Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on March 23, 2011 by Allahpundit

“President Obama would deliver a shellacking to a generic Republican candidate if 2012′s presidential election were held today, a new poll found Wednesday.

“Forty-seven percent of registered voters said they would choose to reelect Obama, compared to 35 percent who would prefer an unnamed Republican candidate, while 16 percent were undecided, a Pew Research Center poll found.

“That puts Obama at basically the same position as President George W. Bush at a similar point in his presidency, and a stronger standing than President Clinton held in March of 1995.”

***
“Only a few months into his political career, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is considering a presidential bid.

“‘Rand would not run if his dad’s running,’ said Jesse Benton, political director for Paul’s father, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas). ‘But if his dad doesn’t run and he fails to see a viable candidate or candidates in the Republican field, that are serious about debt spending and the budget crisis facing our country, then he will be very tempted to weigh his options.’

“He’s been visiting the key primary states of Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire, giving speeches and meeting with local Republican leaders — a largely under the radar effort because, until now, no one thought the newly elected senator would seriously consider the race.”

***
“While it’s hard to envision Paul actually winning the GOP nod, improving on his father’s performance in the 2008 primaries seems entirely possible. Ron Paul finished fifth in Iowa with 9 percent and fifth in New Hampshire with 8 percent, then became a media afterthought. Given that he began the campaign with no money, no name recognition and no expectations, this represented a remarkable showing; he ended up beating Rudy Giuliani — the early GOP front-runner — in nearly every state in which they both competed. But it was also something of a disappointment, given the tens of millions of dollars Paul was able to raise and the free media he attracted. The New Hampshire GOP electorate, with its fierce libertarian bent, seemed a particularly promising audience for his message, and his campaign had hoped to break through with a much stronger performance there.

“Rand Paul could potentially deliver such a performance. In a crowded field likely to underwhelm the GOP base, it’s not hard to imagine Paul — with his brash style and message of absolute ideological purity — standing out in debates and winning over more Republican voters than his father, who still struggles with basic television skills. The best-case scenario for Paul would probably be replicating what Pat Buchanan achieved in 1996: a surprisingly strong showing in Iowa (he nabbed 23 percent, good for second place), followed by a startling win (with just 29 percent of the vote) in New Hampshire — at which point a panicked GOP establishment rallied around the strongest non-Buchanan candidate (Bob Dole) and denied him the nomination.”

***
“During a Q-and-A session, he was asked about his January comments on CNN that he’d be tempted to run if Palin were a candidate. Giuliani called that remark ‘rash.’ But he said his fears of the GOP choosing a nominee who can’t win a general election might prompt him to run.

“‘If all we are faced with are candidates that are too far right so that they can’t win the general election, then that’s when I’d reconsider doing it,’ Giuliani said.

“‘Do not underestimate Barack Obama. He is a very ineffective president but a very effective politician,’ Giuliani said. Obama can win a second term ‘if we put up a candidate that he can isolate as a right-wing candidate, too far-right.’

***
“Part of Romney’s popularity among Tea Partyers is simply a product of the fact that he’s well liked among all Republicans; 21% in this survey say they’d like him to be the candidate. It’s early enough that all polling should be taken pretty lightly and Romney is certainly benefiting from high name recognition across the board. But it’s notable that he actually performs a bit better among self-identified Tea Party members than with the party overall. There are a few explanations for this. Romney does especially well with older and wealthier Republicans, two characteristics polling suggests is common in the Tea Party. Related to affluence, Tea Partyers are also on average better educated, and they may be identifying with Romney as an Ivy Leaguer.”

***
Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Geochelone on March 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM

We are expecting flurries today. Such is March in NE, upper seventies one day, snow the next.

OmahaConservative on March 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Geochelone on March 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM

May you find an umbrella.

And may I keep my home.

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 4:18 AM

I wish you the best. Somehow, someway everything will work out. We are just being tested in these troubled times. I know you can muster up some intestinal resources and find a way through the mist. Sometimes everything seems to close in on you and there are no viable pathways for greater opportunities. Just keep your eyes open and something good just might fall in you lap.

Geochelone on March 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Thanks, Geo. It is not always comforting to wait for a miracle to help me pay the mortgage in 7 days. I have one month of coverage left. I would breathe a little easier if I could find a second. Or a refi……….. or anything!!!!!

Have I looked for other jobs? Oh, you bet. I’m ‘over qualified’, and I refuse to lie on any application. I earned what’s on my app.

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 4:39 AM

I know personal pride may influence you unduly. There is no shame in leaving some of your trump cards off the app. Keep them in your vest close to your heart. Its just a short term thing anyway and in no way reflects on your worth as a person.

After having achieved some kind of academic milestone people discover that they did it not for glory in the eyes of their peers but for their own internal satisfaction. No one can take what you have attained away from you. And leaving it off the app isn’t taking anything away either.

Geochelone on March 24, 2011 at 4:52 AM

I will not lie to survive, Geo.

I absolutely appreciate your words.

But, m’dear, I earned it. I graduated one year early from high school, and then got accepted into Loyola law school, L.A., without an undergraduate degree(there were only two of us of over 500 who were accepted that way) – one year early.

I Earned all that I have achieved.

I would never lie on my CV.

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 5:17 AM

v “wish you the best. Somehow, someway everything will work out. We are just being tested in these troubled times. I know you can muster up some intestinal resources and find a way through the mist. Sometimes everything seems to close in on you and there are no viable pathways for greater opportunities. Just keep your eyes open and something good just might fall in you lap.”

Geochelone on March 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Thank you so very much, Geo.

You’re a very good egg.

Opinionator on March 24, 2011 at 5:44 AM

The earth really has been thrown off its axis … When RINOs start praising Old Paul’s vote getting ability and contemplating Young Paul for President, you know that their PDS has clouded their judgment and they are losing touch with reality.

Done That on March 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Opinionator, if I had it, I would do it. I am waiting for a huge sum of money that my former company owes me. After hearing Glenn Beck this week, it frightens me to have such a huge IOU rather than the cash in the bank. And assuming they finally have the resources to pay what they owe me, the whole bank thing and stock market thing frightens me. Where do we put the money? I want to pay off my mortgage completely and am seriously thinking about using the cash to go buy some rental property. Where I live, the market has always sucked, so I don’t think the houses will drop that much, as they never went up over the past 2 decades.

I dunno. I might do some serious Dave Ramsey research if/when I get these funds. Meanwhile, Dave always tells people on the radio to sell stuff when they are scraping the bottom. DO you have some stuff you can put on local craigs list? Can you have a garage sale? That might buy you a couple of months of time.

I have some advanced degrees. If I was looking for some survival cash flow, I would have no qualms about omitting them from my resume, and we are about the same age. My accounting brother always told me that if he ever needed a survival job, he would either be a night auditor in a local hotel (lots of turnover, hours suck but the job is easy and you don’t really have to have an accounting degree if you can talk your way onto the job for training, takes about a week to learn that job), or he said he would deliver pizza, the tips are good. My 2nd income cash flow comes from a nutritional MLM, I have been successful in MLM for over 2 decades now, have thousands in my group, it pays the mortgage like clockwork. I will never only have one income stream ever, as I don’t believe I will ever see a dime of social security, and I am 10 years from full SS retirement.

karenhasfreedom on March 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM

all is lost…got a poll…A POLL right here says so!!!!!

winston on March 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I think if Palin ran…………….and got the nomination that Ohio Governor John Kasich might be a good pick.

PappyD61 on March 24, 2011 at 7:04 AM

so laughable, the lsm keeps saying that dear leader brought other countries in so he is not a unilateralist and that is a good thing but they never mention that W had twice the countries in his coalition, he didn’t go into either country ALONE…rewriting history to make dear leader good…PATHETIC

mika insists this is not a war….must have gotten an email from the WH again this am

cmsinaz on March 24, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I would vote for Rand Paul. I would love to see him mop the floor with Obama.

ted c on March 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM

New York might choke on their Weiner …

Rep. Anthony Weiner said Wednesday he was looking into how a health law waiver might work for New York City.
…“We in New York already have hospitals, we already employ doctors and we employ nurses. We have a lot of uninsured people. … [Setting up] the exchanges is the one piece of the puzzle that would be difficult for us to do,” he said. “I’m just looking internally to whether the city can save money and have more control over its own destiny.”

J_Crater on March 24, 2011 at 7:41 AM

The No child left behind bill is destorying our children ability to learn, making them train for a test much like teaching a rat how to go thru a maze. It is destroying the ability of the population to think critically and setting them up for despots to win elections.
unseen on March 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM

O.M.G. – here we go again with the insane hyperbole. Perhaps your real gripe is that you have children who are struggling with these tests? Wouldn’t surprise me…

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM

that’s what you got? that’s all you got? ROFL…..The Mittsupporter comes with a personal attack…imagine that. lame.

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM

She’s baaaaaacckk! — Woman Tied to 9/11, Fannie Mae on Obama’s FBI Shortlist!

Jamie Gorelick! Like a Zombie risen from the grave. Like one of those diseases that mysteriously comes around every few years…

slickwillie2001 on March 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM

slickwillie2001 on March 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM

*shudder*

a see a wall being built pretty darn soon if she is back in the helm

cmsinaz on March 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Wow. My choice then, is between an unnamed Republican and a Soros NationalSocialist puppet. Gee whiz. For whom would I vote?

NAZI or no-name, NAZI or no-name, NAZI or no-name?

Tough choice.

oldleprechaun on March 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I’ve seen people banned for less than this.

fossten on March 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM

This is an excellent summation. This is a book condensed into two sentences.

Saltysam on March 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM

“‘Rand would not run if his dad’s running,’

Well that’s a relief.

Akzed on March 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM

???. Goldwater ran in the 64 presidential election against LBJ. What does 65-66 have to do with it?

chemman on March 24, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Do you really think Johnson had such huge majorities (filibuster proof Senate, even when you needed 67 votes for cloture) by accident? Or could it have been because of the GOP’s poor performance in the ’64 election, in which Goldwater headed the ticket?

Seriously, this ain’t rocket science.

JohnGalt23 on March 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM

From the 1963-64 88th Congress to the 89th, democratics only gained one Senate seat to get to that 67, so 1964 was hardly a wave re Congress. Democratics held the House by huge margins through the 60s, 70s and 80s.

slickwillie2001 on March 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I’ve seen people banned for less than this.
fossten on March 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Like who? For what?

Akzed on March 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The more the merrier! I want to see a robust primary. People need to get out there and make their case. May the best person win!

ReneePA on March 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM

The tests are based on the curriculum. So, if they’re “teaching to the test” they’re teaching the curriculum. Oh the horror! I can only surmise that since you find it problematic you have personal reasons to object (either that you like spouting the talking points of the teachers’ unions who have to show results for a change).

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Like who? For what?

Akzed on March 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Attacking people’s children should be taboo in this forum.

fossten on March 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

ROFLMAO….it seems you are a proud product of NCLB….sad really….

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I suppose if my candidate was flipflopper like Mitt I might have to attack a poster’s children too……

unseen on March 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Riddle me this …

If a poll were done of American men – with the question – “Would you ever cheat on your wife?” — I suspect a high number of responses would be “No”.

However … if you put each man in a room with a beautiful and willing woman – I suspect the ACTUAL result would be different.

And that is what the press is forgetting with these worthless polls. Obama’s opponents – ANY OPPONENT – will skewer him in radio and TV ads with the material HE’S GIVEN THEM over the last three years. This nation is deeply in debt. This government is WAY too big. This government does not represent the values of working families. This government is NOT respected overseas. This government is NOT transparent. This government BOWS to the special interests – not capitalistic ones either – but to SOCIALISTIC unions and minority groups.

Once a contender is on the stage – and drawing these stark contrasts for Americans to see – the results will be STUNNING.

Anyone – and I mean anyone – can defeat Obama.

HondaV65 on March 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

HondaV65 on March 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The one problem with your analysis is that the Prez will have about a Billion dollar advantage , the news media lying every day, resurrection of racism against all who oppose him and will be managing events around the world to make it all look so good.

Now isn’t there a Triumph which is much faster, anyway?

IlikedAUH2O on March 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Giuliani is quoted as saying, “Obama can win a second term ‘if we put up a candidate that he can isolate as a right-wing candidate, too far-right.’”

Not like I’m a mind reader or anything, but this is exactly what I’ve believed the GOP establishment has been thinking all along. The only answer, according to Rove, Giuliani, and the rest, is to moderate the message and attract supposedly middle-ground independent voters.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that gave us the McCain candidacy last time. In fact, the only thing that saved Senator McCain from an ignominious, Mondale-like blowout was his selection of a genuine conservative, Sarah Palin, as his running mate. But GOP leadership refuses to see the truth. Rather than embracing foundational principles and energizing the conservative, Tea Party base, they would rather keep the status quo, a warm, happy place where the Republican Party markets itself as the more responsible caretaker of the entitlement state, the new Tories.

Rather than chasing the independent middle by putting forth a candidate who exemplifies the Democrat Lite non-principles that define this crowd, the GOP needs to bring the middle to us on the power of its platform and strength of its ideas. After four years of failed Euro-style socialist policies and the worst executive leadership in historical memory, I think most of the voting public would be receptive to a conservative candidate. This candidate would not need to be another Reagan. Even with a billion-dollar war chest, Obama is vulnerable. Just play the game without making a major blunder, and he or she can win.

troyriser_gopftw on March 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

ROFLMAO….it seems you are a proud product of NCLB….sad really….
unseen on March 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

What are you ROLFMAO over? It is a FACT that the tests are curriculum based. You think that learning the curriculum turns them into little “despots”? That is stone cold crazy. NCLB is not perfect by any means, but it’s way better than it was when there was zero accountability. Do the schools teach kids a lot of leftist propaganda about global warming and so forth? Yes, but that has nothing to do with NCLB.

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Buy Danish on March 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM

4 pages of comments and you pick one by unseen and launch a personal attack and include his kids…

Gohawgs on March 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM