Quotes of the day

posted at 10:46 pm on March 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

“3. HALEY BARBOUR (previous rank: 6)
No candidate’s reputation has preceeded him with the chattering classes more than Barbour’s. He has met the attending expectations in some cases, especially as he begins to form a top-notch staff. But in others, Barbour has fallen short, stumbling where his reputation for political preeminence should have bolstered him. The terrible two-month stretch of damaging headlines he’s endured will make his path to victory more difficult. But if his reputation is deserved — and it is — Barbour will be able to recover.”

***
“Potential presidential candidate Haley Barbour appears to be staking out a moderate position on global warming than some of his possible rivals, saying at an event in eastern Iowa on Friday that the country should ‘proceed in national policy as if global warming is actually happening.’…

“‘I think the prudent thing for us, when you consider the potential risk, the prudent thing is to proceed as if global warming is an issue,’ Barbour said at a luncheon organized by a local Republican group, the Linn Eagles, ‘but we don’t have to destroy the American economy for no positive results to do that.’

“But in an interview with a blogger at the Conservative Political Action Committee Conference in Washington last month, Barbour seemed more skeptical when asked to comment about record cold temperatures in parts of the country this year.”

“This global warming is about to freeze me to death,” Barbour said in jest.

***
“‘The other question though, is what are we doing in Libya?’ he said. ‘I mean we have to be careful in my mind, about getting into nation-building exercises. Whether it’s in Libya or somebody else, or somewhere else.’

“‘We’ve been in Afghanistan 10 years,’ he continued. ‘And the question to me in Afghanistan is not whether we should do whatever it takes to win the war on terror, because we should, whatever it takes, but there are only 100 al Qaeda in Afghanistan according to our own government. So have we suffered from mission creep over there that requires us to have 100,000 soldiers on the ground? I’m not saying do this, do that, what I am saying is we need to step back and take a look at what we’re doing and see if we got the resources there, is all that necessary for our mission to be accomplished.’”

***
“The early release Friday of a Mississippi man convicted of manslaughter has drawn attention because Gov. Haley Barbour, a possible Republican presidential candidate, had signed an order that gave time off to the man and other prisoners.

“The convict was one of 287 inmates who got a few months off prison sentences for helping clean up after hurricanes Katrina and Rita under Barbour’s 2006 order…

“Barbour spokeswoman Laura Hipp says he had nothing to do with most of the time taken off Goff’s sentence — more than eight years. That came from laws allowing reductions for working in prison, going to classes and other activities. The biggest reduction, seven years, came from working in the prison. Those decisions are made by prison officials…

“‘This is just unbelievable, to give a murderer 130 days off because he cleaned up after a storm, which is what an inmate should be doing anyway,’ state Sen. Michael Watson, a Republican from Pascagoula, told the Sun Herald. ‘It’s beyond me, to be honest with you. I’m almost at a loss for words.’”

***
“‘I think it’s almost impossible to overstate his impact,’ said Nathan Daschle, then the executive director of the Democratic Governors Assn. ‘He just shattered our perceptions of what we thought was possible. We had always kept relative pace with them until Haley Barbour came around.’…

“‘I’ve been there when he asks someone for a million dollars, and he enjoys it,’ said Henry Barbour, his nephew and top political advisor.”

***
“Fighting back tears as he talked up his home state’s abortion laws, Haley Barbour vowed Friday that he will not adhere to any social-issues ‘truce’ if he runs for president…

“The comments represented Barbour clearest move away from his good friend, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who has been pummeled by conservatives for saying social issues should take a back seat to a focus on fiscal concerns. Until now, Barbour has more often used language and a laser-like fiscal focus that led some to believe he was closer to Daniels’ camp on the issue than other presidential hopefuls.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Very interesting to say the least!..I agree I am suprised!..:)

PS..Are we missing something here?..:)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Marooned

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:21 AM

I was a bigger fan of R.E.M. in the early 80′s when they first came out, but this is one of my favorite R.E.M. songs even though it came out in 1994.

R.E.M — Star 69

Earlier favorite from R.E.M. from 1986. Oh to be 19 again.

R.E.M. — These Days

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Got spit curl?

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:27 AM

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:22 AM

I liked REM a lot myself..I thought this was one of their best..:)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:27 AM

The cutest thing I heard in a long time was when CM said her hubby was going to read to her a book: Atlas Shrugged.

Now that is luv. :)

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM

I agree!..:):)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:33 AM

One of my all-time favorite songs even though I was only two when these freaks were getting their groove on.

Blind Faith — Can’t Find My Way Home – 1969

I am wasted and I can’t find my way home. Unfortunately I can relate to that, err, could relate to that when I was younger. ;)

I love classics from Traffic, Cream, and Blind Faith. Basically whatever Clapton, Winwood, and Baker were calling their band at the time.

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:35 AM

Some sugar for your coffee, OC???

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Bifocals can be a pain…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Just wanted to add that Cindy Munford and Mr Munford have been married for 36 years!..I am impressed and I SALUTE them!..:)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Gohawgs

Ah, Van Morrison.

Here is my favorite Van Morrison song.

Moondance

Reminds me off the days sitting on the deck of a hotel at Myrtle Beach listening to music, drinking a cold beer and watching the lovely ladies walking down the street. Actually, that was last summer. ;)

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:46 AM

BST

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Oops. It worked—too loude, I might add.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Bifocals can be a pain…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Try the lineless trifocals–even worse.
I think I’ll download Firefox 4. May help.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Do what?…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:55 AM

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 5:53 AM

That whooosh wasn’t a Nike ad…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Yep.

Hey chief, ever have Maryland Blue Crabs, seasoned? And beer of course. Better than Maine Lobster.

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Dire, yes that is a good one from R.E.M. also. One of my favorites as well. I have to give them credit for still producing some great songs even in their later years. You don’t see that much with most bands. Usually they just get worse as they go along.

That is awesome news about Cindy and her husband. Wow, 36 years. That is outstanding. I survived a fourth of that with my marriage, so a big salute to them and I’m also very impressed and also very happy for them. Kudos to both of them for the sacrifices and hard work that is required to remain married that long.

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM

chief,

We played this for the pledges as they passed by our dorm enroute to the Sororities…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 6:01 AM

chief on March 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Nice post!..:)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Geo

No never had Maryland Blue Crabs. Sounds very tasty. I will add them to my ‘Bucket List’. Can you add food to a ‘Bucket List’?

That is a bold claim that they are better than Maine Lobster, but I trust you.

chief on March 26, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Bifocals can be a pain…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Well I would suggest getting progressive lens but you are a conservative. :)

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Think that’s what mine are…

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Good to see you OC!..:)

PS..Enjoyed it as always!..:):)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Yep. Congrats to them both, a very lucky guy…

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM

G’night.
Firefox 4 is different–will take some getting used to.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:40 AM

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:40 AM

I have confidence you can handle it!..:)

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Dire Straits on March 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

YT vids aren’t crashing now. I think I’ll learn to like it.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Geochelone on March 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Geo, go back and read your 5:31 post, then read my 5:38 post…Like OC, that whoooshing noise wasn’t a Nike ad…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 7:08 AM

I enjoy rebooting for an hour…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Good one.
Glad I downloaded Firefox 4. No probs with vids now.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 7:20 AM

I’ve never joined in your overnight youtube vids, but if you guys are going to post some Van the Man, well, I’ve got to jump in!

My personal favorite, from Irish Heartbeat with the Chieftans, just because it is so utterly joyful:

Marie’s Wedding

And

Carrickfergus

And

Star of the County Down

But, really, the whole freakin’ album is awesome. One of my very, very favorites.

I also love his Hymns to the Silence. My favorite hymn is “Be Thou My Vision” and his version is my favorite.

And how can anyone not love his “Have I Told you Lately”? Ahhhh.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM

I saw you guys posting Van the Man and I couldn’t help but post a few of my favorites, but my post isn’t showing (too many links?)… will it show eventually or should I repost and not include as many? TIA!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:30 AM

will it show eventually or should I repost and not include as many? TIA!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Go ahead and repost them, fewer at a time…

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Thanks, OC :)

Sooo, I’ve never joined in your overnite youtube vids, but the mention of Van the Man and I must jump in! First, two from Irish Heartbeat

My personal favorite simply because it is so utterly joyful:

Marie’s Wedding

And for utterly heartbreaking:

Carrickfergus

I love these, but really, the whole freakin’ album is awesome!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I also love his album, Hymns to the Silence. My favorite hymn is “Be Thou My Vision” and his version my favorite.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I have never heard these before. Listening to Carrickfergus now.
Thanks for sharing.

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Thanks Aslans Girl.

I had never heard those songs either. I had only heard a few of Van Morrison’s hits from his early albums.

We should have a new rule for QOTD threads. You can only argue politics until 11:59. Then After Midnight it’s all music.

chief on March 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

chief on March 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Wish you’d have posted that one while it was still dark outside.
;)

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Oh, I’m so glad you liked the links :) The album is very special to me as I’ve been listening to it since I was eight… childhood songs stay with you in such a powerful way.

Ok, here’s the last one from me — my all-time favorite singer, Hayley Westenra, singing one of my favorite songs from her, “Pokarekare Ana”. For me, her voice is the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Haley’s my governor and I like him….I would vote for him for President. He’s the truly No Drama man. And he’s spot on about how we should view global warming….I think what he means is that we should proceed in our lives as if oil will not last forever (not that it is destroying the world). I sugggest that Haley and all presidential candidates read Kenneth Deffeyes’ books, Hubbert’s Peak, Beyond Oil, and When Oil Peaked. We should be preserving fossil fuels for making plastic disposable sterile equipement such as syringes. Think about what was available before plastic.

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Alla, did this thread get hi-jacked….can you delete the garbage?

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Yep, Arkansas AND SC are still treated as 2nd class after 20 yrs in the SEC. I’m hoping Anderson gets us back to winning 25+ games each year. I expect season ticket sales to reverse their downward slide and now be in demand…FWIW, I always like State better than the tar heels, who Arkansas beat when Jordan was on their team…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 3:52 AM

Hey Gohawgs, gratz on getting Anderson. He’s a good coach and you guys have been long overdue in getting back to basketball prominence. Go SEC!

fossten on March 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Alla, did this thread get hi-jacked….can you delete the garbage?

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM

QOTD threads never stay on-topic, Sport.

gryphon202 on March 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Still listening to the whole album.
Thanks again…

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM

gryphon202 on March 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Wasn’t gonna’ comment, but smylatu must be a newbie to QOTD or something…

OmahaConservative on March 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Sorry for hijacking the thread with music.

Okay, back on topic and speaking of garbage. Can you help explain your governor’s position on pardoning these murderers? I know because he has the power to pardon, but I was curious if you had any insight or thoughts as a resident. I assume since you still support Barbour then none of the murder victims were friends or family members.

Haley Barbour’s Bizzare Pardon Record

chief on March 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Barbour’s thick southern tongue makes him unelectable.

Basilsbest on March 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM

As a fellow Mississippian, I do respect our governor, but, unfortunately, he will not be a front runner in this election cycle. However, this singular individual will, if they choose to run.

kingsjester on March 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Barbour’s thick southern tongue makes him unelectable.

Basilsbest on March 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Unfortunately that’s true. The elite mostly Northern media discrimination against all things South can be seen every day.

slickwillie2001 on March 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

As a tribute to Elizabeth Taylor, an apt quote from Butterfield 8:

NO SALE.

Mutnodjmet on March 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I’d love to see Gov Barbour debate POTUS, but don’t think its gonna get that far…

Khun Joe on March 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

“I think the prudent thing for us, when you consider the potential risk, the prudent thing is to proceed as if global warming is an issue, but we don’t have to destroy the American economy for no positive results to do that.”

Couldn’t the same thing be said about, oh, I dunno, potential invasion by space aliens?

Akzed on March 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM

responding to chief on March 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM and others…sorry so late responding as I had to attend a very sad funeral.

Not a newbie to Hot Air…was a regularly reader of Captain’s Quarter blog and followed the Captain to Hot Air. I just didn’t recognize some of the names and the topic seemed so off topic that I thought maybe someone was trying to hi-jack any discussion of H. Barbour. I read but don’t blog much.

I am not familiar with the pardons recorded in the referenced news report. The only people I heard he pardoned in the local news were the two sisters who were given a pretty harsh sentance for being the unsuccessful criminals they were. I’ll keep my eyes and ears open, but I doubt H. Barbour took action that I wouldn’t agree with taking.

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM

smylatu on March 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I hope the rain clouds parted for your friend…

Gohawgs on March 27, 2011 at 2:28 AM