Hot Air poll: March primary survey results

posted at 4:52 pm on March 9, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

For a third survey in a row, Sarah Palin tops the Hot Air charts, garnering 34% of the readership’s vote. Palin leads a pack consisting of Chris Christie (who for a third survey came in second) at 14%, Herman Cain at 9%, Tim Pawlenty at 7%, and Mitt Romney. Notably, Romney has finished fifth in every survey, and in every survey regardless of sample size, has received 6% of the vote.

Here’s the chart of all the Primary votes so far, starting from the first one we did in November, by percentage of the vote.

For Vice President, Rep. Allen West leads the pack at 22%, followed by Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Herman Cain, and Michele Bachmann. West’s positioning is strongly correlated to Sarah Palin-related votes as her most favored running mate; as Palin voters go up, so too do VP West votes. The VP chart over time:

Top second choice for President? Chris Christie.

Top vote loser? For a second survey, Sarah Palin.

Demographics of this survey:

Nearly 700 people indicated that they did not comment at Hot Air, but “would like to!” For those that have provided email addresses, I’ll try to give you the heads up if I have forewarning as to when registration opens. Regardless, I’ve passed along your interest to the guys upstairs.

Two quick, final points.

It’s important to start winnowing down the candidate pool we’ve got presently. Chris Christie and Paul Ryan will be removed from the topline survey question next month if they don’t indicate a reasonable interest to run; there’s no sense in keeping candidates in the first-choice President question who’ve said they absolutely won’t do it. Gotta move on, as disappointing as it might be. DeMint may also go.

Once the pool is winnowed, the next step is working out when and how candidates will exit the field. Like I indicated when I was predicting House outcomes, predicting nationwide outcomes can be a lot trickier if we just gloss over local circumstances. With the surveys we’ve been doing at Hot Air, we’re gathering lots of valuable knowledge as to these local circumstances; I’m looking forward to matching those circumstances up with the primary calendar, once it crystallizes.

I’ll toss out the first few months of last cycle’s calendar, per About.com, for your perusal as a rough sketch of what next year’s calendar might look like. I look forward to your thoughts in the comments, and at my Twitter.

JANUARY 2008
January 3: Iowa (caucuses)
January 5: Wyoming (GOP caucuses)
January 8: New Hampshire (primary)
January 15: Michigan
January 19: Nevada (precinct caucuses), South Carolina (R primary)
January 26: South Carolina (D primary)
January 29: Florida
FEBRUARY 2008
February 1: Maine (R)
February 5: Alabama, Alaska (caucuses), Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado (caucuses), Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho (D caucuses), Illinois, Kansas (D caucuses), Massachusetts, Minnesota (caucuses), Missouri, Montana (R caucuses), New Jersey, New Mexico (D), New York, North Dakota (caucuses), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia, American Samoa (caucuses)
February 9: Louisiana, Kansas (R), Nebraska (D caucuses), Washington (D&R caucuses)
February 10: Maine (D caucuses)
February 12: District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
February 19: Hawaii (D), Washington (R primary), Wisconsin
MARCH 2008
March 4: Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont
March 8: Wyoming (D)
March 11: Mississippi
APRIL 2008
April 22: Pennsylvania

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Other than Unions how is Christie different than Obama?

I don’t think I could vote for Christie if he was the nominee….jus sayin’.

PappyD61 on March 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I too missed this poll. it wasn’t well advertisted. But i don’t visit the green room much…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Well… it was published on the HA front page, too.

How about the number of people interested in becoming commenters at HotAir. Did you by any chance break that down by gender?

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I did check that. Pretty much reflects the overall gender breakdown within a few percentage points.

One other thing that I’ll note for the sake of discussion, since many folks are looking at the demo breakdown/candidate preferences: Palin does not do nearly as well with young Hot Air respondents.

18-25: 20%
26-35: 26%
36-50: 32%
51-64: 38%
65 and older: 42%

That was an unexpected result to me. It may also be a creeping problem she’d want to address sooner rather than later, if she’s going to run. I just don’t know how exactly she’d do it.

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

gary4205 on March 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

At the risk of incurring your wrath, you make it very hard to be on the same side.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Ditto. If anybody is going to turn me off to Palin it will be gary and his ilk.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Wow, Sarah Palin won an online Poll at HotAir.

Shocking.

You know who else won – nay, dominated – a shitload of online polls?

Ron Paul.

You-Eh-Vee on March 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

18-25: 20%
26-35: 26%
36-50: 32%
51-64: 38%
65 and older: 42%

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

That’s interesting, because the latest Gallup has her doing better with the young voters than the rest!

gary4205 on March 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Ditto. If anybody is going to turn me off to Palin it will be gary and his ilk.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I can understand if gary turns you off to gary, but how can an anonymous commenter determine how you feel about any particular candidate?

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

can you still vote?

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

He is a NE Regional candidate, at best.

kingsjester on March 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Yep, and Utah.

OkieDoc on March 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Wow, Sarah Palin won an online Poll at HotAir.

Shocking.

You know who else won – nay, dominated – a shitload of online polls?

Ron Paul.

You-Eh-Vee on March 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

They only win the ones they can spam.

gary4205 on March 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

If anybody is going to turn me off to Palin it will be gary and his ilk.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Gary and the other whackpackers is the universes way of balancing out the Obama idiots from 08.

You-Eh-Vee on March 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I suppose it’s the fact he went out of his way to condescend to her, placing him among a growing tribe of smug and patriarchal politicians who’ve been alternately dismissive, derisive and generally degrading despite her continuous stream of thoughtful policy positions and incisive critiques of Obama for two years. In addition, she’s been a solid party soldier, campaigning far and wide for republicans, all the while demonstrating unfailing personal graciousness while enduring vicious personal attacks. Yet she’s asked “to leave the room,” or told she “lacks gravitas,” or that she “needs more unscripted moments” by a boorish male GOP elite who are, in fact, the ones obsessed, i.e., obviously envious and unable to tolerate the prospect of a capable, charismatic and powerful female leader.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM

can you still vote?

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Sure. The “official” vote tally is closed and separated, but the form should still be accepting responses at present.

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Since this is a poll of presidential contenders, I have to say that I have seen a lot in my life but this statement by Newt Gingrich beggars belief:

“Passion for the country” led to my indiscretions.”

technopeasant on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I love how christie supporters live in fantasyland…..read the poll and understand what it is telling you. Christie has taken a big hit among the gop base in NJ care to explain anything he has done in the last month that would anger the base besides starting a feud with Palin?

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

He didn’t take a “big hit” among the GOP base, though he did lose support. His favorable / unfavorable rating among self-described conservatives stands at 78%/18%.

Also note that the poll was taken right after his budget address.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Having several representatives in the immediate family that fall into that age group, I would guess that they think she would try to have a social, evangelical agenda on their lives. I would also guess that her treatment in the press and denigration through pop culture is more successful in those age groups.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Palin does not do nearly as well with young Hot Air respondents.

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Why unexpected? The young are easily influenced by media and narratives. I would be more surprised if the older more experienced people had that reaction.

the young voted in record numbers for Obama because they are easily led around by the nose by the media. Why would you expect them not to be led around by the nose IRT to Palin by the same media?

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

“Passion for the country” led to my indiscretions.”

technopeasant on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

So, Newt thought that his paramour was Lady Liberty?

kingsjester on March 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

She’s not running…….but if she picked Floridas West it could free up the White Guilt voter bloc to vote for her and West.

Interesting.

PappyD61 on March 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I meant from the discussion and threads. I already avoid (generally) the Palin threads because of his (and other rabid Palin ‘defenders’) nastiness and incivility.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Yes, how “tormented” they are. And yet they keep reading, despite the “torment.”

Really, stop crying already.

Allahpundit on March 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Allah, you slay me. We ARE addicted, much of it because of you.

You’re a good guy, and you’ve spent a lot of time building this site into an amazing vehicle for conservative thought, even though I’m not sure how conservative you truly are with some of your positions, sometimes. Must be the Beta Male in you.

But you have the flair and the knack, son. Even though we’ve belted you and flayed you, by the Living God that made you, you’re a better Man than we are, Allah Pundit. God bless you ,son.

Now get your Candy-ass back to work….. Press on.

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM

The sexist! argument doesn’t hold much weight considering that she polls worse among women than men.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Uh, troll, the Townhall poll is advertised EVERYWHERE! Google ads have the thing all over the interwebs.

You should just stop talking because you are be-clowing yourself more and more by the second.

Just because you’re guy sucks doesn’t mean you get to piss on everyone else with your nonsense.

gary4205 on March 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM

gary, you’re really kind of a tool aren’t you?

dakine on March 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

gary4205 on March 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Eveyone who doesn’t hang on your every word s a troll?

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

That wasn’t the point. You asked about Christie. I answered.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Also note that the poll was taken right after his budget address.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

like I said read the poll. christie has lost 12pts among the gop:

Republicans are somewhat less positive about the governor’s job performance following his budget speech: Christie’s 39 percent excellent rating among GOP voters after last November‘s election falls to 27 percent. Another 38 percent rate his performance as fair or poor compared to 26 percent in December.

and lost independents:

Independents also are less likely to rate Christie excellent: 14 percent now compared to 21 percent in December. At the same time, they also are less likely to rate the governor poor: 19 percent now compared to 23 percent in December

but gained with dems:

Democrats also are somewhat less extreme. More than half of Democratic in November rated Christie’s performance as poor. Forty-two percent rate him poor now.

This is a clear trend he is losing GOP support and independent supprot (I would assume it’s right leaning independents he is losing) while gaining dem support

Or in other words has Chrisite tries to play to the middle he is bleeding support from his base. the more he paints himself the moderate the more support he will lose. It was a dumb move on his part and he is getting bad advice somewhere. My guess would be the mitt campaign.

If he continues along this path his cahnces of a national campaign will go the way of Scott Brown’s

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

yeah because women can’t be sexists and blacks can’t be racists…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM

gary, you’re really kind of a tool aren’t you?

dakine on March 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Coming from you, that’s hilarious.

kingsjester on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Er… because… uhm… women can’t be sexist?

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM

k thx

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

And whatever women’s views may be from one poll to the next has nothing to do with the condescending sexism of the male GOP elite.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Eveyone who doesn’t hang on your every word s a troll?

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

His nasty diatribes labeling everyone a troll, even like-minded right wing conservatives is tiring and annoying. He is fast losing credibility here at Hot Air.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Pardon me. So you’re a Christie guy. Well, that means you’re in favor of the Ground Zero Mosque and Gun Control. How…Moderate.

kingsjester on March 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Wrong again.

You can keep guessing which candidate (or potential candidate) I support, and you’ll always be wrong- I’m not an anyone’s corner yet.

I’ve pretty much ruled out Palin, Gingrich and Trump, and wouldn’t be in Christie’s camp this early even if he was running.

Considering that he’s not running, I just don’t get the animosity that the Palinistas have towards him. Watching him take on entrenched interests in NJ with face to face confrontations was fun to watch.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Subsunk on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for the Kipling.:)

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Okay, I just asked a 20 year old who voted for McCain in 2008. She thinks that Gov. Palin would be to partisan and would not take the considerations of the entire nation. She was impressed with how mavericky (my term not hers) that Sen. McCain has been through is career.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Trust no one under 35.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I suggest you pull up the raw poll results instead of relying on the MSM interpretation of them.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Good Lord … seriously? I suppose Palin needs to expound on her record.

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I love reading 99% of the commenters here.

You guys are a Hoot!!

PappyD61 on March 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Perhaps if he’d have a little graciousness towards a fellow republican, especially one that went out of her way to try and help Republicans get elected last election people wouldn’t feel that way.

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Lost it with me a while back.Coming off like an hysterical drag queen doen’t make people change their minds.

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Apologies to hysterical drag queens.

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

And watching him not defend the Tea party nor Palin during the blood libel and instead attacking her and piling on was pretty disgusting.

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Patrick Ishmael on March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I think it’s because Palin is perceived as socially conservative and that appeals to older conservatives more than younger conservatives who tend to be more socially liberal.

In truth, she’s fairly socially moderate aside from her stance on abortion. To win indies and moderates she will need to stress those socially-moderate positions without turning off her base. Should be interesting. I wonder if he will come out for decriminalization of pot and gay civil unions? That would be very interesting.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM

you’re a better Man than we are, Allah Pundit.

Yeeesh, speak for yourself – and don’t put the immortal Kipling in the same sentence with…no, I can’t do it even to tell you not to…

Knott Buyinit on March 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM

OK. LOLZ!
LMAOROF.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I love reading 99% of the commenters here.
You guys are a Hoot!!
PappyD61 on March 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I agree. I come for the news and Ed & AP’s commentary, but stay for the comments.

rslancer14 on March 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Also note that the poll was taken right after his budget address.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I understand Christie’s popularity – if nothing else, the man gives good toobz. However, he’s not a conservative. Never has been, never will be. For Conservative True Believers of the moment, there are three palatable names out there who are actively running or haven’t ruled it who could also compete – Palin, Cain, Pawlenty, and T-Paw’s infatuation with green initiatives makes him suspect and his book was boring as Saturday night church.

Can they win? I don’t know, nor does anyone else. I’m a Palinista, but I’d take Cain or Pawlenty in a heartbeat. The rest of the herd will sell conservatives down the river for a bag of silver coins, and that’s if we’re lucky – Newt and Mitt already have on more than one occasion, and Huck is a bleeding-heart waiting to be exploited (again).

Christie will too if he takes the chance. I don’t care what polls say and I don’t care what Ann Coulter says, Christie is not now nor was he ever a conservative. It’s not wishful thinking – if you like him, nothing wrong with that, but I repeat: Christie is not at conservative. Yes, he berates public union members on YouTube and it’s great – that does not now nor has it ever made him a conservative. We’re lucky to have him as governor of a blue state, just as we’re lucky to have Scott Brown – it doesn’t make them something they’re not.

My primary desire, as I assume much of the HotAir readership’s, is to field a candidate who can either beat Pres. Obama, or who will at least go down fighting. Palin and Cain are the only two I can think of who will do this, at least from what I’ve seen thus far. I have great hopes for Cain, and every time he speaks he doesn’t disappoint.

We live in a world where our GOP politicians who are a) White and b) Male live in fear of being branded racist, and as a white man, I understand why – how many political careers of white male GOPers have been ruined by the smears of fabricated racism? Any candidate – yes, even Cain, or even West, should he decide to run – will have to face up to the race card that will be dealt daily against the stacked hand of Obama’s machine. Most of the considered front-runners have not exhibited the spine or the courage under political fire to make me think that’s going to change in the next 18 months.

Yes, Sarah Palin resigned as governor – everyone is aware of this. Her explanation for doing so speaks for itself – accept it or don’t. She is the only person in the field who commands the media attention, money and following who has lived and governed primarily as a conservative. She has her flaws – no one is perfect. However, I’m tired of being sold out by GOPers – Mitt, Newt, Huck and on down the line will sell us out. I hate to use the term, but they are Judases to the conservative movement, every last one of them.

tl;dr – Palin will not sell out conservatives, nor will Cain. Everyone else has much to prove.

Palin/Cain12

elcapt on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Also, kids seem to care more about MSM image than adults. I imagine conservatives age 18-35 watch Jon Stewart more than Fox.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM

That’s always a one-way street with Palin though, isn’t it. She has no qualms about engaging in petty name-calling and some rather absurd criticisms of other Republicans over even the most minor percieved slight, even when none was intended.

What did Christie say that was so insulting? That she’d have to do townhall meetings if she expects to get elected? That he didn’t know if she could win? That he wouldn’t have used the term “blood libel”? Is she really that thin skinned?

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Yes, he said all those things on several different occasions. Palin publicly criticized him only after the last one. At some point you have to stand up to bullies or they think they can keep hitting you with impunity.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

And tell us what was so insulting about Palin’s comments?

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Exactly what did he say that could be reasonably called an “attack”?

He’s the governor of a liberal state. Why would he go out of his way to defend a Fox News contributor who’s especially unpopular in his state?

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Because he has national political aspirations with the GOP and the national GOP rank-and-file like Palin as a person. He doesn’t need to go out of his way to compliment her but he should go out of his way to withhold fire.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

And tell us what was so insulting about Palin’s comments?

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

For example, there’s the “neandertal” quip and the bizzare criticism that Christie’s budget cutting wasn’t “courageous” because he apparently was supposed to go back in time and cut the budget before he was elected.

It made her look petty, unserious and thin skinned.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

He wouldn’t! No spine…….

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I just recently thought of the perfect resolution to all of this Palin argumentation. It goes like this:

1. We divide into pro- and anti- Palin camps.
2. We discuss how we cannot win unless Palin is/is not the nominee, according to which camp we are in.
3. This is a very important issue, so we all have to remember that, while not everyone in the opposing camp is evil, many are, and the ones that aren’t are hopelessly naive. In any case, they are certainly not conservative.
4. A few people in each group must pledge not to support the other group’s nominee. Others should pledge to vote for whoever wins, but (and this is important, or the whole plan collapses) they should point to the fanatically pro/anti Palin supporters as evidence that the OTHER side is likely to be disloyal. This will provide fodder for many food-fights. Of course, insulting the candidates themselves (they are all stupid and/or RINOs and/or unelectable; preferably all 3) is useful as well.
5. In the aforementioned foodfights, if we fight hard enough, we can probably convince many MORE people to sit out of the general, or at the very least, provide less active or vocal support for the nominee.
6. Someone might point out that there is a danger that this squabbling will let Obama win, but it can easily be argued that it’s better to elect Obama, let the country lapse into Socialism, and then be able to blame the left, ushering in a new wave of true conservatism, just like what happened after FDR was re-elected several times.(If this reasoning fails, “They started it” is also a valid argument.

7. When Obama inevitably wins as a result of this argument, the camp that lost the primary will have irrefutable proof that they were right. Meanwhile the people who backed the nominee get to blame lack of enthusiasm on the other camp. And, of course, Obama gets to be President. Everybody wins!

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

First, Brett Beir just announced that Wisconsin legislature is taking collective bargaining out of the bill and voting on it separately, possibly tonight.

Second, remember that younger ones are less interested in research and tend to believe what The Daily Show tells them.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Ah yes. State affiliation Polling should always be the determining factor in standing up for what is right or wrong.

Courage.

portlandon on March 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM

It made her look petty, unserious and thin skinned.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

But Christie’s complaints about Palin did not make him look petty, unserious or thin skinned, natch.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM

It made her look petty, unserious and thin skinned.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

The truth hurts! Being a governor of a broke state he had no choice…

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Eveyone who doesn’t hang on your every word s a troll?

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Now that’s not entirely true. Some of us are merely “morons.”

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Yep, it’s all over in Wisconsin. Finally.

slickwillie2001 on March 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Very well done. You are exactly right.

The interesting difference I see is that those who earnestly want Obama out of office will vote for whomever makes it to the general and if that is Palin, more power to here. But those who will have to be sedated if she doesn’t make it seem to indicate that they will sit out the vote in ’12 and just wait until she resurfaces in ’16. And if that happens, your #7 point is correct. Obama will sail right into a second term.

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Future breaking news: Palin secures nominatin at Republican National Convention.

This is bad for America since only Republican delegates freep’d the nomination process.

Terrye on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

rmel80 on March 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Apologies to hysterical drag queens.

katy the mean old lady on March 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Hysterical drag queen here.

SouthernGent on March 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It made her look petty, unserious and thin skinned.

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

The truth hurts! Being a governor of a broke state he had no choice…

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM

And the neanderthal quip was about Santorum, not Christie. But don’t let a little thing like facts get in the way of a good rant.

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

elcapt on March 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

good post..

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

It depends…..

If the beltway boys do everything in their power to keep her out and degrade her, Many will not vote. count on it!!!

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

or we could just hold 50 elections across the country and see who wins…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM

no of course not because he liked those comments…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Many will not vote. count on it!!!

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Because of that! How pathetic that your privilege of voting in any election will be tossed away because of misguided sympathy for a political figure. Let’s remember we are voting for the President of the United States not the Homecoming Queen. Buck up!

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Re: open registrations

I was thinking recently it had been a while since the latest enrollment. Anyone remember when the last one was?

LastRick on March 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

A few of us have individually convinced Ed or Allah (Ed in my case) to give us posting privileges.

Who is John Galt on March 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Hollowpoint on March 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM

You apparently don’t pay attention to who said what, or have some kind of interpretive occlusion.

Here is a summation.

Christie came out of nowhere with gratuitously condescending remarks about Palin on a late night TV comedy show. A boorish, petty remark dripping with condescension.

This happened more than once.

“Christie said he didn’t know whether Palin was aware of the historical context of the term “blood libel,”…

He said this after the Tucson shooting. Why would he say this? How could he possibly know what Palin knew? So he’s assuming she doesn’t know? Nice to provide benefit of doubt to a fellow Republican under siege. Instead, Christie was quick to defend the media. Palin’s use of the term to describe the frenzied, baseless media-mob attacks against her were entirely accurate and valid, a point many Jewish leaders made.

In response to the first derogation, Palin was charitable and spoke only praise for Christie.

In response to the second, she gave him credit for his work, but conflated it with her own record of cutting the budget during a surplus.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

You know, I would never sit out … but comments like that sure as hell make me think about it.

darwin on March 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

sorry the elites have screwed this country up. I will not vote for anymore of the people that have screwed up my country. I don’t care if they have an R or D beside their name. They have taken the greatest country the world has ever known and totally maybe fatally screwed it into the ground. If they do not allow democracy to work in the primaries then they ar epart of the problem and no solution will ever be found and we will simply change seats as the country goes to hell.

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Oh yeah?
Who’s your stupid, unelectable candidate RINO?

OkieDoc on March 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

You know, you forgot to log out as “Sherry” and log back in as “Meredith”.

portlandon on March 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

It’s not about Palin, I don’t care it’s Cain, Ryan or west.
It is about politics as usual, and I won’t play that game. Like who’s next in line.

Deal with it…….

idesign on March 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Look, I understand your cynicism. I actually agree with you on that. But you’re wrong about there being no solution. You are a part of that solution and not exercising your right to vote is irresponsible, especially if you feel so strongly about this country’s direction. At the very least, removing this idiot from the Oval Office is certainly a step in the right direction.

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

or we could just hold 50 elections across the country and see who wins…
unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Well, yes, that part is important too. But without the angry food-fight, we might not lose, and then we won’t be able to explain how our loss vindicates our political ideas. And Obama won’t be able to nationalize any more industries. So everyone loses.

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I understand your cynicism and I actually agree with you on how bad it’s become but you’re wrong about there being no solution. You are part of that solution and not exercising your right to vote is irresponsible, especially if you feel so strongly about this country. Removing this idiot from the Oval Office is a step in the right direction, otherwise, you are looking at moving even further off the rails for another four years. That can be prevented and that should be the primary goal.

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM

You know, you forgot to log out as “Sherry” and log back in as “Meredith”.

portlandon on March 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I know you try very hard to be cute and witty but I have no idea what you are talking about.

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Oh yeah?
Who’s your stupid, unelectable candidate RINO?
OkieDoc on March 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Well, obviously it’s [Palin, Romney, Huckabee, Gingrich, Christie, Pawlenty, Cain, Daniels].

What idiot would support that fool?

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I have voted in every election since 18 and I will vote in this election also. that does not mean I will vote for the R nominee. I can leave the space blank and vote for the down ticket candidates. I will not vote for a elite approved candidate that will simply shift spending to their favorite groups.

2012 will be one of the mos timportant election in our histroy only if we have a real choice. If not it will just be an election the decide who will be called our NERO in 200 years…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM

points taken

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I got it…

alwaysfiredup on March 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Totally uncalled for.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Oops, forgot to pick which one. I was thinking filling in Palin might cause the biggest rumble, but the problem is that that fight is already in such high gear, no one would notice. Actually, now that I think of it, Bolton might be a good target. Imagine how much fun a good Bolton fight could be.

RINO in Name Only on March 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I understand what you are saying but the upside is that the new crop of republicans that made a splash in ’10 seem to have sent a wave of the importance of being responsible through the senate and house. Now whether that actually remains will be seen. And I actually agree with you on the fact that Palin’s leadership would keep that going just by her presence and politics. But at the very least, you have to hope that things will change.

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

This sure is true:

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM

And Gary keep on commenting. They are trying to bully, namecall and ridicule you to make you stop. Or frustrate you to make yourself look bad. Take a look at these polling results; you aren’t alone in your feelings.

unlisted on March 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM

This thread pertains to all presidential candidates because the topic of the thread is a GOP presidential poll.

This is directed to Ed Morrissey and AP:

Could you please help to set some standards in the threads by insisting that folks stay on topic.

Right now the Gingrich thread pertaining to his adultery is being populated by trolls trashing Palin. That is not kosher.

It’s not like there aren’t enough Palin threads to bash her at Hot Air.

technopeasant on March 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Homecoming queen? That’s some deep misogyny there.

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Homecoming queen? That’s some deep misogyny there.

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Actually, it has a little stink of wallfloweresque jealousy, too, as immortalized by by Janis Ian….

Perhaps she/he too learned the truth at seventeen that love was only meant for ‘beauty queens.’ If so, awwwwww!!!!

cynccook on March 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Remember when Ron Paul used to win all the online polls?

petunia on March 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM

sherry on March 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

hope and change is not something to base a vote on. did 2008 teach you nothing. I will not be party to voting in someone that will continue the destruction of my country. If the elites give me a choice between Obama and a quisling I will vote for my congressman and call it a day…

unseen on March 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

This is directed to Ed Morrissey and AP:

It’s not like there aren’t enough Palin threads to bash her at Hot Air.

technopeasant on March 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Oh that’s rich/
Let’s all shut down the conversation because someone is bashing Palin in another thread?

That’s the exact same thing that liberals, moonbats and union thugs do when the opposition says something they perceive to be untruthful or doesn’t fit their narrative.

I’m sure Sarah Palin would approve of your methods/

Knucklehead on March 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Remember when Ron Paul used to win all the online polls?

petunia on March 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Remember when Mitt Romney was buying up tickets to CPAC and giving them away in order to boost his numbers for the Straw Poll?

portlandon on March 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Not what he said. He said let’s set standards about staying on topic within threads.

Wrong again. And a strawman.

I’m sure Sarah Palin would approve of your methods/

False. Palin has declared fervent support for free speech over and over again.

Three strikes. You’re out.

rrpjr on March 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Now that’s not entirely true. Some of us are merely “morons.”

John the Libertarian on March 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, for living in California…

Gohawgs on March 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM