Video: First they came for the basketball hoops

posted at 4:13 pm on March 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

Why would a clip about a minor land-use dispute rack up 230,000+ hits on YouTube? Because it’s a window onto the political zeitgeist: Not only have you got government meddling here for seemingly unfathomable reasons, but they’re caught red-handed lying about it on camera. Watch as the woman officer tells the homeowner that he can keep his basketball hoop after they remove it — before denying that she said any such thing. (Internal affairs is now investigating the incident.) And of course, you’ve got the bold, sympathetic, yet ultimately futile act of defiance by the homeowner, literally climbing up onto the pole and refusing to come down (at first) to stop them from taking it down. Said mom afterwards, “All I was seeing was my 10-year-old’s face.” And there, my friends, is your keynote speaker at the next tea party rally in Dover.

If you’re wondering which law could conceivably have been violated by a basketball hoop, see section 525 here. (Thanks to commenter WoosterOh for that.) You can’t have hoops, trees, shrubs or anything else within seven feet of the pavement in a subdivision; if you do, the cops can seize the item, fine you $25, and then force you to pay another $15 to get the item back. The fine and fee will probably be waived in this case now that the family’s state rep is involved and this is getting attention online, but where, oh where, will pick-up games be played now? Exit quotation: “What a waste of taxpayer money. They had six trucks and five police cars. Don’t they have something better to do?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t play in the street OMGIZZLESTICKS!!!

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Welcome to the police state of America…

PatriotRider on March 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Shut up and pay your taxes.

Thread closed.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Delaware: Hey you kids. Stop burning calories and exercising with that basketball hoop and go in the house and play video games!

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Anyone want to guess that a neighbor might have complained about the ball bouncing noise that started this whole mess?

karenhasfreedom on March 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Gotta protect those property values to keep the taxes flowing. Nanny statism at its best.

chemman on March 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

If a kid had gotten killed playing basketball in the street sure as sh!t DelDOT would have been sued for not enforcing the law.

Mark1971 on March 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

On December 7, 1787, Delaware, became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution.

How far the state and the country have come.

Schadenfreude on March 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hoop and change!

Shy Guy on March 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

This is what happens when you allow progressive liberals to get elected into government.

It’s about power

Kini on March 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

My thoughts exactly.

The Ugly American on March 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Seriously, I see people here who call themselves conservatives but honestly seem to have been indoctrinated into thinking like liberals ever so slowly.

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

LA is going through people’s trash to see if they recycled correctly. If not you get a fine.

Police are the slowly turning into revenue generators. I still don’t see need to have so many traffic cops? Except illegal aliens, they are exempted from all laws.

Oil Can on March 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Strange. I thought the government wanted kids to exercise and eat right. I guess the kids will have to go to some state-funded park to play basketball now, rather than play on their own cul-de-sac.

Nice sweat pants. You stay classy, Government Lady.

stevezilla on March 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sell the 6 trucks. Lay off the 11 guys. And let people do what they want on their property.

If a kid gets hit by a car because he’s playing basketball in the street, well, I’m pretty sure there are existing criminal charges that can be filed against both kid and driver.

hawksruleva on March 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

No, they do not, Because it is infinitely easier to enforce laws against the Law-abiding than criminals.

Chip on March 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Oil Can on March 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

They do that in NYC also.

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I made that comment before I watched the youtube. Wow, I hope each homeowners sues that government agency for theft of property.

karenhasfreedom on March 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hey,, does the UN know about this????

retiredeagle on March 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

My thoughts exactly.

The Ugly American on March 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Now watch, a government program will be started like Night Basketball for the local kids. With Paid adults, and renting of the high school gym. That ought to be $10,000 per month.

Gubmint to the rescue!

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I hear the same thing happened at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Ks.

BKeyser on March 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It appears we now live in a soft tyranny police state.

Dhuka on March 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Lots of LE manpower for such a dinky job. How much do those public union cops get paid? More cops there than at the Madison, WI rumble. Is there a pattern?

a capella on March 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Post the regulation.

§ 525. Maintenance of clear zones within rights-of-way.

(a) The Department is authorized to maintain clear zones within the rights-of-way under its jurisdiction. In maintaining these clear zones, the Department shall have the immediate authority to remove artificial obstructions placed therein, including, but not limited to, nonofficial signs, poles, mailboxes not placed in conformance with Departmental regulation, or other hazards to safe passage. In removing artificial obstructions, the Department shall attempt to determine the owner of the obstruction and provide written notice and an opportunity for the owner to recover the obstruction after its removal. The Department shall also have the immediate authority to remove or trim vegetation growing within these rights-of-way.

(b) As used in this chapter, the term “clear zone” has the following meanings:

(1) For all roads except those described in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the pavement edge.

(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for the shorter distance of either:

a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge, or

b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as permitted by § 1108(d) of this title.

(c) The owner of any obstruction removed pursuant to this section shall be liable for a civil fine of $25 for each item so removed, payable to the Department. Justices of the Peace shall have original jurisdiction for any court proceedings relating to this fine. No owner of any such obstruction shall be entitled to the return of any removed obstruction without proof of payment of all outstanding fines.

(d) Recovery by the owner of any artificial obstruction removed by the Department under this section shall be subject to the payment of a $15 recovery fee per obstruction. If the owner does not pay the fee and recover the obstruction within 30 days of its removal, the Department shall dispose of the obstruction in the exercise of its reasonable discretion. The Department may also take such legal steps as it deems necessary and proper to collect these recovery fees, including but not limited to a debt action in the courts of this State.

WoosterOh on March 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I just hope that the squealing neighbor is complying with all regulations….otherwise…?

d1carter on March 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Why can’t these homeowners purchase a movable basketball goal instead of planting a permanent structure in the easement?

I personally don’t think this was worth the expense, nor a pressing concern for that city.

But, the law is the law.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“This is an assault against homeowners” – Obama

Electrongod on March 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Mark1971 on March 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

If a kid gets killed by a meteorite…if a kid gets hit by lightening…how many kids get killed playing basketball at the end of a cul de sac?
Get a life…you never played in the streets?

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I dont see anything wrong here: there are laws, and this family broke them. Oh, well.

Shambhala on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

First they came for the basketball hoops, and I said nothing…..

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

They acted stupidly…

PatriotRider on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Why is the state DOT and police involved with an issue on a side street in a subdivision? Wouldn’t your local street department and local police enforce this issue?

reddevil on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

AP, Sorry, dont need to post the regulation I just posted, and this post. I see it in your post above.

Sorry, should read first.

WoosterOh on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

That was truly disheartening to watch.

STG if I won the lottery today, I’d pay to have someone reinstall new ones every single night.

The Ugly American on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

This is sort of the reverse to the “broken windows” theory of government. That theory argues that when government doesn’t enforce little laws that the overall order will fall as well. E.g., if a window is broken in a house and not repaired, another window will be broken, trash will be thrown out and the whole neighborhood will rot.

In this case, enforcement of a little law breeds contempt for the government since they’re focusing on this petty stuff and not the more important things.

Call it the “neighborhood hoops” theory.

SteveMG on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

But, the law is the law.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Did you hear how long this has been in effect? It predates the law…did you hear him state that he was filling out the proper paperwork, but he city hadn’t gotten back to him?
This kind of law only works for the bureaucrats…and you did hear her absolutely lie to his face…

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m curious to know which comments you are referring to.

Kataklysmic on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. It’s that whole slippery slope thing.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Welcome, to Delaware, people, where the state government is the largest employer in the state. As for the police, you should see Wilmington on any given Sunday morning when some organization is having a benefit run or walk/run. The police are all over the place to ensure safety of the joggers, while a mile or two away we have are having record numbers of gun shootings.

DaydreamBeliever on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I love the part where they basically tell them they are not allowed to talk on their own front lawn.

Government big enough for you people?

Chip on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

If you read the comments on the Delware Online site, the residents of the state are A-Ok with this. So, they get what they deserve.

cktheman on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I think he should put up another one…I know I would…

PatriotRider on March 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Kataklysmic on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

\
You would have to go back to the original posting in headlines.

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I’m not condoning such a lawsuit. I’m just saying it would happen.

Mark1971 on March 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

What could be better than being mean to people and interfering in their lives? /Progressives

Oh, spending the taxpayers own dollars to do it makes it better.

FloatingRock on March 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Shambhala on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

No, they predated the law, and was told he could file a grievance (to grandfather), he was doing such and they had not responded to his filing, so they lied to him, and took what he owned.
You see nothing wrong because you are a pushover, and would allow anyone with a badge to harass you…now stay on the porch and be quiet like the told the man in the video….that’s a good boy/girl…

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Chip on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Be quiet lawbreaker! /s

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Back in the olden days I preferred my kids in front of my house than at some park a mile up the road running into who knows who. Getting out of the way of oncoming cars and watching for children was a learning experience for both child and driver alike.

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Can anyone ID the blond female state official? It’s a small state, somebody knows who she is.

khacha on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Obama must be so conflicted over this one.

Hoops vs. Nanny State.

Scrappy on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

They’re the same trucks they’ll take us pesky complainers away in someday. I hope they at least throw a bench in there to sit on.

RBMN on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Shambhala on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

That’s abig part of what is wrong today. Too many laws which are enforced inconsistently or used as leverage. Try going a full day without unwittingly committing two or three crimes.

a capella on March 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

cktheman on March 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I think Delaware online has a bout 20 commenters total, 2/3 liberal and 1/3 libertarian. And probably one person from the Green Party. So, I wouldn’t read too much into that.

DaydreamBeliever on March 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Basketball Jones…

Seven Percent Solution on March 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Some years ago, my liberal brother tried to keep the local cops from shutting his 8 and 6 year-old son’s lemonade stand down. They confiscated the stand the boys had spent two days building and all the pitchers, cups, and ingredients. He told me then he FINALLY understood why I thought government should have limited powers. Until then he thought only Republicans should have limited powers. Liberals and Democrats should be able to do what they wished because it was always for the good of the little people.

It was a huge eye-opener for him.

Lily on March 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I’m actually surprised they did not taze him…probably because of the video camera…

PatriotRider on March 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I’m not condoning such a lawsuit. I’m just saying it would happen.

Mark1971 on March 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

That’s what they all say when you are held hostage…I had to do what they say or else…
The officer “It’s the law, I have to uphold the law”…of course he was going through the proper channels to have the law reviewed, but she couldn’t wait.
Being held hostage because of eh possible lawsuit, is not justification to lie and steal property.

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM

But, the law is the law.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Not to disagree with you, but I think the tape showed some of them being carted away as the portable type, now whether they let their owners move them back onto their property is another matter.

[On a personal level, I hate that kind of noise, but you don’t use the police power of government to enforce your personal preferences, the next time it’ll be something else]

Chip on March 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I remember a similar case about 20 years ago in Fairfax County, Virginia. A guy had a hoop in his front yard and the homeowner’s association, citing a neighborhood rule that you can’t have basketball hoops mounted in the front of the house, demanded he remove it. So he did.

I used to live in Delaware. “Used to” is the operative here.

crosspatch on March 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Meanwhilst…

… Our southern border goes unprotected.

Seven Percent Solution on March 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I don’t see the problem its the law…baaaaaah

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Obama must be so conflicted over this one.

Hoops vs. Nanny State.

Scrappy on March 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I Obama has those people’s BB pole installed at the White House so that he can use it. That way he can have BB and nanny state both.

FloatingRock on March 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM

“And then he made a new one in the back yard, with a huge arm that went completely over the house and the backboard was just exactly where it was originally.”

And the reason why I heard about this story is that apparently the homeowner’s association took him to court about it, and lost. So it made the news that night.

crosspatch on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

That’s why I fled California and came home to my native Texas. I live in the sticks right next to a national forest clinging to my guns, Bible and basketball goal. Come an’ git me, liberals!

cartooner on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I don’t see the problem its the law…baaaaaah

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The officer said they would remove the poll and leave it in their driveway. After removing it, they confiscated it and took it with them.

Delaware just took private property that was not abandoned.

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

So the guy was trying to work within the system, he and his state rep, making correspondence, etc. and that wasn’t good enough?

Is the guy a Democrat? If he were, he could have gotten a lib judge to issue a stay and injunction.

catmman on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Predates the law? What are you talking about? Easement laws have been around for centuries. The only thing that might have changed is any type of fine that might be assessed.

But regardless, there is nothing in the law about items being “grandfathered”. Because something may predate a law doesn’t mean it gets a free pass. When things are grandfathered, it’s written into the law to distinguish that.

I personally despise the fact this cop lied in the way she did, but it is 100% legal for her to do so. Mainly due to the fact she had a reasonable expectation that these people were going to make things very difficult if she did not lie to them. She was clearly trying to diffuse a situation that could have gotten out of control. (Recall this guy’s wife climbed on top of the basketball goal earlier)

While I do not think this was worth the expense. The law is the law. It’s quite simple.

As conservatives we should totally be for the rule of law. Don’t act like a bunch of liberals that want to deal play the emotional side of every issue. If basketball goals should be exempted from the right of way laws, then there is a way to go about making that happen. Making emotional pleas about “fairness”, “police state” and “you’re hurting the kids” are not going to change it.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

You would have to go back to the original posting in headlines.

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Gotcha. Same page. Originally I thought you were arguing the other side of this.

Kataklysmic on March 29, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I see driveways. Why not put it in their driveway?

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I think bicycle helmets are stupid looking!!!!!

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Meanwhilst…

… Our southern border goes unprotected.

Seven Percent Solution on March 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Quick, everybody to put basketball hoops, and illegally placed signage every 10 feet along the border. That will get the government in action.

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Sorry I failed with the sarcasm tag.

EnochCain on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Believe it or not, the counties don’t shovel side streets in DE. Each subdivision must hire it’s own snow guy, and the state reimburses 80% of the cost.

Naturally, only half the people pay their measely $30 or whatever, so one half supports the other half of each neighborhood.

They let that situation go on, as if to mandate that everyone pay $15 is horrible but half of the people paying $30 is fair.

Just like tearing down hoops is fair.

We elect lots of Democraps in DE, and by “we” I mean the idiocracy.

Akzed on March 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Nothing more needs to be said then this sad statement…all he requested is that they leave the poll.
He was going through the proper channels, get it? He was doing what he should do.

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

First they came for the basketball hoops

Then they come for your balls.

capejasmine on March 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Probably not allowed to park in the street. Just kidding. Although I did rent a place where you had to put you car in the garage at night. Not in the driveway, in the garage.

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Let me get this straight; this city removes the equipment from their neighborhood so the kids can’t play basketball, yet at the same time they are telling us how fat our kids are? Then, on top of that, Michelle Obama is forcing the schools to feed the kids rabbit food and cardboard? Does this not seem like a conflicting message here?

The mental patients have taken over the asylum.

Susanboo on March 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Again, if they put it in their own driveway, there would be no problem. What am I missing here?

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You are brilliant!!!

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

capejasmine on March 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Yikes!

:-0

Akzed on March 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

More room in the cul-de-sac I imagine.

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

As conservatives we should totally be for the rule of law.

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Until make it against the law to be a conservative.

I sympathize with some of your points, but what if the gentlemen in the video is correct and they only removed the 8 basketball goals on the route of the person who complained. Would selective enforcement still get your full-throated support?

I think the point many on these threads have been making is that when overzealous liberals pass an avalanche of laws in hopes of creating a utopian superstate, at what point does being a law abiding citizen cease to be the pinnacle of conservatism? I’m not saying we are there yet, but we’re probably damn close. This country was founded in part because people were fed up with govenrment overreach.

Kataklysmic on March 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Really, it is 100% legal for the cop to lie because she thinks mom is going to be a problem?

I bet not.

Lily on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Look, while removing the hoop may have been perfectly legal, did they really need to send 5-6 cars and police?

This is absolutely ridiculous. So police officers are now allowed to lie to you about pretty much anything as long as the situation is difficult? That is insanity. Add the lying to the fact that this woman was in a frigging sweatsuit and not in uniform. I would have raised a fuss too.

BakerAllie on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Gubmint to the rescue!

portlandon on March 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Like they do here in Los Angeles …only the program is a money-sucking sham run by so-called “ex” gangbangers.

The Ugly American on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Put it in your own damn driveway or attach it to your garage. What a bunch of idiots.

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Hey, I get and respect the Rule of Law argument.

But let’s not forget the difference between the Spirit and the Letter of the Law.

If the pole had been there for a generation, why the decision to enforce it now?

Maddening.

radioboyatl on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nasal-voiced, lying, authoritarian little bit*h.

Unbelievable — but not. They’re out there, more empowered every day and they’re not going away without a fight.

rrpjr on March 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Starting off, I am not condoning this person’s violating of whatever law is on the books. However, three things surprise me by this clip:

1. The claim that the basketball goal has been there for 60 years and the owner’s asking for the city to hold off on removing it for a TRO. How long has this law been in place? Was it enacted prior to the basketball goal being erected? If no, then the issue of whether the city can legally remove the goal is a real issue here. If the law was in place prior to the basketball goal being erected, the city still has a big problem of “laches.” If this basketball goal has been openly in defiance of this code for so long without any complaints by the city, there may have been a real issue of getting him to remove it by court order. However, now that the city removed it, we may not know the answer to these issues.

2. The fact that the city actually took the basketball goal, the owner’s personal property, from him surprises me. There is no law against having the basketball goal, just a law against having it so close to the street. As such, the homeowner should have been able to keep his goal, just not have it erected in violation of the law. It seems like a dangerous precedent to set that city officials are going around seizing individuals’ personal private property.

3. That a neighbor would actually have the nerve to call the local code enforcement officers to remove these individuals’ basketball goals. He may have won the “battle” in this case, but he still has to live around all of these people that he has upset. That could become very uncomfortable after awhile.

Conservative in NOVA on March 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

reddevil on March 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Because all laws are inevitably enforced at the point of the spear, so maybe we should be more cautious about the laws we make.

DFCtomm on March 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Welcome to the USSA, where petty bureaucratic tyrants steal your property and scold you like a petulant child.

ronsfi on March 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Sadly, this happened to me almost 20 years ago. We lived on a three house cul-de-sac that bordered a school soccer field.

Our street was much closer to the field than the school’s parking lot, so our cul-de-sac was always overrun with parked cars. We still played baseball, basketball and anything we wanted, if their car got hit so be it…their fault.

Well, a cantankerous and lazy judge that lived 3 streets down, didn’t like his car being within striking distance when he parked on our cul-de-sac and not the parking lot. So he reported our basketball hoop and they came and did the same thing.

Get angry when I think about those lazy SOBs..not to mention one of these people ran over my dog that got loose and just drove away..

Butters on March 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Cops are not allowed to lie to “diffuse” a situation. Cops are not trained to lie to diffuse a situation. I wasn’t. When they do and get called on it like this time, how did that diffuse anything? It blew things up, made the homeowners extremely emotional and made the situation more volatile. Cops are supposed to enforce the law, period.

The guy was cooperative, though upset, he was letting them do what they wished. The cops are also supposed to be impartial. The female officer appeared to be anything but.

The cop had no cause or reason to lie to the guy. If she was at first mistaken, which is possible I suppose, then she should have said so, not lied about it.

These homeowners appear to be law-abiding citizens, who were working within the system, even to the point of getting state pols involved. But the city (or whatever) where they live chose to be the aggressor in this situation.

There is a right way and wrong way to go about things. At least as it appears with this family, they were handled badly. The law is the law as you say, but it isn’t and shouldn’t be used as a bludgeon.

catmman on March 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Yep, that sound really carries. I don’t complain though, it’s not like it happens in the middle of the night.

slickwillie2001 on March 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

In our CA suburb, they published a newsletter about the water shortage last summer and the new restrictions and specifically asked citizens to report their neighbors for watering at the wrong time of day. I forgot one day and watered at 3 p.m. Oh boy! Code enforcement was out and giving me a warning! Next time, a big fine.

The restrictions are still in effect even tho the drought is over. Control, control. That’s what it’s all about.

PattyJ on March 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Supposedly seven feet belong to the city? Try not mowing it and see how fast you find out who is responsible.

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM

BakerAllie on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Well cut her some slack. She probably has a son, and his birthday is coming up, and coincidentally, he asked for a bb hoop. ;)

capejasmine on March 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM

radioboyatl on March 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

There is none. That is some dumb line some television writer made up.

Blake on March 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM