Video: Moran gets irritable at veteran’s interruption in town-hall meeting

posted at 8:48 am on April 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

That headline is a little more fair than the suggestions that came to me this morning on a clip from a town-hall meeting held by Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA) last night, in which the Congressman loses his cool with a constituent for interrupting him. Moran raises his voice when the veteran interrupts his answer and offers him a choice to either sit down or leave so that Moran can finish. I’m not sure that I’d say Moran yelled at the man, as some claim — and in truth, the real issue is in Moran’s answer, not his delivery:

It’s certainly not a highlight reel for Moran’s concept of constituent services, but running a town-hall meeting does require a little decorum.  The problem is that Moran’s the one who disrupted it.  Moran’s contempt shines through right from the moment he begins speaking, saying, “And if you served your country in the military for 27 years, I thank you for that service, sir.”  Is it so unusual to find a military veteran in Moran’s district that his gratitude has to come with a qualifier?  Does Moran employ the qualifier for veterans who ask questions along the lines of “How can you be so totally awesome and humble at the same time?”  He then insults the constituent by claiming that his question was “caustic” rather than “legitimate,” prompting the veteran to interrupt — and Moran to act like an old schoolmarm when he does.

In between, though, Moran is correct — as far as he goes.  If the House is in recess, it’s because the Republicans allowed it to be so; Democrats have no control over that, save what the GOP leadership allows through negotiations.  But why would the House go into recess long enough to allow Moran to hold a town-hall meeting?  Well, it’s because the House has already passed a budget.  In fact, the House also passed a new continuing resolution.  The Senate has not passed a budget in eighteen months where Democrats control the majority, and the House didn’t pass even a budget resolution in all of 2010, while Moran and his colleagues had the majority.

The real question that Moran should answer isn’t why he was off the clock last night.  It’s why he and his 77-seat Democratic majority couldn’t bother to pass a budget when they had all year to do it, and full control of Washington DC.  Heck, you could even ask that question nicely, and I’m pretty sure Moran would react in his predictably irritable manner.

Note: Yes, I double-checked to make sure this was really Jim Moran this time.

Comments

Soldier should have run up to the podium and forced Moron into the pushup position.

Bishop on April 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Note: Yes, I double-checked to make sure this was really Jim Moran this time.

It’s easy to remember – Moran punched a child and hates Jews, while McDermott went to Baghdad and tried to undermine our foreign policy. Six of one…

KingGold on April 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

You know what really chaps my hide and busts my (nonexistent) ballz? The fact that Democrats have to think the public is so stupid and can’t remember that troop pay in 1995 was not affected like it will be if this shutdown happens, and what does or does not shut down is determined by the President.

It absolutely sickens me that the Democrats are holding military pay hostage to fund their government Brie.

Sekhmet on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Contempt for constiuents seems to be the hallmark of Democrat congressmen.

DrStock on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Moran = moron.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Moran the moron. Hey, it’s not his or his party’s fault that the government’s going to shut down. Just ask them.

kingsjester on April 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Sorry, my friend. Great minds.

kingsjester on April 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Stuff like this never happened to Barney on “How I Met Your Mother.”

radjah shelduck on April 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

This douche is on the Defense subcommittee and hasn’t served a day in his life. How is this type of shyte possible in a sane world?
If you ask me the roles oughta be reversed and lackeys like Moran should be sitting in the cheap seats.

OkieDoc on April 8, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Only a Democrat MORON like MORAN would say something this derogatory to a veteran.

pilamaye on April 8, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Any one see Rangel on BOR? Same thing.
Why couldn’t the Dems pass a budget? Rangel’s answer, they didn’t get to it.
His excuse now, the new Republicans won’t work with Democrats.
This guy, Moran, his excuse the Republicans won’t work. Bottom line is that it looks to me like the Dems WANT a shutdown and are perfectly willing to allow it to happen. They think this is a big win for them. Same ole story. The Dems are insane.
Oh one other thing, it needs to be repeated over and over, the troops were paid in 1995.

