Claire McCaskill: Wait, did I forget to pay $287,000 in property taxes on my private jet?

posted at 10:00 pm on March 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

I like to imagine that this revelation came to her in the course of her day, as a vague, nagging worry that there was something she was supposed to do. “Did I … leave the stove on? No, no. I remember turning it off. Did I … maybe forget my keys? Nope, got ‘em right here. What was it? It was something to do with … the air. Replace the air filters, maybe? Noooo… WAIT. THE PLANE.”

Look on the bright side, though. Now she’s qualified to be Treasury Secretary.

McCaskill has been answering questions about the plane since POLITICO recently reported that she billed taxpayers for a political trip around Missouri. POLITICO also reported that McCaskill spent $76,000 from her Senate budget on trips on the aircraft over the past four years, prompting the senator to refund the Treasury Department more than $88,000 for the cost of the trips plus pilot fees.

McCaskill’s announcement Monday is the latest twist in a political scandal that has dogged her for the past two weeks. The expensive fiasco clashes with her self-made image as a reformer and good-government advocate during her first term in the Senate. McCaskill has now shelled out more than $375,000 in payments to cover the cost the plane flights and back taxes, a series of events the senator herself has called “embarrassing.”

“There are people I could blame for this, but I know better. As an auditor, I know I should have checked for myself. I take full responsibility for the mistake,” added McCaskill, Missouri’s former state auditor from 1999 to 2007. “I should have checked the documentation. I should have been asking the questions. I shouldn’t have assumed that somebody was doing it.”

The tax she didn’t pay was a state personal property charge on aircraft hangared in Missouri. To end her problem once and for all, she says she’s now convinced her husband to “sell the damn plane,” which I guess means commercial flight and possible TSA grope-downs henceforth. Congratulations, Claire: You really are one of the people now.

That boldface part in the blockquote is going to make a dynamite attack ad during the campaign next year, needless to say. As for now, via Mark Hemingway, here’s what the NRSC has cooking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

East St Louis will be redistricted into part of Missouri so that “Mc-ugly-enough-to-kill-a-cow” can win re-election.

bayview on March 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Although this has supposedly been known for the last two weeks, today is the first day most Missourians have heard about this.

Vince on March 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM

——————————————

Two weeks ago was the 80K in travel expenses billed to the State of Missouri. Now we find out this about Claire. No one, with the exception of folks in the major metro areas and maybe Columbia (University of MO) can stand her in the State and she knows it.

Just to make this even more ironic, she was our State Auditor for years before making the move to Senator.

shomegirl on March 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Also link this.

John the Libertarian on March 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

One has to wonder how often she scoffed at taxpayers claiming same.

On top of this, McCaskill signed on in February as a co-sponsor of Senate legislation that would fire federal employees if they are “seriously delinquent” in paying their own federal taxes…

She now agrees the “I forgot” card should still be on the table.

As an auditor,

Her audit badge should be seized along with any credibility she may own.

“I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since this has happened.”

Taxes do that to most people, especially around this time of the year.

rukiddingme on March 22, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Claire, no need to sell the plane. I think you can still afford it. Just have your people get with my people and they will show you how to fill out the personal property tax form thingy when you get it in the mail. I’m in MO if that helps.

Hmm, I have to show my personal property tax receipt when I get my car licensed here in MO and the car I am licensing better be on it or..well it’s difficult. They don’t make you do that for an expensive plane. Shocking. But I don’t have a clue how planes are licensed.

kahall on March 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM

How many congresscritters and senators own such?

Media, get out of O’s ars, and do some research, if your brains are still somewhat functional.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM

The IRS flags plane and boat owners to be audited. How did she escape that?

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM

The IRS flags plane and boat owners to be audited. How did she escape that?

Probably has something to do with the “Rep.” in front of her name and the “(D)” after it….

SDN on March 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Crooks.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 22, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Well for starters, does anyone think it is inherently wrong to assess property taxes on boats and airplanes in the first place?

Secondly, if this is what Obama means by “redistributing the wealth”, then sign me up so that I too can afford my own private plane. It must be nice. Except for all of those taxes…

Old Fritz on March 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Yah, she gets away with this with “Oopps, I FORGOT,” but I get visits from state officials that say “turn out your pockets!”

Effin’ bitch.

JamesLee on March 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM

well, durn it, I think I hit the “moderation” keywords…

JamesLee on March 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM

I live in MO, and I pay taxes on two car, each and every year.

But, my (land) property taxes are low compared to the rest of the country, and my actual license plate fees are low too. Eh, it’s a give ‘n take.

ksbsnowowl on March 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM

And why is the planed something to be damned? Because it racks up a property tax bill enforced by an uncaring bureaucrat year after sickening year, ad infinitum. Because the oppressive taxation system that leads people to despise their assets for the tax they incur. How does it feel Mcaskill? Proves again these people are out of touch, clueless authoritarians.

pc on March 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM

HOW TO OWN YOUR OWN PRIVATE PLANE AND PAY NO TAXES:

“….First you go out and buy a private plane.

Then when the government asks why you have a private plane and pay no taxes, you simply say two words:

.I Forgot!!!!

Clair McCaskill owes Steve Martin a huge royalty payment!!

landlines on March 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM

The IRS flags plane and boat owners to be audited. How did she escape that?

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM

McCaskill is an idiot and probably a tax cheat–as distinguished from a dopey taxpayer. But you and others are mistakenly conflating federal, state, and local tax obligations. This personal property tax that she and her husband (or some entity that they own which, in turn, owns the plane) did not pay is some kind of Missouri state or county within Missouri tax on tangible personal property used in a trade or business. The tax is NOT a federal tax obligation, so the cracks about the IRS and Turbotax (usually a program for preparing federal and state INCOME taxes) are entirely off point. If anything, the taxes McCaskill didn’t pay are analagous to the taxes that Kerry didn’t pay on his yacht, except McCaskill and her husband didn’t try to take the position that the plane was not subject to the tax in Missouri–it clearly was.

Having said that, if I were a Missouri Republican, I’d be demanding to see her and her husband’s federal income tax returns. Why? Well, I doubt that they own the plane outright. My guess is that it’s owned by a standalone corporation or limited liability company in which they are the primary or sole owners. That entity is likely depreciating the value of the plane, and those depreciation deductions are going to reduce the federal and state income tax liability of the entity or the McCaskills. Ultimately, however, you need to determine how the entity charged McCaskill for the use of the plane. Did McCaskill or her campaign pay the entity rent for the plane (which is income that should be taxeds for federal or state income tax purposes) or should the entity have been imputing income to Claire for providing her an owner- (or even employer-) provided perq.

Missouri Republicans should be demanding that Claire “Show Me” the tax returns.

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Claire should have parked her plane next to John Kerry’s boat…

Gohawgs on March 22, 2011 at 6:08 AM

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Well, it is the “Show Me” state.

BigAlSouth on March 22, 2011 at 6:13 AM

I got a hawkdriver refund. How much is she selling the jet for? (Rubs hands)

hawkdriver on March 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM

/Leftist trash mode on

Private planes for me
Global warming standard of living reductions for thee

/Leftist trash mode off

Is there ever an end to leftists showing themselves to be the biggest CO2 pigs on the planet.

MNHawk on March 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Clearly she studied at the Charles Rangel School of Taxation.

redfoxbluestate on March 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM

We’re buying Claire’s jet
Using an Installment Plan.
She gets to keep it.

Haiku Guy on March 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I’m jealous! If something like this came out about Menendez or Lautenberg I would be celebrating.

Don’t let Claire’s crisis go to waste, Missouri!

Naturally Curly on March 22, 2011 at 7:41 AM

My guess is that it’s owned by a standalone corporation or limited liability company ..

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Yup .. and registered in Delaware.

CaveatEmpty on March 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Claire McCaskill: 2011 recipient of the John Kerry Tax Evasion Award.

WordsMatter on March 22, 2011 at 7:55 AM

HOW TO OWN YOUR OWN PRIVATE PLANE AND PAY NO TAXES:

landlines on March 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Step 1: Register as a Democrat

WordsMatter on March 22, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I thought property taxes were for houses and apartment buildings. Property taxes for airplanes ? Live and learn I guess.

LODGE4 on March 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM

“I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since this has happened.”

The Victim Card

Wade on March 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM

“I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since I got caught this has happened.

Akzed on March 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

WordsMatter on March 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Say Claire, about that getting employees fired if they didn’t pay back taxes bit… you are elected to a position of temporary employment. Did you put an exemption in for Congress like always happens with labor laws so that Congress doesn’t get the burden of its own laws?

If so, how ethical is that?

Would you be willing to unshield yourself from all the exemptions to know what real employers and employees have to go through. You know the health, safety, occupation and other fun exemptions all of you have Upon the Hill?

And if the elected members of government aren’t exempted, then why are you still on the job? Can’t you do as you say and force others to do? Or are you special when it comes to paying taxes that you force on the rest of the government system? Yeah, you are paying up once it is discovered, but that does not excuse the offense… you are just like with Charlie the Rangler and the other elected deadbeats.

Really getting fired for not paying taxes while in service to the people of the United States is a great idea! It would clear out Congress in no time, flat.

ajacksonian on March 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Under what rocks to the voters find slugs like this woman?

rplat on March 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

“I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since this has happened somebody actually caught me with my hand in the cookie jar.”

Fixed

NoFanofLibs on March 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

“There are people I could blame for this, but I know better…As an auditor, I know I should have checked for myself.

Right. You have people working for you that routinely break numerous laws in your name without your knowledge. Yeah, that makes sense.

RadClown on March 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Why all the fuss? Liberals are not required to pay taxes. Haven’t you peasants read the Constitution?

MaiDee on March 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Missouri Republicans should be demanding that Claire “Show Me” the tax returns.

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM

1. The plane is registered to a LLC in Delaware, as mentioned above.

2. McCaskill had already been busted earlier this month for charging the US taxpayer for the expense of operating the private plane before it came out that she and her slumlord hubby were dodging Missouri taxes on it.

Tying #2 to federal income tax fraud shouldn’t be that hard. Even without that, this whole mess proves former Sen. Jim Talent was right in his claims that McCaskill and her husband were playing fast and loose with their taxes.

As I said earlier in the thread, I’m wondering if this is enough to kill her candidacy outright or if she’ll hold on for dear life in the vain hope that the graveyard vote in KC and St. Louis will put her over the top again.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

What would Michael J. Fox think of this ??

netdude5 on March 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

She joins a long list of politicians that are tax cheats, whether she’s R or D she needs to be held responsible. These kind of people think they can get away with anything and for he to say it was an accident is BS. So now she’s a liar and tax cheater. Go Claire, go straight to jail.

MJZZZ on March 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Why isn’t this piece of sh*t hyporcite charged?

Anyone who votes to re-elect her is a moron.

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

What would Michael J. Fox think of this ??

netdude5 on March 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I don’t think he’s been this flustered since Rush Limbaugh called him out on skipping his Parkinson’s meds to exacerbate his symptoms for the camera.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

1. The plane is registered to a LLC in Delaware, as mentioned above.

***

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Generally, I have no objections to your post. But I have one quibble.

That the entity is created under a particular state’s law is largely irrelevant for purposes of taxation–income, property, etc. If the entity is keeping up its filings, it files some brief annual statement with Delaware along with a small fee. For purposes of income taxation, federal income taxation is based on worldwide income from whatever source derived, while state income taxation turns on where the income was derived. I’ve never looked at sourcing rules for airplanes, but I’ll assume Claire’s filing returns for states that could claim taxation. But unless Delaware has some nexus to the entity’s income-generating activities, I doubt it’s filing a Delaware income tax return, and, because an LLC is a flow-through entity, I doubt Claire and Mr. Claire are filing Delaware non-resident returns. At a minimum, the entity and the Claire and Mr. Claire are likely filing Missouri state income tax returns. Whether other states are involved is a function of the source of the entity’s income.

As for the personal property taxes are concerned, for movable property (planes, trucks) that is engaged in interstate travel, I think the taxation is based on where the property is primarily housed, which, in this case doesn’t sound as if it has anything to do with Delaware.

In the end, I’m still interested in the income-tax reporting of their personal use of the airplane.

BuckeyeSam on March 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Why isn’t this piece of sh*t hyporcite charged?

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Because she’s a Democrat

NoFanofLibs on March 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Now this fool has a taste of what we taxpayers have to endure from lawmakers (such as herself) who write and or vote on our repulsive tax laws.

paraff on March 22, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I never met a man yet
So cheap he could not stand,
To buy sweet Claire a new jet
On the installment plan…

Haiku Guy on March 22, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Why does that picture remind me of Herve Villechaize?

either orr on March 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Why isn’t this piece of sh*t hyporcite charged?

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Because she’s a Democrat

NoFanofLibs on March 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM
—–

Plenty of pieces of sh*t on both sides of the aisle who never get charged.

Try again.

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Who was that actor that went to jail for non payment of taxes?

Wesley Snipes?

The IRS is racist!

First poor Cholly Wrangle then Wesley, ah, er, ah ,wait did Cholly go to jail?

Ah no!

I guess Congress Critters and Senate Scum are exempt!

dhunter on March 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I sure can’t judge Missouri badly because they elected this lying b!tch. After all, we keep electing that geriatric Depends-wetter, Lugar. Stones, glass houses, etc.

SKYFOX on March 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Everytime “Pitchforks” is challenged on her Obamacare vote, she tosses the grenade back in her challenger’s lap by insisting her constituents would learn to love love love it if only they would take the time to learn more about it just like she did (not).

So we’re supposed to believe McCaskill completely mastered 2,000+ pages of the most byzantine legislation brought forth from the mind of man but oopsy forgot to pay property taxes on a multi-ton flying machine. Tells you what she really thinks of her constituents. Unreal.

Tongueboy on March 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

ANYONE WHO CANNOT MANAGE THEIR OWN FINANCES SHOULD BE PRECLUDED FROM VOTING ON BILLS THAT AFFECT THE NATIONS FINANCES!

PASS A LAW THAT SAYS SO AND GET RID OF 3/4 OF THE CONGRESS CRITTERS AND SENATE SCUM!

dhunter on March 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Not to snipe, but if McNoskill was a hollywood actor, she’d be up on federal charges.

Western_Civ on March 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I’ve been sick ever since I saw that picture.

itsacookbook on March 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Hey, sell it on eBay like Sarah Palin, and ride the bus between St. Louis and Kansas City. Nobody else in MO will vote for her anyway.

Steve Z on March 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Solid B+.

Idfaciam on March 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Just listening to local radio in STL. Pilots calling up saying STL County assessor regularly visits all airports and logs registration numbers of all planes. Wonder why hers didn’t get recorded? STL County Executive under fire this week for making a $70k job for the son of his biggest donor and another for the same guy’s daughter–she only shows up one day a week and “works from home” the rest of the time. You gotta love one party rule.

flyoverland on March 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

LODGE4 on March 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM

We have real estate taxes and personal property taxes in Missouri. Her husband is an owner of numerous nursing homes and when McCaskill was campaigning, she released her tax records but refused to release her husbands.

She has the benefit of this plane but does not own it so there has to be some kind of campaign finance law or income tax law that covers her use of the plane.

Vince on March 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

In CT they even have property taxes on CARS. Private-plane taxes might only affect a few rich people, but car taxes affect pretty much everybody.

Steve Z on March 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Lessee…

89 trips at taxpayer expense… only after getting caught has she “been sick”….

McCaskill = Jacka$$.

Danny on March 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Steve Z on March 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Same here in Missouri. Cars, trucks, trailers, tractors…

It goes to the county roads, ambulance, schools, fire dept., library, parks etc…

Vince on March 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Her lying fat face makes me sick to my stomach.

Buttercup on March 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Gosh, if I had a nickel for everytime I’ve forgotten to pay $300k TAX on ONE of my assets……..

Doesn’t this crap just prove to people how completely out of touch these “Liberals” are? How hypocritical they are? How the crap they constantly spew about the “filthy corporations”, and the “rich”, etc, etc, ad nauseum……..is just cover to keep getting them elected to their incredibly lucrative positions???????!!!!????

KMC1 on March 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM

MNHawk on March 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM

FIFY. And the answer is “no”.

Squiggy on March 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Plenty of pieces of sh*t on both sides of the aisle who never get charged.

Try again.

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM

No, YOU try again. I can’t think of any ‘rightwingers’ who weren’t hammered for these little “mistakes”. I can think of lots and lots of dems who just got away with it (just look at Obozo’s cabinet). Dems get caught and they are (usually) forced to pay it back.

Even when they get caught taking bribes, it can take years for them to be taken to court. “Cold cash” Jefferson even stayed in Congress for two freaking years after he got caught.

Now admit it, Dave. Democrats are “special”.

Squiggy on March 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I’ve been sick ever since I saw that picture.

itsacookbook on March 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Whew…. tell me about it.

That’s a bad picture, even for her. It looks like someone stepped on her face and smashed it in.

UltimateBob on March 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Interesting that last week CNN played Michelle Bachmann’s simple gaffe nonstop in the AM. This week, they have given AirClaire zero coverage.

crscott on March 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Plenty of pieces of sh*t on both sides of the aisle who never get charged.

Try again.

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Tu Quoque fail.

fossten on March 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Isnt it nice that one of our public servants can just whip out her checkbook and cover a $200k charge? Thankfully we pay them enough so they can govern us effectivly without having to worry about such mundane issues as finances.

Koa on March 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Koa on March 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The money to pay it off likely comes from her slumlord hubby, whose income was never disclosed during the 2006 election that put her in over Jim Talent.

teke184 on March 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Claire said: I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since this has happened

Shall I rephrase that for her:
Claire really meant: I have been sick to my stomach for four days since I got caught cheating on my taxes.

There.. thats better

see ya
cathy :)

cathymv on March 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

McCaskill is just another lying corrupt democrat that got caught. Where does the state of Missouri find scum like this to elect. She is sorry, but only because she got caught.

volsense on March 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Why isn’t this piece of sh*t hyporcite charged?

Anyone who votes to re-elect her is a moron.

Dave Rywall on March 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

No worries, Dave. There are plenty of morons in the KC and St. Louis areas that will be more than happy to vote for Class Warfare Claire. She has a “D” in parenths after her name, and that’s all that matters……

djm1992 on March 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

If this turns out to be too much of a political embarrassment, McCaskill may leave the Democrats to run for re-election next year with the more populist “Rent on my plane is too damn high” party.

Now that’s fun-e!

golfmann on March 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for the other guy.

kvader on March 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM

While we honest serfs are getting hit with IRS audits…that twit is getting away with crap.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM

So, you and Bill Maher don’t share the same writer.

Barnestormer on March 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Sarah Steelman is also a strong candidate to ppose McCaskill.

cdor on March 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM

“I’ve been sick to my stomach for four days since this has happened.”

And I’ve been sick to my stomach for four seconds since I saw the photo that AP used for this thread on the front page.

LegendHasIt on March 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Only in Liberalland

McCaskill has even made the unique argument that her own “embarrassing” mistake, as she’s called it, is just another reason to push for more openness in Washington.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Thee, but not me.

“It makes fair game all the unsavory things about all the offshore tax shelters she started in order to avoid paying the same amount in taxes the rest of us do,” said longtime Missouri GOP strategist Gregg Keller, who was recently named executive director of the American Conservative Union.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Honey. Can you spell T O A S T ?

kens on March 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Pie face.
Just sayin’.

justltl on March 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Missouri: PLEASE “primary” her in 2012…

Khun Joe on March 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM