Hot Air April primary survey: Polls are now open

posted at 7:30 pm on April 3, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

As promised last month, I’ve removed Chris Christie and Paul Ryan from the Presidential line due to their stated disinterest in running. I’ve removed Jim Demint, since he’s removed himself from running, as well. Because he has indicated an interest in running, I have added Rand Paul; if Paul supporters try to cheat as they notoriously do for his father Ron, I will remove Rand from subsequent polls.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?” Bolton will make a fine veep as well.

Kataklysmic on April 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I would rather see “Are you better off than you were 12 years ago?”

gov Palin would need to make the case that the country as gone seriously off the rails and not just under Obama but ofr decades. And how the politicans have mad eus into blue/red america to feather their own nests while destorying our country for their benefit.

I think it will be how Gov Palin tries to unite the country….

unseen on April 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

sure that way TPAw gets 2 votes for sure

unseen on April 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Heh.

I’m working as an election judge on Tuesday and I’m not voting-because I don’t think it’s right for me to choose the new local government when I’m moving.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Rand/Jindal. Johnson a second. Palin should be a special advisor for energy (she’d be too constrained as Energy Secretary). Peter Schiff for Treasury.

Firefly_76 on April 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I’m moving this week. Can I use my new Texas zipcode?

It doesn’t matter. Google has already tracked where you are and where you will be.

viking01 on April 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Firefly_76 on April 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Give me a break…..LOL

Are you picking your names out of hat?

idesign on April 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

viking01 on April 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I’m waving at big brother…with one finger.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’m waving at big brother…with one finger.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’ll have to look for that one on Google Images:-)

predator on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Are you picking your names out of hat?

idesign on April 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Not quite. Principle, expertise, and economics. Whether or not they can win/be selected for their position is not one of my criteria. My goal is to move the GOP to the right (meaning constitutional conservative/libertarian). Are you a stick a finger in the wind type?

Firefly_76 on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Where is the poll? I see nothing.

moochy on April 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Where is the poll? I see nothing.

moochy on April 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Google (!) is having intermittent outages. Refresh the page every couple minutes; it’ll be back, if not now, shortly.

Patrick Ishmael on April 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I’m waving at big brother…with one finger.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’ll have to look for that one on Google Images:-)

predator on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

They’ll NEVER take me alive.
Bwahahaha.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I’m working as an election judge on Tuesday

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM

So, you’re gonna

Gohawgs on April 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Palin/West 2012 – so awesome it just might trigger the ending of the world.

Rebar on April 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM

QFT!!!!

powerpro on April 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I’ll have to look for that one on Google Images:-)

predator on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

They’ll NEVER take me alive.
Bwahahaha.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Wait till you get here (TX) to wave that finger. They won’t be able to distinguish yours from the rest of our waving fingers.

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

So, you’re gonna…

Gohawgs on April 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM

No…but the precinct I work is ‘ground zero’ for the local mayoral race. It’s one mayoral candidate’s home base. It’s also the home precinct of the Republican turned democrat state rep…who endorsed the other guy.
Could get very interesting.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I’m going to Mass on Sunday.
I might check out Holy Spirit.
My name’s Barb.*grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I’m waving at big brother…with one finger.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’ll have to look for that one on Google Images:-)

predator on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Someone just tweeted me that those images are now on Facebook. BTW that’s a nice ring on the adjacent finger.

viking01 on April 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM

viking01 on April 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM

My mother say’s that since I’m old enough to be a grandmother I should start acting my age.
Riiiight.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

…if Paul supporters try to cheat as they notoriously do for his father Ron, I will remove Rand from subsequent polls.

I know that this was pointed out in the very first comment and I don’t know in how many other comments since then, as I haven’t read these thread comments yet, but it really did give me a laugh.

Sometimes the truth has a way of doing that do me.

Brass on April 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

FRED!!!

(three exclamation points signifies the highest level of FRED! man-love. Do not try to outdo me with more exclamation points as it only shows you don’t know the rules.)

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM

?fred?

csdeven on April 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Palin has waaaaaay too much negative baggage. If we want another 4 years of Obama, then by all means, make Palin the nominee.

csdeven on April 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I’m going to be in the hill country on Sunday checking out the wildflowers (to help ‘palate cleanse’ after a meeting I have to go to Saturday). If you go to Holy Spirit please make sure you introduce yourself to Msgr Gene and tell him you just moved here. Actually before the service, if they have greeters (they most always do, or at least ushers), be sure and tell one of them also, so they can show you around and introduce you to a few people.

When you’re a bit settled, can I take you to lunch – or dinner? Hubby’s welcome too if he wants… I’d be happy to take you around to show you the place too. That should take about half an hour (just kidding – but it’s really kind of small and out in the middle of nowhere).

I’m Jess. I really hope you’re gonna like it here!

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I’m Jess. I really hope you’re gonna like it here!

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Sorry, I guess that was confusing. Eren is my middle name.

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Palin/Bolton 2012: Morning in America again.

John the Libertarian on April 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM
From your lips to God’s ear.

onlineanalyst on April 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Yes, this is my choice too… I think that it would be best to keep all the conservatives and TEA Partiers (one and the same really)in Congress to advance Palin’s agenda. We’re going to need Bolton to straighten out the foreign policy mess Obama and Co have created.

CCRWM on April 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM

csdeven on April 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Can we just have a primary and see who comes out on top?

So should Palin not be allowed to run or should we just not be allowed to vote for her?

The baggage argument and that it guarantees Obama another four years is a weak argument considering that none of the other candidates have been under the same scrutiny as has Palin. Well, not yet anyway.

Don’t be a fool and think that will remain the case forever for these other potential candidates.

Aren’t you that annoying Romneybot csdeven from the 2008 campaign?

Where does Romneycare rank on the baggage meter?

chief on April 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM

I’m Jess. I really hope you’re gonna like it here!

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Sorry, I guess that was confusing. Eren is my middle name.

Eren on April 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I called Holy Spirit a few weeks back and said that they had been ‘recommended’ by an Eren. now I understand why they sounded a bit confused. LoL Btw: How’s the music ministry @ Holy Spirit? I was a cantor @ St. Joe’s.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Eren:
there’s a group made up of HA’er’s on FB called HARP.
If you have a FB page-request to join. Hornet & Meaty are among the admins…and I’m the only Barb in the group.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM

LOL! They wouldn’t have known who Jess is either since I’ve been going to Christ the King! I don’t know much about HS’s music; they’ve got all kinds of music going at my parish. You should try both parishes. And there are a lot more; I have meant to visit more of the others but they’ve kept my husband and me pretty busy at CTK.

I really like HS a lot- beautiful church, nice people – but since I live closer to CTK I went to RCIA there. And kept going…

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I’m going to be living near 73rd and University Ave.
Which parish is closer?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Christ the King will be a *lot* closer to you. I’m surprised though, I figured if your hubby was going to work for West Texas & Lubbock (or Permian Basin) RR, you’d be over there in the SW part of town.

Anyway if you want to look at mapquest or google maps, CTK is at 54th and about Nashville. HS is at 98th and Frankford. There may be a church closer to you than CTK but it would be a [much] smaller church. I’ll have to look that up.

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM

We’re right near the 289 loop-I think-and I’ve been told that the neighborhood is good.
Walmart wants me to call for an interview next week. I haven’t worked in two years. I applied at the Lubbock Walmart…last Monday.

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Patrick,
I think your field is too wide… Some of them have no chance to be anywhere close. Bolton, Giuliani, Huntsman, Johnson, Roemer, Santorum and Trump don’t have any chance at all. Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love John Stache Bolton. But I think such straightforward and Blunt men are not for politics. I would love to see him President. But I don’t see how he gets there. As for the rest the rest that I listed… crappy candidates. I hope you will keep narrowing the field.

antisocial on April 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Yes, you are very near the loop. Which Walmart? There are 4 of them here, two of which I really like. There’s a Target VERY close to you and a KMart also pretty close. There’s a decent Mexican restaurant nearby and a good breakfast restaurant. Arboretum is about 2 miles, a science museum about half a mile away. I don’t know much about the neighborhood but it looks fine to me.

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Actually, Barb, Holy Spirit turns out to be not that much farther… Christ the King is about 3 miles from you and Holy Spirit is about 5 and a half. Living here is ruining me, I guess, nothing is far away. When I lived in Arizona everyplace I needed to get to seemed to be a minimum 45 minute drive. The only thing that is far away from here is an Amtrak station.

I have to go to bed.

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Took the poll late at night and my dream-team is Palin-Bolton. Fat chance, eh?
But I mainly want to go on the record to say that i would never vote for Huckabee. I can’t stand the sight of him, i can’t stand the sound of his voice. I boycott Fox News all weekend because they try to ram his lame and stupid show down our throats, and I’m absolutely certain that he is a phoney, slimy liar and I’ll take a second term of bamo before i see stinkabee in the wh. There, got that off my chest.

captconrad on April 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM

darwin-t on April 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Sure, but the president acts as the head of the party and sets the debate. I just want to see SS and medicare be the top issues in 2012. With Palin as nominee the public discourse will be focused on whether the media hates middle America just as it was in 2008.

jhffmn on April 4, 2011 at 4:27 AM

When will we see the results? This will be interesting without Huck as one of the choices. I didn’t change my vote from last month and I chose “other” no one as my 2nd choice this time.

karenhasfreedom on April 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM

on the question of double voting how can a husband/wife team vote?

unseen on April 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Luckily for Ron Paul, all his supporters are still 100% still on board meaning he is going to build on his base rather than have to fight to maintain it.

Spathi on April 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Sorry Spathi, but Ron Paul is still nuts. And that hasn’t changed.
I really liked Ron Paul at first. Then I got to know him. When I heard his views & ideas on foreign policy, I know right then & there he was too dangerous to ever be POTUS. He would put this country at risk. Even get us all killed. No thanks.
Also, why is he still serving the TX legislature how many years? His time is up.
Don’t get me wrong, Ron has a lot of good qualities, but his views on how the US should deal with the rest of the world is more than enough to turn me off forever.
I also used to like Romney, till I learned more abt Romneycare & heard more coming from his mouth abt issues.
He never really says anything.
And it’s really sad that Bolton’s bluntness is too much for the American electorate. Bcs he’s RIGHT. He’d make a great POTUS.
But of course, the fickle American electorate is full of panty-waisted cowards who want to be wooed & courted.
Bah.
Palin is my choice. But bcs so many mindless numbtards believe what’s thrown at them in the news & Star magazine etc., I suppose that’ll never happen.
But she would make a great POTUS.

Badger40 on April 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM

And I agree with another poster. Rand Paul sounds so great. I heard him last night on CSPAN at the IA fundraiser.
He is a wonderful speaker & sets things straight.
But IDK. Usually the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
I am reserving my judgment until he’s been in Congress for a while.
Let him do his work there for now.

Badger40 on April 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Trump/Bachmann.

What I want for next year’s election is to win it.

Lourdes on April 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I would rather see “Are you better off than you were 12 years ago?”

I think it will be how Gov Palin tries to unite the country….

unseen on April 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

As I read this I was cleaning my nails with a letter opener from Dubya’s inauguration pen set I got…sweet. Stick it to the “blue blood’s” too. Rove would lose so much gravitas that he’d be called to replace one of the astronauts on the ISS.

ProudPalinFan on April 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

on the question of double voting how can a husband/wife team vote?

unseen on April 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Heh that’d trigger a fight here. If anybody wants to borrow a Puerto Rico zip code, I got plenty. Of course I am a good girl and used my PA zip.

My picks are Palin/West. Check him out here and this classic here.

ProudPalinFan on April 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Took the poll late at night and my dream-team is Palin-Bolton. Fat chance, eh?

captconrad on April 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Is it just me or does he look a LOT like Richard Nixon?

ProudPalinFan on April 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I have to go to bed.

Eren on April 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM

I was walking 4 miles each way to my old Parish. I’m also a half-marathon walker-so 3 or 5 miles in nothing for me.
CTK it is.
Thanks for checking.
-Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

“That Mitt guy sure has nice hair” ~ DC Insiders.

I’m still holding out for the dream team of Palin/West.

I could go for Palin/Perry, Palin/Cain, Palin/Rubio, even Palin/Bolton… You get the drift.

no No NO! to Gingrich, Romney, Trump or the Huckster.

Fallon on April 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

When confronted with the reality of our idiotic celebrity-worship culture, I often wonder how it has come to be that so many people are so ignorant about so many subjects.

For instance, here we are in an environment where Idiot Culture has produced a President who … well, a President Obama (enough said), a $1.6 Trillion annual budget deficit, a bitterly opposed takeover of healthcare by the socialists, and a series of hundred-billion-dollar business bailouts. And the solution offered even by self-declared conservatives is … Donald Trump?

Jaibones on April 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Mitch Daniels/Paul Ryan.

We need some fiscal policy wonks running this country.

Ideologues need not apply.

Palin? Gimme a break. Rubio? Not running. Bolton? Can you say four more wars?

What’s wrong with you people? Do you have a death wish for the GOP?

Get real.

mountainaires on April 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Mitch Daniels/Paul Ryan.

We need some fiscal policy wonks running this country.

Ideologues need not apply.

Palin? Gimme a break.

Mitch Daniels??? And I love Ryan but a Daniels/Ryan ticket should inspire little more than some naps.

Why write off Palin?? Because the media says so?? Take a look at her record in Alaska and then talk to me fiscal policy wonks.

Dan Pet on April 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Palin/Bolton 2012: Morning in America again.

John the Libertarian on April 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I’d work my azz off and donate as much time and money as possible for that ticket.

Jerome Horwitz on April 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Is it just me or does he look a LOT like Richard Nixon?

ProudPalinFan on April 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM

No, it’s not just you. With Huckabee I’m sensing a Nixon redux with sinister Carter overtones and a long, bitter finish.

captconrad on April 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Having a bit war-chest and lots of media attention didn’t help McCain win…. and it won’t help Romney win. McCain is too independent, even for independents, and Romney is too much of an empty suit. But then, Obama’s pretty much and empty suit also… so who really knows?

I’d vote for Palin/Bolton as noted above. But many people I know won’t vote for Palin no matter which party they currently belong to.

Bachmann wouldn’t make it either. Her mis-speaking gets in the way of her otherwise solid agenda.

I even like Rand Paul, but don’t support is father.

So in my craziest wishes I’d probably run a Paul/Trump ticket. Wouldn’t that be interesting?

But really what I’d like to see is a Rubio/Paul ticket.

Lawrence on April 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Get us all killed? All 308,745,538 of us? Really?

Please. Bush ran on the same foreign policy platform in 2000.

I actually pity you people, even though you have advocated, and succeeded, in nullifying so many of our liberties. I can’t imagine what it’s like to live in a constant state of fear like so many here do. What’s even more ironic (and tragic) is, Bushbama’s interventionist “foreign policy” is making us less safe.

Here’s a news flash for you: Our own government is more dangerous to our lives, liberties and prosperity than any Islamicist boogeyman could ever dream of being.

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Mitch Daniels/Paul Ryan.

We need some fiscal policy wonks running this country.

Ideologues need not apply.

Palin? Gimme a break. Rubio? Not running. Bolton? Can you say four more wars?

What’s wrong with you people? Do you have a death wish for the GOP?

Get real.

mountainaires on April 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Agreed on Daniels, and Palin.

I’d rather see Bolton as veep, but he’d make a good Sec. of State too.

JetBoy on April 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Tough Veep list to try and pair with my first Pres choice of Palin. Rubio stated he’s not interedted in running for Pres, but he didn’t close the door on the Veep job. I love Herman Cain and John Bolton, but Cain is too much the entertainer for me, and Bolton I’d dearly love to see ast Sec/State.

So I went Palin/Rubio.
Secon Pres choice was TPaw.

And really, if Obammy keeps up what he’s been doing(and there’s no reason to think he won’t) that list could have “Ham Sammich” on it and it’d beat Obammy.

44Magnum on April 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The interesting results will be the combined 1st/2nd choice candidates… Is T-paw second in line to make him real and where do supporters of non-real candidates break…

phreshone on April 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

“Ham Sammich” on it and it’d beat Obammy.

44Magnum on April 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The south park options were “turd sandwich” or “giant douche”… and yes, both are preferable to Barry…

phreshone on April 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Palin/West for the win on the No More Bullsh*t ticket.

james23 on April 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I filled this thing out twice. First time, I clicked submit and never got an acknowledgment it was accepted. Now, I did it again, because it FINALLY came up again, and there is no submit button. I don’t know if that means my original was accepted, but either way, this poll was seriously MESSED UP.

JannyMae on April 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Wow, that’s a serious dose of stupid right there.

JannyMae on April 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

JannyMae on April 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

You have to scroll down a little past the “Other Thoughts” box to get the submit button. It’s too bad it doesn’t quite fit in the window.

Fallon on April 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Wow, that’s a serious dose of stupid right there.

JannyMae on April 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I know, right? I can’t imagine anything more idiotic than waging a series of perpetual nation-building wars and policing the world while we’re on the verge of national bankruptcy. It would be insane even if we weren’t bankrupt!

Oh well. Once Zimbabwe Ben kills the USD, our glorious Welfare-Warfare state will come crashing down. Bittersweet!

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Are you one of the folks that believe our government orchestrated 9/11?

ButterflyDragon on April 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Are you one of the folks that believe our government orchestrated 9/11?

ButterflyDragon on April 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Um no, I’m not.

Was the fedgov utterly incompetent in attending to one of its few Constitutionally mandated duties? Absofreakinlutely.

Alas, the fedgov was just too busy running every industry (into the ground), policing the world and providing security for other nations (and at the same time forcing American taxpayers to subsidize those same nations’ glorious welfare states), and finding new and creative, creepy ways to insinuate itself into all of our lives than to do one of its most important jobs, I guess.

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Get us all killed? All 308,745,538 of us? Really?

Please. Bush ran on the same foreign policy platform in 2000.

Rae on April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Very clever of you not to include my name so I might not catch your nastiness & not reply.
I’m not saying I agree with what Bush did. He should have taken care of business the right way. Bomb the $hit out of Iraq & Afghanistan. Turned that hellhole into a wasteland.
Then let the morons back to repopulate.
And if they started being a pain in the a$$ again, bomb the $hit out of them again.
By totally advocating pulling out of all foreign interests which is what I heard RP advocate from his own lips over time, that IMHO is suicide.
You cannot disengage from that part of the world totally.
We must keep a presence.
We cannot let our enemies plot against us & grow in strength.
I don’t advocate nation building.
I do advocate acting in our best interest.
That means doing something about Iran.
And Syria, etc.
And Saudi Arabia.
Bcs those people are fighting us in the AfPak theater.
If you don’t like my opinion of Ron Paul, you are kindly reminded you can kiss my a$$ about it.
Bcs I think he is nuts.
Even crazy people can have some good ideas.
But they’re still effing crazy.

Badger40 on April 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

And BTW-one of the jobs of the Federal Government is to protect the states from invasion.
There are a lot of ways to do that.
Clapping your hands over your ears & closing your eyes while you bury your head in the sand is not a good way to avoid conflict.
And I got news for you Rae, These despots are gunning for us.
It doesn’t matter what we do or don’t do.
They still want to destroy us.

Badger40 on April 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Fallon on April 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Thank you.

JannyMae on April 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Badger40 on April 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Poor in denial Badger. You’re angry with me, but you should be angry with the USG and those crazies who led us down the primrose path of empire over the last 50 years.

Again, I pity you. It’s over for us and you don’t even know it, let alone the whys.

The hubris of great empires leads them to believe they have been chosen by God as a special nation destined for eternal wealth and success. The seventeenth century Spanish empire thought so. The Dutch and their glorious maritime empire thought so. The all-powerful British Empire thought so. Do you hear much about these empires anymore? They all sacrificed productive activities and embraced the glories of a debt based society. Kevin Phillips details these declines in his brilliant book American Theocracy :

“Understandable as this cockiness might be, history teaches a crucial distinction: nations could marshal the necessary debt-defying high wire walks and comebacks during their youth and early middle age, when their industries, exports, capitalizations, and animal spirits were vital and expansive, but they became less resilient in later years. During these periods, as their societies polarized and their arteries clogged with rentier and debt buildups, wars and financial crises stopped being manageable. Of course, clarity about this develops only in retrospect. However, even though war related debt seems to have been part of each fatal endgame, the past leading world economic powers seem to have made another error en route. They did not pay enough attention to establishing or maintaining a vital manufacturing sector, thereby keeping a better international balance and a broader internal income distribution than financialization allowed.”

This piece made me cry last night. Not that it said anything that I didn’t already know, but some days, it’s just harder to take than others.

It didn’t have to be this way, but it is what it is. We committed national suicide, like so many other empires before us.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
–George Santayana

Rae on April 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM

What a joke. You don’t include Ron Paul even though he won the CPAC straw poll two years in a row and is on the verge of announcing his bid to run.

alteredbeat on April 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM