniors view it as endangering the benefits they receive or those still to come to their grandchildren. So now the GOP is considering taking the whip to them.

AARP is probably a lot more leery of playing ball on any entitlement changes this year. The last time they endorsed a move to make changes to one of the programs nearly 50,000 of their members quit in protest and they were left to deal with the backlash. It’s not just a “third rail” for politicians.

This is one tactic which the Republicans should look long and hard at before moving forward. If they wish to ride the white stallion of purity and say they simply want all non-profits to follow the law, then fine. It’s a noble sentiment, but they had better be ready to pay the price. Politically it looks like a suicide play. In case the leadership needs reminding, seniors vote at a more consistent rate than any other age group, and they are also the demographic group most likely to skew conservative and vote Republican. And for the most part, they like AARP.

A Republican attack on AARP for blatantly obvious partisan, political reasons could blow up in their faces. And doing this would probably just open the door for their opponents to begin calling for similar “purity driven” investigations of other non-profit groups who Republicans might not be so excited to go after, such as the Chamber of Commerce. Oh, wait… it’s already happening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is all part of the Gramsci-an march through the institutions — infiltration of once-worthy organizations and using them to lobby for more vice in the name of the virtues they once possessed.

No group should be immune from scrutiny — and especially if they wrap themselves in the support of their members instead of the worth of their cause.

cthulhu on April 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

OmahaConservative on April 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

You didn’t get hit with any of that twister that hit Mapleton, IA, in Monona County, last night , did you?

a capella on April 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Gee, Jazz, I wonder why the Republicans are evilly and cruelly attacking AARP. After all, AARP is fair and nonpartisan. But hey, you know how Republicans hate old people, because Republicans never get old, so they don’t have to worry about old people.

Oh wait, maybe it was the fact that they shilled for ObamaCare while standing to make billions of dollars. Maybe it’s the fact that, just like lots of other non-partisan organizations, they’re liberal hacks. You know, like Planned Parenthood. Gee, Jazz, why are those evil Republicans picking on Planned Parenthood?

Just a really, really weak post.

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I dumped AARP and moved over the a much better organization, AARP are a bunch of libs anyway…

foxone on April 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

HEY JAZZ:

How about a step by step guide for drowning puppies next week. (You may actually want to do a little research this time though)

On the bright side, it couldn’t get a WORSE response (it’s only UP from here, baby).

LMAO.
Baffling.

Tim_CA on April 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I rarely read the writings of Jazz Shaw…this one confirms my previous reasoning. Why does HA persist in allowing this drivel?

d1carter on April 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM

He’s one of Ed’s fair, judicious, discerning, middle-of-the-road, adult, mature, nonpartisan, above-the-fray buddies.

Like the media.

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM

This post borders on dishonest. Maybe Jazz should address some of the issues raised in the comments.

NAAAAHH!

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Wow… This was the most RINO article I’ve ever read on this site.

I’m not sure what’s more shocking, the author’s apparent ignorance of the role that the AARP serves by working as an arm of the democratic party, or the fact that the AARP is about as Non-Profit as as a labor union.

The problem with this article is that it’s based on a premise that the AARP is not acting in bad faith as a “non-profit”

I believe that premise is false, and furthermore though I do not recall having ever read anything by this author, the ignorance displayed is disurbing to me from the perspective of wondering who is vetting hot air staff.

Jones Zemkophill on April 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Actually, if Congress decides that what AARP does that violates its tax-exempt status is just fine and dandy, that sets an interesting precedent.

It could be very useful for some purposes, and quite harmful to the integrity of the tax-exemption laws for others.

Congress has an army of legal advisors giving it perspective when it does things like this. I doubt the Republicans made this move without considering their input.

J.E. Dyer on April 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

AARP is owned by The Hartford, in case this wasn’t already posted and wasn’t already known.

Hartford (Chris Dodd) just took a huge hit and sold its Specialty Risk operations.

The mutiny against the AARP (Chris Dodd) debacle during the ObamaCare forced legislation did them in.

AARP = The Hartford Insurance Company

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I am not a member and I tell them so and why whenever I get one of their mailings! Grow a pair seniors and let them be hurt in the pocket book for all their panderings to the libs/progressives/communists and their ilk and the huge amount they will get from this admin! Talk about unions, aarp is a criminal organ!

Bambi on April 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

AARP = The Hartford Insurance Company

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Oh, and AARP is tax exempt; owned by The Hartford and/or Christopher Dodd.

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I can see it now. Jazz, Bob Dole and David Frum all protesting in front of the cameras. “Republicans Hate Old People!!!!!”

Big Orange on April 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

It would appear that Jazz has taken concern trolling to a new level.

Just an utterly pathetic grasp of facts & principles. Loose shit from start to end.

I cannot find the words to adequately describe the amount of fail here.

krakatoa on April 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Christopher. Dodd. AARP. The Hartford. New York Life.

Checkitout!

/You’ll be amazed!

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

They should be working hard to yank their non-profit status. AARP is both a partisan political operation of the DNC and a profit-making insurance business.

Jaibones on April 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Going after the AARP is not the only mean and cruel thing the Republicans are doing. They’re going after the teachers’ unions too, and everybody knows that the teachers’ unions want what’s best for the children. The Republicans HATE teachers! Why?!

Why be a Republican when they’re so eeevil?

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Are AARP services so valuable that a conservative would sign on to them? I’ve been tempted, but simply cannot get past the moral stumbling block. Some things I would rather do without.

paul1149 on April 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I have accused Jazz Shaw of a number of things. Being a conservative was never one of them.

bw222 on April 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I refused to join them when eligible and when AMAC was instituted, joined them…Assoc of Mature American Citizens. They are growing, are based on conservative principles and beliefs and have pretty much the same deals that that commie org has. Check them out.

retiredeagle on April 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Why be a Republican when they’re so eeevil?

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Since you brought up Public Employee Unions, take a look at what the DROP program is. It’s a program that allows retirees at the tender age of 42 years to “retire” with full benefits including pension and healthcare. Once “retired”, they re-apply and are re-integrated into their old tenured positions and can have more than double retirement pension and bennies at the tender age of 54.

Not a bad deal for being an oppressed slave with the American Taxpayer paying for all of it. Not a bad deal at all.

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Jazz Shaw: If only the Republicans would surrender!

Previously I haven’t paid too much attentions to Jazz Shaw, after reading this, I’ll not bother to read his work.

RJL on April 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

You thought the green room was named so for being the staging area?

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM

AARP is a business with tax-exempt status. They make huge profits off their insurance and other services and compete unfairly with private insurers.

They are a Democratic lobbying outfit as well, and 100% against ANY reforms in SS or MC, the grandchildren be damned.

Let ‘em dog food.

Adjoran on April 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

So they may be a tool of O’s administration by lending their name to the ObamaCare cause, they may support widening the medicare gap, they’re unscrupulos and lie to their membership….but hey, they saved me $6.00 at Disneyland…..?

You’re a great American Jazz Shaw.

Tim_CA on April 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

a capella on April 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

No, and my church bodies Mission Central in Mapleton was spared, thanks be to God.

OmahaConservative on April 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Let ‘em dog food.

Adjoran on April 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

That is hilarious. Back in the errrr… I want to say late 60′s and into the mid 70′s the AARP actually had some seniors testing out dog food for its tastiness. My grandmother actually participated for a free AARP card. It was all the rage.

And her comments? “Eh, it wasn’t that bad”
My Grandfather: “WTF, Dorothea”?

I remember.

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

If AARP enjoys tax exempt status, why shouldn’t USAA? They both provide auto insurance, retirement funding advice, life programs, health programs and they are both AAA rated.

Why does AARP get tax exemption when USAA does not?

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Well, Jazz, like I told my mother, if you’re a member of AARP availing yourself of its “terrific services and programs,” you’re part of the problem.

Under the guise of protecting and serving senior citizens, AARP is an organization dedicated solely to its own bottom line. Its tax-exempt status is just more injury piled on top of more insult.

No self-respecting conservative could possibly support this leftist organization particularly after its disgraceful politicking on Medicare Part D and ObamaCare. So which is it? Are you self-loathing or not a conservative?

SukieTawdry on April 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

SukieTawdry on April 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Christopher. Dodd.

Key West Reader on April 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I just want to pile on Jazz Shaw for continuing to be a member of AARP. You’re a part of the problem and you’re actively screwing my generation over so you can get $5 off your next meal at Fudruckers, or whatever.

strictnein on April 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Just another county heard from on “Jazz Shaw is an idiot for supporting AARP” question.

AARP is a shuck, and they have categorically never done anything to support seniors. Discount rates at fast-food “restaurants” doesn’t qualify.

Also, why shouldn’t Republicans demand investigations of “non-profits”? I’m soon to be 66, and I have never seen a non-profit that wasn’t blatantly lefty, both in its stated goals and its staff.

Never.

warbaby on April 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

If for NO other reason to go after them, they put the commie Danny Glover on the cover of their commie magazine!

inspectorudy on April 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Love the picture. Orson Bean as Ebeneezer Scrooge.

kingsjester on April 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

This isn’t even a thoughtful contrarian piece. It’s a one-sided media hit job.

If I didn’t know any better I’d think they let him post this drivel just to rile up a bunch of Hot Aryans.

But that wouldn’t be very mature, thoughtful, middle-of-the-road, judicious, bipartisan, or considered.

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I agree. It increasingly feels like a bit of cheap provocation.

rrpjr on April 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Why is an article on the premiere Conserve website, Hot Air, linking Daily Kos?

kingsjester on April 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

The same reason they mainly link to Huffpo, NYT, LAT, MSLSD, Reuters, AP, Politico, ABC, BBC, and all of those other conservative news channels.

rmgraha on April 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

rmgraha on April 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I do it on my blog, too…but it’s usually to show how wrong they are.

kingsjester on April 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Why is an article on the premiere Conservative website, Hot Air, linking Daily Kos?

kingsjester on April 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Good question.

Better question: Why is the premiere Conservative website, Hot Air, run by a couple of squishes?

Best question: Why is the premiere Conservative website, Hot Air?

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious question: What is MM’s honest opinion of the current goings-on, wouldn’t I just love to know?

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Whenever AARP sends me letters and ‘membership’ cards (I AM NOT that old!), I return them immediately with a note as to why I will never be a member. AND after they shilled for Obamacare, I cancelled my Mom’s membership, too!

Screw AARP.

LASue on April 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Didn’t I just read here about a week ago that AARP supported O-Care because they’ll make a billion or so because their members will lose the extended Medicare plans?

Maybe selling their 36 million constituents down the river for a billion bucks is why they shouldn’t be tax-exempt. Just sayin’.

This post is almost as dumb as the one with the progressives wondering why they’re losing. Same reason AARP should get kicked in the @ss; because their lies don’t stand up to the light of day.

And Allah’s the one who gets called a RINO around here. We have a new Jazzy RINO.

SittingDeadRed on April 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Never been a member, but they always seem to know my new addresses.

Karmi – That’s because they buy their mailing lists by age and update them at least every year.

bgoldman on April 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM

paul1149 on April 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

In a one word answer…no. The AARP doesn’t offer anything that you can’t get elsewhere, often for free. They only promote their own insurance for starters, and it’s not that great. Their so-called discounts can be matched at any travel site, often bettered. Their prescription drug plan is the same as many others and not any better or cheaper. The people the AARP claims to help, low income seniors, will do better with state plans and discount cards from retailers, etc. So putting aside their pretense of caring when they are actually out to make money off Medigap policies and drug plans, you don’t need them at all….no matter what Jazz Shaw says.
As for Jazz Shaw, she sounds like shill for the AARP to me. I did alot of research when I retired and came to the conclusion I didn’t need them at all. I suggest she do the same.

Deanna on April 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Never joined when I became eligible, never will.

PatMac on April 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Okay, Jazz Shaw is a he? Geez my bad, I thought it was a she. Well his point of view in his articles always struck me as sort of from the feminine side or something. Sorry.

Deanna on April 10, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Jazz, you really stepped in it today. I am getting ready to be on the AARP mailing list but will never join. Amac, baby!!

ladyingray on April 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM
I agree. It increasingly feels like a bit of cheap provocation.

rrpjr on April 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I dunno. This one reeks of uninformed apologist squish to me (jazz is the guy you always end up arguing with at a BBQ because he “claims” he’s conservative, and he’s creating the impression that…..well, you know.).

Tim_CA on April 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

This article, ladies and gentlemen, is why de Tocqueville predicted America’s failure. “(Full disclosure: Yes, I’m a member. Yes, I think they provide some terrific services and programs.)…In case the leadership needs reminding, seniors vote at a more consistent rate than any other age group, and they are also the demographic group most likely to skew conservative and vote Republican. And for the most part, they like AARP.”

In other words, fiscal discipline is all well and good as long as I’ve got mine. The AARP is pro-spending, pro-nationalization, not for ideological reasons, but because they’re on the public tit. Your $16 annual fee isn’t what’s paying for those “terrific services.”

If we really want to cut spending, we have to be willing to kill our own sacred cows, not just bait the liberals by egging NPR. We have to stand for our stated principles, otherwise the pendulum will swing back on schedule — and this time, the clock will break. That means military cuts, irritating NIMBY seniors, and other things that will raise a hue and cry. It goes double for golf course auxiliary clubs like the Chamber of Commerce, which proved itself to be the liberal caricature of the GOP during the bailouts – not against welfare or spending, just welfare and spending on the poor.

De Tocqueville’s bet – that we would destroy ourselves by voting ourselves money to be paid by nebulous “others” – was made by an admirer, and so far we’ve proven him wrong. But the Frenchman’s ghost is still holding his ticket, and (however sorrowfully or belatedly) is still eligible to cash in.

HitNRun on April 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Any conservative that is a member of the AARP needs to have his head examined. They’re support of ObaMaocare was not an aberration, or bought by favorable regulations in it. It was a socialist organization supporting socialist legislation.

Slowburn on April 10, 2011 at 7:00 PM

You don’t need AARP for good programs, Jazz. According to their website, at least AMAC has some pretty good programs, and they certainly reflect your values better.

deucegeary on April 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

AARP represents senior citizens like greenpeace represents whales.

Wait, are other insurance marketing groups tax-exempt?

Seriously, what is with the preemptive surrender thing? It’s pretty lame.

Merovign on April 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Hell right, AARP should not be tax exempt. Their very purpose is to make money and be a shill for Democrats. It is an outrage they’ve been tax exempt for so long already.

WannabeAnglican on April 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM

The AARP is TAX EXEMPT????? I dropped my AARP membership 3 years ago. They are anti-gun.

Dandapani on April 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Jazz Shaw, let me see…
So you’d peddle your ass for two bucks off a Denny’s lunch special?

TexasJew on April 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Reminds me of the old joke with the punchline, “We know what you are, now we’re just negotiating the price!”

Jvette on April 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I have no clue why this is just coming out. I’m 64 years old and have been refusing AARP letters since I was 55. I’ve even sent them back to them with notes telling them to take me off their mailing list. My point in saying that is I recognized their politics 9 years ago, where have all the smart people been? This is nothing new, if you’ve really looked at their position papers. I wouldn’t say the AARP is a liberal group, per se, they just make their money off of liberal policies so that’s why they support them.

Anyway, I still refuse to join the AARP. I participated in a poll, not long ago, where they asked me about the AARP and I told them they were asking the wrong guy and commenced to tell them what I thought of them. The poll worker said that’s not the first time he’s heard that.

The AARP, like the Dixie Chicks, got into politics when they should have layed low. Now they’ve lost a lot of support, not so much from people who are members, but among people who they’ll need to support them in the future. Bad move AARP, bad move.

bflat879 on April 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM

JAZZ: I consider AARP like 7-up…

“Never had it… NEVER WILL!”

If you are a member of AARP, you are part of the problem and not part of the solution… A pox on both your houses…

Khun Joe on April 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Phuq Shaw. Liberal ass-clown.

Jaibones on April 10, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Jazz I think you are more suited to the site you linked to. Just saying……….

IowaWoman on April 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Anyone who thinks AARP solely exists to meet the needs of retired people has their proverbial head in the sand!

Look at how quickly AARP jumped to support Obamacare, literally before the ink was dry on the paper the system was printed on!

There is no way they should be getting tax-exempt status!

pilamaye on April 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM

…and the trains ran on time.
Just because something is popular, doesn’t mean they can break the law.
If they are not a non-profit, then they are not a non-profit, they lose that status.

right2bright on April 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM

This is shocking! I thought Jazz Shaw knew what the heck he was talking about until I read this peice!

Join AMAC instead of AARP. They are a conservative organization and did not back Obamacare. Well, they didn’t have a vested interest either and AARP was the org. that had the government gut Medicar Advantage. Just for that reason alone they ought to go out of business.

Vince on April 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM

…AARP is probably a lot more leery of playing ball on any entitlement changes this year. The last time they endorsed a move to make changes…

Baloney. Absolute, utter, contemptible, lying snot.

AARP supported Obamacare which cut a half trillion from Medicare purely because it knew that killing Medicare Advantage would force seniors like me to buy much MUCH more expensive Medicare add on policies endorsed by AARP. I’ve seen studies showing AARP will make billions off their support for Obamacare.

Lying, dishonest, look the other way while I take your health care away bullsh*t. I will die early because of this dishonest, greedy, senior fleecing organization.

I have ALREADY had my Medicare Advantage canceled last October, and I have had one of my existing doctors refuse to continue to see me as a patient.

And the people that are supporting lying about this and posting crap like this, I hope…well I can’t say what I hope for you, but I do hope it will be slow, cold and painful.

Liar.

Dwilkers on April 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Wow, you’re really well informed, aren’t you Jazz Shaw? By supporting Obamacare, AARP already signed on to cut HALF A TRILLION DOLLARS from Medicare. And they did that not because they believed it served the best interests of their members, but because they knew they’d make BILLIONS for themselves by selling Medigap insurance policies, which their members will now need to buy because of all the cuts to Medicare necessitated by Obamacare.

As for you, Jazz Shaw, you need to buy a clue because you obviously haven’t got one.

AZCoyote on April 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Thank you fellow Arizonan for saying that. You too Dwilkers

Hard Right on April 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Wow! I see all my fellow commenters have taken Jazz to school in the matter of AARP.

Jazz, please read and heed! They are right on this, and you’re not. Please get your RINO butt out of AARP ASAP!

Last year I told my 89-year-old mother about AARP’s shenanigans, and she canceled her (something like 30-year-long) membership and joined AMAC. I will add that the hubster and I are also going to join AMAC when we, um, “come of age”.

misterpeasea on April 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM

ACK! Not “Hot Aryans”, please! If there had been Internet p r 0 n in the 1930s in Germany… ;-)

I like to think of us as “HAers”, or maybe “Hot Airians” after the Arian heresy (‘cuz being a conservative at all is darn near heresy in some places!)

Just my $0.02…

Mary in LA on April 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I’d be interested in learning why this piece (I won’t say what it’s a piece of) was promoted from the Green Room, and who promoted it.

rmgraha on April 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I just had to log in for this.

First, AARP really sux. Anti-conservative, anti-gun, and against most things we here (well, most of us) stand for except making money, only they like making it for themselves, with the aiding and abetting of the gubmint tax code.

Spazz Jazz needs to read here for a little on AARPs politics and motivations.

And here

The new kid on the block

All appear to be ‘s’ corps and/or 501c3 types

odat on April 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

AARP alternative for conservatives:

itsnotaboutme on April 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I’m not a senior, and this is a good suggestion…

But has anyone mentioned Generation America? You don’t even have to be a senior to join.

tickleddragon on April 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

AARP has been functioning as a money-laundering organization for the Democrats, disguised as an insurance company, for a long time.

As with labor unions, the “members” are “members in name only”: only the management gets to decide where the political money goes…the members have no substantive control. So the organization really DOES NOT “represent” 36 million…it just takes their insurance money.

This was driven home during the first “Medicare Part B” debacle. If you remember, AARP pushed hard to get that plan, which REQUIRED seniors to participate, through. But when the Feds actually started implementing it with seniors’ Social Security money, there was a Senior Revolt…and “Medicare Part B” was hurriedly repealed: AARP “members” DID NOT support this plan, and many quit AARP for working against their interests.

It’s about time that AARP was called to account. They need to account for their actions to their “members”, and they need to account for the money they collect.

PS –
When solicited by AARP, I always return the solicitation in their business reply envelope with the notation: “We do NOT contribute to extreme left-wing lobbying organizations”!!

landlines on April 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“yes, I’m a sucker.”

davidk on April 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I’m an AARP member only because there are no alternatives. They are a monopoly. There is another reason to investigate them. Go for it.

woodNfish on April 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM