Anxious world looks to White House and wonders: Who’s Obama picking for the Final Four?

posted at 9:10 pm on March 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

This is a rare case where I think (hope?) that even our resident liberal trolls will admit that a Republican president in the same situation would be utterly destroyed by the media for wasting time on something so inane as NCAA brackets at a moment of global high anxiety. Libyan rebels holed up in Benghazi are preparing to make their last stand, with all that entails; cable news is wall-to-wall with updates on how much worse than Three Mile Island the situation in Japan is and whether Californians should be stockpiling iodide. And meanwhile, this guy’s talking about Pitt’s perimeter game. If you want to equivocate on world events that have captured the public’s imagination, okay (well, not okay), but can we at least deep-six the lighthearted photo ops until we know for sure that a cesium cloud isn’t headed for Tokyo? Says John Podhoretz, “We’re going on four weeks now, or more, that Barack Obama has been reading My Pet Goat.” Except he’s not just reading it. He’s doing ESPN segments about it.

This is just a brief snippet from his interview with a Pittsburgh TV station; the ESPN chat will air tomorrow. As for my own picks: I’ve got Qaddafi in the Libyan regional, radioactive steam over the containment vessels out east, and China over Duke in the final. At the buzzer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What is wierd too, is if you look at the lame stream news sites:

CNN.COM
MSNBC.COM
etc…

There’s no pictures of the One. He’s totally absent!

IUnknown on March 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Did you know that Obama has been in an unconscious state for literally a third of his presidency? He calls it “sleep,” but I call it ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I miss Bush.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I miss Clinton.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

If I was President of China, no-one would question my NCAA picks, and all my teams would win…or else!

PatMac on March 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I know what I’m thinkin’

But if I ever uttered that in here… I’d be out the door.

So….. I ain’t sayin’ jack.

Patrick on March 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM

PatMac on March 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Especially each one of those #1 seeds I imaginatively and thoughtfully picked to go to the Final Four…all four always meet in the Final Four, don’t they?

churchill995 on March 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Basketball Jones — Err Czar …

wheels on March 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Anyone who thinks the President is lazy and disinterested doesn’t know the President.

Socialists do not do their restructuring of society in the open.

Rest assured Mr. Obama’s priorities are not foreign policy; he, his wife and his czarist minions are working furiously to permanently reorder this society.

Don’t be fooled by the external speculation.

rickyricardo on March 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I miss Clinton.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Carter is looking better and better.

unseen on March 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM

rickyricardo on March 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I agree with this but I also am not convinced he runs in 12.

I think he may well do as much damage as possible and then turn it over to Hillary to finish it off as she is an even greater, but less clever Marxist than the Liar himself.

I don’t think he can win in 12 if he can’t get on the ballot in a dozen states because of his Birth Certificate or lack thereof!

dhunter on March 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Carter is looking better and better.

unseen on March 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM

At least we can agree on that :-)

When PBHO was elected I said that it wouldn’t be long before we were nostalgic for even that loser.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

As to this point, yes, liberals would be making a big deal about how a Republican president shouldn’t be doing whatever instead of personally airlifting people out of New Orleans with Air Force One during Katrina, but that doesn’t make it any less stupid when it’s leveled at Obama.

One way to handle this would be to acknowledge the fact that this kind of thing is stupid and focus on things that actually matter, another thing you could do is make the exact same pointless criticism toward Democrats that liberals constantly make toward Republican presidents and then justify that inane criticism by saying that, since the other side does it, it’s OK for you to make that same criticism as long as you point out that liberals would do it too.

I guess we know which option everyone ends up going with.

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Basketball Jones — Err Czar …

wheels on March 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

dhunter on March 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Barry is starting to remind me of David Brent, the pitiful boss in the original BBC UK version of The Office. Completely self deluded, out of touch and incompetent. But without the charm.

Sharke on March 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I think he’s more like the President in The Fifth Element.

slickwillie2001 on March 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM

If this were Bush, there would be a large, mainstream Dem/Media, movement to have Bush Impeached for being Derelict in Duty.

jp on March 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM

This will be the third year O’dumb@$$ picks his bracket on ESPN. That combined with the how awsome Obama is references that are worked into the highlights every once in a while is why I quit watching sports center.

cobrakai99 on March 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Come on show a little more honesty PR. Sure the F4 thing is trivial, but it is fittingly symbolic of the lack of leadership that we have seen for months. Basically PBHO has been close to invisible on just about every big event for months.

One could speculate that it coincides with Rahm and others leaving. I don’t know, but I do know that he had nothing to contribute to the ME uprisings from Tunisia to now. What has he had to say about the awful events in Japan and how we will help our good friends there? Nor has he made any real efforts to come up with a budget as he simply submitted last year’s and said everything in it is vital and can’t be cut.

If it weren’t for MoTown, “Women’s History Month,” and the F4 I would think the WH was unoccupied with a “For Rent” sign on the door.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Finally! Something that isn’t above his pay grade!

Few Things Considered on March 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I miss Bush.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I miss Clinton.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I miss Millard frikkin’ Fillmore…

Bruno Strozek on March 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I miss Millard frikkin’ Fillmore…

Bruno Strozek on March 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Ah yes, Mill Fill. Now there was a president!

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Come on show a little more honesty PR. Sure the F4 thing is trivial, but I like to think it is fittingly symbolic of a lot of things that I like to believe about the President regardless of whether those things are actually true.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Fixed.

Yes, let’s get involved in another conflict in the Middle East. Maybe let’s get involved in a couple – anywhere where there’s a dictator, let’s say. I mean, when has that ever backfired?

I don’t know, no one knows how we will help, but I’m sure we’ll help just as much as any president would help. Is there really a person out there that would say, “Eh, don’t bother with Japan, they can handle it”? Come on.

Not really an accurate characterization but this is absolutely a legitimate, reasonable criticism. I don’t think he’s doing enough on the budget either and I don’t think he has a clear idea as to what he should be doing next. I could even live with not cutting it this year as long as we have an eye toward the future, toward future cuts or tax hikes somewhere down the line. But I think that Obama is as serious about fixing our budget crisis as Congressional Republicans are, which is, to say, not serious about it at all.

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Ah yes, Mill Fill. Now there was a president!

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Fun facts about Fillmore – one of our four Unitarian presidents and is generally credited with being the President who brought indoor plumbing to the White House.

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM

You’re just jealous because tommorrow before he attends another DNC fundraiser Obama Accepts an award in conjunction with Sunshine Week*

*According to the White House, the award is “from a coalition of good government groups and transparency advocates to recognize ‘his deep commitment to an open and transparent government—of, by, and for the people.’”

Yesterday, the AP had a story on his lack of transparency and compliance with FOIA requests. picky picky

No Niks on March 15, 2011 at 10:55 PM

The media will cover for him no matter what he does, why should he care what we peasants think?

WisCon on March 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I’m tired of these references to the “My Pet Goat” incident as if it was a fail. Frankly, that was a brilliant move on Bush’s part. Given the circumstances, the Secret Service was rapidly sorting out the evacuation details and no reliable information was available. Bush could have flipped out and run out of the room, causing unnecessary panic. Instead, he calmly sat back down with the youngsters, keeping emotions in check until the movement plans had been completed.

Trolls will say that the Secret Service always has an evacuation plan and that they should have been able to move out immediately. However, given the circumstances of events that day, my money is on the Secret Service not trusting their pre-planned evacuation plans due to the extraordinary events and were rapidly re-evaluating security before they executed their plan.

AZfederalist on March 15, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Fixed? IC, you like to put words in other’s mouths to make yourself feel better. How very honest.

Not done putting word in my mouth. Guess what? I’ve been arguing here against most others that we shouldn’t be getting involved militarily, such as with a no fly zone. That is no excuse for PBHO being silent and waiting for the UN to tell us how WE should act.

Right, we don’t know because PBHO hasn’t stepped up and told us! The Japanese need our help and Americans need to know what we are doing to help and PBHO is doing his Silent Bob routine. Sorry, but the leader of the free world doesn’t get to hide from the world’s problems.

It’s his job to communicate what our policies are and why. It’s his job to provide comfort not just to Americans in times of crisis but to our friends abroad as well. PBHO is AWOL and even a liberal ought to be horrified by the thought that nobody is steering the ship of state!

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

MJBrutus on March 15, 2011 at 11:04 PM

WisCon on March 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM

this

cmsinaz on March 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Haven’t read the comments yet, but if a Republican President had done the same thing they would have a cow.

Oh, that’s right, they already did

Del Dolemonte on March 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM

How ESPN can’t be embarrassed by beclowing itself this way is beyond me.

churchill995 on March 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Onama voted “Present.”

shorebird on March 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Speaking of which

NEW BRAUNFELS — Asleep at the Wheel founder, recording artist, producer and playwright Ray Benson has been named 2011 Texan of the Year by the Texas Legislative Conference.

Benson will be presented with the award at 7 p.m. March 24 at a special reception in his honor at New Braunfels Civic/Convention Center. He will join an array of prominent past honorees that includes Barbara Jordan, Laura Bush, Anne Armstrong and Gov. Rick Perry.

The Award will be presented to Ray by…Karl Rove

Del Dolemonte on March 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Today, as in the late 1970s, the job isn’t too big, nor is the country too powerful: The man is too small.

Tiny

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM

“It would be so much easier to be President of China” – Barack Obama

“Being First Lady is hell. I can’t stand it!” – Michelle Obama

OxyCon on March 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM

It’s so funny…I was just wondering where the Dems get these affirmative action nitwits that they appoint as Attorney Generals, and then Allah gives us this reminder.

What was I thinking?

Asked and answered — we have an imbecile in the White House.

Jaibones on March 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM

It’s the final, “Fore!” Of course Mr. Obama is on top of it.

Mason on March 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Tiny

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM

He really is the incredible shrinking president. If his supporters still want him on Rushmore I think the best we can do is his Ch’ia head in the souvenir gift shop.

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Rio this coming weekend.

Too bad the carnival is over. The clowns arrive late.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Maybe the first couple can pick up a few bags of special potion ingredients for Granny Robinson. Might help in the coming election!

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

THIS: Rebels In Libya Prepare For Slaughter; Look To US For One Thing That Can Save Them– Another Empty Statement from Obama That Qadaffy Must Go

lovingmyUSA on March 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I guess we know which option everyone ends up going with.

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Coming from the man who does nothing but criticize Republicans/Conservatives, your comment is ironic.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM

PatMac on March 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Good one!

Renwaa on March 16, 2011 at 6:06 AM

This “man” used to make me ashamed. Now, he makes me sick.

Mr. Grump on March 16, 2011 at 7:14 AM

This joker keeps proving daily just how unready for prime time he is! Every person who voted for him should be ashamed! Talk about the ‘Peter Principal.’

GFW on March 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Obama = Douche.

Viper1 on March 16, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Proud Rino on March 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Don’t worry, we all know you’ll still vote for him in 2012. The Motherland must be transformed into Utopia, comrade!

fossten on March 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Stereotypes. They exist for a reason.

MNHawk on March 16, 2011 at 7:36 AM

It is an old song with an up date seeing that St Pats is soon.
Barry We Hardly Knew You.
Where are your eyes that were so mild,
When my heart you so beguiled
Why did ye run from me and the child
Oh Barry, We hardly knew ye
A doleful damsel I heard cry,
B Ball is calling,hurroo, hurroo
Barry We hardly knew ye.
Barry,We knew ye now,
Reading O Goate’s will draw ye naught.
Ye’ll have to put with a bowl out to beg,hurroo, hurroo!
Hurroo, hurroo!
Ye’ll have to put with a bowl out to beg fer votes,
Hurroo, hurroo!

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Okay, now it’s time to go looking for that remote cave with a sandy floor to stick your head in and not come out until all these problems go away. Sighhhhhh! Maybe I can lease it to the President.(If not, I’m considering using it myself!)

jeanie on March 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Lack of curiosity?

jcrue on March 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Da homey onee want whas comin to him an what he get for freeeeee!!!

Mr. Grump on March 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Happens every f*cking year.

March Madness, Super Bowl, World Series.

Every president.

Get over it, girls.

Yawn.

Dave Rywall on March 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Here’s hoping “The Final Four” is actually a reference to the current 0Bama Regime’s term of office!

landlines on March 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

It is now getting to the place where just looking at this moron makes my sick to my stomach.

Obama is now THE textbook example of leadership at its absolute worst!

pilamaye on March 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The Walrus and the Carpenter
Were walking close at hand;
They wept like anything to see
Such quantities of sand:
“If this were only cleared away,”
They said, “it would be grand!”

Nothing like a shovel ready project to get your mind off the failure to do the job you were elcted to do. Now…off to Rio where housing starts aren’t down 22%, the Middle East has settled down and the Japanese disastor never took place. I shall put my index fingers in my ears and loudly shout “la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la. There, everything is better.

sdd on March 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM

“How can @BarackObama say he is leading when puts his NCAA bracket over the budget & other pressing issues? http://bit.ly/ieSuCI
-Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus

Beyond moronic.

Dave Rywall on March 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Someone should ask Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky what he thinks.

Dave Rywall on March 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM

In China, you don’t pick Final Four, Gang of Four picks you.

PatMac on March 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

That would be former senator Jim Bunning as of this January. Rand Paul might take the message.

Nosli W. Nevets on March 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM

“Fore!”, commented the putative leader of the free world.

Mason on March 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM

The Neverending story.

ultracon on March 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Whatever respect I had for our president just took a serious beating.

Aronne on March 17, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Mr. Obama commenting on the final, “Fore!”

Mason on March 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM