Breaking: Glenn Beck leaving Fox? Update: Seems confirmed

posted at 1:02 pm on April 6, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Picked up the latest hit off the rumor mill from James Joyner, along with about two hundred people on Twitter all at once.

Details are sketchy right now but NPR’s David Folkenflik reports that Glenn Beck is ending his weekday show on Fox when his contract ends in December but will perform “special projects” for the network.

Of course, rumors have been flying for some time that Beck has been considering launching his own network. And if Oprah took “OWN” for a name, I suppose Glenn could go with GBN. Who will replace Beck at Fox? I’ve already submitted Ed Morrissey’s name, and I bet he’d do it for half the price. I also saw the name of Alex Jones floating around.

Until we see some official confirmation, treat this as still being in the grain of salt category, but it’s as good a reason as any for an open thread. So… what are the inevitable one liners which will come from this announcement if it happens?

• It’s a tragedy. Now Jon Stewart will only have enough material for one show a week.
  • Oliver Willis is crying quietly somewhere, wondering what to do with his afternoons.
  • Chalk board sales plummet. More layoffs expected.

UPDATE: The OTB post has been updated with a link from the Gray Lady saying the story has been confirmed by Fox and Beck’s people.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Where did everyone go?? As usual Sherman1864 is the last one to leave the battlefield. (Aided by a significant time difference I do admit.) It is 13:20 in Tokyo. You all should be up and at `em already!

Beck does a great job and does a great service when he goes back to those good books for his information. And he does urge viewers to do their own reading. I like that about him.

But his forays into religion . . . . I must admit I am ambiguous about that . . . . And this appears to be a common sticking point in these here comments.

Still, he has done yoeman`s work and I doubt anyone can deny that.

Sherman1864 on April 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Shame on all of you bashing Glenn in this thread. He’s not a perfect man (who is?) but he is most certainly an honorable man who has done his very best to educate Americans on what is coming to this country and the very difficult choices and times we are about to face– and the kind of spiritual resolve and moral conviction it is going to take to steel us against the inevitable bombardment of consequences made through forces both outside our control and those entirely within our grasp. Like Glenn said, it’s fantastic how many have listened and understand but it is equally disheartening how many ridicule the message and the messenger, despite the deluge of facts right before our collective eyes.

Beck has done his best to get Americans informed about history regarding the dangerous progressive era of American politics and its influences on where we find ourselves today. He has done his best to get Americans back to the Constitution and to reading the words and stories of our founding fathers and how far we have strayed from where they settled this nation, both as a republic and as a spiritual and moral cornerstone in the world. Only God can save us from the grave we have dug for ourselves and only turning back to Him can grant us a firm reliance on the Constitution which even John Adams said was completely unfit for an immoral and irreligious people.

Good on Glenn for all he’s done and will continue to do to serve and enlighten those who will listen in this country. To those who will not listen and only seek to vilify or delegitimize Glenn, I urge you to keep searching, keep on seeking, and I pray your eyes open to the truth soon.

I’ve been a fan of Glenn’s broadcasts since 2004 and look forward to watching/reading/listening to him in whatever media format he chooses to communicate.

Jockolantern on April 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM

John Stossel would be a great replacement for Beck.

NORUK on April 7, 2011 at 4:00 AM

I got tired of Beck’s preaching and his Mormon doctrine and now he’s drifted into New Age. Couldnt take it anymore. And his radio show isnt worth listening to anymore either.

abcurtis on April 7, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Let’s face it, 5:00 PM on Fox goes back to being irrelevant.

Axeman on April 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

abcurtis on April 7, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Another great thing about America is that there is something for everyone. I drive the long way just so I can listen to his radio show. I think Glenn, Pat, and Stu are hilarious! And I like his tv show. It scares me, but I appreciate what he does.

redwhiteblue on April 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Sherman1864 on April 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Sometimes Beck has good GUESTS on his show, to talk about their books or work. But I fast-forward when I only see his face on the screen, or any of his stable of “experts at large.” And lately, that’s been about 90% of the time.

Very early on, Michelle Malkin criticized Beck for not having enough conservative guests. She pointed out that there are lots of people out in the trenches who have incredible stories to tell – who can’t get on any other talk show in America. And Glen Beck (with all due respect) CANNOT get by forever on just his looks.

But I think Beck’s addictive personality just sorta ended up with him hooked on his own fame. I’m sure there are some people out there who don’t care about anything but Beck. And I think he doesn’t care about anything but them.

logis on April 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Jockolantern on April 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM

1,000 %.

logis on April 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM

And his family and his God, and his country!

Bambi on April 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

You can’t listen to or watch Glenn and form an opinion like that. The man could not care less about fame– which is, I think, a key factor in the very success he has received. His love for God and country come first and his thirst to educate himself and see the rest of us educate ourselves is one of his top priorities. He talks all the time about how he will always be out there trying to reach and educate people, even if he has no media voice whatsoever.

Jockolantern on April 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM

The Beck hatred from the right is simply ridiculous. Find anybody you agree with 100%. They don’t exist. I think he’s wrong to completely dismiss the Eligibility issue (not a birther myself, but the question does need to be answered). But his connect-the-dots work on Soros/Tides and Obama’s cronies is unparalleled in media.

Aside from that, he never expects anyone to take him at his word without question. He regularly reminds folks to find out for themselves. And when he has made an error, he opens with a retraction/correction immediately. I don’t see how anyone can fault that.

As for his religious references, they are closer to the mark than many of you realize. Just because AP is an atheist doesn’t force anyone else here to become one.

Freelancer on April 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I haven’t read all the comments..so I hope no one else has suggested this…

I wonder what the chances are that he is leaving..to run for office? announce it on his last show, whenever that might be?

president maybe? or VP under Palin?

I like glenn, but he always said he was “looking for the next george washington”. in the last few months he has stopped saying that…which means he’s found his washington (most likely Palin) or he is thinking of being that washington.

warhorse_03826 on April 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM

and as far as a replacement for Glenn..

I nominate Mike Vanderboegh from the sipsey street irregulars..

not that he’d take the job, but it sure would be an interesting show..

I can picture it now..a cross between a talk show and an Appleseed Shoot.

warhorse_03826 on April 8, 2011 at 1:36 AM