Civilization ends: Greatest film character of all time is … Forrest Gump

posted at 8:26 pm on March 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

Not our usual fare but I cannot be silent. How can Forrest Gump be the greatest character of all time when he’s not even really a character? He’s a pure plot device, a Christmas tree on which to hang gimmicky little zeitgeist ornaments for the baby-boomer audience to ooh and ahh at in recognition. Good lord. Who finished second? Clyde from “Every Which Way But Loose”?

People who are fascinated by Forrest Gump must watch Elvis’s movies and find his characters amazing.

While Gump was the runaway winner, British secret agent James Bond was named as the second greatest film character…

Scarlett O’Hara was rated as the third most memorable character.

The performance by British star Vivien Leigh as the feisty southern belle in the epic “Gone with the Wind” made her the only female character in the top five.

Anthony Hopkins performance as Hannibal Lecter helped the cannibalistic serial killer rate fourth in the poll.

Indiana Jones, played by Harrison Ford, was named as the fifth most popular character.

Respectable choices all, although Scarlett’s the only “realistic” character in the top five. Am I wrong about Gump, meanwhile? I get why people might revert to him when put on the spot with a question about great characters: His name’s in the title so he leaps to mind, and he is memorable in his own contrived, no-dimensional way. But … there has to be a better answer. There has to be. Sam Spade? Luke Skywalker? Rooster Cogburn? Blanche DuBois? Somebody? Hello?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

While the character is not original, it does seem to fit the requirement of most memorable character. I was under the impression that Forrest Gump was a retelling of Candide with a pointedly, less cynical take on society and history, one made less cynical because of the American backdrop.

AllahP’s snark doesn’t seem to really work when you think about the way the baby-boomers are portrayed in the movie and the results of their actions. The hippies are shown to be a fickle and stupid lot. Jenny’s ‘freespirit’ life leads to getting AIDS and leaving a child behind! Doesn’t exactly cover the boomers in glory, does it?

The character works in terms of a uber-movie character in one spectacular way; he exists under the frame of an exaggerated coming-of-age story (bildungsroman), and travels through a war movie, a romance, a friendship tale, and then returns to a coming-of-age story. If I wanted to really stretch it, I’m sure I could work in a sports movie (the unlikely college football player becomes a ping-pong champ) and a spy tale (seeing Marilyn Monroe’s pic while using JFK’s loo.)

So as odd a choice as it sounds, it looks like the wisdom of crowds worked out well in this case.

chimney sweep on March 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Brando and DeNiro each won an Oscar for playing Vito Corleone. It’s the only instance when two actors won the statue for playing the same character. So, the winner is…

joejm65 on March 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Daniel plainview
Hal 9000

snoopicus on March 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Spartacus.

Philip Marlowe.

Ben-Hur.

Sean “Trooper Thorn” Thornton in “The Quiet Man”.

Yojimbo.

George Bailey.

Vito Corleone.

Han Solo.

Lassie.

Even Sparks Moran, super spy in “The Creature from the Haunted Sea” (played by later Oscar winning writer for “Chinatown”, Robert Towne).

Hell, Tank Girl is more interesting than Forest Chump.

profitsbeard on March 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

i don’t know I hav ebeen saying all day their are a lot of Gump clones around hotair. Mostly those bashing Palin.

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Dalton from Roadhouse

Proud Rino on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM

What about Rocky Balboa!/..:)

Dire Straits on March 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Judge Smails (Ted Knight) in Caddyshack

Erich66 on March 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Bill Kilgore, because he loves the smell of napalm in the morning and is aware of the fact that Charlie don’t surf.

FWIW, Forrest Gump wasn’t even the best character in the movie – Lieut. Dan, anyone?

elcapt on March 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I agree with the gentlemen on page 1, Dr. Stangelove and Slim Pickens for the win.

xplodeit on March 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

An honorable mention has to go to Peter Sellers for his legendary portrayal of Inspector Clouseau. Sellers had more talent in his toe nail clippings than Hanks could have in 10 lifetimes. “Does your diiiiiig bite?”

joejm65 on March 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I like Forrest Gump. Enough of your elitist blather, Allah.

ted c on March 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Bond… James Bond…

Khun Joe on March 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

It’s a sign of the pocky-clips, AP.

Make of it what you will.

Bruno Strozek on March 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I don’t mind Forest, he had limited abilities but worked hard and achieved. Basically a sound character

And more admirable than Scarlet or Vito

clnurnberg on March 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

How can Forrest Gump be the greatest character of all time. . . ?

Because, as John the Libertarian, said earlier, Forrest Gump proved the fallacy of the Leftist belief that they’re the smart ones, and we’re the dummies. Life is the ultimate intelligence test. And Gump, although called “stupid” and looked down upon, succeeded admirably through wise choices. On the other hand, his intelligent liberal love died because of her poor choices. And his intelligent friend, the Lieutenant, was saved only by reaccepting gump’s values once more.

Indeed, I believe this ironic film is a Conservative masterpiece, wonderfully illustrating Gump’s maxim that “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Finally, Allah, should you still doubt me, ask yourself this question: “Who would you rather have been elected president in 2008, Barack Obama, or Forrest Gump?”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

am I the only one that liked Clyde?

Over50 on March 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I just see celebrity Tom Hanks doing a goofy southern drawl

Based on a show on ABC the other night, he got that accent by imitating the actor who played Gump as a kid.

Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer)

Gotta agree. Single greatest performance of all time.

slug on March 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM

It seems that everytime HA does a film thread, I end up shaking my head at the comments. Forrest Gump may not deserve best film character, but it’s not a bad movie by any means.

In fact, it’s a fantastic movie.

You-Eh-Vee on March 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Dalton from Roadhouse

Worthy choice.

I’d say Sam Elliot’s character, but I can’t believe I can’t remember the name.

So I’ll say Plumley.

joejm65 on March 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

A great choice. Clouseau was brilliant. I scanned the list a bit this AM, but I can’t now. Where did Clouseau rate?

Still, I can’t get too worked up over a People magazine poll.

I would add Mr. Miagi, The man with no name, Col. Nicholson (Bridge on the River Kwai), The Terminator, Mad Max, and of course Roman Moroni, you iceholes.

reaganaut on March 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Naw, c’mon, Forest is totally a real character.

forest on March 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I would prefer President Gump, he knew how to work hard and produce something useful. Obama? “Just words”

clnurnberg on March 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more. And lo and behold, Jenny the liberal was holding deep resentment over her abusive father.

John the Libertarian on March 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Kini: You mentioned the Pythons.
At a family reunion in ’07 me, one of my brother-in-laws, along with my son and nephews(at the time ALL 13) did this skit.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Almost forgot Batman and the Joker. Surely they are high up on the list, between Jack in the 80s version and with Heath Ledger’s excellent recent version, the Joker has to be up there with the People magazine crowd.

reaganaut on March 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

am I the only one that liked Clyde?

Over50 on March 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Clyde is by far a better character than Gump.

cobrakai99 on March 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Wikus Van Der Merwe.

BDavis on March 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I though Peter O’Toole as Alan Swan in ‘My Favorite Year’ was brilliant!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Jack Nicholson as Randle Patrick McMurphey in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

RedRedRice on March 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Hell, Jack Nicholson in anything is better than Hanks.

The Ugly American on March 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Ok, it’s a favorites list. Sort of like asking what’s your favorite ice cream flavor.

My favorite movie/tv characters:

Spock
Louis De Palma
Cartman
Philip E. Marlow

Captain Kirock on March 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

[reaganaut on March 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM]

What I get stuck on whether it is the character that is good or that it’s the actor/actress that I like. It’s like the problem I have with Jack Nicholson, because with every movie the character is just manifestation of Jack Nicholson and not a movie character.

When this was up in the Headlines, I was thinking Bill Porter in “Door to Door” was head and shoulders above Forrest Gump as a great character, but that was a made for TV movie.

I like your suggestions of Mr. Miagi and Col. Nicholson. I never was much of a Guinness fan but think it’s a great choice.

Dusty on March 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Here, here, Dr. Charles G. Waugh. Excelent points.

I don’t mind Gump either, and the film, when it came out, was actually controversial because National Review made a point to highlight its conservative values… and the Hollywood Reporter picked up on the story. Zemeckis dismissed the NR article saying John Simon didn’t know what he was talking about.

As for the other characters, I’d place Scarlett above Bond, but then I’m a Southerner and really partial to both Gump and Scarlett for that reason. (I’m upset that they never get a Southerner to play the voice of God in those Biblical epics – God is a Southerner. Look at the Book of Leviticus and all thouse sacrifices that are “pleasing to God’s nostrils” – sounds like typical Carolina barbeque to me!)The rest are fine choices.

As for other contenders, how about… Commander J.J. Adams (Leslie Nielson) in Forbidden Planet (without him, there is no James T. Kirk or Han Solo), or Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) in Double Indemnity? Or Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) in Duck Soup?

Or heck… Crow T. Robot, from Mystery Science Theatre 3000 the Movie. “Mike you want to hand me my calculations!? Thank you! Awww, look at that! ‘Breach hull, all die!’ Even had it underlined!” —– Maybe the funniest line I’ve ever heard!

papabryant on March 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Dusty on March 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

You’re probably right about the Joker.

I always loved Bridge on the River Kwai because I thought Guinness was great, but the character was even better. Pride, stubbornness, tragedy all rolled into one. The edning is still one of my favorite scenes, and I always see the doctor saying, “Madness…madness” when I read some politics story these days.

Just so I don’t get too serious, I’ll also nominate Leon (The Professional) and Khan!.

reaganaut on March 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

joejm65 on March 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

“OWWW! I thought you said your diiig does not bite!”

“That ees not my dog.”

Classic.

OneVision on March 24, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Good lord. Who finished second? Clyde from “Every Which Way But Loose”?

Heh, oh lawdy i lol’d.

clearbluesky on March 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM

reaganaut on March 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Gotta admit, Khan was the first character that entered my mind. He gets my vote for the sheer intensity that Ricardo Mantalban gave that role. Hope I can look as buff when I get to be the age he was when that film was made.

“From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee. For hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee.” – Khan quoting Captain Ahab from Moby Dick in his final moment. Another classic moment.

Speaking of Captain Ahab, that character, played by Gregory Peck, finishes a very close second on my list.

OneVision on March 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Roman Moroni, you iceholes.

F T W , you fargin’ bastiges !

Frank_D on March 24, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I refused to watch this movie because I don’t believe in celebrating stupidity. It’s the same reason I have no use for Obama, Moore, Maher, Olberman, Matthews etc etc etc.

Basilsbest on March 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Johnny 5 !!!!

p40tiger on March 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Rick and Ilsa from “Casablanca”
Rhett Butler
Amon Goeth from “Schindler’s List” – (I know, he was a real person, but the actor scared the sh*t out of me in that performance)
Anyone Gary Oldman plays, ever.

I didn’t mind “Forrest Gump” as a movie, but it was rather a turgid and preachy bore. I’ve seen it a few times and basically went “meh”.

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I worked on Forrest Gump

G. on March 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Perhaps Forest Gump could trade places with our God King who resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. It might just be an inprovement.

Really Right on March 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I refused to watch this movie because I don’t believe in celebrating stupidity.

Too late.

You-Eh-Vee on March 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Really? I remember Judy Dench (Shakespeare in Love) winning an Oscar as Queen Elizabeth I and I remember Cate Blanchett nominated for the same Queen but in “Elizabeth”. That would have been something, both winning in the same year for playing the same character.

Marcus on March 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Woops, my response above is to:

joejm65 on March 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Marcus on March 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Paul Kersey, Charles Bronson’s character from Death Wish.

Conservative Gunman on March 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Paul Kersey, Charles Bronson’s character from Death Wish.

Conservative Gunman on March 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Don’t knock his ice cream over!

Conservative Gunman on March 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

You know what Jack Burton says in a time like this.

Who?

Jack Burton– Me!

– Jack Burton, played by Kurt Russel, from “Big Trouble in Little China”, arguably the best action hero ever.

Nethicus on March 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Good lord. Who finished second? Clyde from “Every Which Way But Loose”?

=)

docob on March 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Kiddo -Kill Bill Vol 1/2.

Hands down.

Aquateen Hungerforce on March 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

I worked on Forrest Gump

G. on March 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I worked on Jenny

Aquateen Hungerforce on March 25, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I LOVE Tank Girl!!!

but I’d pick Vin Diesal in Chronicles of Riddick! Way too laid back till he needs to fight….

Vntnrse on March 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM

That little native guy in ‘The Gods Must Be Crazy’.

trigon on March 25, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I love Khan too – great villain, great portrayal. I’d also recommend another screen villain = Frank, Henry Fonda’s legendary bad guy in Sergio Leone’s “Once Upon A Time in the West”.

A little kid sees five men massacre his family. Who did this? Who could have committed this atrocity? Why, it’s Henry Fonda, playing the villain for the first and only time in his career.

“What do we do with this one, Frank?”
“Well, now that you’ve called me by name.” (draws his gun, the shot is heard off screen)

Epic.

KillerKane on March 25, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Hell, Tank Girl is more interesting than Forest Chump.

profitsbeard on March 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I’m surprised you failed to give a shout out to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

The way the left goes on about George W. Bush’s intelligence…although I do find it funny that the same people who thought W was dumb was also duped (their words) into believing there were WMDs in Iraq. I would often ask them if Bush was Forrest Gump or Carlos the Jackal. they always want to change the subject after that.

mizflame98 on March 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I actually kind of agree with this choice. Gump’s phrases are everywhere in the lexicon. The Bubba Shrimp bit is used – altered in various way – on lots of different tv shows. Let’s be absolutely honest with ourselves here, it’s not that in this generation and in this time that “stupid” actualy “is”, it’s that the majority want the simpleness. People don’t want to be “here and now” for a myriad of obvious reasons and the epic run across the nation and then back haunts nearly everyone who has ever seen that film. Just as Jimmy Stewarts characters were the amalgamation of “Every man” in his day, Forrest Gump was us in this day. As a work of fiction it covered the entire canvas of the boomers and showed us exactly why we are currently regressing so rapidly into a single leaf floating into nothing at a bus stop.

Of course that could be total bullshit pulled out of nowhere, but someone has to play the devils advocate and defend Gump from Allahpundit or this thread would be a real drag.

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM

He was better in Club Paradise IMHO

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Christopher Lambert.

Koa on March 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Daydreaming now at work … why you do that to me?

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM

No shout out for Det. Thorn?

mizflame98 on March 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Ack – I’ missed the Boomer cut off by several years BTW but Gump IS the boomer spectrum and as the majority of the population are boomers, I can see why they would choose him to represent. It was burn it to the ground, back to the garden nihlist fantasy ripped down to the most basic existence of waiting at a bus stop for your offspring to return. Deep.

sigh.

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Rick Blaine or even Capt. Renault from Casablanca. Gump, no.

Sporty1946 on March 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Ben Hur. Doesn’t matter who’s second, third, etc.

SKYFOX on March 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

RUNAWAY winner ???
What mental institution was this poll taken in ?

LODGE4 on March 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

The unwashed masses prove they are so. Again.

Dave Rywall on March 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hmmmm….

Clint Eastwood’s spaghetti western “man with no name” and especially his Dirty Harry Callahan characters put them all to shame.

bannedbyhuffpo on March 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch = Favorite character ever!

Though Indiana Jones is close. I don’t mind Forrest Gump and I think I’m the only girl I know who cheered when Rhett Butler told Scarlett, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a da*n.” Scarlett was a witch and didn’t deserve him. ;)

pannw on March 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM

What about William Wallace (Braveheart)? Champion of Freedom.
Mr.Smith (Goes to Washington)? Champion of the American citizen.
Moses (The ten commandments)? Liberator extraordinaire.
Forest Gump??????? Really?????

IowaWoman on March 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM

“Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, now prepare to die.”

“Inconceivable.”
“You keep using that word. I don not think it means what you think it means.”

Free Indeed on March 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Ever read the book? Scarlett and Rhett were horrible, horrible people who deserved precisely what they got at the end.
aloneness and misery.
It’s a great book and a great movie, but every character is irredeemably stupid and horrid. Just like in real life.

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Rhett and Scarlett were survivors. They were far more complex than “horrible” can adequately cover. The book was far better than the movie. they are two of my favorite fictional characters ever. Second favorite were Howard Roark and Dominique Francon of the Fountainhead – not as three dimensional as the GWTW characters.

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Oh, they are complex. Don’t get me wrong. They fascinate me as characters, but Scarlett is a selfish b*tch who ruined people’s lives because she couldn’t get the boring piece of garbage, Ashely. Rhett is a blockade runner and a rapist who manipulated people because he could.
don’t even get me started on the supposed “romance” of “Wuthering Heights.” Also a great book with fascinating characters, but that book is not a romance. It’s a horror book. Cathy and Heathcliff are also awful.
but I love books like that. Characters who are terrible, terrible people yet they are so fascinating…

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Heddy LaMar. End of discussion

Kendrick on March 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Me, too.

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM

This ignorance of the art of movies explains Hollywood in better ways than I ever could. These people are little better than a bunch of 7 year olds watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Jaibones on March 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Allah and Ed could have collaborated on this piece and nominated Dennis the peasant Brit as the greatest movie character of all time. Would’ve been quite an improvement.

Jaibones on March 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Heddy LaMar. End of discussion

Kendrick on March 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM

“That’s Hedley !”
Blazing Saddles

Jeff2161 on March 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Jaibones on March 25, 2011

*eyeroll*

BrideOfRove on March 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I’m with you. While watching that movie, more than once I thought “is this still on?”

cheeflo on March 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

That’s what Forrest Gump was…a 2 hour escape from the real world.

ramrants on March 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

A two-hour-and-twenty-two minute escape.

To paraphrase Addison DeWitt in All About Eve: The minutes flew like hours.

cheeflo on March 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM

KillerKane on March 25, 2011 at 7:25 AM

You’re forgetting Firecreek. But in that film, his character’s evil was sin of omission.

cheeflo on March 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

mjk on March 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. Talk about a fascinating, yet loathsome character.

cheeflo on March 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Jaibones on March 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Well they didn’t know he was called Dennis.

Of course, they didn’t bother to find out, now did they?

runawayyyy on March 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Dirty Harry

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday

Oddball in Kelly’s Heroes

Kaiser Sose

Inspector Clouseau. Classic. “Idiot…you pulled the wrong tooth!”

Sam_I_Am on March 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Rick Blaine. (Look it up if you don’t know.)
Yeah, Scarlett.
Bette Davis as Margo Channing.

etaoinshrdlu on March 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I’ll add Maria von Trapp.

etaoinshrdlu on March 26, 2011 at 2:10 AM

And Dorothy Gale. Look that one up too.
And Eliza Doolittle.