Rumsfeld: If you’re wondering who to thank for Gaddafi’s lack of nukes …

posted at 2:55 pm on March 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Is this a “little-known story”?  If so, it’s a rather damning indictment of the American media, given its rather splashy initial reporting in December 2003.  As I wrote at the time, Moammar Gaddafi’s decision to voluntarily surrender his nuclear-weapons program made the US significantly safer as a direct result of the Iraq War.  Had we not invaded Iraq in 2003 and captured Saddam Hussein in December of that year, Gaddafi would hardly have felt compelled to protect himself from similar American action at the time.  We found out shortly afterward that Libya had succeeded in making weapons-grade plutonium, and oh by the way also had 44,000 pounds of mustard gas.  In fact, Gaddafi’s rush to demonstrate his good citizenship only ended in 2007, when domestic opposition to Bush’s efforts in Iraq emboldened Gaddafi back into defiance.

Perhaps Don Rumsfeld’s little reminder will get the media to check its archives and recall that story in its reporting on Operation Odyssey Dawn … but I rather doubt it.  Via Greg Hengler:

Comments

Those were the days, my friend…

rhbandsp on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Would Rummy care to run for the Senate seat in his current home state of New Mexico?

I know the left reflexively hates him, but he sounds like he can talk a good game and is unwilling to put up with a lot of crap from people calling him a liar, like Bob Woodward.

teke184 on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Yeah, but we have that 25-year-old picture of Rummy shaking hands with Saddam! I know, because it’s been on every leftist site for the last 10 years. Hypocrite!

mankai on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Peggy Noonan hardest hit.

DaydreamBeliever on March 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I knew this story. The world collectively breathed a sigh of relief when this happened, but do you think GWB got any credit for it? Natch, hellz nawwh.

Good job, Mr. Secretary. Keep talking.

ted c on March 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM

The MBM is a known known.

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM

But but but…George Boooosh is a RINO neoconnnnn

therightwinger on March 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

[DaydreamBeliever on March 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM]

Chris Buckley second hardest … hey what happened to CB. How come we don’t have him to kick around anymore?

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Is this a “little-known story”?

It’s an unknown known.

faraway on March 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

miss rummy

thanks to harry ‘the war is lost’ reid

cmsinaz on March 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Rumsfeld is an incredibly class act, coming from a time when real men and women ruled the West. I love the way he disdains the media, so clearly not caring at all about what they say.

horatio on March 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

L

letget on March 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I miss grown-ups…

Government is so corrupted that the few times you see someone of great competence speak out, it’s tremendously refreshing.

What a good man, Rumsfeld is.

beatcanvas on March 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

We win, they lose.

unseen on March 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM

teke184 on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

That would be awesome.

steebo77 on March 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Yep…Gadaffi ’bout soiled his knickers when Bush decided to take out Saddam. Libya was downright friendly and cooperative assisting us in getting a lot of WMD stuff out of Libya, almost overnight. Turned A.Q. Khan’s entire network over to us as well.

Thank you, GW. You, too, Mr. Rumsfeld.

God, I miss the grown ups.

coldwarrior on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

mankai on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Jeezus, look at that limp-wristed girly-man handshake. The Won = The Wimp.

Dominion on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Fox covered this story at the time. It was buried with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Iraq by the Left Empire.

Eight years of Clinton followed by eight hard years managed by Bush, followed by the Unicorn King. I pity the fool that has to clean up his droppings.

Hening on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

The world might not have loved us under President Bush, but they fear what he might do! This slug in the wh now has made America not feared anyplace by anyone! letget on March 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with. Because this is to be asserted in general of men, that they are ungrateful, fickle, false, cowardly, covetous, and as long as you succeed they are yours entirely; they will offer you their blood, property, life and children, as is said above, when the need is far distant; but when it approaches they turn against you. And that prince who, relying entirely on their promises, has neglected other precautions, is ruined; because friendships that are obtained by payments, and not by greatness or nobility of mind, may indeed be earned, but they are not secured, and in time of need cannot be relied upon; and men have less scruple in offending one who is beloved than one who is feared, for love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails. -Machiavelli, The Prince.

Akzed on March 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I ♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM

[horatio on March 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM]

Too true.

I was reminded of that again back in the early days of the Wisconsin thingie when someone posted a video of Reagan’s press conference about the PATCO incident in relation to the goings-on. Now that was a press conference, and I’ll note the reporters knew their job then, too.

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM

It’s an unknown known.

faraway on March 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Did I tell you I hate you?

Christien on March 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Qaddafi proved this axiom in 2003:

We can be an example for nations, or make examples of nations.

Of course, we should have made an example of him in 1989 or sooner…

Akzed on March 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I ♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM

After watching Gates take command during the present conflict, providing the nation with the firm guidance we need, and not to mention how he man-handled the russian bear a few days ago, I don’t know how anyone could say that.

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Who do you want running The Big Show?

A. One mean mofo SOB

B. Three candy-assed B’s

(no FIFA’s about Hilliary’s patoot, please…)

Bruno Strozek on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Operation Odyssey Dawn

It’s Operation Odious.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Irony is indignant, unless you like parodies, or are from The Onion.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Obama’s problem is the unknown unknown. He simply doesn’t know that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

Christien on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

People say that FOX is only propaganda for the GOP…..but I really never heard about any of this before a few weeks ago. Granted, at the time this happened I was actually deployed, so the only FOX I saw was in the chow hall…..but wouldn’t the fact that Gadaffi gave up his trump cards at least merit a passing mention in the last few weeks if FOX is the mouthpiece of the GOP as most lefty’s allege?

Mord on March 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Who do you want running The Big Show?

A. One mean mofo SOB

B. Three candy-assed B’s

(no FIFA’s about Hilliary’s patoot, please…)

Bruno Strozek on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I got a candidate….right here….

ted c on March 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Speaking of blasts from the past, I know this is somewhat off this specific topic, but does anyone else who grew up in the 80′s remember the song:

My name’s Kaddafi
My mind’s insane
I’m leading Libya
Right down the drain

I hate the U.S.
I love my Mom
Although I sold her
to get a bomb

My brother just reminded me of the song, and I felt I had to share.

RINO in Name Only on March 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Christien on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

We know that. :-)

coldwarrior on March 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Christien on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

and he’s ideologically blinded into thinking that all that can be known, is known and can be defined by his narrow shred of knowledge.

ted c on March 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Irony is indignant, unless you like parodies, or are from The Onion.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Hmm, must be the indignant thing.

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM

This is one of the reasons why I am on the side of, What the HELL are we doing going to war with them?

Qaddafi had made changes, yes he tried to be a bada$$ at times with our agitators like Chavez.

Now that we have attacked a country that gave up their nukes, it tells other countries that they cant give them up. Nukes are their shield from us attacking them the first chance we get.

We have no standing in the world in cleaning up nukes now. We will disarm you, then attack you.

WoosterOh on March 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I pity the fool that has to clean up his droppings.

Hening on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

It might never be possible to get out from under such a big pile. That is, of course, his entire mission.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I don’t know how anyone could say that.

[jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM]

Exposing how little you know is not the way to win an argument.

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Oh and in back to the future, the Libyans were trying to get Plutonium from Dr. Brown.

I’m sure people remember, and have probably already been making lots of references to that one in other threads, but now I’m feeling all 80′s retro, so I had to say something.

RINO in Name Only on March 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I ♥♥♥♥♥♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Christien on March 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

The new battle cry, “What didn’t he know, and when didn’t he know it?”

DrAllecon on March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

We will disarm you, then attack you.

WoosterOh on March 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Or, if you are Iran, we will not disarm you, nor attack you. Build on.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I ♥♥♥♥♥♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Watch out, you’re giving the lefties convulsions.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Is this a “little-known story”?

Yeah i think it is. I remember hearing about it at the time on Brit Hume’s show, but even they treated it as a small aside to all the other stuff going on at the time.

clearbluesky on March 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Exposing how little you know is not the way to win an argument.

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I’m sorry guys, I thought the sarcasm would be more evident. I love Rummy even more than Blake, and yes I’ve given quite a few liberals convulsions with my PDA.

I also can’t stand Gates.

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM

People who are unaware of this must have had their heads buried in the sand. It was to my recollection, well publicized during the period falling the fall of Bagdhad that Lybia miraculously decided to give up it’s WMD’s. It doesn’t surprise me that people have short memories but to say they didn’t know this is sad and absurd!

glennbo on March 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I ♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I sort of miss him too. I’m not saying he’s not to blame for many of the mistakes in Iraq*, just that he was a sharp and decent guy who was engaging, particularly in the early days of the campaign. People love to reference his “Unknown unknowns” line, ut it’s actually very true and something people tend to not often appreciate.

RINO in Name Only on March 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Bush’s Fault!!!

Chip on March 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

*Though I’m not sure either way on this one – I’ve felt for a long time that the most criminally stupid move idea was Bremer’s “Hey, let’s take a half a million armed young men and tell them all `you’re fired, now go home and please don’t cause any trouble’.” Bush actually acknowledges this as a big mistake in his memoir (which really is good, btw.)

RINO in Name Only on March 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Forgot the second “*”

RINO in Name Only on March 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Remember when the notion that we had a “decider” in the WH was mocked by the left?

Hey libbies – how’s the “non-decider” choice working out?

Midas on March 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

The new battle cry, “What didn’t he know, and when didn’t he know it?”

DrAllecon on March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Anything. All the time.

Midas on March 23, 2011 at 3:33 PM

During the build up to the Iraq War, Daffy was talking in arabic to a news crew, speaking all calm and cool, saying this will not happen. When the war stsarted he was yelling in english “Stop this war now!” And the day Saddam was shown getting his oral exam, Daffy said ‘Chemical weapons? Hey I have some those right here, please, take them.” *smile*

Tony737 on March 23, 2011 at 3:33 PM

“They found me … I don’t know how, but they found me.”

“Who?”

“WHO DO YOU THINK? THE LIBYANS! RUN FOR IT MARTY!”

Tony737 on March 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I love Rummy even more than Blake…

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM

No, you don’t. I’ve given him six ♥ and you have given him none.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM

mankai on March 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Jeezus, look at that limp-wristed girly-man handshake. The Won = The Wimp.

Dominion on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

That has got to be the limpest dead-fish handshake I’ve ever seen. I guess they don’t teach a manly handshake in Indonesia. No wonder K’Daffy isn’t worried.

txsurveyor on March 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I heard a lot about Qaddafi giving up his nuclear program from John Loftus on the excellent John Bachelor radio program, originating on WABC in NYC. He went into considerable detail about the Chinese markings on the equipment, which clearly came from North Korea (the Chinese love fishing in waters that trouble the USA). The nuclear material ended up in the USA.

Under George W. Bush and Rummy the USA was feared and respected. Under Obambi the world is laughing at us, even Qaddafi, who figures Obambi will wilt before he can do much harm.

MrLynn on March 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Wish we could also thank Rumsfeld for no nukes in Iran.

albill on March 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

MrLynn on March 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM

this

cmsinaz on March 23, 2011 at 3:46 PM

My father’s dead-so could my fellow Illinoisan(yeah-Rummy’s one of ours) adopt me?
What a kick-*** guy!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

No, you don’t. I’ve given him six ♥ and you have given him none.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM

My love is so, ummm,… well I didn’t like where that was going so I’ll conceded the point for now :P.

jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I know that’s the party line, but is it really true? Gaddafi got his hand caught in the nuclear cookie jar and had long been looking for a way to end sanctions. If we hadn’t gone into Iraq, would he really have thought that open defiance of the NPT, U.S., and world community was the best option he had? Or would he still have sought a “grand bargain”?

Not that I think he would’ve acted the same under Obama, but I’m not 100% sure that invading Iraq made the difference here.

calbear on March 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM

[jarodea on March 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM]

Mea culpa here as well then. Maybe I should have recognised the sarcasm, but I do think Gates is a decent SoD, in an unenviable position of working for Obama.

I did think he was as good as could be in responding to the Russian bear considering the time and place.

Dusty on March 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM

“They found me … I don’t know how, but they found me.”

“Who?”

“WHO DO YOU THINK? THE LIBYANS! RUN FOR IT MARTY!”

Tony737 on March 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Great SCOTT, that’s a nice reference!

DOOF on March 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM

horatio on March 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Ditto!

The media knew this information that Rumsfeld repeats in the clip. The media chose not to make it a story though.

onlineanalyst on March 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Perhaps Don Rumsfeld’s little reminder will get the media to check its archives

That will be a cold day in hell. Having to admit that Bush accomplished something.

GarandFan on March 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM

ODERINT, DVM METVANT (Let them hate, so long as they fear.) -Caligula

The Monster on March 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Wish we could also thank Rumsfeld for no nukes in Iran.

albill on March 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Why do you think that is so, nitwit? The anti-Bush drumbeat was so inexorable by the Left that any aggressive move against Iran would have been shot down before it was even whispered.

onlineanalyst on March 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM

The footage of Rumsfeld outside the Pentagon with his jacket off helping to tend to the injured after the 9-11 attack is inspiring to me. He is a man of solid character, honest and straight forward. We are missing this kind of character in the WH today. He is truly admirable and classy.

AusTex girl on March 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM

AusTex girl on March 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Read his autobiography, “Known And Unknown”. I haven’t finished it yet but there’s some really good stuff in there.

teke184 on March 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Who could ever forget the man’s Rum-Fu?

sandspur on March 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM

calbear on March 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Well, you’re wrong!

Vince on March 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Darn, my linky no worky. Try again.

sandspur on March 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Wish we could also thank Rumsfeld for no nukes in Iran.

albill on March 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Who controlled congress since 2006? Heaven forbid that the Bush administration try anything “unilaterally”.

Vince on March 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Obama has done a good job of making the Bush administration look competent.

hawksruleva on March 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Obama has done a good job of making the Bush administration look competent.

hawksruleva on March 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

That’s been true since day one, when they promised the smoothest transition in the history of the US and then immediately blew it.

They’re just now getting around to it on military operations since they’re doing something that isn’t out of the existing Bush-era playbook like the various operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have been for the most part.

teke184 on March 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Bush’s fault…who’s surprised that someone from the left didn’t say it first?

Geministorm on March 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I can tell you who most certainly remembers the who, what, and how regarding K-Daffy meekly turning over his big boy toys. Anybody who was on active duty at the time.

As the M-E’s biggest loose cannon, the Libyan Colonel was one of the greatest secondary concerns when the decision to invade Iraq became real. Almost impossible to quantify the time spent on intelligence-gathering to ensure that he wasn’t going to take the opportunity to start throwing missiles and rockets in every direction possible.

And then he steps up and says, “Please, Mr. Bush, I don’t want to be next. I’ll play nice”. A very happy day in uniform, being able to suddenly not worry about the biggest joker in the deck.

So let’s review:

2003 ~ A show of resolve backed by military might aimed at a different nation, presses Libya to avoid being treated likewise.

2011 ~ Several demonstrations of the U.S. lacking leadership, a coherent foreign policy, or any willingness to be pegged down on a commitment of any kind, and Libya is in civil war, with bad guys on both sides.

Freelancer on March 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

“..there are things you know you know and things you don’t know you know..”

Back in the days when the grown-ups were in charge.

Always liked Rumsfeld. Didn’t always agree with the way he did his job but compared to the Clown Troupe in power these days, the man was a freaking prince!

The War Planner on March 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Is this a “little-known story”?

It’s an unknown known.

faraway on March 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Nice.

Oh and to hawksruleva, the Bush administration was competent.

It’s the voting majority of the American people I’m worried about. Many knew we would regret 2008′s rash decision, but not the majority.

scotash on March 23, 2011 at 5:25 PM

no nukes in libya = same old obama strategy. blame bush.

TruthBeTold2 on March 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I vote for Feared, don’t really care if they hate us or not. This world popularity contest is absurd, now foreigners use the threat of disliking us to motivate us. This is not a game we can win, so why play?

Also vote that we do war like it’s war, not our recent apologetic approach. There is a case to be made that it would save lives in the long run to fight like we mean it.

jodetoad on March 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I’ll be honest–I’m a little confused here. I thought the claim was that Gaddafi had been negotiating with GB/Germany since before the Iraq War started. That he had “already seen the light.” That, in fact, the war had nothing to do with his actions.

Is this simply Leftist revisionism? Honest question. I don’t know the answer myself.

nukemhill on March 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved -Machiavelli, The Prince.

Akzed on March 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM

In this case especially, Maciavelli is right. You cannot trust an insane egotistical despot. But you also cannot trust fanatical religious rebels. Both sides need to fear us becauxe they will never love us.

Deanna on March 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

To me the key to understanding the interview was Rumsfeld’s statement with regard to coalition building . . . “the mission defines the Coalition” and not the other way around.

To the extent that you can, you define what you hope to accomplish and attract support for that mission in the form of those who join the coalition.

What the Obama Administration appears to have done is to somehow become involved in cobbling together a loose “coalition” based on an ill-defined mission, and they (and now some of the EU states) are trying to define the mission as they go along. That is a prescription for disaster.

Obama has no idea what he is doing, and my guess would be that he and the white House likely had little or nothing to do with putting the coalition together. To the extent that the United States was involved in building that coalition, I presume it was done out of State (and to some extent at the UN with Susan Rice) . . . and that Hillary may have been the one who got the order backwards.

Now the Germans are calling it a “coalition of the unwilling” and, as it shows signs of coming apart, various Europeans, and the Turks, are either trying to fob it off on a “steering committee” (the French), making demands that others cannot live with, or abandoning ship, and handing the broken pieces back to the President.

Classic signs of a disaster in the making, all.

Trochilus on March 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

nukemhill on March 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

He had been in talks with them for some time but nothing came of it. Then in December of 2003, just months after Sadaam’s capture, he suddenly decided to give up what they honestly didn’t really know he had. So you can decide.

Deanna on March 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I ♥♥♥♥♥♥ Rumsfeld.

Blake on March 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Blake, how do you make the hearts?

silvernana on March 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I seem to remember posting something about this topic.

What a difference six years makes.

baldilocks on March 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

silvernana on March 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Like this — ♥

Trochilus on March 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Too bad there are no real men…like Rumsfield…anywhere near the White House during this administration.

All we have is wimps who can’t make a decision, hide behind the UN, and put us all at risk…because every enemy knows that nobody in the Obama administration is capable of recognizing an enemy….much less stopping an enemy.

landlines on March 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Is anyone else frightened by WoosterOh making sense?

Slowburn on March 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I got a candidate….right here….
ted c on March 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM

So how do you link Tiny Tims Tiptoe Through The Tulips
That song just might sum up Obama’s leadership abilities.

DSchoen on March 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Let’s also not forget that the nuke equipment that Daffy gave up wound up in our hands and possibly contributed to the development of Stuxnet. If Cheney is the Dark Lord what does that make Rummy (I need to know who to pray to)?

SaintGeorgeGentile on March 24, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Forgot link to previous post:

SaintGeorgeGentile on March 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Blake, how do you make the hearts?

silvernana on March 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

With love!

[Type: &hearts ;

No space between word and semicolon.]

Blake on March 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM