NRSC says it’s not exactly ready for Senator Joe; Update: That’s not what they told me, says Joe

posted at 12:15 pm on March 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I actually might oppose this for all the wrong reasons.  Shouldn’t MSNBC have at least one host that isn’t nuts?

Republicans in Washington are trying to recruit Joe Scarborough to run against Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) next year.

Sen. John Cornyn (Texas), who heads the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), told The Hill on Thursday that he has talked to Scarborough a couple times about a Senate bid. And he indicated he’s still working on persuading the MSNBC host to run for the upper chamber.

“I’d be delighted to talk to him a third time,” Cornyn said.

That was The Hill’s take last night.  This morning, as Jim Geraghty reports in an update (via Allahpundit), the NRSC says The Hill got this “dead wrong”:

This story is 100% false.  They had a casual conversation last cycle about Joe possibly running for the New York Senate seat.  That was the context of the Senator’s comments yesterday – not Florida – and unfortunately The Hill got this dead wrong.  We already have plenty of great candidates looking at the Florida Senate race and the NRSC is neutral.   We’re confident any one of them can beat Bill Nelson in 2012.

Cornyn has apparently learned from his disastrous recruitment of Charlie Crist.  In that case, Cornyn both recruited and endorsed Crist through the NRSC, and then watched as Crist flopped in the primary and then bailed out of the GOP to make an independent run against Marco Rubio — and utterly embarrassed himself and Cornyn in the process.  Scarborough’s independent pose at MSNBC would have put another recruit in the same position, and this time starting off with one foot out the door.

George LeMieux did a credible job as interim replacement for Mel Martinez, and he wants to run again for Bill Nelson’s position.  Jeb Bush appears at least open to coming off the bench to do the same.   State Senate leader Mike Haridopolos is also mulling a run, hoping to emulate Rubio’s success in 2010.  More candidates might arise as well without recruiting any more, and the entry of a celebrity independent by national organizations might act to push better candidates out of the race.

Scarborough does a good job just to survive in MSNBC’s poisonous atmosphere, and he offers a decent forum for conservatives on a network that is mainly allergic to the Right.  For that, he gets a lot of grief from all sides, but I’d say he’s more valuable where he’s at than in the US Senate.  Unless both LeMieux and Bush are planning to sit this out, I’m unclear why anyone would seriously attempt to recruit candidates from network news shows, including the former Congressman at MSNBC.

Update: Scarborough says he loves his current job and has no desire to run for office again, but that Cornyn and the NRSC aren’t being truthful in their denials:

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough on Friday said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) has asked him about running against Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) in 2012.

Scarborough said in an interview with The Hill, “John suggested last month that I consider running for the Senate against Bill Nelson. His intent was clear and unambiguous and echoed his quotes in The Hill. However, I love the job I have and have no intention of running for the Senate.” …

In his tweet in response to The Hill’s initial story, Cornyn wrote, “Rumor control: Last cycle, Joe and I talked about his interest in NY, not FL Senate race, so this story is wrong.”

Is it that easy to believe that the NRSC didn’t learn their lesson from Crist?  Well, yes, it is.

Comments

Thank goodness. You are much more kind to Joe than I would be, Ed. I hope you are right about him, and not I.

JimP on March 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

morning joe is nauseating..scarby has gone native at msnbc. he’s such a jock sniffer and egomaniac..all he wants is for the NY intelligencia to like him. a pathetic poseur.

DrW on March 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

What would Mika do?

portlandon on March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Joe and Huckabee should co-host a new talk show: Talking with Idiots.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

What would Mika do?

portlandon on March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Go back to reporting weather and traffic on the radio.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

but I’d say he’s more valuable where he’s at than in the US Senate.

Funny, I’d say he’s more valuable as a greeter at Walmart.

Tim Zank on March 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Survive the poisonous atmosphere? I’d say he occasionally contributes to it.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

He does nothing but say “when I was there” and “we did…” like he is the most famous member of Congress ever. I can’t stand him. I can’t stand his mocking of Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann, or that blonde idiot with him. As I’ve said before, when Marco Rubio was running, Mr. Everything here could not even mention his name he was so bloody jealous and determined to spoil Rubio’s star turn with Charlie Crist.

Marcus on March 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Scarborough isn’t nuts? When was that determined? I guess that means you are attributing his idiocy and dumb statements to being…and idiot and dumb? Can that be right?

georgealbert on March 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Ed said:

Scarborough makes David Frum look like Rush Limbaugh. Not only does he mock and insult Palin and other conservatives on a regular basis, he’s supported the GZ Mosque, compared the AZ law to Nazism, supported the unions in WI, etc. He’s a sellout who should be shunned by conservatives everywhere.

Jon0815 on March 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Cornyn has apparently learned from his disastrous recruitment of Charlie Crist.

Thank goodness…I might’ve started worrying about JetBoy’s hat collection again.

ted c on March 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Scarborough wouldn’t even qualify as a moderate Republican and has sat through too many years of liberal poison—damaged goods. I would not support this man even in a liberal district.

Rovin on March 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Joe Squishy makes Richard Lugar look like a conservative.

rickyricardo on March 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Phew! Go back and read folks’ comments in this morning’s HA headlines. We owe Big John an apology on this one.

Still a good man, and a good Texan.

publiuspen on March 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Ed you are correct on your desription of MSNBC but it appears your standard for what constitutes a “decent forum” is a lot lower than mine.

IMO Joe makes his disdain for any GOP group other than the squishiest of RINOs pretty clear.

katiejane on March 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

He’s part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Knott Buyinit on March 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I would take Crist over Joe.

angryed on March 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

WTF?

NoNails on March 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

WTF?

NoNails on March 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Well said – +1

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Why would Joe “No Labels” Scarborough want to acquire a label?

I R A Darth Aggie on March 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

“Gag a maggot” comes to mind.

humdinger on March 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Nick Loeb for Senate!

…and here’s why:

Sofia Vergara discusses boyfriend Nick Loeb’s political future

I’d go to those campaign rallies with Sophia & Nick. I’m a deep thinker like that. ;)

ornery_independent on March 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Heh…He’s allergic to conservatives…And yes, he does serve a purpose staying on msnbc…

Gohawgs on March 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Joe Scarborough is now a Hatefilled Leftist posing as not even a conservative but a moderate. He turned me off a long time ago. At this point there is not one single show I watch on MSDNC or CNN. As a matter of fact there isn’t much I’m watching on Fox either… I don’t care for Tokyo Rove, Dana Perrino, Nicolle Wallace, Tucker Carlson, BOR, Bernie Goldberg, Dick Morris, LaMont Hill, Beckles, Colmes… or their opinions! I watch Special Report but just for the news because I don’t care for the “panel” either.

CCRWM on March 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM

That’s a pretty lame statement even for a RINO an establishment Republican like Ed.

Scarborough is easy to spot. He’s the guy with “for sale” sign hanging around his neck sitting next to a dumb blond bimbo whose favorite “founding father” is Abraham Lincoln.

bw222 on March 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Nick Loeb for Senate!

…and here’s why:

Sofia Vergara discusses boyfriend Nick Loeb’s political future

ornery_independent on March 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

She is a looker – and a very good comedic actress, too.

Blake on March 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Joe running? As what, a Progressive Socialist? There’s not a Conservative bone in his body, and he’s a snarky narcissist as well. Perfect for a Czar’s position though with Comrade Zero……….”The “I don’t know sh#t” position.

adamsmith on March 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Scarborough does a good job just to survive in MSNBC’s poisonous atmosphere, and he offers a decent forum for conservatives on a network that is mainly allergic to the Right. For that, he gets a lot of grief from all sides, but I’d say he’s more valuable where he’s at than in the US Senate. Unless both LeMieux and Bush are planning to sit this out, I’m unclear why anyone would seriously attempt to recruit candidates from network news shows, including the former Congressman at MSNBC.

So Scar gets a pass for folding under pressure?

Hey, it’s hard to be principled in an environment when nobody likes you./

A squish is a squish.

pugwriter on March 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You know, it is true that one’s principles can be compromised by those one chooses to associate with. Which is why it is better to avoid those associations as much as possible.

When one associates too often with establishment GOP lackeys, it shows.

pugwriter on March 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Does Cornyn have access to a television?

TugboatPhil on March 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I do not believe a word the NRSC says any more.
Cornyn is a liar.

He lied when he said he would not choose sides in the 2010 Florida senate primary if there was a contender. He then endorsed Crist even though Rubio had already announced his run.

Then he jumped on the bandwagon.

Nelsa on March 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

AND! I was just proved correct about the NRSC.
Joe Scarborough just said he was courted by the NRSC!

I knew I was right.

How ’bout an update ED?

Nelsa on March 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Joe Scarborough and Charlie Crist, yes, a find set of Republicans. Both Liberals and both lack any character.Obviously both are only in it for themselves. What is with Sen. Cornyn, is he a complete idiot? The right should just reject any one Cornyn picks. He certainly has no idea what a conservative is. This is the kind of thing that will put us back in the mess that the Bush’s left us in. A party completely out of power and watching the socialist run the county into the ground. I guess next Cornyn will want Jeb for president.Dont want no more RINOS

pwb on March 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Sen. Cornyn is the problem…Joe shouldn’t be allowed in gallery of the Senate.

d1carter on March 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM

And one of the main reasons Scarborough survives is that he’s a dim bulb and not all that threatening to the left. The last thing the GOP needs is one more half retarded quisling.

RadClown on March 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Scarborough in New York would be fine (speaking as a New Yorker) since we’re going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a statewide candidate that can win in New York that isn’t named Rudy.

Scarborough in Florida would be like shooting yourself in the face just for thrills.

Red Cloud on March 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I have to assume that Sen. Cornyn isn’t enjoying the calls and emails coming into his office.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

If Scarborough runs, is he going to challenge Bill Nelson in the primaries?

I’d have no qualms about voting for either Jeb or Lemeiux.

John Deaux on March 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Scarborough is a complete joke. What really cracks me up is the black & white photos of him and Mika that is shown during commercial breaks. LOL!!! Those 2 thinks they’re rock stars–him with the turtlenecks, Ray-Ban shades and jeans; and Mika trying to look like a modern-day Audrey Hepburn or something. Oh, and don’t forget the bored, far-away look in their eyes to make us all think they are sooo intellectually deep. HaHaHa!!!

KickandSwimMom on March 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Can you fellow Texans get rid of this guy for us? When is he up for reelection again?

silvernana on March 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

What would Mika do?

portlandon on March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I know, she looks/sounds less inept with Joe by her side :-)…

jimver on March 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM

WOW ED!!

Your RINOism really showed with this post. Joe Scarborough is the enemy of conservatism. Far more than any liberal. His ‘conservative’ cover provides MSNBC, Politico and the rest of the pro left to slam conservatism, i.e. Joe is a smart conservative and the rest are lunatics.

His job every morning is to defend Obama from attacks on the right, and then proceed to attack Palin, Bachmann, Beck, Limbaugh, Levin, et al.

kevinkristy on March 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Joe really is a joke. I can’t stand that guy. Total lightweight. It’s an embarrassment that he calls himself a conservative when he’ll take every opportunity to bash real conservatives on that loon of a network.

therightwinger on March 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

he offers a decent forum for conservatives

but I’d say he’s more valuable where he’s at than in the US Senate

This is almost starting to get fun. alah and ed are actually putting little hints in their posts now to see if the bell goes on for anyone about what their true political phoilosophy is. scarborough is about as conservative as arlen spector. To ed, his “good friend” joe scarborough is a valuable conservative.

peacenprosperity on March 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Still a good man, and a good Texan.

publiuspen on March 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Apologize if you want, but Cornyn most likely fell back into old establishment habits untill his phone and email melted down this morning. He’s the one that should be apologizing.

silvernana on March 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

You bet! We have a a few good candidates running for Kay Bailey Hutchison’s seat so there should be a good leftover to primary Cornyn. Can you say Ted Cruz?(assuminghoping Michael Williams wins Kay’s).

cartooner on March 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Let this twit run in the No Labels party.

lonestar1 on March 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM

silvernana on March 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

2014.

steebo77 on March 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Don’t believe anything that comes out of Cornyn’s mouth.

lonestar1 on March 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I just went to cornyns senate website and sent him an e-mail;

Hello,

I am not a constituent of Sen. Cornyn but I am a resident of Florida. I am writing to request that the Senator mind his own business and stay out of Florida politics. When I first became aware of Charlie Crist in the late 90′s it was very apparent that he was an unprincipled, unethical, liberal professional politician and I never once voted for him for state wide office. Unfortunately the republican machine here in Florida did a lousy job and not enough voters paid attention soon enough and we were punished with a governor whose actions very likely helped elect the first communist president this country has had. Senator Cornyn, with that example of Crist’s dupilicitous nature as well as a full term of liberal policies to contemplate decided to endorse that creepy liberal. Now Senator Cornyn apparently wants to meddle in our states’ politics once again and encourage someone, who makes a living attacking conservatives every morning, to run for the senate in Florida. Please tell the Senator to mind his own business. The last thing we need is a television celebrity liberal as our senator. Please tell the senator that if he has too much free time on his hands he should call Rep. Bachman from Minnesota and she may be able to instruct him on how to spend that time in a constructive manner that actually will benefit the American people and his constituents in Texas.

peacenprosperity on March 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Cornyn voted for Timmy “turbo tax” Geithner. He said Timmy was the only one qualified for the job and he needed to get to work ASAP.
We’re stuck with him til 2014.

lonestar1 on March 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Joe and Huckabee should co-host a new talk show: Talking with Idiots.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Naw, it would never work, unless they had 9 reruns to fill up the 30 minute time block.

belad on March 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

peacenprosperity on March 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

ornery_independent on March 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

In politics, ‘no intention’ usually means ‘yes’.

YYZ on March 11, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Once again, Ed slithers into the land of the RINO, proudly.

Scarborough is a complete douchebag. Leav

Jaibones on March 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM

(my laptop keyboard hates me)

Jaibones on March 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Stuff like this is why I stopped donating to the national organizations (NRSC & RNC) and give my money directly to candidates I support. We need grounded, real conservatives running for office. No more RINOs and hate-spewing lefties please!

ConservativeMom on March 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Cornyn may be courting him for FLORIDA? I just assumed it was NY, not Florida! GTFO, we just got Rubio elected there and the state went Red last November, why go for Scarborough of all people?

I always liked Scarborough but he showed his weakness and shortsightedness with the Wisconsin CB issue where he scolded Walker for asking for too much. This is not the guy we want in the Senate from a state ripe to elect another Conservative.

Daemonocracy on March 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Perhaps there’s an opportunity here: merely creating the appearance of Tea Party support for a Senator-Joe should make for months of entertainment!

I’d donate a buck.

CaveatEmpty on March 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM

As a Florida resident, I’ll tell you that the sell-out Joe is not electable as a Republican in this state; and I am living in this two-faced TV host’s home town. I will not vote for him! There are too many betrayed Floridians to support this piece of crud.

GOP better find someone else!!!

aigle on March 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Daemonocracy on March 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I guess you liked him when Charlie Crist went Independent is an effore to ruin Marco Rubio, and Moaning Joe practically did a jig and shot off a confettii canon on his show. “This is what the people WANT! This is a new era!” When Rubio ultimately lead in the polls at the end, they just ignored there was a Senate race in Florida.

I voted for Coprnyn all the way back to put him on the Supreme Court of Texas (where he came from). I just let him also have it nice and good at his website.

Marcus on March 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

THIS TWIT IS A GRAZER.

I WANT MEAT-EATERS REPRESENTING MY COUNTRY.

nimrod on March 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Marcus on March 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I don’t remember Scarborough doing anything like that, had I been aware of it then I would have given up on him then. He has grated on my nerves more and more for the past year especially but I still liked him as a person and respected him for being one of the few Republican voices during the Bush years to actually give a damn about the deficit and spending. I even heard Rush, and I listend to his show regularly, make a defense of deficit spending and pointing to the Reagan years as an example, so I was happy Scarborough spoke out at the time.

I rarely watch his show anymore though, he’s become a no labels squish, and I would NEVER want him to be a Senator from a state like Florida.

Daemonocracy on March 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Is it that easy to believe that the NRSC didn’t learn their lesson from Crist? Well, yes, it is.

What do you expect from a bunch of rhino-pushing morons like the NRSC?

woodNfish on March 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Why is Cornyn still head of the NRSC, again? Aside from a few bright spots, the Senate election results were underwhelming, with very winnable races in NV, CO, etc lost.

changer1701 on March 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

This is actually one of the most stupid and clueless Morrissey quotes in a while.

sartana on March 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM

text “Red Cross” to 90999

Help Japan people.

JustJP on March 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Do you mean to say there is not ONE good republican cantidate in the entire state of Florida? I can see it all now, the GOP is going to blow it big time for 2012. I think I’m going to be sick.

Tonynoboloney on March 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM

If the NRSC is even _considering_ idiot-Joe as a candidate, then we are still losing the battle to instill some conservatism in the the GOP. Scarborough is a complete fool, as well a hopeless, not-even-trying-to-look-like-he-might-even-be-a-Conservative. Why do we need more of this dreck lying in the way of fixing things?

It feels like we are going back down the road to GOP-crapland, once again.

seanrobins on March 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Is it a compliment to be invited to be a lap dog?

Theworldisnotenough on March 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM

What does this say about Joe’s politics? He is always on the defense about his conservatism. Yet he is asked by a Republican known to be of the in the beltway culture to run for office. We know who you are Joe even if you do not.

Theworldisnotenough on March 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

A note to the NRSC –

As a Florida Republican voter, I’m telling you that I will not vote for Scarborough. I won’t vote for Nelson, but I will leave that spot on my ballot blank. Period. End of discussion.

Gator Country on March 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Don’t go away mad Joe, just simply go away.

WordsMatter on March 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM