Video: Pop music ends

posted at 10:10 pm on March 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

I held out on posting about it for as long as I could but (a) we desperately need a palate cleanser, and (b) as yesterday’s dopey bully post proved, when it comes to news priorities, Obama’s right and I’m wrong.

Do I need to introduce this clip, incidentally? Is there a single HA reader who doesn’t know instantly from the front-page screenshot where this post is headed? When I checked the video’s YouTube page last night, it had somewhere in the neighborhood of 10.5 million views. Go see where it’s at now. The phrase “Rebecca Black” has been one of the top 10 highest trending terms on Twitter for a solid week, and an appearance on “Good Morning America” is in the works. It’s an Internet phenomenon on the order of “Chocolate Rain.” But why? Is it really that bad?

Pretty much, yeah:

Black, 13, certainly never anticipated the social media uproar, mainstream media hellfire, parodies, and remixes that greeted “Friday” as the video became nearly ubiquitous across Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. Time.com called the song–which provides a primer on the days of the week, innocently celebrates partying, and ponders the merits of “kickin’ it” in a car’s front versus the back seat from a wholesome teen girl P.O.V.–“a whole new level of bad” and “a train wreck.” Slate proclaimed “Friday” “disastrous” while Yahoo asked straight up, “Is YouTube sensation Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’ the worst song ever?”…

According to Oliver Wang, a pop-music critic and sociology professor at California State University, Long Beach, “ ‘Friday’ embodies any number of current trends practically guaranteed to inspire a set of backlashes.” Among them: “music for teens, anemic dance tracks, Auto-Tuned vocals, super-trite songwriting and most of all, a resentment towards young people whose presence seems to disproportionately dominate social media.”

The first time I watched it, I wasn’t paying attention to the lyrics so I missed the joke. It sounded like any other piece of tween bubblegum, basically a Miley Cyrus number produced in 10 minutes instead of 20. But now that I’ve absorbed it all — the “cereal” line, the monotone “fun, fun, fun, fun” refrain, and the immortal Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday chronology — I … still think it sounds like a Miley Cyrus number produced in 10 minutes instead of 20. It’s catchy as hell in its own goofy way, which helps explain why it’s now at number 54 on iTunes and climbing. I hope the poor kid makes millions from it; some of the mockery’s been so nasty and personal that she says she feels “cyberbullied.” She’ll have the last laugh when she and Justin Bieber open the MTV Video Music Awards by dueting on it. (That’s a prediction, not a confirmed fact, but just you wait.)

As for how this production came to be, well, that’s a long strange story, my friends. I’ll leave you to follow that last link and see for yourself how strange. Just know this: If you’ve got a little girl at home who’s dreaming of Miley-esque stardom, start saving now. After this, it’ll be “Friday” for every tween in the land. Three clips for you here, one of the video itself and two parody/tributes. The Dylan cover is my favorite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

yes. I have no idea who this chick is.

and I’m thinkin’ that’s okay….

ted c on March 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

/raises hand

FloatingRock on March 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

That is just everything that I hate about modern pop music rolled into 6 minutes. Well done Rebecca, well done.

Sharke on March 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

===========================================
Good point,the CREW is restless!(sarc).

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Someone help me out:

What comes after Thursday?

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Never heard of her. I listened to two minutes. Sounds better than Lady Beyonce.

carbon_footprint on March 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I don’t know anything about it either, but then I do have to work for a living. :)

Bob's Kid on March 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

One more hand… and what is ‘Chocolate Rain’?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Never heard of her…but then I have no idea who that Pawlenty guy is, either.

Knott Buyinit on March 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

First off, what the hell did Miley Cyrus ever do to you, and this is my favorite take on this video:

di butler on March 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Let me be clear….I had no idea what this was.

aquaviva on March 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Here is some real news. Surprised you guys have not posted this:
Monster Truck Kills Girl in Strip Club Parking Lot.

And according to her facebook, she was a staunch conservative. And beautiful.

carbon_footprint on March 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

/also raises hand

justltl on March 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

One more hand… and what is ‘Chocolate Rain’?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I am sensing some of us spend way too much time online. That’s ancient. The Rebecca Black thing is actually from last Friday, so in internet time, it’s old news.

di butler on March 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

This is “CJ Fam”
Over I think the past 24 hours or so she has become somewhat of a sensation thanks to blogs like DListed and OMG.
I defy anyone to watch it’s video and tell me the cute girl in the “Friday” video above is worse and has the “worst song ever”.

Marcus on March 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I’m not sure I (or anyone) can distinguish this from the other over-produced songs of any other Disney teen “icon.” Which is as sad as it sounds.

Patrick Ishmael on March 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Bravo to the Bob Dylan parody.

Whoever did the Bob Dylan goof deserves a Grammy.

Everyone should listen to the Bob Dylan parody to hear how atrocious the lyrics are.

Lance Murdock on March 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Don’t get.

Purple Fury on March 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM

A picture of the poor girl.

She was working as a Patron Girl.

carbon_footprint on March 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM

/raises hand too

Need a mouth washer?

Click here

It’s cool, it’s Zeppelin.

Mouthwash…

Patrick on March 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

di butler on March 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Are you saying I can’t hang with the cool kids now?

And Chocolate Rain isn’t something disgusting is it?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I’m usually pop-culture savvy, but, er, this is the first time I’ve heard this song or heard of her.

SouthernGent on March 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Oh man music needs to lose this horrible sterile sickly sweet style. It’s just so goddamn offensive on the ears. I have to wash away the syrup with something rough around the edges, how about the late great Karen Dalton, now there’s a voice I can drink like whiskey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raLXnnlPI_I

Sharke on March 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I made it to 45 seconds- Dear God, auto tune from hell.
Makes me long for Sharia Law.

jjshaka on March 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Her and Sheen need to duet, we so excited.

wheelgun on March 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Ah yes,the carefree youthful days,of working through
the week,with Pettys,Don’t want to live like a refugee,
and Friday,putting in the casette into the pioneer stero,
with lover Boy,and bang’n the gerars to pick up the girlfriend/wife,yup…………………..
==========================================

“Loverboy – Working For The Weekend”

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I had never heard of her.

And after watching that video, I never want to hear her again.

NebCon on March 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

well, from the first ~20 comments, it looks like the only thing distinguishing the alphas from the beta is the knowledge of just how important this chick happens to be? amirite?

ted c on March 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

All of sudden, Debbie Deborah Gibson isn’t not that bad.

ExUrbanKevin on March 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Thanks for keeping me up on the latest funny haha.

Her voice is awful, I mean seriously wow. But I bet that Dylan version of it would sell haha.

brak on March 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Are you kidding me? WTH is this?

Lanceman on March 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM

fun fun fun fun…..

GAAAH! *looks up some Rush on YouTube as a palate cleanser*

Sekhmet on March 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

ted c on March 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

ted c:Well,the car part,reminds me of the NO WORRIES,and
FUN of one’s youthful days!!:)

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM

“The Dylan cover is my favorite.”

I like the Groundhog Day Remix because it’s only 32 seconds.

Dusty on March 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I MISS THE ORGASMIC ROBOT HumperBOT….*sigh*!(sarc).

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I want more “bully” posts… and Allah: please get a picture of the bully mother as an update. Thanks!

Khun Joe on March 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM

The only kind of “partying” I envision that little girl doing is slumber parties with her friends, putting on make-up and doing their nails…. not partying like Charlie Sheen.

txag92 on March 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

It reminds me of that Vanessa Carlton song. Maybe the Wayans brothers can make fun of Rebecca’s song when they’re dressed up in drag and White face in “White Chicks 2: We’re Not Annoying When We’re Drunk”.

SouthernGent on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Another hand.
(and my teenager’s hand too)

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I was starting to get annoyed with you AP that you made me listen to that…..until I heard the Dylan parody. All is now well in my world.

latinchic on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I was actually diggin’ it until the “we so excited” bit. I can excuse predictable pop pablum but i can’t excuse suburban kids trying to sound ‘hood, that’s just gotta stop.

clearbluesky on March 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Some more mouthwash.

A clip of Mountain, doing Mississippi Queen at a fest in 1970 in Michigan, that was as big and nice as Woodstock, but never got the publicity.

Patrick on March 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

/raises hand

FloatingRock on March 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

…got my hand up to….so much for being kool.
(I have a 13 year old daughter and still nothing)

….this song certainly represents the twitter/facebook generation….
…….people chattering so much about nothing they run out of things to say…… they are regulated to “which seat will I take” and repeating “Fun,Fun,Fun” over and over.

….the privileged lifestyle that has no more worries than waiting for the weekend and riding around in a high dollar Benz, trying to figure out whether to “kick it” in the front seat or “in the back.”
…..Make sure you get the cool Black Guy in there so you can have a little bit of street cred……hope he can finally figure out which lane to take…..

…yea…..”We..We…We…so excited”

Hurry up and get this sh!t down to Gitmo and Bagram…..they will tell everything they know in a heartbeat.

Would love to hear what Jim Morrison would have said about this “music”

Baxter Greene on March 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I should shamelessly post my band here

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

The new Janis Joplin?

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Good gracious. Never heard of her or the song. (some of us have lives apart from cyberspace) Over 14 million views on YouTube? She has a ringtone? Top 50 on iTunes? Never want to hear that….again. Ever.

And you’re right AP–she’ll be at the next Teen Awards, the song will be in a movie, interviews will be done. Who knows, she’ll prolly get an invite to the WH and a record contract.

I…….feel…….sick.

conservative pilgrim on March 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I should shamelessly post my band here

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I would have done it for you months ago if I knew how.

Lanceman on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I’ve heard worse. I first heard “Back in the USSR” after I had read both “The Liberators” and “Inside the Aquarium” and already had a pretty good idea of exactly how “lucky” one was to be in the USSR, which such memorable segments as the poisoning of the Volga, orientation films featuring a former co-worker being fed feet first into an incinerator, and other such “fun”.

Perhaps its the number of useful idiots I seem to find myself dealing with, who are absolutely certain that state run everyting is the greatest thing since sliced bread that is why that song really gets to me.

Voyager on March 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Sucks. I have no idea who she is… and I have three daughters, 16, 14 & 12.

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Buster says this is one of AP’s favorite songs.

WTF?
No way.

justltl on March 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I would have done it for you months ago if I knew how.
Lanceman on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Thanks! :)

If you guys want some original music look up Mumford and Sons. Great stuff. Went platinum recently. Played with Dylan at Grammys. I saw em twice in NYC before they hit it big. London export. Great guys

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Really don’t get the strong reaction to this. The song is either someone’s attempt to produce a hit by combining all the proven elements of current pop music, or it’s a joke based on same. Either way, it’s harmless and certainly not the worst song ever.

And yea, I did know what the post was about based on the front page pic. I def. spend to much time on the internet.

WaltzingMtilda on March 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

This is truly an amazing study in the power of the Internet.

The Dylan cover is genius.

WisCon on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Andy Warhol was right. Everyone will be world famous for 15 minutes. Only it’s no longer in the future….it’s NOW.

Welcome to the Internet Generation. Where everyone’s a star.

(Personally, the whole thing bothers me on all sorts of levels, not the least of which is the mindless concept of “party, party, party” being the meaning of life, and the sexualizing of young girls.)

theotherone on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Ah, the hell with it: I like it.

Kensington on March 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

/raises hand

FloatingRock on March 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

me too… I knid of like the Dylan version…

CCRWM on March 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Three points, one of which may make me a pariah:

1) I had not heard of Black or Friday before reading this post — one of the reasons I like HA and AP as much as I do, as it keeps me fully informed.

2) I like the song better than 99.99 percent of the crappy rap songs I am subjected to.

3) I like the song better than 80 percent of Country Western material I hear.

Mitigating factor: I have a son who is nearly a tween, so I am exposed to this sort of thing more often than some. Maybe you build up an immunity?

Mutnodjmet on March 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I guess those that haven’t heard of this also don’t go on Reddit. All over that site for the past few days. It practically begged for a meme.

LastRick on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Voyager on March 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Lighten up, Francis. Back in the USSR was a joke. There was a campaign in England at the time called “I’m Backing the UK!” and McCartney was just having fun.

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Um I don’t know why it is getting so many hits.

terryannonline on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Andy Warhol could not be reached for comment.

ronsfi on March 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I haven’t the slightest idea who/what AP is talking about.

Missy on March 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I should shamelessly post my band here

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Who would sink that low?

Nothing But Sky

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM

This was my first exposure to this. I’m sorry, but I only made it to about 40 seconds in. It’s frightening to me that there would be another 3 minutes. Even more frightening is that there are people that enjoy this, and I’m sick that I contributed a “view”.

JimRich on March 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 10:53 P

Meeee

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM

The day sequence is good, but the best part is the rap interlude that has nothing to do with the rest of the video.

WisCon on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I don’t even know what auto-tune is, but is it supposed to make her sound, you know, in tune? Because that just made me want to stab myself in the ear.

Oh, and count me with the never heard of this before now crowd. I contend that the worst part was the ubiquitous ‘rap solo interlude’. I don’t know how that guy can show his face in front of his homies. Even worse than Ice-T in Breakin’.

SittingDeadRed on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Yeah, I always thought it was a joke – a riff on “California Girls” as well as the above reference.

Missy on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

“Back in the USSR”

Voyager on March 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Come on! It was a rip on the Beach Boy’s California Girls. Plus Georgia’s always on my mind is tipping a hat to Ray Charles.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM

WisCon on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I sense that we were on the same wavelength and that you correctly assumed that nothing in this thread should be considered worthy of a /sarc tag.

SittingDeadRed on March 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I should shamelessly post my band here

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

blatantblue:Let er rip!:)

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM

This is “CJ Fam”

Marcus on March 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

It’s all from the same producer.

SirGawain on March 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM

As far as I’m concerned, music was murdered by Sergeant Pepper in Abbey Road with an LP.

OldEnglish on March 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Vey nice. I’ll have to “Like” you on Facebook.
The site looks good too… but I couldn’t get the Photos link to work.

I’m just sayin’

;)

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM

My eyes and my ears are having an argument over which gets to bleed first.

trigon on March 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I have no idea who these people are. I’ve heard of Bieber but that’s about it.

Rick9911 on March 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM

For a poster named after a great song I would expect a more critical reaction to this abomination.

SittingDeadRed on March 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Years ago, comedian Steve Allen did a great routine where he would read lyrics as poetry. It was side splittingly funny. It really showed how absurd some lyrics really are. He liked to use Beatles lyrics because they are really lame.

DAT60A3 on March 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM

And Chocolate Rain isn’t something disgusting is it?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

You’re just making AP feel under appreciated. Happy now?

It’s nothing “disgusting”, but at the same time, it’s awful.

I couldn’t find the original HA post, so you’ll have to live with the Chad Vader cover: http://hotair.com/archives/2007/08/15/video-chad-vader-covers-chocolate-rain/

TexasDan on March 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I don’t even know what auto-tune is

SittingDeadRed on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

This the first auto-tune that broke big. Great bit with Katie Couric at 1:20 in.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Mankai sorry bout that. Forgot to add it isn’t totally finished. Is on Facebook though

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

What I hate about the samples of our stuff at amazon is that the guitar solos aren’t featured.

Gotta go to Myspace for the full tracks.

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I’m shocked anyone thinks this is anything other than harmless fun. For a lot of 13-yr-olds, I bet this seems like a great song.

Clark1 on March 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Would love to hear what Jim Morrison would have said about this “music”

Baxter Greene on March 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Baxter Greene:The music now is crap,I’m stuck in the late
60′s,through to the 80′s!:)

canopfor on March 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM

TexasDan on March 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Startin’ to really appreciate the value of being uncool.

That was awful.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Whitest.music.video.ever.

rickyricardo on March 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Mankai what sort of music are you?
On my phone so I can’t hear

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Mutnodjmet on March 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I think you’re right. I had never heard of this because it dsoesn’t interest me. But when my son was a nearly teen I have to admit I knew who Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer were. (I am so embarrassed.)

Deanna on March 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Clark1 on March 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

That’s the problem. The song sounds like it was written by a six year old. We shouldn’t have 13 year olds sounding like their six.

terryannonline on March 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Meeee

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Well…what are you waiting for post it…

CCRWM on March 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM

CCRWM on March 17, 2011 at 11:13

Oh I did :)

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Mankai what sort of music are you?
On my phone so I can’t hear

blatantblue on March 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM

In that incarnation… pop/rock/garage. Built around catchy choruses and guitar solos. We were part of the unsuccessful end of the successful central NC scene that gave us Ben Folds, The Connells, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Bus Stop and Antheneum. We dragged on in one form or another for over a decade. I’ve done mostly darker-sounding solo stuff the last few years.

mankai on March 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

You know, I found out who Justin Beiber was from reading a blog post online in just this same manner. Between that discover and this, sometimes I f**king hate the internet.

Hoodlumman on March 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I never heard of her, but she’s super cute, kinda mono tone, but better than 90% of the crap on the radio.

Oh, and I think I paid a hooker in El Salvador to perform chocolate rain on my A-gunner when he passed out under the sink in her bathroom.

Alden Pyle on March 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

If this tune was a calculated attempt to create something irritating and bad in order to bag a novelty hit…..they are geniuses.

If this was the creation of some young kids who obviously are cutting their teeth as songwriters and producers, creating something organically awful in the normal process of gaining experience and “doing”……god bless em.

rickyricardo on March 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

/raises hand. I miss Tracey Chapman. But I love the Dylan parody and the Ground Hog day trashing.

I envision a video which shows her pulling out monday/tuesday/wednesday…underwear from her dresser, confused as to which pair to wear. Saturday comes after Friday…

Buy Danish on March 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Where?

CCRWM on March 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Never mind found it…breathinbeast right…

CCRWM on March 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM