Hillary: Yeah, I’m going to pass on a second term as Secretary of State

posted at 5:55 pm on March 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Wouldn’t you if you were her? What could she possibly accomplish in a second term if she stayed? The crucible for U.S. diplomacy over the next few years will, as usual, be the Middle East, yet American influence there has never been lower. Iran will build its bomb come what may. The Saudis and their Sunni clients will crush any opposition going forward, having learned from Mubarak’s demise and Qaddafi’s survival that friendly relations with Washington is momentarily more of a liability than an asset. Obama’s dealings with Israel have been frosty practically since day one and are likely to stay that way, so there’s no peace deal with the Palestinians in the offing anytime soon. Which means State’s agenda in the region circa 2013 will be … what? Shepherding Egypt towards liberalization? That’s a dubious possibility to begin with, but even if there’s a chance of making it happen, Hillary Clinton is almost uniquely poorly positioned to oversee it.

So, like I say, why stick around? They can make any time-serving functionary SoS to go sit in dreary six-party meetings with North Korea or get jerked around by Iran in discussions about nuclear “energy.” Frankly, she’s a sport for sticking it out as long as she has. What a horribly useless job it’s become.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In the 2008 elections, a bunch of dumbass voters decided anybody would be better than Clinton. Most of those same brilliant strategists will be voting again in 2012. With whatever is left of their smoldering brain.

Kenosha Kid on March 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM

The woman has been “rode hard and put away wet,” as the saying goes.

onlineanalyst on March 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

The woman has been “rode hard and put away wet,” as the saying goes.

onlineanalyst on March 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Lol.

OmahaConservative on March 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I don’t think she has been rode hard in a very long time.
She looks awful, though.
I almost hopes she runs; the drama would be priceless and in my view, no one could do a worse job than Obama.

LASue on March 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Mason on March 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM

That would make a really good made for TV movie!

I shudder at how the possibility that this could land at SCOTUS for eligibility, would tear this country apart because the main stream press will have to cover their butts because they did NOT do their job of vetting back in 07 and 08.

karenhasfreedom on March 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Can someone please advise her on hair and style. She’s supposed to represent the U.S. for crying out loud.

She looks like a wet dishcloth.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Is it just me or is Bill Clinton’s wife looking sorta like a low rent version of Amy Poehler these days?

Maybe she could have a nice job working in a municipal parks department?

Scribbler on March 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Obama should make the same announcement.

Nostradamus on March 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM

SCOTUS here she comes. Backroom deal with Obummer – don’t primary me, and I’ll nominate you. Inevitable.

KS Rex on March 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Looking a little haggard.

Kissmygrits on March 16, 2011 at 9:22 PM

It pretty much shows what an absolute CLOWN she really is for taking the Secy/State position in the first place.

alwyr on March 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Secretary of Statin’ is hard.

mrt721 on March 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM

gary started this fight. I am willing to call a truce if he is. But he’d better quit calling Knucklehead, alt and DS names. gary can be a real jerk.

OmahaConservative on March 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I’m not the one to tell folks what to do I just think it best if we try to get along when we’re on the same side.

That said I too get tired of the relentless attacks on Sarah especially considering she is the only one in the fight the others are just laying low hoping no-one throws a punch at them and that the media will not tar and feather them like they have Sarah.

They are fools and cowards.

Up to you guys I don’t know the history and don’t care!

dhunter on March 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Hillary might as well been a cardboard cutout these last 2+ years. She accomplished nothing or less in her current term as Secretary of State. Good Riddance. In fact, don’t wait till 2012. Leave now. Please.

16MPG on March 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM

As least she did little damage while there (though I’m seriously wondering if she could have done worse in the White House than the current Commissar in Chief?), and got in some more of the Liberal political elite lifestyle on the taxpayer’s dime…wonder if that’s enough for her for one lifetime?

Nah.

Probably.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM

…Wonder if they’d be stupid enough in NY to put her back in the Senate should she run?

Probably.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Judging by the way she suddenly let her appearance go sometime last year, I’d say she has decided not to run for anything ever again.

slickwillie2001 on March 17, 2011 at 12:36 AM

As a female, I can only tell you one thing…she is looking just awful..think it is the stress of the job, dipping into the sauce a bit too much..etc. but..if she gets a face lift after she exits as SOS..she is running…

Xango Annie on March 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Mason on March 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Obama may not run again simply because he is in over his head. What he likes about the job is the perqs, and the wealthy lifestyle, and he can have that through book deals and speeches to far left groups. He can vacation 24/7/365, golf all he wants, and not have to deal with all those pesky details.

Adjoran on March 17, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Hillary isn’t going to stick around for a second term.

Uh, yeah, most cabinet people do in fact leave after 1 term.
This isn’t really news.

B Man on March 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Reminds me of a headline in the old “National Lampoon” magazine around 1974, regarding Nixon:
“Rat Deserts Sinking Shit”

tpitman on March 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM

I guess the whole ‘smart power’ thing was a dumb idea.

zoyclem on March 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Since I am no fan, I hate to give her advice that might actually help her, but actually, getting out sooner rather than later would better preserve whatever future options she might want to keep open. The longer she stays, the more her reputation, such as it is, gets battered; When she’s out, it can begin to heal. And brother, it needs all the time to heal it can get.

Dirty Creature on March 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I would love to see PIAPS run again in ’12. That will keep the Socialists busy in their own primaries and keep them the he// out of ours.

james23 on March 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

PIAPS

I don’t feel no ways tahr-red

james23 on March 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM

As SoS, Clinton was undercut by the Obama administration at nearly every turn. She ended up becoming, essentially, the “first lady” of diplomacy–mouthing platitudes that were ignored by everyone while the White House had their own envoys to regions of interest.

otoh, knifing a Clinton is politically highly risky. I cannot help but think that payback will be a b*tch!

iconoclast on March 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I think the Clintons are done until Chelsea decides to run. Otherwise the Clintons will just sit back and go down their list of people to “payback” and go to work. Billy Jeff has been doing that off and on since the One got elected and ratcheted it up with that speech about drilling.
But Hil can never distance herself from this administration ffor a general election, too much film.

TQM38a on March 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I feel almost dirty for saying this… but having president Obama around has made my view of Mrs. Clinton… more positive (shudder).
Is there any doubt that as president her response on the Middle East stuff would have been much more direct, forceful, and dare I say… confident?
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I am going to go take a shower and wash off this distasteful comment.

therambler on March 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Hillary is beginning to look like my 8th grade geography teacher.

gonnjos on March 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

The Chicago thug machine played a charismatic race card who is totally incompetent and won. Hillary lost and is now reduced to running errands for the Daly machine and it shows.

volsense on March 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Looks like Hillary! may be back.

GarandFan on March 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I lost what little respect I had for her because she is an enabler, but working for O hasn’t been good to her. She hasn’t aged well and she looks awful. That hair style has got to go.

Beaglemom on March 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM

God Bless Hillary, thank you for all you have done and tried to do to look out for the US.

Everyone in the world knows it shouldve been HRC in 08 and it should be HRC in 12.

Enjoy your time off and I look forward to the book so we can all see just how hamstrung SoS was under President Present.

Imagine working for a guy who will not make a decision as the world is burning.

I hope you decide to run in ’16, if you do millions of us will be there to fund and support you!

ginaswo on March 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM

ginaswo on March 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Whoa. This comment may be a bit strong. If HRC runs there will be millions of us there to fund her opponent and support her opponent.
I guess HotAir is just letting anyone comment these days.

therambler on March 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Gather the Flying Monkeys!

mojo on March 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

All the disclaiming,Slick speaking out on what ought be done,
The HILDABEAST
will RUN!
You Betcha.

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

To everyone wishing that Hillary were in the White House instead of BHO:

You don’t wish that. You really don’t. The master of triangulation, of dodging the scandal, of pinning the blame on anybody else. You want Billary back in the White House? No, as horrible as these four years will have turned out to be, the fact is that Obama’s incompetence drove the 2010 “shellacking”. Hillary would have done almost as much damage to the nation, but with a far better understanding of political forces, and how to control them. Do you think we’d be reading a daily column of President Cankle’s amateurisms? I didn’t think so.

Let’s just pray that this hard, painful four years is enough of a lesson to wake up the political middle in America from believing what is dished up on the evening news. There is a silver lining to the first Socialist POTUS, and it should be making him the LAST Socialist POTUS.

Beware the Hildebeast.

Freelancer on March 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM

She’s still an evil hag. Altho I will admit I hate her less slightly than BO.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM