Senate Dems: Er, maybe we’ll draft our own short-term budget resolution

posted at 9:02 pm on April 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Didn’t The One tell us two days ago that the days of short-term continuing resolutions were over because “I can’t have our agencies making plans based on two-week budgets”? Didn’t Reid recite a four-minute sob story on the Senate floor just yesterday about how “the United States of America, this great country of ours, shouldn’t have to live paycheck to paycheck”?

It’s amazing how being on the wrong side of a troop-funding story can soften resolve.

“We’re working on something,” Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) told POLITICO Thursday when asked about the possibility of a Democratic stop-gap measure.

Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) told reporters there was discussion during a Thursday afternoon Democratic caucus meeting about an alternative short-term plan in the Senate.

“It’s always dangerous to predict around here because of the convoluted nature of Senate rules,” he said, “but there will certainly be an attempt to propose an alternative, including the funding of troops.”…

Earlier Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said he’d be happy to pass a “clean” short-term spending bill that drops the GOP policy riders.

If they were smart, they’d propose a measure identical to Boehner’s in virtually every respect — same funding for Defense, same $12 billion in cuts — except for the policy rider about banning funds for abortion in D.C. That would isolate the abortion issue and force Boehner to choke on it, knowing that (a) if he caved he’d face a social con backlash and (b) if he didn’t cave then Democrats could claim the standoff isn’t really about cutting spending after all. Or, better still for liberals, if Boehner caved on abortion and didn’t face much of a backlash, that might make him more willing to drop the policy riders from the GOP’s overall 2011 budget. (The Planned Parenthood provision may be more important to him than the provisions about defunding ObamaCare, probably because he knows the Senate will never go for the latter.) But they won’t do that, because even the chump change of $12 billion in spending is too precious to their base for them to concede on. So they’ll offer $4 billion or something in cuts and that’ll give Boehner reason to say “not enough” and walk away, with the media war to begin over whether it’s worth shutting down the federal government to protect $39 billion in spending from an annual budget that exceeds $3.5 trillion. Can’t wait.

Comments

The shutdown is coming despite all efforts by conservatives… the DEMS want this!

MeatHeadinCA on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

MeatHeadinCA on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Yep, Beohner won’t even get a chance to fold like an accordian.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Thank you Mr. McCotter…

Doubt the viewers of lame-duck Katie Couric will be seeing this clip…

phreshone on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM

If they wanted to play hardball, they’d offer a CR with no spending cuts in it at all. Lay the blame for the military paycheck problems at the feet of the GOP if they don’t sign on.

The small cuts to spending is proving to be a very effective tactic — I’d try to defang it if I were Reid. See if Boehner blinks.

Revenant on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Are you F*CKING kidding me? It’s 9 pm and these dolts just NOW decided to do this?
They are as ignorant as their constiuents.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM

So they’ll offer $4 billion or something in cuts and that’ll give Boehner reason to say “not enough” and walk away…

And Boehner would be smart to say YES and fund the troops and get that club off the table for the next year.

sharrukin on April 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I love a lawyer that can speak english

Kini on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

While the people do?

Anyhow, Rand Paul made a good point on Laura Ingraham, that the Dems have raised spending 700 billion and a few billion cut here and there is to concede them complete victory and fiscal doom for the USA. Start by getting funding back to 2008, as an opener!

AshleyTKing on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Last I checked, don’t all appropriations bills have to originate in the House?

I guess the Senate will have to get their bill into the House before it can actually get to them?

Scott H on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

They better get something together, because the Obama Fam has another vacation planned for this weekend. After all, it’s only been two weeks since their last one.

//eating cake in my corner

conservative pilgrim on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM

What was that game where each person went head-on …

wheels on April 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Last I checked, don’t all appropriations bills have to originate in the House?

Scott H on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Isn’t that how they rammed through obamacare?

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM

If a migrain doesn’t take me down, this issue will.

capejasmine on April 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Watching Hannity grilling some dumdem about the budget and the dumdem gurgles out blame Bush.

Kini on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

There are three branches of government. Presidential, senate, congress. You are beyond fools.

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Yep, Beohner won’t even get a chance to fold like an accordian.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Looks that way. Pence was just on saying how Boehner is holding firm.

MeatHeadinCA on April 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Let ‘em SHUT IT DOWN. Then SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROATS!

GarandFan on April 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Please please please give them the testicular fortitude to stand firm.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM

hmmm doesn’t all spending bills have to orginate in the house?

unseen on April 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Meanwhile…whilst the government is shut down, Obama and family are heading to Williamsburg for some rest and relaxation.

(Guess Camp David, up in the Catoctins, will be closed.)

Didn’t Obama and the family just get back from Rio, resting and relaxing, kicking around a soccer ball, shopping, trying to dance with the locals and unleashing the Obama-Libyan War?

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

hmmm doesn’t all spending bills have to orginate in the house?

Yes, technically. But this requirement isn’t a big roadblock to the Senate.

The Senate just takes a spending bill thats already passed the House and then amends it. The amendment (1) deletes all the provisions within the House bill and then (2) adds in the text of the Senate bill.

The bill itself still originated in the House, so the process is constitutional.

Revenant on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Umm, isn’t it executive, legislative, and judicial?
House and Senate are under Legislative.
The Office of the President is under the Executive.

Tuari on April 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Wow! Just wow.

NEA, you’ve done it again.

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Happiness is not having Dick Al-Durbin as my senator anymore…which reminds me…I need to send him(and Quinny, and 3 J) letters suggesting places where they can shove their big government.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I’m betting,that the Democrats looked on,stunned,
out of touch,looked at each other,

and probably,said WTF,what did McCotter mean!!!

canopfor on April 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

So says the person who got the branches wrong.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM

MeatHeadinCA on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

MeatHeadinCA:U-Betcha they do!:)

canopfor on April 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM

( coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Does this mean that we’re gonna bomb Syria on Saturday nite???

kringeesmom on April 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I believe that betsyz is quoting someone.
I can’t remember who but I vaguely remember the quote.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

kringeesmom on April 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Probably go for London. It’s closer. And Obama’s grandfather would have enjoyed that. /

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM

One week CR, same terms as last — no new policy, no new cuts — but get our military out from under the shutdown or other shenanigans.

Then, next week…..go for the jugular.

cthulhu on April 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Let me guess, you live in the 52nd state of our 57?

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

You forgot your sarc tag. Didn’t some idiot dem say this for real? Can’t remember who it was, they all say such stupid things.

Naturally Curly on April 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Alan West on Obama’s presser: “In 22 years of service in the military, I’ve seen more leadership from a buck sergeant.”

OUCH!

Rovin on April 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Revenant on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Yes but you need 60 v0otes for that. A filibuster can stop that process did in the water.

unseen on April 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM

//eating cake in my corner

conservative pilgrim on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Haven’t you gotten the drift? ObaMao does not work on weekends. In fact, he doesn’t work much at any other time either, but that is a topic for another day.

onlineanalyst on April 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Umm, isn’t it executive, legislative, and judicial?
House and Senate are under Legislative.
The Office of the President is under the Executive.

Tuari on April 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Chill out do not tell chuckie the schmuck this, he thinks it is pres, house and him.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM

You know at this point I don’t think many people would wonder why a coup happened if it were to happen.

unseen on April 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I believe that betsyz is quoting someone.
I can’t remember who but I vaguely remember the quote.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

darwin-t:)
======================================================

Sen. Schumer on the Three Branches of Government…House, Senate and President…
Added: Jan 31 2011
************************

Well there you have it, the second smartest guy in the room on our Three Branches of Government. If it’s not already clear as day, Liberals have absolutely zero desire to know, uphold or defend the Constitution and America’s Constitutional Government.

And another thing you lying windbag, When the government shuts down, the military is still funded, why lie, do you really think people on your More..side actually care if the military is shut down? Do you think people on my side actually believe any thing you have to say concerning Constitutional procedure after you educate us on the Three Branches of Government?

Why Americans put up with these people is beyond me, I’d put Newt up against this snake oil salesman any day. Less..

canopfor on April 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Darlin’, Congress is a fancy neme for the legislative branch.
The legislative branch is bicameral – that means that there are two chambers. The House and Senate-together-comprise the Congress.
Hope that clears things up for you.
*grins/smirks*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It was chuck the schmuck.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It appears as though betsyz caught her limit.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM

If the Democrats put a counter-offer on the table that funds the military then the GOP can’t turn it down without taking a huge hit from both sides politically as well as members of the military.

Better to accept being outmaneuvered and get the military pay off the table for the rest of the year.

sharrukin on April 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM

(Guess Camp David, up in the Catoctins, will be closed.)

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

coldwarrior:Obama seems to have a pattern,every time,theres
a conflict,he’s always bugging out!:)

canopfor on April 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM

It was chuck the schmuck.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

That’s the one! Schmucky Chucky never disappoints.

Naturally Curly on April 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM

It was chuck the schmuck.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

My apologies to betsyz.

My utter disbelief toward Chuckie. Didn’t he go to one of them big name colleges? Law degree and all that?

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I’ve been lurking on uber-lib friends’ online conversations. They put on a good public face, but I was stunned to see several of them bashing the feckless, narcissistic, rudderless president and the open mockery of Reid and Pelosi– as in “this president and these Dems are like fingernails on a blackboard”-type disgust. This is a huge first. Longing for leadership, where have we heard that before? This isn’t playing well with either side.

True, the libs don’t like Rs, but it’s stunning how little regard they have for their own. With a little more air-born Hopium, it will lead to lib voter malaise in 2012.

Change.

obladioblada on April 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM

New headline: Dems do not want to draft a budget after trying for 6 months.

F15Mech on April 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM

It was chuck the schmuck.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM
My apologies to betsyz.

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

coldwarrior:I posted the video of Chucky above!:)
======================================================

canopfor on April 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I believe that betsyz is quoting someone.
I can’t remember who but I vaguely remember the quote.

darwin-t on April 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Wasn’t it Shumer?

GaltBlvnAtty on April 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Col. Reed had it right, at 9:48.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Wow, you go away for a second…
Please tell me you forgot the sarc tag…this is the love child of grow fins and crr6.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Wow, you go away for a second…

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Sheeee waz edujekayted aht ay pwublik skool.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM

betsyz on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Wow, you go away for a second…

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Yup she forgot her sarc tag. Schumer said it.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

dear leader trying to save his legacy at the 11th hour once again…

pathetic

cmsinaz on April 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Yup she forgot her sarc tag. Schumer said it.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Betsy: My sincerest of apologies.
I’ve done it too.
Thanks!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM

McCotter’s my favorite Congressman, because he’s an intellectual, and understated and funny, too.

Remember this one?

Speaking Democrat: A Primer by Rep. McCotter

BCrago66 on April 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Yeah, and Sheila Jackson Lee did too. And she say more stupid things than just about anyone.

Corsair on April 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Here is the thing, During the Clinton shutdown in 1995 I was on active duty (going thru BT/Tech school) and never missed a paycheck.

The republicans are willing to fund you however it is the D’s that are blocking it.

Remember that during the next election.

Also what charities/donations have been set up? (hint hint soliders angels)

I will gladly “adopt a solider” and suspend $1000 of my investment money a month to pay a soldiers paycheck. Is anyone else with me?

F15Mech on April 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Yup she forgot her sarc tag. Schumer said it.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Whew. Thank goodness….I thought we were seeing the birth of another troll.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM

We need to institute a troll tax.

BobMbx on April 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

F15Mech on April 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I am! I don’t have $1K, but I’ve still got some things I can cut back on to scare up some cash.

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Whew. Thank goodness….I thought we were seeing the birth of another troll.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I would prefer a new troll rather then Schumer making that statement.

Think about that for a moment, a sitting Sen does not know the 3 branches of Govt.

F15Mech on April 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM
I would prefer a new troll rather then Schumer making that statement.

F15Mech on April 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Like you didn’t know Chuck U Schumer or any other democrat is not a complete idiot. Come on.

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM

It would be best to have them close up shop completely.

In the meat of TAX RETURN SEASON.

Wanna get voted out Dens?? I think you just figured out the most expeditious way to do so.

Hold back MY return and I just want you to know – I actually do understand why it happened. And my votes WILL reflect it.

And so will my campaign donations.

KMC1 on April 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

HornetSting on April 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Ok good point but damn if I were to ask everyone (including the trolls) to name the 3 branches, I suspect every commenter could name them unlike Schumer.

F15Mech on April 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Boehner has been asking the dems for months to produce ANY flipping budget.

Now allahpundit thinks they can just whip it out and that will be that?

Am I the only one here that sometimes sees allahpundit as infantile?

Freddy on April 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Shut down? How about just shutting up?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM

(Guess Camp David, up in the Catoctins, will be closed.)

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Have the Obamas ever been to Camp David? I think I remember once, the first year.

Quisp on April 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Someone needs to grab the republicans and tell them that the internet has their backs. Something they didn’t have in 95.

BruceB on April 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM