Intel analyst to CNN host: “You’re just carrying water for Mr. Obama”

posted at 10:12 am on April 1, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

No, this isn’t an April Fool’s Day joke, although one could be forgiven for thinking that they’ve landed in Bizarro World in watching this interview of Michael Scheuer on CNN yesterday. Newsbusters has the whole transcript, which you will want to read in full, but one particular exchange had my head swimming — and it had nothing to do with anyone carrying water:

CHETRY: But they’re very careful to say it’s the American-led West. That NATO is now fully taking over the operation.

SCHEUER: Well, that –

CHETRY: Yes, our firepower was used in the beginning, but that this is a coalition that includes Arab states.

SCHEUER: That may fool some Americans. It’s not going to fool the people who sympathize with bin Laden and other Islamists. This is really a U.S.-led operation. And you talk about Arab states that are involved — the Arab states are tyrannies that are hated by their own people. This is — this is a piece of theater set up by Mrs. Clinton and Mr. McCain and the bipartisan group that loves to intervene abroad. In the Muslim world, this is Americans killing Muslims again and it looks like it’s for oil.

CHETRY: I just want to ask. Are you trying to have both ways in saying that, OK, these are tyrannies that hate their own people, well, that’s why we’re helping because in Libya, it was the people that wanted Gadhafi out, that they were tired of it. So, weren’t we then supporting Islamic democracy, I guess you could say, in these countries where they’re tired of totalitarian rule?

SCHEUER: If we were supporting Islamic democracy, that would be one thing. But if you listen to Mrs. Clinton and especially rather crazed Ms. Rice at the U.N., this is all about democracy in a world where democracy is not going to take hold.

It should be noted that Scheuer was no fan of the war in Iraq, either, mainly for the same reasons. But Kiran Chetry’s sudden devotion to “Islamic democracy” is noteworthy, even apart from being an oxymoron. She seems to mean “Arab democracy,” but even that only makes sense if the rebels are some sort of known force for democracy of any sort — say, like the Green Revolution in Iran. No one knows who or what the Libyan rebels represent.

And on that point, there was a lot more reason to depose Saddam Hussein for “Arab democracy.” The Kurds in the north (not Arabs, of course) had already established a stable representative government, and Iraqis both inside and outside of the country had organized a government-in-exile structure that gave us a much clearer indication that democracy was a viable endgame. For all of that, I don’t recall Kiran Chetry defending the Iraq war on behalf of “Islamic democracy,” or Christine Romans, either, despite Saddam Hussein’s arguably more despotic and cruel regime and our twelve-year standoff with Baghdad under his rule.

All of this goes to Scheuer’s point about carrying water — which is probably what embarrassed Romans into terminating the interview.

Update: Fixed Newsbusters link.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But Kiran Chetry’s sudden devotion to “Islamic democracy” is noteworthy

I dont see why. She’s paid to be pretty while reading. She definitely succeeds at that.

Go RBNY on April 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

hmmm scheuer… scheuer… ahh, that one.

go away.

sesquipedalian on April 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

LMAO!

She’s just knashing her teeth at the end!

Tim_CA on April 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

hehehe… we need more of that!

She was shocked, shocked I say!

RedbonePro on April 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM

WOW, Romans locked up all 4 brakes on that interview at the end there. WHEW!Good thing they went to commercial so fast, otherwise, we might have heard the “hissss” and growl from Romans. Did you see Chetry look at Romans like WTF as Romans killed the interview? Kind of a faint “Wha, we’re stopping NOW?”

44Magnum on April 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM

The Arab spring will turn icicly wintry in no time.

Obama and his will have lots of egg on their faces.

These two bimbos represent CNN to perfection.

Schadenfreude on April 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM

CNN carrying water for Obummer, I’m shocked! Has this happened before?

IowaWoman on April 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

LOL

So, wanting to put your own dictator in place of the current dictator is “democracy”.

Got it!

ButterflyDragon on April 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I’m no fan of Obama, the current action in Libya or even CNN… but let’s not forget this is the same man who said saving all of Israel was not worth a single American life. He’s an isolationist, pure and simple.

Sayan Neviot on April 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Well, it appears that Kiran has now imbibed enough of the CNN Koolaid to join the Insane Obama Propagandists Collective. Too bad; I don’t remember her as being particularly left-leaning or nuts (BIRM) back when she worked at Fox.

cwilson on April 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I don’t care, Obama is awesome.
/CNN talking heads.

ted c on April 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM

“How dare you question my fellow sistas and then insult my love for President Jesus Unicorn! This interview is over! Harumph!”

Django on April 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Sayan Neviot on April 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

He’s an isolationist when it comes to overthrowing Islamic tyrannies like Iran or supporting the Jewish state of Israel but when it comes to backing communist tyrants in Honduras or supporting Islamic mobs in Egypt and Libya he’s not an isolationist.

Django on April 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Whatever he is, he’s spot on about whoever he’s talking to. LMBO.

DanaSmiles on April 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Whatever else can be said, the gal on the right in the clip – the one wearing what appears to be a clown suit – has appalling fashion sense.

Mason on April 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

hmmm scheuer… scheuer… ahh, that one.

go away.

sesquipedalian on April 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Wow, sesquipedalian carrying water for CNN. Time to go visit Claude Rains’ grave again!

Del Dolemonte on April 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM

We need more people like Scheuer to stand up to MSM and call them out on their bias.

bw222 on April 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Islamic Democracy is a great idea, except that nothing within Islam promotes any kind of democratic ideology. So the “hopefuls” can keep hoping, but that is about as close as any Islamic nation will ever get to democracy.

Lawrence on April 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I don’t get it. When Michael Scheuer pointed out that the lady was carrying water for the administration, she really got offended. Did she think it was a secret?

morganfrost on April 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Sorry if I don’t join in on the Scheuer love, but all this guy seems to do is b*tch about our methods while never offering any alternatives.

Unless you have an actual alternative, S.T.F.U.

/That’s all.

Machiavelli Hobbes on April 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

All else aside… he dropped a rotten egg at her feet, and it was lmao time.

RalphyBoy on April 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM

“Two separate issues”.
Our bombs are purchased on credit from China.
Her grand children will be paying toward this loan.
That’s immoral!

The 2012 campaign has already begun.

KyserS on April 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Sayan Neviot on April 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I seem to remember that also. He’s not exactly someone easy to cheer for.

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Michael Scheuer is anti-Israel (and quite possibly anti-Jew) conspiracy theorist hack.

illustro on April 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I have to agree with sesquipedalian on this one. Last I remember Scheuer’s views on Israel and the Jewish lobby were to the left of Jimmy Carter. Glad he is humiliating the MSM here but if you research this guy you will not find him someone to make common cause with.

YehuditTX on April 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Chetry: So, weren’t we then supporting Islamic democracy, I guess you could say, in these countries where they’re tired of totalitarian rule?
SCHEUER: …this is all about democracy in a world where democracy is not going to take hold.

He has that part right, weather he understands why or not might be in question. So let me take a crack at it –
Islam is totalitarian to the nth degree. You are literally a slave to the will of Allah. You cannot make any distinction in Islam between the religion, the culture, the law, the politics, the ideology or the government: in theory or in practice for one simple reason, Islam itself forbids it. So any distinctions we might wish upon Islam are in fact MOOT, and actually quite silly on our part. Democracy is a SIN. It is beyond me why nobody gets this.

Pole-Cat on April 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Question: How much USA treasure and lives should we spend to support Israel? Because, if the answer is every last drop, well I’m out. As an ally, I do believe we should support our allies, but throwing out the “You Hate Israel” card is becoming as common as Sharpton dropping the Race Card.

j_galt on April 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Sure, Scheuer is an a-hole.

But, he is dead on in his critique of the Libya operation and of the “reporter”.

mockmook on April 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM

U know Kiran is knows better and I don’t think she agree’s with CNN on most the stuff she says, she’s just trying to keep her job, PERIOD!!
I watched her when she was on Fox, she’s a very smart and evn minded person.

mmcnamer1 on April 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM

One fool fools other fools.

News at 10:59.

profitsbeard on April 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM

hmmm scheuer… scheuer… ahh, that one.

go away.

sesquipedalian on April 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

From that article. Sounds about right, what with that gun running scheme the Gubmit seems to have been fiddlin’ with. I seem to have heard others very recently say exactly the same thing now that Scheuer did then in 2009.

An instant GB classic, from Beck’s apocalyptic fretting about massive civil unrest which he prays will be peaceful to Scheuer’s warning that concerns about cross-border gun dealing are a pretext to repealing the Second Amendment

Big John on April 1, 2011 at 11:57 PM

This guy was the toast of Big Media during W’s term, and because of his consistency they suddenly think he’s a whack-job. And I’m sure racist, too. Because he’s criticizing our clean, articulate, historic! black President.

holygoat on April 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Direct hit!

Sherman1864 on April 2, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Sure, Scheuer is an a-hole.

mockmook on April 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM

If he is an a-hole, then I am happily one as well!

I am an out of the closet a-hola!

Ahhh . . . .

Sherman1864 on April 2, 2011 at 5:54 AM

The smile on his face when he pwns those propagandist Barbies is priceless!

Rae on April 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

It’s been forever since I watched CNN by choice…cannot believe the wardrobe, rudeness to the guest, lack of composure and defensive body language demontrated by the two chicks (I think one’s lack of professionalism encourages the other, and vice versa.)

Of course, on my last job, our most incompetent supervisor was a former division head from CNN. So I guess CNN is succeeding at lowering professional standards worldwide, one employee at a time.

I wonder if Ted Turner ever foresaw that. To me, it’s the natural result of an undiluted liberal business environment. At least, after watching these two bimbos, I’m pretty convinced.

rwenger43 on April 3, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Just watched the entire clip from the CNN site. The barbies demonstrate once again that just because you are an information broker doesn’t mean you are an information owner.

These people are the most enlightened people in their own universe. And they like to keep it that way. “Stay out of my ivory tower! I don’t need your filthy stinking opposing viewpoints getting all over my clean sofa!”

rwenger43 on April 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Is there really such a creature as “Islamic democracy”?

I see it as an oxymoron since candidates for office will effectively be vetted by Mullahs or some powerful clerical body and any constitution stands ultimately under Islamic law – can’t contradict the Koran. In particular there will be no true free speech, and there will be serious punishments for blasphemy, apostasy or insulting the name of the wonderful and great prophet Muhammad. It’s really a joke and the US and others are heavily committed to helping out, at great expense and risk, with this joke.

Chessplayer on April 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Was it the arms crossed that gave her defensive attitude away?

Give me more every day exposing the biased media.

dthorny on April 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM

bw222 on April 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM

O RLY??

Reaps on April 5, 2011 at 1:57 AM

YehuditTX on April 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I don’t know. I won’t say I’ve seen much from him, but he strikes me as more of an isolationist right-winger (which for the last decade has become a bit of an oxymoron)

Reaps on April 5, 2011 at 8:09 AM