Votes Coming on EPA CO2 Maneuvers

posted at 1:35 pm on April 6, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

As early as today, Congress will be taking up two different matters, both of which seek to prevent the EPA from effectively passing a back-door version of Cap and Trade by regulating greenhouse gas emissions. First, the House is scheduled to vote on HR 910, the Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011. You can read the full text of the bill here, but the summary pretty much says it all.

To amend the Clean Air Act to prohibit the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency from promulgating any regulation concerning, taking action relating to, or taking into consideration the emission of a greenhouse gas to address climate change, and for other purposes.

At nearly the same time, the Senate will take up Mitch McConnell’s EPA amendment, attached to S. 493, the SBIR/STTR Reauthorization bill, which seeks to effectively accomplish the same thing. So why is this important to you?

Once congressional Democrats saw public support for cap and trade eroding and lost their taste for a battle on the hill over it, the Obama administration moved to sidestep the legislative process and essentially accomplish the same goals through EPA regulatory fiat. And make no mistake, nothing has changed. This still works out to be a de facto tax, where energy companies will incur major new costs to comply with the rules which they will then pass on to consumers.

And this is probably the worst possible time to sock it to working families in the form of heightened utility bills. A study conducted in February found that low income families are already the hardest hit when it comes to energy costs, including large amounts of domestic energy production which still comes from coal. (An area which would be hardest hit by such regulations.)

• Lower-income households are paying nearly a quarter of their income for energy costs. The 27 million lower-income households earning between $10,000 and $30,000, representing 23% of U.S. households, will allocate 23% of their 2011 after-tax income to energy, more than twice the national average of 11%.
  • Minority households are disproportionately impacted by higher energy costs. In 2009, 62% of Hispanic households and 67% of black households had average annual incomes below $50,000, compared with 46% of white households and 39% of Asian households. Energy costs represent a much larger fraction of disposable income for households earning less than $50,000 than for wealthier families. Due to these income inequalities, the burdens of energy price increases are imposed disproportionately on black and Hispanic households.
  • Senior citizens living on fixed incomes are particularly vulnerable to energy price increases. Seniors have the highest per capita residential energy consumption among all age categories. The average basic Social Security income of 31.5 million senior households was $15,443 in 2009. The median income of 25.3 million households with a principal householder aged 65 or older was $31,354.

This might be a good time to melt the phones, folks. Get hold of your rep and senators and let them know they need to support us on these votes. Or, you can just sit back, do nothing, and get ready to pay more in energy costs across the board without Congress ever having a voice on the matter.

Comments

That sounds dirty.

lorien1973 on April 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Not if you’re trying to destroy the American Middle Class.

PappyD61 on April 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM

CO2 kills the elderly…

– Debbie Wasserman-Schultz

Seven Percent Solution on April 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

The photo you are showing is water vapor rising from cooling towers, not smoke from smokestacks.

sdsorrentino on April 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I’ve given up on melting down the phones, Ed. Neither will pass because the idiots still don’t understand what happened on November 2nd.

Knucklehead on April 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM

From Smart Girl Politics:

ACTION ALERT!

We have two chances today for you to take action against the overreach of the EPA. These are time-sensitive issues, so we need to take action TODAY.

First, a vote on the McConnell Amendment is imminent; if passed, this amendment will strip the EPA of the ability to regulate and tax greenhouse gas emissions. We have teamed up with FreedomWorks to identify eight key Senate targets. The following 8 Senators have emerged as priority targets for supporting the McConnell Amendment (Inhofe-Upton legislation) that will stop EPA’s backdoor cap and trade scheme. Please go to this link to make your voice heard: http://action. freedomworks.org/4118/dont- let-obama-administration-get- away-with-backdoor-cap-trade

Additional contact information:

1. McCaskill (MO) (202) 224-6154 (Twitter: @clairemcc)

2. Stabenow (MI) (202) 224-4822 (Twitter: @stabenow)

3. Brown (OH) (202) 224-2315 (Twitter: @sensherrodbrown)

4. Tester (MT) (202) 224-2644

5. Casey (PA) (202) 224-6324

6. Snowe (ME) (202) 224-5344 (Twitter: @SenatorSnowe)

7. Begich (AK) (202) 224-3004 (Twitter: @SenatorBegich)

8. Collins (ME) (202) 224-2523

In addition, SGP’s petition to the EPA asking them to keep their hands off our soaps ends tomorrow. Go to http://www.handsoffepa.com for more information and to sign the petition.

By taking action today, we can stop the trampling of our rights by the EPA. Please join with us!

Get busy- my senators helped write the stinkin’ thing so I’m calling the out of staters.

NTWR on April 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM

sdsorrentino on April 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM

WRONG! That is a nuclear smoke stack. Everyone knows nuclear smoke is white. Its a chemical process that occurs when nuclear exhaust mixes with high levels of anthropogenic CO2 in the atmosphere (not the natural C02).

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Call your Congress critter.

Just got off the phone with mine. EPA has got to be reined in, defunded or eliminated, and soon. The Legislature will make all laws, not the Executive branch.

coldwarrior on April 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The epa is one agency that needs to be de-funded stat! This agency has done major harm to our nation and needs to go.
L

letget on April 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I’ve had staffers flat out refuse to give their bosses a message. They just don’t care. I still call, but I honestly question if it matters at all.

Vera on April 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Well if your senator is Barbara Boxer, you’re screwed:

She then entered into the record a despicable letter signed by a long list of environmental groups — groups that are anti-business, anti-civilization, anti-human — that read, among other things:

Medical professionals and public health organizations agree that carbon dioxide pollution is a serious public health issue.

No, they do not. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support this claim. It is 100% false. She continued:

rbj on April 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Vera on April 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Email them at least you have a record, for what it is worth. Did you find that problem with staffers at the D.C. number and the local number?

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Are you sure? We have smoke stacks like that in Jacksonville, FL that I thought were nuclear for years but turn out to be coal.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I would burn the phones but I live in Chicago.

xrayiiis on April 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM

This is the one I thought was nuclear.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM

The boring answer is that cooling towers of this sort are used in many coal and nuclear plants, but really, Bob’s is my favorite answer, and perfect:

G. Charles on April 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Considering the fact that CO2 has never been demonstrated scientifically to actually cause atmospheric temperatures to rise, & considering that CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere actually have been scientifically demonstrated to rise in response to rising temperatures, I’m not quite sure what can be done about any of this.
The EPA was created in the 1st place to usurp state sovereignty in the guise of protecting public health.
I think we can all agree there was a time when there were lots of people raping & pillaging the land. Mostly out of ignorance.
It is not the norm for companies to do this nowadays.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. But with liabilities, insurance, etc. safety & the environment are much more at the forefront of things now.
But unfortunately, it’s too much.
So much so that common sense has been overidden.
When you’ve got a govt agency that claims it must regulate milk the same way it does oil spills bcs milk has fats in it, which are technically ‘oil’, then insanity rules the day & the agency has now (& for a long time now) outlived any usefulness it once had.
Kill the EPA.

Badger40 on April 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I would burn the phones but I live in Chicago.

xrayiiis on April 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Imagine how the EPA could fine you for releasing such toxic substances into the air.

Badger40 on April 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Me call Dianne and Babs? What for?

GarandFan on April 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Me call Dianne and Babs? What for?

GarandFan on April 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I think as long as the 17th Amendment hangs around, we’re going to have this problem.
These Senators are pretty much nationally elected through outside dollars & lobbyists etc.
I really think if you get rid of it, a small bit of sanity will come back into national politics.
My Senator for the ND legislature is the guy who coached my daughter’s BBall team. He’s a great guy.
And I know where he lives.
I can get a hold of a guy like that & tell him what I think.
That’s the kind of thing we need again.
It would bring back more accountability to the office.

Badger40 on April 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM

sdsorrentino on April 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Are you sure? That’s not what they taught me in Journalism Science 101.

MNHawk on April 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

sdsorrentino on April 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Correct. And water vapor is the dominant greenhouse gas, much more of a factor than CO2. So that steam is DESTROYING THE PLANET!! Water, AKA Dihydrogen Monoxide, must be banned. Here, sign the petition……..

iurockhead on April 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

1. McCaskill (MO) (202) 224-6154 (Twitter: @clairemcc)

McCaskill’s Twitter address is incorrect. It is:
@clairecmc

Vince on April 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Shouldn’t the screen shot be this…?

Seven Percent Solution on April 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I have, like, a whole bunch of really hard to get degrees from schools you’ve probably never heard of. Thats because they’re exclusive and very expensive. One of my majors is nuclear smoke stack identification. And that is a nuclear smoke stack.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Gee, I guess I should have know all that from your name because no one is ever wrong on the internet. But I love sarcasm, so good job.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Sarcasm isn’t really sarcasm if you use the /sarc tag. Its like saying “hey, I’m about to play a joke on you” before you a tell a joke.

Another one of my degrees is in sarcasm, with a minor in pessimism, btw.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM

That’s too bad because I major in optimism and it was much more pleasant thinking you were being funny than an insulting a$$hole but you enjoy yourself.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I called Dicks. Cantwell and Murray are too far gone to be persuaded by any rational argument.

JeffB. on April 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Whoa there. I in no way intended to insult you. Truth be told, I have but one degree, and its a pretty common one.

The intent of both posts was to assume the position of the average leftard by creating a strawman argument (nuclear smoke stack..everybody knows), then giving myself credibility by claiming super-degree status and subliminally suggesting you would be embarrassed if you questioned my education (exclusive and expensive), then confirming my argument as fact (That is a……).

Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my posts.

(OK, thats a leftard meme also…the non-apology)

So, just for you:

Cindy, I am sorry my style of commenting has caused you offence. You have my deepest apologies for that, and if there is any way I can convince you that I am not, as you say, an “insulting asshole”, please let me know and I will strive to fulfill it.

Respectfully,

BobMbx

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my posts.

(OK, thats a leftard meme also…the non-apology)

So, just for you:

Cindy, I am sorry my style of commenting has caused you offence. You have my deepest apologies for that, and if there is any way I can convince you that I am not, as you say, an “insulting a$$hole”, please let me know and I will strive to fulfill it.

Respectfully,

BobMbx

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I got it. And it was funny.

misterpeasea on April 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

In Marin County? Right. I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Pablo Snooze on April 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM

In Marin County? Right. I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Pablo Snooze on April 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I had family that lived there while i was growing up (Novato) & would visit summers.
Even when I was kid I knew many of the people in that area were insane.
I’m feel your pain.

Badger40 on April 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM

That’s a whole lot of water vapor in that photo. Which is a bigger greenhouse forcing that CO2 but…the picture is missleading in this case.

Dario on April 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I called Diane and Babs during the healthcare fight. Their staffers literally laughed at and mocked me over the phone. They have no regard for the opinions of conservatives in their state. How I wish we had gotten rid of Boxer’s worthless as* in 2010.

hachiban on April 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM

if your senator is Barbara Boxer, you’re screwed

rbj on April 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

An all-purpose statement if ever there was one.

J.E. Dyer on April 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

BobMbx: just for you.

J.E. Dyer on April 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Scott Brown will be voting for this, but we don’t need him, he’s just a RINO. I’m sure Martha Coakley would have been on board too.

SittingDeadRed on April 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I just love the smell of CO2 in the morning.

Dhuka on April 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

J.E. Dyer on April 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Sweet. Believe it or not, I didn’t see that post. I think lasted a whole 20 seconds…couldn’t take it anymore.

But my mea culpa to Cindy is an honest one.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I just love the smell of CO2 in the morning.

Dhuka on April 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Perhaps many of these liberal Congresspeople would think more clearly if they were locked in a room full of CO2.

Badger40 on April 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

What a novel theory!!!

Tell me, what is the chemical process which you use to distinguish “natural CO2″ from “anthropogenic CO2″ in order to make this assertion?

You Pagans (aka “environmentalists”) have such strange religious beliefs.

I won’t bother you with scientific arguments.

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Lord have mercy.

What a novel theory!!!

I’ve submitted a paper on this topic for publishing in respected scientific journals such as Leftard Weekly, The Gore Report, and Junk Science just to name a few. Keep an eye open for them in the coming months.

Its called flatulatism. But you knew that already. I won’t bore you or the Hot Air crowd with the poly-syllabic words required to discuss the process.

You Pagans (aka “environmentalists”) have such strange religious beliefs.

As a leftard, I don’t believe in ghosts.

I won’t bother you with scientific arguments.

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM

See the “poly-syllabic” comment above.

————————-

For over 5 years I’ve been pulling this schtick on HA and back at CQ (Ed’s former blog).

I am not a leftard, a pagan, or a scientist, or an environmentalist.

I am freakishly conservative. I own guns. I don’t like taxes. And I will vote for my left shoe if it gets the GOP presidential nomination in 2012.

And I don’t use the /sarc tag. It spoils the mood.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I’m pretty sure The Lancet would publish you as well.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

And I don’t use the /sarc tag. It spoils the mood.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Forget the /sarc tag Bob. I love it.

If people couldn’t spot the sarcasm in your posts then they need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

keep on keepin’ on dude.

exsanguine on April 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM

my mea culpa to Cindy is an honest one.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I know, and Cindy’s good troop — she’s not a “Dear Woman” woman.

But it was too good to pass up.

Shouldn’t you be writing emails to fellow anthropogenic CO2-induced white-smoke experts on how to “widen the white” or something?

J.E. Dyer on April 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

As often happens, meanings get lost in text. Please don’t give another thought, I have misunderstood more people than I want to think about.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM

IT, please don’t give it another thought. Why can’t I see my errors when I proof read? Maddening.

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Cindy Munford on April 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I luvs me some Cindy.

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Gee….who can argue with a guy who boldly asserts…from viewing a picture…that cows are stationed beneath, and are farting into, nuclear smokestacks???

SARC>SARC>SARC>

LMAO!!!!

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM

BobMbx on April 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

SARC>SARC>SARC>

LMAO!!!!

landlines on April 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I would burn the phones but I live in Chicago.

I would burn the phones but I live in NYC.

YehuditTX on April 7, 2011 at 2:33 AM