Reid: Budget cuts mean an end to cowboy poetry, or something

posted at 2:55 pm on March 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

With the White House abdicating leadership on budget issues and Senate Democrats in disarray, the Republicans in the House worry that the final FY2011 budget might not pass in time for the March 18th expiration of the current continuing resolution.  As Plan B, the House GOP leadership has begun crafting another CR that will last somewhere between 2-4 weeks.  Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the Majority Whip, says a new CR would continue to cut spending and keep pressure on the Democrats to act:

“We’ll probably end up doing another short-term somewhere between two to three, maybe four weeks, depending on where the schedule lies,” McCarthy told reporters at a breakfast sponsored by The Christian Science Monitor.

McCarthy said the GOP might look to achieve deeper cuts so it doesn’t “lose ground as we go forward.”

The current spending measure expires March 18.

But a short-term continuing resolution won’t be an easy lift for the GOP. Party members are expected to ramp up pressure on leadership to come with a more permanent solution. McCarthy blamed the White House for sending Vice President Joe Biden — the chief negotiator with House Republicans — to Finland and Russia while the government is operating on a two-week stopgap measure.

Why do Republicans think that another CR will be necessary?  The level of seriousness among Democratic leadership on budgeting was on full display today, and not just with the sudden dispatch of Sheriff Joe to Finland in the middle of negotiations.  Harry Reid took to the Senate floor to lament the elimination of subsidies to public broadcasting and the art world — and what it would mean to cowboy poetry:

“The mean-spirited bill, H.R. 1, eliminates National Public Broadcasting,” said Reid in a floor speech. “It eliminates the National Endowment of the Humanities, National Endowment of the Arts. These programs create jobs. The National Endowment of the Humanities is the reason we have in northern Nevada every January a cowboy poetry festival. Had that program not been around, the tens of thousands of people who come there every year would not exist.”

Guy Benson notes what this means for serious budget negotiations:

If Democrats are unwilling to abide belt-tightening on federal subsidies for regional cowboy poetry festivals, that tells you everything you need to know about their seriousness on spending.  It’s as if this didn’t actually happen in their minds.  It also does not augur well for the looming entitlements fight.  If they won’t touch the Lone Ranger reciting Poe, the notion that they’ll roll up their sleeves and tackle social security is just laughable.

Get the CR ready, Republicans — and be prepared to do it again after that, as long as Lonesome Harry remains in charge of the Democratic caucus and Wild Joe Biden heads up budget negotiations for the White House.  By November 2012, voters will be ready to send Democratic leadership to their last political roundup.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Have absolutely no problem with cowboy poetry-it’s a national resource.

One of the very best is Red Steagall, who was the first cowboy to ever be named Texas’ Poet Laureate. He’s also the official Cowboy Poet of the State of Texas and of the City of San Juan Capistrano, California.

He also writes music. You may have heard of “Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music”. And he’s the guy who first discovered and signed Reba McEntire.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Pony up your own pesos, Harry, and support your local cowboy poet.

DamnCat on March 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Cheatin,drinkin,rainin’ trucks, more wimmin n drinkin,trains, stuff like that.
Hit song.
Col.John Wm. Reed on March 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the raaaaaain,
But before I could get there in my pickup truck,
She got run over by a danged ol’ traaaaain.

DrMagnolias on March 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Stop Cowboy Poetry Genocide Now!

Oh wait! We just had the 15th annual cowboy poets event in Douglas County, Georgia but it has nothing to do with NPR nor does it require confiscating federal dollars from taxpayers. It’s funded the old-fashioned way – they charge admission.

Buy Danish on March 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Ah hem… my Cowboy Haiku:

Birdie, Birdie, in the sky,
Why’d you do that in my eye?
You glad cows can’t fly?

CynicalOptimist on March 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

“Harry Reid must have been squatting with his spurs on and it caused a brain injury.”
Asses to ashes,dust to dust.
BS to HS thus ever a must.
You can mess with the folks
but natures a mother.
Hairy the Dingy is daid n done
The poesy is blooming the smell ain’t gone.
Sat on his Rowels dern near wrecked him,
some folks said it was a dis assed er.
Folks claim to have herd from the hearafter
as Dingy was pleading his case howls of laughter.
Ti yie yippee I yeah!

