Open thread: Five GOP candidates to scrimmage in Iowa

posted at 7:30 pm on March 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Live at 8 p.m. ET on C-SPAN, this is as close as it gets to kick-off for the primaries. No Palin and no Huck, which isn’t surprising given how coy they’re being about their intentions, but I’m surprised that Romney is skipping it. There were rumbles a while back that he’s thinking of blowing off Iowa this time, dismissing it as a lost cause given the heavy social con presence. Here’s your first really solid piece of evidence that that’s true.

Tonight’s line-up: Pawlenty, Gingrich, Santorum, Herman Cain, and Buddy Roemer(?), only one of whom stands a shot at winning the nomination. Ramesh Ponnuru sizes up his chances:

He would probably beat Romney in a head-to-head race, too. Like Romney, Pawlenty was elected governor of a blue state in 2002. But there are at least five big differences between them that primary voters may find tell in the Minnesotan’s favor. First, Pawlenty was elected as a conservative whereas Romney ran as a moderate. Second, Pawlenty pursued a more confrontational strategy: He didn’t cut any grand bipartisan deal, as Romney did with Ted Kennedy on health care. Third, and as a result, Pawlenty’s record does not include anything as likely to offend conservative voters as Romney’s Massachusetts health-care law, which made the purchase of health insurance compulsory.

Fourth, Pawlenty won reelection in his blue state, even in 2006, which was a slaughterhouse of a year for Republicans. Romney, by contrast, left the governorship after one term: He was unable to position himself as a conservative for a presidential run while staying popular in his home state. Fifth, Pawlenty has an ability to connect to blue-collar voters that Romney has never demonstrated…

If Pawlenty loses, then, it is likely to be because the primary never becomes a Pawlenty-Palin or Pawlenty-Romney race. Breaking out of the pack is Pawlenty’s challenge. The slowness of the current presidential race works in his favor. It’s slower than the 2008 race for two reasons. Pawlenty is one of the few candidates without a Fox News contract. Most of the other candidates are waiting to declare themselves officially in the race because when they do they will lose the ability to reach a lot of Iowa and New Hampshire voters while getting paid for it. And the primary rules have been altered to encourage states to hold their contests later. These two factors could make Pawlenty a tortoise in a field of hares.

If Huck doesn’t run, he’d have a fair shot at winning Iowa. If Palin doesn’t run either, he’d have a great shot, and would then start eyeing an upset in South Carolina as the newly designated “viable anti-Romney” candidate in the field. But if Huckabee does run? Well, then this year’s Minnesota winter will be extra cold and lonely, my friends.

RCP has a fun preview of tonight’s event featuring the executive director of the Iowa GOP comically straining to hype the hell out of it. (“If you stumble, it could very well be the end. It’s that big.”) T-Paw’s challenge is simple: Don’t let Gingrich, Cain, and/or Santorum overshadow you with barnburner speeches. If they do and he ends up as an afterthought, it’ll feed the “he’s too bland to win” narrative. Exit question: Why isn’t Michele Bachmann there tonight? She’s an Iowa native and can dish rhetorical red meat better than any of these five. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Fred!!!!

onlineanalyst on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

So I guess this helps Romney then? He IS the front runner ya know?

Skandia Recluse on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Can’t anyone defeat the Wrecking Ball?

PappyD61 on March 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

The media and left has already told you the only person that can defeat BHO. People just aren’t listening to them hard enough….

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Fred!!!!

onlineanalyst on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I’m in…again.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

So I guess this helps Romney then? He IS the front runner ya know?

Skandia Recluse on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

sure he is. Take huck out of the polls and Palin wipes the floor with Mitt. In fact I think that is the only reason they are placing him in the polls to begin with…

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

So it just wasn’t me then….I thought it was having a jerry fawell moment there for a second…

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM

It was the only thing I heard that made me pick my head up off the keyboard………zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Can’t anyone defeat the Wrecking Ball?

PappyD61 on March 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Yes, Herman Cain can do this. It’ll take an accomplished American with CEO experience, common sense knowledge of markets, a strong sense of family, faith, the American Dream and a man who can speak openly and honestly about the state of our Nation and the fate that awaits our children if BHO remains in power.

His right hand man should be Allen West, American War Hero who is not afraid to call Obama what he is…. An incompetent, effette arugula eating buffoon.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM

his speech was really really bad wasn’t it. As soon as I found out it wasn’t his girlfriend I tuned him out again…

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

true I heard Trump on Savage tonight. He talks a good game. It would be fun to see him in the debates…

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Trump is another one I’m skeptical about. I read an article about him and his current stand on some issues. Pro-life, etc., but in an interview in 1999 he took the exact opposite stance on all those same points. Economically, I like him. But I’m leery of him otherwise.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Take huck out of the polls and Palin wipes the floor with Mitt.
unseen on March 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Huck’s not running. He’s got a taste of real money for the first time in his life and he likes it and I’m betting his wife likes it even more.

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

He donated to the midget ballerina’s mayoral campaign-that tells me all I need to know.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

you know if you place woman in there instead of man and small business owner instead of CEP you pretty much described Gov Palin…just saying…

I personally think a samll business onwer is mor eof what we need to get main street back on its feet than a CEO…..

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

agreed which is why I would like to see a poll with out him in it.

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

O/T but more important. Old Dominion Univ. is going to the dance.

Cindy Munford on March 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Congrats on that. I don’t think any “big school” will be happy about having to face them in the first round.
They looked pretty tough.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Economically, I like him. But I’m leery of him otherwise.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

same here. I don’t think we need a CEO at this time. Wall street and big business is not the ones having the major problems. It’s main street and mom and pop that are having the problems they can’t afford lobbyists

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I heard some people trying to defend that because no repubs were running. My thought was, “Ok, so why not just stay out of it?”

He does a lot of biz in Chitcago, that’s probably why.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I have a FB friend who adores Huck. He’s a nice guy and I’ve pointed out to him that most conservatives conservatives I know of-both online and in ‘real’ life consider Huck to be poison. His most recent response was that since I live near Chicago I probably know very few conservatives-other than me and mine-to begin with.
I’ve mentioned HA but he thinks it too ‘mainstream’ GOP.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM

He does a lot of biz in Chitcago, that’s probably why.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I think that is what he told El Rushbo the other day!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Greta is getting tough with the Newt and asking him about his infidelities.

You go girl.

BTW, Greta is having all 5 on her show tonight.

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM

We did pick up a good slogan tonight..”You Go Buddy”..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I think that is what he told El Rushbo the other day!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Yeah, I caught a lot of that interview. I could see him as a cabinet guy, but I don’t think he’d take it. I just don’t like the thought that he has done a 180 on some social issues since ’99.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Obama has soooo poisoned the body politic that any black candidate is assumed to be a Marxist by half the population and a turn coat sell out uncle tom by the other half.

Obama and the democrats have so polarized the electorate that skin color is the first characteristic noticed. It’s the unexpected side effect of affirmative action, and special favors politics. Any of the special interest factions in the democrat party are immediately discounted because of decades of special treatment.

“No unemployed need apply”

Skandia Recluse on March 7, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Greta is getting tough with the Newt and asking him about his infidelities.

You go girl.

BTW, Greta is having all 5 on her show tonight.

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Calista is a Catholic who sings in the choir of the National Shrine?
I’m Catholic-and I have a BIG problem with that.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Herman Cain is next on Greta.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Wow! This was a great evening of speeches! I missed Cain and most of Gingrich, so I’ll be catching the repeat, but I was impressed by Roemer’s guts in saying ethenol isn’t a good idea (I liked how he emphasized “four rows out of every ten”). I was *very* impressed by Pawlenty’s impassioned speech… I didn’t know he cold give a barn-burner! He’s always seemed so mild-mannered to me. Santorum, whom I’ve always loved, gave a great speech that had my in tears by the end with that last story he told.

All in all, a GREAT evening!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Newt was a lot more polite to Greta for her infidelity question than he was to that lowly college student the other day. Creep.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I wasn’t following politics as closely back in 1996 than I do now.

Why did Newt not run for President in 1996? Wasn’t he in his heyday then as Speaker? Couldn’t he have beaten Dole?

technopeasant on March 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM

All in all, a GREAT evening!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM

What the hell were you watching

katy the mean old lady on March 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Aslans Girl on March 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I admire your passion for the issues, and I thought TP and RS hit the right talking points, but they don’t deliver a speech very strong in my opinion. We need a firebrand. Only Cain showed that to me. Palin is the other.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

He does a lot of biz in Chitcago, that’s probably why.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I think that is what he told El Rushbo the other day!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM

that and Rahm’s brother Ari is Trump’s agent.

redridinghood on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

If Palin gets the nod maybe she’ll pick T-Paw as her veep.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM

that and Rahm’s brother Ari is Trump’s agent.

redridinghood on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

You are correct!..Thanks for that info!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM

technopeasant on March 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM

IMO, it was because the good-old-boys club at the RNC had decided that it was Dole’s turn, and Newt knew it.
In retrospect, I’m kind of glad. Knewit it is a fraud to me.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM

When the press starts to badger the current crop of runners to tone down and moderate, how many of them will actually hear that siren song?

I say that with the exception of Cain, ALL of them will back down when the heat is applied. Of course, if Palin decides to jump in at the last moment, all bets are off.

itzWicks on March 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

that and Rahm’s brother Ari is Trump’s agent.

redridinghood on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Isn’t there a 3rd brother-an MD-that’s big into rationing etc?
Ezekiel?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

that and Rahm’s brother Ari is Trump’s agent.

redridinghood on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I had forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

unseen on March 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM

You are exactly correct. Palin is and will be more effective from an electoral standpoint than any woman ever has ben. I believe that she realizes the depth of the responsibility she will undertake as The King Maker in 2012.

/She’ll have BHO clean up the little brown nuggets she leaves behind for him.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Isn’t there a 3rd brother-an MD-that’s big into rationing etc?
Ezekiel?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Not sure of the name, but I believe you are correct, madam alt.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

It’s Palin v. Romney. Palin will be rolling by the third or fourth primary, and it will soon be over. The hunger for authenticity in our culture and among conservatives is overwhelming, and still peaking. It’s not correct to say Palin has it, but rather that she is it.

Cain’s problem is simply that he hasn’t been vetted. This is always the problem with business people and non-politicians. There is the kook potential, as in Perot. How do we know? This is why politics is a profession.

Pawlenty is strictly VP material. Huckabee isn’t running. Gingrich is a cold fish and could never win the love.

rrpjr on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

We did pick up a good slogan tonight..”You Go Buddy”..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM

“How Buddy Can Win”…upcoming story in NRO, no doubt.

ddrintn on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

“How Buddy Can Win”…upcoming story in NRO, no doubt.

ddrintn on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

LoL!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

rrpjr on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

You WH peeps are just so gosh darned cute. We love ya so much.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM

No Palin??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

NickDeringer on March 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Why, she’s at home , watching the start of the GOP VP race….

the_nile on March 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Heh.

I don’t think she saw many options tonight. Maybe Cain, but a governor or senator who can help deliver a state would be more practical. Still, she’s quite unconventional, so anything’s possible.

As for Pawlenty, and the same goes for Romney, it’s best to just be themselves. It’s like looking at bad plastic surgery or a toupee. Just comes off as phony. Mitt is rich and should drive around in a limo wearing a top hat. Own your image. “I’m rich and I can help the country be rich again.” Something like that. I’ve never been to a Wallmart because there weren’t any in my area growing up. Doesn’t mean I’m not qualified to be president or can’t connect to the people. These guys need to be themselves. That’s the first step. If Pawlenty comes off as dull, so be it! Better than fake.

Dongemaharu on March 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM

This is why politics is a profession.
rrpjr on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

And that’s why Cain is so appealing. I’m sick of career politicians and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Knucklehead on March 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM

haha, that opens up the Czar of Forgery position don’t it?

OkieDoc on March 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Isn’t there a 3rd brother-an MD-that’s big into rationing etc?
Ezekiel?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Not sure of the name, but I believe you are correct, madam alt.

predator on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Yes, he is the oldest of the 3 & favors universal healthcare.

redridinghood on March 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM

haha, that opens up the Czar of Forgery position don’t it?

OkieDoc on March 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I wouldn’t dismiss the actions of these collective states to be irrelevant.

Can you ever recall an election before 2008 that didn’t thoroughly vet a candidate? I can’t.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I’m so bored I can’t punctuate.

pugwriter on March 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Shouldn’t that be…

Im so bored I cant punctuate

?

;)

powerpro on March 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM

You’ll have more respect for Donald Trump if you read the text of his testimony before Congress a few years ago regarding the real-estate needs of the United Nations, when their main building needed renovations.

Emperor Norton on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Fred!!!!

onlineanalyst on March 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Me too.

I don’t think Cain is any further out of the public eye than Palin was at this time last year. I think her rise after the nomination for VP is indicative of the kind of response the right newcomer could possibly get if they play the cards right.

TexasDan on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM

We did pick up a good slogan tonight..”You Go Buddy”..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM

“How Buddy Can Win”…upcoming story in NRO, no doubt.

ddrintn on March 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

By Ramesh Ponnuru!

pugwriter on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I’m so bored I can’t punctuate.

pugwriter on March 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Shouldn’t that be…

Im so bored I cant punctuate

?

;)

powerpro on March 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM

See my post just previous to that one. It’s ugly.

pugwriter on March 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM

TexasDan on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Herman Cain will defeat BHO in the 2012 election.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

“Yes We Cain”

/Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet justice from a True American

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

The fact that T-Paw had to participate in this forum speaks volumes. Its laughable to think he has a chance at the nomination. He just doesn’t fit in with the Establishment and with the Tea Party, the two dominant groups going head to head in this process.

The real contenders all sat this out for one reason, because they could. Those are for those who don’t know is Palin, Romney, Huckabee, Christie, Daniels, Bush, Jindal, Perry, and Huntsman. If Huckabee doesn’t run, Palin can have a strong shot at winning Iowa and South Carolina. If he does run then it will be a duel match between he and Palin for Iowa and the winner there will most likely be a strong favorite for South Carolina.

Though I would hesitate on this when it comes to Huckabee for the simple fact that he refuses to raise money. How can a Baptist preacher have trouble raising money? It doesn’t make sense and it makes me believe that he is just playing the role of spoiler as he did last time to allow McCain to win the nomination. The fact that he hates Romney, may compel him not to play that same role again, but at the right price (he did get Foxnews show after his 2008 role) maybe he’ll hold his nose to stop Palin for Romney, because frankly he’s the only person the GOP side who can do it.

milemarker2020 on March 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

milemarker2020 on March 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Jindal’s running for releection in LA-and he’s going to win.
He’s not running for pres in 2012.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

We need leadership from someone who says what they believe, and does what they say.
Cain’s got balls. Palin’s got balls. Bachmann’s got balls. They each are capable of saying and doing what needs to be expressed and accomplished.

They believe virtually (>94%) the same thing.
The first two have a touch more executive experience. This includes writing their name on the front of the check, not the back. Any of those three, combined in some fashion with the likes of Allen West, the ‘stache (Bolton), or some other foreign policy hawk… and we’d have a dream ticket.

knob on March 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

OT but very newsworthy: Michelle Malkin’s cousin is missing.

“She is a University of Washington undergrad and she has been missing since Saturday afternoon, when she left the Rainier Beach neighborhood headed to the UW Seattle campus. Her parents have been trying to reach her all weekend; she apparently never made it to campus and has not been heard from by phone/Internet. They’ve filed a missing persons report with the Seattle Police Department. Hospitals have been alerted, according to family members, and bus and train routes have been checked. No sign.”

Dark-Star on March 7, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Darn-it I missed it all because of a paycheck.

How did Nixon do?

Limerick on March 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Being black was an advantage for Obama. The media and other liberals loved him. Blacks and othet minorities voted overwhelming for him. Millions of whites voted for him to rid themselves of “white guilt” and to prove they are not racists.

It may work against Cain. He won’t get the minority or liberal vote and white voters may be reluctant to vote for another black man so soon after seeing Obama screw up.

bw222 on March 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Apparently Michelle Malkin’s cousin suffers from depression.

bw222 on March 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Dear God, I hope so!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Of the group tonight, T-Paw might have the best shot, but I am willing to bet the nominee wasn’t on stage in Iowa tonight, unless it’s Buddy Roemer. LOL!

bw222 on March 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM

bw222 on March 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Cain isn’t going to get much in the way of any black votes so anyone with that in their head just forget about it.

He was the best of the five but I think I would rather see what he does when he has to juggle the demands of constituents.

sharrukin on March 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM

OMIGOSH about Michelle’s cousin. Let’s pray for her safe return.

On the other hand, when are they rebroadcasting this show? Monday night is my favorite night for trashy tv shows.

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM

If I had a choice right now it would be Ryan. Pawlenty, or Trump. Yes I’m a Conservative, but I don’t want any retreads. Before you attack, in a perfect World Palin would be my choice. Unfortunately they have pretty much destroyed her chances.

sandee on March 8, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Unfortunately they have pretty much destroyed her chances.

sandee on March 8, 2011 at 12:38 AM

And its great that Ryan, Pawlenty, and Trump will be treated in a gentlemanly fashion by the media and the left.

sharrukin on March 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

sharrukin on March 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I’m a Pawlenty supporter but let’s get real-ANY and EVERY GOP contender will be be raked across the coals by the usual suspects.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM

/She’ll have BHO clean up the little brown nuggets she leaves behind for him.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’m getting damned sick of this “kingmaker” sh!t.

I won’t say it’s sexist, but it’s chickensh!t to say the least.

First off, anyone who needs a kingmaker IS NOT FIT TO BE KING.

Second, anyone who CAN be a kingmaker can be the king herself.

Sarah Palin has more experience and a better record than ANYONE even thinking about running for President.

Why in the hell would she work her ass off for someone else who is inferior to her?

Especially an absolute nobody like Herman Cain. I like Cain and was talking him up (as a good Conservative) before most around here ever heard of him. BUT the man has no record at all.

Cain has never run a city, never run a state, never done ANYTHING.

All he has is a great speech. He has no record whatsoever of actually being able to turn that speech into results. NONE.

It’s beyond idiotic to think sane people would trust the United States of America to someone like him. The United States is at the edge of the abyss. We need a PROVEN LEADER, not a speech.

gary4205 on March 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I know. I was being sarcastic and given how unhinged the left is I didn’t think it needed a tag, but I guess with the low quality trolls we have I should have gone with one anyway.

They will Palinize anyone who runs.

sharrukin on March 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM

sharrukin on March 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Sorry-Aspie moment.
Yeah-I know you were being sarcastic.
I was agreeing with you.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 8, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Rush did a great job summing up the dilemma of the election of 12. Do we settle for a policy wonk that won’t explain WHY Obama has run this country into the ground, or do we just put the independents to sleep being a policy wonk and not connect the dots for the not plugged in electorate? He spent a considerable amount of time talking about how delicate of a balance this is going to be to not savage Obama personally, yet not be afraid to take the man on. He did say that the candidate is going to have to be Reaganesque in style, and after you read through his discussion with 3 callers, down at the end of that segment, he and the caller do a pretty good job at summarizing how to get the point across effectively. AND the caller mentioned that a “palin type” would have to do it. As we know, our mamma grizzley is not shy that way. This is why I think Palin drives knucklehead nuts, I think knucklehead wants a policy wonk that won’t take aim at obama directly for fear of alienating independents. Rush points out that the dems constantly are savage against conservatives and NEVER worry about alienating independents because they know the main stream press has their backs.

You might need Rush 24/7 to have access to this, but I think it is a great read or listen if you can download the audio. I am not sure which hour of the show it was, as I read the transcript on his site.

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Didn’t listen…Attacking the obamanation’s policies/programs and their effects is the way to go. While not directly using the obamanation’s name, the connection will be there for all to see and hear…

Gohawgs on March 8, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Can’t anyone defeat the Wrecking Ball?

PappyD61 on March 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Thank You! I thought I was the only one looking at these two gentlemen. I’ll quibble with you a bit and push West to the top of the ticket as my preference- but I’d take either one of these guys over any of those losers the media has been pushing as the “front runners” any day of the week.

Browncoatone on March 8, 2011 at 5:14 AM

I need a 2012 Presidential Bracket. Mr. PPF’s NFL nor high school wrestling will work for me. If I do prepare one, would it have to be prepared by state?

And after each candidate wins by state, then prepare another bracket until the “chosen one” gets to the GOP convention?

ProudPalinFan on March 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM

There must be some serious laughter going on at the White House after this “scrimmage”.

Just imagine what the world and the U.S. Might look like after 6 more years with the Wrecking Ball (and Progressives) having free reign!! No GOP brakes on spending, no opposition, another $10 Trillion in debt.

How does the US survive?

PappyD61 on March 8, 2011 at 7:06 AM

T-Paw 2012…

mjbrooks3 on March 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM

For a good laugh, you need to check this out…LOL

idesign on March 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM

omg…thanks for a refreshing good morning news here in Dreamland! Especially the 0.39 ppg. My vehicles will sip that up and my wallet will be very, VERY happy.

ProudPalinFan on March 8, 2011 at 7:16 AM

gary4205 on March 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Keep posting. Your logic is simple, direct, and incisive.

fossten on March 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Well, this event will be quickly forgotten … who was there again?

darwin on March 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Well, this event will be quickly forgotten … who was there again?

darwin on March 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I couldn’t tell you without cheating.

steebo77 on March 8, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Could T-Paw deliver his own state?

james23 on March 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

“King Maker” means “using her considerable talent to help some other no talent win.” A very worn out meme. Suggest you find someone who can beat the “Kingmaker” at the polls, because if she decides to go to work again in 12 as she did in 08 and 10,its going to be for her own account, this time.

james23 on March 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Just make my bunkmate Christiano Ronaldo, and I’m ready to go ;)

JetBoy on March 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

ProudPalinFan on March 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM

LOL!..I hate The Donald was not there!..:)

Dire Straits on March 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

He can’t b/c of The Apprentice.

ProudPalinFan on March 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Yes, Herman Cain can do this.

Key West Reader on March 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Herman Cain, the Steve Forbes of the 21st century!

ebrown2 on March 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I’ve been running a series of straw polls on my blog about 2012 GOP primaries… The results so far have been interesting, Sarah Palin was the top vote getter in first two rounds, but early in the third round she’s trailing Herman Cain and Liz Cheney.

Anyway, I’ll the question to you all: If the 2012 Republican Presidential Primary were being held today who would you vote for?

jasetaro on March 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for spending money in Iowa losers!

Sarah is not gonna draw down till she sees the 1/2 whites of Pinnochios’ bloodshot eyes!

Why not wait till gas is 4:50 a gallon and Pinnochio sells off all our reserves undermining our already weak national security and empowering his Islamic buddies.

Then Sarah can propose her solution cause ya know as soon as she does most of these five will try to steal some variation of it.

I personally think Sarah had just as well line up her VP. (Col. West), and her Treasury secretary (Steve Forbes) National security advisor (Rudy) and Sec. Def (John Bolton), HUD (Lynn Cheney) then announce her run as a package deal to save this country from the Commie rats that are ruining it presently.

If Sarah announces with that talent its over… Checkmatey!

Game, set, match!

dhunter on March 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM

PappyD61 on March 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

That doesn’t mean she’s not running merely that she won’t play by the lefts rules or those of the Good Old Boys club either.

Tried that last time, didn’t work, gonna try something new and different this time.

Think Outside the box!