Lautenberg: Republicans “don’t deserve the freedoms that are in the Constitution!”

posted at 12:55 pm on March 25, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Actually, it’s difficult to hear Senator Frank Lautenberg’s patronizing follow-up, because the right-to-life counterprotestors taping his remarks reacted vocally to the idea that an elected official would divide up Constitutional freedoms based on whether people “deserve” them or not. His allowance that he’d give those freedoms to Tea Partiers despite their political views might be even more offensive than his initial remark on Tuesday, as he addressed a Planned Parenthood demonstration:

… The Republicans in Congress claim they’re concerned about the budget balance, but it’s a disguise! It’s not true! It’s a lie! That’s not what they want. They want — they want other people not to be able to have their own opinions. They don’t deserve the freedoms that are in the Constitution! But we’ll give it to them anyway.

If there’s a better example of self-evident projection, I’d like to see it.  Lautenberg claims that Republicans want to outlaw opinions, based on nothing but apparently some slippage in his tinfoil hat.   He then assumes that the government has the power to do exactly what he accuses Republicans of desiring, but airily decides not to exercise it.

News flash to Lautenberg: rights are not Congress’ to grant or rescind at whim.  You don’t get to decide which people deserve rights to free speech, especially not based on political thought.  In fact, that’s the entire reason for the First Amendment, which restrains government from making that decision.  The “freedoms in the Constitution” aren’t a grant from Congress, but a recognition of innate human rights — and a restraint on Congress from violating them.

Perhaps Lautenberg might want to study the Constitution and its history before presuming that the Senate operates as a nobility that can choose to silence the serfs at whim.  Or at least get a tinfoil hat that fits.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Forgot to mention Mark Warner and Joe Manchin. Definitely liking Manchin right now.

NathanG on March 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

At some point, Libya is going to need a new despot. I think Lautenberg has a shot at it.

percysunshine on March 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Agreed, Percy. Except I would say “delusional, stupid, despot.”

NathanG on March 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Big talk from Lautenberg who was only elected by breaking New Jersey election law.

In spite of scandal the Democrats stuck with incumbent Senator Robert Torricelli well past the deadline for Lautenberg to file to run for the Senate. Only when it became clear that Torricelli would lose did the Democrats run Lautenberg in clear violation of New Jersey election law. The courts allowed it, but it was still a clear violation of state law.

RJL on March 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM

The government does not (and, indeed, can not) “give” me the freedoms that are in the Constitution, as they are not the government’s to give. Freedom belongs to us as “The People,” and the Constitution is the authority we gave the government, not the freedoms it allows us to keep.

Of course, liberals like Lautenberg view my freedom the same way they view my income– as something to be granted (in whole or in part) to me at the discretion of the government.

morganfrost on March 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Could someone please tell this idiot that the Constitution doesn’t give us our rights but dictates that the government can’t take them away. Also please remind this guy that the Democrats are not in the position to give us our rights since they are endowed by our creator.
What a piece of work!

mizflame98 on March 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM

What a piece of work sh*t!

mizflame98 on March 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Fixed it for ya!

NathanG on March 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Liberals don’t understand the concept of “rights”.

malclave on March 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I emailed for giggles:

Sir, I am not one of your constituents from NJ, but I heard what you said at the Planned Parenthood gathering about Republicans not deserving their Constitutional rights. Where I do not live in your district, any comment as to what you can do to me as a US Citizen concerns me, even in NC. You are obviously acting under the delusion that Congress actually has the ability to take our God-given rights from us.

Please take note – because you obviously need the schooling. Congress is held to the Constitution to guard the rights that are ours given by our Creator. It is the height of Constitutional ignorance to claim that Congress has the power to remove them.

Grow up, you elitist hack. You do not have, nor should you have the right to shut down those who do not agree with you politically.

You are a truly disgusting human being, and dishonor the office you hold.

Wendy Middleton
Raleigh, NC

tickleddragon on March 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Don’t worry, Democrats are often hard at work trying to remove those rights. Second Amendment anything, and 1st Amendment “Hate Speech” are two very good examples.

scotash on March 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM

As bad as Lautenberg is, I think Menendez is worse. I’ve emailed both of them and have never gotten more than a stupid “thank you for contacting me” form letter in reply.
And Frank Pallone is my congresscritter.

Pray for me.

Naturally Curly on March 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Of course this attempt to defund Planned Parenthood is ideological. This one’s fine with me as people who radically and overtly push the murder of infants disgust me.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Lautenberg……..supporter of American Genocide (mostly minorities).

You hear that Hispanics and African Americans?

PappyD61 on March 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

News flash to Lautenberg: rights are not Congress’ to grant or rescind at whim. You don’t get to decide which people deserve rights to free speech

Oh but they are! What you do to the Second Amendment, you do to them all.

ronsfi on March 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Typical Leftist logic: The group that has the utmost respect for the Constitution doesn’t deserve the liberites it guarantees. Liberalism is truly a mental disorder.

infidel4life on March 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Scratch a Jersey Dem, find a fascist.

ZK on March 25, 2011 at 7:54 PM

My father fought in WWII. He fought against the Nazi’s and for the nation he loved called America.

I don’t really have too much to say about my dad, I guess. I just thought what his response and others like him who fought in that war might be right now if they were to hear what this worthless man just said.
This is just so insulting, not just to Republicans, but to all Americans. It’s insulting to everything good and righteous. This man just said basically that people who oppose him and are of a different party should not have any freedom.
I wish I had something really witty to say, but I don’t. I am just so disgusted with all of these Democrats. I am so disgusted with the media.
This isn’t America. This man doesn’t represent America. He’s an insult to everything American. I don’t care what that makes me looks like… no… you know what that makes me look like? It makes me look like a real American! Because as much as I am disgusted by this cowardly and corrupt worthless excuse of a man, I would defend his right to speak his mind and voice his opinion on the public square… even though he obviously would have me imprisoned for speaking mine. What else does it mean when you say Republicans don’t deserve freedom? I don’t deserve the freedom to speak? The freedom to assemble? To petition my government? Neither me, nor my family, nor my neighbors… ?

I will speak and I will have my freedom. The Tea Party is not going to go away and neither are conservatives. The people are not going to shut up.

JellyToast on March 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM

America overtime doesn’t even represent America anymore. We’ve gone from a system that celebrated individual freedoms to a society that believes it’s okay to tell someone else how to live as long as you can get a majority.

A business owner can no longer have a bar that invites guests to smoke in his establishment.

Prohibition.

Outlaw of narcotics.

People even force other Americans to drive entirely too slow on the highways because of either incentive to gain funds for the government or because they just don’t like seeing people pass them.

I’ve known for a long time that we don’t believe in liberty or freedom anymore, but recently I had a rude awakening during my basic officer leadership school when my friend a foreign officer from Cape Verde (a african nation) told me that Americans aren’t very free. He laughed as he said, “For a country that honors freedom and liberty, you guys aren’t very free. You have so many laws. You stop each other from doing most things. The only kind of real freedom you guys enjoy that we don’t in Cape Verde is like the right to buy merchandise. You guys are really good at that.”

Wow. So when did it become that now Africans can say they are more free than us. I’m pretty sure it’s some point in the 1930s and then the 70s… and recently. BOO AMERICA BOO!

LordJack on March 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM

What Frank Lautenberg richly deserves is a good swift kick in the a$$, one delivered with extreme prejudice.

pilamaye on March 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Someone’s not keeping up with lautenberg’s diaper-change schedule.

wildweasel on March 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

The governments exist at our pleasure.
People seem to keep forgetting that.
Any govt can be taken away & replaced.
Our Constitution provides for that.
Indeed, what was that thing Jefferson said about feeding the Tree of Liberty?

What do you expect out of a member of a party formed by slave owners?

DJ Elliott on March 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Love this. +1000

Badger40 on March 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes truth. That is the basic approach of the progressives. It’s classic 1984ism at work, double think.

{^_^}

herself on March 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

This guy is losing it and should definitely retire. He let the cat out of the bag by accidentally letting the truth slip.

hachiban on March 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Obama told Univision‘s Jorge Ramos that President Felipe Calderon wasn’t informed of the operation because he — the president of the United States — wasn’t informed either. When asked whether he knew of the weapon smuggling plan, Obama responded that it is “a pretty big government” with “a lot of moving parts.” (reported by My San Antonio)

Bullyhockey.

hachiban on March 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Bullyhocky, of course, has nothing to do with the latest distraction by our Dear Leader. But of course he also knew about Operation Gunwalker, as referenced above. He’s been lusting after any excuse to crack down on guns, even if he claimed he wasn’t during the campaign.

Lautenberg or Obama. Two guys with but one thought — how to circumvent the Constitution and institute their idea of Utopia. The only difference is that Lautenberg lacks the mental faculties to keep it to himself.

hachiban on March 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I live in NJ and I am stuck with this jerk…. at least until he keels over.

worlok on March 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Lautenberg is older than dirt, and should be in an old folks home for sure! Sounds like his liberal mind is going bye bye.

GFW on March 26, 2011 at 9:49 PM

But wait! The former senior Senator from NJ helped to ban smoking on airlines!!

ArmchairEnergist on March 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM