Bill Clinton: We shouldn’t be letting the Libyan rebels twist in the wind

posted at 2:15 pm on March 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Remember when Barack Obama decided against putting Hillary Clinton on the ticket as his running mate, and overcame his reluctance to tie himself to the Clintons to eventually make her his Secretary of State? This is why:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been cautiously occupying the fence on whether the United States should help establish a no-fly zone over Libya—falling in line with Obama administration policy to build international consensus before deciding what to do.

But the secretary’s husband, former president Bill Clinton, came out strongly Thursday night for the controversial military measure to help the Libyan rebels in their struggle to topple Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

“We have the planes to make an appropriate contribution to this,” the 42nd president told an influential dinner crowd attending Newsweek & The Daily Beast’s Women in the World summit at Manhattan’s Millennium Hotel. “I wouldn’t do it if they hadn’t asked,” Clinton said, referring to anti-Gaddafi rebel leaders who have publicly and repeatedly requested the no-fly zone to stop bombardment from Gaddafi’s air force. “We should do it.”

Clinton, sporting a dark three-piece suit and a bright yellow tie, argued that Gaddafi himself has already internationalized the conflict by hiring foreign mercenaries “at $2,000 a day,” to kill Libyans. “It’s not a fair fight,” the former president said, under questioning by Newsweek and Daily Beast Editor in Chief Tina Brown. “They’re being killed by mercenaries. I think we should support them.”

Clinton goes farther than that in this video from the same conference, however. While saying that he had “sympathy” for the administration’s difficult position, Bill Clinton explicitly criticizes Obama for letting the rebels “twist in the wind like we’re doing,” as the questioner puts it:

Clinton differs from Obama in that he is more of a Wilsonian interventionist, as evidenced in the botched Somalia operation against the warlords in 1993 and the more successful interventions in the Balkans.  Obama still hasn’t quite decided what he is — and it shows.  This also shows why Obama was so reluctant to tie himself to the Clintons, as this puts Obama squarely in the shadow of Clinton, whose foreign policy at least had the virtue of coherence.

Comments

It’s a pretty sad day when I wistfully wish for the Clinton days again.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

“We should do it.”

That’s TWICE in my lifetime that I’ve agreed with Bill Klinton … this … and Operation Desert Fox.

Tony737 on March 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

It’s a pretty sad day when I wistfully wish for the Clinton days again. – Badge

Did you ever think? I mean, if, somebody would’ve told you 20 years ago that someday you’d be WISHING for Klinton …

Tony737 on March 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Palin/Clinton 2012?

Doughboy on March 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM

hboulware on March 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

He hasn’t shared a pillow with Hillary in a loooooong time.

You’d think they’d communicate by phone, e-mail, or whatever…

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hmmmm….good idea, Bill.

Lets move the US forces in the Balkans to Libya. You do remember the Balkans, don’t ya?

BobMbx on March 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

+2 Billy Jeff.

Heh. How’s my a$$ look from down there, Obama?
/Billy Jeff

ted c on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

“Obama still hasn’t quite decided what he is — and it shows.”

Dithering in Chief…

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Tell that to your wife and that thing in the WH!

lonestar1 on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

… like we did the Iranian protesters…

Bubba Clinton

Khun Joe on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I never thought I would miss Bill but, I’m reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I do. Can we have him back until 2012? – hboulware on March 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I’ll agree with that. President Present should be retired today.

SC.Charlie on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Didn’t Obama send Bill Clinton to the podium to finish his economic press conference a couple of months ago?

portlandon on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

It’s a pretty sad day when I wistfully wish for the Clinton days again.
-Badger40

Wait until you are wishing for Carter. That day is coming.

The Chewbacca Defense on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Did Bill get caught being pleasured in the French arts again?

It is Alien vs, Predator, eat popcorn, enjoy the show. Offer a bowl of Skittles to the winner. The oil is still black.

BL@KBIRD on March 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Back in the day, he would’ve been fetching us coffee. Today, I’m eating his lunch.
/Billy Jeff

ted c on March 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM

From a man who refused to take Osama bin Laden on a platter – at least twice. From the same man who changed Saddam’s conditions of probation to suit Saddam, about 16-17 times.

Karmi on March 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Obama still hasn’t quite decided what he is — and it shows.

Easy, he’s an Eunuch in Chief, a narcissistic one.

Not one U.S. American Soldier’s life is worth to be sacrificed for the wild 7th century ones. Let them fight for their own freedom.

However, a man with steely ones is the antithesis of Obama. His are featherlight. May the media suffocate in his ars.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

President Clinton vs. President Obama…

The old talk show host Bruce Williams use to say, when dealing with government officials, if you have the choice between corrupt and irrational, go with corrupt. At least you can understand the motivation.

I think the same could be said for corrupt versus incompetent.

AndrewsDad on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Palin/Clinton 2012?

Doughboy on March 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM

You must always specify which Clinton.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

OMG, Slick Willie looks awful in that picture.

Mary in LA on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Barry and Slick Willie are fighting over the Presidential Podium again.

mizflame98 on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Bill is big on no-fly zones. His Oval Office was either button fly or just unzipped depending on which intern he had a meeting with.

Hening on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

His opinion means as much to me as it means to Obama.

SKYFOX on March 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Confirms what I said during the primaries: Bill wanted Hillary in the WH so he could play at being president (and pick up chicks).

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Tony737 on March 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Heh. I’ll take bodily fluids in the WH any day over insanity.

Let them fight for their own freedom.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Tho I may perversely miss Bill, I do have to agree with you here.
Let these crazy ba$tard$ free themselves.
The oppressed & the oppressors over there are all crazy as he!! & IMHO are not worth saving.
Screw ‘em all.
Let’s just contain the madness.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

No Libya. Europe’s problem. Let the French et al deal with it.

jeanie on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

What part of EX-President do you not understand?

Caststeel on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Obama still hasn’t quite decided what he is — and it shows.

He has decided – president of China.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

No one communicates in the Democratic party…neither the husband/wife team of the Clintons, nor anyone else. Haven’t you noticed. The only common denominator that anyone follows is that it is Democratic, and there is where they all hold hands, to eternity.

betsyz on March 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I hate agreeing with the Clenis but he’s right, while the administration wrings their hands and try’s to emulate Europe’s cowardice, to the best of their ability, the people with the guts to stand up in Libya are dying.

This is not a religious conflict, at its core basically its one man against his own people, cut the head off this snake, who truly qualifies as an enemy combatant, against America. He’s easier to find than Osama drop him an early Christmas present.

So far as the war machine of this refugee from an asylum dictator, its good target practice for air space dominance forces and we don’t have any obligation to ground forces, if we don’t obligate ourselves to the cheap weak weenies in Europe.

Speakup on March 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I would not wish to have Clinton back in office. While I agree with his sentiments on this topic, and there’s some small satisfaction in having him contradict Obama, there’s no good reason for him to do so except to inflate his own self esteem. He’s a classless pig.

Dee2008 on March 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Poor Billy. He’s feeling sooooooooo left out.

GarandFan on March 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The Soldiers would die for the Muzzie Brotherhood or some such to take over. See Egypt. It’s by far not what the lefties think it will be.

Even if they double in progress, those nuts go from the 7th century to the 11th – see Afghanistan.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Hening on March 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Now THAT’s funny!

ted c on March 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM

No Libya. Europe’s problem. Let the French et al deal with it.

jeanie on March 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Indeed. If they want to lead, in addition to just talking, let them pay, in blood and treasure.

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I agree.
It gives a lot of credence to the notion that only Judeo-Christian based cultures are really capable of democracies &/or Republics.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I’m not gung-ho about US involvement in Libya, but Obama leaves himself open to such criticism especially when he’s claiming that the US and allies are determined to get rid of Qaddafi. Um, doesn’t quite look like it, champ.

changer1701 on March 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

By your logic, what is O’s religion/belief, since he wants to be president of China? No need to answer :)

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Let ‘em twist.

Hucklebuck on March 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

The Japanese seem to have managed a reasonable democracy so maybe feudalism had a lot to do with it as well.

sharrukin on March 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Daily Beast’s Women

Har har har.

reaganaut on March 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM

“You should put some ice on that…”

Akzed on March 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

It’s a pretty sad day when I wistfully wish for the Clinton days again.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I used to pretend it was just the split government that reduced spending (as much on accident as anything else) ran a reasonable budget; and kept government expansion limited (again by accident) that I really missed since Clinton.

But this quote starts poking holes in that as well. Clinton was a leader. I may not have liked where he was going or what he was doing; but you had a pretty good idea what he was going to do and why.

Yeah, I’ll say it. If we could get Clinton; and the same Congressional mix we had during the last 6 Clinton years back; I’d vote for that for the next 6 years.

I’d vote for that over voting for Dubya given that our most serious crisis looks to be economic in nature… and thinking that kind of hurts.

Gridlock >> Compassionate Conservatism… at least from the experiences with both I’ve seen in my lifetime.

gekkobear on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Hey Ed,

Why dither now? As I recall Obama two news conferences ago handed the whole WH over to Bill. So why should we be surprised this comes out? O sanctioned it….

Dr. Dog on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

“the 42nd president told an influential dinner crowd attending Newsweek & The Daily Beast’s Women in the World summit…”

Someone left the irony on again…

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM

While I certainly don’t hope we get entangled in Libya, this shows why Clinton was a much better President than Obama: He could make a decision. Good or bad, right or wrong, we knew where he stood and he stood up for it. I never thought I would miss those days of Clinton.

JSGreg3 on March 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I think their culture has so much to do with it, as a people.
Arab culture, IMHO, is nasty & poisonous.
I guess if you think women should be beaten like dogs & that the best liar is someone to be admired, then Arab culture is wonderful.
There really are some cultures better than others.
So I think you have a point regarding the Japanese.
But of course, don’t forget WWII era.
They were nuts.
We kicked their a$$.
It humbled them.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Well he probably shouldn’t have shot off his mouth because it makes his wife look bad, but I think he’s right, from a humanitarian standpoint something has to be done. If we aren’t behind Gaddafi, then we should do something to help the rebels.

scalleywag on March 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

gekkobear on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Compared to BO, yes he has better leadership skills.
But honestly, not by much.
And his treatment of women is shameful.
This man quite probably in reality is a real rapist.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I beleieve Hillary would have participated in the NoFlyZone and had UK/France put their imprimatur on it but our planes doing the work.

I believe Hillary would have had a carrier in the Mediterrranean weeks ago.

I also KNOW that Hillary can NOT say what SHE would do, she works as SOS for President Present.

It must surely be painful to sit and watch him do nothing all the time and spend your time having to equivocate on everything, but that is her job.

Condi Rice could not take any position Dubyah did not instruct her to take, and Hillary cannot take a position because Obama never takes ANY position on anything, he is Mr Consensus.

I found it a pure plus and all kinds of awesome that we would have someone in the WH who knew EXACTLY how to work the levers of power in our govt. HRC was coPOTUS whther u like it or not, the TBTF would have been good/bad banked 2 years ago, a HOLC in place giving recourse to banks for the modified loans, I beleiever ater her experience in 94 she would have waited on healthcare in the face of the recession, I believe she would have acted during the Iranian Green revolution moment.

But she wasnt able to secure the Dem nomination b.c scxmbags on the DNC Roolz Cmte conspired to strip her votes and secure the seat for The Inexperienced Arrogant One we have now.

so yeah, Big Dawg knows how to make a decision, and Hillary is doing her job.

Can you even imagine the press if she said anything out of step with Obamas present stance? She has done it a few times and immediately they walk it back

the press SALIVATED for MONTHS waiting for a ‘power struggle’ between Foggy Bottom and WH. It didnt happen because the woman is loyal to her duties when she takes a job she does the job.

She and Gates are the people trying to finish the job in AfPak every step of the way supporting the troops.

The military would far rather have HRC than Obama OR Mac. Just a fact.

ginaswo on March 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

we should do something to help the rebels.

scalleywag on March 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I know how to help these people.
Turn that place into glass.
Sorry. But I have no use for the evil that is perpetrated by these savages.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Dithering in Chief…

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Yup. He’s a DIC, alright.

iurockhead on March 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Someone left the irony on again…

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hahaha, zing!

scalleywag on March 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM

attending Newsweek & The Daily Beast’s Women in the World WET T-SHIRT CONTEST

/WJC’s Hope

mankai on March 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Oh that Bill! Always trolling for land crabs!!!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So I think you have a point regarding the Japanese.
But of course, don’t forget WWII era.
They were nuts.
We kicked their a$$.
It humbled them.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM

They were and they do seem to have a tendency to go Charlie Sheen throughout history. I don’t believe that Japanese democracy is what we think it is, or what we would find acceptable, but it does work.

I do believe that Christianity has a great deal to do with why Democracy works in the west and doesn’t seem to work that well elsewhere. I also think that feudalism had something to do with it as well. Russia didn’t have feudalism and Japan did. Democracy hasn’t worked well in Russia over time, nor that well in Japan over time. Perhaps you have to have both?

sharrukin on March 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM

“I wouldn’t do it if they hadn’t asked,” Clinton said, referring to anti-Gaddafi rebel leaders who have publicly and repeatedly requested the no-fly zone…

Bill Clinton supports “no fly zones” because interns can hear a zipper opening from a mile away.

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM

A republican form of government works anywhere, but you (citizens) have to watch it like a hawk.

SKYFOX on March 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

This also shows why Obama was so reluctant to tie himself to the Clintons, as this puts Obama squarely in the shadow of Clinton, whose foreign policy at least had the virtue of coherence existing.

Barry doesn’t have a foreign policy, and he doesn’t have a clue wtf he’s doing. It’s what happens when you elect a rank amateur to do a qualified adult’s job.

CantCureStupid on March 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

SKYFOX on March 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

That is absurd and disproven by history and the current situation.

sharrukin on March 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

“We should do it.”

Ruh roh.

petefrt on March 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

BJ Clinton: “You bomb the Libyans from 30K’ without UN approval like I did to the Serbs!”

Caper29 on March 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM

‘Hitler, sporting a traditional cut, medium gray uniform with red Nazi arm band… Der Fuhrer favored the plan to invade Poland’ What does Clinton’s attire have to do with what Clinton said, I wonder? Does the dark blue suit with yellow tie mean he knows what he’s talking about, give it legitimacy? How did the crease in his pants look? Lefties and RINOs are crazy. First Pelosi and the healing power of big government now this. LOL

Also, since Khadafi internationalized his civil war, we should now jump in? Isn’t this the WWI scenario? Hey, everybody is doing it. Funny, Clinton didn’t favor getting in the middle of Vietnam’s ‘civil war’. But Libya? No problem.

JimP on March 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

The military would far rather have HRC than Obama OR Mac. Just a fact.

ginaswo on March 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Let’s just say I’m not convinced. The U.S. should not have, nor does not want a shadow Presidency. I know, I know. We have a president in the shadows right now but my point stands.

WisRich on March 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

No Fly Zone?
Which no fly zone is he talking about?

Scorp3j on March 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Love Bill or hate him… that is well said

Odie1941 on March 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Let’s not forget Rwanda where he didn’t intervene He may have this haunting memory nagging him vis a vis Libya.

Buy Danish on March 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Well, it’s so bad that I would trust Clinton the former president more in a situation like this than I do Mr. President himself. Take the podium again, Bill!

scalleywag on March 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

SKYFOX on March 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

What? Where the hell do you live that this is true?
How many countries in the world do you know of can make a Republican govt work with cultural practices like female genital mutilation? Polygamy?
WTF-ever.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Really, I think it’s awfully noble of us to think we can try & help people achieve freedom, but let’s be honest.
Unless it’s a sure win, we shouldn’t bother.
Some people will never be able to govern themselves.
They are incapable.
Now you look at somewhere like Poland, that’s a sure bet.
Anywhere in the Middle East ‘cept for Israel?
Forget it.
Contain the insanity. Like lokcing up a crazy dog.
If it gets out & starts biting people, then unfortunately you’re going to have to put it down.

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM

It cheeves me to see people trying to throw off the yoke of tyranny and being mowed down by that tyrant’s mercenaries in jets and tanks etc.

I’d like to see a fair fight. I just would. I know they will probably go all Islamist and so on and be a different problem on a different day, but I’m an American and rejoice to see a tyrant overthrown.

So yeah I want to see that no fly zone and no more whining ‘oo it’s too haaard.’ A no fly zone IS a humanitarian mission.

perries on March 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Well, I expect you’re right Badger40. My dh always says we should wall off the ME and hang it about with signs saying “Primitive Man: Keep Out.”

perries on March 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Obama has succeeded in doing the near-impossible. He has made Clinton look good on foreign policy.

paul1149 on March 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

He hasn’t shared a pillow with Hillary in a loooooong time.

You’d think they’d communicate by phone, e-mail, or whatever…

Schadenfreude on March 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Well…. Hillary doesn’t like Cigars.

antisocial on March 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

whose foreign policy at least had the virtue of coherence.

Coherence? Really? What was the coherent reason for getting involved in Kosovo? You remember, the place where we had no national interest.

As for his advice now, where is the national interest in getting involved in Libya? Will the insurgents like us if they should win control? Does it matter if they like us or not? After all, whoever is in charge, they’re still going to b e selling their oil since that is the only means they have of feeding their people.

I’m not saying that Clinton had no god points. Especially when compared to PBHO. But a coherent foreign policy was not one of them.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM

text “Red Cross” to 90999

Help Japan people.

JustJP on March 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM

There are plenty of rational, serious arguments against jumping into this mess. Hatefulness isn’t one of them.

VerbumSap on March 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Yeah I can’t believe Bubba is actually sounding like a President. Right or wrong he takes a stand. That’s twice now, the first being the take over at the press conference.

Deanna on March 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I remember listening to the Bob grant show in the good old days before the liberals successfully crucified him ala a Sarah Pailn-type smear campaign thus totally marginalizing him. Grant used to end the show with “GET QADAFFI!”.

Yes, Qadaffi is a skunk in every way but he is so crazy that he has marginalized himself. Not even Al Qaeda trusts the guy and he is the only dictator who, has far as we know, under duress ,voluntarily gave him his nuclear program.We should be very careful assisting in his ouster in any way because the terrorist who succeeds him (which is the most likely scenario)will probably not only be liked by but will, in fact, be a member of Al Qaeda.

MaiDee on March 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Badger40 on March 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM

perries on March 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

All the countries in the arab world and the rest of Africa were much better off as European colonies.

slickwillie2001 on March 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I can’t believe I would ever think this guy was Presidential. However, after looking at Barry for three, long, grinding, miserable years Clinton is looking soooo good.

UnEasyRider on March 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Ah yes Monica Lewinsky, a grown (groan) woman, seems just like yesterday when she was crawling around the White House floor on her hands and knees.

hip shot on March 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM

“Miss me, yet?”

Reagan
Bush 43
Carter
Clinton

Kafir on March 11, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I can’t tell you HOW MUCH I want to borrow from China and take away from Afghanistan to “invest” in Muslims fighting Muslims in Libya. Yes, YES, like the first few commenters to this thread, I believe in Bill Clinton again!

elfman on March 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM