Kloppenburg declares victory: With all precincts reporting, lead is … 204 votes

posted at 4:14 pm on April 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Total votes cast: 1,479,976. Which means, assuming it holds up after the inevitable recount, the final margin would be … 50.0068% to 49.9931%. After spending six hours last night watching the tally see-saw on the AP’s election page, I’m actually surprised that we didn’t end up in a dead heat.

Possession is, as they say, nine-tenths of the law, so Kloppenburg’s declaring the state supreme court hers:

In a statement, Kloppenburg said:

“We owe Justice Prosser our gratitude for his more than 30 years of public service. Wisconsin voters have spoken and I am grateful for, and humbled by, their confidence and trust. I will be independent and impartial and I will decide cases based on the facts and the law. As I have traveled the State, people tell me they believe partisan politics do not belong in our Courts. I look forward to bringing new blood to the Supreme Court and focusing my energy on the important work Wisconsin residents elect Supreme Court justices to do.”

Partisans on both sides spent the last few hours today waiting for one last precinct in Prosser-friendly Jefferson County waiting to come in. But according to the Journal-Sentinel, even if that had broken overwhelmingly for him, the votes just weren’t there. Because the margin’s so narrow, the AP’s going to recheck its own totals county by county and post the final number today, so this might yet change — but barring a fairly significant error, probably not by enough.

Three bits of good news here. One: It was much closer than any of us thought it would be. I fully expected a four- or five-point Kloppenburg win given the left’s outrageously outrageous outrage over the collective bargaining law. A good omen for next year’s turnout. Two: As Kloppenburg’s own campaign acknowledges, because she won’t be sworn in until August, she probably won’t have a chance to rule on the collective bargaining law. She’ll be a stalwart hack for the left in opposing every other element of Walker’s agenda, needless to say, but on the key piece of legislation at stake, she’s likely arrived too late to do anything about it. And three: There is, I suppose, a chance of Prosser winning the recount, but after Norm Coleman and Joe Miller, how lucky do you feel?

It pains me to do it, but I think it’s time for a cameo from you-know who. Exit question: Should the Republican senate re-pass the collective bargaining bill — just to be on the safe side?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The morons in Wisconsin deserve the screwing they are going to get. I hope their economy collapses.

woodNfish on April 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words. Appreciated.

wi farmgirl on April 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hey Wisconsin girl! Perhaps you can shed some insight
regarding a question I have. Do you know if Wisconsin GOP
were active in getting out the vote on Pressor’s behalf?
They seemed to be pretty silent -

Amjean on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

…and it’s only Wednesday.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

And you’re still a disingenuous troll.

jawkneemusic on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

The Republicans shouldn’t repass the legislation, the did nothing wrong. If they feel it’s an emergency to get the law passed, and the Democrats refused to participate in the process, why no do it the way they did it?

Since the citizens of the State of Wisconsin didn’t do their job and vote for Judge Prosser, we have to rely on them doing their job when the recall ballots come up. They didn’t send a message this time, even with the close vote, because the union thugs know they won and they feel empowered because they pulled out all the stops, they needed to pull out all the stops because they won by a real right margin, so they feel they did what they had to, to win.

If they are successful recalling one Republican legislator, you can kiss tough choices by legislators good-bye. Now, if they recall one Democrats fleebagger, they’ll have sent a message that will resonate from state to state.

bflat879 on April 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Lol, let us all face facts, Republican politicians believe in adhering to the rules and don’t really know how to fight. Lib Democrats will cheat, lie or just buy a judge to change the rules for them until they win. I am surprised it was this close, but I knew the fix was in on this one.

Africanus on April 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Friends, this is one election. They can’t stop us.

The fight is still ours to win, there is no plan by the Democrats except to continue to spend. This is what swept the Republicans back into power.

This is a long fight. As Ed as explained, the new judge will not rule on the collective bargaining law. Wisconsin still wins.

Men like Walker thing long term, and it’s time we did as well, and not let something such as this disturb us.

We’ll win.

itsspideyman on April 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Africanus on April 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I so tired of these people making our country look like some kind of a third world cesspool every election cycle.

whbates on April 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

This appears to be a blunder fotWalker and the Wisconsin GOP from a strategic point of view. Before the bill passed, Prosser was a heavy favorite to win. Why passed such a provocative bill, knowing it will end up in the Supreme Court there, before they have secured a conservative majority in the Court, that will be there for a few years, by re-electing Prosser?

bayview on April 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

bflat879 on April 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

A sad likelihood. Legitimate leaders are handed power in trust. One of their duties is smacking down brats, regardless of polls. I won’t count them out until they’re out, but if they retreat again, they’re done. RIP Republicans, party of collaboration and ruin.

In Wisconsin, people voted moral legitimacy into two branches of government. The Executive and Legislative don’t have to put up with this crap. They still have legitimate means. The time is now.

Feedie on April 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM

bflat879 on April 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Not necessarily….this was a close one, even if Stuart Smalley was flown in secretly to handle the “recount”.

However, I think the Tea Party and the GOPers they support need to stay on task and leave the ideological battles to the extremists and the pundits. We don’t need a resurgent Dem/Liberal electorate at this time or in the near future to put things back the way they were before last November.

Stick to the fiscal aspects, IMHO, or the Tea Party movement will become fragmented as those of us who are union members, teachers, state employees, social conservatives, Blue Dog Democrats, right of center conservatives, independents and so on are driven away by what sometimes is starting to look like the Moral Majority Part II.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM

But my central point is true (that top b-schools don’t value objective indicators of intelligence as much as top law schools do).
crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

You are so tiresome. As I posted elsewhere, are you aware of the new empirical study that shows a negative correlation between progressive ideology and intelligence among legal academics? Maybe we need to type more slowly for you.

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Here near DC the consensus on the street appears to be that the tea party extremist GOP is not satisfied with budget cuts because they insist on defunding planned parenthood. I’m pro life but I worry that if the government shuts down and people don’t get their tax returns, the media will successfully spin it as the GOP being inflexible on social issues.

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Actually, that study was invented as an April Fool’s joke.

I was going to type “LOL,” but that wouldn’t convey exactly how hard I laughed at your post. You are a complete moron.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Actually, that study was invented as an April Fool’s joke.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM

In recognition of this historic moment in internet self-PWNAGE, I hereby make a motion to refer to FireFly_76 as “April Fool” in the future. AF for short.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM

And down in Florida they have a bill with which to bring back prayer in schools and another to introduce “intelligent design” into the evolution teaching benchmarks.

Now, personally, I have no problem with either of those, nor with defunding Planned Parenthood (shouldn’t have been funded in the first place), but I think the Right is biting off more than it can chew right now, and if these measures are unacceptable to voters, they’ll be put back in if/when Dems are elected into current GOP seats.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM

“Actually, that study was invented as an April Fool’s joke.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM”

Lol, so what your tell us is every study claiming liberals display some sort of intelligence or common sense is a joke?

Africanus on April 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Africanus on April 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

No, I’m saying the study he posted was actually invented as an April Fool’s joke. It’s not real.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

This one was a lot better:

Caught ‘The Guardian’ and ABC, among others. Much like Fox Mulder, they wanted to believe….

If done today, it would probably list Obama as having around a 400 IQ.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM

If done today, it would probably list Obama as having around a 400 IQ.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Haha, that is actually pretty funny. But fyi the “ABC” they’re referring to is a Spanish newspaper, not the tv network.

Anyway, I’m curious as to whether April Fool will show up and face the music….

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

woodNfish on April 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM

So it’s the ‘morons’ fault that their vote was stolen? Check.

And when you become one of the morons, we’ll be blaming you the, right?

We’re all Wisconsiners today because a theft of their franchise is a threat to all of us. Walker’s done a good job of leading, but if the party elites don’t stand and fight, we’re all going to go down

AH_C on April 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM

A little defensive, eh? You just happen to be one of the most arrogant posters on here, and it’s fun to annoy you. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean someone’s not out to get you. And in your case, just because you’re progressive doesn’t mean you’re not an idiot.

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Anyway, I’m curious as to whether April Fool will show up and face the music….

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Yep. Going to bed now, but happy to take the hit; it was worth it.

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Anyway, I’m curious as to whether April Fool will show up and face the music….

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I think the funniest thing about this, aside from the obvious fact that April Fool stupidly fell for a prank while attempting to call others stupid, is that it’s clear he didn’t bother to attempt to read the article or his own link. If he’d done that, he’d have noticed that the SSRN page doesn’t even include the paper.

Oh good lord. What an idiot.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Ah, okay. Yeah, it seems like mostly big foreign papers picked up the story. A couple minor American papers did, but the Grey Lady and co. didn’t take the bait.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Yep. Going to bed now, but happy to take the hit; it was worth it.

Firefly_76 on April 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Seriously, thanks for that. I haven’t laughed that hard in, well…hours.

For future reference, if you see a contentious study posted on April Fool’s day and the SSRN page doesn’t even display the paper itself, it’s probably a hint that it’s all a joke.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Oh good lord. What an idiot.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Oh, and it’s also hilarious that he excitedly posted it in two places. I mean, jesus christ what a moron.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

You’re commenting on your own comment which was a reply to another comment by you. How long do you have to talk to yourself before you realize you might be the moron?

Ronnie on April 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I wonder how the unions cheated this time

Dollayo on April 7, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Wisconsin just voted themselvesinto certain bankruptcy

Bevan on April 7, 2011 at 5:43 AM

bayview on April 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I think you have a good point. Their strategy apparently
lacked vision. They should have waited until the Prosser
election, then afterwards fought the union battle.
Who ever said our politicians and, in particular, the GOP
were smart.

Amjean on April 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how, in a tight race, Democrats seem to “surge ahead” when the last few precincts report. Clearly they know how to game the system. Why don’t Republicans ever try to beat them at their own game? Why do we never see Republican districts where the number of votes for their candidate exceeds the number of registered voters? Why don’t they pull out all stops to collect and count military absentee ballots? Why they don’t file lawsuits to purge the rolls of registered voters of felons and dead people? It’s getting very damn frustrating to have my valid vote cancelled out by Liberal Democratic gamesmanship. If enough people get pissed off about this, it will make the unrest in the middle east look like a picnic in the park.

olesparkie on April 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM

bayview on April 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I think you have a good point. Their strategy apparently
lacked vision. They should have waited until the Prosser
election, then afterwards fought the union battle.
Who ever said our politicians and, in particular, the GOP
were smart.

The law “open meetings” law specifically stated that it did not supercede legislative rules, and the parlimentarian ruled that the process was legal. Why would anyone anticipate going to the Supreme Court when you’re operating within the law and your expert says so? I could see quite the opposite…..legal challenges to the law being struck down for lack of merit.

olesparkie on April 7, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Voter fraud wins in a walk.

curved space on April 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM

No, bunny. Nooooo!!!!!!

Grace_is_sufficient on April 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I want to hear from someone in Wisconsin who is “in the know” about whether the Wisconsin GOP made this race a priority. It only received national attention when Palin
endorsed Prosser last week. The Wisconsin GOP should have
spent millions on combating the liberal ads that slammed
Prosser; they should have made millions of phone calls that
told voters how important this race was; what it meant to
the future gop agenda. Heck, I would have made calls from
Illinois! And I know the Tea Party tried to help out.

I am getting the sense that our state GOP’s are worse than
our leaders in the house/senate. Can that be?!

Amjean on April 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Hey Wisconsin girl! Perhaps you can shed some insight
regarding a question I have. Do you know if Wisconsin GOP
were active in getting out the vote on Pressor’s behalf?
They seemed to be pretty silent -

Amjean on April 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

They were totally absent as far as I know. The local talk radio informed us, also local TP’s. If there was any involvement I am not aware of anyone. Sarah Palin was the only one that said much of anything other than the daily column writers at WSJ, NYT, and other online papers sensationalizing it.

The only thing that kept us from getting steam rolled was online networks of sites like HA. If we didn’t have people on the ground taking video, pictures and reporting all that was going on no one would know what it was like here. Kudo’s to all the people brave enough to post the truth. It brought out all those silent conservatives to the polls. We are not giving up. We are evenly matched with the Progressives. And we support the state too. We should have a voice in how the money is spent. This will hurt the Repubs in the state but I think after this election we realize there are more of us than we realized. We need to organize and the TP will become stronger as time goes on.

wi farmgirl on April 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Africanus on April 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I want them to do what is right. Why do we have to stoop to what the Dems do? Let’s win righteously. I still think when they get this vote into the courts they aren’t going to stop it. Do it rightly by the law. Not dirty pool.

wi farmgirl on April 7, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Oh good lord. What an idiot.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I’m curious how often you drink your own urine and rave about what a good vintage it is.

MadisonConservative on April 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM

bflat879 on April 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Right on bflat. This is where it will be the most important place to have our people going to vote. If they can retain each seat and keep Walker in his position in the recalls the hell with the rest. This is the Waterloo. Even if they recall Walker, if we keep every Repub in their seats they can’t gain much. They are working on recalling some of the Dems. Even 2 recalls of the fleebaggers would send a message that we hired you to do a job, you leave, your fired! I am so afraid this fleebagging will be repeated over and over now. We have lost our states and country if this kind of thing goes unchecked.

wi farmgirl on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I wonder how many people from Chicago voted… or dead people…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

A Wisconsin blog broke it down with regards to who voted for Prosser v. Kloppenburg and what the recall election would look like:

http://badgerblogger.com/?p=19730 and writes in summation:

The way I see it, one Republican may be in danger, but three Democrats are clearly in trouble and if the elections are held, and I believe they will be, are going to be real trouble for these Democrats, if the GOP has decent challengers.

englishqueen01 on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM

MadisonConservative on April 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for the laugh this morning. God bless you for enduring what surrounds you in Madison. Hang in there.

wi farmgirl on April 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM

MadisonConservative on April 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Be kind to her. She hasn’t had much to laugh about since November 2010. And it’s gonna get worse.

VelvetElvis on April 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Also, WI GOP could pass things like voter ID and conceal-carry as Constitutional amendments, that way any challenges would bypass the WI Supreme Court and go right to the feds…where it could end up in front of the supreme court.

If the left tried to do it at all, because Voter ID has been ruled constitutional by the SCOTUS.

Play hardball, Republicans.

englishqueen01 on April 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

States like Wisconsin and Michigan remain broke and ineffective because of bonehead moves like this. I’d like to say that I care, but I don’t. Who are the unions going to steal from after everyone else has left.

stuartm650 on April 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Wisconsin and California, two states that beclown themselves at the ballot box with alarming regularity.

Mason on April 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

http://badgerblogger.com/?p=19730 and writes in summation:

englishqueen01 on April 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I believe your right. We drove to 5 election polls to find where we could sign a recall petition for our fleebagger. The person collecting the signatures said business was very good. They shared that even Dems were signing as they were ticked that the person they elected to do their job fled the state instead of staying put at our state house. This is a Dem in a pretty blue area.

wi farmgirl on April 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Mason on April 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Close vote in a state which allows instant voter registrations. Where the loser won the primary hands down.

olesparkie on April 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I give the GOP credit for winning Florida, although it appears to me the Left knew they would lose Florida, so planned in advance to bring in the chad shakers to try to shake the votes right into a pliable court case. (They were shocked, shocked to discover one of their own most loyal members designed a ballot which could lead to challenges)

Wisconsin is similar, based on pre election data, so they will push the close vote by the grateful dead, into the amiable Wisconsin system of justice, which takes the vote out of the voters’ hands and into the hands of the pol.

The court case will exceed the timeframe for action.

Nonetheless, I am upbeat. They don’t gain in this, simply because the economy is sinking, and obama is telling the public to get another car if they dont like gas prices.

Worst case scenario, Wisconsin goes bankrupt and the protesters get pink slips instead of pay cuts.

I fell sorry for the innocent, people tied to jobs or homes, who will suffer greatly in these power wars

I don’t see how Obama can bail any state, with Congress out of his control. It might be better for the leftist states to simply sink into bankruptcy, and suffer the pain of places like Detroit, which perished due to the same stupidity decades earlier.

The downside would be the folk with big bank balances moving into conservative states bringing their well funded ballot box corruption with them

entagor on April 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM

UPDATE !!!

Re-check of numbers now has Prosser in the lead by over 200!

pablo5108 on April 7, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Counties are rechecking numbers, expect changes. Not sure it is possible to make any assumptions since one would think changes would mirror results, but since race is so close it could go from +204 JoKlo to +204 Prosser easily enough.

jimdemint2012 on April 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Winnebago County vote-count change alters Supreme Court race

The new numbers would give Prosser 244 more votes, or a 40-vote lead statewide.

scrubjay on April 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I want to see that leetle beetch,crr6, head explode.

Blake on April 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

So to recap the week so far:

1) Glen Beck gets shoved off FNC, after advertisers abandon him due to a MM-led boycott.
2) A Koch-funded study formed to challenge the consensus on global warming ends up…supporting the consensus, and
3) Kloppenburg wins the WI election.

…and it’s only Wednesday.

crr6 on April 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

1)Beck still on Fox..and getting own Channel.
2)Global warming still fake…it’s very cold everywhere.
3)Republican Judge wins….:lol

Palin hopefully wins in 2012….:)

dec5 on April 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM