WSJ poll: Trump now tied for second nationally among Republicans, leads among tea partiers

posted at 8:13 pm on April 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

I already wrote the “surprisingly strong showing by Trump!” post yesterday vis-a-vis New Hampshire so I’m not sure what’s left to say about this. It’s a national poll this time but the key elements are all the same. He does especially well among tea partiers, which may be due to his Birtherism, his name recognition, and/or his “Beltway outsider” status. And he leads everyone except Romney, which is as strong a signal as the base can send that they’re not real thrilled with their choices thus far.

According to the latest national NBC/WSJ poll, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney leads the hypothetical 2012 GOP pack with support from 21 percent of Republican primary voters — followed by Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 17 percent each, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at 11 percent and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin at 10 percent…

Strikingly, Trump — who has received a considerable amount of attention for incorrectly stating that President Obama wasn’t born in the U.S. — finishes first among Tea Party supporters (at 20 percent), followed by Romney (17 percent), Huckabee (14 percent), Palin (12 percent) and Gingrich (9 percent).

When the field is whittled down to five Republicans — Bachmann, Barbour, Gingrich, Pawlenty and Romney — Romney leads with 40 percent, Gingrich comes in second with 20 percent and Pawlenty is third with 12 percent.

I assume that a big chunk of Trump’s support is coming from the “Not Mitt” (or “Not Anyone”) contingent, which, if true, is probably good news for Pawlenty when voters finally get to know him. He’s the cipher in the race; once Trump decides he’s not running or the base decides that they’re not going to nominate, um, Donald Trump, the “pox on all their houses” vote should logically gravitate to T-Paw.

More from the crosstabs, with bad omens for Mitt, Newt, and even Trump:

The poll also measured candidate attributes. The most popular among all respondents: being a woman (a combined 85 percent said they were either enthusiastic or comfortable with that attribute), being an African American (84 percent), being a governor (81 percent), being a Catholic (77 percent), being a Hispanic (75 percent) and being a business executive (68 percent).

The least popular: being a former lobbyist (16 percent), being a FOX News commentator (31 percent), being a Tea Party leader (35 percent), being a person with multiple marriages (46 percent) and being a Mormon (49 percent).

Pawlenty the cipher skates free while everyone else in the field slips and falls somewhere in there. But never mind the presidential numbers. Here are the truly important figures from the poll:

[T]he broader Republican electorate, including GOP-leaning independents, are evenly split, 48% to 47%, between those advising compromises against those urging political leaders to stick to their positions, even if it results in no budget agreement…

For Democrats, the calculation is more straightforward. By a 71%-to-23% split, Democrats want their leaders to reach a deal. Even the liberal and minority voices that make up the core of the party want their leaders to make the compromises necessary to win a budget agreement…

The poll also gave what Mr. McInturff called a “flashing yellow light” to Republicans as they push for big budget cuts in the current year and beyond. This week, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), flanked by dozens of Republicans, unveiled a balanced budget plan that would end Medicare’s traditional fee-for-service insurance for seniors in favor of a menu of private insurance plans whose premiums would be partially paid by the government.

But 53% of Americans say Medicare is either pretty much OK the way it is or is in need of only minor modifications. Among senior citizens, 66% counseled minor changes, at most.

Translation: Boehner has the upper hand against Obama on negotiations over the 2011 budget since The One’s base is much more eager for a deal than the GOP’s is. But when it comes to Ryan’s much more consequential 2012 budget, the fear of entitlement reform remains deep. It’s going to take a lot of “messaging” to soften that up, with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz screaming about budgetary “killer tornadoes” the whole way.

Exit quotation: “I will be better than anybody. I will do the best job. If I decide to run, I will do the best job. I will be best for this country.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is Karl Rove’s doing, in my opinion. I’m dead serious.
IronDioPriest on April 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Yep, the Magnificent Bastard is at it again. I swear I heard Rove talk about how very bad this whole birth certificate angle was, but hey, maybe I was dreaming and you’re right and they’re conspiring to win the nomination and lose to Obama.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM

When were any of these people required to present their long-form birth certificates?

RINO in Name Only on April 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM

When they ran for president.

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Ohhhh, what short horns the two of you have; your dribble is staining the page.

The two of you were able to draw a conclusion inferring something completely irrelevant to what I wrote. You read the printed word “birther” and you instantly understood what the assemblage of letters denoted. That is what words do ladies.

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Why does Obama get a pass that other presidents didn’t get?

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

If you want a far higher level analysis of Trump than you will ever get here, read an article http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/04/why_trump_is_surging_in_new_ha.html by Jack Cashill, author of “Deconstructing Obama’. Also, click on ‘comments’.

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Why do you assert that I have a contrary position? Are you looking for a reason to beat on your keyboard tonight?

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Why do you answer a question with a question?

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

American Thinker has open registration and is not CINO/RINO like hotair. I found it about a year ago and it was like going from Millers to Heineken.

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I think you underestimate the power of his stand on China. There are a LOT of working stiffs here in PA that detest China and pretty much blame the ChiComs for 30 years of job and industry losses (versus the statists in the EPA and OSHA that actually did kill their jobs).

DocinPA on April 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Why do you answer a question with a question?

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

What do you attribute your poor reading comprehension skills to?

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Then I guess if you do think he should present his birth certificate that makes you a ‘Birther’ doesn’t it? Except you probably aren’t, so your idiotic use of a term for people like yourself isn’t very bright now is it?

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

So, is Vyce/crr6/Grow fins/getalife/Proud Rinotard there?

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Just wait until the new car smell goes away and the crap-sandwich that is Obama Trump start to stink up the place. The polls will fall back to the fringe where he belongs

tjexcite on April 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

What do you attribute your poor reading comprehension skills to?

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Where did you learn to construct sentences by ending them with a preposition?

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM

What do you attribute your poor reading comprehension skills to?
ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Never and a sentence with a preposition unless you’re Winston Churchill.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Never [end]…

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Where did you learn to construct sentences by ending them with a preposition?
fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Ha, that makes two of us who caught that.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Maybe Meatloaf can run for VP

Seven Percent Solution on April 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Now, you’re contradicting your earlier statement that it was not a word by supplying a definition that suits your liking. My head is spinning from your debate skills. I’m becoming embarrassed.

**head facing floor**
**blushing**

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Ha, that makes two of us who caught that.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Competitive Whacka-a-Troll, I like it. ;)

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:57 PM

**head facing floor**
**blushing**

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

My head is spinning from your grammar skills.

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM

And, apparently, your simplification of grammar. Are you a senior now?

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

My head is spinning from over your grammar skills.

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

FIFY

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I never said any such thing. I said it was idiotic.

**head facing floor**
**blushing**

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I guess this is a position you assume a lot when dealing with democrats. I hope at least they have the courtesy to give you a reach around!

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM

A plane crashed in the middle of rural Iowa… Panic stricken, the local sheriff mobilized and descended on the farm in force. When they got there, the disaster was clear. The aircraft was totally destroyed with only a burned hulk left smoldering in a tree line that bordered a farm. The sheriff and his men entered the smoking mess but could find no remains of anyone.

They spotted a lone farmer plowing a field not too far away as if nothing had happened. They hurried over to the man’s tractor.

“Hank,” the sheriff yelled, panting and out of breath. “Did you see this terrible accident happen?”.

“Yep. Sure did.” the farmer mumbled unconcernedly, cutting off the tractor’s engine.

“Do you realize that is the airplane of the President of the United States?”

“Yep.”

“Were there any survivors?”

“Nope. They’s all kilt straight out,” the farmer answered. “I done buried them all myself. Took me most of the morning..”

“President Obama is dead?” the sheriff shouted.

“Well,” the farmer grumbled, restarting his tractor. “He kept a-saying he wasn’t … But you know how bad that sum-bitch lies.”

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM

McCain was born in the Panama Canal zone, which at the time was under U.S. control. He was asked for, and produced his Long form birth certificate.

DFCtomm on April 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM

“Do you realize that is the airplane of the President of the United States?”

“Yep.”

“Were there any survivors?”

“President Obama is dead?” the sheriff shouted.

“Well,” the farmer grumbled, restarting his tractor. “He kept a-saying he wasn’t … But you know how bad that sumbatch lies.”

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM

you have to do something about that presumptuousness, your majesty.

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM

DFCtomm on April 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM

So did Eisenhower.

Elected 34th president of the United States in November 1952, Eisenhower made it through his first 62 years without any need for a birth certificate.

However, the need arose when he became a presidential candidate.

sharrukin on April 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM

My head is spinning from over your grammar skills.
fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

FIFY

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Are you doing a Linda Blair imitation now?

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I guess this class is not well distributed with height – too much is going over your heads – I resign.

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Two things….one, when did Trump “incorrectly” state that Obama wasn’t born in the U.S.? Two, what the hell are Tea Partiers thinking? Trump is no Republican, let alone a Conservative.

xblade on April 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM

REALLY?

1. Where did the WSJ get a list of registered “Tea Partiers”??? Oh, wait…there IS NO LIST of registered “Tea Partiers”!!! So where did this data come from…a union hall somewhere in the Northeast???

2. Does the WSJ poll contain registered Republican voters, or just extreme left Democrats from the bluest-of-blue Northeast who say they are “Republicans” when they know they are being polled… trying to pollute the GOP nomination process…again…just like they did last time…leaving the Republicans with an unelectable RINO??

3. How come there is NO CONFIRMING EVIDENCE of any kind? How come their results don’t even match the HotAir results in form???

This “Poll” stinks to high heaven!!!

I CALL MAJOR B.S.!!!

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Blah, blah, blah – Heck, I even like The Donald. Every time I hear him rant about trade, foreign policy and yes, even WTF is up with Obama’s Secret birth certificate I think “you go boy! ” What does he have the others don’t? BALLZ!!! Yep, I said it!

Queen0fCups on April 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I’d rather have the ‘stache though.

Queen0fCups on April 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Calm down. It’s people who self-identify as Tea Partiers.

Buy Danish on April 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Donald Trump. What could go wrong.

SukieTawdry on April 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I like AT’s articles but the commenting is not conversational. Comments are all moderated, often rejected without any feedback, sometimes actually edited, and can take a half an hour before they post.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

All I know about him is that he’s gross. I can’t stand the sight or sound of him.

juliesa on April 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM

And I’m a tea partier.

juliesa on April 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Palin was asked to provide proof she was the biological mother of her 5th child. I thought it was only fair that Obama should’ve been asked to prove he sired his children. Goose, gander.

juliesa on April 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I tried to register and the auto-reply stated: “The user name ‘profitsbeard’ has been banned from use. Choose another name or contact the site adminsitrators“.

WTF?

Are they PC about the word “profit” or “beard”?

I “think” I’ll pass.

profitsbeard on April 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Heckle on April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Thank you!

JannyMae on April 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM

A stalking horse maybe. I’ve had that thought, and I don’t entirely trust him to make an honest run, he could do a Perot on us.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

The reason I said “trojan” rather than “stalking” is because picture all these little pink PUMAS waiting inside. ;)

Of course, I’ve also thought that it could be a devious little plot by Republicans for a purpose I won’t mention here.

Connie on April 6, 2011 at 10:59 PM

You cannot prove the truth of that statement without producing the birth certificate.

What is it about common sense that the left finds so repulsive?

disa on April 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Well, the Don does know about bankruptcy firsthand after all, so may not be a bad choice in these times.

Maybe he can get Rick Scott as VP because he’s an expert on the Constitution (the Fifth Amendment at any rate) and Medicare fraud.

I get tired of these folks who say, “We need businessmen running this country like a business!” Which ones? Montgomery Wards? Woolworth’s? Circuit City? Studebaker?

Maybe they can come up with government programs like “The Betamax Project” or “The Edsel Initiative”?

And then these same ones who are so sure that business people can save our country turn around and complain about all the bankers and CEOs in the Obama administration, and “crony capitalism”.

…Palin is such an obvious choice IMO.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

And I’m a tea partier.

juliesa on April 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM

But apparently not a supermodel. They flock to him. ;)

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM

My head is spinning from over your grammar skills.

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

FIFY

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM

My head is spinning from over your debate skills. I’m becoming embarrassed.

ericdijon on April 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

FIFY and LOL

fossten on April 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

But the Canal Zone was not a state or territory of the United States, and doesn’t that mean McCain was ineligible? The Congressional act that deemed him a natural-born citizen was a non-binding resolution.

Emperor Norton on April 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Anybody but Palin………

How about anybody but a PROGRESSIVE!!!

PappyD61 on April 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Yet another reminder to the GOP in DC….

…..YOU SUCK!!

PappyD61 on April 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Emperor Norton on April 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

No, because his parents were both citizens, and his father was there on military duty, when he was born, and it was a U.S territory at the time. He is still a natural born citizen.

JannyMae on April 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM

The Canal Zone was not a regular Territory, and it had its own rules until 1937. McCain was born in 1936. From Wikipedia:

” Although the Panama Canal Zone was legally an unincorporated U.S. territory until the implementation of the Torrijos-Carter Treaties in 1979, questions arose almost from its inception as to whether the Zone was considered part of the United States for constitutional purposes, or, in the phrase of the day, whether the Constitution followed the flag.

“In 1901 the U.S. Supreme Court had ruled in Downes v. Bidwell that unincorporated territories are not the United States. On July 28, 1904, Controller of the Treasury Robert Tracewell stated: “While the general spirit and purpose of the Constitution is applicable to the zone, that domain is not a part of the United States within the full meaning of the Constitution and laws of the country.” Accordingly, the Supreme Court held in 1905 in Rasmussen v. United States that the full Constitution only applies for incorporated territories of the United States

“Until the rulings in these so-called “Insular Cases”, children born of two U.S. citizens in the Canal Zone had been subject to the Naturalization Act of 1795, which granted statutory U.S. citizenship at birth. With the ruling of 1905 persons born in the Canal Zone only became U.S. nationals, not citizens. This no man’s land with regard to U.S. citizenship was perpetuated until Congress passed legislation in 1937, which corrected this deficiency.

“The law is now codified under title 8 section 1403. It not only grants statutory and declaratory born citizenship to those born in the Canal Zone after February 26, 1904, with at least one U.S. citizen parent, but also did so retroactively for all children born of at least one U.S. citizen in the Canal Zone before the law’s enactment.”

Emperor Norton on April 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

“And, you may say, ‘Oh, gee, that doesn’t sound like George Washington,’” Trump added. “Well, guess what? Before George Washington ran, he didn’t sound like George Washington either. I will be and do a great job, if I run and if I win.” Trump.

lexhamfox on April 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Emperor Norton on April 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

I would forget the canal zone, and look at laws government citizenship for children born to active military personnel on installations in foreign nations. I’ll bet that renders a different result.

DFCtomm on April 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

followed by Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 17 percent each

Stupid people are ruining America. ~ Herman Cain

ButterflyDragon on April 7, 2011 at 4:23 AM

And…..Trump has 100% of the “comb-over” vote…

albill on April 7, 2011 at 6:18 AM

RedState says it for me:

In a pretty shocking Wall Street Journal/NBC poll Donald Trump is ranking number two among potential GOP contenders for the President. Mitt Romney edges him out by a few points into the top slot.

There is a very simple reason for this: the field is ‘meh.’

Certainly partisans for the various candidates are excited about their various candidates. But the general consensus from conservatives is “none of the above.” Donald Trump is filling the void right now.

Around the country I keep hearing conservatives wish Mike Pence would reconsider. But there is a growing chorus of people asking, “What do we have to do to get Chris Christie to run?”

petefrt on April 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

POTUS: Trump
VPOTUS: Pawlenty
State: Bolton
Energy: Cain
Commerce: Bachmann
Interior: Palin
Education: Vacant (Defund the DOE)
Homeland Security: Brewer

the_souse on April 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM

And…..Trump has 100% of the “comb-over” vote…

albill on April 7, 2011 at 6:18 AM

No, Mitch Daniels has 50% of it.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM

OMG, this would be the equivalent of electing the most popular, but biggest screw up to the Student Body President role. It’s fun..but just plain stupid.

My high school did this my senior year, and before a month was out the new Prez and Vice Prez (who’s speech contained the phrase “I know the only school spirit I’ve ever shown was painting SHS on my car but…”) were taken out of office by the school administrators for absurd and counterproductive behavior. I mean, really, Folks, it’s like Jesse Ventura being elected governor.

*sigh* We’re so screwed.

tickleddragon on April 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

This happened my senior year as well. Our class president was elected as a ‘write in’ but the powers that be didn’t like that so they held an assembly and told us to vote again. The 2nd time, the kid who squeaked by with a plurality the 1st vote, got about 90% of the vote, got us another assembly, and got our principal so worked up that we were told nobody was going home that day until we had elected someone on the official ballot. This was a Catholic School so they could do that kind of thing to us. We wasted another view hours pissing off thee establishment before giving in.

The upshot is – nobody wants to be told who to vote for, and the more the media says we shouldn’t vote for somebody, the more intrigued I get.

At the very least, I hope Trump stays in the race long enough to bring up all the questions about Obama that the media won’t. And the media will have to cover it because they have to cover Trump. It’s pure genius.

Postscript – the popular screw-up who got elected the first five or six times my class voted is now an undercover detective in drug enforcement. So maybe we were right all along.

SittingDeadRed on April 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Stupid people are ruining America. ~ Herman Cain

Herman Cain would be the perfect running mate for Trump. Another business guy, from the South, conservative, knowledgeable. He was my pick in the poll for Pres but obviously has name recognition issues.

Plus he could take over as President when Trump gets bored in 6 months!

SittingDeadRed on April 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Trump is not eligible to run or be POTUS because there are questions whether or not his mother was a citizen at the time of his birth. Notice he is only concentrating on the birthplace of Obama and not the fact that it does not matter if Obama was born in the heartland of America because his father was not a citizen and therefore Obama is not a natural born citizen.

Trump is a fraud but a useful fraud at this point in the game:)

Watching_Cloward-Piven on April 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Watching_Cloward-Piven on April 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Oh look, somebody discovered how to use copy/paste. How cute.

fossten on April 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

petefrt on April 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I’m surprised Red State acknowledged Trump’s existence: he’s a “birfer” afterall, and Erikson said all “birfers” would be banned from his precious Red State.

Watching_Cloward-Piven on April 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Nope. WND has already been all over his mother’s, Mary Ann MacLeod’s, citizenship and it’s all fine:

-Aslan’s Girl