ORconservative on April 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Contempt for constiuents serfs seems to be is the hallmark of Democrats congressmen.

DrStock on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

FIFY

rbj on April 8, 2011 at 9:05 AM

“and the House didn’t pass even a budget resolution in all of 2010″

Actually, they did, Ed. They passed the Continuing Resolution that got them into January. What the Dems in the House never passed was an Appropriations Bill.

Dusty on April 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

This disgusts me. CONgressman Maroon isn’t fit to carry that man’s jock .

flyfisher on April 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I am, as always, sad to say that I live in this antisemitic old fool’s district. Every two years I work to get his @ss thrown out. To no avail – his district is full of the most nauseating, smug, arrogant lefties in all of NoVa. I have to deal with these douches on a daily basis.

Vyce on April 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Moran is a rancid pile of goat dung and the fools that keep him in office have the same stench.

rplat on April 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Get a brain, Moran!

lorien1973 on April 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Don’t forget that this guy’s district includes the Pentagon and Fort Myer, the Army-Navy Club, and thousands of square feet of leased space in Crystal City for Navy offices. Few Congressmen have more military members living and working in their districts than Moran. Yet he commonly shows them little respect in public or in private.

rockmom on April 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Isn’t the outrage of this clip the multiple audience members who obnoxiously shout “Sit down!” at the veteran?

Idiots who keep re-electing the Moron.

Marcus on April 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM

He’s my congressman. I take no joy in that. The serviceman was a little out of line, but JUST a little. And you’re right; Moran is that way with everybody who isn’t kissing his arse. It’s also obvious that his usual entourage of sycophants was there that night. Wonder how many of them were bussed in by the unions from out of state.

manwithblackhat on April 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Moran has a long history of idiocy.

Pretty much your typical democrat.

…case in point.

Democrats drug out the Tax Cheat Charlie Rangel to help them push there talking points on Fox this morining… leading to the super smart declaration by the super smart liberal :

Rangel:“Cutting spending does not save you money”

….that’s right…according to Rangel…cutting back on the massive spending won’t save us any money.

Reminds me of Biden stating:
Biden:“We have to spend money….to save money”

Absolutely stuck on stupid.

Baxter Greene on April 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM

rockmom on April 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM

… and yet he got re-elected — again. Can anyone explain that to me? I live in his damn district, and I can’t even explain it.

manwithblackhat on April 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Now drop and give us 14 trillion!!!!!!!

50sGuy on April 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Vyce on April 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

My sympathies. I lived in Moran’s district for many years. He’s always been an arrogant a$$hole, and a big crook as well. He belongs in prison, not Congress.

AZCoyote on April 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Bishop on April 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM

“Get down, Joe!”

fossten on April 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Jim “Moron” Moran is way past his expiration date as a congress Kritter. He is universally unpopular outside his district and an object of scorn and derision in the western part of the Northern Virginia region, say from Dulles on westward.

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Baxter Greene on April 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Caught that Rangel thing, too, did ya? Spewed orange juice all over the breakfast table on that one.

Ed needs to get a cap of that segment, make sure it gets a lot more exposure.

Can’t save money by cutting spending???? My God, and we allow these folks to run our government?

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM

But they love him in Great Falls. Where the real money is.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Get a brain, Moran!

Good Lt on April 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Moran thought he could slip in a little condescension and the good soldier wasn’t having any of it. Good for him for not letting Moran’s remark go by unchallenged.

princetrumpet on April 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I refuse to conform on this one. The veteran here is taking the non-partisan sucker position, complaining that the government is going to be shut down, without bothering to inform himself on how and why. He’s a victim, in his current posture.

This is a perfect example of the “Do Something!” school of citizen victimhood.

Well, I call bullsh!t. The government may shut down because of a very specific democratic impasse:

- The Dems had control of government for all of 2010; they did not introduce a budget, abdicating their responsibility in fear of worsening their electoral prospects;
- they got their a$$es kicked, anyway;
- now the GOP has control of the House and they passed a budget, which the Senate is now responsible for approving, or not;
- the Senate Dems “not”, with the non-negotiable issue (once again!) being abortion, believe it or not. The GOP says we are not spending another penny on the Abortion Factory aka Planned Parenthood. The Dems say that is the one program that they refuse to de-fund, thus – impasse.

This guy is a one-issue citizen: don’t stop funding for the soldiers, period. There may be nuances in the party positioning on that issue, but his position is apparently keep the government open no matter what.

Sorry…I disagree, soldier.

Jaibones on April 8, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Moran should have politely advised the soldier to do what he told a group of about-to-be-furloughed-federal workers:
save your pennies and “avoid LARGE purchases” ’cause, shutdown or no, we’re going on our TWO WEEK EASTER BREAK. So this could last a while, see ya!

tree hugging sister on April 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Moran is a maroon and should be retired

AH_C on April 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM

But they love him in Great Falls. Where the real money is.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I don’t think Great Falls is in Moron’s district – it’s in Frank Wolf’s (R) 10th district which also includes the billionaire villages of Middleburg and Upperville, all of Fauquier and Rappahannock plus Winchester. Middleburg by itself has Great Falls whipped in the income and trust fund baby categories plus the gorgeous real estate is still worth billions.
Moron only wishes he could compete with Wolf in the “wealthy individuals in my district” category.

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I’ll bet if the guy had told Moran he was a Jewish military veteran, he really could have gotten Jim’s blood pressure going (along with one or two of his legendary anti-Semitic rants).

jon1979 on April 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Thanks for the correction, yeah, Wolf’s district, but the libs in NoVa to include Great Falls still love this Moran character. I’ll ask my brother-in-law next time I see him.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It’s gotta be that Tip O’Neil Boston Butt Kennedy-esque affected broad “Eh” dialect that keeps the libs in love with this turd. Nothing else rationally explains it.

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Ed needs to get a cap of that segment, make sure it gets a lot more exposure.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Exactly….

I wish I could have “spewed” instead of choking on my Tea.
It took a few seconds of gaging and choking before I could yell out “Bullsh!t you f#$king moron!!!!”

Baxter Greene on April 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM

The Mayor Quimby School of Rhetoric?

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Baxter Greene on April 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

All around the country folks were listening to Rangel’s words and more than half of them just nodding their heads in assent…and half of the rest are either cleaning up spilled OJ or going out to buy a new TV.

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

coldwarrior on April 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM

‘Zac’ly! Dead on!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Whats this? The government is going to shut down, and lots of people won’t get paid?

Not a problem according to Peggy. There’s nothing to worry about.

And on top of that, they can file for unemployment.

BobMbx on April 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I went to youtube for this video and noticed this comment:

I was the veteran in the video. I said nothing to him that was “caustic”. I asked him why he was at a meeting instead of solving the issue that would prevent our troops from getting paid. He felt it was necessary to insult me and not answer the question. Additionally, he had NO INFORMATION to put out that was not already on every news show and webpage. I am still amazed that both sides of the aisle would even let our troops worry about getting paid–and so should every other American!
vet27USN 1 hour ago 13

Moran is pathetic. I don’t think the vet was out of line. Moran tried to slip that little “caustic” remark in there thinking it would go uncontested.

Moran is an embarrassment.

CWforFreedom on April 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Moran is the best example of an unaccountable politician in the American system. His long list of on camera blunders in astonishing. Yet the Prius/Whole Foods crowd from Arlington and Alexandria keep putting him back in his seat.

stuartm650 on April 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Meh. Only 300,000 of a 2.6 million non-defense workforce are at risk. Big whoopdie-doo when most companies have shaved their payroll by 20-30%.

EasyEight on April 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

More of Moran

CWforFreedom on April 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Ranking right up there with the birth of my children as “happiest days of my life” is the day I moved out of Moran’s district. It is not only the Prius/Whole Foods crowd that keeps voting him in, but people like my former neighbor, an immigrant who never worked a day in the US, got food stamps and earned income checks, and approached me as I was coming home from working a 14 hour day to complain that the US government didn’t do enough to help the poor.
These are Moran’s base.

BitterClinger on April 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Sorry…I disagree, soldier.

Jaibones on April 8, 2011 at 9:25 AM

..fairly put.

The War Planner on April 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Moran has trouble managing his emotions. This isn’t the first time he’s made a jackass out of himself, and won’t be the last.

zoyclem on April 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Card of Thanks to the people of Moran’s (Moron’s) district in Virginia who keep sending him back to Congress…

Khun Joe on April 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Get ‘em out, vote ‘em out…. WAAAAAY out!!!

What kind of dirtbag thinks it’s acceptable to speak to one of his constituents like that?!

THAT arrogance is what we need to vote the hell OUT!

TERM LIMITS FOR EVERYBODY!!

KMC1 on April 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

What a Maroon

Kini on April 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Moran couldnt be a pimple on a Marines arse. This crank pot chillingly reminds me of Murtha. You know, the bribe taker. I can more easily identify democrats by the crime they committed. Tax Wrangler Rangle, Buy me Blago, “Deals” Dodd etc..

malkinmania on April 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Doesn’t matter if his constituent is a thirty year veteran or a 19 year old single mother on welfare, they both deserve his respect and to be treated civilly. He works for them not the other way around.

lowandslow on April 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

They do more than the Mexican government does.

Moran is my Rep and there isn’t a day goes by that I forget what an ignorant ass he is. Nor do I forget he likes to mix it up with his constituents.

Sean Bannion on April 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I don’t see what’s worth complaining about. Allen West did worse to a questioner just three or four weeks ago.

SlimyBill on April 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

“You lie”… er… “Not true”…

RalphyBoy on April 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Any one see Rangel on BOR? Same thing.
Why couldn’t the Dems pass a budget? Rangel’s answer, they didn’t get to it.
ORconservative on April 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Here’s a thought for the budget.

The budget is due Oct 1 for the succeeding year, this budget was due Oct. 1 2010 for the year 2011.

How bout we, the federal government, stops collecting any federal taxes until a budget is worked out and signed.

No Fed Payroll taxes, No Fuel tax, or to quote Obama “Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes” will be collected until the budget is done!

And no retroactive tax collection, the Fed loses ALL tax dollars that “would/could” have been collected for time the Fed FAILED to do its basic job!

DSchoen on April 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM

BobMbx on April 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Do remember when the government shutdown November 14, 1995? Riots in the streets! Hundreds killed! Cities burned to the ground!

I distinctly remember waking up that morning and noticed, it’s Tuesday.

DSchoen on April 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Caustic?

Cheap shot.

AshleyTKing on April 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Well yeah it was caustic, and a stupid question at that. I have supported candidates running against Moron [sic], but come on, why are you talking to your constitutents, who are a larger percentage of federal workers and contractors than probably any other congressional district, instead of going to the Capitol and standing around until the party leadership arives at a deal? That’s just a dumb question, and stupid both serves and not serves our country. This guy’s military service is irrelevant, some people think it makes him immune from being criticized for asking dumb questions but I don’t patronize people, its demeaning. And this whole military worship, especially the flaunting of service is something I find rather perverse after being raised by WWII and Vietnam vets. Their service was just part of their life, it was something they did, but didn’t really talk about, they had a life outside of that service. They certainly never used it to try to gain any special societal status, or to attempt to immune themselves from criticism, maybe cheap drinks at the VFW or the Legion but that’s about it.

LevStrauss on April 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM