Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

No wonder Barack Obama felt comfortable leaving the country after deciding to start a war in Libya. The Commander in Chief explained while in El Salvador that America’s volunteer military forces got, er, volunteered by “others” to go to war (via Ed Driscoll and PJM’s Tatler, emphasis Ed’s):

And that’s why building this international coalition has been so important because it means that the United States is not bearing all the cost.  It means that we have confidence that we are not going in alone, and it is our military that is being volunteered by others to carry out missions that are important not only to us, but are important internationally.  And we will accomplish that in a relatively short period of time.

“Volunteered by others”?  I’m not aware of a Constitutional clause that allows our orders to get “volunteered” for conflicts by any entity other than Congress or the President.  Perhaps we could get a Constitutional scholar to weigh in on this … you know, one actually in the country.

Comments

Prelude to subjugation to UN authority and decision-making regarding American economic and military action. What’s that EastAsia quote again?

ExpressoBold on March 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Satchel Paige was right: “Nothin’s never so bad that it can’t get worse.”

ncborn on March 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM

He meant VolunTOLD by others I think.

Mord on March 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I’d like to volunteer O to go be President elsewhere and ruin some other country.

Beaglemom on March 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

What? He’s not in charge?

Who would have thunk?

Rod on March 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Hello boehner and crew….here is your opening. After all the consulting dear leader had with you prior to going into Libya

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Whose CINC is our CINC today?

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

And we will accomplish that in a relatively short period of time.

Something tells me it’s those words that will haunt The One come election day.

JetBoy on March 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

God bless our troops!

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Damn, he admitted he’s not the one after all. He also admitted that he is just a puppet for a puppet master called the United Nations. Wow…

Keemo on March 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM

O/T: F & F just reported that NATO has announced that they are delaying taking over the Libya KMA. Unexpectedly.

kingsjester on March 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Fox is reporting NATO is backing out…or delaying…Obama reminds me of someone who lies for the fun of it.

tinkerthinker on March 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

tinkerthinker on March 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

PantLoad needs to give a quick presser and remind these people ‘Who Won’?

BigWyo on March 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM

ExpressoBold on March 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Yes, R2P will become the left’s license to police/punish its critics and enemies. The precedent of embracing R2P represents the gravest danger of the Libyan adventure.

petefrt on March 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM

It’s dear leader KMA now

NATO probably realizes who dear leader truly is….

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM

When will the idiot indies start to question this traitor? He clearly has no regard for the constitution unless it benefits him.

csdeven on March 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM

If you read the reports, we are at war and the coalition is the designated UN observer, nice work bo.

tim c on March 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM

any word if he will actually seek authorization from congress?

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM

NATO ‘delaying’ taking over !!! LOLOLOLOL
I yelled at the O during the speech last night with “YEAH, RIGHT they’ll take over !”
That din’t take long …. Sheesh.

What CAN be done to the admin about our troops under someone else’s command ? Surely SOMETHING !!!
Did we enter some secret one-world treaty or sumpin’ ?

pambi on March 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Beaglemom on March 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Wrong. That assumes some country is willing to take him.

antisocial on March 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM

tinkerthinker on March 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

That’s not what obaka said in his awesome loser of a speech last night!!

ladyingray on March 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM

kingsjester on March 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Let me be clear…

JetBoy on March 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Ø designs military and foreign policy as well as he picks
Final Four competitors. Everything he touches turns to crap. He is the kiss of annihilation and the catalyst to permanent residence in Loserville.
That’s why America can’t get off the economic decline of the past three years – Ø is a loser who taints everything he touches.

ExpressoBold on March 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I’m going to have to start reading lefty blogs, I guess. I just cannot fathom the utter cluelessness of this man on my own. I recall reading that he was a Constitutional Scholar; that he conducted university lectures on the subject. What on earth did he lecture about? Does anybody have his lecture notes on this? (Stupid question, I know.)

I also wonder what happened to “Unity of Command” as one of the main Principles of War? Has no one on his staff, or any of the generals, pointed that one out to him?

He spent his formative years as a Community Organizer, whose main job was to empower the clueless. He apparently sees the world through that prism. That’s why he cannot stand criticism; he was a big fish in a small pond back in Chicago.

ss396 on March 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

You have to read Day By Day today. It is so on the money. Oh and I want to thank Ed and AP for giving us the link for this terrific Conservative comic strip(do we still call them that?). Chris Muir is great. http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/

Deanna on March 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

any word if he will actually seek authorization from congress?

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Congress? What’s that?

Dear Liar’s statment is just more proof of his unfitness for office. Disgusting POS.

rbj on March 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Deanna on March 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

agree…good one this am…thanks for the linky

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM

rbj on March 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM

true, true…i just hope congress has the cajones to go after this guy and all of his consultations that he apparently had with them…

cmsinaz on March 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I’m going to have to start reading lefty blogs, I guess. I just cannot fathom the utter cluelessness of this man on my own.ss396 on March 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

And they vocabulary is interesting!

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Here are the latest Walkergate articles:

(Foxnews)
Obama Administration Under Mounting Pressure for Botched Gun Trafficking Investigation

(CBS News)
ATF gunwalking: Who knew, and how high up?

Day by day cartoon reference to the Gunwalker scandal

Galt2009 on March 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Can we change the constitution to say that it doesn’t matter if you were born here if you don’t act like you were?

Knott Buyinit on March 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

He knew last night NATO wasn’t taking over. Lying sack of scat.

hip shot on March 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Knott Buyinit on March 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

In their worst nightmares the framers of the Constitution could not have imagined that America would ever elect a President who so hates his own country and who is so mind-numbingly incompetent at the same time.

SKYFOX on March 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM

they = their

Cindy Munford on March 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Obviously he mis-spoke, but for the life of me, I can’t even figure out what he was “trying” to say before he twisted it in nonsensical gibberish.

Alden Pyle on March 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

As I said in another post, it looks to me as if whatever the Muslim Brotherhood wants, the Muslim Brotherhood gets

Vntnrse on March 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM

hmmmm…has Sarkozy and Qaddafi made some secret pact? We’ll call off the US if you leave our oil alone. Otherwise, the bombing continues and you’ll have no army or air force left. You can still be the tyrant in chief and treat your people how you wish. Yep, smart power.

Kissmygrits on March 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM

This OOTD is a logical extension of the concept of an all volunteer US military…

I volunteered to serve for 30 years, and POTUS volunteers us for tasking by international mandate…

Fabulous…

Is it November 2012 yet?

Khun Joe on March 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Barry did not order them into harms way. He volunteered them. The man does not know how to speak plainly. It’s all deception and obfuscation. If he is elected again, then decline is certain and deserved.

exdeadhead on March 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM

As they say in the Army, “BOHICA.” Bend over, here it comes again.

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 29, 2011 at 9:57 AM

This is an exact follow up to Hillary’s statement on Sunday that we didn’t need Congressional approval because we had international authorization.

katablog.com on March 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Perhaps we can get a Constitutional scholar that actually loves his country, and feels the Constitution is the most important document when it comes to the day to day runnings of Government?

capejasmine on March 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Obama’s a “constitutional scholar” . . . I think he said so himself. Not only that, our armed forces are not conscripts, but all-volunteer. It only stands to reason then that when someone volunteers our armed forces that it must be constitutional, if by “reason” you mean anything that scrolls up on the teleprompter. If this were not so, Joe Bite-Me would be pressing for impeachment, because he said he would.
Maybe Obama need some more speeches to sell this. Apparently there’s another communications problem, much like the one he suffered with the healthcare law . . .

tpitman on March 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

WOW. Our troops aren’t even fortunate enough to be hired guns.

mizflame98 on March 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Beaglemom on March 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I’ll second that!

disa on March 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM

This is the longest four years of my life!

disa on March 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Can this international authorization be applied to anything else? Perhaps, like removal from office of an incompetent POTUS?

GrannySunni on March 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Beaglemom on March 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Wrong. That assumes some country is willing to take him.

antisocial on March 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM

It would be so much easier for everyone if he were president of China.

obladioblada on March 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Oh my goodness, I owe Jimmy Carter an apology!

redwhiteblue on March 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM

He spent his formative years as a Community Organizer, whose main job was to empower exploite the clueless. He apparently sees the world through that prism. That’s why he cannot stand criticism; he was a big fish in a small pond back in Chicago.

ss396 on March 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I felt the need.

Slowburn on March 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I notice he has no problem VOLUNTEERING my tax dollars to cover the costs either.

Tim_CA on March 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM