Obamateurism of the Day; Update: Video added

posted at 8:05 am on April 7, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Today’s OOTD serves double duty. First, Barack Obama once again demonstrates that he has no idea what gas mileage people actually get from their vehicles, apparently having last owned a car and bought gas in 1978, and has a curious idea about what the middle class can afford these days. While speaking to a crowd in Pennsylvania, Obama scoffed at the notion of high gas prices and told the peasants voters that if gas prices were too high, then maybe they should eat cake instead buy new cars instead:

Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now averaging close to $3.70 a gallon nationwide, and suggested that the gentleman consider getting rid of his gas-guzzling vehicle.

As we’ve mentioned on several occasions now, the last time anyone drove an 8-MPG vehicle that didn’t include a half-track was in the mid-1970s.  If that was the problem, then a tune-up would solve the problem better than a new car, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper, too.

Even worse, Obama sounds as bad as Marie Antoinette here.  Actually, he sounds worse.  Despite the common belief that Marie Antoinette said of starving peasants who couldn’t afford bread, “Let them eat cake,” she didn’t actually say it; Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote of it in 1769 when Marie Antoinette was 13, before becoming queen of France, speaking of a “great princess.”  Regardless, Obama fills the role of clueless aristocrat by telling a man who explains that he can’t afford to fill his gas tank at current prices that he should instead buy a new car.

If the press reported it, the retort would prove rather embarrassing — which may be why the Associated Press scrubbed it from their coverage of the event.  A search for “If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting 8 miles a gallon” turned up 26 hits last night at 7:15 pm ET, most of them Associated Press links or links to their affiliates. In each of those, the quote was removed in later editing, which the Bing archiving had yet to clear:

Just think how Marie Antoinette would have fared with a media so devoted to spinning for her.

Update: Here’s the video, courtesy of Doug Powers, and be sure to check out Instapundit’s coverage of this from last night.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

which may be why the Associated Press scrubbed it from their coverage of the event. A search for “If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting 8 miles a gallon” turned up 26 hits last night at 7:15 pm ET, most of them Associated Press links or links to their affiliates.

The Memory Hole(tm) appears to be fully operational, no?

ted c on April 7, 2011 at 8:07 AM

You don’t need a tire pressure gauge to measure hot air.

TimBuk3 on April 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM

dear leader had no problem bashing W in 08 for the high gas prices….own dear leader, own it…

however with this lsm….move along nothing to see here

cmsinaz on April 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM

TimBuk3 on April 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM

heh

cmsinaz on April 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Is there a “lemon law” we can use to get a refund for this clunker of a prez?

KS Rex on April 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM

He’s so arrogant that he doesn’t realize how clueless he is.

petefrt on April 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Message to the general electorate: If you’re complaining about the POTUS and he’s only giving you eight working days a year, you might want to think about a trade-in.

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Threadwinner!

Disturb the Universe on April 7, 2011 at 8:15 AM

“You might want to think about a trade-in.”

We are more than “thinking about” trading you in next year.

50sGuy on April 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM

When the going gets tough…the tough go campaigning.

kingsjester on April 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM

My wife and I did exactly that. We traded in her 2008 Subaru WRX that ran on PREMIUM for a 2011 Subaru Forester which runs on regular. Both get around the same mileage.

(Price of premium wasn’t the only motivator. We are getting on in age and climbing in and out of the lower WRX put a strain on my wife’s hip so the higher SUV style Forester makes it easier to get in and out. This will be our last vehicle for awhile as we are pre-retirement, and wanted something more comfortable and easier on the price of gas.)

Dandapani on April 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

If we can’t afford this President, can we trade him in?

Right now?

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

The pesky kids and luxury groceries are standing in the way of fuel efficiency!!!

mjbrooks3 on April 7, 2011 at 8:20 AM

We need a “The Price of gas is too damn high” guy, not this clown. Sarah Palin 2012.

JimK on April 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote of it in 1769 when Marie Antoinette was 13, before becoming queen of France, of a “great princess.”

Too bad Princess “Mom Jeans” is a lousy princess.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM

The AP is another one of those businesses that needs to routinely identify itself as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Obama, Inc.

Makes one wonder how many other stories the AP has flushed down the memory hole as soon as they realized that it might make their dream boy look bad.

AZCoyote on April 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM

The comments at the ABC link are a source of hope, other than the one troll weakly saying how Barry is focusing our attention on clean energy rather than sending our military into pointless wars.

Fallen Sparrow on April 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I bet those Chinese presidents don’t have to listen to people complain about gas prices.

tommyboy on April 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I can’t AFFORD a new vehicle because I DON’T HAVE A JOB YOU ASSHAT.

I hate him. Truly, with every fiber of my being, I hate him.

crazy_legs on April 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Marie Antoinette had a farm created behind Versailles so she could play farm girl. We have a man who is playing at being a President.

He wants gas prices high–he said so and he has no intention of doing anything about it.

Beaglemom on April 7, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Apparently, in the Internet Age, once the windbag expels gas the sounds are permanent. I searched using the character string provided and arrived easily at ZeroHedge where this story headline greeted me: “Obama’s Advice To Those Complaining About Surging Gas Prices: Suck It In And Cope
So, besides doing his sarcastic Marie Antoinette impression he admits government can’t won’t do a damn thing to ameliorate sudden gas price increases at the pump nor will his administration implement a plan to increase petroleum independence.
You know, Just Suck it in and Cope!!! I wish Dubya had said that.

ExpressoBold on April 7, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Also from the article

He returns just two days after launching his re-election bid. He is facing a key constituency that at times has scolded him for not being attentive enough to certain issues, such as double-digit black unemployment, but continues to hold him in high regard.

Obama deflects such criticism by arguing that his polices to expand the economy, create jobs and improve the education system, among other goals, will help the country as a whole, blacks included.

Ninety-five percent of blacks who voted, opted for Obama in 2008. A Gallup poll released last week showed his job approval among blacks holding at 84 percent, about the same as six months earlier.

The primary driver of double-digit black unemployment is an artificially high minimum wage. Guess which party demanded raising the minimum wage……

It’s classic: Democrats pretend to be for African Americans, but create policies that hurt them. They then get rewarded with … an 84% approval rating. The fact that the president himself is African American just adds fuel to the irony.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Here’s the President doing his best Marie Antionette impersonation, PLUS the media covering for him. Ed, why not start a daily feature: the Media-Obama Romantic Act of the Day?

itsnotaboutme on April 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Find a link, email it, post it on FB, etc.

People are pissed about gas prices…ALL VOTERS…..and they need to see this and the DRILL BRAZIL DRILL comments to support the notion that he doesn’t give a crap.

Let’s do the job the Whoredog Media won’t do!

PappyD61 on April 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM

‘Cuz I’m givin’ you a $7500. tax credit to go an’ buy oneuh my Volts’. ‘So what if ya can’t get all 10 uh ya kids in a Volt, buy two’.
We live 40 miles from town and have to haul horse feed in 50lb bags, along with case lots of people food, we can’t getter done in a Volt. Guess he’d tell us to move to town.

Kissmygrits on April 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Diesel’s over $4/gallon here you em-effer POTUS.
That’s at least a double in cost over a coupla years.
Seriously you POS, how the eff long do you think all of us can afford this BS?
God help me I hate that POS man more & more everyday.
Ba$tard!

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Why would he think someone owned a car that only gets 8 mpg, didn’t he already give taxpayer money to those folks for a new car? I think it was called Cash for Clunkers.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM

that’s pretty good. What do you think we could get for a trade in?

ted c on April 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM

It’s amazing how transparently biased the MSM is and how clumsy they are in their efforts to cover up for Dems and to mislead the public.

WordsMatter on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Wow, angry much?

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM

A few years back, Al Sharpton said something about the Democratic Party taking black votes for granted and therefore treating blacks like a mistress. I wonder how he likes those shiney new black pumps he got from the POTUS yesterday….

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I told you all he was clueless and arrogant. Are you convinced yet?

dogsoldier on April 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM

BTW POTUS: I have no choice about a vehicle.
I actually need a pickup: AKA gas/fuel guzzler.
Bcs the effing ’96 Honda Accord I drive to work doesn’t move hay bales, pull a stock trailer, have 4WD to drive through the mud, won’t haul a load of fence posts to fix the fences on this ranch, etc.
I really really really hate this man.
He’s not gonna be happy til I’m running this ranch with nothing but horsepower.
And that’s assuming I’ve got TIME to eff with that all day.
I have a town job for health ins. It’s not like I can quit it to run the ranch with HORSES.
Did I say I hate this man?

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM

How great is it that The Won not only has paid campaign staff and speech writers to hold down on the stupid stuff he says but the impartial press to erase anything that slips through the filters.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

It’s past time to be angry.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Ok..so if it’s past the time to be angry, what should we be now?

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I dont know why I was actually surprised that the media edited this comment, but I caught that right away when I read it yesterday. If the GOP candidate was smart, they’d find footage of this and use it in a campaign video in 2012.

cappy718 on April 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Two things are disturbing…not amateurish…and the first involves “scrubbing” of articles or removal of, shall we say, “unkind” reporting of Obama.

The second is that no, Obama does not have a clue as to what goes on in middle class America…not one clue.

The 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V was that last car made in America that got less than 8 miles a gallon. (Diamond in the back, sun-roof top, diggin’ the scene with a gangsta lean….)

Less than 30% or so of family/passenger vehicles on the road today are older than 10 years. Fuel economy standards a decade ago were roughly 24 miles per gallon…so if somebody’s car is getting only 8 miles a gallon…it must be this one.

At some point, soon, I’d love to hear one citizen respond to Obama with a loud and clear “Buddy, you don’t have a frickin’ clue, do you?”

(Then wait to see how short a time it takes for that to be “scrubbed” from the major news outlets.)

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM

RBMN on April 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Ok..so if it’s past the time to be angry, what should we be now?

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Ooh! Ooh! I know this: Bargaining

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:50 AM

cappy718 on April 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM

amen brother

cmsinaz on April 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:50 AM

You owe me a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels, buddy.

:-)

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Question oh mighty President. Why has the United States Government banned many of the high milage motors that are in use in Europe? I am speaking of the 3 cylinder Diesel motors that get seventy or even eighty miles to the gallon as an example. Those would be inexpensive, especially compared to the complicated and inefficient hybrid systems currently in vogue.

Milage on cars in Europe tends to be sixty percent higher than the United States, but despite that, there are no plans to allow those engines to be used here.

It’s amazing that we should be more European, when we’re discussing social attitudes towards homosexuality. We should be more European when we’re discussing public transport. We should not be more european when we’re discussing individual choice concerning smoking in public. We are definitely not going to be more european regarding Nuclear Power, and we are absolutely not going to consider being more european regarding engines for our cars.

Snake307 on April 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

you left out the most despicable part of the exchange…the questioner said in response, “i have a big family”

barry answered, “not that big”

the questioner replied, “i have 10 kids”

barry: “10 kids? well, you need a hybrid van”

the arrogance and dismissive tone was disgraceful…also, i challenge barry to find a hybrid van that can seat 12 people…the only hybrids are minivans…also, the hybrid system adds about $5,000 to the cost

he’s not just incompetent, he’s a jerk

erclimb on April 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Since most of us aren’t the kind of folks that act out, probably more of the same. Attend rallies, annoy our members of Congress at every possible chance. I wish I could think of a great way for a major boycott(even briefly) of some cherished government service but the best I could come up with was homeschooling but so many people also need the school for childcare while they work, it doesn’t work. Maybe just the unemployed should home school. Nobody use the post office for a month, no I forgot that’s now part of the government anymore. Just another “private” industry they taxpayers prop up.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I love my SUV. I love driving. I love road trips.

Why should I have to change my car or my habits because of his incomptence?

myrenovations on April 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Here are the two links you’ll need to contrast his help for Brazil and his get a different car if you’re driving an 8mpg car.

PappyD61 on April 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

The Stand-up-unfunny-Comedian-in-Chief creep also said
I Remember What It Was Like Pumping Gas

Brat on April 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Dear Mr. President,

I have three kids and drive a freaking Accent. I bought said Accent before #3 was born, but decided to keep it because I was being mature and responsible at dedicated to pay off and keep my car instead of jumping into another one.

There’s no other car in our price range that would give us better gas mileage. What, exactly, should we trade in to? If you have found the magical car that gets more than 33 mpg yet will still hold 3 carseats in the back seat, please let me know! Of course, the caveat is that it must not cost any more than what we currently owe on the car we have. Going into debt to “save” money is a stupid idea.

I’ll wait patiently for your guidance.

Thanks!

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Thank you, that was good.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

First Obama told us to pump up our tires.. now its get a trade in .. what next shanks’s pony ?

philly_PA on April 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Definitely no easy solution.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Oh, I’m thinking of a “trade-in” alright. Thinking of trading in a wasted 4 years and strangling American productivity by a Wrecking Ball.

V-A Day!!!(America Trades in this mistake for a PRO-America President)

PappyD61 on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Funny, it’s listed at google, but has been censored from the actual article.

Obama says little short-term help for gas prices – Yahoo! News”If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting 8 miles a gallon, you know,” Obama said laughingly. “You might want to think about a …
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama – Cached – Similar- Block all yahoo.com results

Good grief, that’s out and out fraud. I like to blame the reporters, but in this case, it appears Darlene Superville actually did report Obama’s words, but they were later censored by editors.

To anybody using the AP stream for their content:

YOU were played. YOU were rolled. YOU’VE been defrauded. Now what are YOU going to do about it?

MNHawk on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

What about semi trucks? They only get ~4-7mpg.
And they are necessary to haul goods everywhere.
ND was looking into a refinery & now they say investors don’t want to do it bcs it’s too risky & the return is not enough to justify it fully with private dollars.
I bet the state will probably have to pony some $$ up.
ND could do well to get another refinery, or at least get the Mandan one refining more diesel.

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I know Obama wants $7/gallon gas…but what is the motivation for that? What does he gain?

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

It’s simple really….people need to consume less.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I can’t find the “freaking” options listed on those Accents? I’m sure that its got to be a trick sound system, A/C, some rims maybe?, and what else? Is that the same as the “Rick James Edition”?

ted c on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM

A) A less mobile population

B) A pretense for all sorts of “green” programs and mass transit.

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hear that, construction guys, trade in the pickup for a little 4-banger econobox. Good luck with the 20 sheets of plywood and the 30 bags of Quikrete you need to get to the jobsite.

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

In my case it’s mostly just the perpetual sippy cup in the cup holder.

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

A) A less mobile population

B) A pretense for all sorts of “green” programs and mass transit.

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM

yes. I agree. Acutely less mobile until people are ‘coerced out of their cars’ (Ray Lahood), then they’ll begin to buy into mass transit (ie, rail).

ted c on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

PappyD61 on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Al Gore said something similar to an agricultural college student one time at a Q&A.
The kid asked him what he was going to do to stop the erosion of the family farm so America’s youth could still make a living in agriculture.
Gore told him he should do something else & that agriculture as it was once known will never be again.
The arrogant pieces of crap are evil.
For some reason this story has made me very angry today.

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

What about semi trucks? They only get ~4-7mpg.

That was the first thing I thought about when I read about this story. I guess the drivers will be expected to trade in their trucks for buses to the unemployment line. (I suppose the bus drivers will be expected to trade over to rickshaws….)

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

In my case it’s mostly just the perpetual sippy cup in the cup holder.

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I think my Sienna came with m&ms and crackers under the backseat, although I don’t remember signing for that option. ah well..

ted c on April 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Those things aren’t necessary anymore. There are no houses being built. See! These problems are taking care of themselves.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Oh, and population control. If you can’t move your family, you probably will have a smaller family. It’s like sterilizer in the water, without any of the pesky chemistry!

Vera on April 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Good point, though what does currently exist is going to decay all that much faster and that’s where I come in. Of course I could trade in my work trucks for a fleet of Festivas, but I would probably die laughing as I watched my guys try to fit a tig welder into the passenger seat.

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM

apostic on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

It’ll just drive up freight rates.
and they’re already high. Hubby tries to give people fair rates. But he’s prolly gonna have to raise what he charges. That hurts everyone.

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

My neighbor’s daughter makes up in looks what she lacks in smarts… She drives her parent’s van (15 mpg) which is in terrific mechanical shape…

She was complaining that she need a new car because gas is too expensive… I asked her how much she buys, and she said $75/week (1 tank out here in SOCAL)…

I asked her how much a new car was and she said $30,000…

I said that her annual gas bill would go from $3600 to just under $2,000 if she spent $30,000 on the new car, and it would take about 20 years or so for ROI (return on investment)…

After the light came on, she thanked me for the school call…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Khun Joe on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

That’s an excellent point…but it is one of those commonsensical ideas. Hard to expect someone like Obama to give sound fiscal advice.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Khun Joe on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

But if she were a millionaire like PBHO, she could just go out and get a new vehicle.

Everything is easier when you’re a rich, out of touch, smug, jackazz who obviously thinks money appears out of thin air.

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I asked her how much a new car was and she said $30,000…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Heh, sounds like someone else is still paying the bills. If SHE was paying the bills, I’m sure that $30,000 would become $10,000 or under.

Of course that same concept couldn’t possibly apply in things like health care, could it? :-/

MNHawk on April 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM

He’s the Prez, man. He can print up all the money he wants.

coldwarrior on April 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

He hates the working middle class.

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Seriously? This “scrubbing” is really getting out of hand. It’s hard to believe that this is the country where so many have given so much in the name of freedom only to have this go on day after day.

Mr_Magoo on April 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM

IMPEACH
Just for shear idiocy.

OkieDoc on April 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I forgot one. Vent heatedly on a blog with like minded people knowing that they are all nodding sympathetically.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM

“What Liberal media?” – Lib

visions on April 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM

It’s simple really….people need to consume less.

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Well it is true. If fuel gets high enough & wages don’t change yada yada yada, people will consume less bcs they won’t be able to afford anything.
What a novel idea.
Boy that hunter gatherer lifestyle is only a dictatorship away!

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Here is the video of the quote “If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting 8 miles a gallon, you know,” Obama said laughingly. “You might want to think about a trade-in.”

the quote starts at the 3:50 mark

ChuckTX on April 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

So should I trade in the Mustang for a Camaro? Thanks, PBHO!

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM

“Yeah, this 8 mpg is terrible. I better buy that groovy new Pinto that Ford is advertising all the time now.

RBMN on April 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM”

Hey, don’t laugh. The last time Obama owned a car, I WAS driving a Pinto!
As for his remarks about 8 mpg, this is the second time he’s mentioned that in a speech. I think this’ll be his “slurpee” and car-in-the-ditch analogy for this year’s campaign. “After the Republicans drove the car into the gas station . . . there we were, wiping bugs and mud off the windshield . . . they stood in the convenience store sipping slurpees . . . complaining about $4 a gallon gas . . .

tpitman on April 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

If we can’t afford to fill our tanks, and it’s really getting that way for so many of us, then we shouldn’t be forced to fill his. Enough trips. No cars, no planes, no helicopters.

Stay home Obutthead. But then again, if you do, you might actually have to lift a finger and work.

capejasmine on April 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM

barry answered, “not that big”

the questioner replied, “i have 10 kids”

barry: “10 kids? well, you need a hybrid van”

he’s not just incompetent, he’s a jerk

erclimb on April 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM

OMG, OMG, OMG.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

(Banging head against brick wall.)

GrannyDee on April 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

During the campaign, wasn’t Obama laying blame on Bush about the high gas prices in 2007-2008?

Conservative in NOVA on April 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

What an arrogant prick.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Bishop on April 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

LOL I just love you guys. I tell my coworkers that I hang out with geniuses all day.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

(Banging head against brick wall.)

GrannyDee on April 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I’m exercising a third option – scowl.

JeffWeimer on April 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

MSM – “We don’t report it, Barry didn’t say it.”

Trust us, we’re the press.

GarandFan on April 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

It’s on video and like Granny Dee wrote it gets worse.

Here’s the pumping gas video. He’s using his phony black inflection. Getting ready for Rev. Al’s?

He then goes on to make fun of people with lots of children…a clinging to guns and bibles moment?

No Niks on April 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

This is not about you, Mr. President! Why is it always about the Narcissist in Chief? Arrogant prick is right.

scalleywag on April 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Ed, I found the AP story with the original quotes via Drudge this morning.

Honestly, I’m beginning to wonder if he has ever actually driven a car. Rumor has it that he and Michelle owned Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, but she wears the pants in the family and may have worn the chauffeur’s cap too back in the days when the weren’t riding in Presidential limos.

He is shockingly ignorant about auto insurance. Remember this Obamateurism about Acme Insurance? And he thinks tire pressure can make a significant difference with gas mileage. Maybe he likes taking the bus – Lord knows he enjoys throwing people under them.

Buy Danish on April 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

How many miles a gallon does Air Force 1 get?

We weren’t complaining about the price of gasoline (about $1.80/gallon) when Obama took office in January 2009, when most of us drove the same cars we drive now.

But I am thinking about a trade-in. Let’s trade in the President!

The Marie Antoinette quote has been very poorly translated. In French, she said “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche”. “Brioche” is not really cake, but a light, airy, very sweet form of bread baked in western France (I’ve eaten it!), which is relatively cheap on a per-volume basis, but more expensive than whole-wheat bread on a weight basis. Children like the sweet taste, but “brioche” is less nutritious than wheat bread, and French adults consider it to be junk food.

A modern-day equivalent of what Marie-Antoinette said would be “if the peasants can’t afford whole-wheat bread, let them eat cheap white bread.” It’s not nearly as tone-deaf as suggesting that they eat “cake”, although the starving French peasants of her time probably couldn’t afford cheap “brioche” bread either.

Steve Z on April 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It’s on video and like Granny Dee wrote it gets worse.

No Niks on April 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

1. It’s hard to believe that anything with Obama could get worse than it already is, but with each day that passes, I’m proven wrong again.

2. I absolutely hate that phony black inflection he uses. It’s so rude and demeaning. Black voters should be insulted by this, but the polls show that 84% of them are still supporting the Jackass-in-Chief. I truly don’t understand this.

3. With any luck and lots of prayer, those of us still clinging to our guns and bibles will be enough to vote this arrogant SOB out of office in 2012.

Tx. for the links, No Niks. Appreciate your efforts.

GrannyDee on April 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Snake307 on April 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

And Mercedes-Benz told folks a few weeks ago that they couldn’t offer their best engines as there are too many additives in our gas and their engines work best, most efficiently and pollute less on gasoline without additives.

Our major additive? Ethanol.

The fun thing about it? It was designed for non-fuel injected cars to oxygenate the gast to make it run cleaner. Fuel injection and computer systems automatically adjust the amount of fuel burned to get the best power output with the least pollution… yes, ethanol is a solution for a problem solved by technology.

ajacksonian on April 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I can’t watch a whole video clip of the man without grinding my teeth. That snotty condescension (“I am the smartest man in the room”) makes me seethe, all the more because it’s so unjustified.

RebeccaH on April 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Wow, angry much?

withmanitisimpossible on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Being sarcastic?
This issue makes me very angry.
My way of life is affected more by fuel prices than many of you.
3 yeas ago when prices went up to ~$3.60 or so per gal. of diesel, we spent over $16,000 on diesel for the ranch operations.
That didn’t include the gas $$ spent on other equipment.
We can’t even afford to make hay anymore.
So yes, this makes me angry.
My way of life, my business, is being destroyed by the govt.
And perhaps you’re not very angry aobut it.
But when you are paying $5-10 for a loaf of bread, i’d like to see how you feel then.

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Some one should make an ad – with an actress as Marie Antoinette saying ‘let them eat cake’ shot interspersed with Obama saying “if you’re complaining about the price of gas….. you need a hybrid van, then. …. but …. you my want to think about a trade in…..

CatoRenasci on April 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM