Video: Glenn Beck says goodbye, sort of

posted at 7:23 pm on April 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite. He’s not leaving today, and he’s not leaving the network, but … yeah, he’s leaving the show. First Olby, now Beck: In less than three months, cable news has lost its most entertainingly theatrical bombthrowers. Feels like the end of an era, with a CNN-like regression to the bland in progress across the dial. At the rate we’re going, in a few more years, the most “dangerous” guy in primetime will be Anderson Cooper. Gadzooks. What hath Jon Stewart’s “sanity” crusade wrought?

While Beck was saying farewell, Chris Matthews was congratulating Media Matters for having allegedly forced him from the air or something. Which brings us to our exit quetion: Who will/should replace Beck in crushing Matthews in the ratings at 5 p.m.? My hunch is that, with the GOP primaries around the corner, they might just stick a political news hour in there a la “America’s Election HQ.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Pundit, babe.

Anyway, Kristy Noem…? Anyone? …anyone? Bueller? ;)

Bee on April 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I haven’t the foggiest notion what you’re talking about.

/englishaccent

MadisonConservative on April 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Mark Steyn

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please.

Seriously great idea, I love it.

SoRight on April 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

So Chrissy Matthews is relieved that he may yet get his contract picked up for another year.

GarandFan on April 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Katie Couric. Yes, I’m kidding, but Ailes is crazy enough to do it AND make it work.

joejm65 on April 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

MadisonConservative on April 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Prefer an Irish accent, actually. IYKWIMAITYD.

Bee on April 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

On Fox Business a few minutes ago, Glenn nominated Judge Napolitano for his slot.

I’d support that. Definitely.

Means 5:00 is the Libertarian Hour. I’d love it.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Red Eye, baby. Ratings gold.

OhioCoastie on April 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Beck has done what he set out to do on Fox. Time to move on to the next thing. He’s not done yet.

Btw, I vote for EIB’s undocumented guest host, Mark Steyn.
I’ve never watched that slot on FOX, but I’d tune in for Mark.

tickleddragon on April 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Just now on Fox Business Channel, Glenn was on Judge Napolitano’s show.
Glenn said, “If you think the libs are happy about my leaving the FNC
afternoon show, just wait a few months and they’ll be praying for me to
return to it. ”

Big time stuff ahead.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Mark Steyn

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I’ve listened to him fill in for Rush, and I don’t think he can fill an hour show. He’s an intellectual monster, and I enjoy his writing as much as anyone, but it doesn’t translate to tv.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I love Mark Steyn. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him on TV though…

MikeknaJ on April 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Mark Steyn

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Seriously great idea, I love it.

SoRight on April 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Would be wonderful!

Never happen.

Bruno Strozek on April 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Just now on Fox Business Channel, Glenn was on Judge Napolitano’s show.
Glenn said, “If you think the libs are happy about my leaving the FNC afternoon show, just wait a few months and they’ll be praying for me to return to it. ”

Big time stuff ahead.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Yep, I’m hoping Beck and Mercury will do a lot more research into Soros and the arab r-word connections and move that relationship into the light. With little Bammie’s administration it’s all about connections and there’s far more there than we know.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Gutfeld or bust!!

hillbillyjim on April 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Is Beck running for president?

p40tiger on April 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Just now on Fox Business Channel, Glenn was on Judge Napolitano’s show.
Glenn said, “If you think the libs are happy about my leaving the FNC
afternoon show, just wait a few months and they’ll be praying for me to
return to it. ”

Big time stuff ahead.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Sounds to me like he landed the 8pm slot. Wouldn’t surprise me.

maineconservative on April 6, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Prove one lie Beck has told or one significant thing he has gotten wrong.

He has connected more dots than anyone else on the new and more liberal Fox News.

Amazing how many people refuse to see truth when it is presented to them. He’s not crazy, and he is certainly braver than most. I

texanpride on April 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM

And Glenn Beck has educated more people about history, economics, politics, and philosophy than PBS. His influence has gotten more people to read and inform themselves than many instructors.

Glenn Beck has had a positive impact on appreciating liberty and American exceptionalism than other political pundits.

He has been a jewel in broadcasting history.

onlineanalyst on April 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Why not Drew Carey, a libertarian could be quite tasty.

paulsur on April 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Bill Whittle

Unquiet on April 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM

No one will care whoever fills in at 5pm time on some cable news channel because when Glenn does move on the Communists, Marxists and Radical Muslims would be splitting up the world and counting the dead. Money will be worthless and shelves would be empty. The in-fighting of our new overloads would have just started and the world is now entering into the great dark age. It will last 60 years and cost 50% of the planet population. For a time there will be a Communist utopia and a caliphate but in the end there will be a new Glenn Beck to guide the world to the light.

tjexcite on April 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Everything that you say and then some.

I know from anecdotal personal experience that Beck has opened the eyes and minds of some lifelong Democrats who are now questioning a number of their previously unexamined assumptions.

Beck has informed people who do not get their news from blogs but who rely on television for their understanding of what is going on in the world around them.

It is foolish to underestimate his impact.

onlineanalyst on April 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Also, Beck knows how to use a visual medium to impart information, corny as some of his devices are, much better than opinionated spewers like Matthews or Olbermann or any of their ilk. Sitting behind a desk and spitting outrage were never his mode.

onlineanalyst on April 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Who will/should replace Beck in crushing Matthews in the ratings at 5 p.m.

Youtube videos of kittens riding a Roomba.

Bill Ramey on April 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Well Ann Barnheart of CO that’s who.

unseen on April 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Both clips were awesome. Thanks! Another great patriot, like Glenn.

We owe him a huge debt of gratitude. He is our modern day Paul Revere, along with a few others.

I cannot wait to see what he comes up with next. Libs and their Islamist brethren should be very, very afraid. .

Godspeed, Glenn Beck and thank you! Yes, I’m sure as you say, “we’ll find each other”.

Opinionator on April 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM

The fun thing is, the folks from both the left and the right who are afraid of Beck say exactly the same things about him. All ad hominem attacks, no substance. Beck tells the truth as he finds it, and ALWAYS quickly corrects an error when he becomes aware of it. And as others have said, he’s right far more than not.

But then, some people actually like Bill O’Reilly.

Freelancer on April 6, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I’d say this re-arrangement has nothing to do with the (failed) boycott, MSM spin notwithstanding, and everything to do with a more aggressive business partnership between Mercury Radio and Fox News.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Bingo. Beck’s been hinting since autumn of last year at a major shift taking place this year. Also, Mercury’s been expanding like crazy, both in personnel and in market footprint. Nothing in this behavior suggests that Beck’s success is in anything close to a decline.

Another reason Beck may have decided to restructure the contract with Fox: content distribution rights. Fox owns all rights to the content of the 5 PM “Glenn Beck” show, meaning that Beck himself can’t distribute any of the old shows or TV specials. (If I recall correctly, it’s for this reason that he can’t provide his first documentary, “Revolutionary Holocaust,” to his Insider Extreme subscribers.) With Beck/Mercury increasingly involved in producing video content, this kind of restriction would increasingly be a problem.

Harpazo on April 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Youtube videos of kittens riding a Roomba.

Bill Ramey on April 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

That is hilarious, as are some of the other videos linked there, especially the adult cats zooming around. My own cat loves my Roomba, but he never has attempted a ride. He just stares it down on its random path, daring it to come near. When it does, he nonchalantly moves from his sphinx pose and continues his steely-eyed watch.

onlineanalyst on April 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Well Ann Barnheart of CO that’s who.

unseen on April 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

that is one brave woman. Lindsey is a twerp…but I worry about the second vid.

r keller on April 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Well Ann Barnheart of CO that’s who.

unseen on April 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Holy crap! That was fantastic! Thank you for posting that!

dominigan on April 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I don’t think people realize that Glenn’s show is so much more than just Glenn. He has this brilliant machine behind him. He obviously has people “who get it” working for him, they know all this stuff is out there and they know how to look for it, not to mention support from sources inside the revolutionary movement itself. I honestly think at this point, a weekly format would better serve everyone involved. The truth has no agenda!

You could build an entire series explaining the evolution of ‘Individual Free Will – America from concept to reality’ just by packaging what he has already done, but Fox owns it not Glenn.

Pole-Cat on April 7, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Who will/should replace Beck in crushing Matthews in the ratings at 5 p.m.?

A test pattern?

Blacklake on April 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Just now on Fox Business Channel, Glenn was on Judge Napolitano’s show.
Glenn said, “If you think the libs are happy about my leaving the FNC
afternoon show, just wait a few months and they’ll be praying for me to
return to it. ”

Big time stuff ahead.

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I like the sound of that.

Dopenstrange on April 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

That is the way I see it. As long as Beck was contractually tied to Fox, he did not have 100% control of his creative genius. By leaving, Fox has plausible deniability for anything he does while maintaining a sort of “partnership” with the Beck money generator.

Unleash the hounds . . .

BigAlSouth on April 7, 2011 at 6:46 AM

You can’t tell if Beck is “leaving” or just leaving…he is such a drama queen.
Maybe he is losing his eyesight after all, one of his drama queen moments.
Or the mysterious decease that was consuming his body, another drama queen moment.
He will milk this like any good preacher, the Jim and Tammy Bakker of politics.

right2bright on April 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Am I missing something?
He is on through the summer correct?
Regarding Liberals on this: it feels kind of like teasing an eager dog…

mjbrooks3 on April 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM

mjbrooks3 on April 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM

His contract doesn’t expire until December, for what that’s worth.

My hunch is that Glenn wants to move more into investigative specials and documentaries with his own distribution rights. Just a hunch.

petefrt on April 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Hey Matthews! you must always remember.

DrM2B on April 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

The one I would like to replace him is Michael Barry!

SgtRed on April 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Glenn said, “If you think the libs are happy about my leaving the FNC afternoon show, just wait a few months and they’ll be praying for me to return to it.” Big time stuff ahead.
petefrt on April 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Everything the liberals say circles around “leaving Fox.”

But everything Glen and Fox themselves actually say is in terms of “leaving the daily program,” or “leaving the afternoon show.”

I always hate to do this in the middle of any media circus, but let’s stop and think for a second about what would actually MAKE SENSE here.

Given Beck’s ratings, he should have moved to prime time long ago. There’s going to have to be some serious ego-juggling among the shows there now, so they won’t be able to announce the details for a while.

logis on April 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I hope Beck is back in forum or another on TV. What a brilliant idea to expose the literary ideology of a group. Seems like it should be a norm, but I guess for the MSM the surface is what counts.

Irenaeus on April 7, 2011 at 3:02 PM