Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Why don’t some people love Barack Obama as President? Well, it could be his incoherent foreign policy. They may not like his demand for expanded federal spending, or the fact that he’s used executive branch agencies to conduct end-runs around Congressional oversight. Some may oppose Obama’s economic policies, while others may believe that Obama isn’t doing the job as Commander-in-Chief to their liking. The massive ObamaCare plan and the opaque manner in which his allies enacted it in Congress certainly turned off a whole lot of people, and there are some who oppose him for his connections to Planned Parenthood, ACORN, and radicals like William Ayers, Bernadette Dohrn, and Jeremiah Wright.

In other words, after more than two years in the Oval Office, Obama has given people plenty to dislike. But according to Obama, there’s only one reason why anyone would oppose him:

In May 2010, he told guests at a private White House dinner that race was probably a key component in the rising opposition to his presidency from conservatives, especially right-wing activists in the anti-incumbent “Tea Party” movement that was then surging across the country. Many middle-class and working-class whites felt aggrieved and resentful that the federal government was helping other groups, including bankers, automakers, irresponsible people who had defaulted on their mortgages, and the poor, but wasn’t helping them nearly enough, he said.

A guest suggested that when Tea Party activists said they wanted to “take back” their country, their real motivation was to stir up anger and anxiety at having a black president, and Obama didn’t dispute the idea. He agreed that there was a “subterranean agenda” in the anti-Obama movement–a racially biased one–that was unfortunate. But he sadly conceded that there was little he could do about it.

Are there people who don’t like him because of his ethnicity? I’m sure there are, just as there are some people who refuse to criticize him for the same reason. But to claim that the phrase “take back [the] country” somehow reflects racism is to wake up and believe history started in 2009. Stacy McCain points out that Obama himself spoke at conferences titled “Take Back America” in 2006 and 2007, sponsored by liberal activist group Campaign for America’s Future, which has connections to the Tides Foundation and the Apollo Alliance, and that leads to …

So Obama spoke at the “Take Back America” conference, sponsored by a sister organization of the think tank that co-sponsored the Apollo Alliance, whose board member Van Jones was appointed as “green jobs czar” by Obama, who subsequently declared it was racist to want to “Take Back America.”

Maybe Obama should take back that accusation.

Comments

Mistakes, I can stomach. Unfettered arrogance, I cannot.

OldEnglish on March 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

This charge of racism is directed at me, and has been repeated so often that I’m inclined to believe it. Usually I respond to how people behave; act like a gangster thug and I’ll conclude that you are a gangsta thug.

Adopting the democrat assumption that people share common motivations I’ll presume that Obama’s performance as a black man, as president, reflects on how other black man would preform in similar circumstances.

So the only reasonable conclusion a racist bigot like myself can reach is Obama has so poisoned politics that black skinned people are either Marxists, or sell out Uncle Toms.

So I have to agree with the president, I am a racist.

Skandia Recluse on March 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Far more people voted for him because of his color than voted against him because of his color.

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I’ve heard many black people, devoted Christians included, criticize and vilify President Bush. Racism? Must BE!

ExpressoBold on March 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Let’s make a deal…we will trade Obama for Thomas Sowell…that should put to rest who is “bias”…

right2bright on March 8, 2011 at 8:17 AM

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Yes, and the constant cries of “racist” at every critic during the campaign worked well for him. Now we can see that the shape the 2012 campaign will be more of the same.

ProfessorMiao on March 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM

It’s one thing to theorize. It’s completely another to submit proof to support your theory. Racism may explain some attitudes against him, but does it explain all of them? I don’t think so. Alas, leave it to a liberal to make a one-size-fits-all argument that is intellectually dishonest and incomplete.

ted c on March 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I think he actually believes this. Scary.

carbon_footprint on March 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM

subterranean agenda

He’s got me there. Drill, dumbass, drill.

trubble on March 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I only hate his white half, hate it with a passion.

His black half ……. meh.

So, am I racist ??

Why am I posting in the AnninCa style ??

Jerome Horwitz on March 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM

May 2010 was a few months before the left started figuring out that the race card was maxed out.

apostic on March 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Wouldn’t matter if Obama was white, brown, pnk, blue or purple he would still be a bad president.

philly_PA on March 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I have this argument with libs all the time. I despise him because he is a liberal democrat, not because he is black. I despised Hilary and John Kerry too.

ctmom on March 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM

If Obama loses In 2012, he’s going to make Jimmy Carter”s ex-presidency look like a model of tact and decorum.

jon1979 on March 8, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Not color, character.

Thump. Cling.

publiuspen on March 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM

What does race have to do with trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see?

tim c on March 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Ain’t his Black half. Or his White half. It’s his Red center.

BigAlSouth on March 8, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Resurrecting the race meme will not cut it this go round. Axelrod had better restrategize his game plan.

onlineanalyst on March 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Dear LORD, Barack Obama is a little man.

G. Charles on March 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I was brought up by my white parents to judge ones character by their actions; period, end of story… My wife and I brought up our (3) kids with the same principle. Now, after watching Obama and his minions play the race card to it’s maximum extent, and watching some 95% of colored Americans jump in on this racist behavior, we no longer see our world the same way. Sad but true.

Keemo on March 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

If he actually believes this crap, he will become the Jessie Jackson of former presidents when he gets booted from office. The man is going to be insufferable and a non-stop TV presence.

Does anyone think he will be able to fade into the background while his successor cleans up the mess he will leave behind? The guy blamed Bush non-stop for at least his entire first year, he still uses the line “policies of the last decade”-wink-wink.

Mord on March 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM

OT breaking. 3x fed marshalls shot in St. Louis within last hour.

ted c on March 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM

The man is going to be insufferable and a non-stop TV presence.
Mord on March 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM

So, in other words, nothing is going to change? Thought so..

sicoit on March 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Keemo on March 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I totally understand.

ladyingray on March 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM

The race card is a little worn…..we’re all racists! And here, I almost expected Obama to blame Boooosh again.

search4truth on March 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

sicoit on March 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM

The difference will be seen when he pays no price for the things he says and won’t have to pretend to guard the dignity of high office anymore. It will be fun.

Mord on March 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

ProfessorMiao on March 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM

How many of those people firmly believe that they have paid their debt to history by their prior vote and no longer owe anything for past racism they never engaged in or bigotry they never felt? If Jug-ears wants to play that card again, I think he will find a lot of Americans saying: “Oh, puhleeze”.

SKYFOX on March 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Hahahaha, that’s just priceless. The African American gets elected POTUS and turns right around and blames his critics for being racist. If he doesn’t get re-elected, will that be because the majority of Americans are racist? What other explanation could there be? His arrogance is just stunning.

scalleywag on March 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Marxists of any strip throw lies and smears at their opponents to delegitimize any opposition to their way of thinking.

rbj on March 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM

My goal is to make them all take back the idea of fundementally changing America, and go away for 1,000 years.

golfmann on March 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I’m not racist. I can’t stand his white half either.

glockomatic on March 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Calling us racists is how zero consoles himself from the reality that his policies are failing. It’s not his policies that we are against, it’s him because he’s black. That is how he sees the world.

Kissmygrits on March 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Narcissists think they’re right about everything. Mr. President truly believes his policies couldn’t possibly have anything to do with citizens wanting to “take back their country, which shows just how out of touch he is with the average American citizen. Now just what would you blame peoples lack of confidence and disappointment in Congress for? His remarks once again show a level of ignorance that has no place in the White House.

scalleywag on March 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Barack Hussein Obama was elected POTUS despite the fact he campaigned for oil rich Iraq to be ceded to al Qaeda and Iran.

The pure idiocy of this position was never examined by the media (or the GOP for that matter). Once al Qaeda announced, in 2005, that Iraq was the central front in its war against America, withdrawal without defeating al Qaeda was not an option. Victory in Iraq became a necessity. The Surge and the Anbar Awakening made it a reality.

If Obama had had his way al Qaeda today would have a home in Iraq; the world would be less safe and America’s status as the leader of the free world would have suffered a death blow.

I am shocked when Obama gets anything right. The incompetence was there for all to see.

Basilsbest on March 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Kissmygrits on March 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I agree and then some… One does not spend 20 years in the church of hating white people; one does not surround himself with people who have a history of attacking American values… Well, you get my drift. The writing was on the wall but was completely ignored because of America’s desire for our first black President. Huge blunder for the history books. What a blow to race relationships here in America, as it would have been so different if the likes of Cane or West had become our first potus of color. Obama sees the color of ones skin, Cane and West see the American dream…

Keemo on March 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I am so sick of this fool for a president. He has mastered being arrogant, incompetent, golfing, creating HUGE deficits, poor decisions, refusing to drill in the gulf, and intentionally working to “fundamentally change America”.
He is the epitome of Affirmative Action- hiring the (far) less qualified black guy over the more qualified white guy.
Heaven help us survive.

3dpuzzman on March 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Worth repeating:

Keemo on March 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

chemman on March 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM

As stated before, the race card has been pretty well played out. There just aren’t any left in the deck. It became pretty well meaningless after the election. If Americans were racist he would never be president. I hope he keeps the meme going. As with Walter E. Williams, Col. West, Herman Cain, Thomas Sowell, et al, they do believe in America. Obama; not so much.

BetseyRoss on March 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I seriously dislike Obowmao (including feeling physically ill when I accidentally hear his voice on the news). I am really sorry that I ever started paying attention to politics because life was simpler and less frustrating when I was just happy in my own neighborhood! (:

screwauger on March 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Barry’s got as much justification to call himself the 44th white male President as the second (or is it first?) black President…..

Incompetence knows no color of skin: Just content of character.

HBowmanMD on March 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Why all the complaining? We have a president who has mastered arrogance, golfing, creating HUGE deficits, poor decisions, “free” health care, refusing to drill the gulf, and intentionally working to “fundamentally change America.”
He is the epitome of affirmative action- hiring the (far)less competent black guy over the more competent white guy.
Heaven help us survive.

3dpuzzman on March 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

ctmom on March 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM

So you are a mysoginist and you hate rich people too? (/sarc)

I’m tired of the victim card.

kringeesmom on March 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM

As far as the racist Barak H. Obama is concerned, color me pissed!

Yoop on March 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM

So Barry is already bringing out the RACE card.

GarandFan on March 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Still just a punk with a chip on his shoulder.

CurtZHP on March 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I didn’t, and don’t support Obama’s policies. I didn’t vote for him. However….I did feel it was an important day, when America had it’s first black president.

That being said…I expected more, and he didn’t deliver. Not just in bad policies, but in attitude. Not ALL people, and certainly not Tea partiers specifically oppose him because of his color. It is indeed, as has been said…his character.

Is it just possible Obutthead, that there are people that will rail against the communism you want to inter on EVERY American? Well? Is it??? I say YES it is possible.

You’re just to hung up on yourself to admit it. But you already know it.

capejasmine on March 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Race cards.
All 52.

Talk about your stacked deck.

TimBuk3 on March 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Mistakes, I can stomach. Unfettered arrogance coupled with unfettered megalomania and a extremely thin skin, I cannot.

Fixed it

SeniorD on March 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I’d wager that there are a few million Americans who vogted for Obama because they’d not be seen as “racist” want to “take back their country” as well as take back their vote.

On a related matter…should we expect a huge spike in terrorism since Obama decided to keep Gitmo open? After all, his main rationale for closing it was that it was the major recruiting tool for Islamic terrorists.

684 days until we once again have a real President in the White House and real adults running things.

coldwarrior on March 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

The man has a point.
I LOVE John F’n Kerry…
Barack, not so much…

Haiku Guy on March 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Racism is just the handy excuse for his failure to recognize what an abject failure he is as a leader and president. It’s not even worth dignifying with an intelligent response, but surely the MSM will pick up on this meme when 2012 heats up.

redfoxbluestate on March 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I’m a member of the human race, and most of what the Obamacrats have done is anti-human: they are attacking human transportation, production, employment, food supply, and energy sources. They are blowing up dams and taking human’s land and giving it to other species.

So it is the Obamacrats who are RAAAAACISSSTS!!!

landlines on March 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM