Report: Facebook interested in hiring Robert Gibbs for some reason

posted at 8:20 pm on March 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Confirmed: New dotcom bubble to burst hard.”

Facebook is seeking out Mr. Gibbs ahead of an initial public offering planned for early 2012, these people said…

Facebook, however, is pressing Mr. Gibbs to consider the job more quickly, according to these people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were supposed to remain confidential.

A job for Mr. Gibbs at Facebook could be worth millions of dollars. While details of his potential compensation package have yet to be discussed, people briefed on the talks said that he would receive a cash salary as well as shares ahead of the initial offering. Facebook is being valued by some investors at more than $60 billion and could be the largest offering in history.

This is a guy who spent two solid years with the biggest megaphone in the world, and somehow his most memorable line involved dumping on his own base. That’s the sort of “messaging” know-how that’s worth $50 million in Facebook stock, I guess.

More from ABC:

“Frankly, Facebook has a hard time talking to the outside world,” said Werbach. “Ironically, the company is all about social interaction, but they are socially awkward. They’re dealing with hot-button issues like privacy, but have struggled with clearly communicating to the public.”…

The company wants someone familiar with communicating in a “pressure cooker,” Werbach said.

“Is there a tougher communications job than being spokesman for the president? I don’t think so,” said Werbach. “If you’re aspirations are to be one of most important companies in the world, you think about getting the best guy for that job.”

Supposedly the only other prospective flack they’ve interviewed for the job is former Clinton press secretary Joe Lockhart; the company wants “top-level White House experience,” a source tells Politico. That’s not only for prestige reasons, either: Facebook’s been expanding its lobbying footprint in D.C. to fend off new privacy regulations so they want a pipeline to the regulator-in-chief, especially now that he’s been more aggressive in using executive power to avoid roadblocks from the House GOP. Still, though: Why would they settle for Gibbs when they could get someone even more influential and less beholden to partisan dynamics? If they hire Gibbsy and the GOP takes back the White House next year, he’ll be shut out on the Hill a year and a half from now. Given that Facebook can basically print its own money, why not get someone like Bill Clinton whose phone calls will always be taken? As it is, this is like Apple hiring Scott McClellan to go out and sell the iPad 2.

For your viewing pleasure, as a gloss on Facebook, D.C., and privacy, enjoy this simply superb Onion goof from a few weeks back.

CIA’s ‘Facebook’ Program Dramatically Cut Agency’s Costs

Comments

What could go wrong????

BD57 on March 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

FB is for teenagers and pervs. Said it before and i’ll say it again. Gibbs is perfect for it.

ted c on March 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

SUPER, Farmville gets a King.

Amadeus on March 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

More fallout from the Wrecking Ball–High Tech Dinner from earlier this year?

The more I hear about Zuckerberg the more I think he’s really not that smart. Great idea guy for FB, but agreeing to join the Warren Buffet Billionaire giveaway scam, and the $100 million to the PUBLIC schools in Newark?

And now this Gibbs thing?

I know Zuckerberg is only 26 but get some common-sense Mark!!!

PappyD61 on March 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

And they think Prince Dork whose messaging failed even by liberal accounts will change that?

amerpundit on March 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Alternate headline. Zuckerberg Prefers Place at Table to Place on Menu.

Kataklysmic on March 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Oh ya,FaceBook,Gibbsy will be running the ReElection
Obama Page!

Just a gut feeling!!

canopfor on March 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

The Facebook people think that their major privacy policy screw-ups were really a communications problem??

Typical libs — it’s a messaging problem.

DaydreamBeliever on March 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Why do all these software companies and social networking sights seem so left leaning? Where are the conservative companies? I never use google anymore. It took awhile but I use Bing and a few others. Now, If I could just find a better alternative to gmail.

JellyToast on March 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I thought he was headed over to work for Obama 2012 campaign.

Mark1971 on March 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

“Frankly, Facebook has a hard time talking to the outside world,”

BREAKING NEWS

Gibbs also has a hard time talking to the outside world same as his old boss!

Are they daft? It disgusts me that this tool will get a payback job like this and make a killing on the zero talent I percieve him to have.

bluemarlin on March 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM

He’s an insurance policy… If the GOP takes back the town, then, despite the libs constant projection otherwise, Facebook doesn’t need to fear restrictions on free speech and protection from government regs. On the other hand, if Barry and his minions remain in command, then $50 million to a Friend of Barry will be a cheap payoff to the administration…

phreshone on March 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Facebook pretty much for airheads so it is a perfect match.

Dingbat63 on March 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

King of the Clowns.

perfect.

RealMc on March 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Uhhh, Ahhh, uggh, ahhh, yeah, I uhhh, ahh will take the uhhh job.

hip shot on March 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

What? Facebook is hiring Baghdad Bob?

Dandapani on March 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Facebook’s changes are always crap, so this fits nicely.

nickj116 on March 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

“At this very moment we are roasting the stomachs of MySpace.”

slickwillie2001 on March 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Maybe he’ll take the Facebook job to keep an eye on Palin’s musings…

JetBoy on March 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Maybe he’ll take the Facebook job to keep an eye on Palin’s musings…

JetBoy on March 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

He’ll delete her account. “Accidentally”

Amadeus on March 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM

This will be yet another reason I eschew Facebook.

coldwarrior on March 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

What better way to collect mass data on individuals and groups? The ultimate in data mining.

Virginia Shanahan on March 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I thought he was headed over to work for Obama 2012 campaign.

Mark1971 on March 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Well…

the_nile on March 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

“Is there a tougher communications job than being spokesman for the this lying scumbag president? I don’t think so,”

FIFY

Big John on March 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM

The photo made me LOL. It definitely needs ventriloquist’s dummy lines from the corners of his mouth to his chin though.

Sharke on March 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

At least he has more credentials for that then some one else does at their current job. *cough* Obama *cough*

scrubbiedude on March 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I figured he was still wandering around the White House basement looking for his stapler.

forest on March 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I can’t help it. Every time I see Gibbs, I expect him to blurt out:

“Hey, Lois, come look at what Stewie’s doin’! Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh!”

iurockhead on March 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I may be the only person in the world without FaceBook. If they are trying to get me, this isn’t the way.

flyoverland on March 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM

If that d1ckhead gets hired in any position @ FB, I am cancelling my account , and never going back ….if someone wants me to see pictures, they will have to just go the old-fashioned route and email them to me !

cableguy615 on March 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

You can have him, we don’t wamt him, He’s too fat for us.

Everybody Polka!

Naturally Curly on March 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Alternate headline: “Confirmed: New dotcom bubble to burst hard.”

Alternate headline: who says idiots have no 2nd chances?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I thought he was headed over to work for Obama 2012 campaign.

Mark1971 on March 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

That’s EXACTLY what this is all about. You didn’t really think he simply got tired of working for Obama, did you? Facebook just got hired by Team Obama. Gibbs is simply transferring to a different department.

Gregor on March 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM

forest on March 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

LOL. Great movie reference.

coldwarrior on March 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM

SUPER, Farmville gets a King.

Amadeus on March 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Obviously they just needed someone to shovel the manure – and who has more recent experience?

Adjoran on March 29, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I have no trouble confirming that I’m a bit of an airhead. It’s a great wa to stay in touch with old friends or relatives without having to see them! That being said, if Facebook hires Robert Gibbs in any capacity,I will quit Facebook!

Vntnrse on March 29, 2011 at 2:05 AM

It will keep the feds off of Facebooks back…Gibbs is a hero to the inner circle.

right2bright on March 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM

What most people seem to be missing is that Gibbs left his WH job to work on the 2012 BHO reelection effort. Can’t anyone connect the dots? Do you think we will get a fair share on FB? This is all part of the plan to control the message.

Spike72AFA on March 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Spike72AFA on March 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM

‘Ditto!

Hmmm…. Sarah Palin has one of the most active FaceBook pages, so let’s destroy FaceBook to shut her up.

2nd Ammendment Mother on March 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Facebook is excellent for keeping up with friends from the real world, but if you don’t set all the chatty and political friends to “ignore”, it’s like fingernails on chalk board. I post about once a month.

I live on an island in the Florida Keys with lots of progressives who use it so I’ve never gotten political with it. If Gibs becomes its spokesman, that’s over, and all my progressive friends in the real world will have to set me to “ignore” in their profiles.

elfman on March 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Facebook is NOT worth 60 billion. It’s ridiculous to even suggest such a thing
Facebook has no real value, but to get your information for politicians.
No one looks at the ads , in fact I’d say most people avoid clicking on ads on the internet because of pop ups.
Just like Myspace, Facebook is a fad until something else comes along after people tire of it.

LeeSeneca on April 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM