Bill Clinton blasts drilling and permit delays at forum

posted at 12:15 pm on March 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I think I’m beginning to really miss The Big Me:

Former President Bill Clinton said Friday that delays in offshore oil and gas drilling permits are “ridiculous” at a time when the economy is still rebuilding, according to attendees at the IHS CERAWeek conference.

Clinton spoke on a panel with former President George W. Bush that was closed to the media. Video of their moderated talk with IHS CERA Chairman Daniel Yergin was also prohibited. …

Clinton said there are “ridiculous delays in permitting when our economy doesn’t need it,” according to Noe and others.

This came at the same conference where Clinton made remarks supporting a no-fly zone in Libya and saying that the US should not let Libyan rebels “twist in the wind, as we are now,” as one questioner put the issue to him.  Bill Clinton sounds a lot more like George W. Bush these days than Barack Obama.  In fact, that comparison was easy to make, thanks to Bush’s presence at the conference, and Clinton himself made it:

“Bush said all the things you’d expect him to say” on oil and gas issues, said Jim Noe, senior vice president at Hercules Offshore and executive director of the pro-drilling Shallow Water Energy Security Coalition. But Clinton added, “You’d be surprised to know that I agree with all that,” according to Noe and others in the room.

Both former Presidents agreed that one of the main issues in clearing offshore permits was getting workers back on the job.  And yet, as Jazz Shaw noted yesterday after Obama’s press conference, the number of operating rigs has dwindled sharply since the Deepwater Horizon failure almost a year ago.  We’ve dropped from 55 working rotary rigs in April 2010 to just 25 today.  The permitorium imposed by the Obama administration is the chief reason for the drop, and yet despite a court order, the White House continues to block efforts to get oil workers back on the job of producing American oil for American consumers.

I’ve been missing George Bush for more than two years.  Who knew I’d be missing Bill Clinton by this time?  Let’s hope we don’t get to the point where we’re missing …. Jimmy Carter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Slick’s throwing up a smoke screen. All the dems want to do is talk about the problem and not actually do something about it. It does sound like he may have thrown Zero under the bus, tho.

Kissmygrits on March 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

The media is making this out to be really complicated, all kinds of steps to be taken to set up a no-fly zone. I’m sure they’re taking the White House lead on that narrative.

Paul-Cincy on March 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Bill Clinton only supports a “no fly” zone…

Because interns can hear a zipper being opened from a mile away

Roy Rogers on March 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I already miss Jimmy.

JellyToast on March 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Why aren’t Obama’s numbers lower? Are people just not paying attention?

petunia on March 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Why aren’t Obama’s numbers lower? Are people just not paying attention?

petunia on March 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Axelrod

Full time astro turfing now.

Roy Rogers on March 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM

The Ars in Chief, the Eunuch of them all, is out golfing today, and getting ready to party with the media tonight, while Japan is blowing up and otherwise devastated.

Who needs enemies with idiots like these as ‘friends’?

Schadenfreude on March 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Who is John Galt?

turfmann on March 12, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Me?

Who is John Galt on March 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

He’s softening up the battlespace for Hillary 2012.

Moose Dung on March 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I never thought I would say it, but I do miss Bill Clinton. I remember thinking the world came to an end when he won the election in 1992…how silly I was.

HawaiiLwyr on March 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Well, Slick always said he like’s drilling. I’m talking about oil people. Jeez.

Hummer53 on March 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM

And what was Billy Jeff’s position on oil drilling when he was president?

Gothguy on March 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Didn’t B.J. veto drilling in ANWR back when he was President? I’m glad he’s reversed his position on domestic drilling, but it would’ve been nice if we’d been getting oil out of there for the last 15 years.

Doughboy on March 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I sure seem to remember that being done in 1996.

steveegg on March 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM

He’s softening up the battlespace for Hillary 2012.
Moose Dung on March 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++
To extend that thought, I’m sure a LOT of dem pols are getting earfuls from constituents about the energy mess. If they hang with Obama, it goes nowhere but down for them… Bill is still well regarded by dems, so he might be providing cover for vulnerable dem pols who wish to distance themselves from Obama’s energy “policy”.

fabrexe on March 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Who is John Galt?

turfmann on March 12, 2011 at 1:07 PM
Me?

Who is John Galt on March 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Thread winner for 2011… All year… You hit this one farther than Mickey Mantle could have…

Khun Joe on March 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM

And now on this topic: If Bubba is speaking out like this, Hillary is running in 2012…

“Count it!”

Khun Joe on March 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Let’s hope we don’t get to the point where we’re missing …. Jimmy Carter.

Well, I knew a guy had a wart on his noes for years, when he was 6o his kids put up the money to have it removed for him. A week later the old man said he sorta missed that wart, he just didn’t look right without it.

old war horse on March 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Bill is working on his legacy. He sees how beloved Reagan is and he want to be even more beloved. He is just as radical as Obama. He just failed where Obama succeeded. He thinks he can soften the hearts of conservatives by throwing out some red meat. He’s the one that lied to the Dems so they would push healthcare through.

cubbieblue25 on March 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I would PAY to hear Bill’s off-mic comments about Obama.

I’d empty my bank account.

artist on March 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Obama’s policies have already emptied my bank account.

rmel80 on March 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Something’s got to give here. Not only is he throwing Obama under the bus, but also Hillary, what’s with that? Unless they’re setting it up so Hillary can quit and say that she was just following Obama’s policies and she just can’t do it any more. Then it might make sense because, if she doesn’t do that, she certainly won’t have any credibility to run against him in 2012.

bflat879 on March 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

This is just what Clinton does whenever he’s in a room with people with a common interest. It’s pure blather.

Golden Boy on March 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Bachmann/Palin 2012!

Who is John Galt on March 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

old war horse on March 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM
++++++++++++++++
hahahahaha… whew… hahahahaha

fabrexe on March 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Khun Joe on March 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Email me through my blog or something…yeah, man, I quit a Software Engineering job on Long Island to drive CDL trucks…ask yourself, all of you, Who Is John Galt?

Take yourself from the highest tax bracket, $100k+, to the lowest, ~$30k, and starve the beast. Or at least root for we who can, and do.

Who is John Galt on March 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Clinton is just the lead Actor in the Democrats new production!

2012…….Moderates in Action!

This is the beginning of their attempt to take Palins strongest asset off the table (Energy Independence).

Bill isn’t just talking out of turn here……..PLANNING!!!

PappyD61 on March 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

where Clinton made remarks supporting an no-fly open-fly zone in Libya

FIFY

roy_batty on March 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Clinton, “Miss me yet?”
Slowburn, “Horrifyingly, yes.”

Slowburn on March 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I MISS JIMMY CARTER!!!!

At least he was PRO AMERICA!

PappyD61 on March 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

bflat879 on March 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

He still wants O to serve him coffee. Revenge is also sweet when it’s served cold

ProudPalinFan on March 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM

ProudPalinFan on March 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM

The Federation never should’ve befriended the Klingons. I never trusted them.

JellyToast on March 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I MISS JIMMY CARTER!!!!

At least he was PRO AMERICA!

PappyD61 on March 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

At least he celebrated Christmas. Besides, you know what they say about a broken clock. There’s nothing right with Obama.

JellyToast on March 13, 2011 at 9:25 AM

It escapes me how so many people–including ones on this site–seem to be suffering such devastating memory impairment that to this day they cannot mention the truly catastrophic damage that this degenerate slime is responsible for.

Let’s take it as a given that Clinton’s venal incompetence brought about 9-11. This is a man who spent more money and manpower trying to destroy Bill Gates than Osama bin Laden, who refused opportunities to nab bin Laden because of legal technicalities, who treated the 1992 WTC bombing as a case of domestic law enforcement while at the same time using tanks and poison gas against a building full of women and children in Texas(And if you truly think that those people willingly incinerated themselves just because the administration told us so then you deserve exactly what is happening to this country right now).

Nobody seems to remember Kosovo and Bosnia. This man is a war criminal of the highest order. His administration shoved a ceaseless propaganda and slander campaign against the Serbian people down the throats of the Western world in order to justify our intrusion into a civil war all in an attempt to keep his little whore off the front pages. And most of you idiots bought it, including right wing talk radio. He indiscriminately bombed Serbian schools, hospitals, and historic churches during Orthodox Christian HOLY WEEK, while taking care to cease all hostilities in Iraq during Ramadan. He clandestinely removed the Al Qaeda-linked KLA from the terrorist list so we could become their allies, while throwing a staunch ally in WW2 under the bus who have been fighting against their own extermination by Muslim fanaticism for centuries. What a noble gesture Bill.

And what thanks did we receive from these allegedly innocent victimized Muslims? A plot to blow up Fort Dix and some dead Americans in a car in Germany, lands that were sacred to Serbian Christians for 700 years handed over to a criminal extremist Islamic regime, 200 churches and monasteries destroyed, and Serbian civilians unable to leave their homes without UN guards around.

We shouldn’t be surprised that the media has swept this comopletely under the rug, but the cowardice of the Right in failing to challenge Clinton on this is an unparallelled disgrace.

OlympicLeprechaun on March 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Who is John Galt on March 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I resigned as a MH county (worked in several counties)caseworker a year and a half ago.
No, I wasn’t making the money you were, only about $35.000 plus full benefits(Where I live, that isn’t bad money. We have a very low cost of living compared to other parts of the nation). It was civil service and I was guaranteed the job for life. You have to be a major screw up to get fired there, I was in social services for 17 plus years and couldn’t take it anymore. I felt I was part of the problem. It was a pure waste of tax payer money. The whole system was a scam and a fraud and we were hurting morepeople than helping.

The last straw for me was when I was handed a new client who had murdered people (keeping it vague here) and was let go by the system. He had been in and out of prisons for other offenses, shot another government worker, was actively selling drugs and open about it and my job was to assist this worthless debris to live independently in a community. And then I was told I could not contact any authorities about any of his active criminal behavior because it would be a violation of HIPPA.
I said no. I am finished and I turned in my resignation the next day with nothing else to do but put my name on the local teacher substitution list. I’ve never looked back. But God was good to me. Everybody was telling me I can’t quit a job in the middle of this economy when i have a family. But 7 days after resigning I walked into a long term substitute position at a middle school and this year am working as a commercial painter, plus doing my own thing in the evenings.
The only benefit I’ve gotten from working social services so long is, I’ve seen what the beast looks like from the inside. I have a good understanding now, from personal experience, the waste, fraud, abuse and the bureaucracy of it all. It exists solely for the benefit of itself. It’s purpose is to justify it’s own existence and the to expand and grow. So many times I saw how the simple was made more complex. How two staff would take the place of one staff.
How easily and quickly money would be wasted, and then be followed by still more money and requests for larger budgets.
Well, I’ve rambled.

JellyToast on March 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Well, I’ve rambled.

JellyToast on March 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Thank you for standing up to your principles, JT.

And Welcome to the Club!

WHO IS JOHN GALT!!!!

Who is John Galt on March 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I don’t think Hillary is going to run. Were Hillary to run she should have already resigned and began distancing herself from the One, she has not done that. No, I see this more as a way to make his re-election extremely difficult, if not impossible. The Clintons have a reputation for holding grudges and the One has clearly done a few things to earn the Clinton’s ire.

TQM38a on March 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I’ve been missing George Bush for more than two years. Who knew I’d be missing Bill Clinton by this time? Let’s hope we don’t get to the point where we’re missing …. Jimmy Carter.

Heh. I can’t miss Carter. I see him in Obama every day

Kissmygrits on March 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

He can make this speech because he isnt working for Obama. It helps distance Hillary from the gas price rage attached to the administration. I don’t blame Billy, after the way Obama tore up Clinton’s ‘First Black President’ ID card, and labeled him racist

Clinton probably had a couple burgers and some juicy fries after the speech, and savored them thoroughly. I would have

entagor on March 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Whatever serves the purpose, amiright

Ugly on March 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM

If you thought Clinton wasn’t much different than Gorbachev, who is Obama not much different than?

Speakup on March 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Every one keeps forgetting that he did admit to felonies, on his last day in office. To keep from a trial.

No one has looked at the fraud that had to have happened, because he was dealing with himself. Yet to this day the lawyers involved have not been named.

kraftykeltic on March 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM

This just keeps sounding like a 2012 Hillary defection and presidential bid against Obama. This would be great, because it would keep the libs from voting in our primaries.

jeffn21 on March 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

This guy’s importance ranks right up there with Bill Maher.

He should go away and take his Lovely Wife with him.

TimBuk3 on March 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

The way President Obama is governing, pretty soon we’ll have “Miss Me Yet?” posters with Dick Nixon’s picture.

What an obamateur!

patch on March 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Besides, you know what they say about a broken clock.

Would that be broken as in: the wheels don’t turn?

Or broken as in: someone ripped the hands off the face?

MSimon on March 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM

And what was Billy Jeff’s position on oil drilling when he was president?

Gothguy on March 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

He was in favor of drilling Monica with a cigar.

Steve Z on March 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM