Reid, Murkowski: NPR keeps us up to date on dog racing history

posted at 2:55 pm on March 18, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Do you ever wonder if Democrats might want to ask Harry Reid to stop defending federal spending, at least where cameras can catch his arguments? Last week, Reid tried salvaging money for the National Endowment for the Humanities by pointing out the danger from “mean-spirited” Republican spending reductions to, er, cowboy poetry. Yesterday, Reid teams up with Republican Lisa Murkowski to defend federal spending on NPR.  Why, without that, Reid might never have known the true origins of dog-sled races in Alaska!  Greg Hengler brings us the video:

That’s no more ridiculous than Murkowski’s insistence that federal money go to NPR to keep up the “mukluk telegraph.”  Even if we take Murkowski’s word that NPR allows hunters to communicate that they returned to camp safely and other nonsense in 2011 (I must be missing those NPR broadcasts), do we need to transfer wealth from Minnesota, Florida, and California to fund those efforts?  If Alaska has communications issues — which I doubt, given the prevalence of those newfangled telephone thingies and such — let Alaskans take care of the issue themselves.

NPR’s had a bad enough month as it is.  I’m sure they won’t appreciate the dog of an argument Reid offers here for continuing their federal subsidies.

Comments

Murcowskifava

portlandon on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Uggh. I like NPR. Public radio is consistently the most interesting radio on the dial (not that it has much competition). But boy, do its defenders suck.

YYZ on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

“Mukluk radio telegraph just rolled off her tounge…

These people are pathetic.

Odie1941 on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

oh good grief

cmsinaz on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Cowboy poetry about dogs. Love that stuff.

Bishop on March 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Harry might want to go with the expanded basic cable package so he can watch National Geographic, Discovery, History, etc.

db on March 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

If NPR is that important and popular, I’m sure obtaining private donations will be a breeze. Send out Reid and Murkowski!

conservative pilgrim on March 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I like it when Harry gets in front of the mike. Sort of like Alvin Greene, but without the intellectual depth.

a capella on March 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Eskimos use it. That why you Floridians have to pay for it.

kurtzz3 on March 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

It appears to me that dingy and dear lsia are trying to out do jackson lee, the gal in FL with two last names and so many more with totally stupid statements! Gads, we pay these people to say this? Yes we do!
L

letget on March 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Murkowski….Who was the other candidate? Brown?

Jeez…keep voting for those incumbants.

Oil Can on March 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

but.but..who will i call when my cars makes that ‘aaaooogah’ sound when i make left turns?

/click clack

DrW on March 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

They’re barking up the wrong tree, that dog doesn’t hunt.

rbj on March 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

So if NPR is valuable to Alaska then they can certainly afford to fund it. Knock yourselves out.

sharrukin on March 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Somehow I manage to get through life without listening to NPR.

mankai on March 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Shamelessness, they name is Murkowski.

JohnGalt23 on March 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM

You know, Micklewhite, you were pretty smart to keep your mouth shut after xeroxing….errrr, receiving enough write-in ballots to keep your seat. You were blending in with the rest of the larger and more conservative GOP minority in the Senate. But then you had to go and remind us why we would’ve prefered a complete unknown like Joe Miller with a beard more ridiculous than Matthew Fox’s over a pseudo-conservative RINO like yourself.

Doughboy on March 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I’d be laughing if I wasn’t crying, these morons are the leaders of our country.

MJZZZ on March 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM

As the Tea Party gets more experience, we will nominate better candidates and attract more experienced staffers.

MooCowski is a disgarace.

csdeven on March 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Finally, the ULTIMATE TEAMING!
Dingy Harry and Murky Murk!

pilamaye on March 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Double UHG!

esnap on March 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I keep thinking that I’ve accidently accessed The Onion dot com and am reading a completely bogus article that some desperate comedian has given birth to in cyber space. BUT THIS IS REAL!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! (runs screaming into the night)

(even though its 2PM)

44Magnum on March 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

The Budget Whisperer.

SlaveDog on March 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Without NPR we won’t have any more “Swety Balls”…

PatriotRider on March 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Harry, as one of the fly-over rednecks I give my monthly stippend because I want to hear what NPR has to say. What I don’t want to do is pay them twice for the same service. Get it?

Limerick on March 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

AND THESE PEOPLE GET RE-ELECTED.

blatantblue on March 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I hate Big Bird. There. I said it. Happy now?

faraway on March 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

faraway on March 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Not bad with ranch dressing.

Limerick on March 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

AND THESE PEOPLE GET RE-ELECTED.

blatantblue on March 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

More like re selected.

the_nile on March 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

a capella on March 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Now that’s funny right there. I don’t care where you’re from.

davidk on March 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

If I want the history of dog-racing, I can pay Comcast $50/month for internet access. And I could put my share of NPR funding toward that bill.

Jeddite on March 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Not only do these people get re-elected but most of then actually have licenses to operate motor vehicles. That fact is down right frightening.

MayorDaley on March 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM

The “Mukluk Telegraph” IS A NEWSPAPER of certain tribes in Alaska. Even if we could get past publicly funding radio or tv, there is NEVER any justification for the government to fund a NEWSPAPER! Moreover, hasn’t Harry Reid heard of the Encyclopedia Britannica? I’m quite sure they had topics on the origins of Alaskan dog races. If not, I’m sure Harry could have called up Sarah Palin and she could have given him an accurate historical brief. Or he might have used that internet thingy, “Google” to search for the history of that topic. And in doing any of those things, or countless other types of searches he would never have involved government funds for a project that is outside the confines of the constitution. If Harry wants to fund NPR, he and his liberal friends would be free to make their donations out of their own pockets, just don’t make it mandatory for the rest of us to do so.

eaglewingz08 on March 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Is this a new SNL skit?

Shiny_Tiara on March 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I tried to listen to the history of dog racing, but the NPR person spoke in such a hushed, breathy voice that I couldn’t understand a word of it.

Bishop on March 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM

AND THESE PEOPLE GET RE-ELECTED.

blatantblue on March 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And in the case of Murky Murk, even when these people justifiably go down in flames in the primaries, they can still get re-elected through write-ins!

pilamaye on March 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM

…pseudo-conservative RINO like yourself [Murkowski].

Doughboy on March 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM

She’s not even pseudo-conservative. Hers was a very frustrating and demoralizing reelection.

jwolf on March 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Murkowski and Reid can fund NPR out of their own pockets.

GarandFan on March 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Thanks again, Alaska.
*grumbles

HornetSting on March 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Democrats are certainly correct about their messaging. They have a problem with the message when it comes across this gobsmackingly stupid.

hboulware on March 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

If the Mukitymuk tribes in Alaskan wilderness need some way to communicate, the STATE of Alaska could spend a few 10′s of thousands of dollars and get them ham radios and be done with it.

Or they could let them drill in Alaska and allow Alaskans to use oil royalties to proved cable and broadband to everyone in the state. But no…..

SPCOlympics on March 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Reid’s explanation cracks me up, it is so informative, yet full of “I don’t really remember the place”, “I don’t really remember when”…

right2bright on March 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Do the dog sledders race to the cowboy poetry contests? Now that would be sumthin’ I might pay for. Especially if they serve beer.

kringeesmom on March 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yeah, but Anthony (most appropriate name in Congress) Weiner pulled out the big guns. He told us this if we don’t send our tax dollars to them we may lose Click and Clack forevah!

MJBrutus on March 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Good gawd,at the (9 second mark),”MurkAlaskaJudist” and
“Reid Smells the Tourists” need to get a room at NPR!!

canopfor on March 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Reid: Without Public Funding We would not have Aglet Awareness Day in the Tri-state Area.

He is such a baffoon. I am SOOOO happy I am not a liberal who ahs to defend his lunacy!

jeffn21 on March 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Do you get the idea that she has a land-line phone, a phonograph player and 8-tracks?

Mukluk Telegraph my hairy posterior.

Tim_CA on March 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I hate Big Bird. There. I said it. Happy now?

faraway on March 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I’m waiting for MoveOn.com video showing Mean Ol’ Republican chopping off Big Bird’s while cackling about fixin’ himself some chicken ‘n dumplings.

thuja on March 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Ew. Murkowski is flirtiing with Harry Reid. Gross.

ctmom on March 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM

These people get more pathetic every day.

Gothguy on March 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Play some Bill Moyers video.

Let the PBS ugly hate machine see the sunlight and defund this branch of the democrat party.

Speakup on March 18, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Krykee doodle.

First, Nancy Pelosi has a cranial diarrhea spew.

And now Harry Reid has a cranial diarrhea spew.

HIP WADERS, gentlemen, please!

locomotivebreath1901 on March 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I hate Big Bird. There. I said it. Happy now?
faraway on March 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Oh Oh. That could bring out the ban hammer.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM

What a couple of unmitigated fools.

rplat on March 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The Moonbats of Massachusetts made Dog Racing illegal throwing hundreds of people out of work during the worst recession in recent history. My Grandfather rolled over in his grave.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

It’s not just moonbats.
They have greyhound racing in Wisc.
Some of the survivors of that cruel past time find their way to Illinois.
Dog-racing needs to disappear.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I cannot believe these two brainless twits were reelected.

bw222 on March 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM

YYZ on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

This explains a lot about you.

fossten on March 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Apparently satellite hasn’t made it to Alaska yet? Give me a frickin’ break. Do they think the American people are really that stupid. The story of the iditirod has been out there and told every year by even the networks and can easily be found on the internet with a simple google.

flytier on March 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Thank you, Alaska, for Lisa. She makes everything clear.

unclesmrgol on March 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It’s not just moonbats.
They have greyhound racing in Wisc.
Some of the survivors of that cruel past time find their way to Illinois.
Dog-racing needs to disappear.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I’m betting it’s just Moonbats.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Surely there’s a way to do greyhound racing humanely? Race horses, for example, are treated like kings and queens.

Provided they’re treated kindly and trained well, dogs generally love to do what they’re bred to do — shepherd dogs love to herd, cart dogs (and sled dogs, which brings us sort of back on topic) love to pull, retrievers love to retrieve, and hounds of all kinds love to chase fast-moving things.

I’ve never seen a greyhound race, though, so I can’t judge the humaneness or lack thereof…

Mary in LA on March 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Listen to these paragons of brilliance removes all doubt about why we’re in the fiscal mess we’re in.

itsspideyman on March 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Yesterday, Reid teams up with Republican Lisa Murkowski to defend federal spending on NPR. Why, without that, Reid might never have known the true origins of dog-sled races in Alaska!

I followed not only the Iditarod but the Iron Dog via Twitter. Wikipedia has a fine article about the origins of the Iditarod also. Don’t need NPR for that Harold.

mizflame98 on March 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Anyone who’s changed his mind about anything during a Harry Reid floor speech ought to have that mind thoroughly examined.

Akzed on March 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Wow! I had no idea that NPR was so essential to the public good. s/

jeanie on March 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

a capella on March 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Thanks A capella. Now I have tea all over my flat screen.

/CLEAN UP!!!!!

44Magnum on March 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

The world is burning, but to these idiots the most important thing is hearing about sled dogs on NPR. Is NPR broadcasting information that cannot be obtained elsewhere? I think not.

maryo on March 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

In NPR’s version of the history of dog racing, the evil Republicans enslaved the dogs and made them run so that they could enrich themselves.

maryo on March 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

So….as I understand it…Harry Reid wants to “Muck up” radio by continuing to fund the NPR state propaganda machine!??!!

landlines on March 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Is NPR broadcasting information that cannot be obtained elsewhere? I think not.

maryo on March 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

You can only rely on obtaining the truth elsewhere: NPR has a monopoly on the rest…

landlines on March 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Murcowskifava

portlandon on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Moscowski?

malclave on March 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM

MJBrutus on March 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

WTF ia a “Click and Clack”?

BallisticBob on March 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Why without NPR, I wouldn’t know where I could find information on Dog Sled Racing.

Kafir on March 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

It’s quite possible that Harry Reid is the most out of touch Senate Majority Leader in history. You don’t sell national tax payers on your Cowboy Poetry Festivals in Nevada in fact, after Broke Back Mountain I probably wouldn’t have brought that up myself. Now it keeps him up-to-date on dog racing history? Once again, I doubt it takes too many hands to add up the number of people that listen to NPR for that.

Is the Praire Home Companion a saleable item? I believe it is, in fact it might be more popular on a commercial station, than it is on NPR. The Democrats are really afraid of capitalism and will fight so they don’t have to impose the laws of supply and demand on NPR and PBS.

The Democrats want to win this one very badly, however, would they be willing to allow some conservatives at NPR in exchange for funding? I remember the last time Republicans put a conservative in charge over there, the fight was very, very loud.

bflat879 on March 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Your welcome america
-Alaska

Defector01 on March 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Dear Alaskan Voters,

Go Fu*ck Yourselves.

Jaibones on March 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I still think she stole it…. I don’t know how, but I think so.

golfmann on March 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM

YYZ on March 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Some examples of what you’re talking about would be interesting.

Del Dolemonte on March 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Illogical defense of left-leaning NPR. Actually M(can`t spell it) and Reedy (couldn`t spell that either) are making a case for the somewhat (somewhat) non-political stories NPR sometimes (sometimes) carries. Problem is that NPR is otherwise a lying heap of dog doody. When not lying it is guilty of omission of the facts. Guilty! Guilty!

Both M and R are way retarded too.

Sherman1864 on March 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Alaskans can be proud of their elected write in moron. Mukluk telegraph, indeed! What a waste of good air.

ultracon on March 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM

MJBrutus on March 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM
WTF ia a “Click and Clack”?

BallisticBob on March 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Click and Clack is a show NPR calls “Car Talk” where the “click and clack bros” talk to elites complaining about cars they have mostly neglected to care of properly. They laugh and really yuck yuck it up! Still one can learn a few things from the show. I will not deny that. And that kind of truthful statement is what separates me from liberals.

I wish commenters would avoid the WTFs etcetera. Looks infantile to me.

Sherman1864 on March 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Let’s be honest about this–Liesl Mickeymouski campaigned on her ability to bring federal money to Alaska. As a result, she now has to defend unsustainable levels of spending. Eventually, that she’ll either have to admit what everyone knows (that she’s an useless, entitled, overbearing, worthless sack of sputum) or she leaves the party.

Win-Win.

PetecminMd on March 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Cowboy poetry about dogs. Love that stuff.

Bishop on March 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Is the dog in a pickup truck the singer’s mother is driving when she visits him in prison?

Because when I was a kid, that was called “country music”.

malclave on March 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM

ok as an Alaskan, I can tell that NPR is not the only place ot hear about the dog sled races, but all station were keeping track of the race

ConservativePartyNow on March 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Did Murky say that hunters used npr to let someone know they got back to hunt camp? Seriously? Momma must be so relieved. Maybe they should stay home next time. Now if Reid wants a show with Click and Clack reciting cowboy poetry to little Weiner man, that might sell.

Kissmygrits on March 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Q
Why doesn’t Hotair talk about the exact dollar amount NPR gets?

A
Because then people would realize it’s only a couple of million dollars and a complete waste of f*cking time and energy

Dave Rywall on March 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Reid, Murkowski: NPR keeps us up to date on dog racing history

So they report Democratic primary results. Big deal!

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 19, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Shut them down. Big Bird has a more profitable career path on the Discovery or Learning channels. Not as some prop shield for “All things Liberal and Progressive Considered”.

kens on March 21, 2011 at 8:42 AM