Obama will punt on Social Security reform

posted at 3:35 pm on March 21, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Breaking news: Barack Obama chooses not to lead … again. TPM DC’s Brian Beutler reports that the White House strategy on Social Security will be to wait until everyone else has decided to act before discussing its own approach to reforming what is perhaps the most straightforward of entitlement reforms. This will surprise, well … no one:

The White House will not prominently inject itself into congressional negotiations on Social Security reform until after key legislators in both the House and Senate unveil their plans to reduce projected long-term deficits, according to administration officials.

That won’t please Republican leaders on Capitol Hill, who have attacked Obama for remaining silent in this debate. And these 64 Senate Republicans and Democrats won’t be too happy either. But it’s part of a broader political and policy strategy the administration is employing to keep Obama’s powder dry while Republicans struggle to reduce deficits without increasing revenues in any meaningful way.

The White House’s reticence has been characterized by some as a symptom of a rift between Obama’s economic and political advisers. Some, like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, do in fact believe that a bipartisan deal on Social Security would result in real economic benefits, while others argue that Obama shouldn’t embrace any plan that substantially cuts benefits at all.

Can you feel the leadership coming from the White House? Obama has chosen not to lead on the FY2011 budget, not to lead on the FY2012 budget, and not to lead on the coalition imposing the no-fly zone in Libya. In fact, one doesn’t need to look to the White House but to Brazil, where the President has played soccer and done a samba chair-dance instead of taking an active role in communicating the need for American military intervention in North Africa.

Let’s go right to some direct criticism about the necessity of presidential leadership on entitlement reform, specifically on Social Security. This comes from October 2007, but it’s directly on point:

Well, to be fair, I think that Barack Obama has shown us very clearly in the last two years — and especially over the last few weeks — that he’s not ready to lead, either as a candidate or as President.

Comments

Air ball….

SPGuy on March 21, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Let me be clear…I have nothing to say. ~ Barack Obama

Rocks on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

From the strategists at the firm of Hedge, Dodge, & Spin.

You’re Snark as of late Ed, has been EXCELLENT.

portlandon on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Hedge, Dodge and Spin? Aren’t they that firm that’s down there next to Pivot, Dunk and Putt, LLC?

ted c on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

What more would you expect from a true politician who spent his whole career voting “present”.

jeffn21 on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

* Say, what is this new media thing? It regurgitates everything I said in the past. Is that fair?*

a capella on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Again, we can ask those 52% that voted for Obama……

How’s that hopey/changey crap working out for ya?

capejasmine on March 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Leading is for losers who don’t know how to golf, play soccer, or samba.

Lily on March 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

From the strategists at the firm of Hedge, Dodge, & Spin.

excellent :)

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

We can see in that video from Brazil that he pretty good at dribbling….not at getting the ball into the net.

HBowmanMD on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Aren’t they that firm that’s down there next to Pivot, Dunk and Putt, LLC?

Classic…thanks for the chuckle…

SPGuy on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

— that he’s not ready to lead, either as a candidate or as President.

No argument here.
Can I see a show of hands?

Electrongod on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Because you’re not ready to lead if you can’t tell us where you’re going.

no truer words spoken and they come from him

*sigh*

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Let me be clear…I have nothing to say. ~ Barack Obama

Rocks on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

ROFL!!! Thanks for the laugh!

capejasmine on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

This guy is the biggest phony, do-nothing dolt in the history of that office

rplat on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

rplat on March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

and yet those 52% may just vote for him all over again

*shudder*

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Leading is for losers who don’t know how to golf, play soccer, or samba.

Lily on March 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

It could be worse. The Obama’s could be in Hawaii, and we’d have to watch Michelle in a hula skirt…..oh I can’t even finish typing out that thought. *gag*

capejasmine on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Shocked I tell you I’m shocked. the man that dances in RIO while missles fall in libya will punt on SS reform?

say it isn’t so…..2012 can’t come soon enough..

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Prediction -

The GOP majority in the House will force the issue

Senate will be non-committal but could be stalled on other legislation if they refuse to play ball

Barry will show up for 10 minutes then take credit for all the progress made despite a total lack of effort on his part

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

good one teke

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

and yet those 52% may just vote for him all over again

*shudder*

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

not a chance in hell unless we put up another squish like McCain/Dole/Mitt/Barbour/Mitch

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Present

In a way, part of me is glad he’s not leading on this issue as well. God only knows how much more damage he’d do.

Yakko77 on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

The GOP majority in the House will force the issue

not a chance in hell sheep don’t fight back…

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

From the strategists at the firm of Hedge, Dodge, & Spin.

That’s actually an improvement over his usual team of Willie, Cheatus and Howe.

DrAllecon on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

BP Oil Spill redux:

“I have to look for someone’s ass to kick!”

…it’s hard to do that if you’re leading….

ted c on March 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Now we just need to get that Obama clip to be played before people read the latest news on Charlie Sheen on the web.

WashJeff on March 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Community Organizers don’t actually do anything. The facilitate. They cajole, they dissemble, they outright lie if they have to. For your own good.

It’s all about process, not outcome!

mojo on March 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

That’s actually an improvement over his usual team of Willie, Cheatus and Howe.

DrAllecon on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Hahah! that’s funny!

ted c on March 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

The GOP majority in the House will force the issue

not a chance in hell sheep don’t fight back…

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

It depends what happens with the GOP caucus.

There’s a chance that the current leadership could get thrown under the bus by the Tea Party contingent if they keep playing inside baseball instead of making a real effort at reform.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

and yet those 52% may just vote for him all over again

*shudder*

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I suppose some will.

a capella on March 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

“Present”

shanimal on March 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

From the strategists at the firm of Hedge, Dodge, & Spin,

represented by Dewey, Screwem, & Howe, Attorneys at Law.

Akzed on March 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

not a chance in hell sheep don’t fight back…

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

idesign on March 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Shakes head…walks away muttering cuss words.

Gothguy on March 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I want out of SS.

I’ve been saying that for over 20 years. Now, I’m about 20 years from retirement, and still saying it. I’ll take my losses if I’m allowed to invest IN MY OWN WAY what the government is taking out of my paycheck each month.

These jokers need to figure out a way to let me opt out.

UltimateBob on March 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Actually, every time I hear “Obama does nothing about ____.” I breath a small sigh of relief. He’s done MORE than enough already. If we can get him to golf and hang out in the tropics until 2012, we might actually be able to turn the country around.

bitsy on March 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

When this guy gets something big right–and he’s bound to stumble on to something–the whooping and hollering by the LSM and Bill O’Reilly will be unbearable.

pugwriter on March 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

The only way Obama can “fix” social security is through fuzzy accounting and lot’s of spin. The real answer is to phase it out completely or privatize it completely. Neither of which is very “progressive”, so he’s going to lead from the rear.

cartooner on March 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

In a recent piece in London’s Daily Mail, Andrew Roberts writes:

… Reagan [was] the Great Communicator. In contrast, Obama is becoming known as The Great Vacillator.

The Great Vacillator. How apt.

DubiousD on March 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The Ray Guy of politicians.

A Balrog of Morgoth on March 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

He’s making this very easy for whomever the GOP nominee is in 2012. When he’s rambling at the debates about what he’d do in his 2nd term(God help us), his opponent need only turn to him and ask why he didn’t do any of it in his first 4 years.

Doughboy on March 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Remember, we are at war now, so it is not patriotic to question his domestic spending priorities. /libtard

Yeah, I know we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan, although it appears the hordes of anti-war protesters plumb forgot all about it.

A Balrog of Morgoth on March 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

pugwriter on March 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

He doesn’t intend to get anything right….it’s deliberate.

txsurveyor on March 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

But he’s still clean and articulate and just look at that crease in his pants. Why is that enough for you, Ed?

SKYFOX on March 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM

…It says you should hedge, dodge, and spin, but at all costs don’t answer. I reject that notion…Because you’re not ready to lead if you can’t tell us where you’re going.”

Oh. My. God. The irony is more than I can handle. You could knock me over with a feather.

Dopenstrange on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

pugwriter on March 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

He doesn’t intend to get anything right….it’s deliberate.

txsurveyor on March 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I pray you are not right, but fear you are.

pugwriter on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

That’s an old Three Stooges gag.

The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Sorry…why isn’t that enough for you, Ed.

SKYFOX on March 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

his entire career has been built on his favorite move-’The Sidler’ a la Seinfeld

in Ill state Senate he did same thing, in US Senate same thing. He sidles up to the podium after everyone else has done the hard work and he takes a bow.

ginaswo on March 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

capejasmine on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

..or interminable glistening, man-boob photo-ops.

The War Planner on March 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

he may be a dolt and a loser but he fits in pretty well with a press who loves the way he walks and the cut of his suits and with the dolts and losers that make up a lot of the voting public (cf. the Blaze link to the Newsweek civics test).

he wants a second term, he luvs the lifestyle of the rich and famous. So keep your nose clean, stand back and let the press play whack a mole with any R that has any idea for saving the country

it will work every time

r keller on March 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

President Reticent.

di butler on March 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

That’s an old Three Stooges gag.

The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

That poster’s awesome. They’re still funny after all these years.

DrAllecon on March 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

That’s an old Three Stooges gag.

The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Who are these Stooges, I’ve never heard of them ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ok, in the defense of BHO allow me this:

“My name is BHO. I was born, oh heck let’s skip forward on that. OK. Here I am. Bred on the breastmilk of Louis Farakhan and on the teet of William Ayers and I earned my balls from Acorn. While the size of my balls remains the same as they were when I earned them from ACORN, I stand proud.

Naw. Yo peeps must understand that I have no clue what I’m doin’. And ain’t nobody comin’ to my rescue. They tole me if I just stood there and read from some screens that I could lead the wolrd. And make whirled peas. So, I call up my friend KDaffy and he tells me that I have to start some chit to make sure that Iran can come in and dominate.

And then I got.. oh good Lawed, don’t get me started on Michelle. My pedicure is late. I didn’t get my bubble bath last night and they only had a vegan menu. Where is Richard Trumka? That man said that it’d all be coo if I just stood there and readed. And George Soros is even throwing me under the benz. I’mma get all crazy on you progs in the next 72 hours.”

Love,
..I dunno who I is

Key West Reader on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Affirmative Action…

… works every time!

Seven Percent Solution on March 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

That’s an old Three Stooges gag.

The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Who are these Stooges, I’ve never heard of them ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Obama, Clinton, and Holder.

“FOR DUTY AND HUMANITY!”

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Obama’s brand of “leadership” could aptly be refered to as “quantum delegation”.

pilamaye on March 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hedge, Dodge and Spin all used to work for Dewey, Cheatem & Howe

J_Crater on March 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Not only does he punt; he shanks the punt.

Are penalties called in this game for roughing the kicker?

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Obama will punt on Social Security reform

This just in from NYT…..

Multitalented Obama Masters another Sport This Week

Presidental observers are astounded as the nation’s first black president again demonstrates his incredible aptitude for sports. One would have thought that he would rest on his laurels a bit following his incredible NCAA bracket pick victories and his internationally acclaimed soccer and samba demonstrations in Rio. But, no not this president. In a punt worthy of All-Star Adam Vinatieri, president Obama today kicked Social Security all the way to the next decade. His Republican opponents so far have been unable to block Obama’s telegraphed punts and it remains to be seen whether they will get in the game or take the loss and hope for a better pick in the 2012 draft.

Lily on March 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

“quantum delegation”.

pilamaye on March 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Schroedinger’s White House.

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Figures the NYT would blow this. Vinatieri is a place-kicker, NOT a punter.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

That’s an old Three Stooges gag.

The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

One has to wonder if the ghosts of Howard, Fine & Howard are haunting the halls at 1600 Penna. Ave. The way things are run there reminds me of so very many of their shorts.

Who are these Stooges, I’ve never heard of them ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Oh, wise guy, eh?

(I see what you did there… Becha few will get it, though.)

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Who are these Stooges, I’ve never heard of them ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Oh, wise guy, eh?

(I see what you did there… Becha few will get it, though.)

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Say hi to your brother Moses, Jerome!

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

She would earn the new name “Lady Gag Gag”

David in ATL on March 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Say hi to your brother Moses, Jerome!

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

What? No respect for my other brother Samuel?

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Say hi to your brother Moses, Jerome!

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Spread out, porcupine!

Sad testimony that we fall back on to 70-plus year old slapstick humor to keep our spirits up during our Obamalaise.

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

What? No respect for my other brother Samuel?

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

No one ever respects Sam because your shoes were too big to fill.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Nice shot from Cavuto:
*Bombing in Libya and bombing in South America.*

a capella on March 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I read, a month back, that an “insider” at the W.H. states that he can’t stay for even 10 minutes for a briefing. It is more like 5, then off to other amusements. And that Valerie Jarrett, as suspected, has been running the show.

I took the article with a grain of salt, but more and more it appears to be true.

betsyz on March 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Let me be clear…I have nothing to say. ~ Barack Obama

Rocks on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Absolutely, completely, totally off base.

That should read… “let me be perfectly clear”…

JohnGalt23 on March 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Figures the NYT would blow this. Vinatieri is a place-kicker, NOT a punter.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

What a coincidence, Obama is no punter either. If it weren’t for the Republican establishment holding the ball steady so he could take a good swing at it, and then refusing to even try to block, there would be no kicking.

Punting assumes you can take action during the heat of a play while very, extremely,large men are running toward you at high speed determined to take you down.

President Mom Jeans probably isn’t up to that level just yet.

Lily on March 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Obama is a leader much as the Oracle at Delphi was a guide. He will say something vague and take credit if things work out. And if things don’t work out, he will trust that his media lackeys will be too politic to bring it up.

How will we solve Social Security? easy: “A wall of wood alone shall be uncaptured, a boon to you and your children.”

Laurence on March 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM

unseen on March 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

*shudder*

cmsinaz on March 21, 2011 at 4:39 PM

teke184 & turfmann

Laughter is truly the best medicine ….. and in these trying times, we need all the laughs we can get.

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Until about 1970, Social Security was a model agency. The trust fund was large and solvent, there never should have been the least concern about boomers and their “entitlements” (after all, nobody was getting money from it who hadn’t contributed the whole of their working lives). I know, I was around and watched what followed with extreme misgiving.

But… politicians kept looking at that big pot of money and they couldn’t stand it. They couldn’t tap the money directly by law, so they started “borrowing” from the SS trust fund. Led by LBJ, they first started sucking funds off for programs like Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Hey, it was FOR THE CHILDREN! Who could argue with that, right? But once they got away with that, they constantly encroached further. And of course, the “loans” from the trust were never going to be repaid. Unbelievably cynical and abusive of the public trust.

So I’m withRand Paul on this one. AFTER they kill off a BUNCH of federal agencies… AFTER they make cuts in other redundant or unnecessary areas… AFTER they take a bunch of other people off the SS benefits tit… then they can start talking about cutting my retirement benefits… not before. Boomers damned sure caried other constituencies for decades, so I don’t have much patience with those asswipes who want to play generational politics… the ones who keep saying, piss off seniors, you don’t deserve to ride on our backs. You really wanna play that card? You wanna play those kinda chicken shit, “gotcha” politics?

I say, seniors vote and there are a lot of us who never got to choose another option – and now the time is past for us to have another option. So clean up the other problems first, before you ask us to carry your water yet again. G’nite and God bless.

fabrexe on March 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM

betsyz on March 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Great, we’ve got The Amazing ADHD President.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Are we back in the ditch, or out of the ditch, yet? I haven’t been scolded, I mean told, lately.

betsyz on March 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

betsyz on March 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

We’re still in the ditch. Instead of getting back on the road, he’s taking us mud-riding.

Let’s just hope we don’t have to call China for a tow by the time he’s done getting us stuck.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I can’t wait for Obowma’s tell all book about all of the hard decisions that he had to make whilst President…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Great, we’ve got The Amazing ADHD President.

teke184 on March 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Along with the Whitman’s Sampler Box of mental problems.

betsyz on March 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Who are these Stooges, I’ve never heard of them ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Oh, wise guy, eh?

(I see what you did there… Becha few will get it, though.)

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Easy…that’s a Seinfeld gag from the episode “The suicide”.
Who are these stooges you speak of…?

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Leading from the rear.

MJBrutus on March 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Presidential Mascot in Chief

“Conventional thinking in Washington says that Social Security is the third rail of American politics. It says you should hedge, dodge, and spin, but at all costs don’t answer. I reject that notion. I think that on issues as fundamental as how to protect Social Security a candidate for president owes it to the American people to tell us where they stand. Because you’re not ready to lead if you can’t tell us where you’re going.” — Obama

If Barack Obama could eat his own words his ars w/b as big as Michelle’s.

Schadenfreude on March 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM

To be fair, he was talking about what a candidate should do ….

Given he “is” President and hasn’t yet announced he’s seeking re-election, he must consider himself exempt from his own pronouncement.

BD57 on March 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Can you feel the leadership coming from the White House?

Yeah, “inspiring” isn’t it? The Won stands alone atop Mt Olympus viewing the goings-on below.

GarandFan on March 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hint: Google “Jerome Horwitz”

Nuck, nuck, nuck…

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I just have to say this.

After a hard days trudgin’ in the new obamaworld it is really great to know that I can come here to get some laughs.

Y’alls are great!!

Key West Reader on March 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Not only is Obama not leading, he’s also backing everyone in Congress, Republicans AND Democrats alike into a corner as well. After all, why step forward with any kind of a proposal when you just know Obama will instantly label you an extremist and, even if you are a Democrat, throw you under his super-sized bus? Triangulation means everyone but the President loses politically.

When your announced plan is to ambush whoever sticks his neck out, all you get is no one sticking his neck out.

Fred 2 on March 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM

President “Do Nothing”. I thought Americans were all sick of these worthless politicians. Clearly the left isn’t. Doing nothing is perfectly acceptable to them if they think it will advance their agenda.
%nbsp;
I’ve had it with these clowns. As far as I’m concerned, liberals are enemies of the state and should be labeled as such. Our country is in great peril simply because they “think” the government should do everything–in spite of the fact that government has done absolutely nothing well! Wake up.

ClanDerson on March 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Let me be clear…I have nothing to say. ~ Barack Obama

Rocks on March 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Let me repeat that. I have nothing to say. ~ Barack Obama

Mr_Magoo on March 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM

NeoKong on March 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hint: Google “Jerome Horwitz”

Nuck, nuck, nuck…

turfmann on March 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM

It went right over my head.
Thanks.