A new protection racket in Wisconsin?

posted at 11:30 am on April 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Quick — we need Barack Obama’s bullying task force in Wisconsin statThe AFL-CIO has launched a campaign of intimidation against Wisconsin businesses, demanding that owners prominently display a flyer declaring support for the unions against Scott Walker’s budget-repair law.  If union members don’t see the flyer, the AFL-CIO declares that union members will boycott the business and that neutrality is not an option:

Dated March 28, 2011, the letter is addressed to “DEAR UNION GROVE AREA BUSINESS OWNER/MANAGER,” in Racine County. And it begins with this warm greeting: “It is unfortunate that you have chosen ‘not’ to support public workers rights in Wisconsin. In recent past weeks you have been offered a sign(s) by a public employee(s) who works in one of the state facilities in the Union Grove area. These signs simply said ‘This Business Supports Workers Rights,’ a simple, subtle and we feel non-controversial statement given the facts at this time.”

We doubt “subtle” is the word a business owner would use to describe this offer he is being told he can’t refuse.

The letter is signed by Jim Parrett, the “Field Rep.” for Council 24 of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which is the most powerful union in the AFL-CIO. The letter presents a litany of objections to Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s changes to benefits and public union collective bargaining power, describing them as “things that make life working in a 24-7 facility tolerable.”

The missive concludes by noting that, “With that we’d ask that you reconsider taking a sign and stance to support public employees in this community. Failure to do so will leave us no choice but do [sic] a public boycott of your business. And sorry, neutral means ‘no’ to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members.”

So even businesses that stay neutral in the political battle are considered the enemy and will be punished. Charming stuff, and especially coming from a union that claims (wrongly) to be losing its constitutional rights. Free speech for others apparently isn’t all that important.

This actually seems more sinister than the Wall Street Journal supposes, especially after the campaign of intimidation seen in the state’s capitol and the attempts to shut down the legislature.  Why do unions need a sign in the window at all?  It looks more like a way to mark territory, and a warning that the kind of tactics that the unions brought to Madison could be deployed against businesses in Racine County, and elsewhere.

Nice business ya got there, Cheesehead.  Hate to see anything happen to it, IYKWIMAITYD.  Sure ya don’t want dis flyer?

There is nothing illegitimate about boycotts and protests, as long as they are conducted peacefully and don’t obstruct access to businesses and state institutions.  The track record in Madison speaks for itself, and the demand to fly the flag by the AFL-CIO could not be more clear.

Thankfully, Wisconsin business owners are made of sterner stuff:

Parrett ended his letter by offering a phone number merchants could call to get off the boycott list.

In Union Grove, that must be a long list. The union thanked shops it counted as supporters, listing 27 local businesses. But merchants and The Journal Times could only find two Main Street businesses displaying the AFSCME sign Wednesday.

One was Raceway Food Mart, 1645 Main St. Owner Hushyar Singh said one of his workers told union members the store would take a sign.

“I will just keep it a week or two, because I don’t want to have so many signs in the window,” said Singh, who clearly had no passion for the issue.

Glen Cayemberg, co-owner of Grove Insurance, 815 Main St., said they got the boycott letter even though they’d never even been asked to display the poster. He would’ve said no anyway.

“As a business owner, your business needs to remain neutral, and you’re not in a position to hop on either side of the fence,” Cayemberg said.

Jeff Kieslich, owner of Ruma Sports, 1000 Main St., said he called Parrett after getting the letter. “I was just disappointed; I didn’t like the tone of the letter,” Kieslich said. “To me, it bordered on strong-arm tactics.

“I have every right to keep silent,” he added. “It does me no good to put a sign like that in my window.”

Wisconsin voters need to understand that the fundamental issue in this fight is control of public policy.  Will that remain in the hands of voters, or will they allow it to be seized by the same bullies who now threaten private-sector businesses and who tried to shut down representative democracy in Madison over the last few weeks?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And I bet her customers are very patient and loving this!

ladyingray on April 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Just spoke w/Dawn. What a nice lady! I got a round of applause from all her customers when she announced where I live.

Told her to go to HotAir when she gets home so she can read all about herself and the support she’s getting from us.

GrannyDee on April 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

… or swastikas…

Khun Joe on April 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The swastika comment was a follow on to the hammer and sickle comment…

These “union” thugs need to get back in their box… You don’t threaten businesses like this… It is NOT the American way…

Khun Joe on April 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

GrannyDee@1:09,
That was nice of you to mention HA. I hope Rush and Glenn have this story on their radio shows Monday to give Dawn more support. That would really get the phone lines humming with all the listeners they have!
L

letget on April 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

GrannyDee on April 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

She really is a sweetheart. You can just feel her heartfelt appreciation come through the phone.
So glad I called her, it really made my day.
Very uplifting.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Khun Joe on April 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

What these thugs don’t realize is that people like Dawn are living the American Dream. They aren’t.

ladyingray on April 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I hope no one tries to put her on the spot about how she leans politically in this matter. As a former teacher and a business woman, she probably has a clearer views of both sides than the average person.

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Agreed, darlin’

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Perhaps local businesses could ‘boycott’ the union’s ‘company’. OOPS, that would be the government and that gets you sent to jail.

Nice to be in such a position of lopsided power.

“Support America’s Public Service Unions. Thuggish behavior and Lackluster service at your expense for over 50 years! “

OBQuiet on April 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I just looked up her store on Google Earth, it’s not far from the airport, maybe I’ll pick up a trip that just happens to overnight in Milwaukee and do some shoppin’ while I’m there :-)

Tony737 on April 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

So, I’m assuming all these union members who are boycotting are going to do all their shopping via mail order?

Let them box themselves in a corner.

I like when stupid people drop things on their own foot.

ButterflyDragon on April 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Tony737 on April 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

That would be sweet! Don’t forget to let us know all about it if you get the chance to go.

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

No doubt that Dawn will be asked to appear on Nightline, Good Morning America, Bill Moyers, and The View to tell her story. Right?

ardenenoch on April 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

If I didn’t have the flu I would drive down and buy something from the nice people in Union Grove.
I wonder how ashamed my grandparents would be if they could see what the Union they had been so proud of has become.
Some Unions are trying other things too.
Some of you may have heard of Mark Belling subbing for Rush. The teamsters are going after his radio station. Also a new low is leaving a small tip and signing union member after the name.
H/T http://badgerblogger.com/

Gracelynn on April 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

ardenenoch on April 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

{Choke-splutter}
I just spit ice-water all over my monitor…

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Where are the Pinkertons when some union arses are so richly deserving a beating?

JohnGalt23 on April 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Just dont spend your money in businesses that put up a union sign.

They picked sides.

All my comments continue to be censored by the HotAir Gestapo.

WoosterOh on April 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

ardenenoch on April 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

She’s too busy doing real work.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Business Hours:
Sun CLOSED, Mon 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM, Tues 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Weds 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Thurs 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Fri 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Sat 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM

I like her business hours. I remember the days when all businesses were closed on Sunday. Bet she’s in church…

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

ardenenoch on April 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I guess this is an unimpeded test of the power of FOX and conservative media. I wonder how the business is here?

Of course it’s Madison so it may not be a fair comparison.

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I support Chick-fil-a!!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Union thugs are sounding more and more like terrorist in the Middle East that threaten businesses if they sell liquor, sell movies or are an internet cafe. They threaten them at first, then they blow up the building.

All my comments are being censored by the HotAir censor police.

WoosterOh on April 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM

TugboatPhil on April 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Phil –

I think I still have a copy of DOS 6.? If you’re interested in up-grading, call me. It’s for sale.

oldleprechaun on April 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Al Capone would be proud.

percysunshine on April 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Just when I was starting to really like my state again.

I really hope Prosser holds on next week.

BadgerHawk on April 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Well framed, Ed. Meant to send kudos the first time I saw it. Very effective.

petefrt on April 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

As I business owner I don’t see how any business would want to do anything than remain neutral. I’d sell to Obama himself if he is willing to hand over the money.

I have 30 employees, all are very conservative (even though some may be democrats) and they tend to like to put up signs throughout the factory making fun of Obama, ObamaCare or whatever idiotic liberal thing they find on the Internet. The problem is that we have customers visit from all over the country and I in no way want to piss them off, so I have to stay on top of things and keep the place politically neutral…at least visually. Money is money and I take pleasure in getting it from someone that wouldn’t give me the time of day if they knew my political views.

I’ve also developed a way to talk politics with visitors. You have to vet them. You say something like, “I saw this story on Fox News the other day about [insert the place the customer is from here]…” If they talk about a show they like on Fox, then I’m usually in the clear. If they say something like, “I would trust anything I heard on Faux News” then I know to tread lightly.

ReaganWasRight on April 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

KloppenburgEqualsUnionDotCom

DWB on April 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Wisconsin AFSCME Members Donate $50,000 to Help Japanese Earthquake Victims
March 21st, 2011

Awesome!

Now…leave the old lady and the others that don’t want to put up your sign alone and leave it a that.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I just spoke myself to Miss? Bobo, let her know that a Virginian supports what she’s done to stand up against the union thugs, said they were getting calls from all over the U.S.. Asked about Justice Prosser’s chance of getting reelected, seemed to think he may have a good chance. Let her know hotair folks are rooting for her and Wisconsin.

nwsseeker on April 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM

In 1930′s Germany, the Nazi’s forced signs on Jewish stores to identify them for a boycott.

It appears AFSCME Council 24 remembers history well

Kini on April 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Goons…

Seven Percent Solution on April 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Let’s not loose the forest for the trees here.

Not only do we have the unions engaging in (without fear of recrimination or criminal charges) a protection racket, but there is also:

- a local judge who has not just doubled down, but TRIPLED down on her own overreaching as she blocks a law from being published despite the fact that she has no standing to do so and there is no legal reason to stop it.

- a local DA who is so busy trying to stop the law (which, of course, isn’t his duty) that he can’t/won’t investigate a deranged teacher with a history of stalking issues who emailed death threats to Republicans.

- and, of course, the sad and frightening fact that the libs and dems are PROUD of turning Wisconsin into some third world corrupt country.

It’s truly frightening what is going on in Wisconsin and that the media doesn’t care about it and that they are (seemingly) getting away with it.

Religious_Zealot on April 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Next thing ya know some shops will have “Juden” painted on their windows.

Akzed on April 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

God bless Dawn! They are real Americans!

JellyToast on April 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM

crr6 will ‘fly’ by shortly, to defend the goons.

Schadenfreude on April 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

crr6 will ‘fly’ by shortly, to defend the goons.

Schadenfreude on April 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Isn’t that ernesto’s job?

Del Dolemonte on April 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM

ReaganWasRight on April 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

You sound like a good businessman. But why do actors and rockstars constantly piss off half of their audience? I guess because they make millions either way.

I make apolitical remarks on the plane’s mic for the military passengers onboard and everybody claps, but a few times I’ve had negative responses from lefties. One guy said “What is this, ‘Republican Airways’?” As if the military only defends half the population. Even got a complaint letter from the daughter of Dennis Kucinich! haha

Tony737 on April 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Tony737 on April 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I guess actors already have enough money. I think it does hurt them when they constantly harp on their politics. For what its worth, I’ll never listen to Jimmy Buffett again, nor will I EVER watch a movie starring DiCaprio or directed by James Cameron. I used to be a big “Parrot Head” but I just couldn’t stand hearing his political views at every concert I went to. JB also went to the White House…do you really think Obama is really a fan of anything but his money?

ReaganWasRight on April 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

JohnGalt23 on April 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Aren’t they unionized(and acquired by some other company)?

Asking for a group of people that overstepped the law in order to exterminate unions, is not the best response. It’s not even a good one, despite its possibility to satisfy the urge for revenge. There’s enough satisfaction to be had with the “no” or “no more good performance reviews regardless of performance” department; no need to give unions another reason to exist.

sethstorm on April 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM

The Husband called Mrs. Bobo. She is really having a good day.

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM

T h u g s

AshleyTKing on April 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM

ladyingray on April 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

They are redefining it as the New American Dream. Pretty much the opposite of the old one, except for having stuff. In the old American Dream you earn it, the new one, you lobby, tantrum, threaten and intimidate for your “funds”.

forest on April 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM

We’ve seen this before:

Nazi SA Storm Troopers in Berlin on April 1, 1933, with boycott signs, blocking the entrance to a Jewish-owned shop. Signs read “Germans! Defend yourselves! Don’t buy from Jews!”

scrubjay on April 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I have an idea. Businesses could post the “boycott” threat and the year “2011″ next to it, and your photo (with translation, or a similar photo) with “1933″ next to it.

JimC on April 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM

JohnGalt23 on April 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Ahh, those were the days.

slickwillie2001 on April 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM

And the difference between this and the mafia is . . . ?

WannabeAnglican on April 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Tony737 on April 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

God Bless you.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM

ReaganWasRight on April 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Many rock stars like Jimmy lost, or began to lose, their minds in Late 2000, when Chimpy “stole” the Presidency from their then-Meassiah. The rest of them followed suit 4 years later when they raised money in concerts for a guy who ran on his “military record” in a war that he (and them) had trashed for decades. Suddenly, Vietnam was a “Good War”-because Jean-Claude Kerri fought in it.

You expect politics at some rock concerts (see C, S, N & Y) but they are the exception rather than the rule, as typically political music hasn’t been a big seller.

Del Dolemonte on April 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Correct!..Just ask the Dixie Chicks!..:)

Dire Straits on April 2, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Dire Straits on April 2, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Hey DS.
Whassup?

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Great to see you!..Looks like I have some catching up to do!..:)

Dire Straits on April 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Dire Straits on April 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Call Dawn on Monday to show your solidarity err, support of her stance. She is a real peach of a lady.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM

She definitely sounds like a Patriot!..I will definitely try to call her Monday!..:)

PS..That is/was so cool for all of you to call her!..:)

Dire Straits on April 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Just spoke to Dawn. She is a real sweetheart, said her customers are loving all our calls and she told me she is scheduled to be on Greta Monday night.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Sweet! I’ll be watching!!! :D

ladyingray on April 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I saw her(w/Stuart Varney)on Cavuto;she’s a strong, brave,hardworking woman!

Dawn,

Good for you for standing up for your business & community! I support you 100%. If you need help, get a message to us; I will be there! Best luck in your new business!

TN Mom

TN Mom on April 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Dawn,

TN Mom

TN Mom on April 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I am sure we all will be. Dawn is a true patriot.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM

===============================

From a Progessive point of view!!
=================================

Dane Co. GOP: Apologizes to Judge Sumi
3/30/2011

Unf*ckin believable! These people are nuts!
*******************************************

The Republican Party of Dane County sent out a press release on March 29th criticizing Judge Maryann Sumi for holding up the publication of Governor Scott Walker’s collective bargaining reform bill. Upon further reflection we’d like to apologize for not understanding her point of view.

Sure, Governor Walker’s bill is unquestionably constitutional, increases worker’s rights and helps local government balance budgets without having to fire public workers. The Wisconsin state legislature consulted with their non-partisan parliamentarian to make sure that the passage of the bill followed the rules of the Senate and Assembly. But this isn’t about the law, is it?

The Republican Party of Dane County recognizes that Judge Sumi is a leftist living in Dane County. Her friends are leftists living in Dane County. Her son is a left wing activist in Dane County. She goes to cocktail parties held by leftists in Dane County.

*************************************************************
She shops at organic gourmet food shops run by leftists living in Dane County. If she were to enforce the law of Wisconsin and do what was in the best interest of the people of Wisconsin, she’d be exiled from her lifestyle. She’d lose her friends!
*************************************************************

The leadership of the Republican Party of Dane County have all made the choice to stand against the Dane County elite. We accept that Left feels righteous vandalizing our homes and keying our cars. It’s only fair. We disagree based upon logic and principle. That is intolerable! We prioritize the Constitution and the well being of the people of Wisconsin over foie gras at cocktail parties. That’s the choice we made.

************************************************************
We respect Judge Sumi’s decision to live her life with the rich diversity that liberals cherish.
************************************************************

canopfor on April 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I am sure we all will be. Dawn is a true patriot.

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM

True that!

TN Mom on April 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Time to wake up America. If this is what you want for your future, just keep pandering to, and supporting Unions that pull this kind of crap.

capejasmine on April 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I have made up an image for just such an occasion:

I urge anyone in Wisconsin whose businesses have been threatened by these thugs to print it up and put this in their window. Even one should send the unions packing.

BKennedy on April 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM

One was Raceway Food Mart, 1645 Main St. Owner Hushyar Singh

The union thugs might want to ask Indira Gandhi what to expect if they mess with the Sikhs.

Christien on April 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

If I were a business owner in Madison, I’d post a very similar sign reading, “This Business Supports Right to Work.”

Watch the goons do double-takes!

Ace ODale on April 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I really wonder if this little pushy thug is the union representative for those who work at the Veterans home at Union Grove. I’ve been there before, it’s a great facility for taking care of our older veterans and sometimes their wives, and I highly doubt the employees would agree with such thuggery.

Disgusting little punk.

91Veteran on April 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Let’s hope that long-term, what is going on in Wisconsin starts a push for Right-to-Work in states that are not yet so fortunate. That would be the best outcome.

slickwillie2001 on April 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

If you want to know what created the Rust Belt, it was the unions.

flataffect on April 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Here’s the charming fellow behind the letter.

JammieWearingFool on April 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Should be easy enough to find his home address. Would be sweet to see a large group of Tea Partiers pull a page from the leftist playbook and stage a protest for civility on his front lawn.

holygoat on April 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM

slickwillie2001 on April 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Amen.

OmahaConservative on April 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I have reached a point where when I buy things, I look for the Union Label, if it has it, I choose another item. I drive Honda’s and Toyota’s for just that reason, that and I find their product superior to what rolls out of Detroit. I support the American worker wherever I can, just because you’re a worker does not mean you’re Union, I’m not…

M-14 2go on April 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM

This meshed nicely with the letters of intimidation sent last month to business owners from the heads of the police and firefighters unions demanding public endorsement of the unions’ cause, display of a pro-union sign, and a public apology for staying silent to that point. Not acceding to the demands would construed as being anti-union. There was the not so veiled threat that in a time of need people supporting the union would be first priority for receiving assistance by the public safety union members. Thugs.

in_awe on April 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Socialism and Liberation

FOR BULLIES

maverick muse on April 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

It’s not freedom if you have to make weekly installments… Unions should be legal, the collection of dues should not be!

rgranger on April 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM

It’s not freedom if you have to make weekly installments… Unions should be legal, the [forced] collection of dues should not be!

rgranger on April 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM

FIFY, Ranger. By way of clarification, of course. I do come from a right-to-work state, by the way.

gryphon202 on April 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM

What a great thread, thank you to all who supported Dawn yesterday. I think the union intimidation is especially bad in the southern part of the state.

wi farmgirl on April 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Cindy Munford on April 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

No kidding, having been a teacher, and now in this position. To me nothing is more evident that public unions should not exist. To go after small business the back bone of our economy right now is declaring war. It should be that ALL public employees lose their CB, the threatening letter from the police & firemen was chilling to me.

wi farmgirl on April 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Some Unions are trying other things too.
H/T http://badgerblogger.com/

Gracelynn on April 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Gracelynn, I don’t think they will never hurt Belling or his station. I am 150 miles from him and I listen when I am not working especially since this Madison fiasco came up. I think he has a pretty strong audience. If some of this thuggery gets out to the mainstream media perhaps we will see Prosser elected come Tuesday.

wi farmgirl on April 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Sure as hell sounds like extortion to me. Like the guy used to tell the store owner, “It would be a real shame to see something happen to you or your business, just because you couldn’t afford a little $500.00 a week insurance policy.”

Mr. Grump on April 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Khun Joe on April 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I was wrong… It’s the Chicago way…

Khun Joe on April 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

A great story story….when the light is shined, the rats scurry for the corners.

itsspideyman on April 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Liberal reasoning in a nutshell;

Burning a Koran – an act of hate speech and incitement that must be outlawed, with the burners at the least senet5enced to a century or three in prison.

Burning out a business that refuses to be intimidated by worthless union scum – an act of political speech protected under the First Amendment.

Gator Country on April 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM