Deficit Commission chair to kids: You need to focus more on debt and less on Snoopy Snoopy Poop Dogg

posted at 10:15 pm on March 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Words to live by, my friends, uttered here at 2:00 by a man I think of as part fiscal prophet, part Sheen-esque verbal shaman, and part “Walter, the grumpy old puppet.” My own preference has always been for Poop Dogg but there’s no denying the enema man’s talent. He’s got excellent, er, “flow.”

The clip’s long but worth watching in full, not merely because Simpson is cantankerously entertaining but because, as both a Democrat and a fierce deficit hawk, Erskine Bowles is a mythical creature come to life. Watch him lay into the insanity of our current budget “debate” at the very beginning. A new poll from The Hill shows that 95 percent of likely voters consider the national debt a somewhat or very important problem, a heartening sign that the public really has woken up to the gravity of the situation. Now all we need are solutions. A new idea to curb annual spending from Democrat Mark Udall and a tea-party-wooing Orrin Hatch:

In a major development on spending cuts, Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah and Democratic Sen. Mark Udall of Colorado are introducing a proposal for a new congressional committee focused only on eliminating duplicative and wasteful government spending…

The committee itself would consist of six Republicans and six Democrats. At least once a year, the committee would introduce legislation to reduce or eliminate duplicative or wasteful programs that would receive an up-or-down vote under the “reconciliation” rules that prevent a filibuster…

The Hatch-Udall team backing the bill also changes the landscape for a proposal once thought to only have a chance at passing the House. Now that the bill is “live” in the Senate, it could give momentum to the companion measure introduced in the House by freshman Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina.

I like it. Trimming the fat from redundant spending won’t balance the budget, but it should be hugely popular politically. And the more popular it is, the more leeway the committee might have to expand its jurisdiction beyond duplicative spending to look at discretionary (and nondiscretionary?) spending generally. It’s important to institutionalize the ethos of budget cuts, I think. A one-time deal, even on entitlement reform, can halt the inertia towards government bloat but unless there are institutional checks on it, it’ll eventually start grinding again. It pains me to say that more bureaucracy is better, but if it’s bureaucracy aimed at targeting the rest of the bureaucracy, at least it serves some virtuous end.

Comments

Simpson does have a way with words…

Gohawgs on March 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Aw, don’t be down on Snoop. He’s the guy who taught your grandma to inject “izzle” into the middle of words.

Caiwyn on March 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM

SecTreasury acknowledges to congress that the Obama budget is fantasy, and challenges congress with ‘what are you going to do about it’. The democrats in congress defend the budget, and these two clowns want to blame the voters?

Skandia Recluse on March 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Its a Pickle,I tells ya!!

canopfor on March 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM

The MSM Lied,they done have told me,
that Obama was going to the centre,and
is willing to compromise!!!

canopfor on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Let’s pass another (real) health care reform bill so we can eliminate the other.

Rovin on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

He would fare better if he would speak to actual adults.

OldEnglish on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Cantankerous Al Simpson:

Totenberg was confronted by one Thomas supporter, Republican Senator Alan K. Simpson, during and after the taping of an episode of Nightline. On the show, Simpson criticized Totenberg, saying “What politicians get tired of is bias in reporters. Let’s not pretend your reporting is objective here. That would be absurd.” After Totenberg defended her reporting and objectivity on the show, Simpson followed her out of the studio and continued to criticize her, even holding open the door of her limousine so she could not leave. “He was in a complete rage. He was out of control,” Totenberg said.[1][10] Accounts differ on Totenberg’s response, but she used what she called “choice epithets” and said: “I think I told him to shut the fuck up.”

Ted Torgerson on March 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Oh. My. God.

cynccook on March 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Damn kids shaking their hips to that Elvis Pressley fella.

swamp_yankee on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

‘When you waddle up to the window at 65 and you put
6.2 percent of all your jack in that thing’!
=============================================

OUCH!!!!

canopfor on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

The MSM Lied,they done have told me,
that Obama was going to the centre,and
is willing to compromise!!!

canopfor on March 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM
No, no, John McCain told us that whopper!

mobydutch on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Pants Onna Ground!

Kristamatic on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

These two remind me Statler and Waldorf.

Rocks on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Alan Simpson, I like you; but if you’re as incompletely uninformed about Wisconsin as you are about the budget and other issues, I can’t trust you.

PackerBronco on March 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

My estimation of Erskine Bowles rises. IMO, he was the consummate Clintonista Democrat when it came to running errands to get Slick out of trouble, generate contributions, whatever. He has risen above that, and is attacking the debt Junion inspires and supports, even as Junior flips off his “blue ribbon deficit comission”, which Junior and cadre picked. Ooops, should have picked people more loyal to Junior, I guess.

One abject failure, however…Hatch needs a committee with an uneven number of people. You may not get the decision you like, but unless Junior is there voting “present” or other eunuchs follow his path, a decision will be made. A problem with government now, IMO, is paralysis. They can’t do much, and in some areas this is a good thing.

Sometimes, it isn’t.

Harry Schell on March 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM

PackerBronco on March 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM
So true…and he spent like a drunken sailor during his “service” to our country.

mobydutch on March 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I could never be down on Snoopy. In fact, I’ve always had a soft spot for Snoopy. Along with Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, Sally, Pigpen, Schroeder, Shermie, Violet, Marcie and Peppermint Patty.

Bigfoot on March 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Yeah, that’s the ticket. Let’s create another committee. Hey Hatch, I’ll go you one better! Let’s create a cabinet position, “Secretary of Waste” designed with the task of reducing the size of government. And then we can add a few more blue-ribbon commissions all with the task of reducing the size of government. Then add a few more task forces, charged with reducing the size of government. I think we can add a special advisor to the president, tasked with the job of reducing the size of government. And then I would create a few more agencies …

Putz. I’ll give you the committee that can reduce the size of government. It’s called the friggin’ U.S. Senate.

DO YOUR JOB.

PackerBronco on March 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

These two remind me Statler and Waldorf.

Rocks on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I wish — then I could like them. Neil does sort of sound like a cross between Kermit and Fozzie, though.

cynccook on March 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Brilliant!

A duplicative committee to undo stupid stuff the Appropriations Committe is doing by continually funding these duplicative programs in the first place.

red winger on March 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Wow. I just clicked on Allah’s link. That Walter puppet looks exactly like Alan Simpson. Allah, how do you know all this stuff? Do you have a team of people ready to dredge up these references at a moment’s notice?

cynccook on March 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Reminds of of House Party, “Public Enema…”

reaganaut on March 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM

That’s it boys, another committee! The country’s in crisis, ponder the formation of another committee to look into it and report back once a year. That oughtta divert and placate the proles!

When do we get to primary Hatch and Udall?

obladioblada on March 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM

LOL!

jawkneemusic on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I like the idea of an anti-appropriations committee. It will help to cut through the collegiality thing in the Senate which is the primary cause of spending going in one direction only. We could use more direct competition in the Senate and less oligarchy and monopoly.

If we’re lucky their first decision will be to propose eliminating the Appropriations Committee.

Dusty on March 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Yeah? How so?

Chuck in Detroit on March 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM

a cannibalistic bureaucracy?….nah…can’t happen.

ted c on March 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I thought Obama was going to bend the cost curve or something. He didn’t say he was going to bend it up. Or was the taxpayer to bend over?

AZCON on March 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

These two remind me Statler and Waldorf.

Rocks on March 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Thank you!

Khun Joe on March 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

The people who listen to enema man and snoopy snoopy poop dog ARE Obama voters.

csdeven on March 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Can’t a guy just drink his Gin and Juice?

Left Coast Right Mind on March 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Why in the name of all that is holy would kids – kids – of all people want to pay attention to the deficit?

The damn ‘adult’ elected officials don’t seem to give a damn about it, so…

catmman on March 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Problem: Wasteful spending.

Solution: Yet another committee.

Give me a break :(.

Kevin M on March 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM

He needs to tell it to the “lady” who walks around with a frozen face and walks through every day Americans with a huge gavel in her hand daring them to say something, and whom beforehand she accused of being astro-turfing Nazis.

SouthernGent on March 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Pwned by ‘gramps’.

trigon on March 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I laughed way too hard at the name of this post. No matter how old I get, poop will always be a funny word.

laurakbarr on March 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I like Simpson too but if he willingly misstates the issues re: collective bargaining in Wisc, I have to agree with MobyDutch. Can’t be trusted.

Lonetown on March 8, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Bowles and Simpson are two very wise men and the country would be smart to listen to some of their suggestions, but we won’t. Simpson is also a very funny man and he always makes me laugh. The sad part is no one is listening, not even the talking heads at Fox. Cavuto can’t shut up long enough to let either man finish a thought before jumping in to prove just how smart he is, and in the process proves just the opposite. It is Fox that was the reason I got rid of cable a few years ago because I got tired of Bill, Megyn, and Neil interrupting every guest they have on. They’re not listening, they just want to talk. Now I’m not listening.

Fender54 on March 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM

and what have our politicians been doing for the last 50 years? Acting responsibly? NOT

Bevan on March 8, 2011 at 6:05 AM

The committee itself would consist of six Republicans and six Democrats.

Like those are the only choices?

percysunshine on March 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM

America……..Complete abandonment of Fiscal discipline!

These two clowns had to know their work was a freaking joke.

God help the survivors of the US!

PappyD61 on March 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM

I kind of like the old boy myself.

Terrye on March 8, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Can start by taking the troops and the cash we spend on South Korea out of Asia, And putting it all on the border with Mexico.

Korea has cash thanks to our security. Its time they got 45% of thier country to stop playing video games and live in the real world. And enough with the cold war bases. Sure Korea is a great stepping stone. But do they matter in the age of long range missles? Sorry hyndai users. Your time must go.

Gedge on March 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM

It’s important to institutionalize the ethos of budget cuts, I think.

That was my thought, as well. Such a mechanism has been notably missing from the federal government.

Count to 10 on March 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.
Pants on the ground.
Hat turned sideways, gold teeth in your mouth.
Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground. Pants on the ground!

jeffn21 on March 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Of course, we should fix the fiscal situation whether our kids advocate for themselves or not. My 5-year-old daughter can’t do much self-advocacy beyond what she wants to do on this particular day, but that doesn’t mean we should destroy her economic future.

When I used to work on the Hill, AARP lobbyists used to smugly point to their higher voting rates as reason enough as to why politicians should turn the treasury over to them at the expense of younger people who voted less. My answer to them: “You’re very lucky that previous generations didn’t shaft you with this attitude when you were too young to be heard.”

Chuckles3 on March 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Good frank stuff. But…..I would be able to grasp it better if Cavuto would stop interrupting and let a thought be finished. Know he’s trying to keep things focused but it would be better if he did it less often(for me). Did NOT like the ‘egg on their face’ remark about a gov. shut down. And what’s this stuff about the ‘little green check’?First it’s said they will still come and then they say no? Which is it? Never know who to believe these days, who’s lying and who’s telling the truth…on all fronts, not just SS. These two are no different I guess. Is there some obligation to get the Party shots in or what? At the expense of anything? Bah. Not as impressed as AP is.

jeanie on March 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

This guy’s good, for an old fart.
Enema Man and Snoopy Snoopy Poop Dogg ftw.

AlexB on March 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM

He better watch where he walks after that whack at the dogg. Rapsters do drive-bys for less than that.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM

“6.2% of all your jack”……would love to play poker with Simpson.

But No Dames….and leave your Heaters at the door.

Tim_CA on March 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I can’t believe he called Obama a pansy at the end of the clip… what was he thinking???

TheCulturalist on March 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Um, OMG, like, this old guy dusn’t, um, understand our generashion gineratioun kids our age, and I um think he’s bogus.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM