More Lindsey Graham on Koran-burning: “I wish we could hold people accountable for their actions, but under free speech, you can’t”

posted at 6:04 pm on April 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

My first draft of the headline was “Good news: Lindsey Graham doesn’t want to ban Koran-burning after all,” but that’s not quite true. He recognizes that you can’t ban it constitutionally and that a constitutional amendment to ban it wouldn’t pass, but wanting to ban it?

That’s a bit more nuanced.

NRO: Some of my National Review colleagues are being pretty rough on you today. What is your response to some of the outrage on the right about your comments regarding free speech?

GRAHAM: General Petraeus sent a statement out to all news organizations yesterday, urging our government to ban Koran burning. Free speech probably allows that, but I don’t like that. I don’t like burning the flag under the idea of free speech. That bothers me; I have been one of the chief sponsors of legislation against burning the flag. I don’t like the idea that these people picket funerals of slain servicemen. If I had my way, that wouldn’t be free speech. So there are a lot of things under the guise of free speech that I think are harmful and hateful…

NRO: But don’t you fear that if we let Islamic extremists determine the speech debate in the United States, then we’ve lost something?

GRAHAM: No. Here’s what I fear: I fear that politicians don’t have any problem pushing against laws in the Middle East that are outrageous. It’s perfectly acceptable for me to push back against prosecutions by Islamic countries against people of my faith. And it is perfectly appropriate for me to condemn Koran burning when the general who is in charge of our troops believes that such action would help. I’m not letting Islamists determine what free speech in America is, but I am, as a political leader, trying to respond to the needs of our commander. You’ve got to remember, General Petraeus decided that this was important enough to get on the record as being inappropriate. And I want to be on the record with General Petraeus.

NRO: Instead of being an advocate for Petraeus, should you not first and foremost be an advocate for the First Amendment?

GRAHAM: You know what? Let me tell you, the First Amendment means nothing without people like General Petraeus…

NRO: What I don’t understand is, if would you support an amendment to ban flag burning, why do you not support one to ban Koran burning?

GRAHAM: In my view, the flag represents who we are as a nation. It is a symbol of who we are. If you start talking about individual acts of religious intolerance, the amendment doesn’t make any sense. It does make sense, to me, to focus on the symbol of the country, the flag. I’m not proposing that we propose a ban on religious disagreement. I am saying that you can disagree with America; you can disagree with me, but don’t burn the one symbol that holds us together. That’s not an act of speech. They say that is symbolic speech, but I think that is a destructive act. It’s the one thing that unites us.

Yet when it comes to regulating what individual churches may do, or what individual citizens may do under the guise under religion, you are not going to be able to write a constitutional amendment to ban those practices. There is no way to do that. I wish we could hold people accountable for their actions, but under free speech, you can’t.

Read the whole interview. The excerpts don’t capture the full flavor, especially the effusiveness with which he defers to Petraeus when pressed to defend a constitutional right here at home. (Incidentally, did Petraeus call for a “ban” on Koran-burning? His statement yesterday condemned the practice but I haven’t seen anything about calling for a ban.) What’s interesting, and telling, is how he oscillates between wishing we could sanction Koran-burning on its own terms (“harmful and hateful”) and wishing we could sanction it for expedient reasons, because it increases the risk to troops in the field in Iraq and Afghanistan (the “we’re at war” justification). I can sympathize with the latter even if I think it’s horribly misguided because, in his own short-sighted way, he means well. He’s trying to produce a good-ish outcome in Afghanistan, and the fewer pretexts there are for the local mullahs — and Hamid Karzai! — to drive true believers into a frenzy over blasphemy, the better. That’s why Petraeus gets a pass on this from a lot of people even though Graham doesn’t: He’s narrowly focused on a military mission whereas Graham should be weighing a variety of considerations, starting with the virtues of free speech. But I don’t know where the limiting principle is in the “hateful and harmful” calculus, and I’d bet that, if pressed, he doesn’t either. Again: This guy would have been a top contender for Attorney General if McCain had been elected. Amazing.

Update: NRO has amended the part where Graham says Petraeus was calling for a ban; it now reads “urging our government to [condemn] Koran burning.” It’s not clear if that was Graham’s mistake or theirs, but either way, the record is corrected.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Goodbye RHINO. . . .

karra on April 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Translation into plain English:

I would gladly be a tyrant if it weren’t for that pesky “Constitution” thing.

gryphon202 on April 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Whatever… go back to the Air Force; you’ve done enough damage in the US Senate…

Khun Joe on April 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM

So when does SC start the recall effort?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM

If only we could hold Graham accountable for his actions.

VBMax on April 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Emperor Norton on April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I understand Patreaus’s position, he has a job to do...but we can not interfere with freedom of expression. If any legislators tried to do that, I think the Supreme Court would just rule against them anyway.

However, I do think that Phelps and Jones are both nasty little men who really don’t care who gets hurt, just so long as they get what they want.

No one comes out of this looking good, not really.

Terrye on April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Islamists would drop a wall on this guy in 2 seconds flat.

No pun intended.

RarestRX on April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

This is the reason why our side will continue to lose.

Kini on April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Miss Lindsey hasn’t responded to my e-mail from yesterday, go figure.

Of course, I doubt I was the only one the yutz got.

Tim Zank on April 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I wish CAROLINA would hold Lindsay accountable and vote his pathetic pandering a$$ out of office.

portlandon on April 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

It will be a long 3 years until SC can tell him he is fired. I hope they will do it in 2014. I hope the gov of SC will primary him in 2014.

BroncosRock on April 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I don’t like sissy little Career politicians spouting off RINO Crapola either………but you’re still talking Senator Graham.

And I have to listen to your free speech from your Senate chair until when….2014?

PappyD61 on April 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Too bad about that damn First Amendment. I know how much ya’ll can’t stand it.

rrpjr on April 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Can I change my 2012 vote away from Petraeus, or is it too late?

lorien1973 on April 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Holder?

Ms. Lindsey?

Mhh, head explodes.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I don’t think this guy is a RINO. I don’t think this guy is a Republican. I do think this guy is a complete moron who doesn’t know what he stands for most of the time. This guy is a garden variety lawyer, talks out of both sides of his mouth and wants desperately to be in the elite crowd, even while the elitist are busy laughing their as*es off at this guy behind his back. Face it, this guy has no followers left in this country on either (any) side of any debate. Everybody hears his name, rolls their eyes while moving on to another subject as not to get dirtied up at his expense.

How does one spell loser; Lindsey Graham.

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM

How does Lindsey feel about cartoons…?

d1carter on April 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Where the heck is Dave Rywall when he’s needed?

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

He’s attempting to justify the murders of those UN workers. Not “in effect” justifying it by some accident of his stupidity, but flat out intentionally justifying it.

Buddahpundit on April 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

koran burning is just a ruse for their violent insanity. Before that it was cartoons. There are over a billion psychos slithering the face of the earth that have already declared that the US is “satan”, and who earnestly believe that “infidels” and “non-believers” should be beheaded. Regardless of what that Florida minister did, no reasonable, rational CIVILIZED human being will ever be able to deal with these brainwashed cretans.

bannedbyhuffpo on April 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM

If some jerk in san francisco can burn the American flag and claim its his first amendment right, this guy can burn an object he purchased. Rude, but legal.

kurtzz3 on April 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Gotta ask you lindsey, if you think the rop type are all that, would you want your wife or daughters under those who whop heads off because of our Republic’s 1st? My home will not be under the rop type. We sorta hold to our Founders. You lindsey can hold someone accountable, it is those below humans who get a rage every minute if they want to see to it America and Israel are gone. lindsey, you are not an American, you are in bed with the rop type!
L

letget on April 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM

BTW: Since Muslims around the globe celebrated while NY burned on 9/11… Since Muslims around the globe have declared war on America more times than I’m capable of counting… If we all burn a Koran will that finally represent our acknowledgment that we are aware of their declaration of war on us and we accept?

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM

We called Lindsey’s office at 0900 and explained to them very politely that their employer was a jerk.Specifically if he was in the room I would say” Sir with all due respect you need to understand the Constitution.”
The idiot that worked for him launched into some BS about WWII and the need for restraint. I pointed out the the Nisei Soldiers fought like hell for the USA even as their parents were in the camp at Hart Mountain. I also told the kid we paid a lot of claims over FDR’s lack of respect for citizens.
No doubt his staff is ivy league and stupid.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Graham / Crist 2012…

mjbrooks3 on April 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Lindsey Graham = part of the problem.
solution = boot him into obscurity

NY Conservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Can I change my 2012 vote away from Petraeus, or is it too late?

lorien1973

I never understood why people assumed Petraeus is a conservative.

chimney sweep on April 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Can we ban Grahamnesty?

GarandFan on April 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Graham is a particularly annoying Republican. I don’t even mind “moderate Republicans” if it’s just the social stuff. But this guy is all over the map in his jackassery.

therightwinger on April 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

In Islam, any criticism of Mohammed is as forbidden and as deserving of death as burning the Koran.

So Graham/Petraeus’ proposal will have to expand to include the banning of Dante’s Divine Comedy (and Gustav Doré illustrations’s), Voltaire’s Mahomet, Christopher Marlowe’s Tamburlaine The Great and other such works.

aengus on April 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM

This is the reason why our side will continue to lose.

Kini on April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

We have no plans to lose We are in a cultural war to WIN.
Get in the fight it is really fun watching libs quiver when directly challenged.Plans are already set to primary the Mo FO and we will marginalize him in 2012/13. He will be a rino yammerer when the new Senate is seated.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I always get concerned when members of Congress start talking about limiting constitutional freedoms.

jdawg on April 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

How about holding Muslims responsible once in a while? Graham would probably like to have Jones beheaded if he thought he could get away with it.

If any in the Senate or House are at all serious about defending America and America’s Constitution, and take their own oaths of office at all seriously, the first thing they will do, after maybe passing a resolution telling Karzai we are pulling out of Charlie Foxtrot Afcrapistan ASAP (defunding the whole unholy mess), and if he stays there he, with his Koran for protection, will be totally on his own, is to pass a resolution demanding the immediate court martial of one David Petraues for repeatedly violating his oath of office to protect and defend the United States Constitution, gross dereliction of duty, giving aid and comfort to the enemy, and behavior unbecoming a military officer, not to mention grossly unbecoming a man and a human being.

Heckle on April 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Wow. Seriously, f**k you, Graham. You’re f**king fired. Get the f**k out.

This kind of cowardice is stomach-churning. Added to a very short list of people I’d spit on if I ever met them.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

What is the likelihood of Graham getting re-elected? I’m asking seriously because I don’t know what SC voters views are towards him.

ramrants on April 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Just what prove is there that the Imams told the truth on what happened at the “church” and the actions of the “preacher”, that only one book was burned. Think of the worst thing on can do to ones holy book and then times that by 1000x. Allah commands them to kill when the Koran is harmed as Allah is the Koran.

What the Imams told the subjects of Allah, That the great Stain burned thousands of Korans and that the whole US did it. And that Allah commands them to kill and truth is not a factor. If they did not have the “pastor” to blame they would or invented him or just blamed the Jews.

Even if they saw the video and most did not the Imam told them that so as it came from the infallible Imam it must be the truth.

tjexcite on April 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Again…I should think the butt-buddy of McCain should be more concerned about the threat of fundamentalist Islamic influence on American society. Could put a real crimp on his lifestyle.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Wow. Seriously, f**k you, Graham. You’re f**king fired. Get the f**k out.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I kind of have a hard time believing that’s a short list.

Anyway, I think there’s probably a little overreaction here to Graham’s comments. We’ve historically curtailed civil liberties during times of war – suspended habeas corpus in Civil War, passed Espionage Act of 1917 during WWI, and detained Japanese Americans during WWII.

I think he was saying that in times of war, those liberties are necessarily curtailed a little, and this war is no different.

I agree that he didn’t express that artfully and this war is fundamentally different from the other wars I mentioned for a few reasons, but I don’t think he’s honestly wishing to get rid of the First Amendment or anything.

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Yahweh, David Petraeus and Lindsey Graham
Would never okay the way you do your thing
Ding ding ding, ding, ding, ding
And you’ll get yours, David Petraeus and Lindsey Graham
Coddlin’ and even sidin’ with that Islam stuff like you do
Boo hoo hoo, boo hoo hoo

Where have you gone, General George S. Patton?
Our nation turns its longing eyes to you
What’s that you say, David Petraeus and Lindsey Graham?
You have banished ‘ol Blood and Guts far away
Hey hey hey, hey hey hey

Coo coo ca-choo, David Petraeus and Lindsey Graham
Mohammad appreciates you more than you will know
Woo woo woo, woo woo woo
Allah blesses you, yes, David Petraeus and Lindsey Graham
He may grant some small temporary mercy to those who humanity betray
Hey hey hey, hey hey hey

Cheshire Cat on April 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Obama said….
“To attack and kill innocent people in response is outrageous, and an affront to human decency and dignity,”

And suppressing free speech would validate murder as a response to being “offended.” What are our forces and those of our allies fighting for again in Afghanistan? The inalienable right to build roads?

Kuffar on April 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM

We already bow too much to minorities views but to get all wound up about one person in over 311 million defies belief. I think the emphasis should be on the rarity of such incidents. You would think these “leaders” are ignorant of our country.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Tim Zank on April 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I emailed both Graham and Reid.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I kind of have a hard time believing that’s a short list.

There’s a difference between impassioned disagreement and contempt.

Wait, wait, wait. You just listed off acts that punished people who, arguably, conducted activities that could be deemed to give aid and comfort to our opponents in war.

We are discussing a man who suggests acquiescing to the psychopathic machinations of our opponents in war by restricting our OWN liberties to satisfy THEIR blackmail.

Try again.

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Not at all. Indeed, it’s the centrists like Graham who tend to be the softest in protecting core freedoms. Hell, even some hardcore leftists care more about (certain) constitutional freedoms more than people like him.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Perhaps Lindsey might consider that allowing unvetted Muslims to wander this country at will may be dangerous to civilians so to avoid putting us at risk he should ban them?

If he’s prepared to limit my constitutional rights why can’t he limit the rights of Muslims?

katiejane on April 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

turd

Wade on April 4, 2011 at 6:42 PM

We have been bombing the hell out of muslims for years in Afghanistan. We have bombed civilians in their homes, wedding parties,funerals and killed tens of thousands of Taliban fighters but all of a sudden we are worried about offending them.

NeoKong on April 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Tell the biggots to shut up…!”

Seven Percent Solution on April 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

katiejane on April 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Perfectly good question katie… Been wondering that myself.

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Our constitution protects us from govt. That is why liberals are destroying it.

GardenGnome on April 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

No. Under-reactions, if anything. Stupendously foul and unforgiveable thing to hear from a US Senator.

rrpjr on April 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Out of touch.

Vince on April 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Out of curiosity, can you specify which constitutional rights ARE okay to get miffed about, when elected officials talk about eroding them?

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM

So all we have to do to get Piss Christ banned is kill a bunch of people? Message received, Sissy Graham.

rbj on April 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I guess we could just piss on the coran, then it wouldn’t burn.

Observation on April 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM

No. Under-reactions, if anything. Stupendously foul and unforgiveable thing to hear from a US Senator and a U.S. Army 4-star General.

rrpjr on April 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Heckle on April 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM

It may no longer be necessary to get 2/3 of the congress and 3/4 of the states (or whatever it is) to amend the U.S. Constitution. There may now be a shortcut for the “smart”. Rather like immigration. Don’t have to go through legal channels and wait many years, just walk across the Mexican border. If you are Muslimm just murder a bunch of random infidels and Graham and Petraeus will do the rest.

Heckle on April 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Yea, I wish there was a way to punish POS politicians like Goober here but, I think tar and feathering is against the law.

esnap on April 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM

While I am a stong supporter of our military I don’t think Petraeus should get a pass on this.
Graham, as we know, is a disaster. I will contribute to his primary opponent.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM

All of them are okay to get “miffed” about, but I happen to believe the Constitution is not a suicide pact. If limiting freedom of speech or ANY OTHER THING in the Constitution is necessary to save the country as a whole, then it’s probably worth it as long as that abrogation of liberty ends when it is no longer necessary or the war ends.

My position is the same as President Lincoln’s (cited approvingly in Justice Rehnquist’s excellent book All the Laws But One): “Are all the laws, but one, to go unexecuted, and the government itself to go to pieces, lest that one be violated?”

I don’t think the imprisonment of Japanese Americans was necessary, but I do think the suspension of habeas corpus was necessary in order to keep the country intact. It’s very easy to know all that in retrospect rather than in the middle of an existential fight.

I don’t happen to agree with Graham in this instance for a number of reasons but what he’s saying isn’t as offensive as I think people are assuming it is.

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

So hold the pastor accountable for burning the koran. And hold the muslims who respond with murder accountable for murder.

It’s legal to burn the koran. Personally, I would rather see them placed in urinals. I like the symbolism better.

deewhybee on April 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM

We should send Miss Lindsey to Mecca, Tehran and Islamabad to get a list of all the things Americans shouldn’t do.

Cicero43 on April 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM

So Senator, why are we fighting these people if we (in your opinion) should bow to them?

tgharris on April 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM

My position is the same as President Lincoln’s
Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I didn’t know Lincoln banned the burning of confederate flags during the Civil War.

Buddahpundit on April 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Graham, as we know, is a disaster. I will contribute to his primary opponent.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I have been watching Petraues for quite some time now and he is even worse, much worse, than Graham. And Petraues also blames Israel for what Muslims do. George Patton and Charles Martel would take turns spitting on him.

Heckle on April 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Buddahpundit on April 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Enjoy that straw man!

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Wait, Lintsey…

I thought Islam and/or Muslims weren’t the enemy. Now you’re claiming they are. Glad to see you have seen the light, even though that’s not what you probably meant.

Hal on April 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM

For you Lindsey

JStew on April 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Are we starting to understand finally that Republicans are just as likely to fail us again and again when it comes to rights? We’ve demonized Dems until the ends of the earth (rightly for the most part) but the Republicans seem to be as knee deep in their own filth and propaganda that they cannot be trusted to secure our rights and freedoms as the other side. It’s ironic but only after I joined the military and went to Afghanistan that my eyes are truly opening to the decay that has seeped into our leaders whatever side they come from. That power in DC seems to be absolutely corrupting to a majority of those we send to represent us and it has to stop now or we may never get a chance to salvage this nation from the mess they continue to propagate.

CTDeLude on April 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

A. When does the war on terrorism end?

B. Do you really think that if that mythical end arrives, the “Don’t Piss Off Muslims, But Any Other Religion That Doesn’t React To Criticism By Slaughtering People Is Okay Act of 2011″ will be repealed?

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM

For fun, check out what Mark Steyn writes about Graham over at NRO. It ain’t pretty….

joejm65 on April 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Pick a side already, Graham. We all know your desire to be liberal is there, so just make it official already. You want to be a big government, big spending, controlling nanny. Just don’t let the door hit ya on the way out. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

capejasmine on April 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Periodically and especially at a time like this, a mass of American leaders should stand together and loudly proudly say: We are Americans, this is who we are, we don’t shut down our principles, anytime, we take them with us wherever we go and we shout them and defend them everywhere.

You have the natural right to be offended, you don’t have the right to harm us.

Never will the intolerant parts of the world change, if our example is no more than a wind sock that blows in every direction according to the wind.

Speakup on April 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I wish we could hold Muslims accountable for the horrible things they do in the name of Allah, but you don’t seem to care much about that, Lindsey.

disa on April 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I wonder what Lindsey’s reaction would be to a piece of “art” where the bible is burned then the fire is put out by someone pissing on it.

Somehow I doubt he’d be offended.

angryed on April 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Graham believes Petraeus is more equal than other Americans.

Interesting.

I think Graham’s gone full tilt liberal on us when we weren’t paying attention.

ButterflyDragon on April 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Never trust two people:

1. A guy with a first name for a last name and a last name for a first name.

2. A guy with a chick’s name for a first name.

angryed on April 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM

A. When does the war on terrorism end?

That’s party of why I think Graham is wrong. No defined end to the conflict is a serious problem.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Enjoy that straw man!

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

That’s just it.

It will NEVER end with these islamowhackjobs.

NEVER!

BallisticBob on April 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Graham supports the Murderer’s Veto.

The logical extension of what Graham is saying is that the bloody, rampaging Islamists are no more than animals that can’t control themselves and therefore have no responsibility for their actions.

Pastor Jones is therefore responsible for setting off the animals’ bloody riots and the animals murder of women aid workers and Nepalese guards. Not the bloodthirsty animals.

I call raaaaaacist!

How much of the anger directed at Jones from the Left is actually based in how much more difficult the bloody animals’ rampages and murders of innocents have made it for them to maintain delusions of multi-cultural moral equivalency?

Sunni Islam forbids all depictions of Allah and the prophets, on the principle that it is a form of idolatry, which is forbidden. But they have elevated their holy books to the status of idol, and they demand that the rest of us do so as well. Or they will kill innocent people at random until we do.

Religion of Peace.

novaculus on April 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Enjoy that straw man!

Proud Rino on April 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I do not think that that phrase means what you think it means.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

CTDeLude on April 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Good post.. The elite political establishment includes many from the Republican party. If you haven’t already, investigate skull and bones. As a TP member and a Conservative, I’m hoping to rebuild the Republican party one election at a time. If that process fails, then a third party will emerge. In the end, I pray that good conquers evil once again, and the American people do indeed take back the reigns of government that have been systematically removed over a period of several decades. I must say that the media complex has been filled with pure rotten evil as we see with Chris Matthews and so many others. I pray that I will live long enough to see these evil people suffer the fate they so richly deserve. In the meanwhile, I work hard during the day to provide for my family, and work hard at night with thousands of others at the righteous mission of preserving America, our traditions, our values, our way of life…

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Don’t waste your time comrade…

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM

So, if I douse an American flag in gasoline and burn it I’m fine, huh?

What if I stuff that gasoline laden flag inside a Koran and burn that? Would that be peachy, or what?

If that isn’t ok, then can I make an effigy of Sen. Graham holding a Koran in one hand, an American flag in the other and douse the effigy in gasoline and burn that?

Really, we do have to find out what is ‘suitable’ to the poor dear so that he just knows that no one will be ‘offended’ into being barbaric… I mean its not like humans are independent moral actors responsible for what they do… really we are all just Barbarians who go off chopping heads at the slightest bit of SYMBOLIC speech, right? If that’s the case, how come its only the Muslims chopping heads off when they are offended? Someone isn’t getting with the program… well two someone’s… Muslims.

And the Bobbsy Twins in the Senate – Reid and Graham.

ajacksonian on April 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM

ajacksonian on April 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM

LMAO… Very well stated!

Keemo on April 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I don’t believe the Koran burning is “provoking” any peace ful Muslim into murdering innocents. Those that are choosing to murder over this incident are those that would be happy to kill a U.S. soldier anytime, anywhere, anyway…so I’m failing to see how this is putting the troops in anymore danger than they are already in. Just seems like it is bringing the barbarians out of their caves. Or am I missing something here?

lynncgb on April 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

ajacksonian on April 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Well said.

Burning a book…bad…terrible…

“Piss Jesus” and other “art forms” perfectly OK?

The blame lies strictly within that community of Moslems who are little better than animals. They’ll riot and kill, beheading their victims for all sorts of things. Rumors. Editorial cartoons. Television programs. And when they kill Christians in droves? Nothing but silence from just about all sides, lest we “offend” the “religion of peace?”

Stop blaming the rape victim for the rape.

Let”s assign blame directly where it belongs…a religion of the 9th Century controlled by Imans and clerics who relish the idea of staying in the 9th Century and refuse to join the rest of the world in the 21st Century unless it is to kill, bomb, maim, and do it over and over again because they are just soooo sensitive and sooo easily offended.

I am offended.

Can I emulate these idiots?

coldwarrior on April 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Instead of a ban, or a condemnation (aside from book burnings in general) perhaps it should have been suggested to have weekly burnings? Its unbeleivable to me that in the middle of a war we have politicians telling us to tone down the rhetoric so we dont piss off the enemy?

Koa on April 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM

This is the kind of nonsense you have to deal with when you attempt to fight a “fair” war against a foe who isn’t. We haven’t learned much from history; I doubt the Japanese cared much about posters mocking Tojo when we were carpet bombing Tokyo.

Erich66 on April 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I am not my brother’s keeper for his welfare.

Nor for his sensitivities.

Nor for his actions.

My life is my own and I take sole responsibility for it and cannot be expected to worry about how some member of a religion that condones uncivilized behavior will act if I so much as look at their religious text slant-wise.

You are not leading a life with that sort of self-censorship, but have become a slave to the fears and hatred of others. There is a difference between prudence and cowardice, and I shall walk with the good lady Prudence as she reminds me of many things but allows me great leeway in my decisions. Better to be upright and free with her, than in chains as a self-made coward unable to speak for fear that others might just be offended at you.

ajacksonian on April 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I emailed both Graham and Reid.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Call em you get the most dipstick answers from the kids that work for them,real ignorant of history.It is a cheap call and funny if it were not serious.
Col. Hackworth had these types (petraus ET AL)nailed after Nam.“Perfumed Princes”< we have more Adm rials that commissioned ships,talk about waste.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM

There’s the problem. Constitutionally you’re a political representative of the State that sent ya, not a leader!

If the Constitution was sacred to you, you wouldn’t be waffling on your druthers. It would be simple enough to say “Free speech is an inalienable right, no matter how distasteful it may be to some. I for one am disgusted with the wacko pastor, but I would never consider trying to stop him from exercising his God-given right to disgust me.”

Can’t wait for him to be put to pasture at the Fletcher Memorial Home.

AH_C on April 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM

For the best response to date, watch this woman’s rant on Graham and Moslems in general.

Watch it and make it go viral quick – and if you can cache it, do it now. This will almost certainly give youtube palpitations.

Don’t miss part 2, especially the end:

warbaby on April 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Sounds more like he is running under the democratic ticket all the time.

mechkiller_k on April 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Both Graham and Petraeus have given far more aid and comfort to the enemy than Jane Fonda ever did.

Do you miss me yet? – Jane Fonda

Heckle on April 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

warbaby on April 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Awesome!

coldwarrior on April 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Don’t miss part 2, especially the end:

warbaby on April 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Thanks. If Pastor Jones’ trial was similar to Ann’s, then more power to him and I take back calling him an idiot

AH_C on April 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM