Video: The bully body slam

posted at 5:33 pm on March 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Sportsgrid, how long does it take these days for a video to go viral, inspire Facebook tribute sites, and draw major media attention?

Twenty-four hours, my friends.

The school involved, Chifley College’s Dunheved Campus at St Marys North, has suspended both students and called police after footage of the fight, which took place on school grounds about 10.30am yesterday, was aired on a television station…

It is understood the Year 10 student is a victim of repeated bullying at Chifley College’s Dunheved Campus, a middle school in a disadvantaged part of western Sydney.

But police and bullying experts are concerned by the video’s publication on Facebook and the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the older boy’s retaliation against his attacker.

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

I believe the part about “repeated bullying.” Not only is there any obvious size difference between them, there’s an age difference too: The bully is just 12 and the bullied kid is … 16. (Really?) I’ve never seen a seventh-grader pick a fight with a high school junior, let alone one much bigger him, which means our bully here is either under severe delusions about his own alpha male-dom or the bullied kid is known far and wide as easy pickings. Or rather, was.

And no, the bully wasn’t injured. His suspension, according to TMZ, is for 21 days. The bullied kid’s suspension? Just four.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Besides, what I am arguing is no different that real life. If you get in a bar fight, and the police see you, they don’t give a shit $%^# who was attacking or who was retaliating.

Everyone there is going to jail.

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I have what would certainly be considered a dive bar. I have also been in the business (mostly bartending) for 20 years now. It’s safe to say I have seen enough bar fights that prompted police calls over this span to hold a knowledgeable opinion on the subject. What you claim in the above has never happened. In fact, more often than not, the agressor doesn’t even go to jail.

anuts on March 16, 2011 at 1:13 AM

“…aggressor…”

anuts on March 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Lesson – Don’t go for the hit if you can’t take it all the way through :-)

Even Better lesson – Don’t be a bully.

antisocial on March 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM

When the bullied kid took a punch without flinching, the bully should have known it would end ugly. Good for this kid to stand up fight back and walk away from the second kid trying to provoke a fight.

dthorny on March 16, 2011 at 1:33 AM

1. Bully should be expelled.
2. Bring charges against the bully (assault, battery, harassment, etc.).
3. Sue the school, demand record of child be expunged.
4. Mr. Dalgleish needs to sit down and shut up. Violence is the answer when you’re defending yourself, moron.

I can’t believe that there is any question as to what should happen.

Geministorm on March 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM

This just in:

Obowma pleads with the Aussie PM to outlaw bully retaliation. A new “allow a bully” law is in effect to allow groups of bullies to beat the snot out of this kid in fairness to the poor bullies and to press charges against the bullied child for extreme payback. Obowma calls this new bully fairness law “redistributing bullism”. According to Obowma, “Being a bully is not their fault, it is American exceptionalism which caused these bullies to demand what they don’t have and by allowing the bullyism, this will put an end to their mistreatment”.

dthorny on March 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM

I got “in-school suspension” every time I defended myself. They wanted to suspend me outright with the bully a few times but my parents would have none of it.

Yakko77 on March 16, 2011 at 2:13 AM

suspended both students

Both
students? Both? WTF? The little bully begged for every bit of it, unless there’s more to it than what’s on the video.

Fat boy turned the other cheek a couple of times, but the bully was relentless. So fat boy ended it and walked away. I call that ‘social justice’.

petefrt on March 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM

How about if the kid went for the dreaded “eye gouge” as retaliation instead of going for cervical spine injury. Would that have been OK?

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Yes. For you, at what point would it be OK for you to retaliate with sufficient force to maim or kill someone? If someone were just grabbing you? How about if they were placing their hand on your neck? I’m left wondering if you even live on the same planet as we do if you feel you need to carefully measure your response to an attack, or maybe you’re just easy prey…

You act as if you can know the outcome of every action, when you know full well that you don’t know diddly. The bigger kid could have punched the bully in the face and caved in his face, causing permanent damage to his eyes, nose, teeth, jaw, and or ears. Your solution is to walk away I guess and get hit in the back of the head or worse. If you had ever been in a fight, you’d know that you don’t pull your punches, because you *never* know what it will take to end a fight. You fight with everything you have until your attacker/target is subdued, otherwise, you WILL get your ass handed to you and I guarantee that they will give no consideration to your spine or eyes when they are kicking you in the face or sticking a knife in your gut.

As a ‘youth’ I was the anti-bully; any bully that messed with my friends, family or neighbors got their teeth knocked in. I didn’t have a fear of being hit, and that’s basically all that bullies depend on to rule the school with fear. My best friend from middle-school still talks about the two brothers that were bullies in his neighborhood, until the day I kicked their asses for pushing my friend around…for a year (until my friend moved away) after that, they never even went outside at the same time as him. The kids from my neighborhood still talk about the guys I protected them from, and I got stinking drunk on free drinks the last time I went home and saw my brother and his friends. You want to find out if you made a difference in peoples’ lives, try standing up for them when they couldn’t do it for themselves and see what an impact it has. My oldest daughter has the same quality, she’s is a quiet bookworm, but the moment she sees any bully messing with her friends or sister, they better be running because she’s going teach them a lesson. My reaction? Damn straight, and you better always protect your sister and friends too, I don’t care how much trouble she gets into at school, I’ll stand with her for defending others.

And before some mentally damage liberal says anything, I really don’t care how tough some bully’s home life is, if their dad beats them everyday, or if they were being molested by their priest…people make decisions in their lives, and sooner or later they need to take responsibility for their actions. As evidenced by many posters here, being bullied adversely effects the bullied for life too. Bullies only spread misery, so the best thing you can do for yourself, your friends and the bully is to teach them a lesson and that lesson is that they cannot abuse others without risking getting the ever-living-schnitzel kicked out of them.

Geministorm on March 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM

I seriously wished the bully would have had a leg broken or something to remind him, I guess internet infamy is the next best thing.

The only thing that the bullied kid did wrong was that he didn’t follow up by repeatedly punching the bully in the face. When in a fight, you don’t just teach a lesson, you beat the lesson into the heart of the person you are fighting.

Tim Burton on March 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Hey fat kid. When you hit 21, and if you ever make it to the USA, and you’re around the vicinity, stop by and lemme buy you a beer. What the hell, steak and a beer. My dime.

You done good. You’re all right mate.

davisbr on March 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM

BTW, the I don’t think the little punk is smiling at the end, I think he’s grimacing from the pain of his broken ankle. The bully’s videographer (the one with the voice sounding like a 6 year old girl) asks him if he’s OK, and the punk responds, “noooo…” boo-hoo-hoo.

For his part in the fight, Casey deserves;
1. To get laid by the hottest girl in school.
2. To get free beer and steaks where ever he goes.
3. To have a WWF move named after him.
4. To have an anti-bullying law named after him where bullies are the ONLY ones suspended/expelled.
5. To be given box seats for life at his favorite sporting team’s stadium.
6. An autographed picture of Chuck Norris.

BTW, if Chuck Norris had a side-kick, it would be Casey.

Geministorm on March 16, 2011 at 2:55 AM

I thought this was a conservative site? What’s with all the touchy feely blame the victim crap?

Dash on March 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM

LOL! You think that? This is Tepid Air, a sort of, maybe, kind of, almost, just about, that’s what AP and Ed like to think, moderately, though not too overstated, conservative site.

And good for Casey. Although, while the punk was down, I would have practiced a few penalty kicks for good measure, just to be sure the punk, or his posse, didn’t take a shot at me as I walked away.

Don’t start nuthin’, won’t be nuthin’.

RickZ on March 16, 2011 at 3:38 AM

I got bullied a small kid. My Dad found out about it. He told me the next time it happened to hit the kid that did it just as hard as I could in the mouth. Then, to come and tell him about it right away.

The next time it happened I did just what my Dad told me to do. Caught that kid right on the upper lip with the most monumental whack my 9 year-old self could muster. Made my way back home and told my dad about it. It wasn’t more than 10 minutes before the kids Mom showed up at our front door with her little bully in tow. His lip was about the size of a golf ball. I don’t know what happened next because my Dad told me to stay inside and stepped out to have some words with her. He never did tell me what he said to her, But I never had her ever speak to me about it and that kid and I got to be pretty good friends. Stayed that way until their family moved away some years later.

I had to apply what I learned that day a couple of times in High School. It worked like a charm. I finally got my growth spurt my senior year and after that, I never really had much of a problem with anybody.

Which suits me just fine.

trigon on March 16, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Anyone ever participated in high school wrestling? You’re not allowed to body slam someone on their neck or head for a reason. Even when you do a takedown on their side, you have to slow it down on the way down or it’s a foul. If you outright slam them to injure that is not right.

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Uh, this is NOT high school wrestling.
A coward dies a thousand deaths

Bevan on March 16, 2011 at 6:13 AM

The bullied kid acted….stupidly

Huckabye-Romney on March 16, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Little Bully looks kinda wrecked to me (he’s on crutches)

OxyCon on March 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Actually, he still looks like a smug, unrepentant little thug, without benefit of parents or any education to teach him how a decent human being acts.

Siddhartha Vicious on March 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM

The bullied kid should suffer absolutely no consequences what so ever. He was clearly defending himself. The message here should be: Don’t mess with the big kid! IMO the bully got off easy.

GFW on March 16, 2011 at 7:15 AM

“Violence is never the answer”

Yeah, in this case it is. Good on ya kid.

Dino64 on March 16, 2011 at 7:22 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

Define violence? Is it violence when a rape victim pushes back as she is being raped? Is it violence when the victim of an assault hits back as he/she is being brutally attacked on the street?
There is a foundational principle under assault here.. and that is do we as human beings have a right to reasonably defend ourselves when attacked?
The school and some others seem to think not! That the only right thing for a person to do is to lay down and just take it. This is the same line of thinking that happened when those Walmart employees were fired for defending themselves. The employee was threatened by a gunman. But instead of being praised for subduing the madman and saving everyone elses life as well as their own, they get fired! The powers that be seem to think we should submit.. even to the point of possible death rather than stand up and fight back. What is really going on here? What kind of thought processes are creeping into our reasonings? That we the people must submit to violence, never resist, and wait for the government to protect us. We must be sheep!

JellyToast on March 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM

So, let me get this straight. The Education College educated types think that the fat kid should have just stood there and taken it? That ANY sort of self defense (all he did was push the aggressor down) is forbidden?

Really, I would have no idea that the dumbest people in colleges can be found in the Schools of Education. No idea whatsoever…

MNHawk on March 16, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Casey could have killed him some say?! LOL! He probably saved the little fool’s life! He taught the kid that there are consequences to foolish actions! He taught the punk that you when you start a fight your so called victim might end up finishing it! That life doesn’t always turn out the way you figure! He probably gave the little scruff a better education than the school had all year! The freaking school should pay Casey a teacher’s salary for what he did!

My own son, when he was younger in middle school was repeatedly attacked by smaller little thugs. I didn’t understand this at first until I thought about it. And yes, he was in trouble a few times for not putting up with it. I argued with the principle more than once and all she could blather was this same kind of line “Nobody settles anything with violence… blah blah blah” My son was repeatedly tripped in hallways from behind, had his watch stolen from in front of him (sitting on his desk) and the classroom teacher did nothing, pushed shoved (always from behind) and this was happening by a few smaller punks.( my son was a big guy then, and is now at 20). We pulled him out of school and went back to home schooling.

I came to realize the school zero tolerance policies actually promote this phenomenon of little punks picking on bigger guys. It’s a no lose situation for the punk and a no winner for the bigger guy. My son never wanted to go and complain about some little scruff that he could throw across a field was “bullying him!” The little punk could care less about being suspended and in fact, I suspect, the one kid had a MH diagnosis and couldn’t be expelled anyway. He was free to roam and bully anyone. They are free to get off on punching a much bigger kid who is forced by the school to just sit there and take it!

JellyToast on March 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Actions have consequences. Big kid should have picked him up and did it again. Then kick his teeth in. Bully wouldn’t be a bully no mo’.

adamsmith on March 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Gross inustice to the bullied kid. That’s typical in schools these days. Peaceable people always get bullied by wannabe tyrants. The wannabes always interpret peaceableness as weak and thus attack. This ultimately leads to self defense with normal kids/people. Education bureaucrats are cowards, or bullies themselves who don’t like having to accept responsibility for their own bad acts, so they punish everyone involved. Stupid and disgraceful.

Where was ‘Kaptain Kickass’ and the World Bully Police to break this up before it got out of control?

JimP on March 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM

adamsmith on March 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM

If he had though, he’d be in really serious trouble and the little sh*t’s parents would likely have a case too.
But, also, I doubt the bully has learned anything from it either. Bullies are often too stupid to learn from their mistakes.

Dino64 on March 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I think Casey should come over here, get a fake Hawaiian birth certificate, and run for President in 2032.

The Reasonable Man on March 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Someone may have said this already, but this is a great metaphor. Fat kid was a liberal and thus got bullied repeatedly. We get to see his on film conversion from liberal to conservative. And the last time he gets bullied.

Free Indeed on March 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Free Indeed on March 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM

… and the bully was a union shop steward trying to ‘peacefully’ persuade the fat kid to vote for card check and pay his dues on time.

JimP on March 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM

What is really going on here? What kind of thought processes are creeping into our reasoning? That we the people must submit to violence, never resist, and wait for the government to protect us.

JellyToast on March 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Yep, exactly. That’s at the bottom of it. Replacing individualism with statist collectivism.

petefrt on March 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

Says the useless, hand-wringing liberal idiot (yes, yes, I know “liberal idiot” is redundant). We really need to free out children from this type of brain-dead administrator. I know the US is lousy with them.

CantCureStupid on March 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM

JimP on March 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM

…and one man’s bully is another man’s freedom fighter.

petefrt on March 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM

…and one man’s bully is another man’s freedom fighter.
petefrt on March 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM

LOL Touche.

JimP on March 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

The kid was punching him, you idiot.

He used force to stop him, then walked away.

Perfect, I’d say. And how can you suspend a kid for protecting himself from a kid who was punching him?

mankai on March 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

As we are sharing bullying stories…I’ve always, even as a young girl, been very non-confrontational. In addition, my mother stressed ladylike behavior. When I was about six, a girl (about my age) in our neighborhood spent all kinds of time tormenting everyone else. Finally, I’d had enough and punched her in the eye.

When her mother came to talk to my mother about it, with her little monster in tow, my mother turned to me and said, “Honey, you don’t hit a person in the eye–you could cause permanent problems. You hit them here, or here, or here” while pointing to various places on her body. The other mother’s jaw dropped, and I never had a problem with the bullying girl again.

That was a different day–girls are far more likely now to be physically aggressive. Additionally, there are far too many little psychos-in-the-making who want to video-record their crimes against civilization. Anyone who thinks their behaviors won’t escalate if others just take it or walk away or respond “proportionally” is paying no attention to the ugly side of human nature. Any of these things would have meant Casey would continue to be bullied, and it would only get worse. The only thing that works with bullies is “the Chicago Way.”

DrMagnolias on March 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

This link below shows Crossfit which is the latest craze, aside from Zumba. Crossfit is not for chickens; I joined yesterday-I say Mr. PPF joined “the cult”-and it was all pull-ups yesterday guys!

Dedicated to hawkdriver, ted c, SgtSVJones, and MadCon. Tons of Tough dudes and gals, most of them in our military showing self-defense and some military combat fight moves. AWESOME. It loaded faster when I clicked on wmv.

ProudPalinFan on March 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM

dthorny on March 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Obama: Casey Heynes acted stupidly.

NotCoach on March 16, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Boy, am I ever late to this thread. There is nothing unusual about smaller sized kids bullying larger ones. From the bullies’ view, yes, it is the “easy pickings” vibe that is a big factor. Over time the disconnect between the big size/age and aversion to standing one’s ground becomes apparent, and beckons the “aspiring” bully’s attention. Also, when a small kid picks on a big one, there’s a good chance he’s the only one the punk is bullying.

I’m not blaming the victim with this observation, but I think that parents and teachers will sometimes mold bigger kids into being bully-magnets when they get repeatedly lectured to be delicate around others because of their comparative strength. Every kid needs to learn to stand their ground in safe environments (and to avoid/run from unsafe ones).

G. Charles on March 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Whoops for whatever reason I missed the link…Tony737 must know a lot of these moves too. Click on “Kipping Pullup Concepts” to see what I saw yesterday…Yeah kind of like “Sarah O’Connor” but with extra “hmph.”

Remember vid loads faster if clicked on .wmv.

Everybody must watch this.

ProudPalinFan on March 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Anybody who tries to get MY 4 y/o daughter on her back is in for a big suprise … check this out …

If she were strong enough, she could’ve broken my arm if I didn’t tap out!

Nice. I need to work on that one. We wrestle a lot and have a game where she sneaks up on me and gives me headbutts, which we refer to as ‘noggins’. I’ll risk the occasional injury she doles out on me because I want her to be comfortable enough with physical violence that she doesn’t doubt herself when the time comes to use it (which will hopefully be never).

I’ll have to start on the MMA arm and leg bars.

SittingDeadRed on March 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Well even if someone broke my nose, I would still not want to try to give them a cervical spine injury as retaliation even if I was really angry. Just saying…

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM

That’s because you’re a pussy. The rest of us aren’t.

Dominion on March 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM

G. Charles on March 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I was one of those bully magnets, and you’re right. You’re taught that you could hurt someone. Until I had enough and started meeting these guys on the football field and letting them have it out there. It stopped.

itsspideyman on March 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Ed, you struck a nerve with this thread. Over 500 comments.

itsspideyman on March 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Hey, bully… welcome to the accelerated course of Intro to Concrete 101. Lesson one… how hard is it? Lesson two… how does it taste?

Did the bully deserve everything that he received? Of course he did. Had the bully just been head locked and then given a couple of black eyes, though, there would still be no doubt in his thick skull about who won that fight. The end goal of not being bullied anymore surely would have still been met.

The risk of delivering serious and permanent injury would have been far less, too. What would we be saying had the bully landed at a slightly different angle and gotten his skull cracked or neck broken? I’d probably still say that such is the risk one takes in picking a fight, but that wouldn’t justify the result.

Think of the deep crap the 16 year old, his parents and the school all would have to shovel in the courts had it happened, though! For that sad reality of life, I agree with both suspensions. The self defense by the bullied was vastly disproportionate to the attack being waged and quite risky. I don’t think the school should be going public that both got suspended because both used violence. That statement by the school is ridiculous.

I still hope that, in four school days, the 16 year old gets a hero’s welcome from his classmates.

flutejpl on March 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

We always told our son not to be a bully, but if someone hit him, he should defend himself, school rules be damned, and he wouldn’t get in trouble at home.

I stand by that teaching today.

ladyingray on March 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM

What’s even dumber than this bully is the fact that Scooter wasted our money on a 100 person WH Conference on Bullying.

kingsjester on March 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Our daughter studied karate when she was younger. While on the bus on the trip home, a slightly older boy (elementary school) started to, believe it or not, talk sexually to her and tried to hug her… she straight-fisted him in the chest.

She came home that day shaken up. We finally were able to get her to tell us what happened. She felt terrible about using her karate that way. But we smiled and told her that is exactly how it should be used. The kid never bother her again.

Violence was the answer. And today I have a healthy and well-adjusted 16 y.o. with straight A’s instead of a victim in and out of counseling, barely able to graduate.

mankai on March 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

itsspideyman on March 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I was bullied and taunted… until I made the baseball team and started ahead of all the older guys who regularly gave me the business.

mankai on March 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM

mankai on March 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Yes, an excellent use of karate. My older son (6 yrs) is now a green belt in tae kwon do. My younger son (2 yrs) will start the program when he is three.

I am making sure my boys will be able to protect themselves and their friends, if needed.

I was bullied by a senior in high school when I was a freshman. When I finally stood up to him, I was sent to the principal’s office, but did not really get into too much trouble. The bully did not bother me again.

kutabeach on March 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM

As my friend Buck says if you can’t run with the big dawgs you should best stay on the porch.

TomLawler on March 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I can relate to this. In Jr. and Sr. High School I was at least a foot taller then most kids (6′ 7”). I would not play sports like football and basketball and took a lot of physical cr@p for it.
One runt in particular would do what this kid did. If you fought him, his buddies would jump you. Like in “A Christmas Story”. I would take the abuse because I fought enough with my 3 brothers on an almost daily basis. I did not want to do that at school as well.
I am glad this kids stood up for himself and learned a lession I did not get until I was in ROTC at FT. Knox. Never let anyone hurt you. Better to fight in the face of aggression (even if you lose) then to be passive and have the world walk all over you.

mechkiller_k on March 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Got to like the girl at the end pushing the bullies friend back. She knew he would of got the same.

WoosterOh on March 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM

The comments in the photo album on the Facebook page, I just cant stop laughing.

WoosterOh on March 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Governments exist so that people can live in large, complex societies under rules and the threat of force to achieve a level of public safety for all. But when governments carry that idea into ever smaller interactions between people, the system actually mutates into tyranny, as it must, to maintain control on such a micro level. Blanket zero tolerance policies, without regard for unique situations, demonstrate that kind of “benevolent” tyranny. The normal rules of societal interaction are warped and children grow up without an understanding of real conflict resolution. It is a fact of human interaction that sometimes you just have to beat the snot out of bullies. Government interference with that learning process creates confusion and confusion leads to chaos. As crazy as it seems, sometimes I think societal chaos is the goal. If you can’t create compliant sheep, foment a muddled mess. Either way, government has control.

SKYFOX on March 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I was a fat kid being picked on by a skinny little bully for two weeks – used to hide in the toilet from him. The story is too long for this space, but in the end, I beat that kid until he bled – less than 20 feet from three teachers, who, I guess, didn’t disapprove of violence being met with violence. This was 1971.

A nun broke up the fight without a word to either of us. Under the rules, we both should have been suspended. Instead, the school officials ignored the incident.

The bully was never the same. He tried to keep it up, the the other targets would just hang with me for protection.

I compliment Casey on his body slam. Wish I’d thought of that ;)

I further like how one of the bully’s friends looked like he was going to continue the issue, but a girl make him step off.

Cricket624 on March 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM

1. Bully should be expelled.
2. Bring charges against the bully (assault, battery, harassment, etc.).
3. Sue the school, demand record of child be expunged.

I can’t believe that there is any question as to what should happen.

Geministorm on March 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM

All this talk of legal action is inappropriate. Kids pick on kids. It’s a fact of life. He should be punished, but suing the school and bringing charges against the bully blow this out of proportion. We don’t need to sue everybody when things go sideways.

The best handling of bullies is to stand up to them.

hawksruleva on March 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I stand by that teaching today.

ladyingray on March 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Me, my husband, and my ex, taught our son the same thing.
Like me, he’s (possibly) on the autistic-spectrum-so that lends itself to a LOT of bullying.
It did anyway when he was younger.
Now he’s tall and thin and brilliant and is considered to be very ‘dork-chic’-so he doesn’t have to worry about be bullied anymore.
*laughs*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Violence solved Hitler

The Rock on March 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM

IMHO, the reason bullying is on the rise is that the powers that be do not allow the kids to defend themselves.

If every kid is sheep, who fights off the wolves?

Cricket624 on March 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

One of the dumbest things people say. People who say that have never applied violence to the right problem. As in, Hitler.

Now, if you want to say that violence is never the best answer, that’s different. As long as you understand that, while it may never be the best answer, sometimes it’s the only answer.

But this is typical of schools, that are more concerned with preventing fights than in recognizing the need for self-defense.

tom on March 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

The school isnt going to protect him. The cops arent going to protect him. What was he supposed to do? When he eventually committed suicide the school would be lamenting and wringing its hands about bullying and how somebody ought to do something. I think if these bullied kids stood up and fought back and the schools backed them, you’d see bullying come to a screeching halt. Mr Dalgleish, thou art an idiot.

abcurtis on March 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

“‘We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,’ Mr Dalgleish says.”

Well you’ve just been confronted with hard empirical evidence that you’re mistaken, you quisling d-bag. Maybe you should watch the video a few more times. It clearly depicts a problem being solved.

Blacklake on March 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I my family we have an old saying. If you don’t start the fight, finish it. If you start it, I’ll finish it. My kids were raised to respect people and violence never solves anything. When someone starts picking on you, let someone know. However, other kids don’t live by those rules.
I had a situation with my oldest son. He came home from 6th grade one day crying about some kid that was picking on him. I asked if he told the teacher and he assured me that he did. When this continued for a few days more, I wrote the teacher and reiterated my son’s dilemma. Three days went by with no changes. I finally told my son to finish it. The next day, the bully started his antics and my son punched him in the face, resulting in a broken nose. Of course, the school never wants to make a statement, so both kids were suspended. This led me to make a trip to the school. I informed them that both my son and I alerted the school to the incidents leading up to this, but the school turned their backs. I told them my son isn’t some punching bag for bullies and will retaliate when necessary. I argued that he would not be suspended for “self-defense” and if I needed to go above their heads, I would do so. The suspension for him was lifted, but the teacher told me that the bully’s father was going to sue. I told the school that I would be glad to meet with him at the school and we could resolve whatever issues he had. I never heard back from the school and my son was never bullied again.
If he hadn’t acted, he would have been bullied every day until he graduated in 1997, by both big and small kids. Kids know who will fight and who won’t.
I have no problem teaching my kids how to fight. There is nothing wrong in doing so. Just like karate, it’s self discipline that’s the key. My kids know the rules and know that I don’t play the fence.

djaymick on March 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM

My sister is a lesbian, and the amount of ridicule and ridiculous teasing she went through in High School was ridiculous. Kids suck. She punched a couple good, and eventually the ridicule stopped.

blatantblue on March 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Maybe this has already been covered:

The bully was not acting alone. There were other kids supporting him. The victim (i.e., the bigger of the two main kids in the video) was partially surrounded by at least two other kids, one of whom was bigger than him.

As for the school’s suspending the victim, the school is teaching a REAL lesson – authorities often can’t be counted on to administer justice justly.

As for this:

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

I hope that Dalgleish is the subject of violence, as was the big kid/victim here, and that there is no one to help Dalgleish.

Ira on March 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Cricket624 on March 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Exactly. Liberal academia has developed a false hypothesis of how to eradicate violence. But zero tolerance only ends up encouraging the rule breakers to take advantage of those who respect the rules. The only effective way to reduce violence in schools is to teach kids how to defend themselves and encourage them to do so when necessary.

Trying to capture all of the bullies will never work. And ultimately the bully will be ignored in many cases regardless because there are far too many school officials unwilling to stand up to anything themselves. At the end of the day the only one who can protect you is you.

NotCoach on March 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Wonder how much of these ‘violence is not the answer’ policies in schools come from lawsuit avoidance, minimizing school responsibility?

Of course it is a liberal thing too. Kind of funny, we were all kids, and know kids can be nasty little critters. Typical of libs to view kids with their idealism blinders on.

Hope all the attention doesn’t make our friend Casey a target of bigger high school toughs wanting to prove something. They are out there.

jodetoad on March 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM

““We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,”

Sometimes it is. By insisting on non-violence what the school is saying is “you are not allowed to defend yourself, we must defend you” and that only works if the school actually sees what is going on. Bullies are often pretty good about making sure nobody of any importance sees what is going on. The “violence is never the answer” approach is stripping one of their dignity and basically teaches that one is inferior to the bureaucracy. You must not defend yourself, you are not responsible for yourself, only the bureaucracy can defend you.

This is training people for such things as removal of gun rights, for example, where only the bad guys and the bureaucracy can use violence. The bureaucracy is the only entity that decide when it is right and proper for you to be defended.

Sometimes violence IS the answer and if they allowed people to defend themselves and trained them that it was ok, we would have a lot less violence overall. This “violence is never the answer” approach actually enables bullies. We were taught from the time we were small that the way you deal with bullies is to hit them back. They can generally dish it out but they can’t take being hit back. They only bully because in most cases they are convinced they WON’T be hit back.

Yes, sometimes violence is the answer and yes, we do have the right to defend ourselves and not rely on the bureaucracy to be the only ones who can defend us.

crosspatch on March 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Dead Hand Control: “Without much in the way of context or background, I imagine that the only reason this little runt felt empowered to behave in this way is because of the enforcer we see getting in Casey’s face at the end. Seems to me that he’s the real problem.”

Bingo! The problem’s not solved till something is done about him.

David Blue on March 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hmmm. I guess I understand why bullies, traditionally, pick on people much smaller than they are.

morganfrost on March 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

This is going to be a rather long response, so bear with me as I tell this story of how my stepson got a bully to stop picking on him.

My hubby and I are sitting on the couch one day when the phone rings. It’s my hubby’s ex-wife — not an unusual occurence because we have a good relationship with her. I didn’t hear her end of the conversation, but I heard my husband go silent for a minute, then in a loud voice I hear, “(SS) got suspended from school??”

My stepson is what you would call “geeky.” He has a lot of geeky interests (in which his father and I share in, such as video games and anime) and he’s on the honor roll. He’s incredibly sensitive when other kids pick on him, and he wouldn’t hurt a fly. He’s not the type to get in trouble.

So as the phone call goes on, my husband’s demeanor gets calmer as he hears more of what happened. After he got off the phone, he told me that this kid who had been picking on my stepson — and was apparently well known as a troublemaker and bullied other kids as well — was bullying another kid in the gym class locker room who happened to be a friend of my stepson over an iPod or something like that. My stepson went up to the bully and smacked him across the back of the head. The teacher saw what happened and sent both of them to the office.

My stepson was suspended pending a meeting with the ex and hubby.

We got more details about this bully, such as him being reported for putting a hot penny on the back of the neck of my stepson the previous year — something that was supposed to be noted in his record, but for some reason was never noted. The bully was supposed to have moved, so the ex and my stepson didn’t think there was going to be any more incidents until they found out that he moved back.

Anyway, I wasn’t there for the meeting, but I asked the ex how it went when I went to pick up my son from her house (she was watching him for me while I was doing an observation at the high school for a graduate class). She told me that the school officials knew full well what was going on with this bully and had gotten several complaints about him. They knew that my stepson was in the right on this one but because of school rules they didn’t have a choice on the punishment, and were kind of surprised that the hot penny incident wasn’t recorded. They allowed him to come back to school the next day and make up all the work he missed, and they transferred the bully out of his gym class.

When he went back to school, the kids in his gym class were patting him on the back and telling him, “Way to go!” And the bully came up to my stepson in the hallway with gritted teeth to say, “Sorry I was an ***hole.”

I don’t recommend it all the time, but sometimes a smack to the head is enough to make the bully realize you mean business.

ScoopPC11 on March 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

My money’s on the little guy to become a future “Darwin Award” winner.

olesparkie on March 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I blame the school in large part here. You don’t want kids like Casey to resort to violence? Enforce an environment where they do not get repeatedly punched in the face.

Casey’s a kid trying to learn his way through the world. If he concludes that no one will protect him from violence, he will use physical means to protect himself.

The school punished the wrong entity here. In addition to suspending the bully, they should dole out punishments to the individuals responsible for creating a secure school environment, and let Casey off with a warning. If, after they establish a safe environment, Casey repeats this action, then you suspend him.

Chuckles3 on March 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I just watched the vid again. I didn’t think of it before my earlier comment and maybe someone has already made the following observation, but when the bully punched Casey, he didn’t even flinch. Then the bully, insanely IMO, goes into his Muhammad Ali routine and throws the equally ineffectual jabs. At no point does the moron bully seem to realize he punches like a ‘panty waist’. Then he gets a WWF smack down for his trouble at which point his macho buds come to his ‘defense’. ROTFL. Way to go, Casey.

JimP on March 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Don’t start nothin’, won’t be nothin’. Little pecker got what he deserved, except he shoulda been right back in school the next day, so he could learn something about shame and continuing responsibility. The big kid–remarkable restraint. A body slam or a kick while the other kid was down could’ve done real damage, but he stopped when the attack stopped. He should also be back in school–he did nothing for which he should be punished. It isn’t always wrong to fight, but it’s always wrong not to fight for what’s right.

Ay Uaxe on March 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I’m a little confused by all of the posters saying, “Violence doesn’t solve anything”…excuse, but it does.

– When you get backed into a corner, curling up in a ball does nothing, but fighting may save your life.
– When being accosted, raped, or abused, fighting back can save your life or save you from a terrible assault that will effect you for the rest of your life.
– When being bullied, fighting back will lead to the decline of the bullying and reclaim your self-esteem.

I certainly don’t teach my kids to hurt others to get their way, but I also don’t tell them that “violence is never a good idea”. I want my daughters to know that they are absolutely supposed to protect themselves from attacks, and if that means putting someone in the hospital, so be it. My kids are mostly bookworms, quiet, peaceful and well adjusted. But, if someone messes with them, sensing that the mildness/shyness is passivity, they will get a rude awakening. I’m sorry if this is outside the excepted norm for our present society, but I never want to have to be the father that gets the call at 2am when their daughter has been killed by their abusive boyfriend or raped by some ‘friend’…no laws or police force is going to prevent crimes from occurring, so just like with gun ownership, we are often left to fend for ourselves. My daughters know how to handle (and respect) firearms, and how to defend themselves. I wouldn’t be doing my duty as a father if I didn’t give them the tools to protect themselves once they’ve left my care, and society/schools are too often permissive of those that break the rules to think that my kids won’t some day have to protect themselves…

Geministorm on March 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I was the biggest kid in school most years. I dreaded it when new kids started mid-year because a lot of them wanted to kick the big kid’s butt to make a statement.

That lasted until I started fighting back. I soon realized that one punch was enough, given my size. Then I learned that it didn’t come to blows if I said “Ok let’s go” instead of “Leave me alone.” Funny how those kids always wanted to be my friend after I stood up to them.

Casey’s dad should get him into boxing or MMA right away. He’s not really fat he’s just big. Look at his legs. He’s obviously got physical prowess, he just needs to get in touch with his inner bruiser.

Maybe he already has.

Akzed on March 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The lilly-livered “zero tolerance” crowd which infests our schools today needs to GET REAL. Their failure to confront and solve problems only perpetuates bad behavior and makes it the norm.

Two examples proving my point:

1. My brother, who was big for his age (like the kid in the video) was picked on incessantly because of his mild manner. One day, one of the bullies went too far, and the result was kind of like in the video…except my brother finished the humiliation by sitting on the bully until everyone laughed at him and he begged for mercy. Result: nobody hurt, nobody ever messed with my brother again, bully thoroughly discredited. Would school administrator weenies achieve these results? I DON’T THINK SO: they would just hide behind “standard procedure,” freeze the status quo, punish the victim, and force ALL the kids defer their transition to adulthood until their 30′s.

2. My son was also victimized by a bully in class, who shared a table with him. The kid would not leave my son alone (kicking, punching, throwing his book and pencil on the floor, etc.), and the teacher totally ignored the situation and would not respond to requests for help. I sent my son to school with a small bottle of water, and instructed him to pour it on the bully’s fly if he was bothered again. The bully bullied…the water was poured…and the bully screamed bloody murder. Parent/teacher conferences were called, and I told the teacher that it was at least 60% her fault for not controlling the situation, and that I would not tolerate any punishment for my son. Problem solved: bully was so thoroughly and so publicly embarrassed that he actually changed his ways. Son got a new seat in class, and was able to hear the lesson without suffering constant torment. My son was never bullied again…by anyone. Once again: weenie response FAILS, effective “fight fire with fire” countermeasures SUCCEED!!! Lessons were learned.

MORAL: Violence is never or other more imaginative retaliation is often the best answer.

landlines on March 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM

CBS News: Casey Heynes is seen backed up against a wall, being punched several times by a younger, smaller boy. Suddenly, Casey body-slams the alleged bully…

Akzed on March 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’m pretty sure that Casey’s self-defense violence solved any problem he has with this little punk and probably most of the other punks in that school.

The Reasonable Man on March 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Akzed on March 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

CNN; Casey Haynes, a student who has been involved in a series of previous bullying incidents was seen body slamming a younger, and very much smaller child into the hard cement. The child in question sustained multiple injuries and required extensive medical attention.

sharrukin on March 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Which suits me just fine.

trigon on March 16, 2011 at 4:20 AM

I hear you. I was also usually the smallest (and youngest) kid in my classes: it stayed that way until my third year of college.

I learned to fight back with everything I had when I was attacked…in grade school…basically because I didn’t want to be stuffed in the urinal or a wastebasket like the other small kids. Any of the bigger kids could have beat me to a pulp, but instead they backed off when confronted, and started respecting me. Nobody messed with me, and I didn’t have to fight again.

I learned that bullies are usually cowards and will back off if confronted. This lesson has proven valuable in business over the years, too: it is absolutely a survival skill for a small business.

landlines on March 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

You know, Isaac Asimov said “Violence is the final refuge of the incompetent.”

The first time I read that, even as a kid, I thought Asimov was wrong. Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent. The competent try everything they can to avoid violence, and in general only use it when everything else fails.

When that situation occurs, however, it’s important that it be used. Sometimes violence is the only solution. Bluffs only go so far.

Casey behaved exactly right. He should be proud of himself. Some school officials and social workers (and a lot of others) could learn a lot by watching him.

hachiban on March 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

So? That attack could have caused a cervical spine injury or a head injury. When you retaliate, you should not do so in that manner.

Spathi on March 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Have you ever trained for a fight? I do some amatuer MMA fighting and we so crazy training on our neck muscles to avoid our spinal disks being thrown out of whack or vertebrae broken. Boxers do the same for the same reason.
Furthermore, a strong neck stops your brain from getting sloshed around and putting your lights out.

Now, when we work on finishing fights we aim to do 2 things:
1) punch/kick/knee/elbow someone in the head to knock them out. (i.e. damage their brain enough that it decides to go to sleep for a bit)
2) employ chokes or joint locks to suffocate or break (threaten to break actually) the limbs.

We don’t work on slamming people because it doesn’t do all that much to end a fight. At worst you knock the wind out of them in most cases.
I don’t mean to pick on you, but you have precious little understanding on fighting. I’m also guessing you’ve never been in a fight because anyone who has been in a street fight knows you do what ever it takes to give you a window of opportunity to separate yourself from the ‘hot zone’like Casey did here. One slam and done.
Slamming a guy down on his side isn’t going to do much to him. Punching a guy in the face definitely will.

MannyT-vA on March 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

To the contrary, violence, or the potential for it, settles virtually everything.

Nosli W. Nevets on March 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

You are right there. The teachers DO know who the bully is, and I sort of remember them almost “helping’ the bully victimize others. Oh nothing like, go get so and so, but more like being “blind” to the damage they cause.
I hear the bully’s mom is demanding an apology and taking our Gentle Giants parents to court. I hope she does. Her young thug’s actions should be seen there.
To those few idiots on the thread decrying the right to protect yourself from violence by fighting back… go eat a lemon and stay there. We don’t need you.

Noelie on March 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I was reminded by my son of something that happened to him in middle school (now many years ago).

He was being bullied by a kid who stole his lunch every day. I complained to the school with zero results, so we decided to handle it ourselves.

The next day, I made him two lunches: his regular one, and a “special” one, consisting of bread, stale cheese, mayo, dijon mustard, chili sauce, tabasco sauce, jalapeno peppers, paprika and cayenne pepper. His very vindictive sister spit in it, and then we left it out all night on the kitchen counter.

The next day, I wrapped it up neatly and sent it to school with him. That afternoon, I asked what had happened.

He told me he first ate his real lunch in the bathroom, then went out to his usual spot, sat down under a tree and took out the tabasco sandwich, laid it down on its bag and got out his soda.

Before he’d even managed to open the soda, the bully showed up and grabbed the sandwich. My son said, “Don’t take that.”

The other kid responded “What are you going to do about it?”

My son shrugged and the other kid walked away with the sandwich. My son got up and stood leaning against the tree, watching. The other kid was talking to his friends, opening the sandwich, and then took a big bite and shewed.

Dan said the kid suddenly stopped chewing, spit out the mouthful, threw the sandwich down and starting looking around for my son, who took off running.

I don’t know if the dose of germs from the spit and incubation time on the counter had any effect. Probably not, since the kid spit out the bite, but the thought was satisfying, and the final result was good. The kid never bothered my son again — which was a good thing for him, because I promised my son that if he kept it up, the next offering was going to be Ex-Lax cookies. I’d learned a lot from my own experience as a bully’s victim, all those years ago, and we used it to good effect. Sometimes you don’t have to hit them. ;)

hachiban on March 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

The fat kid is the traditional small government conservatives. The little pr**k dancing around is the typical liberals.

The fat kid stands there and takes it and takes. Eventually, we’re going to body slam those little pr**ks! And damn it will be satisfying.

Charles Martel on March 16, 2011 at 11:28 PM

There comes a day when there will be no one to save you but you.
The cops won’t be coming.
The government will not help until someone is dead or seriously hurt.
The putzes in the community are not getting involved bcs it’s none of their business.
So what do you do? Let the blows rain down upon you?
Never lift a hand to defend yourself?
Give me a break.
I’ve watched metaphorical fights that weren’t physical & actual physical fights.
Some people are asking for an A$$kicking & that gets worse when the people that desperately need one get away with the nasty behavior.
In fact if anything, asking for those who are picked on to do nothing only lets the rage simmer until it blows with uncontrollable rage.
That’s not good.
Some people just need a lickin’.

Badger40 on March 17, 2011 at 2:09 AM

hachiban on March 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I love that! Nice work. :)

Dino64 on March 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM

The “violence is never the answer” crowd need to shut their tofu holes.

These same hand-wringers love to say “war is never the answer” and would, I suppose, prefer a world in which the bullies and tyrants run roughshod over the decent folk whose sensibilities have evolved to the point where they are content living a life of pacifistic subjugation.

Better to live on one’s knees, after all. At least in their pathetic, irresponsible and unrealistic view.

RDuke on March 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM

“We don’t believe that violence is ever the answer,” Mr Dalgleish says.

Nosli W. Nevets on March 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I believe one of the defining attributes of government is they are supposed to have a monopoly on the aggressive use of force. (except self defense of course)

scotash on March 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM