Video: Massive quake hits Japan, tsunami alerts throughout Pacific

posted at 8:40 am on March 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

How bad is it? Dozens of people have already died in a quake that registered 8.8 on the Richter scale — a level that definitely qualifies as The Big One. NBC’s video below shows an English-language report from NHK World, Japan’s public-broadcasting news service, where the reader dispenses the facts with an almost eerie calmness as all hell breaks loose in the clips shown. The shots of the tsunamis sweeping through port cities looks more like a horror movie than a news broadcast, and the death toll noted is almost certain to rise rapidly as rescuers deal with the aftermath:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I lived most of my life in Southern California, where natives take a blasé attitude towards most quakes, but a few of them are memorable.  My first day running an alarm center in Southern California was the day of the Northridge quake seventeen years ago, which only hit 6.7 on the Richter scale and killed 33 people, destroyed a freeway overpass, and did major damage.  The Richter scale is logarithmic, which means that an 8.8 quake released more than 1000 times the energy of a 6.7.

Small wonder this man told CNN that it was nothing like anything he’d felt before:

The magnitude of this quake will generate tsunamis throughout the region, and Hawaii is now bracing for the impact:

Thousands of people have been evacuated from the coast in Hawaii as it braces for a series of tsunamis in the wake of the Japanese earthquake.

The first warning sirens went off at about 2200 local time, (0800GMT Friday) and the first waves were expected at 1307 GMT.

US President Barack Obama said he was monitoring the threat to Hawaii, his home state, and the US West Coast.

About 30,000 residents live in Hawaii’s coastal inundation zones.

The first wave of the tsunami passed through Midway Island – a small atoll at the north-western end of the Hawaiian archipelago – at about 1125 GMT, bringing a wave of more than 8ft, the local Star Advertiser newspaper reported.

The disaster won’t just hit Hawaii and Midway. This is going to keep rolling for some time. We’ll update as developments occur, but be prepared for a humanitarian catastrophe in the Pacific islands.

Update: The Anchoress has a good roundup from earlier this morning with links to Ace, Ed Driscoll, and a nuclear emergency at a power plant, where cooling efforts are “not going as planned.”

Update II: Here’s a video from commenter Dongemaharu of a refinery explosion in Japan:

Update III: The Telegraph has eerie video of a huge whirlpool off of the coast of Japan:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Amazingly, the USGS data shows 15 aftershocks over 6.0 and many dozens over 5.0 in the same specific area since the 8.9 quake.

What I did NOT know was the the 8.9 was preceded by five 6.0+ quakes AND a 7.2 about two days prior…

wccawa on March 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

12.09: The U.S. State Department has moved its embassy operations in Japan to an alternate location and stands ready to provide any assistance needed for earthquake victims.

As above.

gh on March 11, 2011 at 10:07 AM

gh on March 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Okay, thanks, it was silly to think he would be that crass.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Tsunami sirens going off down at Feilds Landing down by the bay. Friends on FB that live there have reported they have been evacuating the town for the past two hours. First Tsunami wave expected to hit land in about 15 minutes.

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Okay, thanks, it was silly to think he would be that crass.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Not all that silly. Still there’s no shortage of ammunition so might as well be accurate.

gh on March 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I guess it’s stupid to say be careful, like there is much you can do, but be careful.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

wccawa on March 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Are you a long time commenter who has been absent for awhile?

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Still there’s no shortage of ammunition so might as well be accurate.

gh on March 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Amen and I sure don’t want to be a contributor, thanks again.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM

This is surreal; like rows of fallen dominoes.

hillbillyjim on March 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Thanks. Much appreciated.

These geology and disaster relief guys are giving live press conferences on TV now and aftershocks are going on during the press conference.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

wccawa on March 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Are you a long time commenter who has been absent for awhile?

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Yes he is.

TexasDan on March 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I really hate it when my Earth Science students get such a terrible object lesson in Plate Tectonics.

Bob's Kid on March 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I’m sailing out of Los Angels on Tuesday to Hawaii, is anyone reporting anything about all of the cruise lines sailing in or around that area?

Stay safe all you folks out there in California.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

TexasDan on March 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I thought so. So good to see him back.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM

The morning news on the radio woke me up as usual but I was sure I was listening to an ad for a TV disaster movie. I can’t imagine the devastation. Does the Salvation Army operate in Japan? Who is the most effective organization to give to?

Eren on March 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Most of the quakes here are shakers, but this one had a really freaky slow wave feeling after the initial shakiness. Like being in one of those wave pools in a water park. Slowly going up and down. I’ve never felt that before.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It will be interesting to see what the vertical acceleration component was on this one.

Glad you’re ok.

TexasDan on March 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM

We were watching the helicopter shots this morning around 3 EST and I was having the worst time making out the pictures since I didn’t have a frame of reference. At one point the wave (for a lack of a better term) started going over farm fields. I wonder what the effect of salt water across those fields does to their long time agricultural use.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I don’t know about long term, but, in the short term, enough salt could make them barren, I think.
And food is already very expensive in Japan.

Count to 10 on March 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM

This year’s crop is gone for those fields, but this is something that we well know about for rice farming in SW Louisiana. Nature will flush out the salt in a year and back to normal in a couple of years.

Kermit on March 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

And I was going to go to Japan (for the first time!) starting April first for a two week vacation in Tokyo. Guess that won’t be happening. (And unless Narita airport closes and cancels the flight, it’ll be a total financial loss.)

A lost vacation is nothing compared to lost lives, though. My thoughts and prayers go out to them. Bodies washing up on shore, I can’t imagine…

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

We were in Jamaica beach TX during Katrina. The surge as amazing. Water was flowing over roads lots of debris. And this was only surge from a hurricane. Trying to imagine this quake and tsunami is horrific

hboulware on March 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I saw the after-effects of both the tsunami wave in Sumatra and the storm surge from Katrina. They were virtually indistinguishable.

TexasDan on March 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM

My daughter was on the flight line at Narita waiting to take off when it hit. terrified is the word she used. Safe but no phone contact – all comm through facebook for most people…

Bradky on March 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Eren on March 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I’m sure they will if they don’t already. They were a tremendous organization to work with in the aftermath of the Indonesian tsunami. I highly recommend them.

TexasDan on March 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Kermit on March 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the information. It’s good to know that at least that won’t be part of the long term devastation.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

TexasDan, yeah it was bad. I just meant the sheer area of tsunami damage. Katrina was mostly contained in the gulf. This is so much larger.

hboulware on March 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Bradky on March 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Praying for a safe return home!

milwife88 on March 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Bradky on March 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I’m glad she’s okay.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Cindy&milwife,
Thanks appreciate that.

Bradky on March 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

The Daily Mail is saying a bullet train with 400 passengers may have been swept away :(

Sharke on March 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Bradky on March 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I don’t know what would be worse: being in the earthquake, or simply knowing that someone you love was in it. Glad to hear she’s fine.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Haven’t heard anything as far as the vessels Knuck. I’m guessing it would be almost safer in the deep seas than those along the shorelines—that’s where the surge comes from.

Just heard from a local live reporter on the phone up in Crescent City: No signs of any visable surge.

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Thanks, I’m hearing reports that people are moving their docked vessels out to deeper water and away from the ports. Fox is also reporting the first wave has hit Oregon.

I have no idea what happens to these big cruise ships out in the Pacific or how well they’ll roll with the waves.

And now they’re warning about the many after shocks to come.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Don’t know if it is possible but could you donate your flight to someone wanting to get back home to Japan (for a funeral etc)?

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

And now they’re warning about the many after shocks to come.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Japan will have aftershocks for more than a month, and they could be bad in the first week, then usually subside in magnitude.

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I’m not sure if that’s possible, but it’s definitely worth looking into.

I had also had the hotel booked, so there’s that cost, too, but again, it’s hard to feel disappointed when all this destruction is only affecting your vacation rather than your life or home. It’s small potatoes in comparison.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Who needs a flight? Perhaps I can help, my son is a pilot for a major carrier.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

You can probably still go.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, but would it be safe? I’m also not sure how bad the damage in Tokyo is overall.

I feel like a jerk for even worrying about the trip now, honestly.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I feel like a jerk for even worrying about the trip now, honestly.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Are you going with a tour company?

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

It might not be much of a vacation and certainly wouldn’t be representative of what “normal” Japan is but maybe you have some skill or expertise they could benefit from. I wouldn’t give up on the trip just yet.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I spoke to a friend at the USAF Air Mobility Command’s operations center at Scott AFB, IL and he advised that they are lining up every available heavy lift USAF airframe for the expected request for immediate assistance from the Japanese.

Yokota Air Base, a USAF base in Japan has been open to commercial aircraft that was unable to land at Narita airport.

I suspect in the coming days Yokota will become vital to the air bridge that is now being put into place.

Yokota is a AMC base so that means they already have the people on the ground (Tanker AirLift Control Element) to immediately start organizing the air lift efforts.

Our USAF is the only air force in the world that can handle these kinds of disasters which means, as in Haiti, our men and women in the USAF will be moving literally tons of supplies in a very short amount of time.

God bless them.

E9RET on March 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Don’t know anything yet- our school is 1/4 Japanese with most coming straight from Japan. I told my daughter about the earthquake and tsunami so that she was prepared to give hugs to teachers/friends who are worried etc.

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I have some friends at Yokota and my wife talked to them last night, and said it was the only airport open for a while.

Haven’t heard much about Narita. You actually go down from narita to Tokyo.

Also, spoke to family that are stationed near Yokohama and they said there was a lot of shaking, and nerves frazzled.

ConservativePartyNow on March 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM

And now they’re warning about the many after shocks to come.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

In the deep water you won’t even notice it. They don’t get noticeable until it pushes up as the water gets shallower.

Corsair on March 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Knuckle – my husband and I booked through Delta trips (he gets a discount through work), but it’s not a tour group.

Cindy – If I had any expertise to offer, I’d consider it. I’m just a computer nerd, and that’s about as far as my “expertise” goes for anything.

I guess I feel guilty for even worrying or feeling bad about the trip possibly not happening. I mean, let’s see: no trip versus earthquakes/tsunami/death… I feel like a total jerk.

I still can’t get over the mental image of bodies washing up on shore.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Prayers for the people of Japan.

sandee on March 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I feel like a jerk for even worrying about the trip now, honestly.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

From what I saw, it seemed the damage to Tokyo was fairly limited. The areas hit hardest are further up the coast.

The Japanese are pretty resilient. I’d expect Tokyo to be mostly back to normal shortly.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Corsair on March 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Thanks, I rode thru Hurricane Rick last year, don’t want to do that anytime soon.

Link to status of all cruise lines.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

They have some amazing technology in the major cities built into their infrastructure to deal with earthquakes, that’s for sure. If I remember correctly, part of the reason the Kobe quake had such a high death toll was due to the fact that a lot of the buildings were the old, traditional style with heavy roofs, along with the fact that it was a mealtime, and a lot of Japanese stoves are still gas stoves. Gas pipes burst and set off a lot of fires.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Don’t feel like a jerk. Everyone puts tragedy into their own context, it is human nature. I just saw a headline that said there 88,000 people missing. I know it is early yet but Japan may not be accepting visitors other than rescue for months to come, it’s hard to tell. They are smart, resourceful people, wait and see.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM

You’ll get a refund or at least a rebook if you choose not to go or if Delta trips thinks it’s usafe to travel there. I had a trip scheduled for October to go back to Egypt. The tour companies are giving full refunds through the end of the year, no questions asked.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I saw that headline. I really, really hope that number is only high due to people not being able to use phones or something similar.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I can’t stop thinking about the children of Japan.

Yeah, they practice earthquake/tsunami preparedness, but NOTHING, IMO, can prepare a child for those images.

Not to mention the children who are lost, or whose parents are lost.

What a tragedy. God have mercy on us all, and lend Your comfort and support.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

ConservativePartyNow

It is an important base any time but even more so now. The fact that the base’s primary function is airlift is a HUGE advantage. There is no “learning curve” normally encountered when working with people unfamiliar with the workings of disaster airlift (Once again, Haiti comes to mind)

In addition, they already have the specialized unloading equipment on hand. Usually the first 2-4 aircraft has to bring in the equipment and people.

This is a terrible disaster but it happened in what is the most prepared country in the world with massive emergency infrastructure.

God alone knows what a disaster of this magnitude would cause in the U.S.

E9RET on March 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I feel like a jerk for even worrying about the trip now, honestly.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

New Zealand is terrified that tourists will stay away due to the Christchurch quake since their economy is heavily dependent on tourism. Your trip might be ok depending on how bad the damage is in major cities and it will take at least a few days before that is clear.

gh on March 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I hope so to. It all just looks so awful.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

All flights out of LAX to Japan have been canceled per Fox.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I feel like a jerk for even worrying about the trip now, honestly.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Well, Tokyo is usually safe. I wouldn’t worry about it. The odds of something happening while you’re here are incredibly low, I’m sure. The damage in the city isn’t too bad. What they’ll be doing though is checking the structural integrity of thousands of buildings around the city, which will take a long time.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

NRO has this:

The magnitude 8.9 earthquake that struck Friday off the coast of Japan “is going to be among the top 10 earthquakes recorded since we have had seismographs,” said seismologist Susan Hough of the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena.

linking:

gh on March 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Curious, what area of the city do you live in? I used to live in Magome (near south end of the Toei Asakusa line), then Hatanodai (not far away).

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Newest headline state 1000 probably dead. I guess compared to a possible 88,000 that should be comforting but it isn’t. Horrible.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

gh on March 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Never mind … I had the impression from NRO that there was more to the article than I found when I read it.

gh on March 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I just saw a map of how many people died and where. In Tokyo, 4 people died. All together about 150, so far. These are only confirmed deaths at this point. It’ll probably go up a lot. But most people in that “missing” number are stranded, with no way to get in touch with anyone. Many phone services are still out or jammed.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Magome? Near Shinagawa? Actually, I was in that area(near Kawasaki) this morning.

I live in Nakano-ku about 10 minutes from Shinjuku on the Seibu Shinjuku line.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I live in Nakano-ku about 10 minutes from Shinjuku on the Seibu Shinjuku line.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

It’s Ota-ku, but near Shinagawa-ku. Hatanodai is Shinagawa-ku.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Every station has different fatality figures now.

The aftershocks have finally died down, thankfully.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Just terrible, keep them in your prayers.

wi farmgirl on March 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

New video of the refinery explosion. WTH, some guy walking by on his cell doesn’t even notice it.

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM

NHK stream (Japanese)

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Dongemaharu on March 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Y’all are amazing. I don’t think I could ever live outside of the U.S., probably my old age talking.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Great. According to NHK stream they’re going to have to vent some air from one of the nuclear plants and it may contain a small amount of radioactive material.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

air -> steam

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Per Fox the cooling system is failing.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Per Fox the cooling system is failing.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The guys on NHK explaining the vent has filters to trap radioactive material, but it’s possible there could be a small amount released. It didn’t sound like it’s going to be a huge deal, but definitely will make propaganda for anti-nuke people.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I guess it is safe the nuclear plants will be off the table in the U.S.. Not that they were on it anyway……

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Huge earthquakes like this produce wave amplitudes thousands of times larger than small tremors.
That’s why the Richter scale is logarithmic.
So a 10-fold increase in wave amplitude corresponds to an increase of 1 on the magnitude scale.
For instance, the shaking a 5 magntidue e-quake does is 10 times greater than what a magnitude 4 e-quake produces.
IN ADDITION: each unit of magnitude on the Richter scale is roughly = to a 32-fold energy increase.
So for example, an e-quake with a magnitude of 6.5 releases 32 times more energy than an e-quake with a magnitude of 5.5, & about 1000 times more energy than an e-quake with a magnitude of 4.5.
Hope this helps you all understand how nasty an e-quake this large is compared to a tremor.
Compared to a tremor, a quake like this releases millions of times more energy.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Currently on NHK screen, more than 350 dead, 550 missing

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Did you feel anything at all yet over there?

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Just now another aftershock, around magnitude 6 centered in Niigata prefecture, in east Honshu.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Did you feel anything at all yet over there?

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Sorry, west honshu

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Now another one in Ibaraki and Chiba prefectures but just about magnitude 4.

DarkCurrent on March 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Nasty times over there.
My father’s former foreign exchange student, Nunami, is over there (her hubby’s an American Airman).
She is like a daughter to him & he was going over there this summer to visit.
I dearly hope she & her family are OK.
I can’t even remember where they live, but I don’t think they live too far from Tokyo.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

How long do the aftershocks usually last/keep appearing? I live in Wisconsin, so I’m used to tornadoes and snowstorms, but not much else.

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

JediArashi on March 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Weeks or months. The 1811/1812 New Madrid earthquake lasted for a long time. And you will not be immune if the New Madrid fault blows again, which is long overdue.
1811/1812 New Madrid Earthquake.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Maybe not.
This is one paper.
I have read several regarding the ‘shut-down’ of this fault.
That’s not to say there isn’t striain bulding up in other area further away from it, like in IL.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I hope they’re right. I lived on that fault line which also runs thru Kentucky and couldn’t afford quake insurance. If it does decide to blow, the damage will be devastating from Tennessee all the way up to Chicago.

Knucklehead on March 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Thanks for all that are praying. My family and friends in Japan are fine so far as I know. I likely won’t get returns to some of my e-mails until tonight (and maybe not for a while due to blackouts).

I’d like some of you to remember a friend of a friend who lives in Sendai. I don’t know them personally, but prayers are appreciated. He’s disappeared as far as contacts go, but that could be due to communication issues. As I said, many my friends/acquaintances have not replied yet to attempted communication, but I’m approaching this as no news is good news.

Here’s a way to help beyond only praying.

Pattosensei on March 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Eren on March 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

The Salvation Army and Red Cross are always great organizations to donate to.

I also highly recommend the LDS Emergency Response Fund.

Conservative Samizdat on March 11, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Badger40

If the husband is stationed at Yokota they should be alright. You can follow the base’s activities here http://www.yokota.af.mil/index.asp

I AM concerned for our folks at Misawa AB since it was very near the point where the tsunamis came in.

E9RET on March 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM

“As of 8 p.m., the base remained almost completely black, save for some buildings with generator back-up. All we can assume is people are hunkering down and bundling up because there’s no heat. It’s brutal.

“There were two big fears: one, that the tsunami would reach far enough inland — two miles — to swamp the base.

“The second was the nuclear power plant Rokkasho. (The Rokkasho nuclear reprocessing facility was being powered by emergency diesel generators. No other unusual events or radiation leaks have been reported.)

“There’s a bunch of cold, miserable and scared people, wrapped in blankets, and waiting for the next aftershock.

As we spoke, Flack was making sure his kids were warm enough; he had moved his whole family into his office for the night, which others in his building had also done.

Then, another wave of aftershocks.

“I gotta go.”

That was a press release from Misawa AB, Japan from the Stars and Stripes

I’m looking for more current info.

E9RET on March 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Kinda skimmed over the comments; hopefully noone’s made any dumbass comments about Pearl Harbour or whaling

Reaps on March 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM