Videos: PP lies about mammograms; former PP director slams abortion “profit center,” public funding

posted at 12:55 pm on March 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

When Congress debated legislation barring federal funds from going to Planned Parenthood, its CEO warned that “millions of women are going to lose their health-care access, not to abortion services, but to basic family planning, you know, mammograms.” Sounds awful, doesn’t it?  Live Action decided to start scheduling those mammograms at PP clinics before the funding disappeared, only to discover that Planned Parenthood clinics don’t actually perform mammograms.  In fact, one center told the caller that “we don’t deal with the health side of it so much.  We’re mostly a surgical center”:

And when Planned Parenthood tells people that their mission focuses on women’s health, one of their former directors begs to differ. Abby Johnson left the nation’s largest provider of abortions in 2009 after being pressured to increase the number of abortions at her Bryan, TX clinic, and after watching an ultrasound-guided abortion that convinced her to oppose abortion and work to actually improve women’s health. The Susan B Anthony List pro-life organization has produced this one-minute television ad that features Johnson explaining the actual profit motive at PP, and it’s not condom sales:

Matt Lewis calls this effective because Johnson doesn’t attack abortion itself, but the industrial nature of PP’s abortion mills rather than a presumed focus on “health.” I’d say it does both.  Johnson uses the widget mentality towards abortion to argue that low-income women are not getting substantive health care from the $360 million that flows from Congress each year to the organization under that rationalization — and that strikes at the core of the argument used by PP advocates to protect its funding.

It’s time to end government financing of the nation’s largest abortion mill.  If PP wants to be McAbortion, let them run their business on private funds.  While they’re at it, they can stop lying about where the money goes, too.

Update: Commenter Missy corrects me in that the ultrasound that convinced Johnson to quit was of an abortion in progress.  I’ve corrected the text above.

Comments

“We don’t deal with the health side …”

You do deal with the death side…

rukiddingme on March 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

and after watching an ultrasound of a pregnancy that convinced her to oppose abortion and work to actually improve women’s health.

Actually, Abby Johnson quit after watching an ultrasound-guided abortion. Big difference.

Missy on March 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I started calling “pro-life” dems weeks ago to tell them that PP was lying when they claimed to offer mammograms. Without fail, I was told to shut up by their staffers.

Sen. Nelson’s stooge went so far as to refuse to deliver my message and claimed that his sister had a mammogram performed at the PP in Lincoln. Interesting that that same clinic can be seen on video explaining that they don’t do mammograms. Time for a new round of phone calls.

Vera on March 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Maybe when we have videos of aborted fetuses being fed to abused pit bulls in the basements of Planned Parenthood clinics the GOP will find the backbone to defund this abominable outfit. But don’t hold your breath.

rrpjr on March 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

PP = Dead Babies ‘R’ Us

Wait till the story breaks that the “useless blobs of cells” are being sent to China for recycling into cat food or something.

Part of POTUS’ green initiatives.

BobMbx on March 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM

We’re mostly a surgical center

Is that what they’re calling it these days?

vcferlita on March 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Liars, liars, liars…always follow the money. The entire system is corrupt, from top/botto, left to right.

———–
In the meanwhile, AZ is first, again.

PHOENIX – Gov. Jan Brewer has signed legislation to ban abortions for people who want them because of race or gender.

The law makes it a felony to perform or provide financing for an abortion sought because of the fetus’ race or sex of the fetus or a parent’s race.

Schadenfreude on March 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Vera on March 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Apparently the stooge believes his sister went to that clinic to have a “mammogram”. Ask Mr. Stooge if he wants to buy a bridge…BobMbx has a big one for sale…cheap.

BobMbx on March 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

It’s long past time for Planned Parenthood to stop lying about what it does. It’s also long past time for Congress to stop lying to American taxpayers about what PP does with the hundreds of millions of our tax dollars that Congress gives it each year.

AZCoyote on March 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.”
-Mother Teresa

SKYFOX on March 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Oh, it’s already happening and it’s worse than that. Aborted fetal cell lines are used in food additives in the US.

Vera on March 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I’m SO sorely tempted to post this video on my Facebook page as a rebuttal to the useful idiots who were screaming “OMG, evil Rethuglicans are getting rid of mammograms provided by Planned Parenthood!”.

The only reason I’m holding back for now is that I think they’ve already put me on block for other arguments we’ve gotten into regarding the political BS in their feeds.

teke184 on March 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Vera on March 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Mmm… Soylent Green!

teke184 on March 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM

whoa. that’s watching murder …live…

ted c on March 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM

When you read American history, you wonder how did these people tolerate slave auctions on their Main Street, and then you realize, America tolerates murdering unborn (and in a few cases, born) babies today. Human beings can convince themselves that evil is good, and good is evil. It’s frighteningly easy.

RBMN on March 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

All through my kids school years, schools were adamant about attendance. My kids miss very few days…but sometimes, they do get a nasty bug that might keep them home for a few days. Schools were pestering, and aggitated because they and other kids weren’t in school. After the first few years, we found out why. They lose funding. They get paid so much each day from Fed funds, for each child in school. So your kid could have a contagious bug and the school wouldn’t care. It’s ALL about getting those funds.

Now I don’t know but is PP the same way? Is this why they have a “mill”? I can’t imagine these poor girls going for abortions have a lot of money to pay for these murders of their babies. And the $360 million they recieve can’t possibly be enough to run every clinic for a year. So is the $360 million just the funding on top of what they get per woman murdering her baby? How much do they get paid per woman, out of our money?

capejasmine on March 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Repeat suggested bookmark:

Just the Facts

Shy Guy on March 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

whoa. that’s watching murder …live…

ted c on March 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Medical procedure or a snuff flick….there’s still a dead baby at the end.

BobMbx on March 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Mammograms are not even part of family planning, and they’re not an essential part of personal healthcare for most women. I’m 33 and I’ve had only one, and I’ve since been told by my current doctor that it was unnecessary and probably only done so my previous doctor could make more money. They are more important for older women, and by the time you are older, I’m sorry, but shouldn’t you be seeing a real gynecologist and not the abortion doctor in the local shopping center? I mean really.

According to Wikipedia, mammograms should start at age 50 and be done every two years. Pap smears and std testing are way higher priority.

Also, Planned Parenthood should be required to change their name. What a joke.

Polynath on March 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Also, Planned Parenthood should be required to change their name. What a joke.

Polynath on March 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The name is a sick joke, IMHO, because if you’d actually planned ahead then you wouldn’t be there.

teke184 on March 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Makes me sick every time they mention “women’s health” as a defense for PP. How many of the millions of aborted fetuses were female?

Scrappy on March 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Thanks for the correction, Ed – much appreciated.

Missy on March 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I’ve always thought it was funny that PP claims to offer “reproductive health services” but offers no services if you’re actually reproducing.

Planned Barrenhood really is a better name.

Vera on March 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Let me be clear: I am not the PP in the video.

ParisParamus on March 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM

teke184 on March 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Post it anyway. Something with this much impact will get to them eventually via mutual “friends.”

CurtZHP on March 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

When my wife got pregnant (prior to our marriage) with our first daughter, we went to PP to look at “alternatives”, perhaps look at; abortion, letting someone adopt, etc.(?). From the moment we got in with a “counselor”, my wife was pressured to get an abortion, even though we asked for other solutions. We walked out of their office mid-sentence and practically hit ourselves over the head for even considering giving up our baby.

My only regrets are that the wife and I waited so long to (a) get married and (b) have kids, because I’d much rather have more kids now than the additional money we made in our 20s as we progressed up the career ladders.

Planned Parenthood is a sickening institution that should be dissolved. No matter how I look at it, it’s still a genocidal murder mill. The health of the woman isn’t the concern, the health of the baby is absolutely of no concern, so how was it ever considered a health provider? PP is just a preview of what our socialized medicine will become under Obamacare, sooner than later it will be all about providing less services to cut costs, or perform unnecessary surgeries in order to get paid with little or no oversight…

Geministorm on March 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You mean an organization fanatically devoted to organized murder would also LIE? Who could have guessed?

theCork on March 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

IOW – Abby Johnson’s not a fan of snuff flics? Fair enuf.

/approves

CaveatEmpty on March 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Missy on March 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

True. I’ve heard her give her testimony, and ultrasounds were done with every pregnancy (to see how far along the pregnancy was, which was used to determine what the fee would be). A visiting doctor came in one day, to demonstrate an ultrasound-guided abortion (abortions are usually performed blindly), and Abby got to see the baby unsuccessfully attempt to pull away from the suction cannula. When she first saw the baby, and then didn’t see it, her heart was changed forever.

Ward Cleaver on March 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Call us when the Stupid Party decides to cut off taxpayer money to this Democratic Party special interest group.

Until then….(yawn,zzzzz)

rickyricardo on March 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM

It’s long past time for Planned Parenthood to stop lying about what it does.

AZCoyote on March 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

If your business is killing kids, telling lies won’t bother your conscience too much.

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM

There are so many people who believe that Planned Parenthood offers a full range of counseling including adoption counseling. They don’t. I have an acquaintance who used to work for them and she is quite up front about it. Good for you for walking out.

So much misinformation and disinformation out there.

Ward Cleaver on March 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It’s an intense story. Another amazing part is that the pro-life folks – especially the sidewalk counselor – praying outside the clinic also helped change Johnson’s mind over time (an extreme rarity in these situations). That counselor, Elizabeth McClung, is active here in Austin in the int’l campaign 40 Days For Life which is going on right now.

Missy on March 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM

In addition to Abby’s book “unPlanned“, a good companion read is George Grant’s book “Grand Illusions: The Legacy of Planned Parenthood“. Grant’s book details Margaret Sanger’s racist objectives in the goal of eliminating what she referred to as “human weeds” which was the true goal of PP.

oldleprechaun on March 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM

NCAP prez, Ron Fitzsimmons: “I lied through my teeth”. Don’t expect anything different.

paul1149 on March 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Aww crap! no ripe4insanity comments!

Badger40 on March 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Polynath on March 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

And there are a lot of women’s health clinics out there that are charitable & have sliding scale fees.
When I had no med ins, I went to those for a few years & paid what I could.
I got my regular pap exams that way.
I had a mammogram almost 2 yrs ago & I am almost 42yo. They said do one at 40m, then wait til you’re like 45 or more to do another.
My Grandma had breat cancer, so I figured it was wise.
BTW-who in the he!! WANTS a mammogram? Bcs they don’t feel very good.

Badger40 on March 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Baby killers lie?? I am shocked! Shocked!!

WannabeAnglican on March 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM

The book that changed my mind was Aborting America by Bernard Nathanson and I’m kind of surprised Ms. Johnson never read it. Nathanson had been one of the founders of NARAL and was quite familiar with the lies and propaganda they used. His book gives non-religious grounds for opposing abortion and I found his reasoning very effective.

sloopy on March 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

If abortion had been legal and freely available for all, since the beginning of time … none of US would be here.

That’s a fact. Other people would be here – we wouldn’t be.

The incredible, almost incomprehensible fact is …

In order to produce YOU … THOUSANDS of human copulations had to take place at the instant they did, between the people they did, in order to create YOU. If even one had not occurred – you wouldn’t be here.

And the fact that no one will admit? The THOUSANDS of copulations weren’t always under the best of circumstances. In our genetic makeup – each of us has at least one, and probably many – as in HUNDREDS of rape conceptions. Each one of us has INCEST in our DNA. And … without those less than optimum copulations – we would not be here. If the woman invovled in any of those copulations had aborted her offspring – we would not be here.

Every single one of us was produced by a combination infinitely more complex than any lottery number or cryptic code developed by the NSA.

And if even one of the components of that code were subtracted … over a period of 20,000 years of human history (or more) – YOU would not be here.

HondaV65 on March 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM

God bless Abby Johnson.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM

sloopy on March 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

You don’t need “religious grounds” to oppose abortions. The unborn are genetically homo sapiens, and it is the pro-abortion side that has to gin up ridiculous distinctions not based on hard empirical fact (“fetus”=”parasite”) to justify their evil.

ebrown2 on March 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

This as Nancy Pelosi says that if we don’t want women to have abortion then prevent them from getting pregnant. This implies that the only solution she wants to an unplanned pregnancy is an abortion. Here is an open letter to her about this:

Dear Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi;

It occurs to me that your claim to value the “Word” rings rather hallow when considering your views on abortion. This is particularly evident with a quote from a speech you gave recently. From Life News:

Using militaristic terms at a dinner sponsored by one of the nation’s most polemic pro-abortion groups, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi condemned Republicans who want to de-fund the Planned Parenthood abortion business.

At a Monday gala sponsored by NARAL at the Intercontinental Hotel in San Francisco, Pelosi condemned what she called the Republican “war on women” — the de-funding effort that she said was the biggest attack on abortion since Roe v. Wade. Pelosi told the 700 pro-abortion activists that Republicans clamoring for abortion funding cuts are engaging in an “ideological harangue” not just against abortion, but family planning, and they need “a lesson in the birds and bees.”

“If you don’t want to terminate a pregnancy, you might want to prevent it. Family planning funding? People really get this. Does that give you any picture of how insulting their mentality is?” she said…

You are implying here that any pregnancy that is not prevented ought to end in an abortion. Is the only choice that you will tolerate when it comes to an unplanned pregnancy is one that ends in the death of the unborn baby? What about adoption? Why not say instead that, “If you don’t want your pregnancy to end in adoption, you might want to prevent it.” You should consider how the “Word” that you claim has value to you addresses the way God sees the unborn.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you…” Jeremiah 1:5

“My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!” Psalm 139:15-17

And consider how the Word warns us about how we treat the orphan, keeping in mind that abortion is the pre-emptive murder of the orphan.

“Why does the wicked man revile God?
Why does he say to himself,
“He won’t call me to account”?

But you, O God, do see trouble and grief;
you consider it to take it in hand.
The victim commits himself to you;
you are the helper of the fatherless.

Break the arm of the wicked and evil man;
call him to account for his wickedness
that would not be found out.” Psalm 10:13-15

“Sing to God, sing praise to his name,
extol him who rides on the clouds
his name is the LORD—
and rejoice before him.

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families,
he leads forth the prisoners with singing;
but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.” Psalm 68:4-6

“They crush your people, O LORD;
they oppress your inheritance.

They slay the widow and the alien;
they murder the fatherless.

They say, “The LORD does not see;
the God of Jacob pays no heed.” Psalm 94:5-7

Even Jesus Himself, the Word made flesh, stated the importance of not preventing infants from coming to Him.

“Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to Him and said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” Luke 18:15-17

How can you not see that abortion deprives children of coming to Jesus, knowing His grace and mercy, and serving as example to the rest of us with their child like faith?

Please stop making profession of faith that rings hallow and start practicing what you preach.

Regards,