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM

[ted c on March 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM]

I got a good chuckle from that, but it made me wonder: Where would these cowboy poets go if not for NEH funding of what, I presume, is Reid’s reference to the Genoa Cowboy Poetry Festival?

Well, the might go the Santa Clarita Cowboy Poetry Festival, or the Monterrey Cowboy Poetry Festival, or the Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering, or the Heber City, or the Missouri, Elko, or Loomis Cowboy Poetry Festivals …..

There’s dozens more, I’m sure. But I need to admit and revise things. First the admission. I don’t know how many are sponsored by NEH. I did not see any direct references to NEH on any of their pages and and all but one had sponsor pages, charitable donations to make them happen. One, the Texas Poetry Festival, had shown dozens and dozens of sponsors and contributors.

And now a revision. It probably isn’t Genoa that gets the funding as they solicit have sponsors, too. There is one that that solicits “stakeholders” and urges “planned giving”, however, words that are typical of taxpayer funded organizations, and that is the one in Elko, Nev. I’ll guess that is the one Reid is talking about.

Anyway, I think the point is twofold. One, this funding won’t kill Cowboy Poetry Festivals. They’ll still thrive in places where taxpayers volunteer their own hard earned money to support them. Two, Elko, or whichever taxpayer funded Cowboy Festival Reid has in mind, can compete just as the rest of these do and if they do their job well, can survive without sucking on the government teat and these visitors Reid is so worried about will still exist in Nevada.

Dusty on March 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Reba McEntire.
Yup Del
A real life successful
COWGRIL

dern good barrel racer to.
Ain’t hard on the eyesight neither.

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM

This is so comical. Reuters is in on the act using violent imagery, tsk tsk. Headline:

Spending cuts an arrow through the heart of cowboy poets

Buy Danish on March 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM

You get a ,Lone Star truck,Bud truck, n Colorado Cool Aid truck,
put up a sign and you will get Cowboys,Cowgirls ,wanna be cowpokes,whittlers, and the pickers,poets will be there.
LUKENBACH,Greun,Billy Bob’s you name it, there will be a PARTY.
If you want poetry TEXAS style try this.
Coarse language from a classic story teller, and probably true. Spur, Texas is on the south plains of Texas, some 130 miles south east of Amarillo.

If you like tales around the pot belly stove down at the General Store you’ll love this…..

Col.John Wm. Reed on March 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Cowboy poetry?

Great, Jerry Jones will be asking for a SuperBowl 50 public grant. The halftime show will make Will and Wister spin in their graves.

Limerick on March 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM

If I’m not able to go to the cowboy poetry reading my life as I know it will be over. Please Harry Ried don’t take away my poetry, or my urine jar art.

kringeesmom on March 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Uh oh… If the government shuts down on the 18th then the TSA will shut down and the planes will not fly. If The TSA shuts down on the 18th, I will be trapped in Colorado, skiing during spring break….

The sacrifices…..

percysunshine on March 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Here’s some great cowboy poetry by Big Country, one of the best and most underrated band from the 80s. It’s called “John Wayne’s Dream”

Mallard T. Drake on March 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Make the CR week-to-week, with LARGE cuts in each. Then shove them down Reid’s throat!

GarandFan on March 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM

GarandFan on March 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Preferably a nickel at a time.

MJBrutus on March 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I believe this is creeping senility, or even Alzheimer’s. Dingy is a candidate for it because of his amateur boxing career, and is getting on in years. Watch for it to get worse in time, with sudden losses of lucidity brought on by traumatic events like election losses.

slickwillie2001 on March 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Harry Reid making a run for Brokeback Mountain.

Figured it was just a matter of time…

Roy Rogers on March 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM

the tens of thousands of people who come there every year would not exist.”

I suspect that they don’t exist anyway, Harry.

disa on March 8, 2011 at 7:21 PM

jeanie on March 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I also saw that about the HC funding. I emailed it to HA tips.

Who is John Galt on March 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Some poetry from Harry’s website:

I tried one time to milk my horse
and found he had one teat
and every time I pulled on it
he stepped upon my feet.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Anyone else realize that he said thousands of people will cease to exist without that Cowboy Poetry get together?

ApartforHaShem on March 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Washington budget woes discussed by Harry Reid
threatens the very basics of Americana indeed.

If government actually spends a little less
there will be loses beyond one’s guess;
The evil GOP’s cutting a billion here and there
exposes the Nevada Cowboy and leaves him bare.

The USA needs to spend way beyond their means
so Nevada doesn’t miss very important things
like their cowboy poetry festival, an annual event
Something to which the Chinese willingly lent.

Even though debts and deficits loom high above our heads
one wonders how at night the evil GOP sleep in their beds.
How dare they demand these disastrous cuts
just to try to save our bankrupt butts!

katablog.com on March 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Can anybody get more clueless? Does he have the slightest idea what he and his cronies have done to this country in the past two years? Doesn’t he understand that we’re broke?

You should have to pass a basic competency test to run for Congress.

flataffect on March 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM

ApartforHaShem on March 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I’ve been wondering why that’s not more a story as well. Maybe it’s like little Bammie’s ’57-states’.

slickwillie2001 on March 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

ApartforHaShem on March 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I do believe I mentioned that very thing at 3:32 in this very thread…

Tennman on March 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Harry Reid wouldn’t know a Cowboy poet from a New Orleans pimp. The closest he ever gets to anything remotely associated with Cowboys is when he looks in the mirror and sees a HORSE’S A$$ looking back at him.

If you want to know the truth about AUTHENTIC Cowboy and Western Poetry and Music, enjoy the treasure trove of Cowboy Poetry at the BAR-D Ranch. These folks support themselves, they publish their poetry and songs and sell CDs; most live on ranches and run livestock, and they don’t take a DIME of government money, although they will accept donations from visitors to their website to help defray the cost of running the site. Many of them volunteer their talents to raise money for underprivileged kids, disabled veterans, and others in need. The link to the page above is dedicated to selected classic and contemporary poems, posted in observance of Veterans Day and Remembrance Day.

I became acquainted with the late (and great) “Curley” Jim Musgrave, a very talented Cowboy poet, singer, and songwriter. He was also a counselor for veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). He honored me by allowing me to place one of his poems on my website. In his own words, “This poem was written in dedication to the many veterans of combat who return to peaceful places but bring the battleground home with them in the deepest recesses of their minds and spirits, to be relived in flashbacks as part of a post trauma syndrome. It was written after a vet I was working with came to a counseling session covered in road stains. He had crawled under his truck in the midst of a flashback triggered by a moist, evening wind through the palm trees.” The poem is titled, “THE THUNDER IN THE HILLS”.

opaobie on March 9, 2011 at 1:56 AM

ApartforHaShem on March 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Oh, the humanity.

Dirty Creature on March 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Some poetry from Harry’s website:

I tried one time to milk my horse
and found he had one teat
and every time I pulled on it
he stepped upon my feet.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM

He pulled and pulled
and tried and tried
and nothing ever come
And then a farmer happened by
and told him, “Harry, you’re dumb!”

Roy Rogers on March 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

It’s videos like this that make me kinda happy that he won.

Harry, did you hear? The CEO of NPR said they would be better off without govt funding…

jeffn21 on March 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

There are plenty of cowboy poetry festivals up here in Canada and I’m pretty sure they all survive by charging admission. The idea that this art form is somehow dependent on taxpayer money is laughable. I mean you’re talking about Westerners – one of the most ruggedly independent cultures in the world.

CityFish on March 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Roy Rogers on March 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I think your verse wins.

unclesmrgol on March 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Oh the Humanities!

ricer1 on March 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Harry isn’t bright enough to be a Wisconsin state senator, let alone a US one.

n0doz on March 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM