Obama: I’ll veto funding for the troops

posted at 1:25 pm on April 7, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Consider this a trap well set and sprung.  Frustrated that the Senate won’t pass any budget bill while the House continues to negotiate to the brink of a government shutdown, John Boehner proposed a one-week CR to keep government open for a week and to secure defense funding through the end of the year.  A few minutes ago, the White House stated categorically that it would veto the one-week CR if it passes the Senate in an e-mail blast, underscoring in original:

The Administration strongly opposes House passage of H.R. 1363, making appropriations for the Department of Defense for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2011, and for other purposes. As the President stated on April 5, 2011, if negotiations are making significant progress, the Administration would support a short-term, clean Continuing Resolution to allow for enactment of a final bill.

For the past several weeks, the Administration has worked diligently and in good faith to find common ground on the shared goal of cutting spending. After giving the Congress more time by signing short-term extensions into law, the President believes that we need to put politics aside and work out our differences for a bill that covers the rest of the fiscal year. This bill is a distraction from the real work that would bring us closer to a reasonable compromise for funding the remainder of Fiscal Year 2011 and avert a disruptive Federal Government shutdown that would put the Nation’s economic recovery in jeopardy. The Administration will continue to work with the Congress to arrive at a compromise that will fund the Government for the remainder of the fiscal year in a way that does not undermine future growth and job creation and that averts a costly Government shutdown. It is critical that the Congress send a final bill to the President’s desk that provides certainty to our men and women in military uniform, their families, small businesses, homeowners, taxpayers, and all Americans.  H.R. 1363 simply delays that critical final outcome.

If presented with this bill, the President will veto it.

Really?  Will Obama really argue that he can’t abide a one-week CR so much that he’s willing to shut down the government and leave the troops without income for an indeterminate amount of time?  This statement concedes that this bill takes the troops out of the line of fire in the budget debate.  Kirsten Powers recognized the obvious, remarking on Twitter: “Can’t believe Obama fell for the “funding the troops” trick. He’ll have to change position on veto threat.”

One source on the Hill thinks that Harry Reid has a weak hand on this, not for the least of reasons that a number of Democrats are already facing tough re-election campaigns in 2012.  Do they want a shutdown fight over abortion?  Not likely.  Moreover, the source points out that the White House statement is nothing than a process argument.  The White House doesn’t offer one specific substantive point in opposition to HR1363.  This might be a big bluff, but the President may be looking for a way to rally his dispirited base.

Meanwhile, there’s hope for those about to find themselves with lots of free time.  Are you a federal worker anxious about government shutdowns? Feeling oddly ambitious lately, and perhaps slightly productive? Consult with your AFSCME or SEIU representative and see if DisplacetraTM is right for you! Laura Ingraham provides some government-shutdown comedy relief today in this mockutisement for relief from the notion that the days of whine and moroses may be ending after all:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Shhh. Don’t tell anybody.

kingsjester on April 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I am sworn to silence! :-)

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Let Barry SHUT IT DOWN! After all, Barry’s already EXITED Libya, why should he care.

GarandFan on April 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Jug-eared scumbag.

Sharke on April 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Barry: Let’s shut down our troops so we can kill babies and play global warming schemes.

What a worthless waste of skin. Meatpuppet.

Key West Reader on April 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

So we have troops in harms way over in crapistan countries and Africa, and he wants to play politics with them as if they did not have anything else to worry about. Their welfare, the families are going to be bombarded by the dumb ass press about this. I spit on him.

retiredeagle on April 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

A good friend of mine has her husband serving overseas and they have three children. She’s freaking out. How will she feed and house her children?

Yup. Gotta kill them babies and play global warming games, right Barry?

Key West Reader on April 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Boehner live from the wh

MeatHeadinCA on April 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

So, if cutting spending and a budget were so all fired important to you Mr. President then why the hell didn’t you force your party to do it by October 1, 2010?

catmman on April 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

ZING!

Badger40 on April 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I have 2 sons deployed overseas. We are very concerned.

Have I said lately how much I loathe this man??

tencole on April 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

OMG…..how the heck did THAT get in there?…sorry. :)

tencole on April 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I have 2 sons deployed overseas. We are very concerned.

Have I said lately how much I loathe this man??

tencole on April 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

May I as a former service member offer this advice. Suggest in the strongest terms that your sons consider alternative career choices.

Snake307 on April 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Rep Thaddeus McCotter in 50 seconds, explains what’s going on with our budget in the most simplest of terms…so it’s going to need a pictures and diagrams to go with it for the Progressives SMILE. This should go viral.

Dr Evil on April 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

The military won’t forget the CIC stopping their pay. But Obama knows that his folks will prevent the military votes from being counted.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM

He’s bluffing.

SouthernGent on April 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Perfect Dr evil

Absolutely perfect

cmsinaz on April 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

That’s a bit too much of a generalization. I have worked with useless, stupid and lazy people in both the public and private sector.

The problem with government work is that in a ton of cases, the end product of your day of labor is a problem, not a solution. In other words – the job shouldn’t exist in the first place. Then there’s the issue of salary and benefits which are completely out of whack with the private sector – but that’s a topic for another thread.

cktheman on April 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Sure there are lazy incompetents in the private sector as well. I’d never argue otherwise. However, those people tend to, over time be weeded out. Not always, but usually. With govt employees, it’s the opposite it seems. The worse you are, the better you odds of promotion. And nobody ever gets let go for poor performance.

And I agree that most of the “work” done is, as you say, detrimental to society. Which I suppose means the less a govt worker does, the better.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM

STOP HOLDING OUR MILITARY HOSTAGE!!!!!!! Both parties are guilty of using our military, my husband, as pawns in their sick game. It is disgusting and insulting. It needs to stop now. All funding for military needs to be done seperately and WITHOUT ear marks. No pet projects no nothing other than military funding.

Shame on Boehner and Obama for using our brave men and women this way!

milwife88 on April 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Government office culture seems not to reward personal initiative and risk-taking, favoring a “checklist mentality.”

This is where the union problem comes in. I was a state worker (paper pusher), and there was no advancement by merit AT ALL. If you were there longer, you got the promotion no matter what an incompetent buffoon you were. You could also look up your pay in a book – and know exactly what it would be in a few years time. That’s absurd, even if your job is important (mine wasn’t for the most part).

cktheman on April 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Oh, and as for posting from work? Knucklehead, portlandon, et al., I like you — but “Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.” :-) If I couldn’t get on HA while at work (they do let me take breaks occasionally!), I think I’d go crazy. Well, crazier. ;-)

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Mary,

You sound like Ernie in that post comparing what public and private unions should or shouldn’t be able to do.

Vyce is paid by me and you (sucker taxpayers). He should not spend his work time on blogs. You work for a private company that pays you with private money. Separate rules should apply.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM

milwife88 on April 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Please see my comment on the first page regarding Obama’s thinking that the military is a GOP constituency. Then start thinking that more than a few people in both parties may be thinking along the same lines.

BradSchwartze on April 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Gotta say I’m disappointed by a lot of the comments here re: military. It’s right back to NIMBYism. Sure, let’s shut the govt down, but not if it means our people (military) get hurt by it.

So what happens when someone proposes we cut $500B of the budget and $100B of that is defence cuts? Are you all going to say no, no, no. We mean cut everything but defence?

This is why spending is never cut. No matter what is proposed as a reduction in spending, there is a group who will be opposed to it because it’s their pet projects that will be affected.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I posted this up in the headlines, but want to re-say it here:

Our young military also needs to remember that they’re subject to the UCMJ if this awfulness goes down in full measure. The Democrats will be vindictive squirts on personal angry/threatening FaceBook/MySpace/etc posts.

You have to be exceptionally careful how you vent in the wide open and that’s not PC ~ it’s the law.

tree hugging sister on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Naysaying is so addictive, isn’t it?

BradSchwartze on April 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Ignorance? Hardly. I’ve spent a lot of time working with government entities, both state and federal levels as a consultant. I know of which I speak. Actually I will say the fed workers were better than the state workers….but that’s a little like saying they were the tallest midgets.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Well, allow me to make a broad brushed ignorant statement like “any person who works as a government consultant must be dumber than a bank mule. The only reason they accept a government consulting contract is because they’re lazy and can’t do anything else.”

Can you not see how ignorant that is?

sdd on April 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Blame my work ethic. I produce at a high volume. It means I can get my work done quickly enough that I can steal a few moments here and there to call out people like you on your BS.

Vyce on April 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

it’s their pet projects that will be affected.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I support the military, but I have a hard time seeing it as a “pet project” of mine. To call the military a “pet project” is like Lindsay Graham saying that free speech is “a good idea.”

GaltBlvnAtty on April 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Just my worm’s-eye view… your mileage may vary.

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I spent a summer at APHIS on a trainee/internship program between my junior and senior years in vet school. I also spent 17 years with a Fortune 500 company. My APHIS module was reponsible for making the final diagnosis on all suspected cases of hog cholera and hoof and mouth disease in the U.S. and Cuba. That module was the most dedicated, hardest working group of people I’ve ever been around,..light years ahead of the private sector company. It also had two of the best bosses I’ve ever worked for, both in communication, and interpersonal relationships, plus they were more skilled and respected internally and internationally than anything I saw in private industry. As you say, there are rotten apples everywhere, but my experience with federal folks in my line of work has been nothing but positive, and that even includes those in regulatory. I also understand times have changed since then.

a capella on April 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I think the anger has more to do with the fact that the military is going to have their pay stopped because Congress cannot remove their heads from their posterior orifices and pass a budget. I’m lucky in that my husband is not deployed, but I feel for those who are in war zones getting shot at knowing that tomorrow might be the last day they get paid for a while.

I’m for cutting the defense budget, but that’s not what this is. It’s stopping military pay during a government shut-down – and the military has no recourse but to wait this out.

I understand you’re not a fan of government workers, and I’ve worked with my share of slackers, but they’re not all like that. Of course, I’m biased – my husband is about to take a contracting job in Afghanistan – but there will always be bad seeds in every demographic. To paint every government worker as a drain on society is akin to painting every conservative as backwards and ignorant. Hyperbole gets us nowhere.

Anna on April 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Vyce on April 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

So you’re ok with stealing govnernment bandwith, that we taxpayers are also paying for?

Knucklehead on April 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Knucklehead on April 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Oh for cryin’ out loud! Don’t make me stop this car and come back there!:)

a capella on April 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Atlas Shrugged due out on April 15, 2011.

The timing couldn’t be better!!!

Schadenfreude on April 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Alas, so far it is not comeing to The Detroit area as of Monday. I hope that changes.

mechkiller_k on April 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Way to go, Mr President!! Send people into combat and then toy with their lives and their families’ welfare!!! SHAME ON YOU!!! Words cannot being to describe what I feel right now!
This man should be impeached, pure and simple!!! He does not deserve to be commander in chief and president of this country!

jimver on April 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I’m getting compared to Ernie? Ee-yuch. :-P
My point was that human beings are human beings, no matter where they work.
‘Bye now.

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Catch you on another thread.

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 3:35 PM

The best union run gangster administration evah!!!!

retiredeagle on April 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Oh, you know the terms of my contract now? I work longer hours then that, don’t get any more holidays than I did from my private sector employer. I do get paid leave, for all the good I make of it – I haven’t taken a full day off work in at least three years. Because I actually have a work ethic and don’t choose to freeload.

You left a “better paying job” because you know damn well your current job is a better deal. Salary wise you may make less, but when you add in the time off, benefits, early retirement and job security, it’s a much better deal. I’m not knocking you for the choice you mad. I just wish you’d stop with the pity party.
angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

The only two appreciable benefits of this job over my private sector job are 1) cheaper insurance (about $100 less a month), and 2) experience.

Doesn’t much matter. My point is, not every government worker is a freeloader who alternates between blaming Republicans for a shutdown or wants one to happen so they can take a free vacation on the taxpayer’s dime. I want to work. I want to earn my paycheck. And I want the CHILD in the White House to shut his mouth and obediently sign whatever the House GOP passes. They’re the adults, after all, so he should follow their instruction, since he’s much of an infant to actually man up and lead.

Vyce on April 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hey, climb down off that cross. We need the wood.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I’m really not a big fan of demonizing government workers.

I happen to BE a government worker – I do work for the Department of the Navy – I served this nation in uniform for 24 years and wanted to continue as a civilian. I’m not a paper pusher … I do physically dangerous stuff in harsh environments – but the work I do helps national security and it helps our active duty folks to better fullfill their roles.

That said – I cheerfully took the payfreeze – you can freeze my pay for five year if you want … I do this job for the satisfaction I get from serving my country – not the pay. I’m all for the shutdown – put me on furlough and don’t pay me … whatever it takes, I’ll get by – I want my children to grow up in a free nation like I did and if that means I have to sacrifice … it’s nothing.

I don’t make a six figure income – I’m not one of those guys you hear about who makes all this money that civilians don’t.

I’m not a member of the Federal Employees Union – and the last time they came and spoke at my place of work – I got thrown out of the session for being “disruptive” by harrassing the union shill that was trying to recruit members.

I AM NOT ALONE – there’s a lot of guys like me out here, which is why it’s very important that people like Laura Ingraham not turn this into an “Americans VS Government Workers” war. I’m mature enough to get the point – so it doesn’t matter to me. However, I am fearful that too much “demonizing” of government employees could lead to an “us vs them” mentality in the workforce and that will result in more people joining and paying dues to the union – which will make it more powerful.

Not all govvie workers are big fat assed pencil pushers. Some of us have tough jobs. When YOU are asleep – it’s very often that many of us are out in a very unforgiving environment, risking our lives, for the purpose of improving national security.

HondaV65 on April 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hey, climb down off that cross. We need the wood.
fossten on April 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Come on, Dude. He’s just providing facts about his job, he’s not playing the role of a martyr.

Buy Danish on April 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Listen to this, to the end. It’ll make you ache.

Schadenfreude on April 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Once the “distraction” phrase is introduced, Democrats know they have lost.

William Teach on April 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I believe that it might be too hard even for you to to understand that it is this Commander in Chief and this Congress and Senate that sent people to war and now they are incapable to compromise over anything…but to call the military who are fighting wars overseas precisely because these idiot politicians sent them there – a ‘pet project’ – Sir, you must be the thickest person in the whole world, if not the meanest. Do you have any idea how it is like to go into any mission/fight when you have this kind of stress on your mind, that your family is not safe at home and might be starving. Do you??? And what is a young military spouse with a newborn to care for and bills to pay at home, and with a husband deployed supposed to do? Pls, answer me this! How are they supposed to get by? What kind of a cynical individual are you? If they want to cut down the military expenses in the long run, to save money and reduce the deficit, that’s fine, let them do it, let them put it in the next budget, but paying the salaries of the service members that you sent to war and whose mission there continues regardless of the stupidity of the politicians, it is a moral obligation. You don’t toy with people lives like this. I would not expect you to understand this though.

jimver on April 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Last year I spent three months away from my family … and a month of that was in the Arctic Circle and the other two months were at sea continuously in the Sea of Japan.

Time off? Where’s that?

Pay? I make $65K a year in this job – and I risk my life for that. In my work – one wrong move can have me dead inside a second bro.

Benefits? I have a 401K … no real hope of retiring in this job, since I’ve only had it since I retired from the Navy and I’m 49 years old now. Health Care? I have Tricare from when I retired from the Navy – it sucks, I use my wife’s insurance from her job – she’s private sector. Sooo … you’re really not paying me that much money and you aren’t paying ANY of my healthcare (in reality) … while I AM still paying into TRICARE just to keep it current (but not getting any benefit from it).

I get four hours of leave a pay period – which is commensurate with what I made as a private contractor. Now – I also get four hours of sickleave a pay period and that’s excessive I think – I’d support getting rid of that completely.

Why don’t you chill out with the hate bro? Many of us in government service are TOTALLY WITH YOU on the need to do something about our crushing debt. I’ll be the first to volunteer for any sacrifices. What else do you want me to do?

Quit my job and go private maybe? Sure – does that mean you’ll take my place freezing your ass off in the Arctic for one month out of every year?

Cuz … somebody’s got to do it bro.

HondaV65 on April 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

WTF. Obama Style.

BigAlSouth on April 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

The real enemies are not in the middle east, they are in the White House, BO the turd and Chris VanHollen the white turd, and their Dem buddies.

SANTA on April 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM

BO the turd and Chris VanHollen the white turd, and their Dem buddies.

SANTA on April 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM

FIFY. A turd’s a turd, and it still stinks.

I’m back — just talked to a govvie friend of mine. She’s just as incensed as the rest of us, and she said that “November 2012 will be a bloodbath” (don’t get the banhammer out, she meant an electoral bloodbath) if the troops aren’t paid.

Mary in LA on April 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Democrats are holding this nation hostage over funding for planned parenthood. The pay of our military is being threatened over funding to planned parenthood.

THAT is a lead story if ever I saw one.

Why are democrats holding us hostage? The need the money filtered back to them via political contributions.

Virginia Shanahan on April 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Kind-of funny – the games the W.H. and Dems are playing — with our troops and the Tea Party people — all the other citizens are commies as far a I’m concerned

wheels on April 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Feeling oddly ambitious lately, and perhaps slightly productive?

I work daily with GS employees. They are flabbergasted to discover they aren’t so important…in fact, they’re alot like their contractors.

“Completely lost” is an apt description.

And you know I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

BobMbx on April 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

it’s their pet projects that will be affected.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on April 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I believe he means funding for weapons systems and other technologies that may or may not work, that may or may not ever be fielded down the line and so on…not the entire military itself.

I remember a field grade officer telling us back in the ’80s that their (Pentagon’s) philosophy was that when their budget gets crimped, they’ll sacrifice people before their R&D (“pet”) projects.

It was nice to learn where us U.S. soldiers stood in the grand scheme of things. :-)

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM

it’s their pet projects that will be affected.

angryed on April 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

This is a hell of a lot more than a pet project, and it’s pretty insulting for you to even frame it that way. Most public workers can simply find another job if the government can no longer pay them. Our military is actively fighting three wars and can’t even come home to look for another job without risking jail time.

Big, f-ing difference. If we’re not going to pay them, we shouldn’t expect them to work. Period.

Besides, it’s my personal belief that the only reason we should even come together and form governments is for protection, making the military the only necessity in government. That’s not because I like a man in uniform or am one. That’s just my political philosophy. All other functions of government are completely secondary.

Esthier on April 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Can the R’s defund the Boy King’s vacation allowance?

profitsbeard on April 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Mr. President, please enjoy your vacation to beautiful Colonial Williamsburg.

Just as soon as you sign something, anything, that will allow my family and the families of servicemembers the comfort of knowing they’ll have money for groceries and rent this month.

The headache is relatively small compared to paying for everybody and their mom not having red flags on their clearances pop up due to missed credit card payments or property repossessed, or the nightmare of paperwork that awaits how DFAS seems to get when Soldiers are owed back pay.

Let alone the ruckus that will get going if it reaches the end of the month without pay, with closed commissaries, in high COL places like the DC area or California.

It’s like asking not to get re-elected, and for what?

Sgt Steve on April 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Hmmm…Will this shutdown ground Air Force One and ruin vacation plans?

shov74 on April 8, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Obama: I’ll veto funding for the troops

Obama: our troops don’t need funding….they can borrow bullets from the Al Qeda “rebels” they’re fighting with in Libya.

olesparkie on April 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM

It is so incredibly frustrating to hear over and over and over the MSM meme that abortion is so important to Republicans that they’ll shut down the Government over it. In actuality, quite the opposite is true. Abortion is so “vitally” important to Obama and Democrats, they’ll shut down the Government to preserve it.

olesparkie on April 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

“Gee barry, Whats a girl to do???” You need the military to win your Libyan Adventure, yet here you are alienating them…..and we all know how much the american people love pols that lose wars…makes one think that if one were in the military, one would slow waaaay downnn, like the unions do that support Barry, you know, miss some of Quaddafies men, “accidently” bomb some of the rebels….oh….wait…

colonelkurtz on April 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I don’t think Obambi likes being backed into a corner…

Lucky he’s not in Chicago anymore…

Khun Joe on April 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Will that include the troops that protect him in the White House and on Air Force One?

Tommy_G on April 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

My DIL just indicated that their LES show them only being paid for one week,(April 1-8) instead of two. Who makes the decision? Is it POTUS or is it Defense Secty Gates?

tmedlin on April 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Limbaugh nailed Obama on target. Without constitutional authority to enact warfare, failing to even attempt congressional approval of military action, Obama would enslave our Military personnel obligated under supreme penalty to risk life and destroy life without receiving their legally contracted remuneration from their Commander in Chief and from Congress themselves.

maverick muse on April 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Wouldn’t it be swell if the pilots and troops took a lesson from the Wisconsin Teachers Union and all called in sick???

colonelkurtz on April 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM