Bombs away: UN airstrikes could begin tonight as Qaddafi’s troops near Benghazi; Update: UN approves no-fly zone

posted at 4:15 pm on March 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

His air force is already bombing the outskirts of the city, but not for much longer. The Security Council’s expected to vote at 6 p.m. ET and the French are telling people that airstrikes against Libyan air defenses — and maybe more — could begin immediately thereafter. At the same time, Qaddafi just delivered another insane stemwinder against the rebels on Libyan radio warning people in Benghazi that the army will be rolling into town tonight and that, if they don’t surrender, they’ll receive “no mercy.” Which means, unless someone blinks in the next few hours, that city will be a bona fide international war zone by the time America goes to bed tonight.

This is turning out to be some week.

Ibrahim Dabbashi, the deputy Libyan UN ambassador, warned that, “in the coming hours we will see a real genocide if the international community does not act quickly.”

Dabbashi, who defected early on from the Gaddafi regime, said “about five” Arab states were ready to help police the no-fly zone if it was adopted

Al Jazeera’s Bays in Tobruk said that people in the city said they were confident of winning against Gaddafi, but still needed international help.

“I can tell you that when you speak to the people here, they say they’re winning, they say they’re beating back Gaddafi. Then you ask them the question should the international community do more, and they say ‘Yes, we’re all going to die if they don’t help’. So very contradictory answers to those questions,” Bays reported on Thursday.

The regime’s threatening to retaliate by attacking air and sea traffic in the Mediterranean, which is unlikely in the near term with NATO overhead but more likely if Qaddafi brokers a deal to stay in power and inevitably returns to his old terrorist-y ways. (He’s worried enough about imminent airstrikes to have opted for radio over video today.) Meanwhile, I’m intrigued by those five Arab states who are allegedly ready to help “police” the NFZ. What does that mean, exactly? McClatchy reported earlier that only two were on board so momentum is building across the region to help make this happen, but in practical terms it means — what? Certainly use of local air bases; possibly also … Arab air forces joining NATO patrols?

As for which five states are involved, Tunisia and Egypt are obvious candidates since they’re adjacent, have revolutionary fever themselves, and want to maintain good relations with the west in the near term to keep the foreign aid flowing while they reorganize. The obvious risk is that if Qaddafi somehow remains in charge, then they have to live with him and wonder if he’s plotting revenge. That’s not a big concern for Egypt, which could crush him if need be, but little Tunisia may think twice. Assuming they’re both in, though, then who are the other three states? Given the current circumstances in the region, would the Saudis dare lend logistical support to dislodging an Arab dictator — even one they despise? Stay tuned.

Exit question: How’d the NATO powers get China and Russia to go along with a no-fly zone on the Security Council? Exit answer: In a way, they didn’t.

Update: According to one report, four of the five Arab countries involved are the UAE, Qatar, Jordan, and … Saudi Arabia. No word on the fifth. I guess Tunisia and Egypt don’t want to make the mad dog mad.

Update: The vote’s over at the Security Council. 10-0, with Russia and China abstaining. Qaddafi’s response, via Al Jazeera’s live blog:

10:41pm Gaddafi did an interview with RTP, a Portuguese television station, this evening. In it, he said:

“The Security Council has not got the right to interfere in the internal affairs of any state. It would be a flagrant colonisation, without any justification. A serious and grave [inaudible]. This is craziness, madness, arrogance. If the world gets crazy with us, we will get crazy too…”

Asked what he means by ‘get crazy’, Gaddafi said:

“We will respond. We will make their lives hell, because they are making our lives hell. They will never have peace.”

It sounds like British and French war planes will be the first ones in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys Warriors

pseudonominus on March 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Sarkozy must be all oui oui’d up.

Rambotito on March 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I see what you did there.

Clever.

:-)

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

First off all, you are addressing one who served in the USAF. I know a little something about it, although I’m no expert. I know that no operation is without risks to our men and that we shouldn’t be valuing their lives so cheaply as to put them in to a fight that we have no interest in.

But you tell me, why the he11 should we fight for Libya’s rebels? What is our interest?

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

We have no compelling interest in the outcome in Libya. Our soldiers, sailors and airmen deserve better than to put in the middle of civil war that doesn’t protect us or our interests.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Dude, relax. You won’t be asked to participate. Sit back and watch the show.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Your definition of American interests doesn’t seem to include murdered American citizens.

Mine does.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

How soon will the Mediterranean Sea be closed down?

Waiting for a wild card to enter…Iran or Venezuela…

Invasion of Libya from Egypt, Sudan…there is oil in them thar Libyan hills!

albill on March 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

If you’re referring to Lockerbie, you’re 30 years too late. No amount of bombing is going to bring those people back so no, we have no national interest on that score. And Daffy is not about to try anything like that again. But heck according to your logic of fighting everyone who ever did us wrong, let’s bomb the Saudis as well, right?

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Right, because it’s not your sweet azz that is being put on the line to do the job.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM

How soon will the Mediterranean Sea be closed down?

Waiting for a wild card to enter…Iran or Venezuela…

Invasion of Libya from Egypt, Sudan…there is oil in them thar Libyan hills!

albill on March 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

That all depends on when the battleships Scharnhorst and the Gneisenau put to sea from their secret underground Libyan bases and begin commerce raiding throughout the Mediterranean. /

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

And if I was referring to 911 the day after it happened no amount of bombing would bring those people back either.
So no national interest there either?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

First off all, you are addressing one who served in the USAF.

So, you’re addressing a retired Army pilot. Are we comparing careers for any reason in particular?.

I know a little something about it, although I’m no expert.

It actually sounds like you know very little about it. Question, what would a fighter conducting NFZ operations do if attacked by another fighter? It’s not ADA. Do they run from that? Okay, I know you don’t know so I’ll answer for you. They would again, use any and all kinetic means within the ROE to compel belligerent forces to abide by the restrictions of the NFZ. A NFZ is a threat to completely engage in warfare.

I honestly don’t believe there’s a single thing you would commit our forces for. I’m on the fence. If intelligence indicates that the rebel forces are more fundamentalist than pro-democracy, I say stay out. If there’s an even chance that we’d get a more Western thinking society out of it, it would be worth the effort.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

See comment above. No charge.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Nice try, but you can’t argue with just one sentence and ignore the one right freaking next to it in my explanation. The perps of 9/11 were still a threat to commit more attacks.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM

It was my “azz” for 34 years. How long do you expect me to do it.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I love it when people who know absolutely nothing about the military preach what’s good to or not to do with it.
hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Yeah, the civilian sheep is only good at paying for the army, not to have opinions about it.

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

The perps of 9/11 were still a threat to commit more attacks.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM

So is Daffy and killing him sends a definitive message about the wisdom of terrorism.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I didn’t say you shouldn’t have an opinion. Just have an informed one. Not like Brutus’s.

PS, When I was Army, I paid too.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Of course there are reasons I would commit troops. Your stupid remark shows that you know nothing about me but does expose your own warped mentality.

You say that if there were favorable intel about the rebels you would be in favor. Except you put the lie to that because you have no freaking clue who the rebels are. You have no clue about whether they are just Daffy wannabees who see their own chance to replace him. But WTF, you want to go ahead with an NFZ anyway.

And one more thing, regarding your kinetic BS. The fact is that a military operation of that scale is highly likely to cost lives. I say that a city of Libyans is not worth the life of one of our aviators. I would say that even if your worthless azz were in the cockpit, which it isn’t.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Opps, that previous post a reply to:

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

And Rookie, why don’t you drop the BS and just come back as Spathi. I freaking hate sock-puppets.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

U.N. just starting vote according to Fox.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Opps, that previous post a reply to:

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Don’t worry I too have a warped mentality, just a different one than Hawkdrive.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Well played :-)

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Lovely. Our military members attacking one another, rather than the problem at hand. *sigh*

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Of course there are reasons I would commit troops

Such as?

Compared to your sophomoric isolationist Ron Paul drivel, my comment was State Department level discussion.

Of course.

That’s not a lie Einstein, that would be my opinion as to when I would consider it worthy. A lie would be something along the lines of, “I know they’re Pro-West.” Or did I miss what you said I was lying about?

Well, I still have associations with people who do know but I would need more info before I’d commit forces. But, “you” carried this discussion past scope of the narrow point I was commenting on and that was you don’t know crap about the prosecution of a NFZ. You seemed to think it only involved bombing ADA.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Should I accuse you of lying because you don’t know for sure how much my “azz” is worth?

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Don’t worry I too have a warped mentality, just a different one than Hawkdrive.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I take that as a compliment.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

So no national interest there either?
– Sharrukin

Touche!

It was my “azz” for 34 years. How long do you expect me to do it. – Hawkdriver

And we appreciate your service :-)

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I take that as a compliment.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Certainly meant that way!

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Well, it is kind of an emotional issue and things are staying within mostly civil bounds. Thank heavens Grow Fins is gone.
Fox is now reporting that rebels in Benghazi have been called to their battle stations and told to prepare to fight. Looks like timing is going to be critical.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Being more stupid than usual does not help you.

I’m not a commie/troll like Spathi, and your take on the world politics and your smugness being a pilot for 3x years just make me write down some comments.

What you paid for the Army when in the Army, those money came from civilians as well. For the record, I’m not American, and I’m quite sick of the likes of you suddenly shunning some dictators – in 40 years, Duffy Duck was a legitimate target, but as long as he was killing non muslims he was OK. You had almost as much years to take him down in your carrier.

While not taking down Iran leaders first, then NK ones, then Saudis, then the ones in Sudan – and then the crazy/sitting duck?

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Nothing like a Twitter-sourced article…call me sceptical… we’ll see if anything happens tonight…

mjbrooks3 on March 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM

U.S. READYING PLANS TO PARTICIPATE IN NO-FLY ZONE.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM

They’re voting right now!

C’mon UN, do the right thing for a change!

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

And we appreciate your service :-)

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

And yours, Zoomie! And really, all of our Hot AIr Active and Retired. Even you MJBrutowski.

I am off to buy Mrs. Hawk a truck. Everyone have a nice evening. And in all seriousness, pray it doesn’t come to a protracted presence if anything is done now at all. (I honestly think it’s too late) And pray for the aircrews if they do go.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Russia and China still have oil needs and will thus undoubtedly abstain (trying to retain friendship with Q) which is tantamount to yes vote in this case. Then, within moments – The Big E – (that is the USS Enterprise for those of you in Rio Linda) will release its 85 F18′s and all in a days work the so called Libyan Army will be no more. Done! ODildo didn’t even have to make a decision YET he will of course take full credit once the Big E gets into the action. ODildo is a WUSS and to our great shame as a country.

highninside on March 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM

YOU WANNA A PIECE OF ME?! BRING IT!

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

relax…

mjbrooks3 on March 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

U.S. READYING PLANS TO PARTICIPATE IN NO-FLY ZONE.
– amerpundit

Now they’re saying it could take a few days … too little too late :-(

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I guess the Saudi Crown Prince hates attempts on his life even more than he hates r3volution. Go figure.

RINO in Name Only on March 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Can’t pass this up. I’m not smug. I’ve just see it unfold about a dozen times before. Or do you think that anyone that knows what they’re talking about is smug.

Ug, Me pay back Army/military peoples with me money in taxes. Me pay big taxes. Pay taxes for Spathi welfare toos.

Funny how your English comes and goes.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Then, within moments – The Big E … will release its 85 F18′s and all in a days work the so called Libyan Army will be no more. Done!

85 F-18′s over Libya … what a beautiful scene that would be … and long overdue.

How ’bout some Strike Eagles and Warhogs? Can’t let the Navy have ALL the fun!

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM

That doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it is a communication problem. Would you mind telling us your nationality? It has no bearing on the arguments, but perhaps on the translation.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Oooooops! Warthogs ^

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Your cr@p about my being an isolationist is risible. I was in favor of Afghanistan and Iraq, for example. But heck, in your mind, anyone who is opposed to any form a military adventurism on whatever pretense is a Ron Paul ditto-head.

Oh goodie. You know someone who knows something but hasn’t told you anything. Well we’re all impressed. The fact is that you know jack squat about who the rebels are and what they want. But you are all in favor of a NFZ anyway. So when you said you would be in favor only if we had favorable intel on the rebels you were lying.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I reckon you’re right, but you never know. If I were pulling the strings, the rebs would already have sufficient stores of anti-tank and anti-aircraft munitions to neutralize Qaddafi’s armor and air, and they’d have fallen back in order to draw his assets into the kill zone. Classic rope-a-dope, with the added bonus of all our dithering actually being deliberate in order to embolden Qaddafi. But that’s just me.

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Was I lying also when I said that if we had evidence they were bad guys we shouldn’t do anything? Do you get all amped up and then only read part of the comment?

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM

38 taliban killed by Predator drone in Pakistan!

Thank you AF and CIA, world is now a better place.

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

85 F-18′s over Libya …

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Or one Charlie F-1Sheen

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

UN airstrikes

I’m sorry… since when does the UN have an air force?

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM

YOU WANNA A PIECE OF ME?! BRING IT!

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Heh. Not right now, maybe after supper,..no wait, the BB game is on and I have to finish up my taxes. Plus, I’ll have a full stomach and that isn’t conducive to hostility.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I hope we reuse the name “Operation Infinite Justice”.

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM

US VOTES FOR RESOLUTION.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Vote being counted right now

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Try reading more slowly:

1. You said that you were for an NFZ.
2. You said you would only be for an NFZ if you knew the rebels were pro-Democracy.
3. You don’t know that the rebels are pro-Democracy.

Therefore you are a liar. QED

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM

RESOLUTION PASSES.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM

10 votes in favor
0 against
5 abstain

offroadaz on March 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM

10 yes
0 no
5 present

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM

hawk,

That truck ain’t gonna buy itself. Don’t keep a lady waitin’!

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Oil? But there are better ways to increase the supply.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM

No fly resolution passes.
10 approve
0 against
5 abstain.

Artillery and explosions occuring in Benghazi at present. via Fox.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Ok, all you conservative folks out there saying you were against it, it’s now time to support the military, pray for the pilots and encourage them, support their mission, we can’t be like those lefties who say “We support the troops but not the mission”.

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Is it just no-fly , or does it come with extras ? Like anti tank runs?

the_nile on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I hope an F-18 drops a JDAM on that stupid statue of a fist grabbing an American jet.

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

@Tony737

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Is it just no-fly , or does it come with extras ? Like anti tank runs?

the_nile on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

“All Necessary Measures”.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Of course! I’m not the praying type, but I fervently hope that they accomplish their mission and suffer no losses. I don’t approve of the mission, but if we’re committed to it then I say, Gitter Done!

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

CNN: K’daffy already says he’ll now ‘change tactics’.

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Will there be more meetings , or are the planes in the air now?

the_nile on March 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Fair enough. You paid a lot of welfare to a lot of creeps, I bet you could make better use of it

Funny how your English comes and goes.

Well, I’m not perfect. I’m Romanian. The fact that you’re thinking I’m mimicking bad English… no comment.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The above I think answers your question. My argument is:

I watch Fox, British newspapers, live feeds, even Reuters photos and worse, CNN reports.. I could not find who the “rebels” really are.

Who are they? Do they want real democracy (well… whatever that means)? Did they denounced the islam tenets of sharia? Do they want inclusion of women and non-muslims (if any left) in the every aspect of political and social life? Are they commies? muslim fundamentalists? Normal people?

I could not stand the “war for oil” meme, as I know how many billions were spent on Iraq and Afghan reconstruction, But this Libya interventionism, really smells bad.

Is past midnight here… so gotta go. I’m really eager to see UN spring into action.

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Will there be more meetings , or are the planes in the air now?

the_nile on March 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Bombing expected to begin within hours.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Which military are we supposed to be supporting and praying for? I’m not quite sure who’s doing the fighting. – Meat

Sounds like it’s gonna be French, UK, USA … all Western, but you have a good point, who’s gonna do the job?

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I don’t know who the rebels are either and I certainly won’t be praying for their victory. I may pray that they see the Light.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM

@Tony737

Someone earlier said just French and British. I’m sure the US will be financially involved.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Sorry for the messed up post. The contents stay, though.

Rookie on March 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I’ll post the link again here. Basically, we’re the only ones who can.

Jed Babbin

Heck, if it were the French or Saudis or whatever who were going to put themselves in danger, I wouldn’t care.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Has the US said they will be a part of it?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Has the US said they will be a part of it?

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Congressional members have been notified that the U.S. is planning to participate in the no-fly zone.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:47 PM

hawk,

That truck ain’t gonna buy itself. Don’t keep a lady waitin’!

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM

She’s on the IPAD looking at the BB for an 07 Focus. The salesmen need to beware of Mrs Hawk.

Try reading more slowly:

1. You said that you were for an NFZ.

Take your own advise, no…I…didn’t.

I did.

3. You don’t know that the rebels are pro-Democracy.

Not with any certainty.

Therefore you are a liar. QED

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Not sure I follow your logic there Skippy, but whatever. I shall now declare that you, with no reasonable evidence, are a purchaser of shrubbery.

Off for real now. Wish us luck.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:47 PM

@MJBrutus

If the US is going to be the main fighting force, that’s just messed up. The Euros and Arabs need to start taking care of their own problems for once.

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

The libyans muSt be a pathetic force if the French are willing to dust off their fighters

that being said I hope that every last rebel is dead before a bomb drops and that they then destroy all the military and kill kadaffy

oh in a perfect world

Sonosam on March 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

If Daffy cleanses Benghazi before the NFZ can take effect,
Scooter is going to reap a PR nightmare. Krauthammer just tore him a new one on worshipping process over policy.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Precisely. Let’s not try to hold our breath until that happens :-)

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Read the whole thread again. (Slowly) We’re basically saying the same thing. Except of course where you were schooled about a NFZ.

hawkdriver on March 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Germany, which abstained from the vote, won’t commit forces to the endeavor.

WTF is wrong with Germany?

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Didn’t you read the headline. This is a UN operation… presumably using the UN Army and the UN Air Force.

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Germany, which abstained from the vote, won’t commit forces to the endeavor.

WTF is wrong with Germany?

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Uh… an unwillingness to send their troops around the world, enforcing German will.

One would think that’s exactly how we would want Germany to behave.

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

WTF is wrong with Germany?

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Merkel is on real shaky ground with her voters. Her party got slammed in the recent elections losing Hamburg due to public anger over the German funded bailouts of Greece, Portugal, and Ireland.

I suspect she just doesn’t want to risk anything.

sharrukin on March 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

They are in the corner in time-out after the poll results on the Jewish question about exterminating the Palestinians.

Christien on March 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Germany, which abstained from the vote, won’t commit forces to the endeavor.

WTF is wrong with Germany?

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Maybe they’re trying to save money?

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

One would think that’s exactly how we would want Germany to behave.

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

But I’m not just talking about military action. You can say you don’t want to participate in the action itself and yet support the resolution authorizing others to do so.

And besides, Germany has a history of being a bit too cuddly with Libya. Friendlier with the Islamic socialist dictator than most other western nations.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Is it in the form of a strongly worded letter?

sandee on March 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM

@JohnGalt23

Oh… yeah…

Um, we’ll see what happens…

*stomach churning

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Wonder how the mercenaries will hold up under this? I’m guessing very poorly.

forest on March 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Sounds like our coalition is cocked and locked. Talking Cruise missles, Predators, etc. for immediate use. I really really, want to see some Warthog tank action, when the time comes.

a capella on March 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Exibit A why American Exceptionalism is a noble concept…
watch the UN botch this…
Leadership is unique!

mjbrooks3 on March 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Maybe they’re trying to save money?

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Then one would think they wouldn’t be shutting down energy sources needlessly.

And besides, you can still vote for the resolution while not sending planes. Not every member of the 10-nation approval body will send forces.

It doesn’t cost any more to vote “yes” than it does to vote “present”.

amerpundit on March 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Euros will be leading …

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

FOX: Euros will be leading …

Tony737 on March 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

The new world order is 1911 all over again…

mjbrooks3 on March 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM