Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on March 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Speaking Wednesday night to Greta Van Susteren on Fox News, the former Alaska governor shrugged off what she contends is a double standard in the way conservative women are treated.

“‘I’m through whining about a liberal press that holds conservative women to a different standard, because it doesn’t do any good to whine about it,’ Palin said. ‘When a shot is taken at me, it is water off a duck’s back because I know the important things we need to concentrate on in life — especially the national and international issues that are so important in our country.’”

***
“I’ve given this a lot of thought, and I’d like to share my thoughts on the never-ending issue of media bias.

“When it comes to responding to the media, the standard warning is: Don’t pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel because calling out the media and holding them accountable is a risky endeavor. Too often the first instinct is to ignore blatant media bias, crudeness, and outright lies, and just hope the media instigator will grow up and provide fairer coverage if you bite your tongue and not challenge the false reporting of an openly hostile press. But I’ve never bought into that. That’s waving the white flag. I just can’t do it because I have too much respect for the importance of a free press as a cornerstone of our democracy, and I have great respect for the men and women in uniform who sacrifice so much to defend that First Amendment right. Media, with freedom comes responsibility…

“But two decades in politics have taught me that when it comes to picking battles, often it’s best to ignore the truly petty, ugly personal media shots because engaging in a counter argument with disreputable, intolerant people doesn’t vindicate me; it merely gives those people the attention they seek. It wastes my time and it distracts from what we should focus on…

“I’ll keep correcting false reporting, and I’ll defend others to the hilt; but I won’t spend any more precious, limited time responding to personal, vulgar, sexist venom spewed my way.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

The problem Palin’s detractors have in bringing her down is their desperate reliance on negative stereotypes developed over the years by the entertainment industry.

Saltysam on March 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Oh Dear God. You folks are reaching a tipping point in the long drawn-out justification of Palin. Pace yourselves, we have many, many months to go.

sherry on March 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Palin (and maybe Christie) are the only potential candidates that would really make a splash.

I wonder, though. If Bachmann is running, doesn’t it mean that Palin isn’t going to run?

I think Palin can exert more influence on the party without running, anyway.

hawksruleva on March 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

What are you talking about? I didn’t “dump on Palin”. Ergo, your a/b/c scenario is a total fail.

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Oh Dear God

sherry on March 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Desperation.

Saltysam on March 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

If I were talking about you in that post, I would have used your name. I did not, hence the generic scenario.

reading comprehension FAIL.

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

reading comprehension FAIL.
Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Really? That a/b/c scenario you devised was in response to a comment about me. But now you’re pretending it wasn’t about me? The failure is all yours, my friend.

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

India and Israel

Timing

Clear Symbolism

Bold colors

Saltysam on March 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Mighty self conscious, aren’t you?

If I were talking about you, I would have talked about you.

I didn’t.

I was reflecting back on over two years of Sarah Palin threads here, and how many of them wind up playing out.

Regardless, you now seem to want to start yet another pointless circular feud over irrelevant minutia and go on and on about it.

I don’t.

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Nice try, but if you respond to a comment which is specifically about me and then try and pretend it’s not about me (and have the gall to call me “self-conscious” for drawing a logical conclusion!) you are beneath contempt. Either that our you don’t have two brain cells to rub together. The fact that you characterize attacking Ed and Allah at their own blog as “irrelevant minutae” lends credence to the possibility that you are both ethically and mentally challenged. If you’re confused by this I suggest you go back and re-read this thread from the beginning. Let me help you out! My first comment was here.

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Even more insults.

Save it, I’m not playing.

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I think Palin can exert more influence on the party without running, anyway.

hawksruleva on March 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I think the opposite. Bachmann will play the decoy to take the heat off of Palin.

NoLeftTurn on March 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Cool. Now we can add “holier than thou” to “beneath contempt” and “doesn’t have two brain cells to rub together”.

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Shut up already.

steebo77 on March 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Your neighbors must loooove you.

Aitch748 on March 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

That’s because some folks believe that if you support Palin, you must share the same brain or something.

powerpro on March 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Brian1972 on March 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I agree with you that I should leave this blog and go to my blog? I should stop reading Ed and Allah because the insufferable jackass unseen thinks they have turned it into a tabloid? Wow, this all makes so much sense./

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

This has nothing to do with Palin. Or Romney. Or any politician. It has to do with what unseen said about the level of content at Hot Air.

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Buy Danish on March 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

It’s nice to know you spent 14 hours complaining about something so important as what unseen thinks about content at HotAir. Really makes you seem like the serious, thoughtful debater we’ve come to know and love.

alwaysfiredup on March 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Buy Danish,

Lighten up, Frances…IF Ed or Allah take offense at a commenter’s post, whatever the content, they have the wherewithal to respond for themselves. This is the 2nd day in a row that you’ve cherry picked a comment by unseen (male) and then proceeded to harp on that cherry picked comment over the course of several hours and into the next day. On 3-23, you even made a quip about unseen’s kids. That’s not what many people would consider to be rational behavior…

No one is twisting your arm in an attempt to elicit comments from you about a story post or a fellow commenter’s comment. You have free will. Read the stories that Ed and Allah post, if you wish. Or don’t. Comment if you desire. Or don’t…Don’t cost nothing…

Gohawgs on March 25, 2011 at 8:08 PM

alwaysfiredup on March 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I responded to the asinine responses to my original (most excellent!) comment, one being an asinine comment about my blog by a commenter who then went on to make up a b.s. story and say a comment he made wasn’t about me – when it clearly was since he responded to a comment which specifically mentioned me by name. In the process I ignored many of the swarmers bzzzzzzzzzzmittbzzzzzzzzzzzmitt, but chose to respond to others.

Gohawgs on March 25, 2011 at 8:08 PM

No sale. I will comment or not comment as much as I want. What I will not do is insult my hosts at Hot Air. Funny how not a one of you have told unseen to take a hike but you’re all over me like swarming bees.

Buy Danish on March 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Buy Danish on March 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM

RIF as that’s what I wrote…When you get around to pulling that log out of your eye, you might notice that I, and others, have asked unseen to tone it down from time to time…Since this is all about you, I must have missed unseen, or any other commenter, snark about your kids or other family members as you did about unseen’s…

Gohawgs on March 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM