Rush: I wish Rubio would run for President

posted at 1:30 pm on March 15, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Rush Limbaugh offered that off-hand endorsement of Marco Rubio after Florida’s newest Senator announced that he would oppose any more short-term spending bills in Congress. “What the hell is going on,” Rush wants to know, calling talk of another CR “crap”:

Meanwhile, Rubio has a few other ideas as well, notably to cut off the EPA’s efforts to expand its regulatory reach. His office announced earlier today that Rubio would attach an amendment to “every major bill” in the Senate to cut off funding for EPA enforcement of “job-destroying numeric nutrients regulations,” as well as rescind authority for spending of any unused stimulus funding.

On the issue of short-term CRs, Keith Hennessey disagrees [see update below], at least tactically:

The repeated-short-term-CR strategy is working to enact $2 B of savings per week. The strategy is not, however, resulting in any funding limitations on hot button Administration policies.

Let’s assume you’re a conservative Member who wants to do even more. You either want deeper cuts, or to enact them all now, or to enact a funding limitation rider. You threaten to oppose the next CR. Is your threat principled or strategic?

A principled position sounds like this: “I cannot in good conscience support a bill that [spends this much / funds bad program X.]” A strategic position sounds like this: “I hope that my no vote means no CR will pass. The resulting government shutdown will strengthen the hands of spending cutters in the longer-term negotiations.”

The principled argument sounds great to outside allies. But if it is not paired with a viable strategy, it is individually rewarding but likely to be counterproductive. Is it a good outcome if your principled no vote leads to a legislative result that spends more? You’ll feel better for having voted no, but the Nation will be worse off. If you don’t like your team’s strategy, try to change it.

If your vote is strategic, then please explain how you expect to win a public shutdown fight, and how that public battle will strengthen your leaders’ hand in negotiations with Leader Reid and Team Obama. Does your strategy rely on Republican message unity during the shutdown, or is it OK if now-unified Republicans split? Should a shutdown be accompanied by a public message of “We regret that Democratic refusal to cut spending has forced the government to shut down,” or instead “We shut down the government and it’s not that bad?”

Conservative Members who simply say what they individually won’t do (vote for the next CR), should explain what they want their party leaders to do in response. As an outside supporter of deep spending cuts, I care less about your individual vote than I do about the policy outcome. How will your threatened no vote lead to less government spending than the current strategy?

The crux will be whether Republicans or Democrats would win a game of chicken with a shutdown. I think both sides would lose somewhat, but Democrats didn’t even propose a budget for this fiscal year. As long as Republicans keep proposing a budget, they have the better argument. The CRs cut spending, but hardly enough to make a dent. Meanwhile, the continuing effort to build CRs will bog down legislative efforts at real reform in FY2012 by tying up legislative time and negotiating effort on a bill that should have been handled seven months ago.

Let the Democrats argue that a 1.6% in overall spending reduction is so radical that it requires them to shut down non-defense discretionary spending over it.  Otherwise, they win by running out the clock and then leaving so little time for FY2012 budgeting that we’ll likely be back to CRs for that as well.

Update: In case there is any confusion, Keith agrees with and supports Rubio’s attempts to block the EPA on expanded enforcement.  I had tried to be specific that I was returning to the issue of continuing CRs alone, but just in case anyone got confused in the segue, Keith’s disagreement only related to the CR itself.

Comments

I look forward to voting for him, but I doubt it will be before 2020.

Vashta.Nerada on March 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Rush speaks and the world says: “what did he say?”

Power

jake-the-goose on March 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Personally I wish Barry Golwater was alive and running. His vision is my vision……..

adamsmith on March 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I look forward to voting for him, but I doubt it will be before 2020.

Vashta.Nerada on March 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

You’re confident that we will still have a country left?

darwin-t on March 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Marco would be a good choice, IMO. I have a question which has probably been answered before but haven’t seen it. I know Marco’s parents were from Cuba, did they become naturalized citizens so Marco would be able to run for president? I have tried to find the answer but so far nothing. Thanks in advance for any information.
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Marco is representative of a very powerful young group of new conservatives in the GOP. Our bench is packed.

I for one – would still like to see a conservative woman in the Oval Office – ASAP.

A barracuda.

jake-the-goose on March 15, 2011 at 1:39 PM

2nd that!

———–

the lsm is on the dems side, so of course ANYTHING that the gop does will be scrutinized…might as well go for it…

cmsinaz on March 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I heard Rush say this live. *gulp* I LOVE Rush, but have to disagree with him on this. At the very least, Rubio needs to finish one term and then get some executive experience before running for POTUS. He has potential, but needs experience. And I want to see if he’s really conservative or business-as-usual.

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

rubio or the huckster????

hands down, rubio!!!!

cmsinaz on March 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I could definitely take Rubio seriously in this race. Nice endorsement.

sherry on March 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Marco Rubio was born in the United States so he is eligible to run for President.

I believe he has at least one older sibling (10 years, I think) who was born in Cuba and could not run for President.

Greyledge Gal on March 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Republicans would lose any showdown simply because they’ve decided they would lose. Winning hasn’t entered into their calculus. In the same vein, they won’t strip funding for Obamacare; they do not have the nerve to confront the issue, and cannot conceive winning the argument if they did. They actually believe a combination of studious non-confrontation, media appeasement, and the basic drift of events (democrat mistakes) will lead to greater power. Greater power is the real goal, not the use of this power in a morally and politically bold and informed way (equal to the challenges of our times).

rrpjr on March 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Maybe this was a response to Ann Coulter?

El_Terrible on March 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Can’t we just let him be a Senator first? Since we have a lousy field of candidates for 2012, taking control of the Senate should be our first priority.

Knucklehead on March 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Hey Rush,

Remember the last time we elected an inexperienced back-bench legislator to the Presidency?

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Greyledge Gal@1:43,
So if just being born here make one legal to run for president? If so, any illegal alien child born here, coming up from mexico with both parents not citizens can run for president? I must have read things a bit wrong on this.
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I wish Rubio would run for President

Me too. In about 10-14 years when he’s got some experience. The Obama path is a path to epic failure.

Scrappy on March 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Sorry, no senators for president. President is a executive management position. If you can’t demonstrate executive experience and capability, forget it.

rrpjr on March 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM

L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Children of illegal aliens shouldn’t be considered citizens at all. Just another way in which our courts have screwed sh!t up.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I know the field sucks but come on guys, Rubio? Just because Obama was elected with no exec experience doesn’t mean we need to start making a habit of this kinda crap.

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on March 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I look forward to voting for him, but I doubt it will be before 2020.

Vashta.Nerada on March 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Unfortunately our Republic won’t last that long…we will not be recognizable by 2020.

PatriotRider on March 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I am so sick and tired of hearing “X would be a great candidate but its too soon for them. Maybe in 2016.” Screw that. Especially if Obama is the alternative.

I think it’s pretty sophomoric to think all young candidates will make bad leaders just because Obama was bad.

Ampersand on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Sure sounds to me like he’s in Palin’s corner. Been doin’ an awful lot of defending her lately.

Socmodfiscon on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

If you are born here, you automatically become a citizen. That’s why we have the “anchor baby” problem. Child born here is a citizen, eligible for all the benefits of a citizen under the law and Constitution.

Any child born on US soil is considered a natural born citizen.

Greyledge Gal on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Hey Rush,

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM

yeah, we should just play it safe and reelect Obama…

Ampersand on March 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Any child born on US soil is considered a natural born citizen.

Greyledge Gal on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Because of a court ruling. I’d like to see legislation to specifically address that hole in our citizenship laws.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Ampersand on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

tru dat

cmsinaz on March 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I, although I am a strong supporter of Sarah Palin because I researched her 18 year record, am open minded to other candidates. Their records are researched as well.

One of my criteria for president is that the field of
applicants needs to have experience as a governor and hopefully also have small business experience.

Also, just because someone says the right things doesn’t mean they will do the right things. I want to see that
record of proof. No exceptions.

Rubio, altho I love his gumption, has neither. He belongs
where he is at – in the senate – where he can do the most
good.

Amjean on March 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

“Democrats’ unwillingness to engage on this issue is leading us closer to a catastrophic debt spiral that will irreversibly damage our government, our economy and ultimately our country.

“The absurdity of what we have witnessed on the Senate floor is only eclipsed by the lack of leadership demonstrated by the White House, and a President who has been absent from this debate and even sent his lead negotiator on a five-day foreign trip.

“I Did Not Come To The U.S. Senate To Be Part Of Some Absurd Political Theatre” — Rubio

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Rubio?….

….Jeb Bush with an accent.

No thank you (for now). Let’s see Marco does when push comes to shove and he gets a taste of the Palin treatment from the Whoredog Left Media.

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

No more newbies!

I love Rubio… he might even be worth chancing as a VP, but we need some experience! The country is in awful shape and good ideas are just not enough. It is going to take real world experience to get things back on track.

I think I’d support Donald over another newbie.

petunia on March 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Maybe Rush is:
1. Signaling to Palin to get on with it already.

2. He knows Palin isn’t running.

3. He really is endorsing Rubio the person.

4. He’s just telling the GOP in Congress to grow a pair.

Any other possibilities?

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Ampersand on March 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

And I think it’s sophomoric to think that someone without a good deal of experience can run the greatest country in the world. Ironic that you would use the term “sophomoric” considering it’s origins are based on the concept of a lack of experience.

Scrappy on March 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

adamsmith on March 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Goldwater ran and lost…badly.

Reagan ran on Goldwater’s vision and won…twice.

The “vision thing” isn’t enough–you need a candidate who can sell it to the voters. Reagan knew how, Goldwater didn’t.

Rubio sold his vision to the voters of Florida, but by 2012 he will only be in the Senate for two years, and national voters have probably had enough of newbie Senators trying to be President (e.g. Barack Hussein Obama). By the end of his Senate term in 2016, Rubio might be ready…

Steve Z on March 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Rubio will be the GOP nominee’s VP pick. Book it.

jondun5 on March 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

job-destroying numeric nutrients regulations

Huh?

Mark1971 on March 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM

L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

If they were not U.S. citizens at the time of his birth, wouldn’t that disqualify Obama and Jindal too?

Rubio should run for this reason alone, to make the One and his prove once and for all what citizen his real father was at the time of his birth.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

On same topic, of “naturalized parents at time of birth” it w/b ‘fun’ to just watch the media rationalize Obama away and not Rubio.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Any other possibilities?

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Maybe he knows something we don’t, and isn’t sharing… yet

Ugly on March 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Ronald Reagan was elected governor in 1966. He ran for president as California’s favorite son in 1968.

Rubio excites me more than any Republican since Reagan and Kemp. God willing, I would be thrilled to vote for Jindal/Rubio 2012.

Terrie on March 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

The Pappy Plan!!!

THAT…….will fix what Rush is talking about (the GOP jacking around with the budget)!

1. SEAL the Border!

2. 10% across the board Federal spending Cuts!

DO IT GOP!!!!

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Schadenfreude@2:09,
That was what I was asking about Marco, his parents citizenship. The broo-ha over bho’s you know what?
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Rush just did a section on Sarah, let’s see how fast that comes on here at HA because this has to be the first time I’ve seen a Rush spot put up here this fast. I mean the show hasn’t even ended!

I like Rubio, I think, I have to see him actually do someting but, this is a good start. Let’s not be so quick to take him out if the Senate though… Sarah us going to need all the TEA partiers she can get to get her agenda through.

Palin/Bolton (’cause our foreign policy is going to need major repair)

CCRWM on March 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I don’t wish Rubio would run, I wish someone with years and years and years of experience in governing, leading, decision-making, writing legislation, perhaps commanding troops in battle, knows all about foreign policy, has respect from the international community and doesn’t twitter or play golf. Ok, they can play golf. Now all we have to do is go find that person and make them run. :)

scalleywag on March 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM

There’s so damn much discretionary spending that its incredibly absurd to continue the headlong rush to raise the debt limit to support it while we rush on towards our own demise.

What epiphany will it take to come to terms with the train trestle is out, truth.

Heed the signs, the apocalypse is now.

Speakup on March 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Pappy – I like the way you think – and you do think.

jake-the-goose on March 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM

If he is Palin’s VP, she carries Florida on the Cuban vote alone. If we’re going to delve into identity politics, we should find Hispanic candidates, since the overwhelming majority of the Black vote is lost to us, most likely in perpetuity.

Kafir on March 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Too much internet, very depressed. I feel we are in a state of real emergency, and our politicians haven’t noticed.

Serious and imminent emergency. Like maybe we make it to 2012, but without major course correction, we won’t make it to 2016. I hope I’m wrong and just having a gloomy morning.

With the course correction, we get riots and violence. Without it we probably will anyway. The politicians keep playing patty-cake, but it’s time for action. ‘Make the world go away, and take it off my shoulders’ says our government.

I’m going to plant a serious garden, and get solar panels for when the lights go out.

jodetoad on March 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

jodetoad on March 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I slip in and out of the same dark moods, or certainties. The disconnection between what is happening around us and the idiocy (in the case of the Left, a fierce and malicious idiocy) in Washington and all other halls of power is just stunning. Even after November. If we can’t nominate and make the case for a principled conservative in 2012 who can lead us through the pain and out the other side, no telling how bad it will get.

rrpjr on March 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Rush was simply making the point that Republican congresscritters need to grow some balls and present serious slashes in the budget that fix our debt problem.

He wasn’t asking Rubio to run.

pugwriter on March 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM

As for more cuts… anyone see this (from HuffPo!)

Under the financial regulation bill signed into law by President Barack Obama last year, the CFPB’s budget is tied to that of the Federal Reserve, with the intention of insulating the bureau from annual congressional budget battles and the attendant mountains of lobbying cash. But Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas)– who chairs the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight and has helped lead previous pushes to cut funding for the CFPB — said one of the three top priorities for his Republican colleagues this year is to change that status, making the bureau dependent on prevailing sentiments in the legislature.

MeatHeadinCA on March 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM

OMG. Did anyone just hear caller Angela on Rush’s show? Unbelievable. She won’t vote for Palin because Sarah abandoned her own child on stage by not reaching for her hand. That was Angelas central reason for not supporting SP.

Then Angela got more dogmatic and doubled down on the idea that Palin as a mother needs to attend to her children. Hands down the dumbest caller in quite some time.

Geochelone on March 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM

He wasn’t asking Rubio to run.

pugwriter on March 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Agreed. Ed is ignoring context while pimping Rush for traffic.

fossten on March 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Geochelone@2:57,
I heard that! She was really something to listen to and Rush hardly got a word in with her blabbing.
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM

MeatHeadinCA on March 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM

And how many Republican’s voted for that?

Outrageous!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM

PappyD61 on March 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I pick door number one. I believe he’s frustrated that Palin hasn’t announced yet, but he dare not say so…yet.

SKYFOX on March 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

LOL Way to go, Rush. Crap indeed!

JimP on March 15, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Rubio is not a natural born American. We already have one too many of them as President in case you haven’t noticed, Rush.

Murphy9 on March 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

My exit question: Does Palin pull the trigger and run, or does she sit it out in 2012?

My own prediction: Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee’s….. IN.

Expect the most unique campaign in American history. Only it will be HERstory as it can only end one way: POTUS #45.

Somebody write this on the calendar. ;-)

itzWicks on March 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And how many Republican’s voted for that?

Outrageous!

Knucklehead on March 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Agreed. I’d love to know which Republicans supported that pos idea. They basically just gave more power to Obama (spending power in particular!)

MeatHeadinCA on March 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

conservative pilgrim on March 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I think you need not worry. He won’t run.

That said, he’s a natural.

He would crush Obama—absolutely destroy him.

Saltysam on March 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Greyledge Gal on March 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

False. His parents were not American citizens at the time of his birth, so that makes him, like Obama, not a natural born American per the nomenclature in use at the time the Founding Fathers wrote the United States Constitution.

Murphy9 on March 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Yes, but obviously some “conservatives” do not care any more for the United States Constitution, other than when doing so is to their advantage, than do so called “liberals”.

Murphy9 on March 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Murphy9@3:21,
Thanks, that was what I was waiting to see!
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

First time I’ve ever seen Rush adrift in my lifetime.

He’s never been a candidate du jour booster before.

scotash on March 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Rubio needs to be a successful governor of Florida first, then run for president. Presidents should be at least in their mid-fifties or older.

He was born in Miami, so he’s good to go as far as being a natural born citizen.

erp on March 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Natural born citizens have both parents that are citizens of the US at the time of their birth. Anchor babies are born in the US and have foreign born parents who are not US citizens. The children are citizens, but not natural born citizens. The debate is were Rubio’s parents citizens at the time of his birth? Only a natural born citizen can be president unless your name is Barack Hussein Obama, then all bets are off.

BetseyRoss on March 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I have been wondering, if Rush knew this about Marco and his parents when he made the statement, was it his sly way of, should I say, keeping the you know what out there about bho?
L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

You know what’s funny is how people say Palin doesn’t have enough experience to run the country but the same folks have no problem with Rubio, West, Christie, etc.

Anyway, I think Rush is just tossing that out there b/c Rubio happened to say something he liked and agrees with (and whoever upthread suggested this could be a shout out of sorts to Ann Coulter might be on to something; subtly mocking people is sort of Rush’s gig). I don’t recollect Rush ever endorsing a candidate before he was nominated so I don’t think this is an endorsement either. I’m fairly certain anyway that he’s in the Palin camp, even if he doesn’t say as much.

NoLeftTurn on March 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM

L

letget on March 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

WHO IS BARRY SOETERO?

Naturally Curly on March 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM

MeatHeadinCA on March 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Neugebauer will be my congressman when we get to Lubbock.
Out-standing!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Which is why Sarah Palin should not run. She didn’t finish her term either. Just upped and quit.

keep the change on March 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM