McCaskill 2006 ad: “We have paid every dime of our taxes”

posted at 4:13 pm on March 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Ben Smith, I think she’s technically telling the truth here. According to Politico, she didn’t start digging that six-figure hole in unpaid taxes on her plane until 2007, the year after this was made. So who knows? Maybe we’ll see another ad in this vein soon. “And I’m pleased to report that, as of last month, we really have paid every dime of our taxes now. Finally.” She may be a tax cheat, my friends, but at least she’s, er, honest-ish about it.

Ace thinks she’s been so badly wounded by this that she’ll drop out and head for a cushy retirement. I doubt it. Democrats have so many seats to defend next year that they may well be better off with a weak incumbent who can do her own fundraising than with a newbie who needs help from the DSCC. Besides, although Missouri is turning red — just check out The One’s approval rating there lately — McCaskill’s numbers haven’t cratered yet. Hopefully they’ll head south soon, but I’m always skeptical that fatal damage can be done by scandals involving tax-dodging, influence peddling, etc. Voters have grown so cynical about politicians, I think, that they practically expect this sort of thing to go on. The good news is, even if she’s by and large forgiven, this should shatter any remaining pretensions about her identifying with Joe Sixpack. If you’re an independent who liked McCaskill’s common touch before, you’ll have to find a new reason to vote for her next time.

The ad is the first clip. The second clip, via our Townhall cousin Guy Benson, is of a Republican tracker having some fun with McCaskill on her way out of a fundraising breakfast this morning. Note well the line about whether she considers herself a federal employee. If you don’t get the joke there, follow the link to Guy’s post and all shall be revealed.

Comments

Some animals are more equal than others.

mankai on March 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Air Claire

ted c on March 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I didn’t realize Guy Benson was such a sexist.

mankai on March 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

They paid every dime. It was the dollars they forgot to pay.

Rocks on March 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

“It makes fair game all the unsavory things about all the offshore tax shelters she started in order to avoid paying the same amount in taxes the rest of us do,” said longtime Missouri GOP strategist Gregg Keller, who was recently named executive director of the American Conservative Union.

Democratic strategist Mary Anne Marsh concurred: “If ever there was a textbook oppo hit job it is the one on Claire McCaskill right now.”

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hey, Bawney Fwank, Slick Willy, etc., thankfully for Dems their scandal bar is set so high that it takes some real effort to get over it.

Tax cheat? Pshaw.

Akzed on March 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM

She’s Tim Geithner’s cousin…

PatriotRider on March 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM

But is she a witch?

MJBrutus on March 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Someone left the irony on…

theCork on March 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Do Dems get s special version of Turbotax?

Kini on March 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Paging Michael J. Fox…

fossten on March 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I don’t know if she will, but she should. This seat is gone for the Dems, but why go into the race with a surefire loser. At least a new candidate gives you a snowball’s chance in hell of holding onto it. Besides, why would McCaskill wanna subject herself to a drubbing of Blanche Lincoln-esque proportions?

Doughboy on March 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM

We should cut her slack, she’s perfectly willing to pay her back taxes when she’s caught.

theCork on March 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM

They need to go — we try to follow the law — even when it’s not in our control we still end up paying ..

wheels on March 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

They paid every dime. It was the dollars they forgot to pay.

Rocks on March 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

heh. perfect.

ted c on March 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

The only way I think the Dems possibly retain here is if they convince McCaskill to step down and have the Governor of Missouri replace her with Robin Carnahan, who lost solidly to Roy Blunt last year in the race for Kit Bond’s old seat.

Whether they cut bait will depend on the message getting through McCaskill’s thick skull as well as the Obama camp deciding whether or not to make Missouri a major battleground as opposed to conceding it to the Republicans.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Éclair…mh, mh, mh!

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

A Democrat could be caught cannibalizing a Girl Scout and still get 30+% of the vote. Sad…

joejm65 on March 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Pardon me, Claire. But, do you have any Grey Poupon?

kingsjester on March 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hungry-Hungry Hippo get caught. Too many marbles at one Claire. Pace yourself.

portlandon on March 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM

As I’ve railed on the earlier threads, don’t stop here.

What do her federal income tax returns tell us about how she and her husband treated their personal use of an asset owned by an entity in which, I assume, they have the controlling interest? It’s not illegal, but they should have had some kind of arms’ length arrangement under which they were paying the entity rent for use of the plane or, in the alternative, the entity imputed taxable income to them for the rent-free use of the plane.

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM

There are two Americas. One where taxes are paid, and another for the McCaskill types avoid taxes.

Guess which America I live in?

portlandon on March 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Those white panels on the sides of her suit jacket are designed to be “slimming”. Unfortunately, the just make her look like a killer whale.

I look forward to watching Claire’s comeuppance unfold.

Naturally Curly on March 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Take no chances..Keep the pressure on her, the seat is valuable if we are going to overturn these bad pieces of legislation. Begone Demorat

hawkman on March 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I think her senate career is over, but Obama will be needing a new Sec. of State dominatrix.

cartooner on March 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

well, i hope she’s gone. 287K over 4 years is over 70K per year. So this is a lady who forgot to pay property taxes that amounts to more than the average household income of MO

I’m not per se against having well to do Senators…after all it could mean that they are pretty shrewd (of course it could be that they married into it, Kerry, inherited it, Kerry, Dayton). But the presumption of shrewdness has to be thrown out, and in it’s place a rich couple who just somehow doesn’t get the right advice on their money management.

And somehow that advice seems to always work to their advantage. I mean, how many times do these people find that they mistakenly overpaid their taxes…that oops, I paid the tax for 10 years after I sold my boat…how many times has that happened????

r keller on March 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM

shomegirl pointed out that if McIcouldblameothers steps down, then yet another Mel Carnahan’s daughter Robin likely will be given the seat. After the BS where they gave his seat to his wife Jean, I won’t be surprised if nepotism rears its ugly head again.

Christien on March 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Oh, she’ll run, even if her husband has to fund her campaign by himself. I just hope the trackers follow her to the airport to watch the “love pats”…

d1carter on March 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Seems very cruel. She’s a good person who made an understandable mistake. Who among us has not also made similar errors? She’s A Great American.

a capella on March 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The IRS flags boats and airplane owners, who use them for business, for audits. How did she and husband escape this?

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Robin C got around 41 percent in the race against Blunt. Surely the dims have other people

r keller on March 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Anybody know the make / model of the plane in question?

bernzright777 on March 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Note the senator’s aide (around :50) looked to the right for oncoming traffic, then started to jaywalk. Luckily, her boss pulled her back, because that truck would’ve likely hit her. Could’ve been an honest mistake, though I reckon she was flustered by the guy following them. Close call.

Christien on March 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Have we covered the fact that McCaskill first registered the plane in Delaware (avoiding taxes) and then moved it to Illinois (avoiding taxes) prior to moving it in to Missouri (and forgetting to pay taxes)? This was on GatewayPundit first thing this morning via reporting done by the St Louis Beacon.

For McCaskill to suggest she and her husband didn’t know about the taxes she owed until just a few days ago yet acted in this way is a stretch too far beyond coincidence.

Dusty on March 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I look forward to watching Claire’s comeuppance unfold.

Naturally Curly on March 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Skamu!! Coming to a SeaWorld near you.

(That was mean, by the way. Funny, but mean)

iurockhead on March 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

r keller on March 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Doubtful, IMHO. The state’s been trending red for years and the last two Senate victories for the Dems were the result of monkey business in St. Louis and Kansas City.

The first resulted in John Ashcroft losing to a dead guy and ending up as AG as a consolation prize while the second ended up with Jim Talent losing to this walking corpse.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Dusty on March 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Classic. Sounds like they tried to launder the plane to avoid their patriotic duty.

Christien on March 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Anybody know the make / model of the plane in question?

bernzright777 on March 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM

The only reference I found was at Politico (shudder) which mentioned a twin engine Piper. But, that doesn’t make sense with the size of the back taxes. I’ll keep looking.

d1carter on March 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM

d1carter on March 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Keep in mind that it’s at least 3 years worth of tax plus penalties and interest, not just one year’s tax.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

You know, I think congress people should pay a heavier price for not paying their taxes. There is just something especially evil about congress members (especially when they are Democrats) who do not pay their taxes.

JellyToast on March 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I remember her lecturing her constituents during those “healthcare” town hall meetings about trusting her or something.

SouthernGent on March 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM

This woman is the hack di tutti hacks.

wraithby on March 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Robin (I’m a Farmer) Carnahan made a big deal about being a pilot in her ill-fated election against Roy Blunt last year. Maybe Claire could get a ride from her.

flyoverland on March 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM

McCaskill 2006 ad: “We have paid every dime of our taxes”

Well, did anybody actually read all the fine prints on the bottom?

Sir Napsalot on March 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM

What the hell happened to her? She aged 20 years in less than 6.

kevinkristy on March 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

SondraK has the all time winning headline for this story;

I did not have untaxed relations with that plane

A. Weasel on March 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

joejm65 on March 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM

“Let me be clear… I do occasionally partake in eating the occasional newborn child… I …uh… like mine rare…like…uh…tartare and preferably twins. But my candidate would like to impugn my…uh…character by bringing up this irrelevant…uh… and meaningless issue.”

“Wild Applause”

This is only a slight exaggeration.

darclon on March 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Claire McCaskill – I paid my taxes – 2006

Claire McCaskill – I’m a deadbeat – 2011

Methinks she isn’t going to be running for much of anything in the future.

ajacksonian on March 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM

SouthernGent on March 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM

IIRC, that was the Town Hall where she asked her constituents, in a hurt voice, if they trusted her and got a resounding “NO!” back in response.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM

joejm65 on March 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Yep; -”I’m sorry that you disapprove of my dietary choices.”

slickwillie2001 on March 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Deadbeat.

Ward Cleaver on March 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM

JellyToast on March 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM

It is especially evil because they have total power over our taxes and the way that tax money is spent. That power imposes a special responsibility on them and when they abuse that power, well…it is the same as an authority figure abusing a trusting child. Dump the b!tch.

SKYFOX on March 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I thought Missouri was the “Show Me” state.

kens on March 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Wow! Claire sure has aged over the past 5 years. Wow!

I find it disgusting that she’s being given yet another benefit of the doubt. How many Dems are pulling this crap with their taxes, and getting a benefit of the doubt pass?!

It’s absurd. She would go on with the charade if she hadn’t gotten caught, and deep down, we all know this. The ONLY reason she’s concilliatory now, is because she got caught. Otherwise, what proof do we have, that she’d pay it on her own, if she were getting away with it? NONE!!!

capejasmine on March 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM