Tester: Hey, I was only the 52nd vote for ObamaCare!

posted at 9:30 am on March 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

For the past year, the NRSC has run ads against Senate Democrats labeling them as the “60th vote” for ObamaCare, the enabler of the legislation to pass into law.  Until now, none of them have been foolish enough to dispute this claim and engage the NRSC on its own terms.  Thankfully, Jon Tester of Montana has decided to clarify matters … by producing video of his vote to support the bill:

Here’s a line Democratic Sen. Jon Tester can expect to hear a lot from Republicans over the next year and a half: He was “the 60th vote” for the health care law.

That’s how the National Republican Senatorial Committee phrased it Wednesday to remind Montana voters that Tester — who’s facing a tough race for reelection next year — supported the law. His opponent, Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg, not only opposed the law known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) but is also trying to cut off the funding for it.

Tester’s office was ready, though. His aides e-mailed the video of the Senate roll call vote in December 2009 — which clearly shows Tester casting the 52nd vote.

Who was the actual 60th vote?  Ben Nelson of Nebraska, who would have plenty of problems even if he and Tester had switched positions.  Between the vote itself, the Cornhusker Kickback, and Nelson’s sell-out of his stated pro-life principles, he’ll be lucky if he can buy pizza in Nebraska ever again.

But in truth, every Democrat in the Senate was the 60th and deciding vote.  Had one of them decided not to vote for cloture, the bill would have died on the floor of the Senate, and Barack Obama would have had to work with Republicans for actual reform in health-care finances.  Whether that vote got cast as the 52nd vote, the 14th vote, the first or the last, each and every Democrat in the Senate had the personal and individual opportunity to stop ObamaCare.

If Tester wants a public debate on the relative merits of voting 52nd instead of 60th on ObamaCare, though, I’m sure the NRSC would be happy to oblige him.

Comments

ROFL

These people are morons.

Bishop on March 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Psssst, ruling class, we rubes really aren’t that stupid.

rbj on March 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Stupid people are ruining this country.

ButterflyDragon on March 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Don’t pis$ down my back and tell me it’s rainin’.

darwin-t on March 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM

“I was the eighth from the last straw that broke the camel’s back. Huge difference,” -Tester.

Akzed on March 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Don’t forget the congressmen who voted against it (because they had cover and their vote wasn’t needed), but when the crucial vote came in the congress a couple of weeks ago, changed and voted with obama. JIM MATHSEON of utah comes to mind. He made such a deal about reading it all (ya, like I believe that) and because of that he voted against it, the first time. Remember the zero appointed his brother as a fed judge and so he was given permission by the O to vote against it so no one could say obama bought his vote. However, he wouldn’t say how he would vote until he knew they had enough votes and then little jimmy voted NO! What a puss!

Bambi on March 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Yeah? Well I’m the third poster to this thread and I vote that you’re an idiot.

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Ron White famously said, “You can’t fix stupid.” Dear Montana voters, in this case you can fix stupid, or at least get rid of it on November 6, 2012.

WordsMatter on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I can’t believe Tester still has that mullet.

Lothar on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Ow! How’d he mangle his left hand?

S. Weasel on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

He makes a great point, akin to: My knife wound wasn’t the one that actually killed the victim, I was only the 52nd stabber, the 60th stabber actually inflicted the fatal wound.

Tim Zank on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Yeah? Well I’m the third seventh poster to this thread and I vote that you’re an idiot.

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

“I was only the 52nd person to put a bullet into the body of Lady Liberty.”

-Tester

Bishop on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

If Tester was proud of it, he would be handing out bumper stickers saying he was #52.

Vashta.Nerada on March 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Not only did this dolt vote for this putrid pile of socialist goat dung, he doesn’t even have the guts to own up to it. Crawling out from under a rock would be a step up for him and his ilk.

rplat on March 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Ewwww…Wikipedia says “meat grinder incident.”

S. Weasel on March 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Yeah? Well I’m the third s eventh twelfth poster to this thread and I vote that you’re an idiot.

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I am NOT Sparticus!

Dusty on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

You’llhaveto forgive him… he’s just trying out his new standup routine.

He has to make sure he gets it right, because he’s going to be looking for a new gig pretty soon.

JohnGalt23 on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Wow, that’s his defense? Yes, voters, I voted for this awful bill that reduces your freedom to make your own health care choices and raises your health care costs — but mine wasn’t the last vote?

Tester, as your vote proved, you’re an idiot.

AZCoyote on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Even though I was the 52nd vote. I got a waiver to avoid imposing Obama Care for the entire state.

-Tester

Guest1.1 on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

So, essentially he’s asking for a waiver from his Obamacare vote?

myrenovations on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

“I’m one of the masters of this hole. There are five masters in all. We are all moles, of course. I believe I’m the third strongest amongst us. Take your best shot!”

thebrokenrattle on March 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I’m almost certain that only one Senator delivered the fatal “knife in the back” of Caesar.

Rovin on March 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM

If he had only remembered to vote “present” he could hve parlayed this right into the Oval Office in 2016.

sdd on March 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM

“I’m really the third strongest master. I’ll destroy you now!”

thebrokenrattle on March 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM

it wasn’t a vote….it was a Kinetic Congressional Action.

ted c on March 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM

“My strength falls between the second and fourth strongest masters. Do you wanna test me?”

thebrokenrattle on March 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Yes, Tester, stick with that. Sure to Win The Future!

Naturally Curly on March 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Tester is the one the Dems pawned off as some hard-scrabble cattle farmer. Who turned out to be an organic pea farmer or something.

kevinkristy on March 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Tester’s getting desperate, IMHO, because polls are starting to show him in a statistical dead heat with Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT).

That’s not a good sign this far out from the election, especially since Tester’s going to be forced to take some unpopular positions between now and 2012.

Between him and Claire McCaskill, I think one of them will beat Blanche Lincoln’s record for “biggest @ss-beating of a sitting Senator” if they don’t drop out of the race.

teke184 on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for this article Ed… This will be Testers undoing here in Montana for sure. Obamacare is polling 62% negative here in Montana and only 27% favorable. The report card (voting record) is watched and spread very closely here now that we have a communication network established to combat the network news. Testers voting record is lock step with the entire Obama/Pelosi/Reid agenda.

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

It must have been the messaging.

BetseyRoss on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

“I’m truly the third strongest master of this hole. I’ll demonstrate the power of being third to you!”

thebrokenrattle on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I have yet to see a libtard that isn’t a total wackadoodle. Tester fits in nicely.

ladyingray on March 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Tim Zank on March 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Hey, it worked in Murder on the Orient Express.

Doughboy on March 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Tester is currently running radio ads here in Montana trying to tell the people that he’s fighting the big government cats in D.C….. Liar and Liberal are one with each other.

In the meanwhile, Denny Rehberg is loading his guns…

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM

teke184 on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Internal polling here in Montana have Rehberg up anywhere from 2 points to 5 points, and the campaign hasn’t even started yet. This will likely be a race that Rehberg wins by 7 percent or greater. Montanans are not happy campers right now!

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM

“Ha ha ha. You’ve fought the strongest master of this hole, the second strongest master of this hole, the fourth strongest master of this hole, and the weakest master of this hole! I’m truly the third strongest master of this hole. Now you see the true advantage of being third!”

thebrokenrattle on March 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Tester: I was the 52nd vote from the 57th state.

Steve Z on March 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM

We the voters vote these stupid turds into office. Turds always float to the top of the punch bowl.

Wade on March 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM

“I was only the guy cheering Jody Foster on the pinball machine “

Marley's Ghost on March 24, 2011 at 10:05 AM

A vote is a vote…

rich801 on March 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

One…Two…Five! Three, Sir! Three!

unclesmrgol on March 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Liar and Liberal are one with each other

You can’t spell Liberal without Liar.

ConservativeinCO on March 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

We can only hope that NRSC uses this to put a stake in the heart of Tester’s political career.

Slowburn on March 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Exactly!!!! Whether they voted first, last or somewhere in between…they voted for it. Now they’re wanting waivers from this great, magnificent, wonderful, life changing , errr life ending bill? Pfffffffffffffft.

To all those who voted for this crap. BITE ME!!!

capejasmine on March 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hey, it worked in Murder on the Orient Express.

Doughboy on March 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Darn, you spoiled the ending :)

Wade on March 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM

myrenovations on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I guess I forgot the “sarc” in my post

Guest1.1 on March 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

And the Lord spake, saying, “First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

fossten on March 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

These people are morons.

Bishop on March 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM

The true morons are the relatively conservative people of Montana (fer cripes sakes) who would vote for a fu**ing Democrat and expect Montana values to suddenly appear.

Hopefully they will flush this turd next November.

Jaibones on March 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

ConservativeinCO on March 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Dang! Ya beat me to it!

TugboatPhil on March 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Hopefully they will flush this turd next November.

Jaibones on March 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The man was toast the day he voted for Obamacare and then hid out from townhalls… Tester barely beat Burns in 06 even though Burns did himself in with some stupid out of state money crap he got caught up in. The media pounced on that like stink on c**p and painted Burns as the biggest criminal to ever hit Montana; Burns response was weak to say the least.

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

He’s telling the truth, I think he should be given some credit for it!

Seeing as we still have over 52 Democrats, we should make sure to turn the numbers around.

amazingmets on March 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I remember interviews with him before he was elected, and Governement Takeover of Healthcare. Would you vote for it? “Oh no! No! No! No!”
The Dems would be better off running an Arab in a turbin in Montana.

Marcus on March 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Things aren’t going well in Obamacare Land. I was reading Money Magazine last month, and they had two big articles about investing in Healthcare. In both, they referenced “the law” without stating WHAT law it was. You had to read well into the story for “the law” to even be given a name in one, and it never WAS spelled out in the other. If it was so great, they would be touting that name everywhere. And in the one they finally did reference it, it was called by the law name, not “Obamacare.”

Face it, even the libs are starting to figure out how badly this thing stinks. If you’ve lost Anthony Weiner and Money, you’re going DOWN!

UnderstandingisPower on March 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Rod on March 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM

At least you can count. That’s more than we can say for Tester!

txhsmom on March 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I am NOT Sparticus!

Dusty on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Classic, I love it!

ROTFLMAO!!!

belad on March 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT and primary him. Make his life difficult by phoning, writing, e-mailing, etc… He needs to suffer before he gets shown the door!
BTW, its “Spartacus”… But the reference rocks!

Khun Joe on March 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM

What a friggin’ dope.

Tim_CA on March 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Why did all the Democrats vote for Obamacare? Why did they go along with all the cheating and shenanigans it took to pass it? Why did they vote against their constituents who showed up in unheard of record numbers to scream at the top of their lungs “don’t do it!”?

CCRWM on March 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Khun Joe on March 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Oh we are doing something about this…
We have been very busy the last three years here building a communication network and a very healthy TP…

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

This link has a discussion of the updated numbers from the CBO on the cost of the insurance subsidies.

Surprise surprise, they cost $100 billion more than originally estimated. Add that to the 50% reduction in “savings” you get when you actually read page 5 of CBO’s final PPACA scoring letter to Reid, and I think we can now show using CBO’s own numbers that Obamacare adds to the deficit. Meaning, of course, they lied to get it through reconciliation once Scott Brown was elected.

But you knew that already.

DrSteve on March 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Tester’s argument about being the 52nd vote oddly makes me think of Spinal Tap and Nigel’s amplifier that went to ’11′.

olesparkie on March 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I am NOT Sparticus!

Dusty on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Classic, I love it!

ROTFLMAO!!!

belad on March 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I agree. I wish I was as witty as other HA readers.

tommer74 on March 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Where in Montana? I have people there.

DrMagnolias on March 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Not a smart statement Senator.

You are a coward, and a corrupt man.

scotash on March 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Arguing that sort of technicality will earn him a spot in the crr6 Hall of Fame.

Scrappy on March 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM

We hope to send him back to his wheat field near Big Sandy. Either that, or he can teach trumpet again.

Kissmygrits on March 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM

What difference does it make if you voted #60 or #1 or somewhere in bewtween. You still voted for it you dumb donkey.

Mirimichi on March 24, 2011 at 1:33 PM

You’re the walking dead politically speaking, Tester.

Same with your buddy Nelson. Take lots of pictures of your office so you can have that as a memento when you’re chucked on your keister next year and get to enjoy spending more time with your family.

powerpro on March 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM

This was certainly a misstep, but Tester won’t go down easily to defeat. He has always been a tough campaigner (going back to his days in the Legislature), and he gets more enthusiastic support from his base than other statewide Ds, which probably translates to more donations.

The GOP is fortunate Rehberg has entered this race, as I think he’s the only Republican who could beat Tester (because the GOP “bench” in MT is not at all deep). Nevertheless, Rehberg has sometimes had a tendency to do or say things to get himself in trouble, so he needs to really watch himself to avoid gift-wrapping the next pro-Tester ad for the Democrats.

acasilaco on March 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Where in Montana? I have people there.

DrMagnolias on March 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I’m just outside of Columbus; Stillwater County…

Keemo on March 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM