Quotes of the day

posted at 10:36 pm on March 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Gov. Sean Parnell, Ms. Palin’s fellow Republican and former lieutenant, has announced that it is his top priority to undo parts of major oil tax increases that Ms. Palin made law. He argues that high state taxes, not just federal regulations, are preventing oil companies from exploring new drilling in Alaska and therefore jeopardizing future state revenues…

“And the project Ms. Palin once portrayed as her principal legislative triumph, a plan to build a 1,700-mile natural gas pipeline that she said would transform the economy of Alaska and contribute to America’s domestic energy supply, seems an increasingly distant dream, undercut by low gas prices and more practical projects in other states.

“‘She made it an issue,’ said Mike Chenault, the Republican speaker of the State House, who has sponsored a bill that would end Ms. Palin’s pipeline plan if firm evidence of progress is not documented by this summer. ‘That was the way that Alaska was going to move forward. As of yet, we haven’t, in my opinion, moved one step forward.’…

“‘We’re probably the most fiscally sound state in the union,’ said Bert Stedman, a Republican who is co-chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and one of the Legislature’s most influential members. ‘I’d say she had little to nothing to do with it.’”

***
“The reality doesn’t match up to the Governor Parnell’s claims. The number of oil companies filing with the Alaska Department of Revenue has doubled indicating that competition has indeed increased. Alaska has the second most business friendly tax set-up — up two spots since the passage of ACES. Additionally, a report from Governor Parnell’s Department of Revenue indicated that 2009 yielded a record high in oil jobs. Even more recently, the newest employment numbers from Alaska show that oil job numbers were higher in January 2011 than in January 2010, indicating that jobs are growing at the seasonal level. Parnell argues that state revenues are in jeopardy, but it is estimated that his proposal would reduce revenues by $100-200 million. Governor Parnell is right on other issues, but the numbers tell a different story than he asserts when it comes to ACES…

“Let’s take a look at Senator Stedman’s voting record, shall we? Stedman voted ‘No’ on ACES, which did contribute to Alaska’s $12 billion surplus. However, Stedman did vote ‘Yes’ on Governor Murkowski’s corruption-tainted oil tax plan. Stedman also voted to override Governor Palin’s veto of stimulus funding in 2009.

“Also, as a part of the both the Senate Finance and Legislative Budget and Audit committees since 2005, Stedman helped craft and voted for every operating and capital budget proposal brought before the state Senate. Governor Palin vetoed hundreds of millions of dollars from the FY2008 capital budget alone, and in full made the largest veto cuts in the state’s history. Additionally, Governor Palin cut the state budget by 9.5% during her time as Governor compared to Governor Murkowski, indicating that Governor Palin’s fiscal restraint, not legislative spending, was the cause of Alaska’s fiscal strength. It’s quite obvious that Governor Palin’s record shows far greater fiscal responsibility than Senator Stedman’s, and Governor Palin can rightly take far more credit for Alaska’s fiscal health than Senator Stedman.”

***
“The New York Times just can’t seem to get much of anything right lately. No wonder they’re facing economic and reputation woes. Their article today falsely reporting on my record as governor is full of spin, and I shall call them out on it

“Alaska enjoys a $12 billion surplus thanks to ACES and the sound fiscal policies of my administration. I put billions of dollars aside in savings accounts (though I could have easily spent those billions and made a lot of friends with big-spending legislators on both sides of the aisle), and I continued to veto excess spending and Obama stimulus funds, and chopped earmarks by 86% – much to the chagrin of liberal legislators who were used as “sources” in the article. It’s kind of amusing to see state legislators claim credit for the surplus when they didn’t vote for ACES, and they cried to high heaven when I vetoed their wasteful spending on their special interest projects.

“Of course, I could have made a lot more friends in Juneau if I had spent the surplus. But I chose to put billions in savings for a rainy day and return a portion to the people of Alaska. (It was their money after all.) I paid down hundreds of millions of dollars into our under-funded state pension plans, then set aside another billion for forward-funding education. I fought the union’s demands for more benefits, engaged in hiring freezes, and cut frivolous state expenditures – again, much to the chagrin of those who spend other people’s money recklessly. That’s sound fiscal policy. I’m proud of it, and Alaska is stronger today because of it.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

NY times to Sarah Palin:

“Now go home and get your shine box.”

Sarah Palin to New York Times:

“Now, where did I put that Louisville Slugger? On, HERE it is!”

Palin/West 2012

Naturally Curly on March 19, 2011 at 9:26 AM

The REAL QOTD!

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Go to gatewaypundit.com to see more on Palin’s speech.

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

crap I wish hotair would have had an open thread on this speech.

unseen on March 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

upinak on March 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

After all this time, I still am not sure – are you FOR Palin or AGAINST?

Lanceman on March 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I think what up is pointing out is that the FERC is getting in the way?

Do I have that right, Up?

victor82 on March 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Do I have that right, Up?

victor82 on March 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

palin listened to advisors and went to FERC when all they had to do was go to the State and canada and make up a contract. FERC is a lost cause…. and clause.

upinak on March 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM

After all this time, I still am not sure – are you FOR Palin or AGAINST?

Lanceman on March 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

you obviously haven’t been around long enough to already know the answer to that question. I will let you stew on that.

upinak on March 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

After all this time, I still am not sure – are you FOR Palin or AGAINST?

Lanceman on March 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Does it matter? If so, why?

SKYFOX on March 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

upinak on March 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I have been around plenty long and you know it. I just don’t know. Sometimes I think yes and sometimes I think no.

Lanceman on March 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Does it matter? If so, why?

SKYFOX on March 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Because Upinak is a woman from Alaska. Must I start calling you LexhamFOX?

Lanceman on March 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

It’s Time A Woman Became President of the United States

~ Sarah Palin

Let the trolls and the “she ain’t running” bunch wallow in that a while.

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

It’s Time A Woman Became President of the United States

~ Sarah Palin
Let the trolls and the “she ain’t running” bunch wallow in that a while.

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

There is a group over at conservatives4palin.com who think
very highly of Bauchmann. I am not one of them; she is a good senator, however, I do not want her as president.
I hope that Palin is not going to announce that she(Palin)
is not running and is supporting Bauchmann instead. I will
not vote for anyone who is not a governor. We need that
business type expertise, not a senator who makes stupid laws and shoots off their mouths. That said, Palin running
for president is probably now only a family decision – how
it would affect her family. Not the actual presidency portion -but, how the run itself would affect the family.
Its grueling and if you think the media has been hard on Palin and her family now, just wait.

Others have said this, and I will also. If Palin does
not run I will vote for the republican candidate. Other than that I will have no interest in the campaign.

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM

There is a group over at conservatives4palin.com who think
I hope that Palin is not going to announce that she(Palin)
is not running and is supporting Bauchmann instead. I will
not vote for anyone who is not a governor. We need that
for president is probably now only a family decision – how

Others have said this, and I will also. If Palin does

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM

A lot of us like Michelle Bachmann, but she doesn’t have the experience or ability to be President.

I WILL NOT vote for someone who has not been a Governor.

Sarah is running though. I think the whole “I’ll run if no one else steps up” shtick is just that. She’s setting a standard that no one can meet, except her.

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I notice this periodically but as far as I know they haven’t had an open registration since the management changed; I don’t have a clue where they come from.

Eren on March 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM

You can talk your way in to HA, like I did over a year ago (before the sale). Ed let me in after about a dozen “I’d like to post this response to X” emails.

Highlight of my year, it was!

Who is John Galt on March 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well you are right about the fact that noone can meet
her standards except her. I actually pray that she
will be our president. Otherwise I think we will progress
along the socialist path we’ve been on for decades; albeit
unwittingly until Obama.

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well you are right about the fact that noone can meet
her standards except her. I actually pray that she
will be our president.
Otherwise I think we will progress
along the socialist path we’ve been on for decades; albeit
unwittingly until Obama.

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Me too!

She’s the ONLY choice that makes sense.

With the rest, it’s only a matter of time before we fall off the edge, crashing and burning. Obama will get us there faster, but the best the GOP show ponies can muster is a slow down.

Sarah will reverse us and take us in a new, better direction.

At this point, there is no way I’d settle for anyone else.

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

NYT, There You Go Again by Sarah Palin on Friday, March 18, 2011 at 4:04pm.

Ha ha ha

Ouch. That’s gotta sting.

bitsy on March 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM

One of my favorite quotes from India:

“Sometimes I think Republicans have the fighting instincts of sheep!”

gary4205 on March 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Oh my goodness! Could you imagine a Palin/West ticket? Will never happen. I would pay good money to see West rip through Biden!

Life could not get that good.

Christie/West would be good to.

I need to stop

kara26 on March 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Look at the above quote. Note the text that I have emphasized. “Ms. Palin”, “Ms. Palin”, “Ms. Palin”, etc..

This kind of stuff pisses me off. It is such a bias in writing. When talking about a former official, it is customary to use the highest title that they held. We still talk about President Carter, President Reagan, General MacArthur, Governor Huckabee, etc. It is a sign of respect.

If you do not feel compelled to show the respect, or if you are antagonistic (or possibly simply thoughtless), you should say “Sarah Palin” or simply “Palin” (since everybody knows about who you are speaking once you have established “Governor Palin” or “Sarah Palin” earlier in the text.

However, to continuously waste print space repeating the “Ms.” in “Ms. Palin” is a conscious, biased act of political hackery. It is an attempt to convey to the reader the meaning of “this person is nothing special, nothing to look at, they never did anything worthy of a title or of our respect and, thus, we will show them none and neither should you”.

It is something that many people will miss, since it is almost subliminal, but, repeated many times over time, it could have the desired effect of lowering her in some people’s eyes.

The media did this a lot with President George W. Bush as well. They never, ever do it with President Clinton or anybody else on their side.

(Sorry for the rant, but this double-standard, this media bias really, really pisses me off.)

Theophile on March 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

okay, this is just plain stupid.

the “pipeline” will only start when (more like if) FERC decides to sign the contract. in 2 yrs! 2 freaking years!!!! Most people in industry which include the large producing comps and the independents are thinking it is never going to happen and are looking for the all alaska pipeline route now.

At this moment, no one (transcanada and denali) are buying pipe for either job here in alaska and setting it up for storage. WE don’t manufacture it up here so wouldn’t it be prudent to start ordering it now if they thought they were going to get the pipe since there is such a backlog in trying to buy it? Months of waiting for pipe!

There are also no permitting concerning environmental bs on burying pipe, nor speaking with the natives about their land. nothing. Not even a public forum or opinion to be sent in. I have yet to hear a go on anything.

/Everyone industry wise is waiting on the FERC to see what they may say.

upinak on March 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Great googly moogly, do you even know what FERC is? It’s the agency that regulates natural gas pipelines, they don’t sign contracts, they simply approve and regulate pipelines and their construction. And they ain’t holding nothing up because they have nothing to approve. They approved the project to proceed to open season and that’s all they have to do for now. They’re still no shipping commitments and until there is FERC has done all it can do. They’re not going to mess around with permitting if there’s no commitment from the producers and with no commitment from the producers there’s no pipeline.
FERC ain’t holding up anything cause there’s nothing to hold up.

lowandslow on March 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Now I am thoroughly disgusted.

I was out all afternoon and came back to check if Hot Air had posted anything about Palin’s speech in India.

Well they posted all right, but not about India. They
actually have given space to something I didn’t even bother
to check out – The words – Bill Maher – Palin – Crotch
were in the subject heading.

Clean up your act.

Amjean on March 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM

AshleyTKing on March 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM

F%$^&#g crickets.

Badger40 on March 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

“Did you hear this — Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb twats, did you —”

Bill Maher.