Evangelical leaders wonder: Will Donald Trump be the social con choice?

posted at 8:14 pm on March 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

They’re just being nice in saying this, right? Trump becoming the social con candidate is like … Soros becoming the fiscal con candidate.

Or is there some sort of Biblical resonance to Birtherism that I’ve been missing? This would make sense then, I guess.

Some key national Evangelical leaders tell The Brody File that Donald Trump “may find support among social conservatives” if he runs for President and there’s a “growing curiosity” about him within Evangelical circles…

Ralph Reed, one of the top GOP strategists in the country and Chairman of the Faith and Freedom Coalition tells The Brody File, “There is a nascent and growing curiosity in the faith community about Trump. Evangelicals will like his pro-life and pro-marriage stances, combined with his business record and high-wattage celebrity all but guarantee he will get a close look from social conservatives as well as other Republican primary voters.” Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council is curious to hear more as well. “Given Donald Trump’s background in the gambling industry and his flamboyancy one would not think he would be a fit with Evangelical voters. However, given the wide open field of candidates, strong statements that Trump has recently made on core social issues combined with an overarching desire to see a new occupant in the White House, he may find support among social conservatives.”…

One prominent national evangelical leader told me that, “At this point Evangelicals are having a hard time trying to figure him out but they are intrigued.” Another prominent evangelical Leader tells The Brody File, “Although Donald Trump is immensely colorful and entertaining it’s difficult to take him seriously at this point. He has however gotten on evangelicals radar due to his pleasantly surprising comments on life and traditional marriage. Very few people in our circles really know him so it’s difficult to have an accurate read on him as a man. He is at the very least refreshing in his candor.”

Alternate headline: “Ralph Reed, Tony Perkins eager for guest shots on ‘The Apprentice.’” As I’m reading this piece, I’m picturing the look on the face of poor Newt Gingrich, who, despite pandering shamelessly to Christian voters, continues to trail not only Huckabee and Palin but even Mitt Romney among evangelicals. And now Trump, who’s also on his third wife, is suddenly getting back pats from evangelical leaders? What’s a former Speaker of the house got to do to earn some social con cred?

Have a look at New York magazine’s comparison of Trump’s stance on social issues circa 1999 with his stance today. Trump ’99 sounds a lot like Rudy Giuliani, albeit more enthusiastic for universal health care. Trump ’11 sounds like Rick Santorum. If Rudy suddenly decided he was pro-life and anti-gay marriage, would he have a shot at winning Iowa? It’s not too late! (Well, yeah, it is.)

Comments

The Donald on O’Reilly “this president bows more and kisses more arses than any other…and the Nobel peace prize guy goes into more countries…” or somehting to this effect. He sure is entertaining, the NYC man.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Casino-owning, mistress-having, beauty pageant-having Evangelical leader. Maybe 2012 is the end.

SouthernGent on March 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

‘Evangelical leaders wonder: Will Donald Trump be the social con choice?’

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

“I believe in marriage. That’s why I’ve been married three times.”

Surprsing comments like that?

Wethal on March 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Trump is having some hellacious effect on the media and Obama camp, I presume. He is inartful and hyperbolic on many key issues–China being one of them. I am surprised he’s as hyperbolic as he is with all of his success, but he’s the boss and he can be as hyperbolic as he wants to be.

ted c on March 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Dude. Wake up.

mojo on March 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

like … Soros becoming the fiscal con candidate.

…becoming the old America, anti-socialist, anti-one-world candidate.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Well with Romney, Huckabee, and Newt he doesn’t have a lot of competition among male candidates does he? He really isn’t any worse than they are and at least he has balls.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Just some guys trying to be relevant one year out…

Gohawgs on March 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I like Trump. He is saying things NO ONE in the GOP is saying, so he makes them look positively Centrist!

I can’t wait till the campaign gears up and starts robbing The Destroyer of political oxygen.

I like TPaw, Bachmann, Palin, Trump, for starters. But I don’t care who gets the nomination as long as they are FEARLESS, CONSERVATIVE and can win!!!!

PappyD61 on March 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I tell myself that people who get married several times really do believe in marriage. They can’t seem to live the law of chastity, but they value it. And they believe in love. I think it’s better than living together, which is completely cynical.

I don’t think Trump is likely to win… but hey he is sure picking up the slack in confronting Obama on the contrversies that the Whitehouse thought they successfully marginalized.

Kudos Donald, for not being afraid to ask the crazy questions, we all really want the answers to, but don’t want to sound crazy.

petunia on March 31, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Trump is the ONLY man in the field, except for maybe Sarah Palin.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Hahaha. Oh, wait. Are they serious?

lilredhen on March 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM

There you go again. – RR

You are like the intimidated sheeple towns people in The Emperor’s New Clothes. Are you trying to get in good with Charles Johnson?

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Hmmmm… well he does admit that his views have changed over time as he has learned more. Gotta give him that.

But going for the Religious SoCons? You need about 20 years without fudging to get approval from that sector.

The Traditionalists will be glad that he has come around, and expect him to now stay the course.

SoCons are a tough group to court, save the spendthrift sub-faction of the religious SoCons, they always want to spend other people’s money for them ‘the right way’. Can’t really call those SoCons, though, they are just a different stripe of Progressive but the easiest to please… and I can’t see Trump courting them.

ajacksonian on March 31, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Underestimate the Donald at your own peril.

DFCtomm on March 31, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Trump makes me think of Patton. Zero’Reilly makes me think of the private he slapped.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM

you never know how crazy someone is until they reveal their true politics. who knew Trump was so crazy

Opinionnation on March 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, dragging the Mistress everywhere is going to embarrass her terribly. Newt doesn’t care. I think the guy borders on abusive husband.

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Trump could be the most media savvy man alive. He’s not seriously running what he’s doing is getting a lot of publicity and stirring crap up. It’s all win-win for him and for Republicans. He can spout craziness and demand answers to questions no one else will ask.

hboulware on March 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Trump is steely as you please
He may be Samurai Japanese

PercyB on March 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM

who knew Trump was so crazy

Opinionnation on March 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, cause asking Obama to do what Eisenhower did, what McCain did, and what Bush did is just so CRAZY!

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM

My guess is that he’s a stalking horse put up to it by the Democrats for the purpose of fragmenting the conservative vote. He comes off as a caricature of the left’s portrayal of conservatives.

Buddahpundit on March 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Trump makes me think of Patton.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM

wow.just.wow..

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM

These aren’t the Evangelicals I grew up with.

SouthernGent on March 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM

17. Amb. John Bolton 53 %
18. Gov. Mitch Daniels 53 %
19. Gov. Haley Barbour 50 %
20. Rep. Ron Paul 48 %

John the Libertarian on March 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I LIKE TRUMP

It’s about time someone spoke truth to power.
Hope he can keep it up.

EZnSF on March 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I’m willing to give him a chance, that’s for sure. He’s shown he is the BRAVEST of ALL the current potential candidates. NO ONE else is brave enough to call O on his crap about the “certificate that shall not be named”. This alone makes me truly give him a look. His stance on abortion, gay marriage, interstate insurance, pointing out that the Libya rebels have Al-Q links, being agaisnt the GZ mosque, AND his defense of Wall Street — I LOVED him schooling Bill last night after Bill called them “Wall St. Weasles” and Trump said “Let’s call them ‘people’”; that goes for others who call them “fat cats” (I’m looking at you, Populist Palin) — whew, it’s all coming together! Oh, and he’s polling well (that is important, after all). Where does he stand on global warming? He must be against it since he’s an economy guy and gw is an economy-killer. Yes, he could be more realistic about the illegals already here and more articulate on gay marriage… but, I’m watching him!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 8:39 PM

wow.just.wow..

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Well, I may have to change that to Sherman, if he burns the Kenyan Psychopath to the ground.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Y’all c’mon Trumps strategy is brilliant. He’s playing the media for fools they are lapping this up and look like idiots. They want to ask O all these questions but can’t. What better way to have someone do the dirty work. Not to mention for a whole lot of people Trump is a huge name. He’s not going to fracture anyone what he will do is spill a lot of ink and the longer he lasts the crazier the libs will be. I’m telling you win-win!

hboulware on March 31, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I think it is great so far, he is making the MSM cover him on topics they would rather not cover. It will open some eyes, I am guessing. I do not think he has a chance but I sure would love him in the debates. I want a very diverse crowd and as someone mentioned above, I want fearless conservatives to answer boldly.

bluemarlin on March 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Oh, Allah, yes I think you have been surprised by how many people will support a “birther” candidate! You and Ed have been runing scared from this issue ever since the very beginning. You thought you could help marginalize it, and oyu are shocked it hasn’t worked. Yes, Allah, there is a birth certificate issue, and believe it or not, people ARE concerned about it!

It is very heartening for me, a looooong time “birther”, to see Trump gain such traction and buzz.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

“Trump ’12 — Because the Constitution Prevents Arnold Schwarzenegger From Runnnig For President”

Look at Trump’s past. When he throws out political soundbites, it’s because it’s where he thinks the public is headed. At best, he’s a good weather vane to show the the current key political issues still lean in the conservatives’ direction. But if they started going the other way, you’d see Trump at the head of that parade, too.

If, miracle of miracles, The Donald actually ran, was elected and faced his first situation where he had the choice of using up political capital on a position where he was aligned against both the Democrats and a hostile media or giving in to maintain his viability among the bi-coastal crowd, including and especially the big media, do you really think Trump’s going to stand firm with the flyover countty voters?

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM

His Trumpness pick pieces of AP out of his stool…..

frizzbee on March 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM

there’s a “growing curiosity” about him within Evangelical circles…

Heh, I’m agnostic, and I have a growing curiosity interest too.

petefrt on March 31, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Trump’s got stones in a race that is absent them, save for Cain and the women. In politics, there’s a lot of gravity that goes with saying what a lot of people think but aren’t hearing from their leaders – that’s a great deal of the ‘Cuda’s appeal, and it’s what fueling Trump right now.

I’m with Palin until she says she’s not running, but he’s right behind her and Cain in my book.

/Palinatbat
//Cainondeck
///Trumpinthehole ;)

elcapt on March 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Donald Trump’s brilliant and hilarious
testimony before the Senate International Security Subcommittee, about the United Nations, July 22, 2005.

Emperor Norton on March 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Evangelical leaders wonder: Will Donald Trump be the social con choice?
=================

I’m not feel’n it!(sarc).

canopfor on March 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Gotta agree with you here. It’s become a legit issue, to the point where folks who still cower from addressing it are doing us a disfavor.

petefrt on March 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I don’t think ANY of them would except for maybe Sarah Palin.

Gutless weasel is just another way of saying Republican these days. At least he is saying something now which is true for him and Sarah Palin, thats it. The rest are hiding.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Okay…so lets look at the Donald.

The man knows business. We are in a fiscal crisis. Remember when the Donald offered to go and fix New Orleans after Katrina?

He’s getting older. He’s basically done everything. He owns a LOT of land. He see’s that right now, he isn’t in a bad position to maybe WIN this thing. He probably thinks to himself….I’m WAY BETTER at Business than the rest of the crowd.

Social conservative? Maybe. Looking at what he COULD accomplish, like fixing the country of it’s fiscal problems for a man of his background…might just be like a Heroin fix he can’t pass up.

Celebrity yes. But so far, the man has produced. Let’s see. Maybe just maybe the Donald might be the man we need.

Ego? Oh yeah. But I wouldn’t want to be a senator or congressman and tell him I know more about business than he does. OR China. He doesn’t need them. But again, he doesn’t like failure.

I will wait to see if this is some celebrity push on his part, but some part of me wants to tell the Donald to go for it.

Social issues be DAMNED for now. He can deal with them as they come up, but concerning fiscal issues…I don’t care what governor is running. I seem to be thinking…maybe the Donald.

Maybe it’s a scam. Maybe not.

Scoreboard44 on March 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

He either owes big bucks to Soros or Soros has pictures of him in bed BJClintoning another Donald. Is he acting like a wingnut to paint the GOP as the carzy party?

bayview on March 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Trump makes me think of Patton.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM
wow.just.wow..

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Heckle’s got to be some sort of gimmick poster, trolling us for the lulz, right?

……….right?

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Buddahpundit on March 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Stalking horse but IMHO for Republicans. Taking the D’rat “closed issues” and bring them round again, especially with a grin, brings those battles to LSM again. Go Donald, go. Get that exposure. All the better for the next deal.

Caststeel on March 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Just saw the rest of his O’Reilly interview and liked the sound of someone looking for some a$$ to kick, and I think he would actually do it. I need to hear more, and I hope he isn’t playing us.

silvernana on March 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM

petefrt on March 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM

It’s not a legit issue. It’s a fringe issue that a joke candidate is using to get publicity for himself…..and his TV show, of course.

It’s not as if this birther garbage is new. It was alllll known in 2008. It’s not as if all of those indies and moderates who voted for Obama in 2008 are suddenly going to go “hey, wait a minute……what ABOUT that birth certificate?!” in 2012. Especially because Donald f’ing Trump said it should matter.

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Right!..Or drugs..:)

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

He would never get my vote BECAUSE he’s a birther.
Luckily my top 3-Pawlenty, Cain, and Palin-seem to be immune to the conspiracies.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Trump makes me think of Patton.

Heckle on March 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM
wow.just.wow..

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM

……….right?

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Not really being fair. The original quote mentioned “Patton” Trump and the “Private” O’Reilly which means Donald handled the Obama-apologist on FoxNews at 7pm quite handily.

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Scoreboard44 on March 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

If one thing he’s not, it’s a scam, IMO. Right or wrong, this guy, the Donald is real. What you see is what you get, warts and all.

That, among other things, is what distinguishing him from other candidates and why I’d take a serious look at him for POTUS.

Heh, just for openers, I’d probably take him over Huckerbee.

petefrt on March 31, 2011 at 9:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Your middle one isn’t immune to foot-in-the-mouth disease. He’s over. Religious bigotry doesn’t sell unless you limit it to Satanists.

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Umm. No.

Sincerely,
Strong Social Conservative

MikeknaJ on March 31, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

*facepalm*

Dire Straits on March 31, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I missed that-we’re getting ready to move next week-what did he say?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

It is a “legit issue” because LOTS of people are worried about it. THAT — alone — makes it an issue. Run a way scared, hide your head in the sand, rush to declare yourself not crazy, it doesn’t matter. This needs to be resolved.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

So, just hypothetically, if Trump should get the nomination, would you stay home on 11/6 because “he’s a birther”, or are you just talking about the primaries?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM

The guy who has been married three times and cheated on both of his first two wives is the “pro-marriage” candidate? If so, we’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Other than calling Obama a limp-wristed nancy boy on TV several times a week, I’m hard-pressed to see where Trump is anything but than a RINO.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Well, this is true. Of these four, Trump might be my choice. Sad as that is to admit.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I missed that-we’re getting ready to move next week-what did he say?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I believe he gave a response in a Q/A forum that he would never appoint a Muslim to his Cabinet.

His Dukakis in the tank moment, the “Dean scream”. Bye.
We need someone intelligent enough to handle firebomb questions like that appropriately.

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I really miss the old Aslan’s Girl….the one that used to comment before you jumped on the ‘birther’ bandwagon. i really enjoyed your comments.
*looks sad*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I can’t believe anyone really is considering this jerk.

Bugler on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I don’t think ANY of them would except for maybe Sarah Palin.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

The problem is it’s schtick. It’s been part of Trump’s schtick since he made a spash in the New York City media creating the Grand Hyatt hotel on 42nd Street back in the late 1970s. If you have all the bravado in the world and show no sign of shame or embarrassment when you make a fool of yourself — as Donald has done hundreds of times in the past 35 years — the media will lap it up, as will some segments ofbthe public who either don’t care or have had better things to do than pay attention to Trump’s forays into other areas.

I know a President Trump would be as steadfast on the conservative principles he’s now exposing if the going got tough as Arnold was when the going got tough in California after he lost his education reform battle. And if people want to go all out for his combative style right now, well, folks also love the combative style of the spouse of the unsuccessful 2010 GOP candidate for Senate in Connecticut. And just like Vince, there’s some frailty to Trump’s act, but there’s also a lot of scripted show that’s no more real than the WWE. Or Barack Obama’s leadership qualities.

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Trump is all ego, narcissism and has no real politcal accomplishments.

Who in their right mind would vote for a candidate like that?

Oh, wait…

Bruno Strozek on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

alt, I’ve been a “birther” since 11/08 when I first started to really pay attention to the issue. Ed and Allah avoid this issue like the plague so you didn’t know I was one. But, I’ve been here posting on every “birther” thread Ed and Allah did post (albeit few and far between), just do a search on my name. Back in those days, there were only a handful of posters who were “birthers”; our numbers here have grown by leaps and bounds and that’s with some names who no longer post (I’m thinking of Romeo13) This is the “old” me ;)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

That comment alone would make me vote for him. ‘Bout time someone calls it like it is. But, then, I already like him :)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:26 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I guess we are close to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

OT but has this been on HA today?

Republicans on the House Administration Committee want to shore up voter registration rules in the wake of a Colorado study that found as many as 5,000 non-citizens in the state took part in last year’s election.

CWforFreedom on March 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

The problem is it’s schtick.

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

And Huckabee’s folksy nonsense isn’t? Or Flip-Flop Romney, or Newt with his ‘I did her for my country’?

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM

OT but has this been on HA today?

CWforFreedom on March 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

CWforFreedom:Not sure,but heres a site for ya!:)
===================================================

Right On Colorado

canopfor on March 31, 2011 at 9:35 PM

More like the fool’s choice.

lexhamfox on March 31, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Evangelicals? Aren’t some of them believing, and hoping, the world ends on May 21 this year? Evangelicals and cultists are opposite sides of the same crazy coin.

keep the change on March 31, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Agreed. That ship sailed in 2008. The guy will have already served one term by the time this potentially comes up again. It might be wrong to ignore it — I have no opinion on the matter — but it’s going to be ignored. At least by the candidates who want to be taken seriously by the electorate.

I don’t know why he doesn’t just produce it either. Maybe he enjoys using it as tool against our side to paint us all as kooks. Maybe he is protecting someone or something that has nothing at all to do with him personally (one theory I’ve read is that Obama is not really his father but rather that freak show Frank Marshall Davis). Whatever the case, it doesn’t render him ineligible to serve anyway b/c he has birthright citizenship by virtue of the fact that his mother was a U.S. citizen. If McCain was eligible to run then so was Obama. Case closed.

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM

It is a “legit issue” because LOTS of people are worried about it.-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM

No, “LOTS” of people are not worried about it. Most people think it is nothing more than….well, what it actually is, a kooky conspiracy theory. The only people REALLY concerned with are 1) crazies, who tend to believe dopey conspiracy theories to begin with and 2) people who have such a pathological hatred of Obama that they’re willing to believe even bizarre garbage like birtherism just because it’s something that paints the man in a negative light.

Some liberals did the SAME thing back during Bush’s years, with 9/11 Trutherism. I will do the same to you what I did to Truthers back then, who tried to convince me that was a “real” issue that “LOTS of people” were concerned about: laugh in your face.

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I don’t care how many times a candidate has been married or if he’s a evangelical, lutheran or catholic.

All I want is a hard @ss, motucka with big brass ones, who won’t take any sh!t from commies, kookie moozies, libtards or other politicians, won’t melt when the hairspray media questions him, knows business and will get in the face of any one who tries to BS him.

Trump runs I’ll vote for him.

Alden Pyle on March 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I guess we are close to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

All the more reason the Cuda needs to run. Then the choice is clear, at least for me. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I missed that-we’re getting ready to move next week-what did he say?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM

His Dukakis in the tank moment, the “Dean scream”. Bye.

Marcus on March 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

He put that a little indelicately. He should have said that he would not have a muslim in his cabinet if they put islam before the government of the USA, as any ‘good’ muslim would.

slickwillie2001 on March 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM

NoLeftTurn on March 31, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I hope she does, because it will be pretty thin pickings if she doesn’t.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 9:57 PM

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Schtick, but my guess is Huck’s ability to maintain his schtick in the face of ongoing ridicule will be nowhere near the level of Trump’s. The man can walk away from millions in debt and via his bravado, convince people it never happened.

While it may be fun to have a presidential possibility treating all his interviews as if he’s on Monday Night Raw, the risk is Trump takes the debate into non-essential cul de sacs that may be fun to fumigate about, but take the focus away from Obama and his administration’s main screw-ups.

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM

First the God delusion, now the Trump delusion.

Tzetzes on March 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

WE NEED A LEADER WITH CAJONES. TRUMP/PALIN, OR PALIN/TRUMP the
Flyover is sick of “intellectual” elites voting present always against the USA. We need practical, common sense leaders with leadership, management and experience and love of this exceptional capitalist country. Sarah and the Donald would make all of us and Patton Proud.

I am not a racist on March 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

jon1979 on March 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I guess I have a hard time seeing which of those gentlemen are going to challenge Obama in any serious way on his screw-ups. The only one who has done that so far is Sarah Palin and she has been attacked by those guys for her trouble.

I will take what I can get at this point.

sharrukin on March 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Vyce on March 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I guess I missed where Trutherism caused 11 states (and counting) to pass laws in response to it. When I said “lots” I was referring to polls that show sizeable percentages of the public questioning O’s “story” about his birth as well as people in power like the 11 states that going to actually verify candidates on ballots. If this isn’t an issue, care to explain the actions of these 11 states? Gee, for a non-issue, things sure are happening with it!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Vyce:

Blah, blah blah.

zzzz

I don’t tell you what issues to care about, and I would appreciate the same consideration from you. You are lying to yourself by insisting that the birther issue is “fringe.” I don’t need you to lie to me, too.

The thread isn’t about birth certificates, or the lack of them. It’s about what evangelicals might think of presidential candidate Donald Trump. Answer: not much. As a lesser of evils, he might get their vote. As a first choice, not too many will favor him.

JannyMae on March 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Nope. This one isn’t very bright and has stated before that if her tender sensibilities are offended she would vote third party or stay home.

Like I said before, if Obama gets a second term, these are the people you have to thank.

kim roy on March 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Fact is, Trump is gaining traction with this issue. I say let him run with it. Obama will at some point be forced to address this issue if Trump gets far enough in the primaries. The newsies think they are making a mockery of Trump, but in fact they are playing into his hands. Nobody thinks Trump is a stupid person. He clearly (based on the MSNBC and Fox discussions) knows this issue very well and can talk circles around anybody. He’s going to raise a lot of attention about it and this will end up hurting Obama.

fossten on April 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Trump playing the birth certificate is just icing on the cake. The cake was him smacking down China. That’s what sold me. Nobody in the Republican candidates has any balls to say what he says. Nobody.

Pawlenty = duller than dull. the ultimate dork candidate

Newt = thinks we need to join hands and go green while endorsing rinos to win independent voters. Smartest politician in the room but puts winning over principle.

Palin = still love her.. haters gonna hate

Huckabee = really? do people really love this preacher? go commute some more criminals huck.. and invite them over to your house for dinner since they are so safe and all.

Romney = loves to be loved by everyone and can’t lead worth squat. Fake of the highest order. Loved by the Bush clan and Rove. Nuff said.

(christie) = so far so good fat man. You might win us over yet. stay tough.

Cain = as long as Cain doesn’t go “hip hop” like Steele thinks we should.. then I am all aboard the Cain Train.

I could go on and on…

for me its:

1. Palin
2. Trump
3. Christie
4. Cain
5. Rubio (i can dream can’t I?)
6. Paul Ryan

Everyone else can stuff it.

johnnyboy on April 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Did any of you both reading the “comparison” between Trump 1999 and 2011 that Allahpundit had in the article above? It’s very interesting and shows just how much of a weasel Trump really is. I wouldn’t trust him to be in any office little alone the President. Did anybody remember that he wants to build a $300M ballroom in the White House? How’s that for fiscal policy? Anyway read the article below and see how Trump lies:

DAILY INTEL
Donald Trump vs. Donald Trump: The Difference a Decade Makes
• 2/16/11 at 3:20 PM
• 17Comments
Donald Trump has been turning heads over the past week for declaring, seemingly out of the blue, that he’s now pro-life after years of supporting abortion rights. In a coincidental stroke of good luck, this philosophical change of heart took place just in time for him to explore (or at least pretend to explore) a run for the Republican Party presidential nomination. But abortion isn’t the only issue on which Trump has lurched rightward over the years. See what else has changed between 1999, when Trump spent months looking into a run for president as a third-party candidate, and now.
Donald Trump, 1999 Donald Trump, 2011
Party ID In October of 1999, switched from the Republican Party to the Independence Party to run for president. (Switched again to the Democratic Party in 2001.) Republican Party, since September 2009.
Abortion “I’m totally pro-choice,” he told Fox News on October 31, 1999. “I want to see the abortion issue removed from politics,” he told reporters on December 1, 1999, adding, “I believe it is a personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors.” “I’m pro-life,” he proclaimed in his CPAC speech on February 10. “I’m pro-life. I think that’s a big social issue,” he told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren on Monday.

Health-Care Reform “I’m very liberal when it comes to health care. I believe in universal health care. I believe in whatever it takes to make people well and better,” Trump told Larry King on October 7, 1999. In his 2000 book, The America We Deserve, Trump wrote that America should “find an equivalent of the single-payer plan that is affordable, well-administered, and provides freedom of choice.” “I do not think it’s Constitutional,” Trump said last week of 2010′s health-care reform legislation. Asked if it should be repealed, Trump said, “I do.”
Gay Marriage “It’s something I haven’t given lots of thought to,” Trump said on Meet the Press on October 24, 1999. “I live in New York City. There’s a tremendous movement on to have and allow gay marriage. It’s just something that is too premature for me to comment on.” “I’m just not in favor of gay marriage,” he told Van Susteren.

Seriousness With Which He Is Considering a Presidential Run “I’m totally serious,” he told ABC’s Diane Sawyer on December 1, 1999. “I’m serious.” “I’m totally being serious because I can’t stand what’s happening to the country,” he told Fox News in October. “First time I am being serious about it.”
Favorability Rating 33 percent
29 percent

Sorry, this isn’t too easy to read. Go above and click the “comparison” button. NO WAY TRUMP ANYTIME!!!

VFT on April 1, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Trump is very squishy on amnesty. Strong on border enforcement but said each illegal should be looked at individually on their own merits whether or not they can stay or be deported.

But I still love his scorched earth approach here.

karenhasfreedom on April 1, 2011 at 6:25 AM

After hearing Trump on the O’reilly factor, I must say he probably has the best chance to beat Obama next year of any GOP hopeful that I’ve seen.I think he really means what he says too – Also, being one of the best businessmen in America he might be the best one to turn the economy back around.

LODGE4 on April 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

LODGE4 on April 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I’m thinking that way, too. We need a candidate that has a bigger ego than Obama to be able to eat O’s lunch in a debate; Trump’s ego is! Trump has earned his ego so I don’t mind it one bit and he doesn’t come off as looking down his nose at others which is quite a feat. He also is proud of the right things in this country: proud of his success.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 1, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Slump is just basking in the limelight.

He is not Presidential material; not any more than the current posuer.

It’s way early, but I am a diehard Palin support. You can debate your social- v. fiscal-con, but unless we get back tom our Judeo-Christian morality, we are toast.

davidk on April 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Video: Donald Trump Thumps MSNBC Hosts on Obama’s Birth Certificate 3/31/2011
Nearly Nobody on March 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I think barry was probably born in hawaii but there is something embarrassing or troublesome on his birth certficate like calling him caucasion or stating the father as unknown. I think it’s not the birth certificate that he is really concerned with but the path it will lead to in his other records. I believe he falsified his college applications, applications for scholarships and grants, etc. There may be problems with his possible adoption by the second husband in indonesia. Having said the above, if by some chance it turns out that he is not eligible to be president then these scum on msnbc and all the other alphabet networks should be charged as accomplices.

peacenprosperity on April 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I hear he has the Chameleon vote and Leopard who changed his spots vote all sewed up.

Done That on April 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Trump left his ex-wives much better than he found them and they probably knew he was going to cheat on them anyway. So yes, he is more a social con than Newt. Newt is literally a Lifetime Channel villain.

Speedwagon82 on April 1, 2011 at 4:04 PM