Paul Ryan’s promise: We will cut spending

posted at 8:48 am on April 5, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Paul Ryan may be Barack Obama’s worst nightmare. On the day after Obama launched his re-election bid with a soft, ambiguous, and oddly passive ad imploring people to come to his rescue, Ryan and his team have released a sharp, focused three-minute video on his plan to rescue America from its looming debt and entitlement crises. Obama and his fellow Democrats have chosen not to lead for short-term political gain. Ryan fills the leadership vacuum in three minutes, explaining the nature of the crisis in easily-understood terms, and the solution to it — cutting spending. If we don’t do that now, the federal government will have to take nearly 50% of the American economy in 40 years to meet its obligations:

Graphs and charts are good, but usually a little dry. Ryan makes them come alive in this video, as much as possible at least, and tells a story to which most people can relate. The presentation would have included a look at economic growth for the next 40 years, but the computer models kept choking on the conditions caused by out-of-control spending and entitlements, and couldn’t project past 2037.

“We will cut spending,” Ryan promises, to save those programs that people value. Regarding those who keep offering Chip Diller “All Is Well!” reassurances, Ryan says, “Washington has not been telling you the truth.” Some suggested that Ryan needed to sideline this fight if Obama didn’t agree to lead on it, and that Ryan should not act to tell the truth. That’s not what leaders do — and by taking on this fight, Ryan has made the difference between himself and the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue clear.

Update: Geoff at Ace’s place says that Ryan’s plan is necessary — but not sufficient:

So here’s the bottom line. If you believe that the GDP will start growing at a healthy rate and continue at that rate forever, and if you manage to reform Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, and if you reform the budget process, and if you reform the tax code, and if you accomplish all these reforms in FY12, then you might be able to pay off this year’s spending within 11 to 12 years. Or maybe the decade after.

This is what the President and his crackerjack economic team have wrought. A one-year deficit that is so large that it can only be paid back if everything goes exactly right. And if everything goes exactly right, we’re still looking at decades before we can get back to the debt level we had only 6 months ago.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Lourdes on April 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Agree with you 100%, was just giving an example to illustrate how social issues and economic ones are related.

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yes, and O.K., was also just expanding on that.

Lourdes on April 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Did it take courage to privatize the state’s toll roads? Leadership? Innovation?

I would say all of the above.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Wow. Just wow.

Is that your best shot?

fossten on April 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I would say all of the above.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

And I would say all of the above have little to do with one’s suitability for the presidency, but that’s just my opinion. Your mileage may vary, of course.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I meant the toll roads. Not leadership, courage, or innovation. The toll roads issue alone does not make Mitch Daniels presidential, nor do I even believe it really shows that much in the way of courage or innovation. Still just my opinion.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM

That’s a good start.

Taxing of AIG bonuses, auto bailouts, and his curious decision to vote ‘present’ in his homestate’s union battles.

Notorious GOP on April 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I’m not sure I follow you on the voting present in his homestate’s battle. Did he offer a “no comment” or “that’s up to Gov. Walker?”

I think your points about TARP and AIG and the auto bailouts are on point and I would like to know his retrospective comments 0n those things.

However, his Roadmap is what I like and his ability to make up for some bad votes is enhanced with this.

Vince on April 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM

There are Toll Roads all over America. That’s not innovation.

kingsjester on April 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

That video sure feels like it should be a presidential advertisement, doesn’t it?

cpaulus on April 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM

You have anything else at all from her where she’s come down on the wrong side of a policy issue?

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Hmmm…I’ll post and then depart because I’m not keen on hours more of this perpetual debating about SP, but, here you go, two things right off the bat:

– Obama’s dubious birth and/or identity circumstances (and his character as to who he says he is); and,

– agreeing to speak at the “Tea Party Nation” “convention”.

Didn’t care for either. Then there was the awkwardly self-centered statement after Giffords’ tragedy, handled badly by SP as also her followup to same, AND, the badly done TV-series.

It’s also a sad statement when so many of her fans are quite so nasty to the general public who isn’t amidst the fandom.

What I’d like is to manage a GOP win for the Executive Branch in 2012. So I’m more keen on avoiding any idol-worship or starry celebrity addiction to any one individual after seeing how heavy-handed and negative many in the McCain campaign were with the general Right last election. I see a lot of that resurfaced now affixed with the SP crowd and it’s off-putting to some of us who aren’t so celebrity-factor influenced.

Not sticking around to read the negative remarks that will surely follow…

Lourdes on April 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

There are Toll Roads all over America. That’s not innovation.

kingsjester on April 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

And more and more of them are going private — even instates like New York and New Jersey that tend more towards government control of most institutions. “Leadership” my white Irish ass.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

think you’d be surprised. I wouldn’t put it past the media to lie about anyone or anything in their quest to establish the Democratic party as a perpetual power. When it comes to “Chenyization” of any of our candidates, it’s not the candidates that are the problem — it’s the evil MSM.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

No, I wouldn’t be surprised about the MSM Cheneyizing Ryan. I’d expect it and be surprised if the DIDN’T do that. What I may be setting myself up for a surprise is, is if the main stream Americans bought into the Cheneyization of Ryan. I know the knuckle dragging drooler Liberals out there would LEAP onto the narrative, but joe sixpack would look at Ryan and go WTF??” and I don’t mean winning the future.

But, I do acknowledge your point though.

44Magnum on April 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I’d prefer a Ryan/Palin ticket to a Palin/Ryan ticket. Just sayin’. But Palin probably isn’t running. She’s not going to run against Bachmann, is she?

hawksruleva on April 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM

By the way. Anybody get the feeling that we have a weak GOP field because people keep writing stories about how weak the candidates are?

Maybe if we stopped analyzing liberal critiques of our guys, we’d feel a bit better about our guys.

hawksruleva on April 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Is anyone just the least bit concerned that The Won wants to annex more land for the federal government?

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Not sticking around to read the negative remarks that will surely follow…

Lourdes on April 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Then I’ll jot down a few non-nasty remarks.

Speaking as a Palin supporter, I wasn’t a real big fan of her decision to address the Tea Party Nation convention, but I thought the substance of her remarks was spot-on. Pretty minor as faux pas go, if I could even really characterize it that way. Just not a deal breaker to me.

As for the birtherism issue…

She hasn’t said much about it one way or another. If I had to guess, I’d say she feels the same way I do: that there’s plenty concerning Obama’s record to run on without clouding the issue. Hard for me to say since Palin hasn’t said much on the matter, but if this sums it up, she’s in good company that includes Rich Galen and Michelle Malkin, among other noted conservative candidates.

I genuinely try to be nice, but sometimes it feels like I end up having to defend myself for supporting Palin. If Huck’s supporters can ignore the blood he has on his hands, and if Romney supporters can spin his socialized medicine advocacy, why should I accept the premise that I’m stupid for backing a candidate who gave a speech to the Tea Party Nation?

In closing, I’d like to say that I don’t put a lot of stock in polls and I don’t keep my finger on the pulse of American opinion. That will all change. I just want to ensure that I have an America to live in after 2012, which is why I am not a member of the “anyone but Obama” crowd, and I give my vote in the primaries accordingly.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

hawksruleva on April 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM

We have a tremendously weak field. It’s scary as heck!

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

…Palin probably isn’t running. She’s not going to run against Bachmann, is she?

hawksruleva on April 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I dunno. Has she said so yet? Until she announces one way or the other, I’m keeping an open mind on the matter.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Good for him.
Palin/Ryan . . . . and if she doesn’t run (I think she will)
Ryan/West

james23 on April 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

…among other noted conservative candidates pundits.

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

FIFM

gryphon202 on April 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

– agreeing to speak at the “Tea Party Nation” “convention”.

- statement after Giffords’ tragedy, handled badly by SP as also her followup to same,

- the badly done TV-series.

Lourdes on April 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Wow. Something tells me that you and I have different thoughts on what the policy issues are…?

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM

We have a tremendously weak field. It’s scary as heck!

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Look at the circumstances. Obama is probably one term, and the Republican that is going to replace him is probably one term. The 2012 election isn’t the big one. It’s the 2014 and 2016 that is going to go bat$hit crazy. You think Trump is strange, well you ain’t seen nothing yet.

DFCtomm on April 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Yep. The only reason would be to lock up oil and mineral rights and their green initiatives. One third of our land is already owned by the government!

Vince on April 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Vince on April 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

States should fight back.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM

DFCtomm on April 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Right now, I don’t see many who can’t beat PBHO. That’s what has me scared. We’re more likely than not of having 4 more years of him.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Oh, brother!

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM

From his pic, looks like we can have a new resident in the White House before this guy starves.

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM

As I said the other day Cindy, it’s my opinion that this is the direct result of the worthless Federal Reserve bonds being created by our government printing presses. The U.S. dollar is getting so devaluated, even our government is attempting to protect their assets by purchasing real property. China is also, (not so secretly), purchasing real assets around the world, including commodities, using our own debt that they’ve purchased from us—over $900 billion—because they know the dollar will soon be worthless.

I’m going to attempt to explain this further in a Greenroom post later this week.

Rovin on April 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM

????

Vince on April 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Rovin on April 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I hadn’t even considered that. It makes sense. Just great.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Now that’s more like it. This is the kind of simple, clear, graphically vivid message GOP Congress needs to be putting out. And on a regular basis. They need to still the fears of seniors. They need to keep pounding away with this. They need to make it clear that liberals (and worse) in both parties did this. It’s not a time for finger pointing. It’s time to roll up our sleeves and go to work.

MainelyRight on April 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM

LOL! The neck alone will hold him for a while.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Rovin on April 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

It actually isn’t nearly as bad as it could be. That is because of the sovereign debt crises that are still hurting so much of the rest of the world’s currency. It’s a race to the bottom and as bad as we are, Europe is even worse which is keeping our dollar as a somewhat safe(r) harbor.

That said, I do think that our Fed is deliberately working with the treasury to devalue our currency so that our debt will be devalued (monetized) as a consequence. It is a tremendously dangerous game that they’re playing.

MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM

DFCtomm on April 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM
MJBrutus on April 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM

You are granting qualities yo one who has none

Sonosam on April 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

On the topic: This is a superb video with the kind of simple but effective communication that needs be done more often.

Kudos to Rep. Ryan for his leadership on this issue! Now the party needs to unite behind him and push this through.

MikeknaJ on April 5, 2011 at 1:03 PM

The grownups have entered the house.

Annd their ecord proves them to be liars and con men.

paulsur on April 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

..you need to go back on your meds.

The War Planner on April 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM

If a candidate would commit to working with Ryan, I would definately consider him/her as a front runner in my book.

Vince on April 5, 2011 at 11:44 AM

How bout dem apples:

Palin praises Ryan’s budget

miConsevative on April 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Let us pray. Arguably he is not doing enough. But it’s our best shot.

{o.o}

herself on April 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Ryan says, “Washington has not been telling you the truth.”

Always the nice guy. How about “They lie to you”?

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

That was pretty good! (Still not enough, but better!)

One thing he left out – Washington types still score consequences of spending and tax changes STATICALLY.

How ’bout adding that if growth increases more than predicted, and that growth provides more tax revenue, the course of spending will not change, and the extra revenue will be refunded to those who paid it, or it will go directly to accelerated debt reduction.

Oh, who am I kidding? That’s just crazy talk.

Pablo Snooze on April 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Loved the video.

One quibble: less jobs?

Dude.

Fewer jobs. C’mon.

TexasDan on April 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM

There is something missing from his presentation – which may be a killer.

He doesn’t go into the “pain” of making these cuts – and I think he should have.

I used to teach ethics in the Navy and one of the things I found out about Sailors – is that they, for the most part … had been taught that as long as they were honest and approached every situation ethically – and made good sound ethical decisions – then everything would be okay.

But that’s not real life. In fact, sometimes people do everything right and pay a horrific price anyway. An example might be Martin Luther King – or William Wallace as he’s portrayed in the movie “Braveheart”. What if YOU saw a mobster killing an innocent kid – and his crime family told you that you and your whole family were dead if you testified?

Let’s face it – sometimes the act of doing the right thing pisses people off to the point that they come and get you.

So what was happening – is that Sailors would make ethical decisions up to the point where making one would cost them – then they would balk, or worse – make an unethical decision. They did this because their training hadn’t programmed them for anything but success as long as they stayed on the yellow brick road. When the ran into a situation where pain came into play as a reward for doing good – they couldn’t process it quick enough to avoid making bad decisions.

Sooo … the pain here needs to be described to the American people – and the only thing Ryan describes is … “No one who’s retired now will feel pain”.

This leaves the other half of the arguement open to Liberals – to describe the pain. And … you can bet they will DEFINE that pain since Ryan hasn’t.

HondaV65 on April 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM

HondaV65 on April 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I agree with what you. I’m guessing that Ryan is thinking more like the Navy vs. the enemy rather than Navy vs. public accountability, and he doesn’t want to give the enemy a static target until it’s necessary.

elfman on April 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Excellent – I like this man, he tells the truth.

Done That on April 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Maybe now we can start drilling for our own oil…?

Seven Percent Solution on April 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM

All very well and good, but there are so many more govt. programs and dept that need cutting: Dept. of Education for a start and the EPA. Why just Medicare, Medicaid, and SS?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Marcus on April 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Are you a glutton for punishment? No one deserves having to watch Mika.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Well it is impossible to balance the budget without cutting entitlements. One step at a time.

clement on April 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM