Quotes of the day

posted at 10:49 pm on April 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Both Trump and Palin also seem captivated by the idea of being president. They obviously like the idea of running for president, and spend a great deal of time talking about what they would do if they were president. They are about action, displaying power, and explaining how power should be used. Trump’s solution to Somali pirates: ‘Give me one good admiral and a few ships and I will wipe them out so fast.’ Palin on $4 gas: ‘Drill, baby, drill.’ In the words of Royal Tenenbaum, they are all about ‘taking it out and chopping it up.’

“The framers were troubled — some might say preoccupied — with the potential dangers of ambition, factions, and concentrated power. They were concerned to a point about ideology, predominantly the question of how much power to vest within the newly constituted federal government in relation to that of the states. But they worried even more about the intentions and motives of their adversaries…

“For the record, I do not view Palin or Trump as a threat to the republic. But like the framers, I have always felt ill at ease with officeholders or candidates who are too enamored with the idea of holding a particular office.”

***
“As they busy themselves avoiding the mistakes of 2008, Republicans might want to think back to an earlier race. As the 1992 presidential campaign got under way, incumbent George H.W. Bush had a sky-high approval rating. Big-name Democrats hesitated, and then shied away from entering the race. Bill Clinton, then the little-known governor of Arkansas, dared challenge Bush and won the prize. Obama today is far weaker than Bush was in ’91. Sooner or later a Republican will decide that you can’t win if you don’t get in.”

***
“Trump said in an interview Monday that he could pour a hefty amount of cash into a Republican campaign for the White House.

“‘I have a lot and I would spend a lot if I needed to do that,’ he said.”

***
“After a good week or two of snickering speculation over Donald Trump’s semi-presidential media blitz, Bernie Goldberg dropped quite the bombshell on tonight’s O’Reilly Factor: according to reliable sources, Trump has made up his mind and, yes, he is gunning for the GOP nomination. With that out of the way, Goldberg and Bill O’Reilly moved onto the second order of business: will the media ever take him seriously?”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

good morning my HA friends!

cmsinaz on April 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Gohawgs on April 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM

i actually agree with newt, dear leader has screwed public financing of elections…he cries foul about citizens united but he is the first in line with his hand out….

cmsinaz on April 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Sununu beclowns himself with that article. The clincher is not what is presented up top, but this little tidbit that opens up into the mind of Mr. Sununu:

In the event that this vanguard of protections proves insufficient, today we have something the framers did not: cable TV.

There were the equivalents of rock stars back in the day: preachers and musicians come to mind.

More importantly this is a 1st Amendment Right that the Founders kept out of the hands of government and trusted the people to figure out for themselves. Any government that is put in peril from communications is not going to stand long, if at all. Communications and media are no more a threat to a republic of free people than is ‘too much’ swiss cheese. It is better to have more people communicating to each other than fewer, and if the old media built up stardom, the internet is tearing that down and recasting it to something even less high, less attractive and more appropriate to the people. Remember Oprah went on to form her own tv channel… and has problems beating out unknown segment channels from other media groups. Gore and Olbermann are doing the same, yet their ‘star power’ was fleeting and diminishes over time.

It is the nature of power to attract demagogues just as it is the nature of the outhouse to attract flies. The answer is not to go to the man who says little, does little and cannot clearly state what he thinks about power, but to have a clear and robust debate amongst those seeking power so that the people can see them with their varnish removed by their opponents. That never happened with Barack Obama as he was coddled and protected from real and robust debate by moderators and a media uninterested in his background. Palin and Trump both face the crucible of the quest for power…the worry should not be with them, but with the one who does have factions behind him, hides his background, and has not had the scrutiny that a free media should utilize on ALL coming to the campaign trail. That is not the ‘use’ of stardom, but the abuse of the privilege of the public airwaves by those who have been entrusted with it by government.

Yet their day draws to an end. The old media and old stars now start to fade, and the new stars aren’t of a breed of the old Hollywood star system, nor of the elite broadcast media system, but one that digs down to find the important things locally and then shares those items with others interested in free communications for all. Better that than the cloistered, back room political machines that used to run the R and D party… that didn’t listen to the people and they decided the course for the Nation by their crony systems. Their day is now, finally, coming to an end… Mr. Sununu doesn’t seem to get the picture, and all it takes is one sentence to tell you that he stands in the past, not the present, and looks through rose-colored glasses at days gone by that are really just bygone. Those days are gone, and Mr. Sununu worries over much about the new era where people actually do exercise their 1st Amendment rights to communicate freely with each other. If he doesn’t like the results, he might try Iran or NoKo or Cuba for a land that has State mandated ‘stars’, instead, so that he would be in his comfort zone.

ajacksonian on April 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Anyone who describes Palin as a media star is grasping for reasons to reject her. Palin is loathed by the media. They did not make her. She is a grassroots star. And the grassroots love her because she is one of us and the strongest voice against the idiotic policies of the true media star, the media-created Obama.

Basilsbest on April 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM

The fact that people are even considering Trump is troubling. It shows that people are not taking things seriously which explains how we got into this mess in the first place.

America will not survive 8 years of Barack Obama.

NickDeringer on April 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM

The arrogance of the commenters here would give the NYT lunatics a run for their money.

I’m not voting or even leaning Trump’s way but the condescension of you phony conservatives picking up the MSM smear on his candidacy is totally pathetic. Let the son of a bitch run. If he loses show some class. If he wins STFU.

Hey Nick, I know a couple folks that are high on Trump. They aren’t who you fools expect. They are degreed professionals, phd in one case, and both were Giuliani supporters last time around. They’re looking for someone who will kick some ass for a change. Trump is a much more straight up, capable businessman than Mitt Romney the hedge fund insider will ever be. I thought you phony capitalists liked business, huh? Go ahead pile on the latest media definition of a stupid Republican if you wish. The media plays you like a fiddle.

Lastly, what the hell is Ted C talking about “if” Ayers wrote the damn book. He’s said so two or three times. Sure he pretends it’s sarcasm when asked by TV News. I used to be one of his kind. He’s telling the truth and then laughing in your face. He’s playing you for the gullible, uncommitted souls you are. He’s your superior because he’s focused on a goal, America’s deconstruction.

rcl on April 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM

ajacksonian on April 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Well said as usual. Kind of reminds me of Cromwell vs. Royalty. Royalty finally came back to power there, but not without the people having had their say and not without changes. Freedom is more firmly rooted here.

txmomof6 on April 5, 2011 at 7:54 AM

rcl on April 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Yessir, that, right there!

roy_batty on April 5, 2011 at 8:08 AM

rcl on April 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM

There is such a thing as too much fiber in your diet.

Bishop on April 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Trump:
Demand to see Obama’s college transcripts…

mjbrooks3 on April 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I agree but what if she either doesn’t run (remote possibility), or the GOP is successful in blocking her candidacy?

sharrukin on April 5, 2011 at 1:07 AM

then I think Obama wins 4 more years, the GOP loses Congress and we except our marxist masters…

unseen on April 5, 2011 at 8:48 AM

MB on local radio station her now

unseen on April 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM

America will not survive 8 years of Barack Obama.

NickDeringer on April 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM

No it shows that the American people have no confidence in the GOP establishment. Bush destroyed the GOP party in America. The only ones within the GOP that still gain the AMerican people’s confidence are Reaganites.

Since the majority of people talking about running are Bush retreads people are looking elsewhere.

unseen on April 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

There’s a whole lotta women out there who have been to job interviews like Palin’s ‘job interview’ with Gibson. You have to sit there and pretend that the questioner actually has a brain when you know that you’re a much more qualified, organized, efficient, mature, intelligent, experienced and harder worker than he is. This time around there will be no pretending from SP.

Kissmygrits on April 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

ajacksonian on April 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM

great post!

unseen on April 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I’ll take Trump any day over Obama.

tinkerthinker on April 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM

How can you be a fiscal conservative and even consider Trump? He declared bankruptcy so many times. Even had daddy purchased chips at the casino when he needed a cash infusion so daddy would be paid off before the bondholders. This person has integrity? Trump couldn’t turn a profit if his life depended on it. Anything the Donald has he got from daddy. He is a despicable human being. Trump went on television to do the Apprentice because he was B.R.O.K.E, duh! Just admit that you are enjoying him bashing Dumb-Ø with the birth certificate.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump is scoring some points for his agent Ari Emanuel who needs to bloody up Dumb-Ø and even the score for the beating Valerie Jarret was allowed to give to brother Rahmb-Ø. An eye for an eye, ya know what I mean?

Jayrae on April 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM

rcl on April 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I totally agree. I am one of those that are giving Trump a look. I like his pro-America, kickass and take names style. I am tired of namby pamby, politically correct sissy-men. I like that he is starting dialogues about China, Nafta, etc. and it’s icing on the cake for a birther like me that he is challenging Obama on his phony narrative.

Trump has as much right as any other person to throw his hat in the ring. I prefer to hear what people have to say before I make judgements. Yes, he is a showman, and perhaps a bit tacky in that regard, but if he gets done what I want done, I can live with that.

mrsmwp on April 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM

NPR this morning mentioning a local story from Madison, Wisconsin! Death threats against Republican lawmakers? Nah – only “local interest” there, you see.

The big “National” Public Radio story: seems some big R-donor’s son got an $81K Wisconsin state government job. Has no college degree and two DUIs, and from the smirk in the announcer’s voice, I’d say it’s a safe bet he has not stopped beating his wife.

Stay classy, NPR. And don’t forget, check that Blackberry the DNC gave you frequently. It’s a lot cheaper than real reporters!

drunyan8315 on April 5, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Me too. I was very troubled when I read that story about little Sarah telling her mommy back in the 1960′s that she was going to be the first black President of the United States . . . oh, wait . . . .

I was also worried when I read that story about how, as a grade schooler, little Sarah asked her friends in Indonesia what they wanted to be when they grew up. One said a soldier, one said a businessman. But little Sarah said she wanted to be president, because then she could make the soldier guard her and order the businessman to build her a building. Oh, wait . . . .

Or how about that picture of what little Sarah wrote in the sand as a kid in Hawaii, the one that showed her true ambitions (it said “King Obama”); oh, wait . . . .

AZCoyote on April 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I’m a Marine who’s fought for this country, I have a BA and a JD from top 10 schools, I’ve got 2 kids, 3 businesses, 4 gas guzzling cars, and a big ass house I built with my own 2 hands. I’ll vote for Trump if he runs.

Alden Pyle on April 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

mrsmwp on April 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Ditto here!

silvernana on April 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Right. Because none of the Founders were ambitious.

dczombie on April 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Kissmygrits on April 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

+100 No prisoners!

shmendrick on April 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Allah said:
“In short, they are exactly the type of political figure our country’s founders were worried about.”

Allah, you are full of it! Our founders were fearful of a kinglike leader and a monarchy. Which is why they worked tirelessly to give us this great Republic, which the current administration and previous Congress are trying to destroy.

If it takes a Trump to bring us back from the brink, then so be it! We need a bold and brash leader for a “change.”
No wimps allowed!

tomshup on April 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Get used to this kind of equine excreta: Ego-Maniac-in-Chief Tells Supporters: I’m the Most Successful President in Last 50 Years…

slickwillie2001 on April 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Right, and a guy who had never held a real job in his life and just liked to give speeches and be adored was PERFECT for the job.

rockmom on April 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

It would be nice to have a President who could buy and sell the world leader across the table from him. Can you imagine Hugo Chavez trying to stare down Trump?

the_souse on April 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM

As in a president Obowma who creates 32 positions for un-elected and unqualified czars or disobeys a judicial ruling halting Obowmacare and continues to fund the program?

dthorny on April 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM