Wow: Bachmann tops Romney in first quarter fundraising

posted at 5:59 pm on April 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

Actually, Ron Paul raised more than both of them, but because he did it through his nonprofit, those funds can’t be used for his presidential campaign.

I’m skeptical that she’ll be able to keep pace once wealthy donors open the floodgates for Mitt, but this is good press at a moment when she’s trying to convince people she’s a credible threat to win Iowa. And really — isn’t she? Especially with Romney already having more or less written the state off? Even if she doesn’t win, she stands an excellent chance of crippling Gingrich, Pawlenty, Barbour, and/or Palin by soaking up “true conservative” votes in a state each of them needs to have in order to launch him/her into South Carolina. She’s a giant-killer in the making. Which means, ironically, the only person happier than Bachmann about this news is … Mitt Romney. The more formidable she looks in Iowa, the less capable his opposition will be of sustaining a “long, hard slog” to the nomination.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, one of the most aggressive fundraisers on Capitol Hill, collected $1.7 million for her re-election campaign during the first three months of the year, a Bachmann adviser told CNN Friday.

And since that money sits in a federal account, it can be transferred to a presidential campaign account should the Tea Party favorite officially join the race for the Republican nomination in 2012…

All told, she raised $2.2 million in the first quarter of 2011.

That total is greater than the $1.9 million raised during the same period by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, considered the national frontrunner in the GOP presidential race.

Romney’s money was raised through his PAC so, as with Ron Paul’s haul, it’s untouchable when his campaign finally rolls out. Not a big deal, though: He’s already on the road doing grip-and-grins with rich Republicans so that he hits the ground running once he’s in. On the other hand, John McCormack notes that Bachmann’s money likely comes from direct mail, which means she may be getting constant cash infusions from her base down the road while Romney’s tapping out the big money early. I’d still rather be in his position than hers, but underestimate her at your peril.

Speaking of well-funded giant-killing candidates whom grassroots conservatives love, an improbable Rand Paul presidential run appears to be getting closer. He’ll have money to burn too, thanks to the Paulnuts, and I’m convinced that his appeal will be broader than his old man’s thanks to his visibility on budget cuts over the past two months. He’s not going to win any primaries, but he’s another person like Bachmann who can cripple the top contenders by bleeding away base votes that they need. And if nothing else, Paul will enforce discipline among the field on spending and entitlements as the primaries wear on by dragging them to the right. They won’t need much nudging — anyone who’s timid on deficits at the debates will be finished quickly — but I can imagine Paul continuing to dog Romney well into the spring and long after more credible candidates have dropped out, just to keep him honest on ObamaCare and spending. That’ll be risky insofar as it’ll pressure Mitt to tack right at a moment he’s trying to appeal to indies before the general election campaign, but it might also make Romney’s nomination more palatable to the base if it works.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

hmmmmm

Tammy Bruce is reporting MB and Mitt aides seen otgether. Is MB Mitt’s stalking horse. Allah seems to suggest Mitt benefits form MB being in the race…….hmmmmm

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Don’t understimate RON PAUL!!

Nelsen on April 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

he only person that can connect the two is Palin. If she is taken out I look for Paul and a Teap aprty person and Mitt to break wide open the GOp party. No one in the base likes Mitt period. He will lose in a landslide of epic porportions. Paul will also lose ina landslide. The only one that stands a chang eof beating Obama is Gov Palin.

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You guys really need to study Ron Paul, and spend some time reading Lew Rockwell’s blog and understand where they are coming from.

There is zero chance, that Paul would endorse Palin….she is an evil ‘neo-con’ to these people(i’m serious). They called Beck’s rally last year, after she spoke, a “Relgio-death rally” on Lew Rockwell’s blog.

Rand Paul may back her, but not Ron Paul, ever. Ron Paul is every bit on the same level as Michael Moore on his hatred of America, its military and foreign policy. Its all over their main blogs

jp on April 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Glenn Beck’s Religio-Death Rally
Posted by Lew Rockwell on August 28, 2010 11:33 AM

One might yawn at yet another anthill assembly in DC. But the purpose of Glenn Beck’s huge Lincoln-military celebration–with his fellow neocon warmonger Sarah Palin (a wholly owned subsidiary of Bill Kristol)–is to try to make all the Tea Party people obedient tools of the Republican apparatus, and detach them from Ron Paul. As usual, mass killing and patriotism undermine freedom. It’s more Armageddon-promotion in the Middle East, but the true Paulians will not be fooled. According to Glenn, blessed are the warmakers. It’s an honor to die for your country. It’s an honor to lose your limbs. It’s an honor to kill other people by the boatload. But hey, Beck, don’t just talk. Fly into Afghanistan. I’ll help pay for your parachute.

Ron Paul talks to Lew Rockwell every week, they go WAY back….they are Anarchist of the Murray Rothbard variety.

jp on April 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Buy Danish on April 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Let’s see your link takes me to a promitt site. Yeah they will be honest….they got no dog in the fight. /

Here is a link from Marketwatch/WSJ.com. They may have a dog in the fight but they use you know labor dept numbers and everthing….

The Republican contender was the governor of Massachusetts from January 2003 to January 2007. And during that time, according to the U.S. Labor Department, the state ranked 47th in the entire country in jobs growth. Fourth from last.

The only ones that did worse? Ohio, Michigan and Louisiana. In other words, two rustbelt states and another that lost its biggest city to a hurricane.

The Massachusetts jobs growth over that period, a pitiful 0.9%, badly lagged other high-skill, high-wage, knowledge economy states like New York (2.7%), California (4.7%) and North Carolina (7.6%).

The national average: More than 5%.

This was after four years. So far Obama has been in office for just one year. How was Romney’s performance by his first anniversary?

Fiftieth out of fifty.

That’s right. In Romney’s first year in charge, Massachusetts ranked dead last in America in jobs growth.

What makes this worse for Romney is that he actually ran on a jobs platform. Romney — who made his fortune building Bain Capital into one of the biggest venture capital firms in the world — promised the voters of Massachusetts that as governor he’d use his business savvy and connections to bring new jobs to the state.

“I don’t have to wait in the lobby to see middle management,” he pointedly said during one campaign event. It was a shot at his opponent, state politico Shannon O’Brien.

Romney went on: “There’s virtually not a chief executive officer in the country that won’t let me in to sit down with them in their office to pitch Massachusetts. And that is what I’ll do, inside Massachusetts, outside Massachusetts, outside of our country, to encourage businesses to come grow and thrive in the most robust portion of the economy, Massachusetts.”

Net result: 50th out of 50 after one year, 47th after four.

quick sign me up for this rainman job creator…..ROFLMAO…it sure ain’t no $12 billion freaking surplus I’ll tell you that. But being dead last is something for mitt to hang his hat on….

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Don’t understimate RON PAUL!!

Nelsen on April 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

A fitting post for this particular day.

itsnotaboutme on April 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM

jp on April 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I use to listen to Ron Paul in the 80′s he had the same talking points then as he has now. His anti-jew crap turns me off. I like some of his ideas yet he fails to live up to them and is one of the biggest earmarkers in congress. I would rather support a candidate that walks the walks and talks the talk like Palin then someone that simply is going to tell me what I want to hear to get my money like Ron Paul. Now his son is showing some promise. too early to tell yet but I do liek what I see form Rand Paul. 30 years of hearing the same stuff from Ron Paul always with a “please send money” after the pitch makes one ignore him.

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Ron Paul would make a good Secretary of the Treasury, especially if he pledges to help abolish the Fed….

Emperor Norton on April 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM

As long as he promises to not blame all of our financial problems on — the Jooooozzzza!!!

slickwillie2001 on April 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM

@jp

I had a general sense of Ron (not Rand) Paul but you nicely cemented that tieing him to Lou Rockwell. Well done; thank you.

DaMav on April 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Dark Horse?

AshleyTKing on April 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

She scares me, I don’t think she can beat Obama, it is early but I just feel that way.

old war horse on April 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Rand Paul. $500 billion in budget cuts and shut down three Cabinet-level bureaucracies. What is not to love, deeply and madly, ’til death do us part? How could he NOT win the nomination?

misterpeasea on April 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Blah blah blah. I bet you’re champing at the bit to find an opening to slip in that $12 billion talking point you mention at every opportunity, no matter how irrelevant it is to the topic at hand. Let me help you out!: Mitt has only raised a few million, but Palin left Alaska with a $12 billion surplus! You’re welcome.

The only Romney donor I can think of is Romney.
Done That on April 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Fortunately we aren’t relying on your ability to think to provide facts, information, or impressive political commentary.

Buy Danish on April 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Fortunately we aren’t relying on Buy Danish for a sense of humor.
By the way I “Buy American” including my butter cookies.

Done That on April 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM

I love how the ABP people downgrade Palin’s accomplishments. Accomplishments that their candidate couldn’t do if their life depended on it.
unseen on April 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM

You’re too dense to even see the irony in that statement. I am not “downgrading” Palin’s accomplishments, I am pointing out the irrelevancy of your idiotic argument (which you drop all over the blogosphere like so much litter). Whatever Palin did in Alaska has NOTHING to do with Massachusetts. Increased taxes on oil companies accounted for 90% of the surplus in Alaska at a time of high oil prices, and those taxes were not borne by Alaska residents – au contraire the benefited them directly. Taxing windmills which no one wanted would have been a tax on energy consumption, and on Mass residents who would have had the tax passed on to them. It wouldn’t have amounted to a hill of beans in increased revenue in any case, and it would also be hard to justify singling out one business for punitive taxes. If windmills are taxed, then all forms of energy have to be taxed also. Is that the direction you recommend states and the federal government go?

Buy Danish on April 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Fortunately we aren’t relying on Buy Danish for a sense of humor.
By the way I “Buy American” including my butter cookies.

Done That on April 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Uh, fortunately we’re not relying on YOU for a sense of humor. Yuk Yuk.

Oh, and unseen, you seem to have missed the link about the oil revenues in Alaska. I’m running out again and will address other issues later this afternoon if I have the time.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Buy Danish on April 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM

MassCare. The end. Your boy fails.

fossten on April 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Mitt & Michelle 2012?

Kevin71 on April 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM

As a RINO, you are obliged to prefer Romney’s position to Bachmann’s. Duh.

And yes, as someone who has given to Michele Bachmann on 3 different occasions, I can tell you that she has a relentless horde of fundraising personnel. I’ve never seen the like (with the exception of Obamabots, of course). I give maybe 10% of the time, whether by direct mail or telephone solicitation. They don’t let you forget about her for any length of time.

It’s time for Bachmann to change her tack. She shouldn’t be collecting money “to defend herself from attacks by the left” – it’s time for her to take a strong leadership stance and get a positive message out there.

She can be as wonkish and focused on mechanism as much as anyone out there, but the big message she needs to be pushing is American self-reliance and helping each other instead of waiting for the government to do for you.

Regarding Romney, you would think he’d be a shoe-in, because of his business/executive experience, but he’s stiff and he makes me uncomfortable somehow. And Romneycare is an albatross for him.

Michele has warmth and sincerity. Only Sarah can beat her on that level.

One thing that Barack Obama doesn’t understand is that “the rich” he loves to attack (and take donations from, like a Mafia punk collecting protection money) are able to help others with their riches. America used to have the resources to do the same. No longer.

This is what worries me on a more immediate level: a bankrupt America isn’t able to extend much of a helping hand.

disa on April 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I like her, she talks the talk as well or better than most, she is energetic and darn it I just can’t get there. I want to…I fear an inability to beat Odumbo. Depth may be an issue and like Trump she seems to say things off the top that tend to be careless and just rhetoric. I want to love and support her – can’t get there yet. Mitt, can’t win. Sarah can but won’t. Newt goes in spurts – on and off. Inconsistent as hell and great statesman but maybe too old. Where is the young blood??? Energy and quality and class and conservative….where are you??????

highninside on April 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

My take.

kingsjester on April 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I like Michelle Bachmann, too. I like her tweakin’ the Democratic-Farm-Labor Party up in Minnesota.

I sent a little to her recently. Heck, I have a little bit of jingly change in my pocket, so why not tweak those who are saying the Tea Party message is floundering and fading away?

Why not mess with the DC crowd? I also like that Trump is taking on third rail issues. Why not send a few stalking horses out there to keep the MSM and pundits guessing?

The most important goal is to make Obama a one term president.

Fallon on April 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Fortunat

ely we aren’t relying on Buy Danish for a sense of humor.
By the way I “Buy American” including my butter cookies.

Done That on April 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Uh, fortunately we’re not relying on YOU for a sense of humor. Yuk Yuk.

Buy Danish on April 2, 2011 at 7:47 AM

See, no humor, thanks for proving my point – sorry you had to run out “Bye Danish!”

Done That on April 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I think it’s rather obvious that Bachmann is Romney’s stalking horse. I also think that Palin and her people get that.

I suspect that one of the things Bachmann was told was that if she ever wanted a Senate seat, she had to play ball with the Establishment, and the Establishment’s aim was to kill off Palin.

Bachmann’s campaign has Mitten’s fingerprints all over it, unfortunately. However, I suspect that one thing you will see is a huge difference between the level of grass roots involvement between Palin’s troops and Bachmann’s. And even Romney’s. The GOP is going to be surprised at the level of Palin’s support, given the fact that they have been taking all these early polls with deadly earnest, and they shouldn’t have been.

victor82 on April 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Note to rich Republicans:
Do a Google search for something called the “Mason-Dixon Line”. The one sure way to ensure that every conservative living South of that line is completely demotivated to go to the polls come November next is to nominate someone like Mitt Romney. You’d be better off saving your money for next time or investing it in Brazilian oil futures.

Knott Buyinit on April 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I like Bachmann but much prefer Palin.

There again, I voted for Huck in the primaries so what do I know.

Hmmm, but it really was between him and Shrillary, so I don’t beat myself up too bad over that choice.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Er, let me clarify…they were the frontrunners in their respective parties at the time from what I remember…should have said it was really a choice between him and McCain and Huck seemed to be the more Conservative of the two.

In hindsight, it was six of one…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

This race is over the moment Chris Christie steps into it or Palin endorses someone like Haley Barbor.

cpaulus on April 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

As much as I’m loathe to admit it, I think Trump’s the only one who can beat O Duce.

Rae on April 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM

victor82 on April 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Once again, sharp and correct analysis.

Throw whatever you want at Palin. The way is hers, and she will find it.

rrpjr on April 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I get flubs and mispoken words, but on TWO seperate occasions, she talked about New Hampshire being the home of the “shot heard around the world” and New Hampshire being the home of the battles of Lexington and Concord.

I dont think she could get 2% in NH.

swamp_yankee on April 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Oops

redridinghood on April 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM

In a primary, today, I would vote for Rand Paul before Michelle Bachmann. At the moment I would vote for Pawlenty before either. The primary would have to get awfully grim for me to vote for either Huckabee or Romney. We do NOT need squish in the White House. I am tempted to say Newt might actually be the best for the job considering he’s been around long enough to be aware of the dangers we face with “Muslim Extremists” (90% of ‘em around the world) as well as the dangers inherent in our fiscal picture. The other choices are a little parochial, methinks.

{^_^}

herself on April 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Done That on April 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Oooh, you slay me./

Buy Danish on April 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

unseen on April 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM

The claim that Governor Romney ended his term 47th in job creation is claim is contradicted, or refuted, depending on how you look at it, when you look at the actual statistics provided by the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics which you can see when you click on the linked footnotes:

The unemployment rate had doubled from January 2001 to January 2003 when he took office, and was continuing to increase at a fast rate. He implemented pro-growth policies and programs. By summer the increase in unemployment had stopped and by fall unemployment was dropping. While Massachusetts was 50th, or nearly the worst in the nation in the increase in unemployment rates the year that just ended when he took office, he got it down to 38th place his first year in office. The unemployment rate continued to rapidly drop for nearly two years, hit a plateau for about a year and a half, then started dropping again at the end of his term of office (see chart below). The year he left office (2007), the trend in Massachusetts’ unemployment rate was the 11th best in the nation, a big improvement from the 50th place it was in the year he won office.

Conservative Samizdat on April 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Romney is a RINO to start with.

And bias against Mormonism makes him unelectable.

I have no such bias but it is out there and will be subtly exploited by both republican and democrat opponents.

Sad but true.

Sherman1864 on April 2, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Chick is out of control. I would love to see a photo of her when she was 25…I’ll be she was freaky-hot.

Jaibones on April 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

A mile wide and an inch deep…

Gohawgs on April 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Jaibones on April 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Why do some people have trouble using their brains to think and not their… um… “Little Elvis”?

Fallon on April 3, 2011 at 9:11 AM

You go, girl!

golfer1 on April 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Good. Not a fan of Romney, but if Palin has the sense to bow out I won’t miss G, P or B.

Browncoatone on April 5, 2011 at 5:30 AM