Dem Rep wants to make bullying a federal offense

posted at 9:30 am on March 17, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

If taxpayers wonder why federal budgets have ballooned over the last few decades, look no further.  Riding the coattails of one of the few issues on which Barack Obama has willingly engaged, a House Democrat has proposed making school bullies a federal jurisdiction:

While the Department of Education continues its crackdown on mean-spirited taunting on Facebook, some members of Congress are joining the fight in Washington’s War on Bullying with a new bill aimed directly at kids who target students with disabilities.

Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat, will introduce a bill that would require schools to report incidents of bullying against children diagnosed with conditions like Down syndrome and Aspergers to the federal government. It would also mandate that any federal dollars that promote anti-bullying programs focus partially on that group.

“There is [currently] no requirement that as part of the anti-bullying curriculum, that there be made specific reference to children with special needs. That’s particularly dumb,” Speier said during a briefing on school bullying on Capitol Hill Wednesday. “What I want to do is create an environment where there is zero tolerance. I think that starts first with education and awareness. Then, when behavior is egregious, then people have to be called out on that.”

Speier’s part of the minority and will have a tough time getting her bill to a floor vote, unless of course Republicans decide to join in on expanding federal authority.  And why not?  If they do, they get to say that they’re trying to protect the defenseless against victimization.  If they don’t, then Speier and her allies in Congress and the media will paint the GOP as heartless, and perhaps secretly indebted to the all-powerful bullying lobby.

Of course, that’s ridiculous.  Everyone knows that public-employee unions back Democrats.

Seriously, though, what part of this transaction has any federal jurisdiction at all?  Not the schools, which operate through local school boards, buried under federal mandates as they are.  Not the disabled, whose citizenship does not transcend local communities and states in the manner that military personnel and federal workers might in a legal sense.  The bullies are certainly not federally funded.  Assaults and batteries are crimes that don’t require federal intervention in other contexts.  So why would anyone in Congress propose creating an entirely new federal bureaucracy to tally and track bullies in schools who pick on the disabled, among other kids?

If public schools aren’t competent to deal with these situations, then that is a problem for the school boards, parents, and the community … and a great argument for school vouchers.  Meanwhile, Speier’s caucus couldn’t even pass a budget with a 77-seat majority last year in what was their primary jurisdiction.  Why should we trust them to take on entirely new jurisdictions?  And shouldn’t Congress be focused on budgets before looking for new vistas to expand federal powers anyway?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Akzed on March 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Now I know why they want this. In the new job market people with petty things on their permanent record aren’t being able to get jobs. It creates a new constituency for the Dems.

chemman on March 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Our was called “Trench Warfare” and featured people behind you as well as in front. If half the players didn’t return from the game with red heads from being smacked in the noggin, it was considered a tame session.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Yep, we pushed the bleachers back in the gym and played length-wise. The area sideline to sideline was no-mans land. Some of the best team building lessons learned during the whole 4 years.

darwin-t on March 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) fired up a group of union members in Boston: “Every once and awhile you need to get out on the streets and get a little bloody when necessary.”

Civil War in the Democrat party!

itsnotaboutme on March 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat

Another freakin left-coast mental midget.

What the hell is wrong with CA voters? They must truly revere stupidity.

CantCureStupid on March 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Under this new law would all of those Union ‘protesters’ who cornered and harassed that Republican rep be charged with Federal crimes? Oh wait, Holder will get to decide which bully’s are worth prosecuting. I’m sure this will end well.

SittingDeadRed on March 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Speier is another Obamabot. Concentrate on the little things. The BIG problems will take care of themselves. And if they can’t, blame it on conservatives.

GarandFan on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

“bring a gun to a knife fight” “get in their faces” “find an a__ to kick” — Obama

Civil War in the Democrat party!

itsnotaboutme on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Ohhhh, I’m intrigued. Why did you change your handle?

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM

To match the name of my independent, unbiased blog. Also I never really liked the other handle. It was just something I had used to sign into Malkin.

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

darwin-t on March 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

You also learned just how well you could contort your body. Being the last guy left and subject to fire from every quarter, man, it resembled a B-grade martial arts movie trying to survive.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Nice. Lets spend MORE federal dollars on maintstreaming special ed students.

deadrody on March 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I find your comment to be…insulting.
I WAS a Special Education student that got ‘mainstreamed’ in 6th grade-but only after my parents fought for years to get me out of the system.
I wasn’t stupid-I just learned differently.
Then-and even today-certain ‘educators’ couldn’t handle someone that didn’t fit in their little pre-conceived box.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Just read it. Heh. Loads of fun!

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Democrats:

They’ll spend endless hours and tax payer money arguing over how to deal with 10 year old bullies in schools.

But do nothing about the bully in North Africa.

IMHO, there are very few Democrats in Congress that shouldn’t be serving in anything higher than city council. Think about it. They want to micro-manage at the local level but not deal with national priorities. The city council is where they belong.

SPCOlympics on March 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

What was your handle?

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Yeah because you can soooo legislate against mean girls.

Lily on March 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM

After this bill, Rep. Speier intends to introduce a bill making it a federal offense for not washing your hands before leaving a public restroom. “It’s just so icky!,” said Rep. Speier, “We must do everything in our power to stop such ickyness.”

olesparkie on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Meanwhile, investigations continue in the Gunwalker scandal:

Welcome to the party, pal! Darrell Issa finally weighs in on Gunwalker Scandal. Has four investigators working the scandal.

Rep. Issa wants answers from ATF on “gunwalking”

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, is calling on the ATF to answer questions and produce documents about “gunwalking” operations where guns were allegedly allowed into Mexico in order to track drug cartels.

A CBS News investigation revealed that thousands of guns have found their way into criminal hands in Mexico as part of Operation Fast and Furious and Project Gunrunner.

The letter also accuses the agency of not cooperating with existing congressional inquiries on the program led by Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa).

Insert witty screen name here on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

So stupid. The way to end bulling in the school yard is to do what the kid in that video did. Stand up for yourself and let the bully know you are done. We don’t need to feds to get involved.

milwife88 on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

What was your handle?

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Whoops, I’m a dummy… “LibTired”.

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Yeah because you can soooo legislate against mean girls.

Lily on March 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The girls were the WORST too.
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Brought to you by the developers of “hate” speech. Whatever that is!

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

All the adults in charge today went to school when there were not all these rules at school. And they survived and got by and became successful.
Why was it okay for them to go to school without all these politically correct rules, but kids today cannot?
Are adults in charge today more stupid?

albill on March 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Whoops, I’m a dummy… “LibTired”.

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I know you! :)

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

If stupid were against the law Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat would be facing consecutive life sentences!

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I remember you! I looked at your blog to try and figure it out but I’m no Sherlock Holmes.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

“Zero Tolerance” of violence only means that the misbehaving kids get to commit violence against the rule abiding kids freely.

Count to 10 on March 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

A bully – who was raised by a bully- was “sent” by his father to beat up my son, because the father decided his kid didn’t make the baseball team due to my kid making the team. The bully waited until there were no teachers around & jumped my kid. My kid followed the school’s “Zero Tolerance” rules of ducking/backing up, only raising your hands to block the hits, then he had enough & hit the bully in the face giving him a bloody nose, a split lip & 2 black eyes. Like the kid in that video my son is much larger. An excuse the kid & his family tried to use. The entire baseball team was ready to describe the situation to the principal but the principal didn’t want to hear it. The bully told the authorities his father told him to do it, it didn’t matter. Since my son didn’t follow the “Zero Tolerance” rules he was given the identical punishment as the bully, suspension & a misdemeanor ticket from the police.

We found out from other parents that even when their kids followed the so-called Zero Tolerance policy if the bully said they were struck then the victim was charged identically as the bully.

The prosecutor dismissed the charges when he heard from the witnesses & saw my son’s defensive bruises. The bully had started stuff with other boys on the team prior to the incident, after that incident he never went near them again.

I wonder if Ms. Speier understands what part of that incident stopped the bullying, or if she would read this & say – of course the victim should be punished he didn’t let the government solve his problem.

batterup on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

batterup on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Exactly. I always told my son not to start anything, but if a bully started in on him that he needed to defend himself, school rules be damned. He’d get 1000% support from me.

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Whoops, I’m a dummy… “LibTired”.
The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

You were LibTired? No shiite, huh. Where have all the good times gone, as Van Halen would say.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

batterup on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

One of the big reasons for the existence of “zero tolerance” policies is so school officials don’t have to risk being bullied themselves. Because you know every time a bully gets his clock cleaned, his neanderthal parents will be down there in a heartbeat demanding “justice.” If the principal has the good sense to see the situation for what it is and let the victim off the hook for defending himself, he obviously makes the bully the sole bad guy. Then he has to look forward to being threatened with lawsuits, etc. by the little darling’s parents.

CurtZHP on March 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Rome is burning.

Nero is fiddling.

0bama is filling out brackets

Now (“Jackie”<–a name she gave herself) is advocating making a federal crime of school fights.

MNHawk on March 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

When I was in 5th grade I got jumped coming home from school.
The kid was my size but I was still a ‘wimpy’ little girl-as opposed to the wicked spitfire that I am now-and the kid had spurs on his boots.
I had two black-eyes and then some when he ‘finished’.
I had gotten pushed, threatened before-but the school always excused the other kids by say that since I was in Special Ed I probably did something to ‘deserve’ it.
The next day was our class field trip and before I left my mother was on the phone very calmly ‘explaining’ to the principal that I was going to point out who beat me up-he was a 4th grade-and if she didn’t take appropriate action…my parents would.
He never bothered me again

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM

The girls were the WORST too.
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Girls are absolutely the worst.

With boys if you stand up for yourself and hold your ground, it can be over.

If a mean girl makes you a target, IT IS NEVER OVER. She will hound you from kindergarten until graduation.

Lily on March 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat
Another freakin left-coast mental midget.

What the hell is wrong with CA voters? They must truly revere stupidity.

CantCureStupid on March 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

PLEASE… The DIMocrats have always had about a 10 point lead in registration, and after the 1960 census and subsequent reapportionment (GERRYMANDER) the DIMocrats have ALWAYS had control of the state Assembly and Senate. The fix is in every day in Sacramento, and until the state implodes financially (more than it does now) it is not going to change.

Don’t blame me. I’m doing my best shoveling sand against the tide.

Khun Joe on March 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I know you! :)

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I’m like me, but the same.

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that little detail. Hey Cindy.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Yeah, that was me. I actually saw you mentioning sporks last night and was cracking up.

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Girls are absolutely the worst.

With boys if you stand up for yourself and hold your ground, it can be over.

Lily on March 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM

At my 20th high school reunion in ’08 my husband noticed that there were a few women that I looked through.
I remember how they treated me.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM

milwife88 on March 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

That might work if the “victim” is stronger than the bully, as he was in the video. Most school bullies pick on smaller or weaker victims, who may need to be defended by adults, such as teachers or parents, or perhaps stronger friends.

Still, there’s no reason to make bullying of “disabled” victims in public schools a federal offense. Publics schools are mostly funded by municipal property taxes, and sometimes subsidized by state governments. If there are criminal charges or civil lawsuits against school bullies (or their parents or guardians), these can be resolved much more quickly in local or state courts under state laws than in federal court.

In addition, if federal jurisdiction only applies to bullying of “disabled” victims, there would be constant haggling between lawyers over whether a bullying victim is “disabled” and whether the case belongs in state or federal court, which would probably delay justice against the bullies.

Steve Z on March 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM

The world is on fire, and much of it at war, and these nanny state nitwits want to make school yard bullies federal criminals.

Morons. They’re all morons. And then they complain that only 15% turn out to vote in any given election.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM

WTH?

Let me guess, the DoE is going to create a special section JUST to take is these reports. And people wonder WHY our school children are so far behind! School apperently can’t make a move without the gov’t.

TturnP on March 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Dem Rep wants to make bullying a federal offense

But not murder, rape or molesting little kids.

Rather odd…the Feds usually don’t want to lock anybody up unless they’re convinced that the convict was ripping $ off of them somehow, or threatening their political power.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I say we send that Casey kid to all of the schools to cody slam the bullies, lol.

Seriously though, Democrats grab a hold of every fad they can and try to pass a law to “show they care”. It is just asinine.

If there were a lot of stories talking about some guy who died from cooking and eating roadkill, the Dems would rush to write a law spending federal money cleaning all roads every 6 hours to prevent anyone from eating roadkill. When the only man stupid enough to do it would already be dead.

All the Dems do is play politics.

jeffn21 on March 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Yes, Sporks and Rancid used in place of the verboten words that makes the HA filter puke and sends Allah into a tizzy.

The good ol’ days when men were men and liberals were something else.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The wussification of America, brought to you by the idiot Dems.

Hi, LibTired, errr, the Mega Independent, errr, well, good to see you back, anyway.

kingsjester on March 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

End the monopoly! Let the parents choose where to send their kids with 90% vouchers!

barnone on March 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Makes perfect sense, because government does everything so well … and it’s not like there’s anything more important to deal with.

BD57 on March 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Speier is, alas, my representative…

JEM on March 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Moammar Qaddafi is in a lot of trouble. That is, once sleazy Eric Holder and Zero get through shootin’ hoops and a few dozen more rounds of golf. Gotta have priorities, people. Relaxin’ is a priority.

viking01 on March 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Dem Rep wants to make bullying a federal offense

Wouldn’t Pelosi have to be jailed?

landlines on March 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Hard pivot on bullying, laser-like focus on bullying, good grief!

Have Democrats always been this lame?

It is getting harder & harder to recall them any other way.

roy_batty on March 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Now we see the lunacy inherent in the system…

teacherman on March 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

CurtZHP on March 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM

THIS. Litigation has turned us into wusses.
It has cost us a lot of money in ALL arenas.
Lawyers are the pieces of feces they’ve always been.
Creating jobs for themselves out of thin air.
BTW-I moved around a lot as a kid & experienced lots of crap.
8th grade in S. IN-the mean girls were really effing mean. They’d chase me home all the time & I had to run & hide in the corn fields before they’d leave me alone.
Near the end of the school year I’d had enough.
They approached me in the hallway & one of the girls was being egged on by the leader-Jenny.
This girl got right up in my face & I lost it.
I grabbed her by the ears & slammed her head repeatedly into the lockers. The other 4 girls stood in shocked silnce.
My assailant fell to the floor & I spit on her & walked away.
Love that memory.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

The good ol’ days when men were men and liberals were something else.

Bishop on March 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Are we allowed to talk about the good old days?

The wussification of America, brought to you by the idiot Dems.

kingsjester on March 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

And you, kingy.

The Mega Independent on March 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

batterup on March 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

One, challenging someone to fight is a crime.
Two, mutual combat is not.
Three, you have the right to defend yourself.

I’d like to see a kid attack a teacher/principle and when they defend themselves they get suspended, too. And suspend them if they are caught with Midol, too.

Blake on March 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Even though a bully is a felony in training, making it a federal case won’t change much.

TimBuk3 on March 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Unless it’s union related

Hening on March 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM

The bullies are making bullying illegal.
How ironic.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The GOP needs to very careful on this topic, as should be obvious from the popularity here of the Australian bullying video. People would like to see bullying in schools ended. We need to suggest conservative alternatives to reduce bullying. I’m not sure exactly what they are, but conservatives need to think this through, pronto!

thuja on March 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Heh. No wonder you caught a cowboy…

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

The penalty for this type of assault should be rescind his chance for life in public schools. Let the mother who wants to think HER CHILD IS NORMAL pay for his education.

TomLawler on March 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

LOL!

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

As Ed said, even without legislation, the Department of Education is moving forward with this frightening intrusion:

Education Department officials are threatening school principals with lawsuits if they fail to monitor and curb students’ lunchtime chat and evening Facebook time for expressing ideas and words that are deemed by Washington special-interest groups to be harassment of some students.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/16/fed-instructs-teachers-to-facebook-creep-students/#ixzz1GsH42txR

Before long, children will have special interest group speech codes stalking them 24/7, parents will be required to attend “diversity/multi-culturalism training” classes when their children fail to conform, and children will be used to spy on their parents. It is a profoundly pernicious measure.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM

How the hell are prinicipals supposed to monitor and curb evening Facebook time?

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Even here in rural ND we hear whisperings of this stuff at teacher conferences.
The BS I hear in education makes me want to puke.
But these schools & State Ed departments are really only responding to the legality issues that surround this stuff.
Parents & communities are riding the schools’ & teachers’ a$$e$ for not raising their kids well enough.
The parents & community expect us to raise their effing kids for them.
I see that here in SW ND at my school.
There is a dearth of leadership all over America.
This has got to change & people in their communities have got to stop these parents & fellow citizens from sloughing off their personal responsibilities off onto the state.
My grandpa had a story ’bout a man who drank & wouldn’t work to take care of his wife & 5 kids. The woman did washing & mending to get by, but they were starving & existed on the charity of neighbors.
The men had had enough of this guy not taking care of his own & piled a bunch of switches on the guy’s porch one night.
That man went out the very next day & got a job.
Bcs he knew the men in the community we’re going to come & beat the living $hit out of him if he didn’t man up.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

See I didn’t understand this, either.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

When you outlaw “Neener! Neener!”, only outlaws will have “Neener! Neener!”.

This behavior does not grow in a vacuum, but the people who turn a blind eye to the heckling and bullying are the same ones who press criminal charges on kids who just let a couple of chickens loose in the school hallways.

NTXLass on March 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Well, that’s another set of problems with this approach, isn’t it. It imposes an unreasonable liability on principals.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Cartoon of kid bullying another kid.

Female voice from behind them says, “That’s not cool.”

Kids turn their heads and look up exclaiming, “U.S. Representative Jackie Speier!”

Rep. Jackie Speier flies down with other democrat reps in superhero cartoon style but in traditional business atire.

“You know Billy, bullying isn’t the answer. Just because your father doesn’t show you love or because you have feelings of inadequecy doesn’t mean you have to take out your aggression on others. You’d be surprised how much more enjoyable or rewarding it is to defend those who are weak or show compassion to others than you’d get out of bullying.”
Billy, “Gosh ma’am. I never thought of that. Now I know.”
Rep Speier, “And knowing is half the battle.”

shick on March 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

shick on March 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

*ACK*
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

LOL!
Now what about the kids who are just nothing but evil scum & just like to hurt people bcs they get off on it, having nothing to do with their upbringing?
Bcs I think we all know that no matter how great or bad a parent you are, the kid can still end up bad or good through their own choice.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Department of Education needs to be terminated. If it existed only to distribute federal funds, there might be some value, but with every fund comes a string attached, and it becomes de facto law maker, controlling the behaviour of recipients of ferderal bucks by the strings attached

No agency of the Federal government has any business even writing essays about bullying. If bullying is a criminal offense, it is a local criminal offense. It has no place as a federal offense. It is not a crime affecting the function of the federal govenerment

But who listens to us? Money is control, and control is power, and power is what the out of control beast in Washington uses to maintain itself. The more power, the less the rabble can interfere with the process, and the process must come from the top, not the base.

I am disgusted with the wusses in the Beltway, who transfer their fear of the rabble into endless projects to control and dampen their own fear.

They make these proposals not to help us, but to reassure themselves that the walls of the fort are inpenetrable

entagor on March 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I will say that kids these days are extremely stupid. But then that is an adolescent thing.
They just don’t ‘think’.
I tell my students to be careful bcs everything that is texted or FaceBooked can come back to haunt them.
Just like it used to be for those of us growing up in the Stone Age without those things.
If you said something bad behind someone’s back, they were sure to hear it eventually.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

entagor on March 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

The states have to start making the individual decision to tell the feds to eff off with their dirty whore money.
Every state in the union has been seduced by federal dollars.
Some are really proud of the fact that they get so many federal dollars for every dollar they pay into it.
It’s shameful.
Uncle Sam is every state’s Sugar Daddy.
Eventually, you gotta realize that Sugar Daddy doesn’t have your best interests in mind.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I happen to think it’s not the schools’ business to substitute for parents in raising children. But even if a community decides that it wants that kind of thing, still the federal gubmit needs to stay the hell out of it, and leave this to locally/state elected school boards.

As I said before, you have what has become a thankless job. Shame. But, heh, if you think it’s bad where you are, just imagine what it’s like in the big cities. I moved to the mountains of PA long enough ago to see that to get in DC the quality of education that’s equivalent to the public schools in this rural area would cost you ~$30K/yr or more for a private school in DC, or any eastern city for that matter. I imagine rural ND is comparable to here.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Every state in the union has been seduced by federal dollars.
It’s shameful.
Uncle Sam is every state’s Sugar Daddy.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Well of course. The Feds are the only ones with the printing press. All the states want in on the action.

JSGreg3 on March 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Department of Education needs to be terminated.

entagor on March 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

That would be a good start.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Sure, Make it a federal case. That’ll fix it.

Kinda like Being-In-This-Country-Illegally.

TimBuk3 on March 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I imagine rural ND is comparable to here.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

All the people who’ve been moving here from other states like CA, UT, TX, CA, NV have been saying how great ND schools are compared to what they left behind.
They say their kids are getting much better educations.
I fully believe that is mostly due to the fact that we do not have the ESL problem: English Second Language.
But a rural school here in ND pretty much went broke bcs the local dairy hired some Mexicans who couldn’t speak English, kids either, & the federal rules forced the school to hire an interpreter.
For 2 kids in a school that prolly had maybe 50 kids.
They’re closed down now.
If our schools stopped accepting federal money, & they can, they wouldn’t have to do all this BS that’s costing them way more $$ than they are raking in from the feds.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

We had some teen suicides in my small community, supposedly because of bullying. All the local drama queens are still having a field day, with PUBLIC meetings to let kids talk about their feelings, and so much high-minded discussion. Suicide is very sad, but there are things community and high-mindedness can’t fix. We have just seen how many of us were bullied, and did NOT commit suicide, the link is pretty tenuous.

Spier’s proposal seems to mean it’s federally OK to bully someone smaller, or physically disabled, or who stutters, or anybody else, as long as they don’t fit the bill criteria.

So we’d need training for ed. administrators, teachers, etc. on who is and isn’t OK to bully, the paperwork and filing requirements, precisely how disabled the victim has to be before it counts. Then, to be fair, we’d need to train bullies in who they can and can’t pick on. Have to start in kindergarten teaching kids the bully and victim roles, and the proper reporting requirements in both.

A new industry could arise in teaching bully victims how to qualify as disabled as defined in the bill.

Every bullying case could go to court, extending the misery for years, so maybe by the time the kids graduate, they’ll know who won. And of course, independent bully arbitrators will be needed.

Sure, this makes sense. Shows we are really addressing the problem.

jodetoad on March 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM

*ACK*
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Sorry about that. That wasn’t my intent.

LOL!

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Well from my christian perspective everyone is evil and each falls uniquely into deeper levels of it. You are right, good upbringing helps but it is no assurance. But it still greatly limits that possibility of lawlessness.

The words I chose for the Rep. weren’t meant to be to deep but I didn’t want to make her look like a complete fool either.

shick on March 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Prolly bullying initiatives by MO, BHO, Jackie Speier and others are being orchestrated by Center for American Progress or ilk. It’s essentially an attack on individual freedom, parental rights and traditional family values.

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Heh. Plenty of bully teachers out there (Sorry, Badger40, but that’s the reality)…START WITH THEM! Especially the ones who falsely label Gentle Giants “bully,” thereby signaling to all the kids that the Gentle Giant is fair game for whatever abuse–’cause that’s what bullies deserve. Gotta destroy the sheepdogs first, or else they might set the wrong example for the other bullied kids.

j/k – this is a BS Dem initiative.

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

The bullies are making bullying illegal.
How ironic.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

This.

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Also, I expect this is just the start of a long, much larger drive to expand the control of public schools over the popular ethic and popular culture… based on surveillance of children and, through them, their parents 24/7.

Allowing feds to assert jurisdiction here, allowing this power grab either by legislation or administrative rule-making will put us on the path to a very ugly place.

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.
Vladimir Lenin

petefrt on March 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM

That’s particularly dumb.

Oh, now with the hate speech for the speaking-impared. Sure, just pick on the ones who can’t say anything back.

TexasDan on March 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat, when pressed for a timeline to bring the bill out of committee, stated that due to questions about whether this is a federal responsibility, that the timeline for passage would be “a little slow”.

LevStrauss on March 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I am, and will always be, against bullying – but for the love of God, WHAT IS SHE THINKING?

Ryan Anthony on March 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM

This should be brought up on the House floor for a vote .. just before the election.

J_Crater on March 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Oh I understand.
However, from my experiences, it is administrators who do far more bullying in the workplace in public school than all teachers combined.
I have only worked at 3 schools in the 8yrs I’ve taught & I have had 2 superintendents who have threatened me & bullied me as well as a principal.
I know 1st hand what it’s like.
I go to work everyday & it pi$$e$ me off to no end to see these 2 worthless turds as my ‘bosses’ knowing what kind of people they are.
I seethe hatred for them.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM

QUESTION: If the federal government passes regulations against “bullying,” and if it forces states to abide by those regulations under threat of loss of federal funds…

…isn’t that “bullying”?????

CHALLENGE: Name three things the federal government does which are NOT “bullying” in any way!

landlines on March 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM

What the hell is wrong with CA voters? They must truly revere stupidity.

Give us a break. There are a lot more of them than us, and lots coming in from Mexico by the day.

Maybe if the state collapses financially, all the parasites leave and the remaining few elect a new legislature things will turn around. Until then, don’t expect anything but halfwitted Liberal loons out of California.

hachiban on March 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Idiocy! Yeah, just what we need.. we can’t spank little Johny for punching that kid at school so we’ll just make him a felon!
Heck, halve of the government would suddenly become felons over night if they passed that law!

JellyToast on March 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Heck, half of the government would suddenly become felons over night if they passed that law!

JellyToast on March 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM
And all the Union Thugs. See that one did get booked in Michigan for having a sharp object,assault in an officer.

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Get an R to amend with language extending anti-bullying to leeches (excuse me, union thugs members).

fyzycyst on March 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM